Weight Loss Support - becoming a runner?

View Full Version : becoming a runner?

bookworm
04-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Is there anyone here who likes to run? Or hates it but does it anyway? :)

I've done A LOT of walking -- last fall I even walked a half-marathon -- but I'd like to start transitioning into some running. I've tried to do this in the past, and enjoyed it immensely but always ended up getting hurt -- shinsplints, mostly. I assume I'm trying to do too much too soon, but I'm not sure how to do better.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have about this...

kiramira
04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Run, or walk, to your local library and look for anything by John Bingham, aka "the Penguin". He has written a number of start to run books that have graduated walk/run programs that will take you from zero to 5 km without injury.
Happy reading!
Kira

cestlavie22
04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
go to a running store and invest in good shoes. a good running store will make you try pairs and then have you jog up and down the hall to try them out.

it is a good idea to look at a start to run book. there is also one on line at runner's world. Then start out slow. run 30-60 secs, walk 1-2 minutes for 20 minutes and then increase week by week. don't forget to stretch after! That is what i have been doing. i am running a 10k on the weekend and maybe a 10 miler in july.

i still don't enjoy it while i am running but like the feeling of accomplishment afterward.
good luck!

sprklemajik
04-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I just recently started the couch to 5k by coolrunnings.com

I tried running last fall but was too heavy and it hurt like you're talking about. At the weight I'm currently at I've got a pretty slow pace, but I'm not experiencing the joint pain. So possibly if you're interested I'd just retry every 15 or so lbs until it wasn't hurting.

you can pm if you need any more information.

mamaspank
04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Check out Runner's World magazine. I read that thing cover to cover! Running was something I had to learn to love. I really came to love it once I was able to run for about 30 minutes. Before that, it always felt like a chore. Something just clicked one day, and I was thinking, why am I not running for a full 30 minutes or an hour. It doesn't have to be a full-on sprint. I love to do a light little jog for about an hour about four to five days a week.

Ellie R
04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I started back excercising around 3 months ago, and have been combining walking and running.
It seems that the best way to get in to it is to vary intensity, so walk for 10 mins to warm up, and stretch a little, then jog for a minute, walk for 3or 4 minutes, jog for a minute etc etc for as long as you plan to do that day, finish up with at least a 5 min walk to cool down.
You can then gradually increase the amount of time spent jogging.
I am actually quite enjoying it now, the only thing I would say is, don't be disheartened by the amount of time it takes to be able to run for a substantial length of time, just keep at it until you find that you can run for over a minute easily enough, and then start building from there - that might take as longas 4 weeks if say, you are working out 3 times a week for around 30/40 mins.
Also definitely as said above - good shoes, cushioning is the most important thing at this stage to lessen the impact on your joints.

Just keep it very gentle at the start, as you build it up, you find that when you get over the hump of 3 minutes, you will find that you can keep going for 10 at a time - posture is very important, focus on your core, and keeping your shoulders straight!!

Friday
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I started walking on the treadmill in March.. Now im jogging/running.
I do a mile in about 15 min.. im no pro. but i really enjoying it..
Proper shoes are important!! very important! since i been walking/jogging/ or running, my weight loss has been moving quicker.. LOL
Good Luck, i really love doing it..

tarryn
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I absolutely HATED running at the start, but now it is my best friend, there is nothing in the world that makes me feel as good as i do after ive finished a good run!

Ive go myself up to about 8 km at the moment and am pushing for 10 which i hope to do by July. It hurts while your doing it, but it is so worth it!!

Im not sure what else to tell you except, stick it out, push throuhg those first few months and it WILL get better!

ICUwishing
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Look up Galloway's program. It's a gentle run/walk combo that took this couch potato to 6, yeah, SIX 10 mile Crim races.

aneleh
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
I didn't used to like running, but like other's suggested, start out slow and find a running program you can follow. As well as having a good pair of shoes, read up on the proper technique!!
http://www.thesolemate.com/articles/Running%20technique%20starting%20bock.pdf

This can help prevent shin-splints as well as knee problems, and is a heck of a lot easier to learn now, as a beginner.

Thighs Be Gone
04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
I began by walking too. About -20 down, (Sept '08) I started running as far as I could, catching my breath and running again. I hated it at first. I now LOVE it. It is such a freedom to run. I can't explain it. I began with running about 1/10 a mile in the beginning--that's as far as I could go. I now run 5 miles plus without a problem. I highly suggest it. Be sure to stretch well before hand and have some comfortable shoes and a good sports bra. Everything else is just gravy.

