South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #1  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Default Need better numbers

Hi everybody. I haven't been around for a while cuz I wasn't doing SBD. I have lost weight really good on just eating less food, however, had a doctor appointment yesterday and my numbers just are not good. Kind of depressing and I just have been trying to figure out how to do SBD somehow revised, which really means not giving anything up and keep doing what I'm doing!!!

Haven't decided my start day yet as I need some legal foods and I haven't done SBD since the new book. Has much changed or could I figure out the revisions by reading FAQ? Any help would be appreciated.

Definitely need to lose some more weight but this time I am doing it for the hidden reasons (those dang numbers.)
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

back, Bunna. You can probably do OK reading the FAQ - there are several food list changes.
What are the "numbers"? Blood sugar? Cholesterol? This healthy lifestyle can fix almost anything.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #3  
Bunnababy

Hi Ruth. My cholestrol, trig., blood pressure are high, and I am insulin resistant. All of these problems are leading to a heart issue which at this point the doc says can correct itself if we get the numbers under control. It was especially hard to hear the numbers were going up when my weight is going down. Obviously, my choices haven't been so good.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Well, Bunna, other than the insulin resistance, you could probably get by with avoiding the bad fats and incorporating the good ones, but with the insulin resistance, you really do need to give up the sugar. Perhaps you could try the food pyramid guidelines (which are close to SBD, but without totally giving up sugar) or the SBD-like version of WW, which is more about portion size than giving up whole categories of food, and see how that goes with your numbers?

Taking care of your health is so important!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

IR can lead to Type II diabetes which I have so it's not only eliminating sugar but reducing white carbs as well. South Beach works for this because you are eating the good carbs.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #6  
Bunnababy

Thanks for the welcome back. I can do this I just need to wrap my head around the idea that doing this is important. Like I was telling someone else high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and high cholestrol are hidden dangers unlike the gallbladder attack which caused immediate severe pain, those linger and cause a lot of damage before they become obvious physically, other than testing.

Laurie: I was on WW and that is how I lost the weight. It is a good solid program too.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Bunna!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I used to do WW, but it wasn't helping my cholesterol either. After 6 months of South Beach my cholesterol dropped 30 points. I have to give credit to the elimination of bad carbs and sugar and incorporating the good fats - nuts & olive oil (stuff I avoided when counting points).
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

There are quite a few people who do a SBD/WW combo. I'm not up on WW, but I think they have a program that is very SBD-like in its choices. Right?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #10  
Bunnababy

Laurie: They used to but they intigrated (sp) their programs in to one. It used to be called Core.

Thanks for all the help guys.