100 lb. Club - I think I gave my doctor a heart attack

cfmama
04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
My family doctor has not SEEN me since I started losing weight. 105 pounds ago. They KNEW that I had lost it as I had told the secretary when I was making my appointment for my pap test and to get benchmarked for reconstructive surgery later on.

I walk in, Adina (the nurse) says OH MY GOD!!!!! And YELLS ... "Dan! Get out here and see our girl!!!!" It was hilarious!!! He just grinned and grinned from ear to ear. We spent about 45 minutes after my pap test just talking about weight loss and I showed him my journal and he told ME how proud he was. It was such a wonderful wonderful day. *grins*

I'm not doing this for the praise... but to hear that from you doctor? It sure helps ;)

So he's doing a complete nutritional panel on me to make sure I'm all good. My blood pressure was 120/70 and he says I "look awesome."

*giggle*

time2lose
04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
I understand. I can't wait to show my doctor but, to be honest, in part that is because he did not think that I could lose weight without surgery.

Please explain to get benchmarked for reconstructive surgery later on.

Is that to have loose skin removed? I am wondering if I should do something that that also.

Kae
04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
That's awesome! I'm sure it made your day! ...Keep up the great work.

Smiling_Sara
04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
that is so awesome!! When I went to my doc last, after I lost 70 pounds, IF my doctor noticed, she didn't say anything. My guess is she just didn't notice cause she's so busy ( or that is what my hope is...lol )

again....awesome to hear that from your doc. you're awesome!!

GirlyGirlSebas
04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Wow! What a rush that must have been!

JayEll
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
It is GREAT when your doctor reacts in such a positive way! I remember when mine did, but not nearly over the loss you've accomplished. It was still wonderful to hear.

Congratulations on the BP!

Jay

Thighs Be Gone
04-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, CFmomma--I guess you have turned into HAWT momma...that is great news and a great nonscale victory!! I have told you before but I just so love reading your posts and hearing about your journey. This is truly something to celebrate. You enthusiasm is overwhelming and your positive NRG comes through loud and clear. I am so happy for you. You are rockin' it.

So, what is your goal activity or outfit once you hit 150. It is right around the corner for you the way you are going, ya know?

DCHound
04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
That is so cool.

MugCanDoIt
04-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Thats wonderful. I bet you must have felt awesome. Just think when they see you next yr!!!!!!!

Thighs Be Gone
04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
It's odd you bring this up today. I am gonna FESS up here and admit I have not had a pap smear in 5 years. I have had a full physical a couple of months back though and have had been to my dentist. It is part of my process and journey really. I have neglected my health and teeth for so long!

Anyhoo, you have convinced me to get in to see my OB next week. Thx.

nik1305
04-24-2009, 05:57 PM
ahhh that's so exciting! I'm so thrilled for you! I love reading things like this, it gets me excited to one day get reactions like that! haha

cfmama
04-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I understand. I can't wait to show my doctor but, to be honest, in part that is because he did not think that I could lose weight without surgery.

Please explain

Is that to have loose skin removed? I am wondering if I should do something that that also.

Yep! Because I live in Canada he figures if we take measurements and such now, document every stage (he wants me to come in every 3 months from now on) that it will be much easier to get medical to pay for my surgeries after. At the very least I'll NEED an arm life and lower body lift. I'd LIKE my breasts done as well ;)

cfmama
04-24-2009, 06:11 PM
It's odd you bring this up today. I am gonna FESS up here and admit I have not had a pap smear in 5 years. I have had a full physical a couple of months back though and have had been to my dentist. It is part of my process and journey really. I have neglected my health and teeth for so long!

Honestly? First pap test since my son was born almost three years ago. Yep it's time for us to start taking care of these bodies!!!! I'm glad you made a pap test. I'm proud of you :)

rockinrobin
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
My family doctor has not SEEN me since I started losing weight. 105 pounds ago. They KNEW that I had lost it as I had told the secretary when I was making my appointment for my pap test and to get benchmarked for reconstructive surgery later on.

I walk in, Adina (the nurse) says OH MY GOD!!!!! And YELLS ... "Dan! Get out here and see our girl!!!!" It was hilarious!!! He just grinned and grinned from ear to ear. We spent about 45 minutes after my pap test just talking about weight loss and I showed him my journal and he told ME how proud he was. It was such a wonderful wonderful day. *grins*

I'm not doing this for the praise... but to hear that from you doctor? It sure helps ;)

So he's doing a complete nutritional panel on me to make sure I'm all good. My blood pressure was 120/70 and he says I "look awesome."

*giggle*

You look awesome. You ARE awesome. Losing weight- it's AWESOME!!! The rewards - so incredibly awesome. I just know there are going to be tons and tons of more wonderful and awesome days for you. :smug:

Rosinante
04-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Congratulations, what a treat!

barefootnikki
04-24-2009, 07:13 PM
This brought tears to my eyes! It's soooo awesome that your Doc can see and appreciate all your hard work.
That would be great to have your surgeries covered. I do NOT think something like that is *elective* surgery, that skin will just have to go :)
Congrats!

SnowboundChick
04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
That's pretty cool! I just went last week and got the whole lecture type talk. I finally told her I had been working on it since November and she changed her tune. That so great for you! Glad it was a nice visit.

Getting Right
04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
That's great!

Bikini Ready
04-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Way to go! You are a great motivation!

Sandi
04-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh, how cool!!

Lyn2007
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Wonderful!! You're an inspiration and it is so exciting to watch you "grow"!

