100 lb. Club - Dominos breadbowl pasta

View Full Version : Dominos breadbowl pasta

thinpossible
04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
So I'm watching American Idol tonight, and there's a commercial for Dominos Breadbowl Pasta. Yep. You read that right. A bowl made of bread, filled with pasta. You know, in case your diet is deficient in carbs and fat. :faint: Can you believe that despite the obesity epidemic, they're coming up with new ways to pack food with more calories?! It's irresponsible, and it's pissing me off. :bomb:

Crazy4Kenny
04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I feel the same way about the Pepsi Throwback. Great idea.....let's add MORE sugar.

cfmama
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
bread

bowl...

pasta...

that. Is so wrong on so many levels.

Trazzie
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
And who know's what they're going to come up with if this things a hit.. I'm sure they can find something to smother it in.

Thighs Be Gone
04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
thinpossible, I agree with you...there really SHOULD be some measures put into place to make healthy eating more possible for our country...we have an obesity epidemic that is killing us literally--physically and financially and that is only the beginning of the havoc obesity entails..

It pisses me off even more to realize they $$$ those crappy restaurants charge only to turn out some garbage like that!

chickiegirl
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
You know what drives me nuts? When they stuff/wrap one meat with another. I think that's so gross. Kind of like the pasta-laying happening here. Everyone, get ready for a sugar crash.

stillclock
04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Shoot your teevees.

Seriously.

isolde

iGabbz
04-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Ugh! I feel the same way when I saw that commercial too. Its so irritating. They tell you to loose weight, but they do everything they can to prevent that, it seems.

x0me880x
04-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I saw a commerical for that thing for the first time today. Not only did it look nasty, I thought the concept of it was just completly disgusting. Disturbing that how unhealthy that is, all the fat, carbs, calories, is even legal.

Fox
04-29-2009, 12:18 AM
There's a food here (I've only seen it in NJ) that makes me feel the same way! It's pizza topped with baked ziti and most pizza places carry it. When I saw it I thought "are you kidding me?!?!"

Windchime
04-29-2009, 12:28 AM
This is how I felt about some horrible thing that KFC was selling. It was a bowl filled with mashed potatoes, topped with fried chicken chunks, corn, and then smothered in gravy. The only thing missing was the defibrilator.

Gale02
04-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Crazy4Kenny - I just read up on the Pepsi Throwback, I'd never heard of it before your post. I'm a little conflicted on the whole idea. On the one hand, it's good to see a company getting away from HFCS in some capacity. On the other hand, it's all sugar anyhow and using "real" sugar instead of HFCS doesn't make soda any healthier!

Strange. Whoda thunk that we'd actually be advertising things "made with real sugar!" like it's a good thing?

SuchAPrettyFace
04-29-2009, 01:52 AM
Crazy4Kenny - I just read up on the Pepsi Throwback, I'd never heard of it before your post. I'm a little conflicted on the whole idea. On the one hand, it's good to see a company getting away from HFCS in some capacity. On the other hand, it's all sugar anyhow and using "real" sugar instead of HFCS doesn't make soda any healthier!

Strange. Whoda thunk that we'd actually be advertising things "made with real sugar!" like it's a good thing?

It IS a good thing! :D HFCS is way worse for you than sugar could ever be. It's kinda making the soda a little better, in that at least our bodies know how to process sugar. You are absolutely 100% right, this does NOT make the soda "healthy" in some way. But they do get extra brownie points for recognizing the need was there for such a product. I thought I was going to go crazy a few years ago when 7-Up advertised their soda as ALL NATURAL. How, with HFCS (genetically modified) were they able to do that? Because corn is natural? :lol: It boggles the mind.

There's a whole subculture of people who search high & low for soda with real sugar. Mexican Pepsi & Coke, Jarritos, the kosher stuff @ Passover time, Jones Sodas, all of it.

barefootnikki
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
When i saw that pasta bread bowl beast i asked hubby "how many calories are in that monster?"... i could only imagine!

Meg
04-29-2009, 06:16 AM
I read that food manufacturers produce about 1000 extra calories per person per day over what we should eat to maintain a healthy weight (I think it was like 3600 produced as compared to 2500 needed for average maintenance). So they have to come up with ways to get us to eat more food than our bodies need. And they're very, very good at marketing, especially to children. When you think of it that way, it's outrageous! Our health is endangered to enrich the corporate bottom line.

JayEll
04-29-2009, 07:09 AM
The only thing missing was the defibrilator.

:rofl:

I saw those breadbowl ads too. I thought it looked really yummy. Of course! That's what an ad is supposed to show. Would I eat one? No way.

We have a choice about what we eat. If I'm going to eat 1000 calories in one meal, it is going to be a d***ed good meal! Not crap from a pizza place.

Jay

GirlyGirlSebas
04-29-2009, 07:10 AM
The first time I heard an advertisement for that bread bowl, they were touting it as "environmentally" friendly as there would be no trash to dispose of. My thirst thought was "save the earth and kill yourself." How ironic is that? It's like they were trying to convince the masses that they actually cared about something other than the almight dollar.

seashell
04-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Here's a link to the nutritional info on this carb and calorie nightmare. Not only does it look gross, but the stats on it are gross too.

www.yumyucky.com/All%20Pasta%20Combined.pdf

sept15lija
04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Wow, I'm shocked that it's "only" 700 calories! I would have thought it was a lot more. But yeah, the stats are gross - yowza the sodium!! I'd be retaining water for weeks.

