General chatter - Swine flu

View Full Version : Swine flu

salamroya
04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
ANyone concerend about this?

The CDC put out and emergency alert about it this morning.
Keep your hands washed and hand sanitizer on the side!

luvmy3
04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
I was reading about that! I'm concerned since I work in retail and come in contact with alot of people on a daily basis.I worry for my children more than myself.I just hope they can get this under control and we don't get it at bad as it's hit Mexico.

GatorgalstuckinGA
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
not worries and i live in a major airport hub. We'll see what happens...more than likely it will die down and do only minor issues like most influenza cases do.

MandiK
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm concerned. I'm sure there will be a big briefing about it when I get to the hospital tomorrow....

flatiron
04-27-2009, 01:57 AM
seems like it is getting worse. 5 states now have confirmed cases in the US. The US government has put out a national health warning.

And Mexico has not shut down any of their airports only canceled large outdoor events.

I am not worried yet but this has the potential to be very bad. The CDC has been warning about this for a long time now. But they thought the avian flu would mutate first and start the human to human contagion. Swine flu surprised them all.

They have no explanation why the cases in Mexico are more fatal because it is the same flu here.

I noticed some places are recommending buying some masks and storing them in case we need them because in China when SARS broke out every mask in every store was sold out in a day and the 3M N95 mask they say is your best protection if you have to go out during a pandemic to get food or go to work.

GradPhase
04-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Slightly worried. I'm working for the tourism industry in AK this summer, which may as well be an airport hub.

Luckily most people in the area have masks in stock in their own homes from the volcano activity last month - so I feel Anchorage is a little ahead of the game. Better over prepared, than under prepared!

Bumbleberry
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
On a scale of 1-10 for worried, I'm about a 4 or maybe a 5. It may die down like SARS did, but then again, it may not.

The word "pandemic" scares people, but here is the explanation from Wikipedia:

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:[1]

* Emergence of a disease new to a population.
* Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.
* Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

A disease or condition is not a pandemic merely because it is widespread or kills many people; it must also be infectious. For instance, cancer is responsible for many deaths but is not considered a pandemic, because the disease is not infectious or contagious.

So yes, it is scary, but let's remember that the common flu can also kill people -- and I'm not scared of the common flu (I don't get a "flu shot"). That said, since this is a new strain it is concerning, especially since they do not yet have a vaccine for it (and yes I would probably get a vaccine for this one since it is relatively new and attacks healthy folks, unlike the common flu which is deadly to the sick, elderly and premature babies).

As for why people in Mexico died? I have my guesses. If the flu kills those in "richer" countries, I will be worried. But, I hate to say it, when a disease kills in a country like Mexico, my suspicion is that their deaths could have been prevented with the medical attention and, well, access to money and therefore medicine and things, that we have in North America. :(

LittleMoonRabbit
04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
I am not worried... I feel like these things are always made into a huge deal, and people panic and then 2 months later... nothing more is said about it. Yes, the deaths of these people is unfortunate. But, people die of different diseases all the time. Wash your hands, eat lots of healthy, nutrient rich foods and get plenty of exercise and sleep... it's really all you can do.

annie175
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I agree with LittleMoonRabbit.

Bumbleberry
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
My hubby just informed me that the US/Mexico border is closed? Is this true?

Kim_Star060404
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Not in Texas, we're running and open for business. Friends of ours just crossed about an hour ago coming home from visiting relatives there. If they've been closed, we usually find out about it rather quickly since we're so close and we have locals going back and forth daily. We've heard nothing thus far.

flatiron
04-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Border is not closed. It won't close for economic reasons. Mexico derives 1/3 of it's income from tourism. If the borders close then the airports close and then the economic consequences for Mexico would de very bad.

They will probably only close the border it the virus mutates again and starts killing people left and right.

The US goverment today raised the threat level to Level 4 which is unpresidented in modern history. It only goes to 6 and IF it does go to 6 the country will be ordered into a mass quarrentine into our homes untill all the people who have it either die or recover.

Little Moon Rabbit there has never been anything even close to this in modern history. The Hong Cong Flu in 1968 was not near as deadly even though it did kill a lot of people but mostly the elderly and young. This flu is killing healthy strong people between 20 and 40 and that's what is scaring the scientists so much.