By the way, without knowing it--by stopping and starting again I was in essence, running HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training. It is the most effective way to burn fat I found out later.

Ookpik
04-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm one of the many who's tried Couch to 5K...I definitely recommend it to anyone. I started it last year, finished, and am now finally getting back into running again after a very long winter. I enjoy running. Before losing weight, even walking a few feet would get me out of breath, so running feels like a real accomplishment.

Mrs Snark
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
There are good running threads in the Exercise Forum here, check them out. This board has a lot of runners -- both experienced and newbies!

amy180
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I began by walking too. About -20 down, (Sept '08) I started running as far as I could, catching my breath and running again. I hated it at first. I now LOVE it. It is such a freedom to run. I can't explain it. I began with running about 1/10 a mile in the beginning--that's as far as I could go. I now run 5 miles plus without a problem. I highly suggest it. Be sure to stretch well before hand and have some comfortable shoes and a good sports bra. Everything else is just gravy.

By the way, without knowing it--by stopping and starting again I was in essence, running HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training. It is the most effective way to burn fat I found out later.
Last time I lost weight I did it the same way, I would go around the block where the university football stadium is in the evening (because I was self conscious and less people were around then) and I would run the length of the field, then walk and catch my breath, and before I knew it, I was able to run a lot more without stopping. I was on the cross country team in high school, and running is a great feeling, yes,I need to get back into it too. I usually walked at least a mile before even starting to run, and this was a few years ago and I was in great shape and lost 60 pounds despite the fact that I ate like a horse still.

And stretching, yeah, don't forget that. Ending up with shin splints sucks. Also once I ended up with tendinitis in both ankles because I overdid it and didn't stretch at all, and that was terrible. Good shoes, stretching, bottled water are all important things that I don't forget anymore.

Fat Pants
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
1) Invest in good running shoes - it's worth it! It will save you a lot of pain and frustration if you get fitted for a good shoe from the get-go. Try to avoid the big box stores like Big 5 or Sports Authority...go to real running store, where they will video tape you running on a treadmill and then find the right shoe for you! It's so worth it!

2) If you are big-chested like me, invest in a good sports bra. Enell makes great bras for larger chested ladies like myself.... I would not be able to run otherwise!

3) Start slow, slow, slow! It prevents injury and over training. Write down your results... when you feel like you're not making any progress, you can go back and look at where you were a few weeks ago and see the difference! I definitely recommend a plan like Couch to 5k. Runnersworld.com also has a great beginner running program.

I hated running in the beginning, but for some reason, I stuck with it. That was about 8 weeks ago and I've lost 15 lbs and several inches since. I LOVE it! I love the way it makes me feel, I love the feeling of accomplishment! I never thought I'd say that about running.... but I'm addicted to it now! When I started, I could barely run for a minute straight. Now I am up to 15 minutes and going farther and longer each week. And it works out so much more than your legs... When I run a 5k, my abs, glutes, etc. are always sore the next day.

dutchgirl
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
1) Invest in good running shoes - it's worth it! It will save you a lot of pain and frustration if you get fitted for a good shoe from the get-go. Try to avoid the big box stores like Big 5 or Sports Authority...go to real running store, where they will video tape you running on a treadmill and then find the right shoe for you! It's so worth it!

2) If you are big-chested like me, invest in a good sports bra. Enell makes great bras for larger chested ladies like myself.... I would not be able to run otherwise!

3) Start slow, slow, slow! It prevents injury and over training. Write down your results... when you feel like you're not making any progress, you can go back and look at where you were a few weeks ago and see the difference! I definitely recommend a plan like Couch to 5k. Runnersworld.com also has a great beginner running program.

Completely agree on all of the above!
I started a Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago and I am loving it.
I use the DJ Beatsmith (just google it, you'll find them) music downloads as my guide and they really keep me going.
Do make sure you stay well hydrated, I drink a fair bit before and after my run and if I don't it will give me a headache
Most importantly, have fun with it!:carrot:

MotoMichelle
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I really enjoy running now.

The main things when starting out:

1. Get fitted for proper running shoes
2. Slow down! Seriously most new runners get turned off because they are trying to go too fast.

Have fun!

mayness
04-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Shoes. Shoes, shoes, shoes.

