The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - TBL Season 7 Show Discussion Thread Part 2 **SPOILERS**

mandalinn82
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Ya'll are so chatty that we need a new thread! Continue your discussion of Biggest Loser Season 7 here!

mamaspank
04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I am not sure what will fly on this discussion, but I wished Helen would have gone home. I have just sort of been disgusted that she sent her daughter home instead of herself.

trekkiegirl
04-22-2009, 06:17 PM
How does Mike saying he's going to win make him any different than Ali Vincent walking out of the elimination room in Season 5, telling everybody she was going to "be the next Biggest loser"? Ali's been repeatedly interviewed saying how she visualized that she was going to win, she knew it. It's a game, everybody's shown bravado at some point, Kristin included. I thought her remarks to Mike at the end were uncalled for and hypocritical. She would have eliminated him in a heartbeat, using the same words Mike used and the same words she herself used when she got rid of Dane and Mandi weeks earlier...she would have to do what's best for herself. If Mike is a "coward" for voting her off, what does that make her for all the tougher competitors she voted off to save herself?

Ugh...I hate when the contestants get sanctimonious about someone else's gameplaying and conveniently forget or justify their own. Admittedly, Kristin as frequent commentator has not been one of my favorite things. I also don't buy into her as a motivational speaker for weight loss, because her words and actions don't gel:

1. She says "If I can do this anyone can." She didn't do it until she ended up on TBL with a trainer working out 6 hours a day in a controlled environment. Anybody want at-home-motivation, ask Nicole.
2. Her weight loss tanked when the routine of the show was disrupted (i.e., the week home, the makeover, etc.). What has she learned beyond being dependent on Bob Harper?
3. She was still pretty clueless 4 months later about nutrition.
4. She talks about being able to do it at home then claims she needs to stay on the ranch.
5. Her comments to Mike were the remarks of a sore loser. Saying stuff like "coward" and "be a man" is not motivational. She needs to get over herself.

mygritsconfessions
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I too wish Helen would have gone home. I haven't been a fan of hers since she sent her daughter home. When she went home that week, they showed her daughter and she still looked fairly heavy. Very sad. I thought Kristen's remarks were directed at Mike, but the remarks after that were for Ron, his father. I think she knew he manipulated his son somewhat. I don't know. All my favorites have gone home......I need to find a new one I guess.

me4life
04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
i think helen is still there cause she is getting to the bottom of what she'll lose and isn't a threat to anyone there. although personally i think her true self shows every now and then like when she said she would kill filipe and then had to bite her tongue....she is trying to be everyones friend to stay in the game.

MariaMaria
04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Helen's daughter is an adult. It's not as if Helen's messing up a 10-year-old.

nbrown7384
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM

No but she already messed her up as a 10-year old.

Hun.e.B
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM

AMEN!!! Thank you for pointing that out. I find it so funny that everyone is going on and on about how selfish and vain Helen is yet Tara is just so great. That girl is so arrogant and vain its disgusting. And I'm so glad that Jillian puts her in her place and calls her on her selfishness.

Helen needed to put herself first for once. The daughter didnt even want to be there, she wanted to go home.

Ron isnt in this for weightloss which is a shame because it seems like Mike is, I think Mike would be totally different if not for the influence of his father. I do really hope those 2 can help the younger brother though.

sportmom
04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Too bad I can't quote from the last thread. But it was mentioned that Kristin didn't lose bc she didn't eat enough. Funny that while we hear that alot, Jillian and BOb both freaked out a few weeks ago when some people used that as an excuse for not losing much - perhaps at home? Jillian flipped out and said that is all a bunch of crap - she said if you don't eat you will lose weight. You will also lose muscle, but yes, you will lose weight. You don't want to do it that way, it's self-destructive. It's straight math. If you worked too hard and didn't eat enough, it wouldn't make you stop losing weight. Otherwise - there would be no underweight people in Africa and other poor countries, right?

GirlyGirlSebas
04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I love Helen. She is a mature wife and Mom who is succeeding at losing a large amount of weight, getting healthy, becoming a runner and looking hot! I want to be like her when I grow up. And, I love Tara. That girl is just a powerhouse! Not only is she physically strong, but she is mentally strong as she doesn't lose her focus during the challenges. But, after last night, I realize that Kristen and I are so much alike. Some of the things she said last night are my exact thoughts. It was uncanny to me to hear what she was saying about being afraid to voice her dreams because they would then be snatched away from her. I fight this negative thinking constantly.

My husband was telling me about something he read concerning the Amazing Race and how the producers "label" the racers and edit the show so that you don't see the racers as anything other than what they want you to see. The fighting couple is nothing more than the fighting couple. The shallow pretty ladies are nothing more. The gay men are nothing more. I have to think that the same things go on with BL. Afterall,we see 60 minutes of 7 or more days. Helen may be a warm and loving Mom to all. Tara may be a loyal and uplifting friend to all. Who knows? Ron? I don't know. He did say one thing to Kristen then another totally different thing to Mike. That would be some excellent editing to produce tha one.

beautybooty
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
It is true that we see whatever the producers want us to see, but that doesn't mean that everything is taken out of context. We do get to see, to an extent who people are, we just may not be seeing ALL of who they are.

What bothered me about Ron is that while he technically only promised he wouldn't vote her off, he did keep going on about how he told her mom he'd take care of her. He gave her a false sense of security. I wouldn't have seen this as so dubious if he hadn't starting pulling this crap so long ago.

All of my favorites have gone home now and it's down to Tara and Filipe for me. And that's just because I see them as the lesser evils. The vindictive part of me wants to see Ron and Mike go below the yellow line and see Mike go home. Not 'cause I want Mike to suffer, but because I want Ron to see what it really feels like to have people stab you in the back like that. If he would just be honest to everyone, tell them, "Hey, if you are in my son's way... screw you!" I would be much happier. And while he does that to a degree, he still has/had people who thought they could count on him, something he should have corrected them on.

junebug41
04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I like Tara. I didn't at first, but I'm definitely pulling for her. She just plays the game with everything she has. She's not very manipulative or much of a gameplayer because she doesn't have to be. She just knows how to give all she has to whatever she's faced with and I have to say, I wish I was more like that.

mamaspank
04-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Being a mom, I know that if my kid was heavy, I would put them there ahead of me no matter what. I think what Ron is doing for Mike is what I would do for my child. Helen totally put herself first before her child, and I don't think that there is ever a time in a parent's life when they should put themselves ahead of their child. It seems unnatural. As far as Mike confronting his father, sort of sounded like crap. It doesn't look like he had the best genes from either side as far as being "naturally thin." His mom had to work at it, and so does his father. My parents were both smokers and my mother was morbidly obese for most of my life. If anything, I have always leaned toward being healthy because of their bad habits.

MindiV
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
If he would just be honest to everyone, tell them, "Hey, if you are in my son's way... screw you!" I would be much happier. And while he does that to a degree, he still has/had people who thought they could count on him, something he should have corrected them on.

You nailed it right there....that's my whole problem with Ron. He sat and told Kristin that he had promised to make sure Mike and Kristin made it to the end. I even rewound it and listened again to that....then he went and plotted with Mike to get rid of her without getting any blood on his hands.

Mike was at least honest about his reasons for voting her out. That I can respect. I respect honesty...Ron's honesty is a little questionable.

angeline
04-23-2009, 10:18 AM
well, it's been a while since i've posted. too much going on, i guess.

1) i'm so ready for helen to leave {whine, whine, whine} {sniffle} please don't vote me off because I STILL NEED TO BE HERE {sniffle} really? you still need to be here - what are ya weighing now? in the 160's? you're all going home in another week!!! ugh. what a feeble, empty argument. Her only saving grace in my mind, is that she has no chance of being TBL.

2) yeah, i, too, wanted ron gone weeks ago. he is the ultimate game player and i have to give him a lot of credit for that. even he and mike going on separate teams was part of their strategy. if they both stayed blue with bob, then black would've gunned for one of them. by splitting up, mike became a black team member and thereby had protection from black members and his dad and other past blue team members still liked him. really, really smart move!

i also think there's a reality show in the making with his younger brother. ron and mike help younger brother lose the weight...especially if mike turns out to be this year's TBL.

3) kristen. i was A LITTLE bummed to see kristen below the yellow line - AND THEN SHE OPENED UP HER BIG MOUTH. i would've voted her butt outta there too. i mean, come on. two weeks in a row below the yellow line...she KNEW she dodged a bullet the first week and was so thrilled to have been kept in the game. and then she falls below the yellow line the second week in a row and she immediately starts this stuff about mike being a coward if he votes her off and he should face her head on - HELLO???? come out from under your rock. he has faced you head on for these last 16 weeks!!! you fell below the yellow line. helen is no threat to mike. kristen was the biggest threat - she's outta here. not even a tough decision. and the added mafiaoso (hushed) conversation between ron and mike only made for good TV.

i love, love, love seeing tara's before and after shots. i can't even see the same "after" person living in her "before" body. her face is so round, her body is so round. it's amazing!!!

i really hope mike's comments in the elimination room about becoming the next BL fuels tara. i want it to be a race between the two of them! i don't even care who wins.

krjpy
04-23-2009, 11:04 AM
i really hope mike's comments in the elimination room about becoming the next BL fuels tara. i want it to be a race between the two of them! i don't even care who wins.

Right On!

I believe right now that they are 1 and 2 in the percentage standings, with less than 1% separating them (Tara followed by Mike). Helen is not too far behind them, but I don't think she has that much more to lose and with the massive amounts that Mike has still to loss (in comparison to Helen and Tara). I think if he can keep it up at home, he is going to be tough to beat, but if anyone can do it, I would lay some money on Tara. That is one tough lady when she puts her mind to it. She falls down and gets whiney once in a while, but after a short butt kicking, she gets back on her feet.

I loved that Jillian said to embrace that everyone sees you as a threat. It really is something to embrace to realize that you not only seem that strong to other people, but really are that strong.

I would love to see either one of the win. I stand behind Bob and Jillian's mantra. To win this game, you just have to stay above the Yellow line. They have done the best at doing that.

Mike has been the highest percentage 4 times (only 1 time with his father, the other 3 on his own).
Tara has been the highest percentage 4 times (2 times with Laura and 2 times on her own)
Filipe has only made it 1 time and that was with Sione.
Ron has only made it 1 time with Mike (First Week)
Helen has been it 2 times.
Kristen NEVER was the highest percentage.

This has to tell you something. Your strongest 2 are your #1 and #2 on the percentage lost board and they are still there. Tara has never been below the yellow line (she had a couple close calls and a time or 2 that is helped to have immunity from elimination), and Mike was only below it once with his father in Week 4.

They are strong I think either one of them deserves to win.

mizski
04-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Kristen and her hair...did anyone notice that she striped it up again after she got home? Not as bad as before her makeover but geez. I'm not trying to be petty about the hair thing but earlier in the season I was amazed that all the women in her family had the same striped hair.

Fast forward to that motivational meeting and as they panned around the room...almost all the women had striped hair or at least pretty funky styles. I guess I've never seen a town where striped hair was in. :dizzy:

p.s. I really thought that Kristen was going to win and that would explain the zillion commentaries by her. Now that that theories shot :lol: I'm thinking maybe Tara? Mike is a contender though and it will be interesting to see how Godfather Ron plays out the next couple weeks.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
almost all the women had striped hair or at least pretty funky styles. I guess I've never seen a town where striped hair was in. :dizzy: Oh yeah. In my little town, most of the women have very blond highlights and reverse bobs with very long french manicured nails and tons of eye-makeup. Sometimes, I feel like the fuddy duddy!:lol:

trekkiegirl
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Jay Kruger from Season 5 posted pictures up on Facebook of him and Mark at the ranch with the 5 remaining contestants. Curtis and Mallory were in some shots with the brothers, too. I wonder if we'll get to see these guys on the show next week.

Anyway, the "vets" look great. And Mark is still hot. :cool: :lol:

I came across an interview with Kristin online where she acknowledges nobody's to blame for sending her home and she did fall below the yellow line. She also mentioned that it was her TOM.

If both Mike & Tara make it to the finale, I def think the contest will be between the two of them. They're so close in percentage lost. Mike can still lose a lot and Tara may lose it from sheer determination. I do give the edge to Mike, though. I think it'll be easier for him to lose more. I'd be happy if either one wins.

Helen is a little behind them but she has little left to lose so I don't think she'd be able to keep up. Felipe is further behind and I also think he can't reach their level in 2 months at home. Ditto Ron...although I think he can reach a high level of weight loss, it ain't going to happen in 2 months...and if he was in the finale with Mike, he would purposely slow it down even more so as not to surpass his son.

angeline
04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
I just wonder how difficult will it be for Mike to continue at home? Will he be able to maintain his healthy habits?

SweetScrumptious
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but I'll give it a go..

Remember Dane? When after he got voted off, it showed him a couple months later running a half marathon? Well, I read a couple days ago in a magazine that he cheated on that.

Apparently, some runners saw him and his wife stop, and then the producers picked them up in a van and drove them a few miles and dropped them off to finish the race. I guess the wife spoke up and apologized... said something about that they stopped to take pictures and film so "lost time" so the producers drove them 3 miles to make up for it... I guess they apologized for "deceiving" their viewers? I'll see if I can find an online article....

Found one: http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/02/the-biggest-los.html

sportmom
04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Sweet, the show thread prior to this one is full of this story as it was happening. You can go back and read all the juicy details that we discussed as the story was unfolding. Welcome to the thread!! We are most active on Tuesday nites into Wednesday, so check back then!

KEmery08
04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
So, obviously it's not a Tuesday or Wednesday, & I am new here ...

I really, really want Tara to win. Mostly because she's a powerhouse & I don't think anyone has worked as hard as she has. She's so determined. But also because she has made me realize what I want to do. When she cried that very first day at the ranch ... I cried with her. I know how she feels, or at least I feel like I relate to her the most.

It will be interesting to see how tomorrow plays out ...

MotoMichelle
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
I'd like Tara to win too. If not Tara then Mike.

zinkemomx2
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I like the new 30 day twist.

Tara is a machine!

trekkiegirl
04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
It's amazing they all lost as much as they did this week. I mean, those numbers were big for everybody.