And yeah those KFC concoctions are just scary...I always wonder what they'll come up with next. Ewww!!

foxxy511
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
It's not only 700 calories though! There are 2 servings per breadbowl!! That is ridiculous...they make their nutrition stats look lower by upping the number of servings. That could be someone's whole caloric allotment for the day...right there in one breadbowl...ick.

Jen415
04-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Why on earth do they think this is a good idea??? I don't get it.

As for diet soda....I save that for special occasions, like when I am out with friends having a rum and diet coke.

Pepsi Throwback? Glad I didn't hear about this one BEFORE I gave up sugar! LOL

Shannon in ATL
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I actually drank a Pepsi Throwback last night. I haven't given up sugar, I just don't have a lot of it, and I have maybe one soda every couple of months. Sometimes that soda is a diet, sometimes it isn't. I budgeted the calories in for the day, and afterward I didn't find myself snacky like I often am after a diet soda. I liked it, would probably do it again with the proper planning. They also have a Mountain Dew throwback, that one I'll skip. :)

time2lose
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM
While I think that it is a terrible product, I don't like the idea of the USA having food police. But why aren't they required to have food labels like packaged products we buy in the grocery store? Sometimes you have to go to extraordinary measures to get the nutritional information. When I walk into a restaurant, I want to know what I am getting even if I did not have time to search it out on their Web site. At the very least, be able to hand me a paper copy of the nutritional information. A warning label like is on cigarette packages seems appropriate also.

A few years ago, Ruby Tuesday's added the nutritional information for every item they serve to the description on the menu. It did not take long before they replaced that menu because they said that it hurt business. When people saw that they were ordering a dish with 1500 calories they thought twice..... as they should. If all restaurants had to add the nutritional information to the menu, I think it could make a difference.

Trazey34
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
This is how I felt about some horrible thing that KFC was selling. It was a bowl filled with mashed potatoes, topped with fried chicken chunks, corn, and then smothered in gravy. The only thing missing was the defibrilator.

sure it has buttery instaflake-style mashed potatoes, sweet kernel corn, KFC's signature artery-clogging gravy, KFC's equally fat-tastic popcorn chicken, but you forgot that it's all topped off with three kinds of melted cheese!! OMG can you say heart attack in a bowl!!! BUT their poutine is even worse!!! (fat and calorie wise) I've never even tried poutine, it sounds revolting even to the fatty me LOL

But as revolting and unhealthy as it is, I do NOT think the government should regulate what people can eat. If someone wants that as a day's calories so be it, it's not up to me to decide for anyone else! I DO however, think a very specific LABEL on everything should be a matter of course.

thinpossible
04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Windchime
The only thing missing was the defibrilator. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think food should be regulated, if people want to eat that crap at their own risk, have at it! But I do think it would be nice if corporations made an effort to be health conscious, and at least pretend like they cared about our health instead of only caring about the bottom line. If there are any genies reading this thread, I wouldn't mind having a million dollars deposited in my bank account either :lol:

Slashnl
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
The one good thing I saw (I think) is that KFC came out with grilled chicken. Now, I have not tried it or checked into it because I would just as soon grill my own chicken, but I wondered about it. I can't tell from the ads if the skin is left on, or how much "seasoning" they add.

Crazy stuff! We all have to be careful and watch out for ourselves!!

kaplods
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Food manufacturer's and restaurants are in the business of selling food, and they make what they know they can sell. They don't make "healthy" food, because it doesn't sell well. More people say they want healthy options, than will purchase the healthier options. Anyone remember the McLean Deluxe at McDonald's - one of the biggest flops in fast food history?

In our area, salad bars have become an endangered species (or are filled with mayonaise-based prepared salads, and barely edible iceberg lettuce).

I think the changes have to come from the bottom up. When consumers demand (and buy) healthy options, we'll see more offered, but as long as most of the market says they want healthy, but only buys unhealthy - unhealthy will win out.

nelie
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Whatever sells is what they will make. If people demanded more healthy foods, then that is what manufacturers would sell.

time2lose
04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Diane originally posted
The one good thing I saw (I think) is that KFC came out with grilled chicken. Now, I have not tried it or checked into it because I would just as soon grill my own chicken, but I wondered about it. I can't tell from the ads if the skin is left on, or how much "seasoning" they add.

I tried the chicken breast and liked it. There was some skin on it but not much. It looked like they had tried to remove it but missed some. It had a smoky flavor. It was much drier than the fried version but not too dry. They had posted pictures of plates to suggest a healthy meal with the grilled chicken, green beans and corn on the cob. I will get it again, especially when traveling.

irishsarah
04-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I never thought those KFC bowls looked healthy! My husband with the metabolism of light speed, eats them. :rolleyes:
I am curious about the grilled chicken. I may try that out sometime.

The bread bowls...ACK! A few months ago, I might have really wanted to try it. Now, no way!

The topic of sugar was sorta touched upon so I am going to add my 2 cents and then run for the hills...

