South Beach Diet - How long were you on the unofficial "Phase 1.5"?

262mom2three
04-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I am nearing the end of Phase 1 (again) and am preparing myself for Phase 1.5. I am really afraid to go right into Phase 2 with all of that freedom, so onto "1.5". How long did you stay on it and still feel good? I know for Phase 2 there is a reason for the 3 servings of each, as the body is now deprived...just wondering how long I can go on Ph 1.5 without completely depriving my body of the benefits of the good carbs. I feel great on Ph1 and am really pushing myself to start the new phase. TIA!

mizski
04-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I know for Phase 2 there is a reason for the 3 servings of each, as the body is now deprived...just wondering how long I can go on Ph 1.5 without completely depriving my body of the benefits of the good carbs.

Phase 2 recommends 1-3 grains/starches & 1-3 fruits per day. PH2 re-introduces these two food groups with the suggestion to begin with one of each to see how your body responds. Some people stick with just the one and others find 2 or 3 servings of each or both group still results in continual weight loss.

PH1.5 in an unofficial phase that many who are in the one grain/one fruit most days have coined. I am in that group and have been on PH1.5 since Nov2008. Most days I have one fruit and one grain and occasionally, I will have more. It is what works best with MY body. YMMV :)

Also, PH1 does not completely deprive your body of good carbs. Remember, you are getting good carbs in veggies, dairy and your beans/legumes. It's just that you get more carbs in PH2 with carb-dense grains/starches and the sugar in fruits.

I would suggest moving on to PH2 with just one serving of grains/starches and fruits for a week or two and then try adding an additional serving of each and see how your body responds. Personally, being able to have my steel-cut oats or slice of whole-grain bread made a HUGE difference in being able to stick with the diet. The fruit...well, I eat it because I should. :p

SBD Sass
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I only did 1.5 for two weeks.

CyndiM
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Wow, great picture Sass! Nice muscles :strong:

Celtic mom
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I have another week of Phase 1 and then I'm pretty sure I will be in Phase 1.5 for awhile. I have started and done Phase 1 several times this winter and as soon as I get into Phase 2 I lose all control. So I have told myself :dizzy: that this time I will go very slowly and stick to it!!!!! :crossed:

SBD Sass
04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Wow, great picture Sass! Nice muscles :strong:

Thanks Cyndi! Trying to catch up with you in the exercise game. You've got me beat!. I need to post a pic of me flexing. I've got gunz now! :D Hard work...sweat and a whole lot of tears and burning...it's so worth it! :carrot:

KO
04-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Sass! OMg I'm totally inspired to go home and build some muscle!! You're Awesome! and Almost Married!!

SBD Sass
04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
So for high jackin' this thread! :(

Sass! OMg I'm totally inspired to go home and build some muscle!! You're Awesome! and Almost Married!!

Thanks! I'm such a cheese puff...I posted a pic of my gunz in the April Exercise Challenge thread just now! Ha! Yep, we're getting hitched very soon!

262mom2three
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Phase 2 recommends 1-3 grains/starches & 1-3 fruits per day. PH2 re-introduces these two food groups with the suggestion to begin with one of each to see how your body responds. Some people stick with just the one and others find 2 or 3 servings of each or both group still results in continual weight loss.

PH1.5 in an unofficial phase that many who are in the one grain/one fruit most days have coined. I am in that group and have been on PH1.5 since Nov2008. Most days I have one fruit and one grain and occasionally, I will have more. It is what works best with MY body. YMMV :)

Also, PH1 does not completely deprive your body of good carbs. Remember, you are getting good carbs in veggies, dairy and your beans/legumes. It's just that you get more carbs in PH2 with carb-dense grains/starches and the sugar in fruits.

I would suggest moving on to PH2 with just one serving of grains/starches and fruits for a week or two and then try adding an additional serving of each and see how your body responds. Personally, being able to have my steel-cut oats or slice of whole-grain bread made a HUGE difference in being able to stick with the diet. The fruit...well, I eat it because I should. :p

Thank you so much!! I am just looking forward to my steel cut oats, too. I can really take or leave the fruit b/c I am afraid that it'll tempt me back into chocolate and my other downfalls. We shall see... I have 4 more days of Ph1 and then we'll see how I do. I just do not want to fail again.

Thanks!

baristamon
04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
some people can work up the 3 servings of each within a few months and still lose. I know i never made it past 2 of each, and had to cut back to only doing that a few days per week to still be able to lose. 1-2 servings of each works best for me, but you'll just have to experiment to see how your body reacts.

murphmitch
04-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I maintain on 2-3 grains and 1-2 fruits, so Phase II for me was 1-2 grains and 1 fruit. Phase 1.5 was 1 grain first week, then 1 grain and 1 fruit.

Celtic mom
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Murph - I am the same way! If I do too many grains I feel really bloated and don't lose, so I stick to 1 or 2 during Phase 2, and 1-2 fruits. I love bread/cereal/grain in the morning, so I am kind of stuck the rest of the day.