I was nervous for Mike when I saw Filipe's 10 pounds. But then he started talking about how scared he was that he was going to fall below and I thought, okay, he's not falling. They tend to edit it so that the when the contestants say stuff like that they usually end up not falling, lol. :p

Anybody notice that Felipe's wife's name went from Levila (on previous shows) to Olivia (at the start of the update) and back to Levila near the end of the update? :dizzy:

Well, Bob's team self-destructed. Pretty much sealed their fate when they voted off Dane and followed the pattern by voting off Mandi. They prematurely voted off the better competitors (wonder if Kristin and Felipe would call that cowardly) and essentially set their team to lose one after another. I think Dane especially might have made some difference. Oh well, not really unhappy here, I've been hoping for Mike and Tara to come this far. :)

If Nicole has kept up at Tara's level she may be the at-home person to beat. I think Daniel will look amazing but I don't think he can have reached the percentage of somebody like Nicole in the same amount of time. I mean, he started bigger than Mike and Mike has had the benefit of the ranch for 4 months and Mike still has weight to lose. There's no way Daniel is going to come anywhere near that level in the same amount of time at home. I think Dane might be able to do it physically but I'm also thinking Dane may go for/stay with a football player physique. I'm thinking Dane is not going to get as small as, say, Filipe. I'm imagining him still kinda stocky on top. Course, he may totally surprise me! Carla may be another strong contender. She's the female Daniel...could she have lost enough in this amount of time?

LuvMyMr
04-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Anybody notice that Felipe's wife's name went from Levila (on previous shows) to Olivia (at the start of the update) and back to Levila near the end of the update?

I noticed that! LOL I was like, huh? I wonder what that was about.

MindiV
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
My husband's first comment when he saw all the BIG losses this week is that they threw it, or just didn't try AS hard, last week. He thinks they knew the weigh-in for this week would be tougher with a smaller group, knew they'd need a big loss and most of them don't get those big losses every week this late in the game. Who knows...

It's crazy that Felipe lost 10 pounds and went home. Just insane.

zinkemomx2
04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
It was probably another one of their 10 day weeks as well.

sportmom
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Yep, notice they kept saying 17 weeks which is just over 4 months whereas the show has been on air for only a little over 3 - 14 weeks or so? So yes, they've had some accelerated weeks in there. I know - this week's losses were crazy. I think they employed some tricks normaly saved for the finale thsi week - dehydration, massive calorie restriction the day before, I wouldn't even put purging/fasting beyond their desire to not get eliminated this week. It was probably a 2 week window, but yes, to still lose 5 lbs a week at this point (for a total of 10 at the weigh in) is highly unlikely. And what was up with them all being so shocked that they were all going home this week. It must feel like forever by week 17-18 - did they think they were staying 20 weeks maybe? It was odd.

LookingForMeAgain
04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Didnt Ali say last night they had been there 152 days? Thats like almost 22 weeks yet they say they are on week 17

I dont understand the 30 day thing they didnt explain that well. Will they come back and one of them be eliminated or what is the purpose of that? I dont want to see them in 30 days b/c then the finale is not as big of a reveal?

saef
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
The producers are free to invent as many twists to the show as they want, and I think the 30-day twist has to do with ensuring that they get the winner they'd prefer to have representing the show & its advertising sponsors in the future.

I'm pretty sure they'd rather have Mike or Tara as the "face" for this season than Helen or Ron.

Last season, I was trying to imagine them dealing with the completely unlikeable trio they ended up with, and with Michelle. It seemed to me that Michelle just had to be their winner. Because who'd want to see Vicky pushing Subway sandwiches or Zip-Loc bags or Extra sugarfree gum? That is not the kind of person the corporate sponsors want to be associated with.

The Biggest Loser isn't just about losing weight, it's a kind of morality play in which moral judgments get passed on the participants.

sportmom
04-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, good point. It is all a puppet show in the end and we are in the audience watching the strings being pulled.

I thought we all thought the live finale was on May 4 based on last week's info. Now it's going on for another week. Hard to let a good thing die, I imagine. The season is worth too much $$$$$. They even got poor FILIPE shagging the Ziploc baggies. Noticed how when he was making dinner he purposely turned the box, label side out to face the camera, when he picked it up. :rolleyes:

trekkiegirl
04-29-2009, 01:16 PM
The producers are free to invent as many twists to the show as they want, and I think the 30-day twist has to do with ensuring that they get the winner they'd prefer to have representing the show & its advertising sponsors in the future.
I'm pretty sure they'd rather have Mike or Tara as the "face" for this season than Helen or Ron.
Last season, I was trying to imagine them dealing with the completely unlikeable trio they ended up with, and with Michelle. It seemed to me that Michelle just had to be their winner. Because who'd want to see Vicky pushing Subway sandwiches or Zip-Loc bags or Extra sugarfree gum? That is not the kind of person the corporate sponsors want to be associated with.
The Biggest Loser isn't just about losing weight, it's a kind of morality play in which moral judgments get passed on the participants.

I agree. I also think, in addition to creating the twists to favor certain contestants, they are quite deliberate about what they choose to show and how much so as to influence viewer perception. I also feel that they encourage and sometimes create the agitation among the contestants. Some of those potshots they take at one another in the confessionals sound scripted, like they're being encouraged to talk smack on camera about one another.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought Mike or Tara are exactly the face they want to have this season. They can both be marketed from inspiring angles. Tara, the woman who can do it all, the beautiful model, athlete, etc. Mike, the sweet boy-turned-man, the youngest contestant ever, the teenager who can appeal to other teenagers...not to mention he's turned into one cute dude. LOL, I'm one of his Facebook friends and he's got over 2000 of them. :p Anyway, I do think the not-desiring of Ron or Helen as the face has less to do this season with their personalities rather than their ages and, in Ron's case, the fact that he's still big and the least healthy-looking.

BTW...was anybody else thinking that dress really didn't flatter Tara? I mean, it's great that she fit into it, but it wasn't flattering. I loved what Helen had on, though. That's totally my kind of outfit.

So...I think I had read that the contestants went home February 20. Thirty days would take them to on or around March 22. On the one hand, it's kinda weird that they're doing another weigh-in that close to the finale on May 12...kinda lessens the surprise...but then, they are so close to their goals now, it can't be much more of a surprise! But I guess they want to come full circle with the whole "go home for 30 days" thing again...they really did make this an epic season, like Ali said. And these are all contestants that didn't go home the first time.

MindiV
04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I thought the whole "goal outfit" segment was a total setup. I don't know Tara at all...but I can't see her picking out THAT dress to wear at any point, especially "in London years ago."

Was I wrong, or did they say AMERICA gets to vote out one of the contestants after the 30 day weigh-in? If so....that'll be interesting. If this is a spur of the moment sort of twist on the producers' part, especially. They've been portraying Ron as the "bad guy," and maybe it's freaking them out that there's a chance, however slight it might be, that he COULD be the one at the end. Maybe this way they guarantee either Ron or Helen is gone if one of them is in the bottom two, and their "golden" children, Tara and Mike, will be right in there to win it.

aangel22
04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm definitely voting for Tara. She deserves it.

I agree that her dress was not very flattering. She should've gotten a spaghetti strap or even strapless "little black dress". ;) I didn't care for it.

Helen looked incredible in her outfit! Such skinny legs that woman has!

trekkiegirl
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Was I wrong, or did they say AMERICA gets to vote out one of the contestants after the 30 day weigh-in? If so....that'll be interesting. If this is a spur of the moment sort of twist on the producers' part, especially. They've been portraying Ron as the "bad guy," and maybe it's freaking them out that there's a chance, however slight it might be, that he COULD be the one at the end. Maybe this way they guarantee either Ron or Helen is gone if one of them is in the bottom two, and their "golden" children, Tara and Mike, will be right in there to win it.

They're doing the same thing this season that they did the past 2 seasons. We'll have 2 definite finalists, the top 2 who've lost the best percentage next week and the bottom 2, and the vote will be between the bottom 2.
They started that in Season 5 when it was Ali, Kelly, Mark and Roger. The girls were bummed because a) they felt like they deserved to have the power of the elimination and b) they were planning to eliminate Roger. As it turned out, the popular vote kept Roger in. Then of course, last year the vote seemed even more of a crucial factor because of the desire to keep Michelle. If Michelle had fallen below with any of the others, the voters would have kept her there in droves. As it happened, she was one of the two top people, so she didn't need it. I think the assumption for next week, and probably a legitimate one, is that Tara and Mike are gonna kill it, that Helen will fall because she's so small already and that Ron will fall because he won't want to risk beating Mike's percentage....with everybody being home and being able to weigh themselves constantly, Ron will know exactly how much to stay below his son. Ron will not win the show, he himself will make sure of it but he sure has succeeded in cutting down the competition to Mike. Plus, he's so far behind all three of the others in percentage, he couldn't possibly do it anyway.

BTW, just another thing I noticed...Bob was basically clean-shaven at the weigh-in but had a full beard in the commentary during the weigh-in. Definitely some time between those things.

Oh, yes, at least part of the "goal outfit" scene was staged. Note the Ziplock box on display on Helen's dresser!

sportmom
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I didn't like the dress either, but believed it to be real. If TBL producers had found her an outfit, it would have been much more stunning. The 'bag' dress, as I called it, look like a potato sack and was a real connection to me of how I have myself bought clothes that "will look good when........." and then I get to the win and realize clothes I thought would look good don't after my body changes, and that I can't buy any more clothes without trying them on.

MrsPiggy
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
My husband's first comment when he saw all the BIG losses this week is that they threw it, or just didn't try AS hard, last week. He thinks they knew the weigh-in for this week would be tougher with a smaller group, knew they'd need a big loss and most of them don't get those big losses every week this late in the game. Who knows...

It's crazy that Felipe lost 10 pounds and went home. Just insane.

I agree if I could lose 10 lbs in a week ! Whoa ! But it's like their disappointed... and that frustrates me! I guess they are upset because of game play but MAN the opportunity they have is AMAZING! Thay all look SO great!

aangel22
04-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I wanted to post this earlier but I had forgotten about it! When they voted Felipe off, Helen had mentioned about getting rid of the bigger threat. I honestly think Ron is more of the bigger threat! Now that Ron and Mike are in the final four, they have more power. I would've gotten rid of Ron. He really just gets to me. :(

ennay
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but I'll give it a go..

Remember Dane? When after he got voted off, it showed him a couple months later running a half marathon? Well, I read a couple days ago in a magazine that he cheated on that.

Apparently, some runners saw him and his wife stop, and then the producers picked them up in a van and drove them a few miles and dropped them off to finish the race. I guess the wife spoke up and apologized... said something about that they stopped to take pictures and film so "lost time" so the producers drove them 3 miles to make up for it... I guess they apologized for "deceiving" their viewers? I'll see if I can find an online article....

Found one: http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/02/the-biggest-los.html

HOWEVER, he did finish the Country Music Marathon last weekend in 5:47 ish. The heat and humidity at CMM was BRUTAL this year, most of my runner friends who are good marathoners finished more than 30 minutes behind their projected time (my one friend finished in 4:01 and was the "first finisher from the 3:30 pace team") and the heat was getting worse the longer you stayed out there.

I havent been able to watch the show the last 2 weeks because of stupid NBA playoffs. :mad:

MindiV
04-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I wanted to post this earlier but I had forgotten about it! When they voted Felipe off, Helen had mentioned about getting rid of the bigger threat. I honestly think Ron is more of the bigger threat! Now that Ron and Mike are in the final four, they have more power. I would've gotten rid of Ron. He really just gets to me. :(

I tend to agree. I mean, maybe Ron does way more than they show...but he's dropping HUGE amounts of weight working out (as far as they've shown at least) about as hard as I do at home, and all I lost when I was losing was 1-2 pounds per week. He could do some damage at home, and I really don't think Felipe would have. Maybe I'm wrong, but this decision may totally come back to bite her on the butt...

I'd have ditched Ron, too.

sportmom
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Mindy, you had mentioned it before whether or not Ron's surgery would give him an unfair advantage in wl each week because of the malabsorption/rerouting of his intestines. I don't know what kind he had how many ever years ago, but there has to be either one of those 2 scenarios in play. It's like he flew below the radar the first weeks in the "I'm not a threat mode" and then started losing massive amounts in the last month to stay above the yellow line. I wonder if he was eating alot and then cut back to normal or what everyone else was and now he is seeing his surgical advantage.

MindiV
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
All we can figure is that it IS a surgical advantage, somehow. Like I said...his activity level has in no way compared to what everyone else has done, and he's had bigger losses. Maybe it's just that he has more to lose...but if that's the case, nothing explains Kristin's gains, etc.

aangel22
04-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Mindy, you had mentioned it before whether or not Ron's surgery would give him an unfair advantage in wl each week because of the malabsorption/rerouting of his intestines. I don't know what kind he had how many ever years ago, but there has to be either one of those 2 scenarios in play. It's like he flew below the radar the first weeks in the "I'm not a threat mode" and then started losing massive amounts in the last month to stay above the yellow line. I wonder if he was eating alot and then cut back to normal or what everyone else was and now he is seeing his surgical advantage.

Ron had the Roux-en-Y (http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/surgery/weightloss/services.html) Gastric Bypass. I'd heard him mention it before. That would explain the huge weight losses lately!

MindiV
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I've missed quite a few seasons of TBL...have they had any previous contestants who've had some form of surgery for weight loss?

ennay
04-30-2009, 03:24 PM
They mentioned in an earlier episode that when Ron arrived at the ranch his metabolism was seriously screwed up, all his chemicals were off. Then right around the time he finally started losing is when they got his system working again. So it wasnt so much that he was slacking the first several weeks as he was restoring metabolism. Now, yeah, the surgery may help a little, but I dunno. WLS has tricky side effects. More of it might just be he is still a BIG guy and now he is back in gear. Even with injury I bet he is working out a lot more than they show. He probably spends hours in the pool or something and they dont show that.

aangel22
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I've missed quite a few seasons of TBL...have they had any previous contestants who've had some form of surgery for weight loss?

As far as I've heard and read, he is the first.

I wonder if somebody would pay for him to get the extra skin removed? Maybe Oprah...

jajabee
04-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I haven't seen a TBL finale show before, do they usually have skin removal surgery beforehand? Cause Ron could easily lose 20 pounds just in all that loose skin on his chest, but would that be fair?

sportmom
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
No, he's the first, and you would think it would disqualify them from consideration, wouldn't you?

eta: unless the goal is huge weightloss for ratings, and then it works! :D

ennay
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
No, he's the first, and you would think it would disqualify them from consideration, wouldn't you?

eta: unless the goal is huge weightlos, and then it works!