For the LIFE of me, I can not figure out who decided making some chemical concoction to take the place of sugar was a GOOD idea. :dizzy: Nutrasweet, Saccharin, high fructose corn syrup...are you kidding me? Sugar is natural, it comes from a plant. You can get it in a very non processed version and in moderation there is not a single thing wrong with it. (The exception being of course, those with diabetes, this is not meant for them though.) The closer something is to its natural state, the better it is for our bodies, so why replace sugar with something made in a lab? Our bodies are not designed for that! My thought is that because most people have not learned the word "moderation", science thought it was doing us a favour, that is the only thing that makes sense to me.
I can not have even a DROP of Nutrasweet, not a granule, not a sip of diet pop, nada or I get a KILLER migraine. I don't have that problem with sugar. I have talked to people who have told me that they used to get headaches from artificial sweeteners but after they got used to it, they went away.

AFTER THEY GOT USED TO IT?! Are you kidding me? Is 16 calories per teaspoon worth that?
My aunt and uncle have PH.Ds in Chemistry and if I wasn't convinced before not to use that stuff, I was after talking to them.

To be fair, I am neutral on Splenda. I don't know enough about it to come out for or against it. I do know that I have consumed Splenda without a problem, but I don't go out of my way to use it either.

I know this isn't a very popular opinion but it has always bothered me. I am gonna go hide for awhile now. :^:

JayEll
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Saccharine was originally developed as a sugar substitute for diabetics. I can see that use of it.

Refined sugar is just not a good thing to eat in excess. Check out the book SUGAR BLUES--it's a classic on this topic.

Natural sugars, such as those found in whole fruits and whole grains, are not as bad as refined sugar because the absorption is slowed down.

Most Americans eat way more sugar than is a good idea. It gets hidden in foods all the time.

So, basically I agree with irishsarah about this! But I can still see how sugar substitutes that are non-caloric might be useful to some people.

Thanks for listening!

Jay

WarMaiden
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Refined sugar is "natural" in the same sense that refined cocaine is "natural." Yes, they both come from plants, but they are also both refined via chemical processes to be something that nature never intended. HFCS is refined via chemical too, as are "artificial" sweeteners. (Sucralose/Splenda is refined via chemical process from refined sugar, for example.)

What I'm saying is that this argument is rather pointless. Refined sugar cannot be argued to be good for the body, and for soft drink companies to attempt to claim so is disingenuous.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I am addicted to Splenda....or, maybe, I'm just addicted to the taste of 'sweet?' Back in 2006, I was up to 2-3 tablespoons of sugar in my coffee and I drank 4-6 cups a day. In addition, I also drank 1-2 Pepsi's a day. It was not unusual for me to buy a bag of Hershey's kisses, hide them in my desk drawer, and consume the whole bag by myself within 2 days. I tried Stevia,but it left an aftertaste. I tried having agave nectar in the house. The problem there is that I can't taste it in my coffee....and, it tastes just like honey on peanut butter sandwiches.:dizzy: But, I digress. I now use Splenda and I use quite a bit of it. I've thought many times of quitting the use of all artificial sweeteners, but I'm nervous about doing so. Yes, I believe with 100% certainty that it would be healthier to do so, but I will miss my "sweets." I'm just full of excuses, huh?

TJFitnessDiva
04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
I saw that....ugh!

The thing that gets me is the new Taco Bell commercial with their new taco "salad" bowl...."it's got lettuce so it must be a salad" ack!!

irishsarah
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
For the record, I am not trying to say that sugar is GOOD for you. Just that IMO, it is a better alternative then the artificial sweeteners out there.

I think it all comes back to the keyword, "moderation". Pretty much anything in abundance is not good for you.

I agree with RomanceDiva about the Taco Bell commercial!
Okay, "taco" and "salad" aer two words that DO NOT go together.

Trazey34
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd rather have a teeeeeny smidgen of real sugar than a bucket of fake sweetener, it just tastes gross LOL

mmmm taco saladmmm I make a "fake" one, with the ground beef mixed with ground turkey, some seasoning, tons of salad and light ranch dressing it's super yummy :D

annie175
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Gez, it all makes me want to barf....BLECKIE!!

nelie
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I tend to not use sweeteners myself and try to avoid stuff that has sweeteners added to it. It is difficult but not impossible.

Fruit is awesome, I love fruit and eat it. I think it is totally natural but is only a portion of a healthy diet.

bitetoobreakkskin
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
ewww the "taco salad" sounds soooooooooooooooo gross...i guess because i hate taco bell in general..and so does that dominoes thing..blech gag me with a spoon (someone i know used to say that alot lol)...

now i agree about the regular sugar being much better for our bodies in general than the artificial..but like she said-moderation :)

WarMaiden
04-29-2009, 04:14 PM
now i agree about the regular sugar being much better for our bodies in general than the artificial

A toxic chemical is a toxic chemical. And sugar is a toxic chemical.

I'm not saying anyone who uses sugar (or Splenda, or cocaine, or commercial household cleansers) is a bad person; I'm just trying to point out that these are ALL chemicals, and to rationalize one as being "better" than others is, from a scientific standpoint, illogical.

IMO, that rationalization is one prop for our collective, ongoing use of sugar: "It's not that bad, because it's natural" is an attempt to validate our active addiction to it.

