100 lb. Club - Sugar is evil.

View Full Version : Sugar is evil.

Jen415
04-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Especially when it comes in the form of buttercreme frosted birthday cake.

We went to a friend's house for a BBQ. They surprised me with a buttercreme birthday cake that would just blow your freakin' mind! One bite and I was gone.

My first mistake was taking the first bite. The second mistake was taking it home with me afterward. But I didn't want to hurt their feelings. I spent most of Sunday in a sugar fog. Now I am spending today detoxing.

I can't do this anymore. Sugar is poison to me. But it feels like it has a stranglehold on my body and my mind. I keep coming back to it. It's like no other "drug". Unless I get it under control, this stuff is going to kill me.

I know what I should have done--say NO, NO, HECK NO!!. When will I learn that my health is way more important than hurting someone's feelings??

[/rant]

Devsmama
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Jen, I too have a strange relationship with sugar. I battle it everyday and find that now, sugar in fruit is good enough for me. Now that being said, it was your birthday, you had slice and you are probably right that you should have not taken that cake home. You have to keep reminding yourself that hurting someone's feelings is better than hurting your own body. That will come, it takes time, but you have to put yourself first in that sort of situation.

I don't think you did that bad, keep it movin' and next time you will know better.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
No! This stuff is not going to kill you because you are taking control. Today. Today is the day that you've learned to put your health first. Make a decision that you won't allow this to happen to yourself again. In this, you are truly in the drivers seat. I understand what it means to have this addiction and I have to learn to say 'No' too.

chickiegirl
04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
There's just nothing like it, is there? It's such a tough thing to fight.

I notice immediately now when I eat too much sugar and get all sleepy and feeling icky.

Well, it was one day. You're back on track and you know it's bad. And you know something you could've done differently to mitigate the damage (not taking any home).

Any way to just tell folks you're watching your sugar intake? I know people can be upset, but really, they need to get past it if it's something we're doing for our health.

beerab
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Throw out the rest of the cake or give it away at work, and then move on- one slice of cake won't hurt- it's your bday and a nice gesture from a friend. Now just think it's one more year before it'll happen again lol.

ladyrider72472
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I battle with sugar too! One bite gets me into this "I can eat what I want" mentality and then the coma comes later. I spend my weekends soooo lethargic, but I am not taking the steps I need to stop it!

Oh, one thing I do when I don't want to offend anyone---- I know this is going to sound bad and wasteful, but it is a waste in my body too. So, I take the item saying THANKS, and then toss it at a fast food or car wash dumpster on the way home! It does not make it through my threshold!

Tammy

Jen415
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I forgot to mention that I did give away the rest of the cake to others, so it is no longer around. But next time I will just say no. I'm worth it.

time2lose
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
You were in a hard spot. Yes, your health is more important than hurting someone's feelings but friends are important too.

I think that it is great that you gave the rest of the cake away. I really believe that I am addicted to sugar. One piece of cake would cause all types of cravings.

Next year, long before your birthday, tell your friends that you can not handle cake. If they see you turn it down on other occasions, they will get the idea and not have one for your birthday. Then even if they do get you one, they should not be surprised when you say, "I really appreciate you going to so much trouble, but I am afraid I can't have any. Everyone else enjoy it." or something to that effect.

BTW - Happy Birthday!

Slashnl
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Mmmm. Buttercreme frosting...

Tough call on that one. I know we shouldn't eat something just to save someone else's feelings, but the cake was made for YOUR birthday. I think you did ok. Now, if you took the cake home and ate it all yourself, that would have been really bad!!!

sweetandspicy
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
I have often joked that I am addicted to sugar and that Betty Crocker is my dealer. Joke or not it is true. I can just have a little taste of sugar and I am on my "high" and just want more and more and obviously I have the addictive personality and do not know when to stop. I think you can not cut out sugar all together but in moderation it can be controled.. Good luck

Meg
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
When I was faced with the exact situation, I took a piece so not to hurt my (very dear) friend's feelings. I then mashed it up with my fork, made yummy noises, stirred it all around the plate, made a giant mess, and pronounced it delicious. No one knew that I hadn't actually taken a bite and everyone (including me) was happy. :)

time2lose
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Meg,
What a graceful way to handle the situation!

rockinrobin
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Not gonna even touch on the what I would have done in that circumstance. I will say this though. People know me well enough *now* to never, ever get me that kind of birthday cake ever again. My 2 past birthdays, the first was a gorgeous fruit platter. Gorgeous. My kids even made Happy Birthday Mom out of pineapple!!! This past year, I was given a fat free/sugar free ice cream cake.

I can't do this anymore. Sugar is poison to me

I'm just thrilled that you've come to the realization that you can't have sugar in your life. It's a biggie to wrap your head around. Took me lots of years to come to that conclusion.

I had been hearing for years already that if I wanted to successfully lose weight and keep it off that banning sugar was the way to go. I figured, that's it. I'm doomed. No way on earth I can live without sugar. And then after more years of trying this and that and more years of being miserable and not being the best ME - I finally, finally realized that I can't live WITH the stuff either. So, after wanting to live my best life possible, I gave it a shot. And lo and behold making sugar an absolute NO, no should I?, shouldn't I, (very, very strict in the beginning) WAS the way to go!!! Like the true addict that I am, it was a tough 10 days - and then - it got SOOOOO much better. My wants/cravings/desires for it greatly, greatly diminished. I think you will find this true for yourself as well. I have never heard one person, not a single solitary one, upon removing sugar from their "diet", regret it. Not a one.

You CAN do this Jen. You CAN and you should. You too will not regret it. I'm absolutely certain of it. :hug:

WarMaiden
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Similar to Robin, I do not in the least regret eliminating sugar from my life. Quite the opposite, actually; I feel positively joyful to have given it up. And even when I do take a bite of something like cake now, my immediate reaction is, "This is just not tasty enough to be worth it."

Give it time, make sure to REALLY detox yourself and eliminate the cravings, and then you will be amazed how things will change.

thinpossible
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
A couple of years ago alcohol started to make me sick. Even a half a glass would make me really nauseous and give me a horrible headache. Alcohol was fun, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't worth it to me to keep drinking. I've recently sworn of junk, and decided to handle the situation the same way with sugar as I did with alcohol. Just say, "No thanks, that stuff looks great, but it makes me sick." Technically being obese does lead to illness and disease, so it's the truth. People really can't argue with that statement, it spares people's feelings, and easily drops the subject.

Jen415
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the responses. This is not going to be easy for me, because I really REALLY love sugar. I could have eaten all the frosting off that entire cake and not thought twice. And I would have been sick as a dog. But I probably would have done it again.

No, this has to be a conscious choice to NOT knowingly put that in my mouth again. Even if I never have another taste of sugar, I know I will survive--even thrive.

Wynter
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
It's the combination of sugar, fat, & flour that gets me! Things like jelly beans and hard candies don't call to me at all. But leave me alone with a pound of chocolate buttercreams or a luscious cake and I'm in trouble! Realistically I know I will never be able to totally give those things up, but I also know from past experience that I can get control over it. I just need to get back to that place where my mind allows me to have just one small piece, include it in my plan for the day, and then retreat. Of course, if I take the whole thing home with me I'm dead!

thinpossible
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
It's the combination of sugar, fat, & flour that gets me! Things like jelly beans and hard candies don't call to me at all. But leave me alone with a pound of chocolate buttercreams or a luscious cake and I'm in trouble!

You and me both, sister.

rockinrobin
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
This is not going to be easy for me, because I really REALLY love sugar

Jen, I know it won't. Many things worth while aren't always so easy - in the beginning.

Don't forget though that EATING sugar is not easy for you either. Well, eating it is, but the consequences are EXTREMELY difficult. And dangerous.

It took me about 10 hard days. I stuck to my guns though no matter what. Not a lick or a taste. Because I made the decision to do so. Because I decided, like I said earlier, I could not have sugar in my life and have the type of life that I so desperately wanted - and deserved. I stuck it out and when those 10 days were over and done with - it became SO much easier. It was truly a miracle for me. I lost interest in the evil poison. It no longer had a hold on me. I found control. I went and got it. And my life has not been the same since - in a good way. In a very, very good way. :)

seashell
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't know if anyone here follows a low carb plan, but sugar is seen as a very addictive substance. It converts to fat in your body instantly. I was a huge sugar addict . . after 2 weeks of no sugar - meat, cheese, egg and certain veggies, I don't want it anymore. No more cravings and it's easy for me to pass by the sugar because I like how "clean" I feel now and I don't want to go back to the sugar coma.
I baked cookies for the kids the other day and had no desire to eat it because I know how bad it would make me feel and the path one lick of the spoon would bring me down.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi. I'm Rhonda and I'm a HFCS and sugar-aholic.

I always hear people say that they can no longer stand the overly sweet taste of a real soda, a piece of birthday cake, a scoop of real ice cream. As much as I hate to say it, I have never reached that point. It doesn't matter how long I've abstained, just one taste and I'm in love again. Crazy in love. I go on a binge and just can't get enough. And, I get seriously depressed, fatigued, irritable...and, ultimately fat with tons of horrible visceral fat around my organs. HFCS and sugar make me miserable.

5aday
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I struggle with birthday and holiday sweets also. I am trying to help my family and friends celebrate with me in new ways. I love Robin's fruit idea. We are also looking to do more active things like go to the beach or on a hike where the icing on the cake would melt. A trip to the spa is a good girly treat with friends or even an evening in doing nails and eating spa food. Instead of cake what do you what them to bring you on your next birthday?

nik1305
04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
For those of you have cut sugar out of your diet.. Do you mean you just don't use sugar (like in coffee, tea, baking etc)... or you just don't eat ANYTHING with any type of sugar in it? Do you use artificial sweetners? Right now I can't even fathom cutting sugar out of my diet.. not that I eat a whole lot of it.. but it just seems to be in everything! lol just curious. Maybe it's something I should consider.

Jen415
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
WELL....I survived my first sugar free day. Not as many withdrawl symptoms as I thought I might have, which is good! I just have to stick to it. I have to remind myself every day that sugar is poison and will only keep me imprisoned in this body.

rockinrobin
04-28-2009, 10:50 AM
For those of you have cut sugar out of your diet.. Do you mean you just don't use sugar (like in coffee, tea, baking etc)... or you just don't eat ANYTHING with any type of sugar in it? Do you use artificial sweetners? Right now I can't even fathom cutting sugar out of my diet.. not that I eat a whole lot of it.. but it just seems to be in everything! lol just curious. Maybe it's something I should consider.

We're all different in the levels that we take it to. In the very early stages of my weight loss journey, I even kept fruit to a bare minimum. I did/still do eat lots of veggies though. And there is sugar in them. But the sugar in say, carrots doesn't affect me the same way a brownie does. Although I find sweet potatoes can send me off. Doesn't take much to do it. ;)

Sugar IS in lots of things. That's why *most* of the foods that I eat, I make myself, this way I control what's in there - and what's NOT in there.

Anything with under 5 grams per serving is considered a low sugar product.

I also couldn't fathom cutting sugar out of my diet. Which is why I thought I was doomed forever. Now I can't imagine having in my diet, with the exception of those rare times when I do have it. Because now that I'm in maintenance I HAVE brought it back in on a once in a while basis and in very controlled circumstances.

WELL....I survived my first sugar free day. Not as many withdrawl symptoms as I thought I might have, which is good! I just have to stick to it. I have to remind myself every day that sugar is poison and will only keep me imprisoned in this body.

Jen. This is GREAT!!!! One day under your belt. And yes - of course you have to stick to it. Stick to it. Stick to it. You keep on reminding yourself throughout the day, as many times as necessary. You'll get there. You'll get there.

I'm excited for you. SO excited, as I know this is going to transform your very life!!!!

thinpossible
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM

That's awesome! Join us on the new Trigger Food Victory Lap thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170082)

WarMaiden
04-28-2009, 11:47 AM

My rules:

-- I don't eat white, refined sugar at all. Very occasionally now I'll have a small bite/taste of something that maybe my husband is having, but mostly that's just to remind myself that whatever it is, isn't that great. The only other exception is that rarely, I have a couple small squares of super-dark chocolate.

-- In baking I use a combination of sucralose (Splenda), dried fruit, fruit juice, molasses, honey, and agave syrup for the desired effect. But other than whole-wheat bread for my kids' lunches, I don't bake that often any more--couple of times per month.

-- When I want a sweet treat, most of the time I fix myself a cup of hot chocolate simply by using cocoa, agave syrup, and nonfat milk. Very occasionally I'll have no-sugar ice cream with fruit-only preserves on top.

-- In addition to limiting refined sugar, I must continue to be careful with fruit sugars. Fruit is capable of sending me into deeper hunger and cravings. And I LOVE fruit and hate to have to limit it, but I'd rather limit it than feel insane with hunger.

-- Yes, in our household we are very vigilant about buying products with no added sugar of any kind in them. I have taught my husband to read labels in order to look for sugar, and we stick to this principle like glue. He is utterly disgusted by how many products have some kind of sugar added to them. Best way to avoid added sugars, of course, is to use fewer processed products, which we do. (This is why I now make all the of the kids' sandwich bread--avoiding added sugars.)

barefootnikki
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I had trouble even reading this. I have sugar issues and the frosting you described is my downfall.
I can feel the tingly weird feeling in my jaw, just thinking about it.
Maybe for the future, tell your friends you do NOT want a cake or that you would really love angel food... it's so hard to make these changes.
Hang in there.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
WELL....I survived my first sugar free day. Yay!

BTW, if you do start to feel a little bit drug out or extremely fatigued, try eating some beans/peas/legumes. The extra fiber and protein will help alleviate your symptoms.

In the next few days, you are going to be amazed at how much more clear headed and energetic you will feel. I am excited for you! :cb:

nik1305
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
thanks for all the info! It's definitely something to think about.

cfmama
04-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I am so proud of you for going sugar free!!!! It was the best thing I could have ever done for my body and you will feel so much better for it!

I myself can eat fruits with sugar no problems but all refined sugars will send me craving so I really have to watch.

Jen415
04-29-2009, 08:57 AM
I survived my second sugar free day! And I can finally see the fog lifting from my little brain....:)

teahoney
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Good for you. You can do it!

time2lose
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
That is great! YOU can do this!

rockinrobin
04-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I survived my second sugar free day! And I can finally see the fog lifting from my little brain....:)

Not only CAN you do this - but you actually ARE doing this. YOU ARE DOING THIS!!!!!!!

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

cfmama
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Two days? you rock. You are awesome. You can DO THIS!!!!!!!

jennlovesnorcal
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I survived my second sugar free day! And I can finally see the fog lifting from my little brain....

Are you just not eating processed food or not adding sugar to beverages? My bff and I are in a heated debate about artificial sweeteners. She believes that sugar free coffee, ice cream, diet sodas are beneficial to her diet. And we completly disagree on aspartame flavored waters. I believe that the more natural the better. I have cut out the ice cream and mochas because I can't stand the idea of blowing that many empty calories and artificial stuff doesn't work for me. I found myself today though mentally feasting on all the naughty aisles in the grocery store. I came home and made salmon with spinach, but whew! It was a close one! I felt my craving try to grab a hold so I ran home to post!! I feel beter now!

Jenn

Jen415
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Jenn...I agree, the more natural the better! I am avoiding anything processed and limiting artificial sweetener. Baby steps....

And good for you for dodging your cravings!