Not really. He had the surgery a while ago and was still unable to lose the weight, which is I think the message that is good from his situation. WLS is not some easy cure, you still have to do the work.

maryshady
04-30-2009, 07:48 PM
My sister had wls and I can't imagine having that surgery and not losing the weight. She could barely eat anything and if she overate she would have a dumping effect (throwing up). She went from 310 lbs to 160 in about 9 months. I know a few others who have also had wls with the same results. Eventually you can stretch your stomach back out again but never to full size.

MindiV
05-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I kind of wondered if it shouldn't have disqualified him. I know it's still work even AFTER you have the surgery...if not then it would've worked for him years ago, right? But I'm talking about the advantage he apparently has in the physical sense. He's still here even though he could barely do ANYTHING for some time. He kept losing big enough numbers to stick around and stay above the yellow line. If Tara had done as little physical work as Ron has, she'd have been gone weeks ago. Same for Mike, Helen or anyone else. If it's his surgery that's been helping him achieve the big numbers, then it's an unfair advantage, to me.

ladywinter
05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Here is my big complaint.

It is supposed to be a weight loss show. Yet Ron who has fallen below the yellow line like EVERY time almost....stays to the final four. He did not work as hard as others, in fact it seems he works very little, making me wonder if that gastric bypass is helping him now as his stomach may be shrinking back down. If it was a weight loss show and not a backstabbing game, and if it was REALLY about helping people get healthy....he should have been gone long ago.

I laughed when he said Laura needed voted off because of health issue...all we have heard about all season is poor ron and his health issues.

They voted Jerry off...last season was it or this? because of his health...but Ron stays...and doesnt work...and will get rewarded for it.

I also wonder that Ron didnt let his sons go on the show and instead chose himself....how noble.

Thats my pet peeve...rant over lol.

loriehohlf
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I also wonder that Ron didnt let his sons go on the show and instead chose himself....how noble.

I am pretty sure Ron's other son wasn't old enough to go on the show...correct? I believe they have to be at least 18 and he wasn't.

Bailey3017
05-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I am a huge fan of Tara...she's just the sterotypical type A personality. She is so motivated, but has had her moments of breakdown.

How many challenges has she won so far? If that doesn't say something I don't know what does. She totally kicked butt this last week on the sand hill challenge, carrying her weight. I was worried at first but she kept her pace and went for it, same as with the car challenge...well every challenge...she focuses on the goal at hand and makes it. I find her to be inspirational.

Mike has changed a bit during the show...I can't put my finger on it...a little of his dad coming out in him?

Helen to me straddles the fence and has the whole show...but she doesn't bother me too bad.

Ron should have been sent home a long time ago as most of you have said. He is devious, I think Mike would have still been around without him...he's pretty sneaky himself...definately playing the kid card from time to time with everyone.

I'm anxious for this week and looking forward to the finale when it will def be between Tara and Mike, no doubt.

angeline
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Yet Ron who has fallen below the yellow line like EVERY time almost....stays to the final four. He did not work as hard as others, in fact it seems he works very little, making me wonder if that gastric bypass is helping him now as his stomach may be shrinking back down. If it was a weight loss show and not a backstabbing game, and if it was REALLY about helping people get healthy....he should have been gone long ago.

i have no idea if the gastric bypass is now helping but i do have to give him kudos (as much as i dislike him!), for all of the reasons you mention above - falling below the yellow line numerous times, never winning a challenge (did he?), working out less strenuous than the others, and he's older!

i just can't believe that the contestants never thought to break up the brown team, until it was too late.

i wonder if the contestants win anything for making it to the final 4. and i think ron will be voted off in a landslide after the 30 day episode.

and that whole bit at the top of the episode of bob needing to know if ron instructed mike to vote off kristin. as if ron's going to tell him anything. yes, kristin was bob's best shot at a winner but i still think his questioning was way off base.

aangel22
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Mike and Ron were the final two somehow?

That would be such a gip though!

*GO, TARA, GO!!!* ;)

kiramira
05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
You know, I'll bet that Ron doesn't keep the weight off. I think he's too crafty and too willing to "work the system" to get what he wants to keep this weight off. After all, he was able to eat through his WLS, which is, from what I understand, not an easy thing to do. And what I think he really, really wants, deep deep down is a jelly donut. I just don't get a sincere feeling about him at all, based on the last few weeks. I think he was motivated to go on the show to manipulate things to get his son to win.
Kira

Institches21
05-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Ron to me did not deserve to be still on the show, in his own words, he said Laura needs to go home, due to her bad hip, Ron has so much wrong with his body due to the weight, and it's only the last couple of weeks that he has been losing, and losing big numbers, so I have to wonder, why?? all of a sudden, was this part of his game plan, I don't trust him, then when you over hear him whispering to Mike, about Kristen, nothing is off limits. Even telling Helen and Tara he isn't a threat to them, so let him stay and finish the game with his son. I think the man might just lose all this weight, just so he can make sure it's between him and Mike, then he will let Mike become the BL.

I personally hope it's Tara, taking nothing away from Mike, who by the way has really done an outstanding job, but every challenge it seemed Tara was the come from behind to take the lead and win, and then win big, it wasn't even close a few times, she kicked butt, her inner strength is unbelievable.

Helen to me, has also done a great job, she has worked her heart out, and looks pretty amazing in those jeans, but there's something about her...not too sure she should be the BL.

ddc
05-02-2009, 06:49 PM
There was a Biggest Loser competition once between military wives.
It wasn't a regular season, but kind of a special shorter series, and one of the female contestants had had a gastric bypass.
That was several years ago.
(Unless I'm totally not remembering that right-LOL!!)

sportmom
05-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Yep, I remember it now too. I think it was one of the white navy officer wives. She had eaten around her WLS as well. It didn't seem to unfairly put her ahead - I remember she struggled big time and sweat it out just like everyone else. Thanks for bringing that up again.

sportmom
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Interesting read about Kai from Alaska:

http://www.adn.com/life/health/story/740127.html

Jacque9999
05-03-2009, 08:45 AM
I just wonder how difficult will it be for Mike to continue at home? Will he be able to maintain his healthy habits?

I think he will...I am hoping he wins it all!!! I think he and his dad will go home and TOTALLY motivate the other son!!! I think the finale will be outstanding!!

On another note...I'M A HELEN HATER!!!! She is so annoying. And the fact that she sent her daughter home was ridiculous!!! I would do ANYTHING for my kids whether they wanted me to or not....Mom knows best, no matter what age their kids are!!! I think her weight loss is great but she's an idiot!!!

Sheila53
05-03-2009, 04:08 PM

That's actually a pretty sad, and scary, story.

Lizzyg
05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
ugh, I'm sick of Ron. I hated when he told the yellow team girl (I cant remember her name right now) it was "her time to leave" I wish they would have voted him off long ago. And i hated how he had Mike do his dirty work. He wanted Kristen gone, he should have had the guts to vote her off too.

I'm team Tara :) But I also do like Mike.

Amarantha2
05-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I am rooting for Mike or Ron to win.

Tara probably will, though, as she seems to win everything and she'll certainly be sure to tell everyone about it beforehand.

MindiV
05-04-2009, 09:50 AM
ugh, I'm sick of Ron. I hated when he told the yellow team girl (I cant remember her name right now) it was "her time to leave" I wish they would have voted him off long ago. And i hated how he had Mike do his dirty work. He wanted Kristen gone, he should have had the guts to vote her off too.

I'm team Tara :) But I also do like Mike.

If you're talking about Aubrey, I'm right with you. He said she "needed to go home and take care of her dad." Well, I think if that's the case, RON needs to go home and take care of his son, who's a minor and still under the care of Ron and his wife...even MORE than Aubrey needed to "take care of her dad."

Jacque9999
05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
If you're talking about Aubrey, I'm right with you. He said she "needed to go home and take care of her dad." Well, I think if that's the case, RON needs to go home and take care of his son, who's a minor and still under the care of Ron and his wife...even MORE than Aubrey needed to "take care of her dad."

I Agree!!! I do sort of like Ron but only because he is Mike's Dad, but he seems to know exactly what is best for everybody. Give me a break!!!

KEmery08
05-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Ron just makes me frustrated. There is just something in his personality that irks me.

trekkiegirl
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't particularly like some of the things that Ron has said and done but I consider Kristin (and Kathy) his accomplice(s). If Ron is Vito Corleone, then Kristin is Michael Corleone because she willingly helped him. It annoyed me when she called Mike a coward for eliminating a supposedly bigger threat in herself when she did exactly the same thing to Dane, Mandi and Aubrey, when she said she had an alliance with Ron & her mom to keep Bob's original people together, and she also was threatened by them both individually and collectively. When Filipe asked Kristin if she would vote out Ron (ostensibly over Sione or himself), she wouldn't answer him. Kristin rode the alliance with Ron for as long as she could because it was to her benefit. She wanted to make it to the end, too, and, for a while, she was part of a trio that helped to get her closer to that end. She didn't ally with Ron to help Mike, she did it to help herself.

I do want either Tara or Mike to win. I think they are both likeable and they have both worked very hard. Tara gets a lot of kudos from me for having done it without the benefit of any real alliances and with the majority of the others gunning for her and even sabotaging her. Laura's one vote wouldn't have saved her if she'd gone below the yellow line. It's ironic that the person she now considers herself closest to, Helen, is the same one that cost her the half-marathon victory and who's been a not particularly nice rival. I see a sort of need/hate (not even love/hate) between them. I could see Helen taking Tara out at an earlier point if she had been given the opportunity. But lately they have been the "odd women out." The others (Kristin, Felipe, Mike, Ron) all had at least one other person, if not more helping them, plus their previous alliances from being on Bob's team. Helen and Tara have been kind of forced to unite to survive.

And Mike, for all the gameplay by his father, has been the biggest loser on campus in the history of the show. Ron didn't lose Mike's weight for him. That kid worked hard. And despite his youth and being male, he struggled with some of the challenges because he was overweight for most of his life and hasn't been used to being that active. He even seems to walk like he's still big. This has been life-altering for him, regardless of his father's motives.

Phyxius79
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Helen can go away and I will be so happy! The woman is annoying. Whine whine whine. 'Do ya think?' I think the woman has no brain. I am happy about her WL and she looks great but grrr. I only hopes she helps her daughter when she gets home instead of being so dang selfish.

Ron - just shut up. That is all I want. If he didn't talk he would almost seem like a good human outside the fact he tried to kill himslef and his whole family with food.

Tara and Mike to the end. I think bottom line is that the stronger and most determined of the two will win. They both have come so far. It sure is neat to see. Mike sure has turned into a cutie. That jacket really made him look hot!

4me4mygirls
05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom

That's actually a pretty sad, and scary, story.

That is sad. I've often thought that the level of exercise on TBL borders on exercise bulimia- where you exercise excessively to lose/not gain. I've also read that contestants have fasted before the final weigh ins. I worry that others will go from one type of eating disorder (binge-eating or compulsive over-eating) to another (anorexia or bulimia). As a former binge eater, and childhood anorexic, I don't wish either on anyone. :(

jacilu
05-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Team Tara all the way. :)

Lizzyg
05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

Yes Aubrey! Thank you! Ugh, that just pissed me off. And then when they voted Dane off - that pissed me off when they then proceeded to complain about losing all the team events after that - well you just voted off your strongest players, what you expect?

And I totally agree that he needed to go home and take care of his son, more than Aubrey needed to take care of her Dad. I'd like to see how her Dad is still doing. If he's continued to lose weight or not.

I like Tara - and I liked how she won that car pulling event, even after they all added the pounds to her car.

saef
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm rooting for Tara.

I finally understand that term "haters" (or "haterz," as I see it written online sometimes). Blonde overachievers like Tara are exactly what the "haters" can't stand. I'll admit I had some difficulty with her myself in the beginning. But she won me over completely by her dedication & single-mindedness & by her refusal to engage in any stereotypically female softness or coyness. She works like a horse. She has focus. I can relate all too well to her breakdown moments, too. Some of the most interesting interactions this season have occurred between her & Jillian. Because it's the opposite of a trainer trying to motivate someone who's lazy or self-doubting. Instead, she tries to steady Tara & keep her from overdoing it compulsively. I am trying to take some life lessons from this.

Mike's likeable, but I just don't relate as closely to him. And there's the Icky Father Factor to contend with. Ron defines passive-aggressive hypocrisy for me. He plays the wise, benevolent patriarch when he's really working the game. Mike called him a chess master. It's an interesting type, but as far as this show goes, I'm all in favor of the more open, hard-working, heavily sweating winners than the manipulative, making-the-right-moves winners. I'm rooting on the base of athleticism rather than gamesmanship.

vixjean
05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Ron should have been gone a long time ago.
I just kept waiting for Filepe to bring his game, and he never did.
Tara has won everything else, I don't see why she wouldn't win the entire thing. I really don't like her teeth (petty I know) and she is very confident and cocky for someone that was supposed to have low self esteem.
I really liked Kristin, wish she could have stayed to win it.
I wonder if Joelle will come back for the finale - LOL.
Mike is ok, and I hope he wins it - over the choices we are left with. I think he picked ups Kristin's accent --- it's a bit much how they both OVER pronounce ever word.

Jacque9999
05-05-2009, 06:13 AM
I really liked Kristin, wish she could have stayed to win it.
I wonder if Joelle will come back for the finale - LOL.

I got my BF into TBL and he HATED Kristin...he was doing a jig when she got the boot.

Joelle probably didn't do a darn thing...It will be interesting to see her. I think they are contractually obligated to return for the finale.

Mercee
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow!! It's almost time for the finale. I'm excited to see who will win and to start a new season soon.

aangel22
05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I got my BF into TBL and he HATED Kristin...he was doing a jig when she got the boot.

Joelle probably didn't do a darn thing...It will be interesting to see her. I think they are contractually obligated to return for the finale.

I know in past seasons there were people who did not show up to the finale. Probably because they got sent home, sat around and lost nothing, and didn't want to be publicly humiliated on live tv in front of millions of people.

MotoMichelle
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes, I'm curious if David will show up. I'm guessing he will since he was willing to come back at the mid-point. Hopefully he has made a change for the better.

saef
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
If Carla and Joelle both show up, will they even speak to each other? Will they give each other death stares or will there be a tearful reconciliation?

I hope Jerry & Estelle look wonderful & are in superb health. I know Estelle seemed to be doing pretty well a few episodes ago.

I wish nothing but the best to the two guys in the Orange Team. I found them engaging & they went far too soon. I hope they see Mike as an inspiration for their futures.

MindiV
05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
So is the finale TONIGHT...or are they doing the 30 day weigh in tonight and the live finale next week? I forget...

trekkiegirl
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
So is the finale TONIGHT...or are they doing the 30 day weigh in tonight and the live finale next week? I forget...

The finale is May 12. Tonight is when they meet their cardboard selves and go home for 30 days and come back and get weighed in. Then we'll know who are the 2 definite finalists and who are the 2 to be voted on. They will also be running a marathon tonight, and everybody who completes it gets $10,000 towards their charity of choice. Also appearing tonight will be past winners Michelle, Ali, Heba, Bernie and Jim G. (I wonder how it is that Mark and Jay got to visit the then 5 contestants and why they didn't show that.)

I've only been watching since season 5, and I know Kelly's teammate (and ex-husband, Paul--yellow team) didn't show up for the finale because he was gravely ill in the hospital. One of his relatives posted on the NBC board at the time, that Paul had like 3 or 4 serious medical complications going on, he nearly died.

LookingForMeAgain
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
See I didnt watch the season(s) that they did the come back and vote thats why I had no idea they did that and thought it was strange and killed the surprise or more so it wouldnt be as dramatic. Thats why I was asking why they didnt explain that more I didnt know it was common knowledge.

trekkiegirl
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
See I didnt watch the season(s) that they did the come back and vote thats why I had no idea they did that and thought it was strange and killed the surprise or more so it wouldnt be as dramatic. Thats why I was asking why they didnt explain that more I didnt know it was common knowledge.

They did the viewer votes seasons 5 & 6 but they never did the 30-day come back and weigh in thing until now. The final four weigh in just continued the following week without the month long break for the contestants.

trekkiegirl
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
LOL, they "spoiled" the weigh in by showing the voting webpage with Mike and Ron on it before the weigh in even happened. :dizzy:

Hmmm...this vote could go either way. Mike has a lot of fans but so does Tara. Mike is a big threat to her. Some Tara fans may vote for Ron to keep Mike out. Or they may think Tara could win the $250K and Mike could win the at home $100K. Although....if # of Facebook friends is any judge, Mike has a lot more than Tara. And we have that crucial young female population, lol...those who have been inspired by Tara and those who are in love with Mike! :D Ultimately, I don't think it will be a replay of last year (with people voting overwhelmingly to keep Heba out as opposed to keeping Ed in)....I think Mike will make the vote.

I was kinda disappointed they didn't show them facing their former cardboard selves. They have it up as a bonus scene on the website, though.

OMG, the finale next week is 3 hours long.

kiramira
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Vote for Ron!
Kira

Amarantha2
05-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Ron is a favorite of mine for a number of reasons, including the way he finished that marathon despite all odds to prove a point to his children.

So I hope he gets his wish and the vote goes for Mike and then I hope Mike wins.

Even though the Mike/Ron team fell below the line, I thought they were winners.

The two women did a great job of weight loss, Tara won all the challenges, they look fabulous.

Rooting for Mike or Ron, though.

nbrown7384
05-06-2009, 02:08 AM
seriously? did NBC think Ron was actually going to plead his case?

I'm looking forward to seeing Nicole, Carla, Laura and Kristin again. And more of Max.

They should do a Biggest Loser Teens version, but tone down the drama... we all know the childhood obesity problem this country has!

Looks like Helen's daughter hasn't lost much at home, at least in comparison to her mother, and through the very little we actually saw of her on this episode. Wonder what she'll look like next week?

This is my first season really watching, I've always caught a few episodes here and there, but was wondering have contestants shown up at the final not having lost much or any weight?

canadianwoman
05-06-2009, 05:34 AM
I can't wait to see how Jerry,Estelle and Dan are doing.
It is going to be a LONG week.

Jacque9999
05-06-2009, 07:33 AM
I fell asleep before it was over....gotta go to NBC website to get the scoop. I can't believe the finale is 3 hours...that's ridiculous.

Robot
05-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I wonder which charities they donated their marathon money to.

MindiV
05-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Hmmm....what to do....

On one hand I can't STAND Ron and want him gone. On the other, I'm rooting for Tara by default, and sending Mike home would nearly guarantee her a win...

Decisions, decisions...

L144S
05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I want tara and Mike to win I hope ron is voted #3 and Mike can win the at home Tarellow lia can win the big prize.

Interesting how big Heba was last night....

And does anyone else think Tara looks like Ricki Lake?

Amarantha2
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
One thing about the big "elimination" vote by America that occurs to me is that it is moot. There's really no sending anyone home at this point as we will see plenty of both people that fell below the line at the finale, as well as everyone else that went home. Anyone who is eliminated from this last round has already proved themselves a winner and for the two brown team members, they are in the final three no matter what, whether it be Mike or Ron as they will each be happy for the other whatever the outcome.

I probably wouldn't involve myself so much in the show as to vote but I hope Mike wins it as that will make Ron happy.

Ron's performance at the marathon was so inspiring to me that he's already the big winner in my mind.

It almost makes me feel I could run/walk/jog/crawl a marathon myself. :)

Kimphin
05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Ron just makes me frustrated. There is just something in his personality that irks me.

Me too.

I just found out that he's a politician.

That explains it, LOL!

aangel22
05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I voted for Ron. I am all for Tara. She definitely deserves it. She worked harder than any of them and never fell below the yellow line! NEVER. Has that ever been done before?! She is a absolutely amazing and really has inspired me. We are the same height and she just got below my weight in the last couple weeks.

*Yeah she looks a bit like Ricki in her face. I never thought about that before!*

canadianangel
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Im not a big fan of Ron...but last night when he didnt give up, and was going to finish no matter what...once he crossed the lines, i was in tears, to see mike and max there along with everyone else. it just proves we can push ourselfs alot futher then we think..mind over matter.

I really enjoyed seening max on the show, and bob going in and helping him with a workout, and eating. i hope mike and ron, help max. Max is my new favorite, even if hes not part of the show..im cheering him on.

Tara is my hero..i think she will win it, and when they showed her room with all the clothing..is that current clothing or all ove her old stuff.

mike..I felt bad for him that he couldnt run the marathon, but atleast he completed it. koodoos to him, and also im loving how hes proud of Max for getting involved!

Helen...im glad she finsished it, but she seemed to be complaining alot last night

I loved how the trainers went in, and showed them, that they dont need to be perfect, that this is the real world, and you are going to have potato chips, and wine, and be eating out.

Go Tara Go!!!

WardHog
05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know when last night's weigh-in was filmed? How long did they have at home between that weigh-in and the finale?

trekkiegirl
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know when last night's weigh-in was filmed? How long did they have at home between that weigh-in and the finale?

They went back to CA on March 23. Between the marathon and the weigh-in, I'm guessing it had to be 1-2 days at the ranch. I'm not sure if they did the weigh-in the same night as the marathon. So from then to May 12...seven weeks.

Tara is my hero..i think she will win it, and when they showed her room with all the clothing..is that current clothing or all ove her old stuff.

That was what she brought back from the ranch. She said she hadn't unpacked and settled back in.

Did anybody notice Tara's mom's kitchen didn't change all that much? :p They didn't do the cabinets, those were the same. All I noticed different were the countertops and appliances....is that worth $25,000? :o

I'm impressed with Mike's vocabulary. Most 18 year olds I know would have no clue what the words voracious and apathetic mean. :p

Last night seemed even more scripted than usual. It was like, okay, now stand there and act surprised. Is it just me or does Helen sound like a broken record? I keep hearing the same stuff from her over and over...and it's pretty much all variations of "Look at me! Look what I can do!"

Ron's wife was noticeably absent from the marathon. It was weird to see them all there except her. BTW, I read that they met at a weight loss clinic.

Phyxius79
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
vixjean - I hate Taras teeth too. Too me it seems like she carries her head all wrong, her psoture seems off. I think her mind is going to hurt her in life. She can win every challange but has a nervous breakdown at home. She needs to get those emotions in check and learn how to handle them, if not she will be sitting on that bed eating pizza again. Lifestyle change girl.

Ron made me practically ball last night. His determination shocked everyone there and everyone at home. He will probably still be hurting at the finale but he did it. A marathon - Wow!!!

Helen - SHUT UP!! She whines and whines and look at me. Yes we know you are a selfish 48 year old who sent your daughter home. Not once did you hear her say anything about helping her daughter at home. Big deal you ran a marathon - next time do it with out whining and do it cause you want too.

Mike - he too was fighting with those emotions at home. I felt for him because he really wants to help his brother but doesn't feel he really knows how. Then thru all that he hurts his hip. I think it may just be a little bump in the road for him though. He will pull thru and do just fine in life.

Max - keep it up! He is gonna be picking up the hottest girl in his school and taking her to prom next year!!!

I am looking forward to the finale. I didn't start watching until February so I don't know a lot of the history of the show. It sure will be neat to watch though.

willow650
05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I really want to see Mike and Tara battle it out at the final weigh in, Mike will almost guarantee to win the 'at home' title if he is not part of the final 3.

amynbebes
05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm hoping that Mike makes it into the final three. Some have said that he's cocky but he's what? 18/19. How many boys that age aren't just a little cocky and add to the fact that this kid has improved by leaps and bounds both health and appearance wise. He deserves to be a little cocky.
As for Helen I really haven't had a problem with her until last night. She was being so frigging dramatic. I just wanted to scream "SHUT UP!!".

Mikayla
05-06-2009, 04:43 PM
The thing I don't like about Helen is that she has been thin before, she knows diet and exercise are the key to losing weight and keeping it off, she lost me the night she decided to send her daughter home, because she knew she had a better chance of winning. from that point on I just wanted her to go home.

I think Tara will win, but I think Mike deserves to win more. I really think without this opportunity the weight loss was not in his future, Every time I watch the Biggest Loser I always think the person who most benefited from the experience is the person who should win. I really think Mike learned so much and he has the determination to change his life. I think Tara will win, but something about her attitude just tells me that she will go back to her old lifestyle rather quickly.

Jacque9999
05-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Go MIKEY!!! Boo HELEN!!! Unfortunately, Tara will probably win!!!
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

jajabee
05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Goooooooooo Tara!!! :D

juliemama
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't know why they weren't clear about specifically what Mike's hip injury was... does he have a fracture like Laura?

I was so happy for Ron for finishing, and I'm not even terribly fond of the guy. I am surprised no one here commented on how Mike was shown walking with his dad not too far from the finish and then suddenly he was AT the finish line in tears with the cameras rolling. :rolleyes: Where the heck WAS the mom, anyway? Yay for Max for puking on national TV!

What was with Tara "not unpacking yet" in New York and then doing her marathon training on the beach in CA??

L144S
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
it looked like Tara did her macy's $1000 shopping spree :)

zinkemomx2
05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
The producers need to learn how to add and use a calender.

I noticed that they said they have been on the ranch for 19 weeks as of last night. Last week they were on day 152, approx 21.7 weeks, and they called it week 17. Then after going home for an additional 30 days they were only on week 19? That would have been 182 days and that is 26 weeks. That is a LOT of discrepancy.

Robot
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I am surprised no one here commented on how Mike was shown walking with his dad not too far from the finish and then suddenly he was AT the finish line in tears with the cameras rolling. :rolleyes:?

I saw that too. I thought I was imagining it.

sportmom
05-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Tara was running on the beach in Long Island, NY whrere she's from, not California. Long Island is on the Atlantic. ;)

maryshady
05-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I am all for Tara!! Go girl!!

I think it was so sad that Mike was injured and couldn't run the marathon. I hope he didn't injure himself more by walking 26 miles.

I do have to say I was really impressed with Ron. Usually I despise the man but this is the first time he really pushed himself to complete a challenge.

trekkiegirl
05-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I noticed Mike's juxtaposition near the end of the marathon, too. One other freaky editing bit...unless Mike, Ron and Max were all wearing the same sweatshirt, pants and cap, they showed the same shot of the guy walking away from the camera 3 times, implying each time it was a different person. The first time was when Mike, Ron and Max started out walking the dogs together. The last shot of that was supposedly Max walking away from the camera. Later on, while Mike is training, they showed it again, only it was supposed to be Mike walking away. Then when they split the screen into four to show all 4 contestants training, you can clearly see Mike on the bottom right and the "walking away" figure on the bottom left, which is now supposed to be Ron???

Anyway....thought it would be fun to figure the percentages at this point:

Tara has lost 46%

Mike has lost just under 45% - he has to lose about 5 pounds just to catch up with Tara's current %

Helen has lost about 43% - she has to lose about 8 pounds just to catch up to Tara

Ron has lost 36%

I don't think Helen has it in her (or maybe I should say "on her") to surpass Tara, especially since I don't think Tara's going to stall. Mike is the big question mark right now, especially given the two things that could affect his workout--his injury and his divided focus with Max. He still has weight to lose but he's really going to have put "pedal to the metal." That being said, since I like both Tara and Mike, I want Mike to be in the final 3 but....if he isn't able to beat Tara, he may still be the 2nd biggest loser and that could make him the at-home winner if he isn't a finalist. I doubt anybody at home could reach his %. None of the last people who had the benefit of the long, intense ranch workouts for so long (Filipe, Laura, Kristen, Sione) even came close, not even close to Helen. Nicole did great at home but how much more could she have lost? The really bigger folks (Daniel, Carla, Dane, David) would had to have a lost a lot to get their percentage that high.

Kimphin
05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I saw that too. I thought I was imagining it.

Ya know, I saw that TOO! I just got caught up in everything else to go back and check it out on TiVo.

Also, when Tara was writing her training plan on the calendar - it was June 2009. Sneaky Ba$tards, I was trying to find out when exactly the marathon was. According to their calendar - it will be coming up on Friday June 26th ;)

zinkemomx2
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Also, when Tara was writing her training plan on the calendar - it was June 2009. Sneaky Ba$tards, I was trying to find out when exactly the marathon was. According to their calendar - it will be coming up on Friday June 26th ;)

Thanks. Now I gotta go back and find that. ;)

aangel22
05-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Ya know, I saw that TOO! I just got caught up in everything else to go back and check it out on TiVo.

