Weight Loss Support - Fitness magazines?

View Full Version : Fitness magazines?

kiramira
04-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi there!
I was wondering if y'all bought heath/fitness magazines, are they helpful to you and why, and which ones do you recommend?
Kira

TJFitnessDiva
04-19-2009, 02:38 PM
I like Self, the weight watchers mag & fitness :)

I love the articles and different work out cards in Self, WW for the new ideas & I dunno about fitness yet...that one was a free subscription that came with the 30 day shred

winning the war
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I like Shape for the success stories.

SweetScrumptious
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
My favorite magazine is Self.
The runner up would be Shape.

iriswhispers
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I like to read Self.

skinnywish
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM
i have a subscription to women's health and i really liked it, although it starts to get repetitive if you get it every month. i also like shape and self...

I WILL do it
04-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a subscription to Self (It came included with my 1-year subscription to Glamour) and I love it! This month's was really good

srmb60
04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Oxygen. All kinds of exercises with recommendations for beginners and experienced lifters. Cardio tips. Food. Highlighted amateurs. Weight loss success stories.

You should see the pasta recipes this month! Yum!

Devsmama
04-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I like both Shape and Fitness.

jmfan317
04-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I like Self and Shape. I learn new tricks and see how other people have lost weight and kept it off

Violin Jenn
04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I love Muscle and Fitness HERS! I love it!

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-19-2009, 07:49 PM
I buy Oxygen every month. It looks kind of scary because it focuses a lot on weight lifting and figure comp's etc but I love lifting weights so its pretty awesome. They have great weight exercises and recipes in there. To try and not kill my bank account, I go to Chapters/Indigo every few weeks and spend an afternoon reading the magazines. If I bought them all I would be poor!!! If I find one that I really must have, I will buy it (usually Oxygen). A book store like Chapters is a great way to meet people too!

teawithsunshine
04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Oxygen, Fitness, Shape, Self, Best You Health, sometimes Prevention, Yoga Journal, Runner's world or one of those trendy regular magazines if they have something on fitness/exercise, etc :cool:

~ tea

Jassica
04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Oxygen as well
I even took it to the gym with me (when i had a membership i might add) to do the routines. :D

I like to pics out of fitness magazines to make collages. Fun, and keeps me motivated and keeps from eating at the time :P

niclyn
04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I love Womans Health.

Also sounds weird, but, Cooking Light...besided yummy healthy recipies, the have lots of fitness and general healthy tips.

moon fairy
04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
FitnessRX for Women. Many FitnessRx readers say they've read most of the above listed mags (Shape, Oxygen, etc) and never switched back once they tried FitnessRX. I've only ever read FitnessRx so there's nothing I can compare to but I absolutely love it and look forward to each issue (I'm on subscription).

Breannaj1215
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I love to read fitness magazines. they have a lot of great tips. And motivational pictures of models. lol. I cut pics out and put them on my fridge to motivate me.

bronte155
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I like Self, it motivates me without making me feel bad about myself in the process!

JulieJ08
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll have to take a look at Self, haven't in a very long time. Oxygen, if I'm remembering correctly, was just this massive collection of blurbs about this (small) study or that. Drove me nuts. I like real solid, detailed, reasoned information. But that's hard to find in any magazine.

Tomato
04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I buy Oxygen every month. It looks kind of scary because it focuses a lot on weight lifting and figure comp's etc but I love lifting weights so its pretty awesome. They have great weight exercises and recipes in there. To try and not kill my bank account, I go to Chapters/Indigo every few weeks and spend an afternoon reading the magazines. If I bought them all I would be poor!!! If I find one that I really must have, I will buy it (usually Oxygen). A book store like Chapters is a great way to meet people too!

Staccie,
why don't you subscribe? It will cost you half the amount (as opposed to buying the mag each month).

Tomato
04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I find Oxygen to be absolutely the best among the fitness magazines. I used to buy Shape (years and years ago) and when I bought one issue last year, I was appalled over how much they sidetracked from fitness mag to clothing, make up tips and all that cr@p magazine. Most other so called fitness magazines are very similar to Shape and a waste of money, IMHO.
Oxygen is awesome.

Fox
04-21-2009, 09:56 AM
My very favorite is Women's Health because it's not just a weight loss or fitness magazine, it talks about anything and everything that relates to being healthy (not just being a healthy weight).

