Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/168/105

Height: 5'0

Default Exercise Help!

I need help!! I am wondering what exercise regime has worked for others. I want to get myself on track more and I need advice. If you are losing weight steady please tell me what you are doing and how long you are doing it for each day. What has brought you the best results. Thanks so much!
jillpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #2  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

i do go to the gym every day. I do 3.1 miles (5K) as a warm up. Then do other cardio. Every other day i do weights for 30 mins.

monday - 5K + weights
tuesday - 5k + 30 mins on another cardio machine
wed - 5K + weights
Thursday - 5k + 30 mins on another cardio machine
Fri - 5K + weights
Sat - 5k + 30 mins on another cardio machine
Sun - 5K + weights

Exercising is not the only thing that matters though. My husband goes to the gym every other day. Its been a month and he hasnt lost any weight. I lost about 10 lbs. Its what you eat as well metters. SO combine healthy food in moderate portions plus exercise and you will see results.

And when I do exercise i do my VERY best. Every 30 mins i go change closthes because my pants would be soaking wet... (i sweat alot in undewear area for some reason).

Last edited by unwanted37lbs; 04-23-2009 at 12:17 AM.
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 AM   #3  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Food is 80%, exercise is 20%. I am loving exercising. I can tell you what I do, what is important to me - it may work but really it's about what makes you comfortable.

I have learned to love the gym. I found a gym that has fantastic equipment, classes, variety of hours, classes and a very positive atmosphere.

Ensure you know how to use the equipment and correct form. If you can, invest in a trainer to help you - it's an expense that I have never regretted and has been instrumental for me.

I plan out my sessions in a small book that I take with me to the gym. I track all the exercises, how many reps/sets and weight used. I change the program every 3 weeks to shock my body before it gets too used to the program. It's good to see that I increased my reps, sets and/or weights - and is a great sense of empowerment to keep going.

For my body type (pear), I need to do quite a bit of cardio. I don't like cardio (I prefer weights) so I warm up with about 30 min on the elliptical with interval training - 1 min go super hard, 1 min a bit slower, then 1 min forward, 1 min backward, etc - always switching it up. Then I work on weights. I do chest, arms and abs (1 X per week), complete lower body (2 X per week), back, arms and shoulders (1 X per week) and then one day with a full body program. I end with another 20-30 min of cardio.

Not sure if that helped, but key things - plan for your exercise, track it and change it up whether you are working at the gym or at home
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I think the most important thing is to find something that you like to do, at a time that works for your schedule, and stick with it consistently. Whatever that is, and whenever it works. The well-rounded exercise program is one that works everything -- cardio, strength, flexibility and balance. If your current program is lacking one of these elements, it might help you to add that in.

My exercise program has evolved over the years. When I first started, from couch potato, I committed to myself to get to the gym and take a one-hour class at least twice per week. I was shooting for 3 times, but promised myself I'd make it at least twice. Over time, I started running and gradually went from working out 2 times a week to pretty much every day, for at least an hour. 4 days are running days (average 25 miles per week) and on 3 days I take classes (body sculpting, step aerobics, yoga/pilates). Lately, I've been trying to lose a few stubborn pounds (gained during marathon training season!), so have added swimming a couple of days per week and extra walking some evenings. I like to kayak, and get out for several hours a couple of times per month. I really enjoy all of the activity, it's fun, and not a chore. But it has been an evolutionary process.

So for me -- what works has changed over time. Every time I hit a plateau or felt I'm getting stale, I mixed things up. Either I start something new, or increase intensity, or sign up for an event of some kind to train for. I'm easily bored, and need new challenges on a regular basis to keep me motivated. Fortunately there's lots of opportunity around for that.

I agree with the other posters -- managing the intake side of the equation is more important to weight loss than the exercise, because you can only burn off so much! But, exercise is a critical component for my weight loss and maintenance success.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote