Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default confused?

i know this sounds ridiculous but i feel like if i drink too much water i will gain excess weight ..... where would all that water go ... my doctor recommended a gallon of water a day i know i dont pee a gallon so where does all that weight go

and secondly ...... if diet soda is zero calories why does it get such a bad wrap???

sorry if this question seems foolish to yous guys .... but i cant help but wonder and i know that there are people with enough experiance here to awnser these questions ..... when i ask other people they seem flabergasted ....
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You don't pee a gallon now because you don't drink a gallon Trust me, you'll pee a *lot* more.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

JulieJ08's right. Drink it and it will find a way out.

As for the diet soda I think it may be the abundance of chemicals in it, since its kind of a non-drink. It's a sugar-free version of a sugar drink that they still want to taste good. So I'm guessing there's been some chemical messing around to make that happen.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

Diet soda is full of artificial sweeteners and though it makes the soda calorie free, it does NOT make it healthy or good to drink. If you must drink soda, I guess diet soda is better but too much artificial sweetener is linked to some bad things so try to not drink diet soda if you can.
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

"They" say that diet soda can cause you to eat more, indirectly... thus causing you to gain weight. Let's say you drink a diet soda... to your body it looks like calories, tastes like calories and feels like calories, but there are no calories. So, your body gets all geared up to metabolize something and there's nothing there, so it's natural response is to request some fuel since it's all ready for it.

Makes sense to me, but lots of people have lost lots of weight drinking diet soda. Personally, I'm with the previous posters that the chemicals aren't good for you. Not to mention that carbonated drinks can contribute to osteoporosis later in life. The phosphorus (??) in the carbonation actually leaches calcium from your bones. That can't be good.

Personally, I stick to water and decaf iced tea. When I'm not nursing I also drink some coffee, but not a lot since the caffeine can actually have a diuretic effect.

Last edited by Gale02; 04-29-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #6  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Hehe... I meant to comment on the gallon of water a day thing. If you start drinking a gallon of water a day you will start peeing a whole lot more. I drink a little over 100 oz (usually) and I pee at least once per hour.

Last edited by Gale02; 04-29-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I drink about 80z water plus 5+ mugs of black instant coffee or tea. I get a LOT of exercize peeing.
Hm. That sounded slightly odd. The exercise comes from runnning upstairs to the bathroom!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #8  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I just found out that having plenty of water in your system keeps your metabolism running better. I can always tell when i haven't had my water for a couple days, my scale goes up.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Water does not leave our bodies only through urine. It is lost through sweat, and also through the breath--ever noticed that your breath is moist? In addition, water gets broken down by biochemical reactions and changed into something else. For example, the oxygen of a couple of H2O molecules may be transferred to a carbon to become carbon dioxide, which again, you breathe out.

That said, if you were to drink a gallon of water in a day, and pee into a gallon container, I think you'll find that a lot of water does come out that way.

Also, you should not be concerned about weighing more because of water. It's FAT that you are trying to lose.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Water is really good for you. Any change on the scales is usually temporary and is not fat.

Diet soda has too much sodium, artificial sweetners and, like Gale said, it has been linked to osteoporosis. Osteoporosis may not seem like an issue now, but this could become an issue for you after menopause if you don't take care of your bones now. I drink 1 diet Barq's every day. I believe that moderation is key.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I'm with Rhonda...moderation is key with diet soda. I will occasionally have a Diet Cherry 7-Up and only if I've gotten my water in for the day. It's like a treat for me now, instead of going with a meal.

As far as water, I drink around 150 oz of water a day...and I'm peeing constantly! So don't worry, it'll find a way out! And drinking water has definitely helped me lose weight.
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #12  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Foxxy, you've got some rockin' stats!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Aw shucks, thanks Jen!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I've always been a huge fan of water, my mother always encouraged us to drink up lots of water - she said it's good for the skin! turns out she's right!! As for the diet pop, it depends who you talk to. So many people feel like they're dieting and giving up the world and they cling to one last thing they refuse to give up I guess. I don't feel like I'm giving anything "up", rather I feel like I'm gaining access to everythign in the world!! so i treat soda like a big treat now, maybe on a saturday with the air popped popcorn and i feel like a rock star LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #15  
getting healthier!

S/C/G: 267/266/140's

Height: 5'7''

I just started drinking a lot more water.. and i feel like i'm alwayssss going pee. haha. i would totally believe it if I peed a gallon! haha
nik1305 is offline   Reply With Quote