?:?:? I'm confused... June 2009 has not even happened yet.

juliemama
05-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Tara was running on the beach in Long Island, NY whrere she's from, not California. Long Island is on the Atlantic. ;)

Oh I know where the oceans are, LOL, it just looked rather sunny and warm there, plus I thought they showed the map right before they cut to Tara on the beach and it said Malibu, CA - but maybe that was for the ranch. In any case I pity the people training in the Michigan winter weather!

Robot
05-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the players live close to each other. Brown, pink, and silver team all live around or in the Detroit area. The blue and black teams are from Mesa, Arizona. Tara is from Long Island and the red team's from Brooklyn.

Jacque9999
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the players live close to each other. Brown, pink, and silver team all live around or in the Detroit area. The blue and black teams are from Mesa, Arizona. Tara is from Long Island and the red team's from Brooklyn.

How do you remember all that?:dizzy::?::dizzy::?:

Robot
05-07-2009, 11:49 PM
The biggest loser site on nbc has their hometown listed on their profiles.

Lizzyg
05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm so mad at myself. So we taped the 2nd half of TBL, as we do every week, because we watch Fringe at 9. I didnt get to watch it until last night, and the voting was already done! :mad:

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Ron, but seeing him finish that marathon really makes me want to try the 5k I keep thinking about this summer. If he can do 26 miles, I can easily do a 5k.

I really hope Mike makes it in to the final 3. Even though I like Tara, I want to see him there too.

zinkemomx2
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Obviously they can't have taped something that hasn't happened yet. I went back and looked again and it is Friday the 26th. I'm thinking it was more likely December 26th. That way everyone got their 30 days at home around the holidays. Then they would have went back to the ranch for another week before going home to get ready for the finale. The season premiere was Jan 6th and I thought they were home while the show was airing.

trekkiegirl
05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Obviously they can't have taped something that hasn't happened yet. I went back and looked again and it is Friday the 26th. I'm thinking it was more likely December 26th. That way everyone got their 30 days at home around the holidays. Then they would have went back to the ranch for another week before going home to get ready for the finale. The season premiere was Jan 6th and I thought they were home while the show was airing.

There are articles online from the Morellis hometown paper that give a pretty good idea of dates. The week that all that the contestants went home a while back and did the half-marathon/cookie eating was around Christmas. The date given in the article for the Morellis most recent return to California is March 23.
Also, don't forget, Ali gave birth in mid January. This season started taping months before then as she was still very pregnant for weeks and didn't give birth until mid-season.
Plus Jillian mentioned in one of her radio shows, I believe, that the final 4 left the ranch (before the 30 days) on February 20, which does bring the return up to March 23.
As much as I've enjoyed this season, it has been rather long, and it's kind of lessened the surprise value of seeing the final 4 at the finale. They pretty much look now how they're going to look then. The only real question is whether Mike can beat Tara...and if it turns out he has the same injury Laura has, Tara's pretty much assured the victory. I wonder if they purposely left out mentioning what exactly Mike's diagnosis was because then people would know that if he had a fracture he'd be out of the running, no pun intended.

zinkemomx2
05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
There are articles online from the Morellis hometown paper that give a pretty good idea of dates. The week that all that the contestants went home a while back and did the half-marathon/cookie eating was around Christmas. The date given in the article for the Morellis most recent return to California is March 23.
Also, don't forget, Ali gave birth in mid January. This season started taping months before then as she was still very pregnant for weeks and didn't give birth until mid-season.
Plus Jillian mentioned in one of her radio shows, I believe, that the final 4 left the ranch (before the 30 days) on February 20, which does bring the return up to March 23.
As much as I've enjoyed this season, it has been rather long, and it's kind of lessened the surprise value of seeing the final 4 at the finale. They pretty much look now how they're going to look then. The only real question is whether Mike can beat Tara...and if it turns out he has the same injury Laura has, Tara's pretty much assured the victory. I wonder if they purposely left out mentioning what exactly Mike's diagnosis was because then people would know that if he had a fracture he'd be out of the running, no pun intended.
:frypan: DUH! I forgot about Ali being pregnant. You make much more sense than I did. I should quit trying to think so hard.

trekkiegirl
05-08-2009, 05:08 PM
NBC put up some more bonus videos, including the four finalists answering questions from the message board over there. Mike actually said if we thought it was weird he didn't go back and walk with his dad it was because they wouldn't let him. :p I was wondering if it was more for the injury or the photo opportunity (aka milking the moment).

kiramira
05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I've asked this before without much response, but it doesn't make sense that the contestants actually go home once eliminated until the final contestants are revealed. If they DID, wouldn't the town they live in be full of the news (as in -- Fred just returned after 3 weeks on TBL...) and this news would be all OVER the net, because you could figure out really early on exactly WHO made it to the finals. Especially since the show is not shown in "real time" -- it is prerecorded weeks if not months in advance. So where do they go in the interim???
Kira

Lizzyg
05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I've wondered that too, Kira. I dont know what they do - as they say on the episodes that when they go home its '24 hours later' or whatever. But I dont think it can be, otherwise, as you said, everyone would know that they didnt win.

One thing that has been bothering me about TBL is the attitude by many of the people on their show that NOW their life can begin. That being fat was holding them back - no they LET being fat hold them back ya know? There have been few things that I've let being overweight keep me from doing - and I'm enjoying life now. I don't get that attitude. And besides anything that they were unhappy about is still going to be there, even after they lose the weight. Weight loss doesn't make everything magically ok.

L144S
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I think they must sign a contract that does not let people know where they have been. They are on the ranch a good 12 + weeksbeforeit even starts airing....

trekkiegirl
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I've asked this before without much response, but it doesn't make sense that the contestants actually go home once eliminated until the final contestants are revealed. If they DID, wouldn't the town they live in be full of the news (as in -- Fred just returned after 3 weeks on TBL...) and this news would be all OVER the net, because you could figure out really early on exactly WHO made it to the finals. Especially since the show is not shown in "real time" -- it is prerecorded weeks if not months in advance. So where do they go in the interim???
Kira

I think they do go home fairly quickly. This season, I kind of knew some of the folks who were getting eliminated early because after the show where Jerry Hayes got eliminated, I read articles where he was asked who he kept in touch with. He mentioned Daniel and Joelle. He said he talked to Daniel "all the time", which told me Daniel must have gone home quickly and had not been sequestered. Also, Shanon got arrested for the flour incident before the season was halfway through, so I knew she wasn't going to make it far either.

I think they must sign a contract that does not let people know where they have been. They are on the ranch a good 12 + weeksbeforeit even starts airing....

I think so. I don't remember which contestant it was (maybe this season, maybe a previous one) who mentioned people had thought she left her husband. But they must be told at some point because they have to set up all those grand homecomings.

Just an aside, I was reading Mike's Facebook wall, and Colleen Skeabach (who will be at the finale) posted that she'd see Mike on Monday, then changed it to Tuesday because he'd be "sequestered." I guess they have them on lockdown for a day or two before the finale! :p BTW, Mike's "friends" list is growing like crazy over there...he's almost up to 3,000 now. It's getting far more activity than Tara's page. The guy has a lot of people voting for him.

One thing that has been bothering me about TBL is the attitude by many of the people on their show that NOW their life can begin.

One thing that's kind of been bothering me is the waiting situation with Max. I don't understand why it seems that Max had to wait 5 months until his brother and father came home to start losing weight. Granted, before they went on the show, they didn't know how to help themselves, much less Max. But he had a mother who had lost a lot of weight. The information and resources are all out there for the taking. They went home for a week for Christmas and I thought maybe a seed was planted, maybe they did something to help Max get started, but then a few weeks later at the makeover, Max said he hadn't really done anything. After they got home, both Mike and Max alluded to Max's lack of enthusiasm. Max didn't appear to show much interest until Bob showed up. Mike's going back to college in a few months. I'm not sure how successful Ron is going to be at taking care of himself, much less Max. It can be easy to get caught up in something with momentum and go along for the ride, but what happens when the ride is over?

zinkemomx2
05-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I definitely got the impression that Max just isn't quite ready yet. If he was he would have been doing something at home to show his dad and brother how well he could do.

Amarantha2
05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I also think the idea that Max is waiting for something is ridiculous. The family has been living this weight issue for probably the whole of Max's 16 years. The father has been obese for the kids' whole lives. He had WLS and you don't have that procedure without long counseling and learning about weight issues, just in case anything would have escaped you in your years of trying to lose weight and finally opting for the surgery.

Ron knew how to lose weight, he knew what he was doing to himself and by his own admission what his situation was doing to the kids. The family must have talked about it, perhaps they took the kids to the doctor, who knows?

The whole idea that ONLY going on a TV reality show was going to teach Ron and Mike how to lose weight so they could then go home and save the younger son from his longstanding obesity that somehow he is too supposedly befuddled to work on using his own initiative (I do know he's very young, still ...) just seems off.

But I do like this family and wish them well. I think this Max is waiting thing is just a TV marketing ploy.

If not, it's a kind of strange dynamic.

Max needs to begin a program NOW.

Jacque9999
05-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Maybe Max will surprise us and have done something and we will see it at the finale. I can't believe the mother hasn't helped the 3 of them before TBL anyway. She seems selfish to me...or maybe they DID need TBL to make a change in their lives...Just MHO.

Amarantha2
05-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Maybe she tried to help them and they didn't want to be helped, so she gave up. :)

Jacque9999
05-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Maybe she tried to help them and they didn't want to be helped, so she gave up. :)

If that is true, then for her effort, she should get mother of the year...NOT!!!

L144S
05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
I won't blame the mother. As the mother of boys sometimes there are things they just can't relate to from the mother and with the father in the house that is who they identify with, If the kid works at a fast food place, which frankly i would not allow, it wouldn't matter what was in the house.

Also the fact that he is waiting around for somone to help him is classic for this gereration of kids. they want it all and will wait for someone to give it to them because they dererve it, ot because they have worked hard for it.

The is a saying,

the difference between winners and losers is the winners are willing to do what losers won't.

Max may be young for the show, but he is not motivated to take care of himself, and until then, he won't be able to do this.

trekkiegirl
05-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I think there have been attempts at helping the kids. Mike mentioned in an interview that he did Kids Weight Watchers but he dropped out. I don't think he places blame on anybody except himself. I know some viewers thought the father/son confrontation was lame, like they expected and wanted to see Mike really go off on Ron, which I thought was kind of sick and rather sad, like they wanted to see Mike really cut down Ron. But I thought what we actually saw was better and more in character with who Mike seems to be. He loves his dad, he didn't want to hurt him, he just wanted to understand. And he never said, why did you make Max and I this way, he just said why couldn't you change? I mean, I feel bad for Ron, too, in having been obese when he was a child, he just continued with what he knew.

I'm hoping we see Max having made some progress Tuesday night. I did get the feeling that, up to this point, whatever he's been doing has been more about not wanting to get left behind, or he's getting caught up in the whole Biggest Loser momentum (Bob's visit, the marathon, etc.). It just seemed weird to me that, in essence, things sort of froze for 5 months, like Max had no other option but to wait for Ron & Mike to come home. He seemed to be a bit annoyed with their attempts anyway. I mean, Max does need external help and guidance but he doesn't seem to be very motivated on his own. Maybe Mike and Ron aren't the answer to helping him in some aspects because they're too close. Mike and Max are reacting to each other's frustrations. Ron is closer to Max's ability level and maybe he can't push him further than he can push himself. I wonder if they're working with a trainer at all at that gym...it seemed like they weren't but that could have been edited out, which also is strange because we've seen other finalists throughout the seasons working with trainers before the finale. Why are they making it seem like Mike is the one who's got the responsibility of helping Max? They've really been laying things heavily on Mike. Bob pressured him to be Ron's savior and now he's got to help Max.

Amarantha2
05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I think it's just for dramatic effect that the show is making it look like only Mike can help Max.

It's a rather silly storyline if you ask me and I hate to see Max made the object of it.

If he really IS not self-motivated and just hanging around feeling sorry for himself and waiting for Mike to come and save him, he needs someone to intervene and get his thinking in a different direction.

Hard to say. Viewers are just watching a play here. They don't really know these people, all they know about them are their weights.

MindiV
05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I find myself wondering if they've got Max "on hold" for another Biggest Loser season when he's of age. A lot of America has taken to HIM more than Mike and Ron, and they may be setting him up for the next season, if he'll be of age. Or like someone said on here earlier....a BL Teens-type season.

Kimphin
05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Does anyone know - did their mom have weight loss surgery too?

RayStar
05-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I definitely got the impression that Max just isn't quite ready yet. If he was he would have been doing something at home to show his dad and brother how well he could do.
I agree. Max has had a couple of months to do something about his weight. I'm sure he watched the program weekly. Once he stops feeling sorry for himself he will succeed.

MindiV
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I still worry a LOT about Max. I think no matter HOW much Mike, Ron and the mom help them when this is over it may end up with him discouraged. I mean...a normal person with a normal life, like Max has, isn't able to work out eight hours a day and live in an environment without access to bad foods. I mean...Max can't even go to school and be safe from coke machines and snack foods (in most schools at least). Mike and Ron were in a strictly controlled environment with trainers and doctors and lost a TON of weight in a relatively short time. I hope hope I'm wrong, but I worry that Max will lose a normal amount of weight per week, compare that to the massive amounts Mike and Ron lost in the same amount of time, and figure HE can't do it without "the Ranch." In this case, I think the BL is totally setting this kid up with inflated expectations.

Amarantha2
05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I also think Max is in the mindset that he can't "do it" without the ranch. A lot of the contestants seem to feel that way and truthfully, it just isn't so, for an adult or child. I like this show and think it is as well handled as it is possible to do and is helpful to viewers because it brings awareness to the various problems of obesity and weight management but despite the challenges in real life, it is my opinion, that ANYONE (with some medical exceptions) can lose weight and more or less keep it off (with some inevitable ups and downs) by rational means and without any help at all (although it's preferred to be under medical supervision).

A lot of people (esp. me) get into the feeling sorry for themselves place that Max seems to be in right now and in that place one DOESN'T believe achieving a sane weight is possible and yea, I'd worry about Max also.

That said, I also think the show is planning to get him on there.

It's really hard to say. We don't actually know anything about Max, what kind of kid he is, what his potential is. BL fans just keep talking online about this boy and hopefully this isn't harming him.

He seems like a nice kid.

sportmom
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Max is holding on to his weight for his chance at the ranch. Why give up the weight now and ruin his chance at being TBL? He doesn't want to show up there weighing any less than his max (ha ha) weight. Sad, but probably true.