However, earthquakes, swine flu, species extinction, and cancer are all "natural" too. That doesn't mean they are desirable to us, individually or socially. We let sugar off the hook, though, because we enjoy it.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-29-2009, 11:21 PM
How is sugar a toxic chemical?

Windchime
04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
sure it has buttery instaflake-style mashed potatoes, sweet kernel corn, KFC's signature artery-clogging gravy, KFC's equally fat-tastic popcorn chicken, but you forgot that it's all topped off with three kinds of melted cheese!!

I had the feeling as I was writing about it that I was forgetting something--how could I forget the cheese!?? Gahhh, that just sounds so horrible!

freshmanweightorbust
04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I have to get a little nervous when people say things along the line of "there ought to be a law" and "food like that shouldn't be legal" not that anyone specifically said those words on this thread, but the premise is implied. It is up to each and every one of us to be responsible for what we put in our mouths and down on the table in front of our families. It is our responsibility to learn the facts and share them with others when it's appropriate. I don't want to live in a country where the government tells restaurants what they can offer me, and by the same token, tells me what I can and cannot eat.

But I do think that terduckens should be at least a social taboo. Is there an emoticon for vomit? Somebody told me once that there's a version of terducken where the entire atrocity is shoved inside a whole pig and the entire monstrous horror is roasted whole.

freshmanweightorbust
04-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Hehe, my mom gets those potato bowls from KFC without cheese, cause it makes her feel better about it. Back in the dark days I used to eat those, but hey, we could fill a whole book with the disgusting things I used to eat before I started the health journey this year.

I doubt very much that I'm the only one on this site who used to eat shoestring potato chips with a fork from a bowl with ketchup on top.

Star2Be
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Uhh, I'm late coming to this thread, since it appears to have veered off slightly towards another topic, heh, BUT--

I just want to say that O. M. F. G. I saw an ad for these things and I instantly thought, What the CRAP--carbs stuffed with more carbs?!?! That must have like 1500 calories and 100 grams of fat!! ...And yet I swear my mouth instantly started salivating. I literally haven't had pasta in months, and I'm a freakin' vegan, but D*MN, even I want one of those things!! LOL, do I ever! :lol:

WarMaiden
04-30-2009, 12:59 AM
How is sugar a toxic chemical?

Using standard dictionary definitions--

Chemical: "A substance produced by or used in a chemical process."

Toxic: "Poisonous," with poisonous meaning "harmful, destructive."

Sugar is a poisonous substance produced via chemical process, i.e., a toxic chemical.

Again, that doesn't mean that a person is morally bad or otherwise wrong for choosing to use it; I'm trying to bring to light the rationalizations that we make about sugar.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I don't even like sugar, I'm more of a salty snacks person, but am I stupid for thinking sugar grows in the ground?

timkerbelle
04-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Speaking of jawdropping foods, I got a bit of a shock when I came here to Scotland. I had of course heard of the Fish and Chips thing, but I discovered that one of the "meals" you can get actually comes with - brace yourself - Deep Fried Mars Bar!
Yup. Take the most calorific chocolate bar you can find, and smother it in batter and stick it in the deep fat frier. Made me giggle when I heard. Not only does it sound horribly unhealthy, but totally unbelievably gross lol :p

TJFitnessDiva
04-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Speaking of jawdropping foods, I got a bit of a shock when I came here to Scotland. I had of course heard of the Fish and Chips thing, but I discovered that one of the "meals" you can get actually comes with - brace yourself - Deep Fried Mars Bar!
Yup. Take the most calorific chocolate bar you can find, and smother it in batter and stick it in the deep fat frier. Made me giggle when I heard. Not only does it sound horribly unhealthy, but totally unbelievably gross lol :p

lol you should see what they fry at the state fairs in the Southern US...snicker bars, twinkies, if they can put batter on it they will fry it! :o

freshmanweightorbust
04-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Don't forget the deep-fried oreo cookies! In my darkest days of indiscriminate eating, even I was revolted by the idea. I tried one, one time, just to see how it was, and I found myself kind of torn on the subject. I decided not to like it after all.

I haven't been to a county or state fair in a few years, but the next time I go, I'm getting a big Lemon Shake-up, cold, refreshing, and gritty in the bottom with undissolved sugar!

Shannon in ATL
04-30-2009, 10:27 AM
They deep fried Coke syrup saturated sweetbread balls at the Renaissance Festival here last year...

Slashnl
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
They deep fried Coke syrup saturated sweetbread balls at the Renaissance Festival here last year...

Ok, now that's just crazy. Who thinks of this stuff? Ha!

thinpossible
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't even like sugar, I'm more of a salty snacks person, but am I stupid for thinking sugar grows in the ground?

It does grow in the ground. I think the point war maiden is trying to make is that the processed crystallized sugar that is on your kitchen table looks and tastes nothing like the fibrous and not very sweet sugar cane plant. So the sugar we know, even "raw" sugar is highly processed, to the point that it's really not the same thing at all.

Schmoodle
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Those bread bowls definitely do not appeal to me, I've never been attracted to a starch wrapped in another starch - it's like when they put rice in a burrito, I hate that. On the other hand, don't people often serve garlic bread with pasta? I guess this is the same idea, just A LOT of bread.

They deep fried Coke syrup saturated sweetbread balls at the Renaissance Festival here last year... Umm, sweatbreads are brains right? deep fried coke and brains? Now I've heard it all...