I know it's already been mentioned like 10 times, but getting fitted by someone who really knows running, preferably at a running store, makes ALL the difference.

Only use the shoes for running. I wore out a nice pair of running shoes by using them for tennis one summer, and the next time I decided to take up running, my shins hated me for it. On the same note, you'll need new shoes every so often.. about every 300 miles.

Run on the softest surface you can. Dirt/gravel trails and tracks are both nice. Asphalt is better than concrete (even if you feel weird for running in the road when there's a sidewalk right next to you -- I know I still do!) as long as the road isn't curved at the edges so that your legs are at different heights.

willow68
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I am starting the Runner's World program tomorrow. I am excited to try it out. Hopefully in 8 weeks I can call myself a runner.

amy180
04-29-2009, 05:47 PM
I hated running in the beginning, but for some reason, I stuck with it. That was about 8 weeks ago and I've lost 15 lbs and several inches since. I LOVE it! I love the way it makes me feel, I love the feeling of accomplishment! I never thought I'd say that about running.... but I'm addicted to it now! When I started, I could barely run for a minute straight. Now I am up to 15 minutes and going farther and longer each week. And it works out so much more than your legs... When I run a 5k, my abs, glutes, etc. are always sore the next day.

Agreed, it is addictive! And it makes me feel so much better. I mean, I like lifting weights, I like walking, but running is such a different feeling, especially when so many of us are cooped up at home or at work, sitting in front of a computer all day, getting out and running is such a nice contrast to all that.

vouge09
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I seem to feel alot of injury when I run too. I hate running.

I did hear that running makes your uterus drop, and it's bad for your knees. I'm kinda scared to try running.

JulieJ08
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Asphalt is better than concrete (even if you feel weird for running in the road when there's a sidewalk right next to you -- I know I still do!) as long as the road isn't curved at the edges so that your legs are at different heights.

Sigh, I don't think there are any streets in my whole county that aren't sloped from the center.

bookworm
04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I went to a running store today after work and got a good pair of shoes, and with all the info from you guys I'm feeling enthused about getting out there!

Buttercup
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Wonderful thread! Just what I needed! I walk a whole lot and have not had the courage to run. I feel self concious and it feels like I am trying to roll a mountain! But with this thread and looking at the recommended sites, I feel so excited! I am going to try it! Thanks everyone and wish me luck! I want to RUN too!

dwizzlex10
04-30-2009, 03:44 AM
i love running, i run alot and i do alot of marathons. when running the trick is to control your breathing and think about something to get your mind off the running. Try to run with a partner or take a zune, ipod etc. Running is one the best forms of cardio and for weight loss..

Fat Pants
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Just another note about doing programs like c25k or Runner's World beginner running program - if you don't feel ready to advance to the next week...then don't! It's ok to go at your own pace and repeat a week if you need to. Sometimes I found that I was getting discouraged when I didn't feel like I was improving enough to move on to the next week, but that's alright! Listen to your body!

I also found that weeks 3-6 were probably the hardest because you don't feel like you're making much progress. I've heard this from a lot of beginning runners (no matter the program). But if you stick with it, something just sort of clicks and you'll find yourself making a lot of progress if you can just stick with it through those tough times!

Fressca
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I run on the treadmill... I'm not crazy about it, but I like it better than I used to. And it delivers results. In addition to all the good advice re shoes, bras etc already posted, I say good songs on an iPod, and HIIT. Those things make the time fly by.

MBN
04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I did hear that running makes your uterus drop, and it's bad for your knees. I'm kinda scared to try running.

Old wives tales -- the "it will make your uterus drop" one has been around a long, long time! Quite untrue!! (And I won't share the visual image that one gives me) :p

It is true that running is a high impact activity. If you have knee problems already, then the pounding caused by running won't help. I know plenty of people that have blown out their knees in other sports (football, basketball) and now can't can't run without aggravating their preexisting injury. But, if your knees are healthy, running in and of itself won't cause knee problems, any more than another high impact activity will. The most common causes of injury in beginner runners is either not having properly fitting shoes or ramping up mileage too fast for their muscles/tendons/ligaments to adapt to the new demands.

And to the OP -- I never thought I could run. I didn't start running until I was over 40. First I walked, then I ran/walked, and finally I was able to run continuously. It took a while, that's all. And now, it's one of my favorite things!! I run with friends, I run races, and have a great time with it.