MindiV
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Max is holding on to his weight for his chance at the ranch. Why give up the weight now and ruin his chance at being TBL? He doesn't want to show up there weighing any less than his max (ha ha) weight. Sad, but probably true.

I tend to agree...I think he's holding out for TBL, and I think TBL WANTS him on there as well...

Jacque9999
05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I tend to agree...I think he's holding out for TBL, and I think TBL WANTS him on there as well...

IMHO, I think that is stupid...why wait...he should do it NOW....or better yet, he should have done it while watching the show....that's what got me started. He wasted alot of time!!! On another note, Janga, I just saw your starting weight and current weight.,...THAT'S AWESOME!!!

suzie42
05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I totally agree. He should have been starting while the show was airing.

Hi everyone! I'm new to the thread/site but started reading through posts the other day when I discovered this site, which is wonderful BTW. :)

~Suzie
Who's looking forward to the finale tonight!

Platinum
05-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm excited to watch it! Right now actually! :)

babes315
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I thought that, on one of the shows, they said that Max did lose some weight, but of course it wasn't "Biggest Loser" numbers, more like 20 pounds?

I did actually read that Bob is trying to get Max on the next season of the Biggest Loser: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/05/12/can-the-biggest-losers-stay-thin.aspx .

Edit: Max HAS lost 20 pounds according to Ron (http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/05/interview-with-biggest-losers-ron-morelli-and-mike-morelli/). 20 pounds in 7 weeks does take effort, so I think he is trying.

I think we need to give this poor kid some slack. He never knew anything different and he, unlike his dad and brother, did NOT sign up to be in the spotlight.

dixied
05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Slightly off topic, but I'm watching the finale and I LOVE Ali's blue dress. I want one. Anyone know who dresses her?

willow650
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! Jerry lost 177 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in shock

Puccikat
05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Jerry is Awesome!!! He's come a longggggg way!

willow650
05-12-2009, 11:07 PM
YAY JERRY!!! and YAY RON He is below 200 for almost the first time ever in his life.

amynbebes
05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Congrats to Jerry and I'm wowed by Kristen :)

SweetScrumptious
05-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Well.. that was a total shocker. Not expecting that outcome at all.

Way to go Helen... but I think I'm a bit sadden that Tara didn't get it. SOO CLOSE!

willow650
05-13-2009, 12:05 AM
I so DID NOT want Helen to win :(

amynbebes
05-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I really wanted Mike to win but Tara if he didn't. Her face totally fell as soon as her weight came up, broke my heart.

cher37
05-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Definitely congrats go to Helen - but I do think that Tara deserved the win (especially since all the challenges she won AND she was never below the yellow line!!!!!!)

... does anyone else think that Helen looks sickly (like she starved herself?)

zinkemomx2
05-13-2009, 12:12 AM
:cry:

I really wish they would do a season where the lowest percentage went home every week. No votes. If you are at the bottom you go home. End. Of. Story.

loriehohlf
05-13-2009, 12:15 AM
... does anyone else think that Helen looks sickly (like she starved herself?)

I thought the same thing. She lost what...30 lbs at home?

amynbebes
05-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I agree, Helen did look unhealthy.

Amarantha2
05-13-2009, 03:39 AM
I thought Helen looked great! :)

Was sorry Mike didn't win, though, and not commenting on Tara other than she did a fabulous job on the show and won every challenge so guess it was her turn to lose.

Love Ron but was glad that the oldest man there won the at-home prize as BL sometimes seems to be just about the young and they constantly mention people's ages in somewhat a negative way, in my opinion. It was good to see an older person win something.

Jacque9999
05-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm furious that Helen won!!! I so wanted it to be Mike and was hoping that Ron would have beaten Jerry in the end. Jerry lost alot of weight but didn't anyone think Jerry looked awful and sort of weird? The more I watched the weirder he looked and sort of acted to. Just MHO. The look on Tara's face was priceless when she didn't win. Darn Helen...she was the ONLY one I didn't want to see win. I was also hoping that that Max would have looked like he lost something and/or Ally would have talked with him for a minute.

On a positive note, they all did great and should be very proud of themselves.

MindiV
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Helen DID look odd...maybe too much Botox around the forehead/eye area?

I think the producers would've loved a Mike or Tara outcome much more, just as many of us would have....

suzie42
05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
I really thought it would be either Mike or Tara, but Helen winning was a surprise for me!
BOY! I was shocked when she walked out, thihnking she couldn't have lost much more than she already had but....She looked like she'd been fasting or something because she was tiny and you could just see the look on Mike and Tara's face that they were in trouble.

Each of the contestants go through some drama on the show, but any of the 3 that were in the running in the end winning, was well deserved.

All and all I thought this was a really good season! I enjoyed it!

bindersbee
05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Helen is the least 'commercially viable' contestant. I don't really care for her personality but she did work very hard and earned the win. I had hoped to see Tara win.

Ultimately, I think it's kind of like American Idol in that you don't have to 'win' it to have a viable career. A lot of the contestants are able to turn their BL experience into cash and careers. Tara works in the beauty industry, doesn't she? Like for L'Oreal or something? It wouldn't surprise me to see her featured on their commercials etc. Mike can probably turn his experience into a college scholarship etc.

The upside to Helen winning (and Jerry too) is that it provides hope and decreases the age excuse for older adults. Weight loss can be achieved at any age which is a good message. Jerry did look a little odd with all the extra skin- as did Helen- but that's a weight loss reality and I'm glad we got to see it. I think they had Mike in a girdle when he was in his street clothes because his chest was sort puffed up weird. I suspect he has some loose skin issues around the middle.

MindiV
05-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I think they had Mike in a girdle when he was in his street clothes because his chest was sort puffed up weird. I suspect he has some loose skin issues around the middle.

I thought the same thing...to lose as much as he did, as fast as he did, even at 18, he would've had WAY more loose skin than it looked like he had.

Lori Bell
05-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I thought Helen's body looked GREAT....her face and hair looked terrible. She looked 20 years older. YUCK.

Mike looked HOT. I was so happy for him. I also thought Kristen's mom...can't remember her name, looked FAB! WOW, she is sure a pretty "Mom". Kristin looked good, but her hair issues....yikes! I'm glad Tara didn't win...I still think she gained all the weight to be on the show...of course MHO.

Oh and I loved Allison's Blue dress too....So did my dh...He said something like..."Wow she's got 3 little moles and 2 big mole hills." LOL ;)

Oh and we both thought Jerry maybe had a few cocktails before the show...since it's a fake scale and all. He seemed a little "tipsy" :)

Lizzyg
05-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I thought Jerry looked a little sickly too - and said to my husband, I hope he didn't lose all that weight because he IS sick - with cancer or something. But I thought it was cool that the oldest guy there won :)

What was with all the fake tans, and non flattering dresses? Carla's dress was awful, and she looked thinner in the work out clothes. Mandy's dress was the prettiest, but I was not loving all that stretch satin they had going on there. I think they need a new stylist on the show :p

I really wanted Mike or Tara to win. And I agree Helen did NOT look healthy at all. She looked really old.

sportmom
05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
OK, when Dr. Zunega was reading off the list of all the ailments that Jerry had lost by losing weight one after the other, everyone in my house said, yes, he's lost all those problems but now he's CRAZY! That man was a freaking LOON out there - maybe drinking or maybe just mental, but my gosh. Even his wife had to calm him down and get him to listen at one point and then drag him off the stage to change. When they announced him at 64 half way thru (the bday), I was like really??? He looks 74. He looked awful.

They ALL looked odd, even Tara. She had some kind of a comb back from her crown that made her hair look like a wig. She looks completely different in the face. Yikes.

What is GOING ON in the hair salons in Wisconsin?? Kristen looked.......well, like she had just come in from her dancing job, I'm sorry. Those earrings? As my innocent little 9 yo daughter said when I asked if did she think Kristen lost alot more, she said, "Mom, I can't even get past the hair to look at the body." LOL OMG out of the mouth of babes -- she totally summed it up though!!! These "reverse mullets" as I call them and the Kate Goslin haircuts :rolleyes: - I mean, who really wants to emulate Kate Goslin? :lol3:

Well, good for Helen, but yes, I think they will all be swelling up by at least 20 lbs by the weekend. Well, maybe except for Ron, he looked about the same. And Max did not lose anything in the month since the last show. And 20 lbs in 7 weeks? Well, BL style or not, a kid that big can lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks just by cutting out the soda, fast food, and snacks. Seriously. Watch any of the shows in discovery about how quickly 400 lb people can drop weight. No excuses, but it's his choice to try to win the show. He does come from a family of strategic game-players. Ron is probably coaching him on what to do already. ;)

Lori Bell
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
What was with all the fake tans, and non flattering dresses? Carla's dress was awful, and she looked thinner in the work out clothes. Mandy's dress was the prettiest, but I was not loving all that stretch satin they had going on there. I think they need a new stylist on the show :p...

I totally agree. I think they probably wear that clingy stuff to show off their bodies, but after losing 100 +/- very quickly, their bodies have a while to go before they look good in form fitting clothes. I thought Mandy looked very pretty and feminine. Most of the others looked like they were ready for a Rave or something.

Amarantha2
05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I also thought Jerry looked older than his years and was a wee bit overexcited or something, but whatever skin issues he had or anything, he has to be better off at a lower weight than where he was before.

Personally I thought Helen just looked fantastic. I've been reading a lot of unkind comments on the different forums (not this one, not referring to this forum, there are ones with meaner comments being posted) regarding her looking sickly, having batwings (that can happen to any woman, in fact MOST women are at least a little challenged in that area), etc., etc., I just don't see it, think she has improved her health and image and self-esteem by a major weight loss that many people, sometimes even the ones calling her sickly, might wish they had achieved. She's not my favorite person and I'd have loved to see her put her daughter first in this but she looks great to me. :lol: Good for her.

I also agree with someone up thread that it's easier to lose weight at 400 pounds than 140 pounds, so now the battle really begins for some of these people.

Also agree with comments I've seen on forums (not necessarily this one) that I don't really like the hairstyles and clothing choices made by either the people on BL or I assume foisted on them by the show in an attempt to glam them up. Just regular nice clothes and neat normal hair would seem to me to soften them so much following the rigors of this weight loss situation.

Perhaps my ideas about fashion and personal image are sadly outdated and pedestrian, but ...

Lizzyg
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
What is GOING ON in the hair salons in Michigan?? Kristen looked.......well, like she had just come in from her dancing job, I'm sorry.

I thought Kristen was from WI??

But yeah, I agree, I did not like her hair.

sportmom
05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
You are correct! I have edited to fix -- apologies to all my great friends in Michigan!

It just occurred to me, and I hope it's not true, but i wonder if Helen went back to smoking once she got home. :shrug: could help in the weight loss......... I only even say this bc she fell so quickly back to it during that one nite out drinking WITH the team-mates. What would home present in the way of challenge?

Lizzyg
05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
:D lol I was going to say, dont blame that hairstyle on us michiganders! :) :p:lol:

bandit2
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi - I thought Jerry looked terrible & was hard to have to keep looking at him.
I wanted Tara to win since Helen put herself before her daughter, can't imagine mothers doing that & I thought she looked very tired & drawn, much older looking than her years.

Mike looked great & I really think he can maintain this lifestyle.

I think they all did fabulous - as we all know it is really hard to lose & maintain weight losses.

micasa2grls
05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Helen definitely has a banging body now. I hate that they keep pointing out her age. I am 32 but I do NOT see 48 as that old, not at all. If she were closer to 60 then I would see it but I know plenty of people in their mid to late 40's that are very active or who have lost weight. So to point out her age as a factor...I hated that.

Her face though...looks weird. She looks very old now, too thin in the face. I can't fault her for the loose skin because it happens to everyone who loses that much weight, especially that fast. I was SO mad that she won...poor Mike and even tara...were 5 pounds away.

Jerry looked good but acted so weird. I think he was just extremely excited. I am not sure how I would behave in front of that many people or on live tv in front of millions though. lol

Poor Dan and Dave. Well, not so much Dan because he lost a ton of weight, at least he is trying. But if I were Dave, I wouldn't have even bothered to show up. Jeez, has he even tried?

And Aubrey....I dunno. She didn't lose that much at all. I feel like she is holding on to the "mother of 5" excuse too much. My sister has 5 kids and works full time but she still takes her butt to the gym every night after work for an hour.

I will try not to be judgemental, bad me. lol

dixied
05-13-2009, 12:59 PM
What is GOING ON in the hair salons in Wisconsin?? Kristen looked.......well, like she had just come in from her dancing job, I'm sorry. Those earrings? As my innocent little 9 yo daughter said when I asked if did she think Kristen lost alot more, she said, "Mom, I can't even get past the hair to look at the body." LOL OMG out of the mouth of babes -- she totally summed it up though!!! These "reverse mullets" as I call them and the Kate Goslin haircuts :rolleyes: - I mean, who really wants to emulate Kate Goslin? :lol3:

Don't hold back, tell me what you really think of my hair. :D I'll admit to having a variation of that style. Its great for me, because my hair it really thick, so the extra short back keeps me from dying too much in the FL heat. The longer front still looks girly though. Reverse mullet is a great phrase though.

canadianwoman
05-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I thought Helen's body looked GREAT....her face and hair looked terrible. She looked 20 years older. YUCK.

I thought she looked dehydrated. It did make her look aged.

I was also wondering what was up with Jerry. He did seem weird now and again.

sportmom
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't see that style at all when I look at you Dee! Plus even so, it's not the complete effect unless you have gone platinum blonde overnite or choose the skunk streaks that Kate G favors! It's a combo look, not just the cut.

dixied
05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't see that style at all when I look at you Dee! Plus even so, it's not the complete effect unless you have gone platinum blonde overnite or choose the skunk streaks that Kate G favors! It's a combo look, not just the cut.

My avatar is before the last cut (and oddly I can't change it this morning). I promise to never try platnium or streaks. I don't want to hijack the thread, I'll post a new pic over on one of the usual threads.

I'm thrilled that an older woman won BL, but I wish it had been a different older woman. And Jerry was odd.

I'd bet both Mike and Helen have loose skin issues. At one point during Tara's weigh-in the camera caught Helen in a sideways stance, and you could see what looked like a roll. Obviously not a fat roll at 117 lbs, but it could have been skin. Not sure if they can wear Spanx under their weigh-in clothes. ;)

willow650
05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
you know they were probably all mostly dehydrated. I would assume that was Jerry's issue, that and nerves. hopefully they all got some Gatorade after the show

angeline
05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I think they had Mike in a girdle when he was in his street clothes because his chest was sort puffed up weird. I suspect he has some loose skin issues around the middle.