Hand sanitizer will not protect you. I was reading a medical website this morning that when the infected people cough the droplets stay in the air a long time. All you have to do is walk through an area where someone who was coughing and you can be contaminated. The article also said that you can absorb the virus through unprotected eyes even if you have a mask on so they recommended wrap around sunglasses.

But I agree with Obama it is no time to go into panic mode. There are only a hundred or so cases in the US and no one has died from it yet. The danger is that it mutates again into a killer variety flu like the Spanish Flu that wiped out millions of lives.

The only thing we can do is watch and see for right now.

I still think it is a good idea to buy masks now because if the public does panic you won't find then anywhere!

In Mexico the public is ordered to wear a mask if they are out in public and masks right now are very hard to find there.

littlejojo
04-28-2009, 03:38 AM
I agree with what flatiron said ... The only thing we can do is watch and see for right now.

Platinum
04-28-2009, 05:31 AM
About that watch and see part...

I started a new "bookmark folder" about it. And I like to check this google map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=38.201392,67.851563&z=4) a couple times daily to see what's new so far.

prinny
04-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I am not terribly worried, these things tend to get sensationalized. At the same time my DH and I work from home and I already have a huge larder of earthquake supplies for both of us and the cats so if we do need to shut ourselves in for a month or two we can with no problems. Even more so if the power and water stay on!

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst... that's my motto!

Also, I just did some research to be sure but you can not get swine flu from eating pork, bacon, etc. It also won't be spread via produce as the virus can't live more than a few hours outside the body. Granted it's always better to buy local if you can but the Mexican stuff isn't going to make you sick. Still wash produce thoroughly to remove pesticides and such but it won't give you swine flu.

Feel better? I do! The more you know!

flatiron
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Also, I just did some research to be sure but you can not get swine flu from eating pork, bacon, etc. It also won't be spread via produce as the virus can't live more than a few hours outside the body.
Feel better? I do! The more you know!

I just listened to a doctor that was on Coast To Coast AM last night say that you DO have to worry about getting the virus from food from the grocery store. If someone who is infected coughs into their hands and then handles the fruit or vegetable it stays on the product a long time because it is usually in a cooler in a truck or the store cooler which acts as a refrigerator for the produce thus keeping the virus alive. The virus will die in the sunlight or with heat but most produce is kept or transported cold or cool.

And yes you are right you can't get sick from pork but the real fear is human to human transmission. They are afraid because it is spreading so fast. In a week it is on five continents now.

GradPhase
04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
As of the stats this morning, I'm pretty worried about it now.

LandonsBaby
04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
No, I am not worried and I am appalled by the media and government fear mongering. It's absurd.

Thighs Be Gone
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
ditto--we really do have enough to worry about right now without the fear mongering thing happening--sure, report it for what it is and encourage the precautions but the incessant reporting of the same thing is really old

mandalinn82
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Just a reminder to everyone that "More new cases" does not necessarily mean "people this virus just spread to in the last 24 hours". Most likely, these people were exposed to the virus a week or so ago, and have been sick, but due to the higher level of monitoring for this flu strain, are being identified as "Swine flu" cases rather than just plain ol' flu cases.

More cases, in the early days of outbreak identification, means that more people are being identified as having that particular virus strain, not necessarily that people are coming down with new infections. Only later in the outbreak tracking will a "new case" actually indicate new infection, rather than an already-infected person who was just detected. In other words, its totally normal to have rapidly climbing numbers in the first few days after an outbreak is identified...all of the people with remotely flu like symptoms are being tested in a way they would not have been before the outbreak was identified, resulting in more people testing positive because more people are being tested, period.

LandonsBaby
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
excellent points.

Bumbleberry
04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Those are good points indeed.

I just visited Health Canada's website and here are a few things I learned:

1 -- washing your hands is still the best way to avoid flu
2 -- the A and B vax for flu (i.e., "the flu shot") is unlikely to help
3 -- a new vax may be produced but it'll take 6 months
4 -- "pandemic" does not mean "severe illness" it means "wide spread illness"
5 -- those little blue face masks are not reccommended; in some cases they may help the spread of flu through improper use
6 -- you can't get it through eating pork if you cook it properly

ANOther
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I just listened to a doctor that was on Coast To Coast AM last night say that you DO have to worry about getting the virus from food from the grocery store. If someone who is infected coughs into their hands and then handles the fruit or vegetable it stays on the product a long time because it is usually in a cooler in a truck or the store cooler which acts as a refrigerator for the produce thus keeping the virus alive. The virus will die in the sunlight or with heat but most produce is kept or transported cold or cool.

Coast to Coast AM? Did the doctor have a tinfoil lining in his scrub hat?

Stick with Sanjay Gupta. Him I trust

willow650
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Not worried here either. My husband and I are taking the kids to Disney tomorrow, a women he works with told him that a man from Mexico was at Disney this week and has been diagnosed with the flu and we should wear masks while there, NOT gonna happen. We might keep some sanitizer with us but thats about it.

Thighs Be Gone
04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
My heavens...there has ONE diagnosed case in a local elementary school here and they have closed the school the rest of the week! they are now powerwashing the building and playground and sanitizing inside...

DCHound
04-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Well I would take both sources with a grain of salt...I did want to say though that it's the WHO that has risen to threat level four, not the US government. :) I googled it. (FWIW)

MissVitality
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
There are two confirmed cases in a hospital 5 miles from me - a couple who have recently returned from honeymoon in Mexico. 22 people who were in contact with them following their return have been tested - 7 are showing symptoms but test results are yet to be confirmed.

The Scottish Government, whilst urging precautionary measures regarding hygiene and infection control, are trying to calm fears and emphasising "business as usual". I am therefore not overly concerned at this stage.

I am involved in planning my organisation's response should a pandemic be declared, in terms of managing the impact on staff and on service delivery. It is certainly being given high priority - I have had to put my normal work on hold to contribute to this. It raises a lot of issues - practical arrangements, managing staff absence, supporting staff health and wellbeing, appropriate use of available staffing resources etc. It's been a very interesting exercise to be involved in.

LandonsBaby
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM

I'm not a big Gupta fan. Heck, I'd probably listen to someone on Coast to Coast AM first. But as it stands right now I think everyone in the media is out of their tree.

Here in Cincinnati they are now warning us to have food and water stored in case everything shuts down. I think I should have just avoided watching any of this. I hadn't hear anything until today and now I'm just annoyed.

Bumbleberry
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
This is a little silly to bring up, but I've been watching wedding TV shows today (not sure why, slow day -- grey outside) and I really feel for any May brides! :(

chickiegirl
04-28-2009, 07:20 PM
It only goes to 6 and IF it does go to 6 the country will be ordered into a mass quarrentine into our homes untill all the people who have it either die or recover.

Little Moon Rabbit there has never been anything even close to this in modern history. The Hong Cong Flu in 1968 was not near as deadly even though it did kill a lot of people but mostly the elderly and young

I'm sorry flatiron, but I don't know where you're getting you're information from. The 1968 was much more deadly considering 1 million people died and the total for the swine flu right now is a little over 150.

Also, just to be clear, this is what the World Health Organization (who raises the levels) says about Phase 6:

"Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way."

I haven't heard anything about the mass quarrantine you are talking about.

Good to be concerned, but misinformation just helps breed fear.

EZMONEY
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM

If it is true (not yet) I will be getting guys calling me to sleep here!

My heavens...there has ONE diagnosed case in a local elementary school here and they have closed the school the rest of the week! they are now powerwashing the building and playground and sanitizing inside...

One case ...un-confirmed...at Angie's middle school... school today...still open but the custodians are working through the night with disinfectent...?....we do live close to Mexico...

Seriously....a lot of people die from the flu each year...I was shocked when I saw stats years ago....be safe!

flatiron
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM

What a very condensending thing to say.

Coast To Coast does have some strandge guests sometimes but they also have a lot of well known scientists and researchers on the show also.

The guest was Dr. Gary Ridenour M.D who is a mediacl doctor and researcher from Nevada who have been researching the Avian Flu virus and wrote a book about it.

He was VERY knowledgable about Swine and Avain Flu and talked about ways to protect yourself if the unthinkable happens which is that the virus mutates into a more deadly form.

I think I trust him 10X's more than what our government is telling us.

GradPhase
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Yikes Gary-And-Angie!! Let us know how THAT goes! I can't believe the school is still open if we still know so little about how it's spreading.