Jeannette311
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Since I can run eight minutes in a row now (and man my legs are so SORE!) I can tell you my experiences!

I run on a treadmill at the gym. My gym likes these shiny things called "mirrors." I don't like them. I stayed away from the gym until they built a cardio cinema. It's all dark and they play movies all day and no one bothers you in there. Sometimes they play gory or stupid or "shaky" movies in there, but I just focus on something else and go. Or I'll pop on my iPod and listen to music or a podcast. And I figure if I run I can get out of there faster!

Last month I was finally better from a long illness and I started running again. My idea of running starting in January was running for 30 seconds without stopping. So, by the time I got sick in February I was a little better but not AWESOME. So anyway, when I started back up in March I was in constant pain. My shoes needed to be replaced, which I did. It STILL hurt. So, I figured that there was something wrong but I was mistaken. I just had to get USED to it. The pain was all mental. I had to push through it and after about a minute I don't feel anything but the need to go faster and longer. Of course, my...upper body...has always been a little large so having these fatbags flop around is something that is annoying. Time to invest in another really good bra. Maybe even wear two at once. When I figure it out I'll let you know. My idea for a boob shelf is awesome but I might get some weird looks.

Oh, and I've also found that I have to be on my feet for awhile before I can even think of running. So if I haven't been active at work or right after work, then I need to do a good 10 minutes on the treadmill. Jumping up and down and stretching my calves help too. OH! And most importantly, make sure your bladder is EMPTY.

So, cliffnotes:

Watch a movie or listen to music or something that is a bit of a distraction

Even if you're getting somewhere and you feel great about it and you have to stop for a period of time, you probably will have to recondition yourself to be back where you were before.

Get the right equipment! Shoes for running are a must! Get fitted if you can, and check online for deals on running shoes! Bras are important (if you are a girl, haha) but you might have to use trial and error. I haven't found one I love yet.

Fight through the pain UNLESS you really think something is wrong. It could be because of your shoes but it might be something like shinsplints. Trust your gut.

Stretch! Move around! Make your muscles all warm and stuff! Yesterday I didn't do as I should and my run was a FAILURE.

Please potty before you run!

FInally, I am no expert. I just started a few months ago, but I've changed a lot. My legs are smaller (allegedly), I look forward to the gym, I don't mind running around others, I feel better and sleep better, and somehow, it's all easier for me to NOT eat junk now. Although I crave burgers like MAD.

Rowenna
04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I have dabbled in running - I do treadmill and elliptical often enough, and I've run outside sporadically. There is a 5K for charity this Saturday that I just found out about, and I think I'd like to give it a try. Is it feasible to do one without actually training for it? I can definitely run for 30-40 minutes (I go slowly, and get tired, but I can keep it up for that long) but I don't do it often. Any thoughts or experiences people can share about their first 5Ks would be appreciated!

CakeBatter
04-30-2009, 02:49 PM
to the OP - I started running in January. I tried the C25K back in November with a buddy but I gave up on it because it was too slow for me. So then again in January I just started running as long as I could then walk long enough to catch my breath and so on until I could run a full mile. Then I upped my mileage from there. Basically if I can get past the first 5 minutes I am straight. I believe it is truly mental. Just stick with it and go slow, slow, slow. I started running 4.4MPH Yeah that slow! HAHA I totally love it now and I have losing weight faster. i just feel so accomplished when I am finished.!

MBN
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I have dabbled in running - I do treadmill and elliptical often enough, and I've run outside sporadically. There is a 5K for charity this Saturday that I just found out about, and I think I'd like to give it a try. Is it feasible to do one without actually training for it? I can definitely run for 30-40 minutes (I go slowly, and get tired, but I can keep it up for that long) but I don't do it often. Any thoughts or experiences people can share about their first 5Ks would be appreciated!

Sure, it's feasible. If you can walk 3.1 miles, then you can do a 5K. You can walk the whole thing, run/walk it, or run, depending on your baseline fitness level.

My first race was a 5 miler. I hadn't actually trained, but I did go out and complete 4 miles of run/walk intervals so I figured I could make 5 miles. My sister was encouraging me to train for a half marathon with her, and I wanted to see what this whole race thing was about. So I showed up for the race, not knowing ANYTHING about running a race and just took off with the rest of the pack. Of course I was completely out of breath in the first, oh, 3 minutes and had to take a walk break. I walked until I could run, and ran until I had to walk. Repeat for 5 miles. I finished the thing in just under an hour, COMPLETELY impressing myself at posting 12 minute miles. I remember crossing the finish line and hearing the announcer say "And thanks everyone for coming out today...."! Hey, I wasn't last! There were even some bagels left.