As to whether sugar is natural or not, here's the wiki definition:
"Natural foods are foods that are minimally processed. Natural foods do not include ingredients such as refined sugars, refined flours, milled grains, hydrogenated oils, sweeteners, food colors, or flavorings."
And the USDA defines natural foods as foods without artificial ingredients. Of course natural being the opposite of artificial, it's like saying "hot is the thing which is not cold", kind of lacking as definitions go.

I'm always interested to see where folks draw their line for what they consider natural. I have struggled with this issue myself. In reality, everything on this earth came from nature originally, unless it landed on a meteor, it's just a matter of how much it's been processed/altered from its original state. With respect to food, most people would consider fruits and vegetables natural. What if they were grown using fertilizers/pesticides? They are certainly not organic, but are they then not natural? Sugar cane grows in the ground. So does corn. They are then processed to a certain extent to result in cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup or sucralose. Which is natural? If I find a patch of wild berries, I can feel pretty sure that they are natural. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. We find what works for us and make our own choices. Nobody's choices are wrong.

barefootnikki
04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I've heard of the Coke soaked fried breads... i don't think it's sweetbreads in the classic term (brains) but more like small bundles of funnel cake type dough?

The bowls look awesome to me, i have to say. None for me though :)

AND --- has anyone had sugar cane? It's not very sweet but it's a fun treat to gnaw on.

Newlywed
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah DH and I were watching TV last night and we saw that commercial, before it was even over he was like that looks good. I didn't even skip a beat when I informed that, that was why he is a fat kid. Tough love I know, but seriously its true, we are on WW for a reason, and it irritates me cause he still wants crud like that.

WhitePicketFences
04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Fast food almost never appeals to me (luckily for me, I suppose; I have enough vices elsewhere).

Which brings me to .... I have always wanted to try a 'real sugar cane' coca cola! I am not a coke fanatic like I used to be. I just have a diet coke about once a week now, but I always intend to seek out a kosher coke or something and don't happen upon them.

Whenever I do have a chance, though, I will totally allot the calories for that and not feel bad about it. I covet!

WarMaiden
04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
thinpossible and Robin have re-stated my point in clear ways. Yes, the soda companies want us to think that sugar is "natural" and therefore it's somehow a good dietary choice...but Coca Cola used to have cocaine in it too, which is just as "natural" as refined sugar, yet we wouldn't see that as a healthy choice. I find their marketing spin on refined sugar abhorrent, and I think it's dangerous to our health on a societal level.

freshmanweightorbust
04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Domino's is damaging us on a societal level :)

Newlywed
04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
thinpossible and Robin have re-stated my point in clear ways. Yes, the soda companies want us to think that sugar is "natural" and therefore it's somehow a good dietary choice...but Coca Cola used to have cocaine in it too, which is just as "natural" as refined sugar, yet we wouldn't see that as a healthy choice. I find their marketing spin on refined sugar abhorrent, and I think it's dangerous to our health on a societal level.

Umm, how can you even compare natural sugar to cocaine? Seriously? Their whole thing is that aspartame is bad for you and so is HFCS, so they made a drink with real sugar for those people who wont consume the other two but have no prob having real sugar. I completely agree that the dominoes pasta bowl is so not healthy, as I stated in my previous post. But is it really that big of a deal, calm down its not like someone has tied you down and is forcing the thing down your throat.

kiramira
04-30-2009, 10:42 PM
First of all, carbs! Pasta! Turduken! My DH came up with "terduckenefork" -- turkey in a duck in a chichen in a cow in pork...he was joking, of course...
Anyways!
I'm so confused!!! Since when did everything "natural" become best for our bodies? Re: the sugar debate -- unripe green potatoes are NATURAL and poisonous. Vitamin D supplements are CHEMICALS and beneficial. Sugar is REFINED but not poisonous. Saccharin is a CHEMICAL and poisonous in large amounts.
I think there is a huge myth out there that any refined sugar at all is somehow BAD BAD BAD in and of itself. I don't know why this is. IF overeaten, or added to foods, it may create the desire to eat more and create obesity, but in and of itself, it is NOT poisonous.
Here is a list of just SOME NATURALLY and POISONOUS foods:

The stones and pips of apricots, plums, cherries, peaches, apples and pears all contain glycosides which if eaten release potentially lethal doses of cyanide.

The leaves of rhubarb contain large quantities of oxalic acid, which interferes with calcium absorption.

Many plants of the cabbage family have a tendency to prevent iodine from being used to replenish the body's thyroid hormones. In some parts of the world where iodine levels are low (a long way from the sea) this is a problem.

Green potatoes are lethal, thanks to the poison solanine which potatoes share with other members of their botanical family, deadly nightshade and henbane.

The tomato, every part of which is highly poisonous, except the fruit.

Honey from rhododendrons is highly toxic.

Fugu, the blow fish (puffer fish) the liver of which contains a poison so deadly it has been said that 'the element of risk in eating fugu may be one of the reasons why the dish is so popular with Japanese gourmets'.

Then there is cyanide in cassava and almonds (there are official limits for cyanide concentration in marzipan!).

The amines in cheese, chocolate, sauerkraut, and wine, tyramine, histamine serotonin, can cause unpleasant reactions in many people.