Fressca
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
This is a little silly to bring up, but I've been watching wedding TV shows today (not sure why, slow day -- grey outside) and I really feel for any May brides! :(

Bumbleberry, we were scheduled to fly to Cancun with a group of friends from Toronto for a wedding on May 14! The flights (Air Transat) have been cancelled, and everything's up in the air (ha ha, no pun intended!). The bride and groom have the option of changing the destination, or changing the date. They've already booked their honeymoon - Italy - for directly after the wedding. Guests who were coming from overseas have flat-out cancelled. If the dates are changed, we likely can't attend: got lots planned for June, July, August. It's a shame.

PrincessLJ
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
It is worrying but I dont think anyone should panic just take precautions like hand sanitizers etc and let it all blow over

Lori259
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I am sick today with my normal cold(I think) From first time of the year using air conditioners on a few hot days last week. My hubby has a cold and my daughter does~So It is kinda panicing me~I have severe asthma so It makes my colds much worse~So I am freaking out. I am in OHIO~And so far I think 1 case had been found in our state but on the other end of the state than where I am.~I have an anxiety disorder also~So I am totally agreeing with the ones that say~the media should quit freaking us out about it~it's honestly scaring the heck outta me! Especially since I just read that a toddler has died in the united states from texas~23 month old~My hearts go out to the family.
My kids are my life.I can not imagine how they are feeling and those in mexico that has lost loved ones~I am so sad for them all also.

misspiggy408
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I live in the bay area - San Jose, CA to be exact - and they have already closed down a highschool here because a student came down with it. And a few cities surrounding mine have reported cases of the swine flu. Being a mother of 2 very young boys, I am FREAKED out. I am giving my house a good scrub down after work, and stocking up and water and such just incase places start shutting down. Better safe than sorry, right ...?

jennsreadytolose
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I am not concerned, I mean it's just like others illnesses and flu viruses. I rarely get sick though. When I first heard about the flesh eating bacteria I walked around like :fr: for quite a while. They said the lady got it just by bumping her knee on a table! This will die down, but really what is putting everyone into panic mode going to do for us all...just my own opinion though :)

NightengaleShane
04-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I am not excessively concerned, as there have been no documented cases in Florida.

As I say that, I realize I may be coming down with a cold and now I'm starting to get paranoid and think it could be swine flu :lol:

I'm terrified to buy any produce from Mexico now.

flatiron
04-29-2009, 05:09 PM

What a very condescending thing to say. LOL! I hope it made you feel better to say that! :D

Granted Coast To Coast does have some strange guests sometimes but they also have a lot of well known scientists and researchers on the show also.

The guest was Dr. Gary Ridenour M.D who is a medical doctor and researchscientist from Nevada who has been researching the Avian Flu virus for a long time and wrote a book about it.

He was VERY knowledgeable about Swine and Avian Flu and talked about what exactly we are looking at ways to protect ourselves if the unthinkable happens which is that the virus mutates into a more deadly form.

I think I trust him 10 times more than what our government is telling us now. :D

Wolf Goddess
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
I think it's all hogwash. The media always hypes things up to the point of sounding like we're in imminent danger. (http://www.dhmo.org/)

cassieroll
04-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not too terribly worried right now.. I'm worried about round 2.

ANOther
04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
What a very condescending thing to say. LOL! I hope it made you feel better to say that! :D

Granted Coast To Coast does have some strange guests sometimes but they also have a lot of well known scientists and researchers on the show also.

The guest was Dr. Gary Ridenour M.D who is a medical doctor and researchscientist from Nevada who has been researching the Avian Flu virus for a long time and wrote a book about it.

He was VERY knowledgeable about Swine and Avian Flu and talked about what exactly we are looking at ways to protect ourselves if the unthinkable happens which is that the virus mutates into a more deadly form.

I think I trust him 10 times more than what our government is telling us now. :D

Well, here's a link to the recap of the Coast to Coast show:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2009/04/27

This is part of what it said:

[Ridenour] estimated there was a 40% chance that the new virus was man-made, and was released either accidentally or intentionally.

Appearing in the latter half of the show, Alex Jones and Stephen Quayle both agreed the new swine virus was not natural. It's a "genetically altered bioweapon," possibly being "beta-tested in the field" to target specific races, Quayle contended. Jones cited experts in the field, pointing toward the virus being designed,

Sounds plenty flakey to me. I'm sorry if I come off as condescending but I kinda pride myself on being rational. And I'd like to know who Jones' "experts" are. Anybody can find an "expert" to back up whatever kooky hypothesis they embrace, treat that expert's knowledge as The Almighty Word of the Lord and anybody who disagrees with it is a heretic looking to be burned @ the stake. See under Autism Wars

flatiron
04-30-2009, 04:04 AM
The World Health Organization raised the threat level to Level 5 today. Only one more level (Level 6) and the government can legally declare martial law, shut down all schools, ban any public gatherings and order mass quarantines etc., etc..