Crossing that finish line, my first "athletic" event EVER, at age 40+, was a revelation. I had reached down inside myself and accomplished something difficult that I never even thought I was capable of, there were people actually cheering me on ... I was overwhelmed! And hooked. I did train for, and complete, that half marathon with my sister 6 months later, and have gone on to complete many more races of all distances since. And I still get a thrill of accomplishment every time I cross that finish line, no matter how fast or slow I've made it there.

Jeannette311
05-01-2009, 10:17 AM
So I decided to pick up Runner's World Magazine. I'm going to subscribe. =)

Mrs Snark
05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
So I decided to pick up Runner's World Magazine. I'm going to subscribe. =)

RW is my FAVORITE magazine. I wish they put out 4 issues per month because I gobble it all up the same day I get it.

Jeannette311
05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
RW is my FAVORITE magazine. I wish they put out 4 issues per month because I gobble it all up the same day I get it.

I'm really excited to get it. I got the 2 years for $24 plus a book about running for $13. And two free gifts and two trial issues. I never thought I would love running so much...and I never thought that I could do it.

Fat Pants
05-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I love the RW magazine too, but I never realized how professional these people are until I was talking about a marathon race time with my husband. I mentioned something like "it seems like the times I'm seeing in RW magazine are around 2:30:00-2:50:00 finishing times... that should be average." To which my husband replied "you know that means they're running at 10mph...right?" :yikes: That means at my current natural pace of 5mph it would take me 4 hours to run a marathon! (Probably more like 5 because I'm slow..haha).

So don't get discouraged when you read about these professional runners making out like bandits in races... if you're looking for some good advice on getting into shape from a NON-runner's perspective, try "Slow, Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. She started out at 267lbs and now does triathlons regularly. Also try http://www.johnbingham.com/index.html#rfm - he started out overweight (and contributes to RW magazine/rw.com regularly) so he has a lot of good advice for overweight beginners.

Jeannette311
05-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Fat Pants! I'm googling it now!

healthytoad
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
okay.. I must be a snail, I am only up to running at about 3.7 mph (on second week of week on c to 5k) I have tried this program before but went to fast and ended up hurt, this time I am taking it slooooooow and eaaaaasy!

Jeannette311
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
okay.. I must be a snail, I am only up to running at about 3.7 mph (on second week of week on c to 5k) I have tried this program before but went to fast and ended up hurt, this time I am taking it slooooooow and eaaaaasy!

Don't feel bad! I only went at about 4.7 yesterday, and adjusted as low as 4.2 when I needed to. I think you're doing really well!

Fat Pants
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM

I started out at 4.0 and now run around 5.0. I am training to complete my first 5k in September, so my first goal is to be able to run for 30-40 minutes straight, without walking. Once I have that accomplished, I will move on to speed. There are some parts of my 5k route going uphill that I am SURE that someone can walk faster than I am running, but that's not important right now... I just gotta keep running! :D

willow68
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
i did my first day of 1min run, 2 min walk at 5mph for running and between 3.5-4mph for walking. i have the feeling i could go a little faster when i am running since i for some reason feel more grounded when running at a faster pace. not sure if it makes sense.

i will try running at 5.2mph or up tomorrow...

oh, and i love runner's world!!!

midwife
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes to good shoes. Yes to Runners World. And a heads up on something I saw this am....in the US anyway, running on a path is like driving. Keep to your right. There was a lady running/walking to her left on the path (dressed in black and it was dark still) and she almost got run over by all the folks who were keeping to the right and heading in her direction.

dutchgirl
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
i did my first day of 1min run, 2 min walk at 5mph for running and between 3.5-4mph for walking. i have the feeling i could go a little faster when i am running since i for some reason feel more grounded when running at a faster pace. not sure if it makes sense.

It absolutely makes sense!
I am doing the C25K to the DJ Beatsmith podcasts and found especially week 2 a bit difficult. In week 3 he picks up the pace just a bit, and to me that makes all the difference. I sailed through week 3 and started week 4 this morning. I ran for a total of16 minutes!

