Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy I hate vegetables.

So, this is my 4th week of the program and I'm struggling with the whole vegetable thing. I've never been one to eat vegetables, other than lettuce, carrots and corn. Of course, only one of those is on program and I'm so sick of eating lettuce. I feel like I might vomit if I even look at lettuce again.

I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't the program for me, because I can't make myself eat vegetables. I've lost 13 pounds and about 40 inches, so I know it's working, and my mom (who is doing this with me) has spent a lot of money on this so I don't want to give up too soon. But if I'm not eating enough because of the lack of vegetables then I'm going to be counterproductive and slow down my metabolism.

I think a lot of my problem is stress. I've been really stressed out the past couple weeks because of college, and I will be for at least another week with my third research paper left to do and then finals. I'm definitely a stress eater so I've been cheating a lot. Hopefully, when this semester is over and I'm not stressed out, I'll be able to stay strong with the program. I'm just struggling with all of this right now and needed to vent, thanks for listening... or ya know, reading.
RachelOnADiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

My suggestion is to look up different ways to cook them. My husband isn't a big fan of fish but with the right seasonings he has learned to like it.

If you like garlic then veggies cooked with a little garlic powder or salt is so yummy I just cut up a zucchini and onion and asparagus and whatever else, toss in a bit of olive oil and garlic and YUMMY!

I think if you try one different vegetable a week you'll find ones that you like in time.

Also, there are so many different types of "lettuce" out there, not just iceberg, but there are baby greens, spinach, romaine, and so on. I'm not a huge fan of iceberg I prefer romaine and baby greens- nice and soft and SOOO good for you Try mixing up the salads and I bet you'll like them more- iceberg isn't as good as the other ones anyways
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #3  
On a journey

S/C/G: 376/we'll see/180

Height: 5'2"

Beerab's right. There are so many great veggies out there and tons of ways of preparing them. My ultimate favorite side dish is just a big pan of different veggies: carrots, zucchini, squash, sweet potato and some garlic cloves with a dash of olive oil on top thrown in the oven and set to roast until the garlic is all creamy and yummy and the veggies are kind of caramelized and sweet. So yummy!!

How about putting some zucchini, mushrooms and onions on skewers and grilling them on the bbq? De-lish! The internet is a great place for many great veggie recipes. Let your fingers do the typing and let Google be your friend.
NorCal Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #4  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 239.5/232.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelOnADiet View Post
So, this is my 4th week of the program and I'm struggling with the whole vegetable thing. I've never been one to eat vegetables, other than lettuce, carrots and corn. Of course, only one of those is on program and I'm so sick of eating lettuce. I feel like I might vomit if I even look at lettuce again.

I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't the program for me, because I can't make myself eat vegetables. I've lost 13 pounds and about 40 inches, so I know it's working, and my mom (who is doing this with me) has spent a lot of money on this so I don't want to give up too soon. But if I'm not eating enough because of the lack of vegetables then I'm going to be counterproductive and slow down my metabolism.

I think a lot of my problem is stress. I've been really stressed out the past couple weeks because of college, and I will be for at least another week with my third research paper left to do and then finals. I'm definitely a stress eater so I've been cheating a lot. Hopefully, when this semester is over and I'm not stressed out, I'll be able to stay strong with the program. I'm just struggling with all of this right now and needed to vent, thanks for listening... or ya know, reading.

You could do some Broccoli with some of your protien allowance and make cheesey broccoli. I like to roast fresh asparagus with a little olive oil and seasoning. It is really good. There are some veg recipes in the cookbook. The cheesey mushrooms are good. Try not to get frustrated, I did and went off plan for about a week or so and went back since I spent so much money and now I am loosing so fast. It is worth it.
lmickley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #5  
Remodeling The Temple

S/C/G: 229.5/161.5/149.5

I'm not big on vegetables myself and I easily make myself sick of eating the same thing over and over...here are some suggestions:

Brocolli, cheese and the chicken bullion HNS for soup
George Foreman some squash/zucchini
Frozen spinach (the green giant ones that are microwavable)

Try to eat the cooked vegatables more because you only have to eat 4oz of those rather than gagging on 8 oz of raw lettuce.

Do you like tomatos? The grape tomatoes are good. And 8oz comes pretty quick with those.

I also buy the shredded cabbage and make a oil and vinegar dressing for it, kind of like coleslaw without the mayo.

Hope this helps!
silverbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. I'll try some of those!

Silly me, I just found the forum all about vegetables....

Last edited by RachelOnADiet; 04-28-2009 at 10:26 PM.
RachelOnADiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Another idea is to mix the vegetables in with a protein. For example, make tuna salad by putting your tuna, MRC ranch dressing (or MRC Mayo) in your food processor with celery, green onions, bell pepper, squash, mushrooms, etc., and blend it all up together. Eat it on a bed of lettuce or make a lettuce 'wrap'. I can't get a full 8 oz of raw veggies in it, but I can get about 4. Then I can eat the other 4 in raw cucumbers with the Italian spritzer dressing, and it's not bad at all. Since you're in week 4, you don't have to have as many raw veggies which probably helps.

Also, another idea for mixing in the veggies, last night I made taco meat using a teaspoon of the lower sodium taco seasoning and also adding in finely chopped bell pepper, green onion and even zucchini. Be creative and you can find ways to mix veggies in with other dishes.
Succeed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Also forgot to mention you use leftover baked chicken instead of tuna and make chicken salad the same way as the tuna salad above. I made it once with raw spinach mixed in, too. Try some different things and hopefully you'll find something to make getting all the veggies down easier!
Succeed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 358/337.5/200

Height: 5'10"

Smile

Oh believe me I ABHORE vegitables, I can't even eat lettuce, it makes me sick. what i have found that helps me is that i can take tomatoes, bell pepper, and onions and blend them together in my food processor, its about 1 roma tomato, 1/2 a bell pepper, and 3-4 green onions blended until smooth, then i take this and i use it in place of the tomato supplement in recipies, kinda gives recipies that use the tomato supplement a nice kick.
silverfox1016 is offline   Reply With Quote