General chatter - Important news about a dangerous chemical in our environment

kiramira
04-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi all!
Found this website dedicated to exposing the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide -- something that all of us are exposed to on a daily basis:
http://www.dhmo.org/
For IMMEDIATE action...
Kira

iriswhispers
04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
You know what that is, right?;)

Heather
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
I use info from that site to illustrate persuasion principles with my social psychology class. I give them a handout with info about dihydrogen monoxide, and lots of skulls and crossbones, and then ask them to sign a petition to reduce the use on campus by 50% over the next 5 years. I make sure the petition is already signed by others (with at least one other faculty signature) and prominently display the names of a faculty member from the chemistry dept.

Every year 2/3 of the students sign to reduce... water! (dihydrogen monoxide = h2o = water)

kiramira
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
OK, so that is COMPLETELY hilarious, ms moderator Heather!
I just cracked up when I read it. Along with the websites decrying tomatoes as a food (everyone who has ever eaten a tomato has DIED!!!!) and ones that urge us to stop that evil force that is attacking children in playgrounds all over the country -- it is invisible, you can't smell it, but it causes THOUSANDS of injuries a year...it is GRAVITY and it MUST be stopped...
Kira

lizziep
04-27-2009, 02:19 AM
i can't believe it's a major component of acid rain and we're doing nothing to stop it!! :D