Buttercup
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I bought the new Runners World after reading about it on this thread! I LOVED the article for beginners! It was so clear and answered all kinds of questions I had plus gave a lot of support for people wanting to start running! Thanks again for such a great post!!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!:woops:

jajabee
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I really enjoyed "Slow, Fat Triathlete". :) She's a great author. I'm planning to enter my first Sprint Triathlon this August because of it. :)

Windchime
05-04-2009, 12:53 AM
OK, I'm off to get a copy of Runner's World tomorrow. I have been wanting to run for a long time and finally got the Robert Ullrey podcasts to work on my mp3 player (it's not an iPod so it was a struggle, grrrrr). I did the first day this evening on the high school track and it wasn't too hard at all, although I felt I need a butt-bra because I could feel the fat on my behind jiggling up and down as I jogged. Oh well! I have tried "jogging" before but never with any real structure around my learning so I'm excited to see how this all goes.

willow68
05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
i struggled through my w1d1. skipped one running part.
i am also using ullrey's podcast. like it a lot!

back on the treadmill tomorrow.

mayness
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Yes to good shoes. Yes to Runners World. And a heads up on something I saw this am....in the US anyway, running on a path is like driving. Keep to your right. There was a lady running/walking to her left on the path (dressed in black and it was dark still) and she almost got run over by all the folks who were keeping to the right and heading in her direction.

On the same note, if you're running on an actual road, you keep to the LEFT, opposite of traffic (so you can see the cars coming that are closest to you). Now that it's nicer outside, I've seen lots of people out running, and plenty of them on the wrong side of the road! (In my part of town, US citizens are in the minority... so I can't assume that everyone knows better... but it does make it awkward when they're coming at you from the other direction and you have to avoid a head-on collision, lol).

Fat Pants
05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
OK, I'm off to get a copy of Runner's World tomorrow. I have been wanting to run for a long time and finally got the Robert Ullrey podcasts to work on my mp3 player (it's not an iPod so it was a struggle, grrrrr). I did the first day this evening on the high school track and it wasn't too hard at all, although I felt I need a butt-bra because I could feel the fat on my behind jiggling up and down as I jogged. Oh well! I have tried "jogging" before but never with any real structure around my learning so I'm excited to see how this all goes.

:lol: I felt like I needed a tummy bra when I started running... man, oh man was I jiggly. I'm STILL jiggly, but at least not as jiggly!

One thing about running... it'll zap away the inches in a hurry.

Fat Pants
05-04-2009, 03:02 PM
On the same note, if you're running on an actual road, you keep to the LEFT, opposite of traffic (so you can see the cars coming that are closest to you).

Ugh, yes!!! I sometimes run inside a national park and there is a designated lane for runners/bikers with "NO PARKING" painted in it... it doesn't stop tourists from parking in it anyway, which forces me to run in the road. :mad: This does bring up a very good point about runner safety: if in the U.S., run opposite of the flow of traffic and on sidewalks when you can. Check out this article from RW on runner safety:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-384--1914-0,00.html

losermom
05-04-2009, 04:29 PM
DH (a long-distance runner in HS) and I started the C25K on Saturday. I'm hoping that he can help me with my technique since I have never run successfully before. I tried it about 6 weeks ago and I was obviously doing something wrong because my rt hip and knees were so sore. Maybe I did not stretch properly, but I now know that I was trying to go too fast. DH has clued me in. He's super pumped and excited about the program and it's something fun for us to do together.

Buttercup
05-05-2009, 11:42 PM
:lol: I felt like I needed a tummy bra when I started running... man, oh man was I jiggly. I'm STILL jiggly, but at least not as jiggly!

One thing about running... it'll zap away the inches in a hurry.

LOL! I had to laugh at these posts! That is exactly how I feel! Like I am running in slow motion since I am so big BUT a can do it a little longer each day and I know one day I won't feel the jiggles!

Windchime
05-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I've always been pretty happy with how my butt looks (or how I *imagine* it looks), until I started c25k. Now it feels like this huge flabby thing bouncing up and down back there!

I think I need to get new shoes. People always say "go to a real running store and get fitted", but we don't have anything like that around here. I can go to the greater Seattle area, though--any suggestions? Has anyone ever been to "Run 26" in Lynnwood? Is that a 'real running store"?

