Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #1  

Default managing hormones during weightloss

--

Last edited by thisisnotatest; 01-25-2010 at 06:29 PM.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I have actually... but in a good way! My periods are not as violent and they are a HECK of a lot more regular, my pms has improved and my bloating is way better.

One downside... my periods ARE LONG.......... before it was BAM get my period. Gush like a mad demon for two days, stop for a day, gush for a day then done. Now it's more normal... come on slowly, get heavier, stay for a few days, slowly taper off...

These things all happened within the first month that I started losing weight so there is no doubt that it contributed to it.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I recommend that all women getting baseline tests of your hormones before menopause. This help you immensely when you go through menopause and need to know what might be "normal" for you. For now, I recommend working with a quality GYN or Naturopath who can help you make sure they are balanced now and stay balanced. I do a saliva test once a year to check my levels. However, I also take HRT in the form of bioidentical hormones as I had my ovaries removed in 2005.

The majority of the women who have talked about hormonal changes during or after weight loss have reported postive changes rather than negative changes. So, I wouldn't be overly anxious.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I had hormonal imbalances before I started losing weight and over 100lbs later still getting problems. I'm 45 and had a progesterone implant fitted 4 years ago which has helped somewhat with the fluctuations. However I still have times when even that doesn't help, I'm going through one of those times now, starts with fluid retention, sore boobs and will end up with bleeding (even though the implant should stop this).

I don't know what triggers this but do suspect it is the hormones released by weightloss. All I do know is that the 'pre-menstural' symptoms are flamming uncomfortable.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 04-22-2009 at 06:12 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

hm. I would have said I didn't notice any difference, the twice before I've lost all/most of what I needed to. Then I thought about cfmama's experiences and yes, when I was down to 136 ('normal weight') in 2004, my periods Were that way: longer onset, heavier flow, longer departure. Not days, not flooding but longer and heavier than usual for me.

Swhy I'm hoping this current resurgence is just to do with 31lbs off at an average rate of 2.78 a week ~ but I will check at my doctor's when I get back early next week.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #6  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

meh my hormones have always been a mess.. but more so after I had my son which was odd.. I went from having very few periods/heavy to now, constantly bleeding for over a year.. finally on bc pills now to I guess help my cycles.. but im still bleeding & its frustratin cause I know hormones can play a part in weightloss/gain etc and dont want to always been dealing with this .. I guess maybe I just need to lose more weight, hopefully that helps a bit.. lol .. I do have pcos too. So losing weight/healthier life is really the only way to go

Last edited by alsten02; 04-22-2009 at 10:36 AM.
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/141

Height: 5'9"

I'm with cf mama. The pain went from completely unbearable-give me some drugs and a few days off work (I wish) to normal (otc advil grade) painful, But it's so much longer! Most months I'm going for 7-9 days. My doctor is running some blood tests and said that there is a hypo thyroid issue that can cause it, but I don't know yet.

Nope, not thyroid- tests came back perfect! Even glucose and cholesterol are better than average. Guess it's just my funky body.

Last edited by Blinky963; 04-25-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: update
Blinky963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Well that's not something I look forward to. Right now I am pretty much the way Cfmama was.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I've been taking a good vitamin b complex and magnesium for the pms. It's been worse the last couple of months, but I'm 45 so it could be more than weight loss causing the problems.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #10  

Weight loss usually mine fluctuate or extend my cycle. Right now, I opted for bc just to keep things regular for a while -- don't want to be guessing while I'm already stressing out my body.

On the other hand, Jillian Michaels just put out a new book about using food and exercise to manage your hormone levels. Has anyone read through that? What do you think?

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote