Soups, Stews and Chowders - Sweet Potato Soup

View Full Version : Sweet Potato Soup

thedawnster
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I made it the other day and thought it was pretty good.

Sweet Potato Soup

2 large sweet potato(es)
2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, divided
1 tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup(s) fat-free evaporated milk
1 tbsp chopped pecans Preheat oven to 400F.

Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool. When cool, remove and discard skin; chop potatoes.

Combine sweet potatoes and 3/4 cup of broth in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set potato mixture aside.

Melt margarine in a medium-size saucepan; stir in flour and ginger, and then add milk. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Cook 1 minute more and then stir in sweet potato mixture and remaining 1 1/4 cups of broth. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Pour into 4 serving bowls and sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon of pecans.

For an extra flavor boost, consider adding a dash of curry powder with the flour and ginger.

Yields about 1 cup per serving.

4 Points per Serving

ThickAZChick
08-27-2009, 03:30 AM
This absolutely sounds TO DIE FOR! For some reason I have been craving sweet potatoes! Thank You~

theblueeyedgirl
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I love soup for lunch in the fall. Love sweet potatoes, so I bet this will be a favorite for me this year.

daddysonlygirl2
03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
I love to have soup for lunch. This one sounds like a winner. I will have to try it.

sosurreptitious
11-08-2013, 04:33 PM
This made me salivate! I think I know what I'm throwing into my menu planning for this week!