BarbPA
04-24-2009, 11:23 PM
That's Fabulous!!! :D

zinkemomx2
04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Great job.

I just went in for my yearly pap and had them check my cholesterol. Four years ago it was 202. It is down to 149!

midwife
04-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Woohoo!!! :carrot:

jtammy
04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Isn't that a great feeling! :bravo:

Jennelle
04-25-2009, 02:58 AM

uh-oh...time for me to get on my :soap:

Ladies, those yearly visits are SO important, especially after 35. If you're not getting your Pap done, then you're probably not getting mammograms, either. PLEASE, if you are over 40 (or over 35 with a family history) GET A YEARLY MAMMO! My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in November. The doctors estimate she had her cancer for FIVE YEARS before it was caught. Had she gone for regular mammos, it would have been caught way before it metastatized to her spine and lungs.

There is no reason to be shy, embarrassed, whatever. Yeah, Paps are uncomfortable, and yeah, mammos can be a little uncomfortable, but I guarantee you that Mom would take a booby squish over radiation sickness and a bald head any day.

stepping off my :soap:

rockinrobin
04-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Ladies, those yearly visits are SO important, especially after 35. If you're not getting your Pap done, then you're probably not getting mammograms, either. PLEASE, if you are over 40 (or over 35 with a family history) GET A YEARLY MAMMO! My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in November. The doctors estimate she had her cancer for FIVE YEARS before it was caught. Had she gone for regular mammos, it would have been caught way before it metastatized to her spine and lungs.

There is no reason to be shy, embarrassed, whatever. Yeah, Paps are uncomfortable, and yeah, mammos can be a little uncomfortable, but I guarantee you that Mom would take a booby squish over radiation sickness and a bald head any day.

Yes, those gyn visits are so important. I too avoided them like the plague for years at a time when I was overweight. Now I go regularly. Avoiding those visits, like avoiding eating properly and responsibly and exercising, was just another way that I neglected myself. I would never go years and years on end without taking my children to the doctor, not sure why I didn't feel the same way about their mother. *ME*.

I just went this past Wednesday actually and had a great experience, similar to that of cfmama's. The nurse recorded my weight on my chart. Started to look like she needed some air, eyes got glazed over, she got very silent. I'm like "what's wrong, what's wrong?". She said "Am I reading this correctly, have you lost 165 lbs?". She just went on and on and on with praise and then the ensuing how did you do it questions. After being on BP meds, have been off of them for almost 2 years now, it measured 110 over 70, my lowest ever. Then the actual doctor comes in and get this, she tells me my arms look like Jennifer Anniston's. They don't. But it surely felt good to hear anyway. :)

And believe it or not, the pap smear took seconds. And was totally painless. Anticipation of it was waaaay worse then the actual event, as is so often the case.

And yes, next up a Mammo and a breast sonogram. My mother is a breast cancer survivor.

Jenelle, all the best to your mom. I'll be pulling for her. :hug:

mj5
04-25-2009, 08:28 AM
cfmama--That is SO awesome!!! Congrats!

Jenelle--I'll get right up on that soap box with you! Exams are super important. Not fun, over quickly and then you are all set for a whole year! LOL!

I try to take the day off from work and go shopping afterwards....a little treat to me for taking care of myself!

kittycat40
04-25-2009, 08:32 AM
cfmama- Thank you for posting this thread. As bright as the doctor made your day is as uplifted we all feel when reading your post. I think the grins are stretching from country to country!! :):):)

and one more :)

lottie63
04-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Oh wow, congrats! That's gotta feel fab. I never see the same doc twice (which is weird) so I will never have that. booo! But go you!

WhitePicketFences
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, I'm on the shame train, too ... but I'm going to make an appointment soon.

thinpossible
04-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow that is so great! I hope the same thing happens to me someday!

diary
04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
me too! I cannot wait to surprise my MD - and the network when they do my wellness screening this summer!

Eileen2bLean
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
This was so much fun to read! Thanks so much for allowing all of us to live through you vicariously!!!

Yes - someday my doctor will have that kind of reaction for me - if she even remembers me, LOL!

:o

Ilene
04-25-2009, 07:40 PM
CONGRATS TO YOU!! You've worked very hard, I've seen your progress, and for your doctor to be so proud of you, that's the icing on the cake, so to speak :lol:

teahoney
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Great story and a serious reminder that I need to get my insurance in order so that I can see the doctor myself.

time2lose
04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
CFmama originally posted - Yep! Because I live in Canada he figures if we take measurements and such now, document every stage (he wants me to come in every 3 months from now on) that it will be much easier to get medical to pay for my surgeries after. At the very least I'll NEED an arm life and lower body lift. I'd LIKE my breasts done as well

How cool!

cfmama
04-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Yah I'm pretty stoked. I know lots of people live happily with the extra skin but I don't think I would be happy toting it around. After losing 225 lbs I'm going to have a LOT of extra skin (I have lots of loose skin on my thighs, arms and breasts already.) I want my body to look like what I feel inside. Youthful, vibrant and extra sexy.

He wants me to take it all off, maintain for a year and see what my skin does and then he'll refer me to a good plastic surgeon. It's a little weird but I'm excited about it already!!!

GirlyGirlSebas
04-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I think that is very exciting! I want to get my extra skin removed, too. Of course, as an American, I will have the privilege of paying for that myself. :(

Jen415
04-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Tammy, that must have been an awesome moment! I want one of those myself!

And I'm another one on the soap box for yearly GYN health evaluations. A few seconds of discomfort is a great tradeoff for knowing where I stand healthwise....