That's the only one I have a subscription to but I also buy Men's Health, Shape, Self and Fitness regularly and on a rare occasion pick up Oxygen or FitnessRX.

The weird thing is they are all pretty much the same, they have the same articles, give the same advice, etc. Even 1 magazine from month to month is pretty similar. It gets repetitive yet I still buy them, I just can't seem to stop! As soon as I see a new issue on the rack I snap it up :p

Mrs Snark
04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Runner's World is great.

time2lose
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Don't forget your local library. I love to spend a relaxing rainy afternoon reading magazines at the library.

WildThings
04-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I am another fan of Self and Shape. I used to subscribe to Prevention because they information they had was always interesting, but the magazine was 95% ads (mostly for medications) then 5% actual material...drove me crazy. I do have to say, the March (I think) issue of Family Circle had a great 30-minute walking program that I use during my lunch breaks sometimes. Another non-fitness magazine I actually have a subscription to is Better Homes and Gardens which has had a "healthy lifestyle" section since the beginning of the year that is great. They actually commented that they did not want to be another magazine touting the newest fad diet but wanted to have a section on healthy living. Nutritional recipes, being active...just little changes to help people be healthy.

MotoMichelle
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I love Womans Health.

Also sounds weird, but, Cooking Light...besided yummy healthy recipies, the have lots of fitness and general healthy tips.

I agree! I've been a CL subscriber for years now. Great all around info about living a healthy life.

I find Oxygen to be absolutely the best among the fitness magazines. I used to buy Shape (years and years ago) and when I bought one issue last year, I was appalled over how much they sidetracked from fitness mag to clothing, make up tips and all that cr@p magazine. Most other so called fitness magazines are very similar to Shape and a waste of money, IMHO.

No doubt. I've wanted to find a fitness magazine to subscribe to but every one seems to talk more about fashion, makeup, sex, or "How to lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks!"

I don't want all that BS.

mamaspank
04-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Runner's World is great.

I have to agree with Durden on this one. I LOVE Runner's World, even when I lazed about for four months and didn't run -- I read it, which meant I was giving running some heavy thought. Starting January 2nd, I started up again and lost the last my last ten pounds. Everyone has noticed how fast I am around the bases now. I am happy about that, because since I am not such a meatball, I have no extra oomph in my swing.

orthodiva
04-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm putting in another plug for Cooking Light. I love reading everything in there, of course the recipes are my favorite part!!!

Liliann
04-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Last week I had brought First magazine. It's $2.49 and it covers everything, and many recipes.

Ookpik
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
My favorites are Fitness, Self, and Shape. I love reading the tips and testing them, keeping what works and what doesn't. They also often have good exercise/strength training moves and recipes.

I also like the inspiring stories of other women who have lost weight.

mrsaugie
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
the one that i like is Self. i have not read any of the others though so i cannot give you any more suggestions. but like someoneelse said self can motivate you with out putting you down or make you feel stupid.

LaBonita
04-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I think I pretty much read them all, but my favorites are FitnessRX for Women, Oxygen, and Fitness. I used to subscribe to Self but then they started to lean more towards all the "fluff" like hair and makeup and clothes. I like it, but for "workout magazine" purposes, it didn't fulfill what I wanted.

daniela
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Top 3
- Oxygen: because I LOVE weight lifting and I want to look like I could be on the cover one day (hey got to dream big) :)
- Runners World: because running is my fav cardio and it has great training tips
- Cooking Light: because I love to cook and they have such amazing recipes.

Cammie-Cam
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Oxygen definitely! I love to work out with weights (although I currently only do it at home with Cathe, I'm intimidated by the weights section at the gym) but my hope is that one day I'll say EFF IT and just try some of the exercises in Oxygen. I like it because the recipes and tips are great and there isn't any fluff about hair and makeup. That stuff never applies to me anyway because I'm African American. :) Weight lifting and eating right is universal.

sacha
04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I used to read Oxygen but it has changed in recent months. For example, it has recently recommended 1100-1300 calorie diets (remember Oxygen is geared towards women who do serious strength training and cardio at least 3x per week!) in order to cater to a crowd that justs wants to be thin. Very sad. Ever since Tosca Reno married the publisher she has been on the cover and in every issue non-stop promoting her diet.

I have switched to Muscle & Fitness Hers.

bitetoobreakkskin
04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
i like them all :) i am semi-addicted to mags :) but my fave is probably fitness..i just love it.