Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #1  
~one cool chickie~

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Height: 5'8"

Question High blood pressure and heart rate for exercise

Hiya girls! I have high blood pressure that is at the moment being untreated (I know I know, I should but I can't afford insurance; I am seeking help from the state tho so no worries). And I'm kinda scared to start exercising because I really don't know how HBP plays into this whole exercise thing. How much is too much? I don't plan on pushing myself cuz I'm just starting out, but I'd really love to hear from any of you ladies that either know about this or have HBP like me and are incorporating exercise into your quest for health. Any advice is welcome!

Last edited by honeybear; 04-29-2009 at 05:49 AM.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #2  
it's always something

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, and with no insurance it can be scary I also have HBP and do not have insurance. Here's what I would suggest for that - If you can't afford a doctors visit, find a walk-in clinic that is affordable. I've found that most doctors charge less if you don't have insurance. Call a few. Before you go, go to walmart.com and find the link to the pharmacy, then print out the list of $4 prescriptions. They have a whole section just for high blood pressure meds. Take the list and see if the doctor will prescribe something from there.

The good news is that regular exercise is a fantastic treatment for HBP. Walking, in particular, has been studied and shown to reduce blood pressure. You should also start slow. As far as how much is too much, only your doctor can tell you that.

Here's a good article from Mayo Clinic that might be of help http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...essure/HI00024

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #3  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

my b/f was diagnosed with hbp and i did some research and exercising actuallly brings it down, as far as no insurance, he doesn't have any either and the dr visit was $60 and the meds are $30 so thats not too bad.... also no alcohol or salty foods.... hope that helps
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

I lowered my blood pressure from about 140/90 to 120/70 in 2 months by increasing my water, watching my sodium, and increasing my cardio exercises like walking and biking. I was really, really hoping to avoid having to take blood pressure meds, but when I went back to the doctor, my heart rate was a little high, so they put me on Atenolol. Walmart and Target both offer that prescription for $4. So you should be able to get the prescribed meds for really cheap.

Also, you can check this site for a community health center in your area: findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/. They provide health care to you based on income and do not require insurance.
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #5  
Caden's Goofy Gramma

S/C/G: 219/203/160

Height: 5'2½"

First and foremost, get the OK from your health provider to exercise, diet, etc. That said and done, watch your sodium intake and get moving. And try to lose some weight. Sometimes that's enough to get those numbers within a normal level. Those were all things I was told back when. But even though I was able to do all those things, my B/P was not going to co-operate so I am taking medication at present. Been on different one. Right now it's Lisinopryl/HCTZ and it's helping keep those numbers in check. I do have a lot of "white coat" B/P issues, where it always is higher at the doctor's office than when I take it at home. But I trust my PA to know what's what.

Hopefully the state will be able to help you out, honeybear.
gg297 is offline   Reply With Quote