South Beach Diet - Cucumber Help!

View Full Version : Cucumber Help!

Ruthxxx
04-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I have ended up with six English cucumbers! Does anyone have any idea how I can use them up? Pickles?

rdw1
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
LOL... I don't know- but when I saw this I thought its way to early in the year for this post! LOL

Ruthxxx
04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
They're greenhouse, of course. Cucumber mask?

grneyedmustang
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
You could try one of these salads:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cucumber-and-Tomato-Salad/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tomato-Cucumber-Salad/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Korean-Cucumber-Salad/Detail.aspx

I'm also a big fan of homemade Tzatiki sauce, to use on wraps/sandwiches and stuff.

NorCal Jen
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
my favorite is just thinly sliced with some rice vinegar over them. Yum!

Ruthxxx
04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I know what to do with them but I have six of the suckers. I have a feeling they may end up as compost unless I eat two a day. :lol:

annie175
04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Sliced with a little sea salt and lime juice sprinkled over them.

weezle
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Slice in half long-ways, scoop out seeds with a spoon. Take cottage cheese and fresh herbs (dill, basil, cilantro, whatever!) and mix together. Spoon down the center of each half and it's a snack?

rdw1
04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I think I would make a cucumber and tomato salad for a few days :)

Schmoodle
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Ruth, are you testing us?

Ruthxxx
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
:lol: at Schmoo. Nope! I did Good Food Box today and ended up mis-managing trades. I might end up making freezer pickles out of these monsters. I did eat half of one with lunch.

cottagebythesea
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
:lol: Ruthie, haul out your dehydrator and make cucumber chips with them. They're wonderful sprinkled with a little olive oil and garlic powder before you dry them, and they're also pretty good with chili powder and garlic. Enjoy! (Burrrrrrrrrp! :o)

beachgal
04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Oooh, great idea, Cottage! You've got me longing for a dehydrator again. :drool:

Ruthxxx
04-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh my! What a great idea! I'll try not to slice off my finger on the mandolin this time. I have dried dill and some sea salt and will try different flavours.

KO
04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Laurie Me too! too bad we don't live closer we could share one
Ruth Make Tzaziki sauce Greek Yogurt Garlic DIll (I'm allergic) and Cukes
But if you make the cukes chunky it would be moer salad than sauce

kittycat40
04-23-2009, 10:20 AM
OK ladies, I just had the tupper of sliced cukes that was in my fridge, dipped in roasted pepper humus!! Thanks for the snackspiration :)

Ruthxxx
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Can you smell garlic and dill? I have a bunch of cuke chips drying right now.

beachgal
04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Yum! :T

BTW, I love me some tzatziki. I could eat it with a spoon. :love: Really, I could.

KO, I wish we lived closer for many reasons, but that would be great!

CyndiM
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I have jars of cucumber chips with dill and onion. Yum! I'll have to try dill with garlic next year.

mizski
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
If it were summer I'd suggest a nice cold cuke soup. The dried cuke chips sound interesting. Might try that during cucumber season.

Ruth, your post reminded me of my late FIL. He used to plant a zillion cucumber plants and their family would have cucumbers EVERY DAY as their main veggie. Ugh! Of course, when I married into that family I too got sucked in to cucumber h3ll :p Fortunately, I convinced him to plant 1/2 zucchinis. That's another story but at least you can do a lot more with them. :)

KO
04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
MMM Zuch! I'm making (just for me as DH is post oral surgery) Zuch and summer squash tonight with onions garlic and parm cheese and a Bruschetta Boca burger! Can you tell I'm excited????

262mom2three
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Laurie Me too! too bad we don't live closer we could share one
Ruth Make Tzaziki sauce Greek Yogurt Garlic DIll (I'm allergic) and Cukes
But if you make the cukes chunky it would be moer salad than sauce

Ohhhh ...ITA about the tzatziki!!! There are some really good recipes on allrecipes.com. Shred the cuke, squeeze out the excess liquid, and pat dry really well. Use a good Greek yogurt like Fage...lemon, garlic, dill or mint. MMMMM!!! OMG...soooooo good!!! That is soooo on my shopping list this weekend! Now just have to find my favorite recipe again...lost in the move. :(

GradPhase
04-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Cucumber water!!!

It's what they have on the commercials for the fancy day spas around town...? Give it a try - you have lots to spare!

Ruthxxx
04-24-2009, 06:20 AM
The chips are pretty good. The last cuke is going into tzatziki which I'm taking to a dinner party tonight with veggies. We may as well all have garlic breath.

rainy
04-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Here's my ideas for cocumbers.

Raw: I eat them with no seasoning as a side dish for salty foods, like ham.

Cooked: cut in thick sticks and just thrown in a pan with some oil for a few minutes, they are a great side dish for any white meat.

Ruthxxx
04-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Wow! Never thought of cooking them. I do that with radishes. I think I'll save this post for August when the cucumber avalanche starts. Right now I am almost out of the monsters.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

KO
04-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I got this recipe in my Dr. Weil email this AM!
Cucumber, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
1 Serving
This simple salad is a version of an Italian standard. You'll find fresh, white mozzarella cheese in most delis or supermarkets - it's very different from the pale yellow, packaged mozzarella.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp quality extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 large Roma tomato, sliced
1 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
3 leaves fresh basil, chopped

Instructions:
Mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. On a salad plate, layer slices of the cucumber, tomato and cheese. Drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with the chopped fresh basil.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving:
137 calories
10 g total fat (1 g sat)
20 mg cholesterol
7 g carbohydrate
6 g protein
1 g fiber
27 mg sodium