Basically at Level 6 that means Constitutional Rights are non existent if the government so deems.

And if we are eventually ordered to self quarantine ourselves in our homes ... sooner or later EVERYONE has to go out to get food.

Anybody worried yet?

Kim_Star060404
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
The World Health Organization raised the threat level to Level 5 today. Only one more level (Level 6) and the government can legally declare martial law, shut down all schools, ban any public gatherings and order mass quarantines etc., etc..

Basically at Level 6 that means Constitutional Rights are non existent if the government so deems.

And if we are eventually ordered to self quarantine ourselves in our homes ... sooner or later EVERYONE has to go out to get food.

Anybody worried yet?

I'm sorry, but could you link or at least reference your source for this information. I've done quite a bit of searching since reading this and have found nothing but heresay to support this. Level 5 refers to "human to human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region" and level 6 refers to "community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5." (This info here. (http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html)) That hardly seems like a reason to resort to martial law, especially if there is no mandatory government action on phase 5.

grneyedmustang
04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I think it's all hogwash. The media always hypes things up to the point of sounding like we're in imminent danger. (http://www.dhmo.org/)

LMAO @ Dihydrogen monoxide!!!!!

aangel22
04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
I've read somewhere that the 23 month old was actually a Mexican that was brought up to the US for treatment and then passed away.

I am concerned about this! DH is a truck driver and will be in TX this week. Truck drivers going in and out of Mexico concern me. DH interacting with those drivers concern me. We have a 4 yr old and a 7 month old so that concerns me the greatest. If DH gets this from somebody and brings it home...Oh I could go on and on. Maybe I am just paranoid or maybe it is my anxiety (though the citalopram does help with that) but I am just freaking out about this. I don't know what I would do if DH gets it and can't come home or if my boys get it. I wasn't too worried about it since we live in PA, but now I see cases in NJ and NY. We are going to be on vacation very close to NJ this summer so I really hope this will die down a bit by then. It worries me more because of DH being everywhere and can easily get it...:( I work in a pharmacy too so I am always in contact with sick people.

Kim_Star060404
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I've read somewhere that the 23 month old was actually a Mexican that was brought up to the US for treatment and then passed away.

I am concerned about this! DH is a truck driver and will be in TX this week. Truck drivers going in and out of Mexico concern me. DH interacting with those drivers concern me. We have a 4 yr old and a 7 month old so that concerns me the greatest. If DH gets this from somebody and brings it home...Oh I could go on and on. Maybe I am just paranoid or maybe it is my anxiety (though the citalopram does help with that) but I am just freaking out about this. I don't know what I would do if DH gets it and can't come home or if my boys get it. I wasn't too worried about it since we live in PA, but now I see cases in NJ and NY. We are going to be on vacation very close to NJ this summer so I really hope this will die down a bit by then. It worries me more because of DH being everywhere and can easily get it...:(

With your young children, I can certainly understand your concerns. I have to say, though, that I deal with people coming up from Mexico daily (I work in a government office in Texas), and many people in my town commute back and forth daily, and we haven't had a single suspected case, let alone confirmed one. I think the thing for your DH to remember is to be aware, wash his hands, especially after shaking the hands of fellow truck drivers, and maybe eat in his truck while in Texas, rather than in a restaurant with people milling around. I'm sure everything will be fine, but if somehow he does contract it, he will not be able to stay at home a few days, but it wouldn't be anything permanent, just until he gets through the illness.

Bumbleberry
04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
- don't touch your face with your hands
- wash:
Before and after you eat
After you use the bathroom
After you change a diaper
Before and after you cook
After you leave a public space
After you touch public buildings/objects (playground equipment, etc)

- keep away from large, public gatherings
- report symptoms at the FIRST instance (tamiflu has shown to be effective in the first 48 hours of this virus)
- have a little food and water at the ready in case you have to stay home or they shut down your local grocer, etc.
- if you are sick, for goodness sake, stay the heck home please

EZMONEY
04-30-2009, 05:38 PM
- don't touch your face with your hands
- wash:
Before and after you eat
After you use the bathroom
After you change a diaper
Before and after you cook
After you leave a public space
After you touch public buildings/objects (playground equipment, etc)

HEY! I learned that in kindergarten ;)

LandonsBaby
04-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Anybody worried yet?