Given the cyanide content in almonds, and hoping I can avoid honey made from rhododendrons (a NATURAL sweetner, to boot!), I'll take a tsp or 2 of white or brown sugar any day...

Kira

Star2Be
05-01-2009, 12:12 AM
lol you should see what they fry at the state fairs in the Southern US...snicker bars, twinkies, if they can put batter on it they will fry it! :o
LOL, my personal favorite is fried ice cream at the local "Apple Festival" every fall... You wouldn't think that it would be possible to deep fry the ice cream without it melting, but I tell ya, they work miracles with that stuff! :lol:

Not gonna lie, though; I've eaten it, and although I literally felt like I could taste all of the fat and yuckiness sliding down my throat and clogging my arteries (or depositing itself on my arms/thighs/waist :o), it WAS pretty darn delicious! I just don't think I'd recommend it as a food that's fit for everyday consumption. ;) I guess ya hafta admit, going to carnivals/fairs totally changes a person's attitudes towards food--something that would normally seem absolutely disgusting is suddenly a perfectly normal thing to eat! :p So despite the fact that right now I might think that a fried Twinkie sounds like the last thing in the world I would ever want to eat, I bet if I were in that atmosphere I'd be the first one in line to try it! :devil: Though I think I could only finish a little less than half of my fried ice cream before I thought, Hooookay, I think that's enough for now! Hehe! :dizzy:

freshmanweightorbust
05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
How DO they deep-fry ice cream? I always thought they just coated it with crushed cereal or graham cracker crumbs so it looked fried; I didn't realize it actually was fried somehow... I'm repulsed and intrigued at the same time... :)

kiramira
05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
REALLY frozen ice cream block, dipped in donut-type batter, rolled in crushed cereal, thrown in a hot oil bath to crisp up the outside while keeping the inside frozen and cold. It doesn't take long in the hot oil because you are only trying to cook the outside (vice, say, french fries, that you want cooked through and through).
They do the same to Mars bars in Scotland (except they are only battered and deep-fried, not rolled in crushed cereal...)...
Kira

freshmanweightorbust
05-01-2009, 11:33 AM
After reading all those posts about fried ice cream, fried candy bars, etc, I found myself compelled to add an extra twenty minutes to my walk this morning.

OH, and getting back to the original topic of this thread, last night I saw the commercial for the pasta bread bowls for the first time. OMFG those things don't even look good! It looks like an entire loaf of bread vomited down it's own shirtfront. EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!

WarMaiden
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Umm, how can you even compare natural sugar to cocaine? Seriously?

Qualities that sugar and cocaine share:

-- They are refined from plants, via chemical process.

-- They are physiologically addictive, as shown by scientific experiment.

-- They are psychologically addictive.

-- Many people have ruined their lives and bodies on these substances.

-- They are highly profitable.

Some other substances that share these qualities are heroin and alcohol.

Other than the fact that sugar is legal (and supported by government funding) and cocaine is not, there are no actual differences.

But is it really that big of a deal, calm down its not like someone has tied you down and is forcing the thing down your throat.

I don't use sugar, so yes, obviously no one is forcing it down my throat. But that is not the point. The point, as I have stated previously, is that we let sugar off the hook rather than recognizing it as a potentially dangerous drug because we like it. We allow our government to subsidize massive production and consumption of sugar (and HFCS), at huge profit to private industry, at the cost of American health, because we like it.

nelie
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
So I went to go see what the Domino's pasta bowls look like based on the commercial. There were 2 pictures, one of a puff pastry (which looked good) and one on their website (which doesn't look so good). The one on their website looks like a deep dish pizza filled with pasta. I never liked Domino's though so even the puff pastry probably isn't something I would've ever tried.

nelie
05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't use sugar, so yes, obviously no one is forcing it down my throat. But that is not the point. The point, as I have stated previously, is that we let sugar off the hook rather than recognizing it as a potentially dangerous drug because we like it. We allow our government to subsidize massive production and consumption of sugar (and HFCS), at huge profit to private industry, at the cost of American health, because we like it.

The same could be said about many other industries as well. Look at the dairy industry...

I don't use sugar either but I do eat natural sugars like fruits, beets, carrots, etc.

freshmanweightorbust
05-01-2009, 05:59 PM
WarMaiden, do you have this aversion to all sugar, or just processed sugars?

kiramira
05-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Sugar is not a drug! It is SO NOT evil! It is an easy target for alot of people who find that their eating issues are triggered by sweets. I've NEVER heard of anyone being arrested for driving while under the influence of jujubes! I HAVE heard of the Twinkie defense, which involved the presentation of the consumption of junk food as a SYMPTOM of underlying psychiatric issues (NOT the cause)...If you ARE triggered by sweets, then of COURSE you'll see sugar as the devil, but it is hardly a drug being pushed by corporate America with the complicity of the government to enslave the people!
Honestly...
JMHO...
Kira

freshmanweightorbust
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm with you, Kiramira, and the way you put it cracks me up! Grats on your progress (on your ticker), BTW.

kiramira
05-01-2009, 06:18 PM
:D
Thanks for the props!!!
Kira

WarMaiden
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Y'all might actually want to do some background reading into these issues, in the scientific literature and responsible journalism. Specifically, try reading Michael Pollan and/or Eric Schlosser for insight into government subsides and corporate profits, and how those affect food supply and thusly American obesity.