Fat Pants
05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Windchime - From the looks of it, yes Run 26 would be a good choice. Seattle Running Company looks like a good store, too: http://seattlerunningcompany.com/

I go to one here coincidentally named Boulder Running Company. They are a great local business and I feel good every time I go in... they really pay attention to you. It can be a little overwhelming, but the right person knows their shoes and will recommend the right ones to you. At BRC, they do it by process of elimination...after checking your gait/pronation, they will give you some shoes to try on and then eliminate the ones that don't feel perfect until you've found the right shoe. They can be expensive, but it makes all the difference in the world in terms of running.

Buttercup - Hey, I started out slow, too! In fact I still think I am pretty slow... my husband (who is almost a foot taller than me) will run with me and sometimes my running speed is his walking speed. :lol:

Windchime
05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Windchime - From the looks of it, yes Run 26 would be a good choice. Seattle Running Company looks like a good store, too: http://seattlerunningcompany.com/

I thought Seattle Running Company looked good, too. I would have to screw up my courage to drive into downtown Seattle, which is kind of scary to me. Seattle has lots of confusing one-ways and steep hills which can get me turned around, but it would be worth it to get good shoes. After my second night of c25k, I could feel a twinge in my hip and I am sure it's from my cheap shoes.

Fat Pants
05-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought Seattle Running Company looked good, too. I would have to screw up my courage to drive into downtown Seattle, which is kind of scary to me. Seattle has lots of confusing one-ways and steep hills which can get me turned around, but it would be worth it to get good shoes. After my second night of c25k, I could feel a twinge in my hip and I am sure it's from my cheap shoes.

I understand that. I hate driving in downtown Denver and avoid it at all costs. ;) I had the hip thing (and the shin thing...and the knee thing...) too before I got fitted for proper running shoes. They make all the difference!

Jinksie
05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
i would love to be a jogger/runner but i feel like im dying when i try. My liver hurts (right side "stitch") - even if i've not drank much, and my lungs burn.

Did you ladies have the same thing? and how did you over come it?

I remember in 07 when i tried running, after about 2 weeks, my left ankle would hurt during an exercise DVD or crack. So i gave it up :(

Windchime
05-06-2009, 11:18 PM
I think it really helped me to work on the elliptical for a couple of months before I started c25k. My first time on the elliptical was 11 minutes and I thought I was going to die, but I eventually worked up to 38 minutes and then I started doing intervals. So that helped to build up my heart and lungs, or so it seems.

And when I say that I'm "running", that's technically true but nobody is going to confuse what I'm doing with effortless sprinting! I have lost over 22 pounds, but I go from feeling trimmer and fit to feeling flabby and heavy once I start running. I feel really out of shape physically, but I think that the cardio work I did on the elliptical helped tremendously.

teawithsunshine
05-07-2009, 06:31 AM
You know, while you're at it, you could check out "Once a Runner: a Novel" by John L. Parker... Just been reissued & it's considered a classic piece of literature in the Running world :)

losermom
05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
DH & I just finished out 1st week of c25k! We are so proud of ourselves!

mayness
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
i would love to be a jogger/runner but i feel like im dying when i try. My liver hurts (right side "stitch") - even if i've not drank much, and my lungs burn.

Did you ladies have the same thing? and how did you over come it?

I remember in 07 when i tried running, after about 2 weeks, my left ankle would hurt during an exercise DVD or crack. So i gave it up :(

It sounds to me like you're trying to go much too fast! Slow down. A lot. No matter how slow you start out, you're building up the leg/butt/hip muscles and cardiovascular endurance needed for running, and eventually you can go faster. Measure out a distance somewhere, or go to a track, and time yourself to see how fast you're going... then try to run that distance more slowly. I run at about 5mph, or a 12-minute mile. It's slow, and I'm always going to come in just before the walkers in a race, but that's what my short little legs and still-out-of-shape body can handle.

Also, focus on your breathing -- if you're taking really shallow breaths and expanding at your chest instead of your stomach, that can lead to the side cramps. Take deep, full breaths, breathing in through your nose and out through your moth as much as possible. (The pathway from your nose to your lungs filters and humidifies the air more efficiently, so it's easier on your lungs.)

The ankle pain could have been from bad shoes... we've beaten the shoe topic into the ground already so I don't need to say any more, lol. If you had good running shoes that fit well... maybe you were just doing too much too soon? It's good to start out slowly with a running program... slowly build up your distance, and don't run two days back to back at first.