I totally agree...and he walked kinda funny...sort of wiggled his lower half.

canadianwoman
05-13-2009, 01:48 PM
you know they were probably all mostly dehydrated. I would assume that was Jerry's issue, that and nerves. hopefully they all got some Gatorade after the show

The real weigh ins were probably done off camera like they do with the show episodes so there would be no reason for them not to eat and drink through the day of the finale.

QuilterInVA
05-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I really wanted Mike to win but I'm okay with Helen. I am glad Tara lost. She was getting too cocky thinking no one could beat her. Helen is too thin for a fact. Her face looks terrible. I hope Mike gets some product endorsements at least. He wants to be a doctor and that's going to take a lot of money. I think Max will be a contestant next season. Poor kid is going to have to work a lot harder because he has his Dad and his brother to live up to.

Aubrey will be like a lot of people, making excuses and gaining it all back. You would think she'd be preparing healthy meals and teaching her kids good eating habits so they didn't have to go through what she has.

One thing about Jerry winning, maybe now people see that it can be done at home since he only had the ranch for 2 weeks. He must have learned something there.

Anyone know when the next season starts?

Amarantha2
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
My general conclusion during the regular season is the weigh-ins are done 20 minutes or so before the one filmed, so if they held true to that procedure with this one, the contestants might actually have refrained from eating or hydrating that day, which definitely could explain Jerry's kind of "off" mood.

Amarantha2
05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Dixied, I love your hair style.

Lori Bell
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I still think Jerry was drunk...LOL His wife however looked really good. She actually looked younger to me.

L144S
05-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Jillian said on her radio show that the WI is done in the morning, the contestants meet with the Drs. have blood test,blood pressure, and all kinds of other tests and they can then pick the order for WI at night. It also explains how the confetti last night was pink and why the camera cut right to helen at the WI last night. No suprises for the producers at all.

trying2Bbuff
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I was really annoyed at the outcome last night. I wanted Mike to win. When Helen came out, my immediate thought was that she looked anorexic. Her head looked too big for her body, and she was holding herself weird, like she was posing but not very well. I'm guessing she's at least 5'7" since she was the same height in her flip flops as Ali in her heels. At that height, 117 is waaay to thin.

I have a love/hate relationship with the show; I get so frustrated with what the producers put the contestants through (switching trainers, some of the challenges, etc.) but I get sucked in and want to see what happens. Not sure yet if I'll watch next season.

Amarantha2
05-13-2009, 04:31 PM
:lol: , Jerry did seem a little drunk, actually.

That's funny about the pink confetti. It was white on my TV, maybe they are showing different versions of the show in different markets. Or maybe my TV is out of whack.

I never thought of Helen as tall, she seems much shorter at least than Tara and shorter than her daughter.

I didn't realize her weight was 117, wasn't paying that much attention after Mike didn't win.

That seems like a generally healthy weight to me, but everyone looks at weight differently and has different perceptions, I guess, as to whether other people look or are too heavy, too thin or just right. I know for me it seems to have to do with how I am feeling personally at a given moment and how I view myself.

Amarantha2
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
She did look good and happy. She seemed a little nervous about Jerry, though.

I'm glad they won that money. They seem like nice people.

I still think Jerry was drunk...LOL His wife however looked really good. She actually looked younger to me.

Jacque9999
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
everyone in my house said, yes, he's lost all those problems but now he's CRAZY! That man was a freaking LOON out there - maybe drinking or maybe just mental, but my gosh. Even his wife had to calm him down and get him to listen at one point and then drag him off the stage to change. When they announced him at 64 half way thru (the bday), I was like really??? He looks 74. He looked awful.

They ALL looked odd, even Tara. She had some kind of a comb back from her crown that made her hair look like a wig. She looks completely different in the face. Yikes.

OMG out of the mouth of babes -- she totally summed it up though!!! These "reverse mullets" as I call them and the Kate Goslin haircuts :rolleyes: - I mean, who really wants to emulate Kate Goslin? :lol3:

You are cracking me up!!! I TOTALLY agree with all you said. Tara = Freak...Jerry=Odd Freak....Yeah WHO DOES what to look like Kate??

It just occurred to me, and I hope it's not true, but i wonder if Helen went back to smoking once she got home. :shrug: could help in the weight loss......... I only even say this bc she fell so quickly back to it during that one nite out drinking WITH the team-mates. What would home present in the way of challenge?

I wouldn't be surprised...that and starving herself!!!

Helen definitely has a banging body now. I hate that they keep pointing out her age. I am 32 but I do NOT see 48 as that old, not at all. If she were closer to 60 then I would see it but I know plenty of people in their mid to late 40's that are very active or who have lost weight. So to point out her age as a factor...I hated that.

Poor Dan and Dave. Well, not so much Dan because he lost a ton of weight, at least he is trying. But if I were Dave, I wouldn't have even bothered to show up. Jeez, has he even tried?

And Aubrey....I dunno. She didn't lose that much at all. I feel like she is holding on to the "mother of 5" excuse too much. My sister has 5 kids and works full time but she still takes her butt to the gym every night after work for an hour.

I am almost Helen's age and NOBODY thinks I look as old as her. Yeah she's in her late 40's and lost lots of weight, BUT, she looks creepy and OLD.

I don't know why Dave showed up....probably because it was in the contract.

Aubrey...When she walked out, I thought she was PREGNANT!!! I know it must be hard with all that she has on her plate, but I thought for sure, Allyson was going to say Aubrey was preggers!!!!!

jajabee
05-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Ugh! Well, I watched one entire season of TBL... that's enough for me. I loved watching them lose weight and push themselves in the gym and challenges, that was awesome, but the rest of it, ugh! I can't stand the slimy producers, with all the product placements and flat-out lies about how long things took or whether or not someone actually did what they show them as doing... the fact that Helen won by being UNHEALTHY just seals the deal for me, I can't watch any more of this show.

Does anyone else watch 30 Rock? Whenever Jack or the other GE bigwigs try to slip in more product placements and "synergy", I'm like, aaaaagh! This is actually happening!!! :P

Phyxius79
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I saw an add last night for a new show on Oxygen called 'dance your a** off' It is a combo of TBL and dancing with the stars. I wonder how that one will be.

I just started watching TBL in February. I am so glad I did not see the whole season. Way way way too much drama. I get hooked though. I dvr or tivo it and skip alot though, it helps with all that stuff.

Congrats to all of the contestants who lost so much weight. It is so great to see. I think Mandi looked fabulous. She was my favorite. I hope they all feel some self acomplishment today!

I live 30 minutes from Greenville, WI and my hair is straigh, long and all one color. Not sure where Kristen goes for her hair. Plus they way she talks, I am not sure I know many people who talk like that either. I am not sure what is up with her but she did lose an amazing amount of weight.

amynbebes
05-13-2009, 07:14 PM
According the the website Helen is 5'6.
I think Jerry maybe acted odd because of a combo of dehydration, possibly lack of any substantial food and nerves.
And I'm sorry but I'm sooooo sick of hearing Aubrey blame her inability to lose weight on having 5 kids. I'm no superwoman nor do I claim to be but I have 5 kids, work 40 hrs a week and am in school full-time and still manage to find the time to eat healthy.

Jacque9999
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
According the the website Helen is 5'6.
I think Jerry maybe acted odd because of a combo of dehydration, possibly lack of any substantial food and nerves.
And I'm sorry but I'm sooooo sick of hearing Aubrey blame her inability to lose weight on having 5 kids. I'm no superwoman nor do I claim to be but I have 5 kids, work 40 hrs a week and am in school full-time and still manage to find the time to eat healthy.

She is way too thin then...I expect her to gain ALOT back...if not all. Yeah Aubrey had that kid excuse....if she is such a devoted mother then why didn't she do it at home like the rest of us. I couldn't nor would I ever want to leave my kids for months like that...and they are almost out of the house.

Platinum
05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I think it's too bad that they only take weight into account for the final results. because some of those guys would probably of weighed a whole lot less if they hadn't had bulked up and gotten such nice big muscles. There's no way a young guy whose been working out and getting buff can compete against an older lean but thin woman. It should be about who had the best transformation in terms of a healthier body. Like who converted the most fat % to muscle %. But I guess for men & women that wouldn't be fair either. I think Helen looked awesome and is now the envy of all 40 something fat ladies everywhere but you can't really compare here to that other young guy or girl that were in the finale either. (i didn't really watch the last month or so, so I don't know their names of the top of my head) The makeup of their bodies is just too different. My concern is now this show is going to inspire a bunch weight-loss maintainers into people with eating disorders if someone as thin as Helen wins. Cuz it may be just fine for her body but for some people that would be very unhealthy. I think that girl shoulda one, she looked radiant and healthy in her skin not frail.

L144S
05-13-2009, 09:27 PM
it is not about weight it is about % lost which put everyone on an alomost level playing field. Most of these contestants could lose 50% of their starting weight. but for some 50% is more pounds than another's 50% but it was fair for all of them and they all gained muscle in the process.

saef
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I did not have a good feeling after Helen won. The show is very cheesy-looking when it's live, isn't it? Far more so than when they're on the ranch & it's taped & edited. My "not good" feeling lasted most of today. In fact, I was avoiding any forums where people would be talking about the show, until now. I think two seasons of watching it were enough for me & I am probably done now. People get injured on this show. The producers play fast & loose with chronology. The contestants get down to unsafe weights possibly by using unhealthy measures because of the financial incentives & the possibility of fame. I am sure some of them come out with eating disorders when it's done. Yeah, I think I am done. These aspects finally outweighed my exhilaration at seeing heavy people working hard & learning what they're capable of doing. My love/hate thing about this show just got resolved & it didn't go to "love." :-( Oh, well. I'll miss Jillian.

kiramira
05-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Helen looked ill. Jerry looked dehydrated and way way older than his 64 years. The live back-stage work-outs with Jillian and Bob was ridiculous -- they can't possibly enjoy being the producers' performing monkeys in this way. They should have been onstage encouraging the contestants on their way...
Tara should have won. Mike was wearing a weirdo girdle. Bizarre final show...things that make me go hmmmmm....
Kira

kelly315
05-13-2009, 11:54 PM
arg, I can't believe it ended that way. It was a good season till Helen won- what a terrible woman.

nbrown7384
05-14-2009, 01:04 AM
love the season. hate the finale. mike should have won. he's hot!
no more live finales with winners. helen did look horrible. well now she'll be able to pay her daughter's legal bills after that flour incident right?

they should focus on healthy habits with the show, following the contestants more through their time off the ranch. I would have also liked to hear from all the contestants, espcially aubrey, nicole, carla and laura about their respective challenges. we didn't even hear from laura about her injury after all that drama on the show. Aubrey did look preggers! But Mandi looked sooo cute. Shame on Dan and Blane for flaunting their medals.... boo.

i think jerry is just a weird guy period and we just didn't get to see that side of him on the show b/c of his health issue and then being voted off so soon. It was cool to see him win though, although I thought krisitin won for a second after she weighed in. I don't think he starved himself or anything, is just an orney old man with a life to live now.

so my guess is that next season is a youngest biggest loser season or a college edition, based on all the stuff with max and the two young girls being voted on for the next season.

MariaMaria
05-14-2009, 05:23 AM
There's no way a young guy whose been working out and getting buff can compete against an older lean but thin woman.

Four of the seven winners, and of six of the seven at home winners, have been men. The other women who won were in their 20s and early 30s. So, no on both counts.

Hun.e.B
05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
arg, I can't believe it ended that way. It was a good season till Helen won- what a terrible woman.

Why is she a terrible woman? She worked her butt off to lose that weight.

MindiV
05-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't think Helen is a terrible person...I just don't like her personality. Some think she's a terrible person and/or mom for sending her daughter home...but to me her daughter didn't WANT to be there, or at least I don't remember her really acting like she did. Seems as though they were there for the game a LOT...but then again, it IS a game at its very core.

willow650
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
WOW . Can you imagine if anyone was saying these about you, that you are saying about them? I think about the mean and rude things that are said to and about some of the posters that come here to the board to vent then hear yall doing the same thing about this group of people but i guess because these people are on tv, playing a game, yall think your justified??? After all the hard work Kristin put in, all some of you can do is tear her down about her hair? Seriously, why is that important? She likes to do wild and crazy things with her, its hair, who cares??

L144S
05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think she is horrible, certainly not in the company of lets say VICKY and we only get to see some of what happens on the ranch. Shannon, who clearly is has a mind of her own may not have wanted it as baddly, went through texting withdrawls and really needed to get back to her life abd couldn't cut it and found a way to get out. Helen had her daughter early and now had an opportunity to help herself. I would like to think that she made the right choice and I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

I liked this season, there were the ones I was glad to see go home (aubrey and Joelle) and others I am still hoping continue Dan, Kristen) but I felt this season was about regaining life rather than about the gamming manipulation of last season.

zinkemomx2
05-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Well said Willow!

Jacque9999
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
WOW . Can you imagine if anyone was saying these about you, that you are saying about them? I think about the mean and rude things that are said to and about some of the posters that come here to the board to vent then hear yall doing the same thing about this group of people but i guess because these people are on tv, playing a game, yall think your justified??? After all the hard work Kristin put in, all some of you can do is tear her down about her hair? Seriously, why is that important? She likes to do wild and crazy things with her, its hair, who cares??

I think everyone here is just stating their opinion...which they are intitled to. Just MHO

Lori Bell
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
In my opinion if you are tough enough to appear on international TV weighing 250 to 350+ pounds in a sports bra and stretch pants, you are tough enough to deal with Internet gossip...I mean really, it's an attention thing...good or bad they can't care or they wouldn't do it. Kristin bleached her hair white so that we would all notice her...and we did! Mission accomplished. I bet it won't stay that way for long....it was different weekly.

Sheila53
05-14-2009, 04:03 PM
So I have the opportunity to go to an open house today for the two yellow sisters (Mandi and Aubrey). If I go (I have a meeting around that time), I'll find out if Aubrey is pregnant as a previous poster speculated and let you know. Hopefully the place won't be too packed. The notice in the paper was pretty small, but if I saw it, I imagine lots of other people did, too.