Of course, you're also welcome to retain your opinions without reliance on research, and react to other views as if the poster is insane. Your free choice.

kiramira
05-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Of COURSE corporations who make and sell food do so for profit. Of COURSE these groups maximize their appeal with respect to food components. Of COURSE alot of food sold today isn't food.
But sugar is not a drug, nor is it the devil! Any more than Kraft Dinner is. Or pizza. (MMMmm, PIZZA...) We all have free choice in the matter! If you eat too much of anything and develop a weight issue, it isn't the fault of sugar, corporate America, nor the government. It IS the fault of my right hand that holds the fork...
JMHO
Kira

diary
05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Bleck, the breadbowls look so nasty!

HVEECK
05-02-2009, 02:45 AM
LOL, this thread is so funny! sugar is evil!! Right now it is in the form of a big hershey bar. It is tempting me with its evil sweetness, but I will prevail!!! ;) I will not fall into its trap!

Newlywed
05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Qualities that sugar and cocaine share:

-- They are refined from plants, via chemical process.

-- They are physiologically addictive, as shown by scientific experiment.

-- They are psychologically addictive.

-- Many people have ruined their lives and bodies on these substances.

-- They are highly profitable.

Some other substances that share these qualities are heroin and alcohol.

Other than the fact that sugar is legal (and supported by government funding) and cocaine is not, there are no actual differences.
[/B].
Being addicted to sugar is WAY different then being addicted to a drug. Sugar just makes you fat and hyper, it does not mess with your brain and any other part of your body, other then your waist line. You don't have to go to rehab nor do you lose all of your family and friends from being addicted to sugar. Nor is there a possibility of having your kids taken away from you, or you getting fired, or losing everything from being addicted to sugar. You obviously have some MAJOR aversion to sugar, but you don't need to go and tell everyone that it is just like cocaine.

Shoot I realize that sugar isn't good for me, so I don't eat it as often as I used to. If someone gave me the choice between sugar and cocaine, I would choose sugar, cause I would much rather be addicted to that and stay fat then deal with what cocaine does to you. You must only eat fresh veggies if you think that it is bad to mass produce things. EVERYTHING is mass produced even eggs, which if eaten in a mass quantity is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH. EVERYTHING is bad for you if you go hog wild and eat it in crazy quantities.The gvm't isn't making anyone eat the sugar. YOU (as in the people of the world) choose to eat it. Just like when you go to McDonalds, you don't have to eat a burger, you choose to eat the fatty burger.

Newlywed
05-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Sugar is not a drug! It is SO NOT evil! It is an easy target for alot of people who find that their eating issues are triggered by sweets. I've NEVER heard of anyone being arrested for driving while under the influence of jujubes! I HAVE heard of the Twinkie defense, which involved the presentation of the consumption of junk food as a SYMPTOM of underlying psychiatric issues (NOT the cause)...If you ARE triggered by sweets, then of COURSE you'll see sugar as the devil, but it is hardly a drug being pushed by corporate America with the complicity of the government to enslave the people!
Honestly...
JMHO...
Kira

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newlywed
05-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Of course, you're also welcome to retain your opinions without reliance on research, and react to other views as if the poster is insane. Your free choice.

I choose that one

willow650
05-02-2009, 03:15 PM
:rofl:

I saw those breadbowl ads too. I thought it looked really yummy. Of course! That's what an ad is supposed to show. Would I eat one? No way.

We have a choice about what we eat. If I'm going to eat 1000 calories in one meal, it is going to be a d***ed good meal! Not crap from a pizza place.

Jay

I wad beginning to think I was the only one that thought it look yummy. I doubt if i would ever eat one, but I have learned to never say never

willow650
05-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Se,, this is another thing i wish would gross me out, but it don't i really want to try 1 just once!

Jacquie668
05-02-2009, 03:56 PM
First, bread bowl pasta...well that is just gross to me. lol I have heard of bread bowl salads though. Meh.

Second, I don't think sugar is evil. One could say that all the processed foods are "evil," but that is such a generic thing to say about the evils of the processed food kingdom, which contains loads sugar and other junk.

Being addicted to sugar is WAY different then being addicted to a drug. Sugar just makes you fat and hyper, it does not mess with your brain and any other part of your body, other then your waist line. You don't have to go to rehab nor do you lose all of your family and friends from being addicted to sugar. Nor is there a possibility of having your kids taken away from you, or you getting fired, or losing everything from being addicted to sugar. You obviously have some MAJOR aversion to sugar, but you don't need to go and tell everyone that it is just like cocaine.

While I wouldn't compare sugar addiction to a drug addiction, I will say that sugar is addicting to a certain percentage of people. Sugar does effect the brain. If effects certain levels of brain activity, but i don't think there have been any hardcore studies that have shown to what degree the effect is. There are a lot of opinions, theories, and debate. One group says one thing, another group says another. Etc. There are groups out there who are wanting to get refined/processed sugar classified as a drug.

Sugar also effects the blood, it goes right into the bloodstream and that does a number on your body. Gives you a short burst of energy and then your sugar levels plummet. That seems to be where the debate is. What really happens when this process occurs? There is a lot of grey area there...