No. I think you are seriously getting carried away. I'm hearing a lot of things today that are flat out WRONG. I heard someone say thousands have already died in Mexico. Uh, no. I am actually shocked at the stuff I'm reading. Why such fear?

That being said, I try to keep a good deal of food in my home. I have a list to stock my 30 day supply (or more) that I've been working on lately. We have water too.

Bumbleberry
04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
HEY! I learned that in kindergarten ;)

My friend did a chapter topic (at TOPS) on hand washing. I know people who do not wash their hands as much as they should (they are the ones that get sick the most often, too!)

GradPhase
04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
- if you are sick, for goodness sake, stay the heck home please

Amen!

ANOther
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
No. I think you are seriously getting carried away. I'm hearing a lot of things today that are flat out WRONG. I heard someone say thousands have already died in Mexico. Uh, no.

Darn right. I checked the World Health Organization website where they have a daily update. As of today, May 1, there are one hundred and fifty-six confirmed cases of H1N1 in Mexico and NINE deaths. And the US has one hundred and nine confirmed cases and one death. (I write those numbers out so there can be no question!) Of course one is too many, but that number is hardly thousands. As KimStar pointed out, "pandemic" basically means just "confirmed cases in more than one WHO zone or in x number of countries". So take common-sense precautions, wash hands often/use hand sanitizers, stay home from work or school and get thee to a doctor if you're sick (REALLY sick with fever, aches, nausea or diarrhea), cover your mouth when you cough/sneeze, cough/sneeze into your elbow, eat healthy foods and drink plenty of fluids. Speculating about whether this virus comes from an evil scientist in a rogue lab will not accomplish anything. This too shall pass! In six months we'll wonder what all the fuss was about! In the words of FDR, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself! :soap:

iriswhispers
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
It's a concern because it's a new strain of flu that has killed people in Mexico... HOWEVER, so far most cases have been no more severe than the regular seasonal flu. Which, keep in mind, also kills some people each year (usually elderly individuals who are already compromised).

I'm in public health and most people I work with recognize the potential of this to become worse, but also will tell you that at the moment it's no big deal.

EZMONEY
05-02-2009, 11:09 AM
My son called me last night to tell me he just got word the school he and my dil teach at is closing down for two weeks.

Not a happy camper....he is the boys track coach and has to meet the bus this morning and tell all the frosh/soph they will be going back home instead of the frosh/soph championships....his team will have to forfeit their last 2 meets which means (unless the other high schools close too) they will not win league which was almost a given....they will miss the individual league championships which means several of his students will not make state....my dil has to cancel her big show for her dance squad...the big fundraiser for the year....one kid has the flu.

Better safe than sorry?

Personally, I think it is silly to close the school....but what if.....a whole bunch of kids got sick...or God forbid....one or more died....

complicated

ginny
05-03-2009, 05:07 AM
I think I already had it.
Seriously!
I just got over a bizarre flu about a week and a 1/2 ago. Since the symptoms seemed part mild cold and part stomach bug I wrote the whole thing off as "the crud". It seemed like a weird time to get sick but it wasn't so bad so I didn't worry (ok lies, it sucked for about 2 days).

Then, I'm in my 30's, never had a flu shot, and have only ever had flu once. I credit this to a childhood on the farm using animals as pillows, making mudpies, and burying dead things I happened to find. Purell had yet to be invented.

The timing may seem off, but I live by a major airline hub. And I don't think they catch these things until they are well on their way around the world.

With symptoms and timing making sense, I'm going to assume I've had it. Never felt bad enough for the doctor, stayed home and didn't spread it. Really, this whole thing is overblown.

Spazz
05-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh my goodness, this thing is the biggest joke ever. I suppose we should all be happy there isn't something bigger out there to report but the last thing we need is people getting the wrong information and freaking out.

I'm an Animal Science major in college and we had a class about Animal Health. My sorority advisor is the teacher of that class and she has a PhD in animal diseases. She's worked with APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) to test all sorts of birds during the bird flu freak out. She's also gone to England to do testing for another bird-related disease... it's name has left me. Sorry I'm giving you a little history of her life but I figure it's best to explain why I trust her. She's not worried yet, so I figure it's best not to worry either.