Jacque9999
05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
So I have the opportunity to go to an open house today for the two yellow sisters (Mandi and Aubrey). If I go (I have a meeting around that time), I'll find out if Aubrey is pregnant as a previous poster speculated and let you know. Hopefully the place won't be too packed. The notice in the paper was pretty small, but if I saw it, I imagine lots of other people did, too.

Can't wait to hear what you find out. I was the one who thought she was pregnant when she walked out on stage. She probably isn't or they would have said something. Have fun!!!

kiramira
05-14-2009, 05:09 PM
The comment about how men with muscle mass can't compete against leaner older women made me laugh my piehole off!

It wasn't that long ago, like for the first 4 seasons!, where the general consensus was that a woman COULDN'T win because they started the contest at a lower overall body weight and with a much slower metabolism than any of the men!!!

As for the winners: here's the list --
2004 Season 1: Ryan, age 36: start 330 lbs, end 208 lbs
2005 Season 2: Matt, age 28: start 339 lbs, end 182 lbs
2006 Season 3: Erik, age 35: start 407 lbs, end 193 lbs
2007 Season 4: Bill, age 40: start 334 lbs, end 170 lbs
2008 TBL Couples: Ali, age 32: start 234 lbs, end 122 lbs
2008 TBL Families: Michelle, age 26: start 242 lbs, end 132 lbs
2009 TBL Couples 2: Helen, age 47: start 257, end 117 lbs

Funny how perceptions change! Before last year, all the winners were men with really large start weights.

Kira

junebug41
05-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Oh, please.

I didn't realize that I wasn't on a public message board discussing a reality show. My bad.

And yes, I think Kristen looks fabulous, but her hair..... oh my.

Amarantha2
05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Responding to Willow: I like your post, although I still want Kristen to go back to her other hair :) .

I'm a big BL fan and sometimes have said rude things about the people because one just gets caught up in them as TV characters, but you are right, they are people.

But some of the boards are worse than others in regard to this kind of thing. One doesn't expect it on 3FC as much as some other places but there it is. I imagine the BL participants probably don't care or deliberately don't read the stuff.

One thing I've noticed on all the BL boards is that if someone comes on and says something like, well, Helen looked good, hurray for Helen, that gets people defensive and they start in coming back to the thread and adding more comments about how bad Helen looks, etc. :lol: And so it goes.

But I personally feel your post is nice and you are right.

sportmom
05-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Speaking of Helen, did anyone catch her on QVC with Alli (the contestant) last nite? Allie was on right after the finale, and then again last nite, but I about fell out of my chair when I saw Helen with her. She must be exhausted to fly from Ca to Pa to work the live show last nite! Anyway, I have to report that she looked awesome. Had a nice white wrap sweater type thingee on with a colored cami peeking out at the neck with slacks and heels. She and Allie were so cute at the close, they were literally holding hands off and on the whole hour and at the end while they were doing the product review and they weren't on camera, they forgot to cut the mikes cuz you could hear 2 people saying muffled "I love yous" to each other. I only figured it out when they came back out to the set and they had their arms around each other. It was very heartwarming. Helen didn't look at all too skinny on QVC with some normal daytime clothing on. She looked really good. Perhaps she had rehydrated. I'll see if I can find a shot of them together from the website.

Here, follow this link, and then click to watch the video.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.V28211.desc.Biggest-Loser-Body-Fat-Digital-Scale-wDaily-CaloricReferenc

Hun.e.B
05-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Well said Willow and I couldnt agree more!!

Sheridan
05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
I agree with those who feel Helen should have cared more for her daughter who still needs to lose weight. Most Moms would have let the girl stay . Biggest loser-yes but best Mother-Not !

Sheridan

Hun.e.B
05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Where is it written that when you become a mother you cease to exist as a human being? There is such a thing as needing to take care of yourself so that you can take care of others. The daughter didnt want to be there, the daughter is a grown woman. We didnt see the whole conversation between those two, how do you know that she wouldnt have gone willingly had the daughter WANTED to stay? It shocks me how judgemental and hateful people are about decisions people make, just because they arent the decisions you would make doesnt make them wrong.

Edited to add: It seems the line of thinking around here is that a mother isnt allowed to think about herself, lose weight and get healthy until her children are healthy and thin. Otherwise she's a terrible person and mother, which if thats the case I better call my mother and tell her to cancel her WLS because its putting a burden on me and she needs to focus on my weightloss first. Now if she dies in the meantime while I decide to do this for myself (being a grown woman) I guess thats just tough cookies.

Diva
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Well said Willow I totally agree with you.

I don't think she is horrible, certainly not in the company of lets say VICKY and we only get to see some of what happens on the ranch. Shannon, who clearly is has a mind of her own may not have wanted it as baddly, went through texting withdrawls and really needed to get back to her life abd couldn't cut it and found a way to get out. Helen had her daughter early and now had an opportunity to help herself. I would like to think that she made the right choice and I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

I liked this season, there were the ones I was glad to see go home (aubrey and Joelle) and others I am still hoping continue Dan, Kristen) but I felt this season was about regaining life rather than about the gamming manipulation of last season.

I don't think Helen was horrible either, clearly her daughter did not want it as much as Helen. Why is this Helene's fault? Why is is not ok for Helen to want to better herself? Her daughter is a grown woman!

I agree with those who feel Helen should have cared more for her daughter who still needs to lose weight. Most Moms would have let the girl stay . Biggest loser-yes but best Mother-Not !

Sheridan

I guess we weren't watching the same show.

It still amazes me how much 3FC has changed....nuff said.

sportmom
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Shame on Dan and Blane for flaunting their medals.... boo.

Just wanted to point out that I believe these are medals that they won AFTER the controversy. There was so much ill feeling over the TBL-staged marathon that he commented that he had since run several other races, and I think THAT was why he was bringing his "real" finisher medals to the show to kind of close that loop. Maybe that still upsets you, I don't know, but I thought maybe you thought there were from the one where they got the help from the producers. I wasnt' bothered by him just trying to clear the air on that situation.

kiramira
05-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey, if I got some medals for completing half- and full-marathons, I'd be wearing them, not holding them in my hands. That is such an accomplishment, especially after the whole "he rode in a car and didn't do the half-marathon" controversy this season. He and ANYONE who runs those distances deserves a huge whoot!!!

Kira

Sheridan
05-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I will maintain that in this great country we are each (that means me as well as you) to have an opinion. I respect that you would vote Helen as Mother of the Year but please respect my opinion that I would not.

The daughter did not seem to want to leave from her comments in my opinion. Helen said the girl wanted to leave. You may be correct but do not judge my opinion since you apparently feel judgment is wrong unless, of course, it is you doing the judging. Chill out-who really cares anyway!

Gee, maybe you are Helen and that is why you know everything.

It is just a game folks- stay happy whatever your opinion!

Sheridan

vixjean
05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
OMG - Helen looks amazing, she is a size 2 now. I read it in people magazine. She looks very small, much like Ali did 2 seasons ago - but I don't think she looks anorexic. I am so proud of her for overcoming so much. It is great to see someone her age beat out all the younger ones. She is the oldest winner ever. GO HELEN!

sportmom
05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Has anyone found a blog, myspace, facebook etc for Tara? I'd really like to read how she's processing all of this and moving on. I think she'll still get some work or endorsements from all of this.

trekkiegirl
05-15-2009, 11:49 PM
There's a couple of Facebook pages up for Tara:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Tara-Costa/77028937246?sid=dd36e4206ae2a4e66d41d757387763e9&ref=search
(This one doesn't seem to get updated much.)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=dd36e4206ae2a4e66d41d757387763e9&gid=54209446291&ref=search
(This one was made by a fan.)

BTW, if anyone is interested, Here's Mike's. It's pretty cool. You have to become his friend to see it but he's accepting everybody! People have been posting a bunch of pictures from the finale parties.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=570853842&ref=nf

RayStar
05-16-2009, 02:35 PM

SheridanITA I think something is going on there in their relationship that is probably unhealthy. I know I would have let my o/weight daughter stay. She has always had a weight problem and that's what I heard about Shannon.
This win for Helen seems to be promotional more that a true healthy weight lost. OK this is just my thoughts. I am pleased all contestants lost weight.

RayStar
05-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Has anyone found a blog, myspace, facebook etc for Tara? I'd really like to read how she's processing all of this and moving on. I think she'll still get some work or endorsements from all of this.I would like to see her progress also without having to join Facebook. Tara deserves to have many endorsements. Is there a club out there for Good Hearted People? Tara is a nominee for it if there is. IMO
Mike Morelli could be #2.

sportmom
05-16-2009, 03:10 PM
This seems like her own page and not just a fan site:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Tara-Costa/817868#/s.php?k=100000080&id=817868&sid=89a9e4c2bf2df0bf88344cec27a43214

L144S
05-16-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.facebook.com/people/Tara-Costa/817868#/s.php?k=100000080&id=817868&sid=89a9e4c2bf2df0bf88344cec27a43214

She has more than 4500 friends! :)

RangerChic
05-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Diets in Review has an interview with Helen that is good. And, Helen addresses her daughter going home during the season.

babes315
05-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Tara has a new facebook page for fans: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tara-Costa/81458231233#/pages/Tara-Costa/81458231233?ref=ts

suzie42
05-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Tara has a new facebook page for fans: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tara-Costa/81458231233#/pages/Tara-Costa/81458231233?ref=ts

Thanks for posting this! I was wondering if she had a facebook page. :)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/cartoonapple01/lb/212/140/205/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

zinkemomx2
05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
http://www.facebook.com/people/Tara-Costa/817868#/s.php?k=100000080&id=817868&sid=89a9e4c2bf2df0bf88344cec27a43214 from Sportmom

babes315
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for posting this! I was wondering if she had a facebook page. :)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/cartoonapple01/lb/212/140/205/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

No problem! The link posted by sportmom IS Tara's person page, but the max number of friends you can have on facebook is 5,000, and she is at 4,993 or so, therefore it might be hard to be added as a friend on that one. Tara is encouraging people to join the fan site since she really can't add anymore friends on her personal site.

Amarantha2
05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
There IS a club for good-hearted people, it is called the Soroptimists!

I personally doubt whether Tara needs their help, though. But I'd love to see Shannon gets some help from someone.

Although, really, as far as which of the two of them went home, that bugged me also but truthfully it is their business and even if many of us (even childless me) would have put the daughter first, it doesn't take away from Helen's achievement, in my opinion. :)

practiceliving
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
OMG - Helen looks amazing, she is a size 2 now. I read it in people magazine. She looks very small, much like Ali did 2 seasons ago - but I don't think she looks anorexic.

I was reading in a magazine today (OK! mag, so it's not 100% reliable) that Helen's doctors have actually told her she needs to regain at least 15lbs because she is at an unhealthy weight now. :?:

Hun.e.B
05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I can believe that, she is TINY!!

Amarantha2
05-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Well, I'm not her doctor but in my opinion we have come so far as a society into a culture of obesity that we wouldn't recognize a healthy weight if we saw it. :lol:

She's tiny but really, 117 pounds is NOT a starvation weight. On some weight charts it falls within the normal range for her height. If she regains three pounds she's at MY goal weight and she is one inch taller than I am and MY doctor's likes my goal (unless he's lying because he thinks I'll never get there :lol: ).

Helen seems fine to me. I've been reading this all over the internet that she's so amazingly thin and to me unless I'm actually sitting with her in her doc's office when he/she gives Helen the news that she's needing to regain 15 pounds, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Most of the BL contestants seem a little thin to me at the finale and to some extent I think they actually have deliberately dieted down to below where they expect to eventually land because, well, they want to win, but I still believe that our culture has a viewpoint that everyone who is not obese is anorexic or overly thin.

I think people are just projecting their own weight frustrations on Helen.

Hun.e.B
05-18-2009, 12:54 AM

Absolutely!!! That green eyed monster can be downright MEAN!

MariaMaria
05-18-2009, 01:24 AM

Yes, I agree as well.

Also, if we've been watching TBL all season, our perceptions of what is normal have become skewed for these specific people--we're used seeing them fat or at least fattish.

RangerChic
05-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Definitely, I agree. And, I don't agree with the whole "mother's should give up everything for their kids" thing. When they are kids, sure, but Shanon was not a kid anymore. And, we don't know the dynamic the family has. Helen may have given up everything her whole life for her kid, and now, she needs to do something for her. My mom has done a lot for me most of my life and I would never expect her to sacrifice herself during my adult years simply because she's my mom. Plus, to lose weight and get healthy, you have to be somewhat selfish.

kiramira
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
New article with an interview with Tara!

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/406204_tvgif14.html

Kira

sportmom
05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
THANK YOU Kira!!

Good for her, she sounds like she's in a really good place mentally.

Interesting quote from someone who saw everyone in first person:

"I went to the extent that my body would go; I didn't want to look emaciated and unhealthy just to win a prize. "

trekkiegirl
05-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Helen was not one of my favorite contestants but it wasn't the whole "she sent her daughter home" thing. Actually, I kept remembering Shanon telling Helen she didn't want to be at the ranch without her. The two main things that bugged me about her were her continual "look at me" and "look what I can do" comments (Mike's brief "cockiness" as some call it, was nothing by comparison) and she displayed an underhanded streak--her cookie-eating against Tara, her comments to Laura when Laura had the sole vote, telling green team they are like daughters to her...huh? :dizzy:

If there's anyone to be jealous of, it's Tara. She looks amazing and she's kicka$$! And she's gorgeous! And I am thrilled for her.

BTW....FLN is going to start showing season 5 this weekend!!!! My first season watching. Ali...Bernie...Mark...Jay...Ninja Paul...tattoos..."Pride on 3"...Mark crying a river....Bob thinking he was gonna win by stacking his team with the big tough guys... :p

Amarantha2
05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
:lol: I'm sure a lot of people are jealous of Tara as she does look beautiful and has done a great job, as did all the contestants.

The green eyed monster is all encompassing. Probably there are folks projecting their own frustrations on all of them.

mygritsconfessions
05-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, I am going to miss watching BL tonight. I wasn't a fan of Helen's, as I was hoping Tara would win, because she worked so hard all season and she never got into the game playing or gossip. She focused on health and healing. I am happy for Helen, but I do think she was too thin and didn't appear healthy at all on the finally. Does anyone know when the Season 8 starts?

L144S
05-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Just listening to Jillian's Podcast and she said Daniel is back this season. They started taping this past thursday! Yeah Daniel!

Amarantha2
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I am going to miss it also. I believe it will be fall before the new one starts.