Sugar addiction is very real though. Studies have proven that there are withdrawal symptoms much like one would find with other drugs (that is why there are groups trying to get sugar classified differently). Cravings, mood swings, physical symptoms (shaking, dizziness) etc. One has to wonder though how much sugar is an addicted person actually consuming to have it produce extreme side effects though.

Finally, is it really sugar that is the issue or the processed foods. Sugar in the natural state is very different than the sugar found in what like 90% of the food out there at the supermarket.

So, I don't think sugar is evil. I do think it is a problem and I think that with the combination of all the other things that are a problem make it an interesting discussion though. I don't think it is a drug, but it can be an addiction, but so is smoking. You can't loose your kids over smoking I don't think, at least i don't hear about smokers going into rehab to the degree that people with other drug addictions do. However, smoking is an addiction with side effects and withdrawal, much like other addictions.

:carrot:

SuchAPrettyFace
05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Of COURSE corporations who make and sell food do so for profit. Of COURSE these groups maximize their appeal with respect to food components. Of COURSE alot of food sold today isn't food.
But sugar is not a drug, nor is it the devil! Any more than Kraft Dinner is. Or pizza. (MMMmm, PIZZA...) We all have free choice in the matter! If you eat too much of anything and develop a weight issue, it isn't the fault of sugar, corporate America, nor the government. It IS the fault of my right hand that holds the fork...
JMHO
Kira*slow golf clap*

I did finally see the original commercial mentioned & I'm not sure what the appeal is, and I'm Italian. I've polished off more bread & pasta than I care to admit, but that also means I'm quite picky about it. I don't think they would cook it long enough for me, nor would they omit the salt in cooking. And is it whole wheat pasta? The sauce would be salted & the bread, well. Not whole grain, is it? So no, it did look interesting, but I'd have to pass. The way the last commercial was, it was like it took the place of a pizza. I wonder how big it actually is? I'm thinking it's not as big as it looked on TV. No big, but what a disappointment for a family of 4 to order it & it might not feed all of them.

Rosinante
05-04-2009, 04:08 AM
Umm, sweatbreads are brains right? deep fried coke and brains? Now I've heard it all...

I Think sweetbreads are pancreas ..... even worse!

I Do think food should be government regulated, I think it is irresponsible of a government to think it ok to leave it up to people to take responsibility for understanding the crp they put on their plate.

No food police - if someone chooses to buy meat and cheese and fat and deep-fry them together and sprinkle them with sugar, I guess that Is their choice; but I Do think prepared foods should be regulated and that food outlets, from the lowest to the highest should be compelled to show the calories/fat/salt/sugar/fibre content of all their dishes.

And Much better education on healthy eating, from cradle to the grave.

Oh, and despite being a Scot, I've never tried a deep-fried Mars Bar.

Oh, and, if it weren't for the fact that I've become obsessed with not clogging up my arteries, I would love a meat-loaf starting with a hard-boiled egg in the middle, wrapped in sausagemeat, lovingly enveloped in fatty bacon, baked well and served with melted cheese to cover it. Sigh. It's a wonder I've lived so long.

synger
05-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Actually, with some minor modifications, that sounds like a really good chicken Shepherd's pie. non-fried chicken, non-starchy veggies, a bit of gravy, covered with mashed whole potatoes. Now, I wouldn't get KFC's version because their potatoes and gravy would be much too salty, and I'd want carrots and green beans instead of corn, and grilled or sauteed chicken rather than fried, and whole mashed potatoes with skin rather than peeled potatoes. But by and large, the meal idea itself isn't too bad. Just the execution of it.

freshmanweightorbust
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
According to a website review I just found (I'll include the link below), one bread bowl is intended to serve two people, at considerably fewer calories than I would EVER have expected. Like the reviewer in this article, I was expecting over 1,000 calories in the whole thing, or that it would be way tinier than it looks on TV. According to this link, the whole thing is about 700 calories, which is acceptable IF you split it with somebody, HOWEVER, a person who commented on the story said that they had it on good authority (I'm paraphrasing here) that it's actually 700 calories per serving, which is awful. IDK, I'm not touching the nasty looking things. Domino's hot sandwiches are revolting enough (all grease and no flavor - you would think a sandwich covered in pepperoni and onion and banana peppers would have some taste to it) that I don't even want to know how bad they mess up pasta.

Link: http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/05/01/dominos-bread-bowl-pasta-diet-enemy-but-recession-friendly/

Lizzyg
05-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I wad beginning to think I was the only one that thought it look yummy. I doubt if i would ever eat one, but I have learned to never say never

lol I too thought I was the only one who thought it looked yummy. I dont think I'd eat it, but ya never know.

Newlywed
05-05-2009, 12:44 AM
No food police - if someone chooses to buy meat and cheese and fat and deep-fry them together and sprinkle them with sugar, I guess that Is their choice; but I Do think prepared foods should be regulated and that food outlets, from the lowest to the highest should be compelled to show the calories/fat/salt/sugar/fibre content of all their dishes.

And Much better education on healthy eating, from cradle to the grave.

It is a law now, (at least in WA) that the nutritional values have to be readily available. So anyone who wants to know the values can see it.

This on is up to the parents, schools are offering healthy foods now and are cutting out the crud. And teach kids the importance of eating healthy