Also, I read a news article about how a doctor was saying this was a strain of mutant flu- it contains swine flu, bird flu, and a little bit of the human flu too. Are you kidding me? Dr. Hall says that's highly unlikely because they would have needed to meet in one host and had insane circumstances to allow a molding like that.

I'll start worrying when the swine flu deaths reach regular flu death numbers.

flatiron
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh my goodness, this thing is the biggest joke ever. Also, I read a news article about how a doctor was saying this was a strain of mutant flu- it contains swine flu, bird flu, and a little bit of the human flu too.

Are you kidding me? Dr. Hall says that's highly unlikely because they would have needed to meet in one host and had insane circumstances to allow a molding like that.

I wouldn't quite classify this as a big joke. It was a strain of flu thats never been seen before and it scared a lot of scientists all over the world. As it turned out it was not as bad as they thought. I think what really happened was that we got lucky ... this time.

Also your Dr. Hall I'm sorry but I have heard a dozen doctors and scientists talk about how this is the first strain with mixtures of animal and human virus. Even I understand that it doesn't have to be in all three animals (bird, swine and human) at the same time to mutate.

The virus could have jumped from avain to swine and mutated and then from swine (with avain virus in it) to human and mutate again and then human to human thus having all three mutated viri together in a daisy chain effect.

According to the World Health Organization whom I trust more than any single doctor or scientist, says that a killer flu pandemic is not a matter of IF ... it's a matter of when.

Like I said .. I think we got lucky. The good that came out of all this media hype is that it has raised the public and goverment awareness so that if God forbid something really nasty pops up we'll be ready or at least readier than what we were.

kaplods
05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
We're not really out of the woods yet. We can't consider ouselves lucky until the disease has run it's course. I was watching some medical professionals discuss it one night, and then did some internet searching to confirm, but the flu that killed 20 to 40 million people in 1918/19 (which has been said to be the worst pandemic in recorded history - killing more people than Black Death Bubonic Plague in the middle of the fourteenth century), started out as a flu that was fairly mild in the Spring of 1918, and mutated into the deadly strain that returned in the fall to kill millions.

It's not time to panic, but concern is prudent. The thing is though, that we should always be concerned.

About two weeks ago I got a respiratory flu, and it didn't seem worse than any normal flu. I know that doctors don't really want to give antibiotics or antivirals except in extreme cases. I'm also on medicare, which is unlikely to to approve antiviral medications (I don't have "enough" of a track record of compromised immunity - I do have confirmed immunity issues, but not severe or frequent enough for the bureaucracy of medicare's satisfaction). Regardless, I didn't have any reason to think that I wouldn't recover normally. At it's peak, I did have a fever of 102.5 which is exceedingly rare for me, in fact, a temperature over 98.4 is very unusual for me.

Still, I didn't go in to the walk-in clinic until I'd been sick for 4 days, and by then I had pneumonia (it really only started feeling unusual at about midnight on the 3rd day).

In my case, it's likely that the virus triggered a secondary bacterial infection, because antibiotics have been obviously helpful (I'm on my second course, though). I have immunity and autoimmunity issues, and have scar tissue on my lungs (probably due to the autoimmune disease, worsened by a reaction to NSAIDs that caused asthma symptoms). I wasn't concerned before, but I realize that I am one of the folks at risk, because it was amazing how quickly my symptoms went from manageable, "normal" flu to pneumonia. I knew when it felt like my ribs had been kicked in by a mule, that something wasn't right.

My husband joked to the doctor that maybe I had the swine flu, and the doctor laughed but said "it's entirely possible." Hubby got the same flu the day after we saw the doctor, and his progressed normally and didn't need any intervention. Now, I doubt that we had swine flu, just the "regular" flu, but I do have a new respect for flu viruses, because I now understand how people can die of the flu, especially folks with immunity or other health issues, but also people who seek medical treatment only as a last resort. I never realized how quickly "not too bad, just uncomfortable" can become "can't breathe."

EZMONEY
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
What I don't understand is they have closed the high school my son teaches at, around 2,500 students, because of 1 probable case for 2 weeks. Yet they have asked all the teachers to come and "play" school for that period of time...

so when are teachers not a threat to carry the virus or spread it...

confused