Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Default Lurker on Atkins Forum

Well, I must confess I've been lurking on your forum for awhile trying to decide if this is the way to go. And -- after I clear all the fruits and grains out of my kitchen sometime this week -- I've made my decision to go on the Atkins plan.

I have DANDR and read it some years ago and will re-read it again. It makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense to me is that 7 weeks ago (going on 8) I began a stringent diet and exercise program and I have only lost 5 lbs. I have really stuck to 1550 calories, hired a personal trainer 2x per week who kicks my butt, plus cardio 4x per week minimum, often twice a day. This from someone who was doing nothing before, so it is a big change.

So ... in the hopes of ramping up my weight loss ... Atkins here I come. I'll report back after I'm a week or so into induction. Thanks for your support.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Hi! I am on day 5 of Induction. It's going well for me. I have found that in all the different ways of eating that I have done. I always come back to Atkins. It's always what I can stick to the best. I have figured out that I need to know exactly what foods I am to be eating which is one reason why I like Atkins.

Definitely update with how you are doing!

Last edited by Crazy4Kenny; 04-18-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Crazy4Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #3  

Hi Jennifer - thanks for the shout out. Sigh, I wish I was where you are now, but we all have to start somewhere! I just feel with Atkins I might have a better shot of steady weight loss than I have had with the calorie counting. I notice you've lost more in 5 days than I have in 7 weeks!

I realize everyone's different, but I'm excited. It sounds like you've done Atkins before? What was your experience? Great job, BTW! CJ
Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good luck to the both of you

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Hello, ladies! Sounds like your definitely doing Atkins the "smart" way (reading the book!) Hang in there during Induction, it's definitely worth it to kick the cravings. Good luck!
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Best of luck to you! Read the book...its probably the best advice you will get. I started Atkins in mid November 08 and have lost 51 lbs since then. You can do it!

Last edited by Torister; 04-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #7  

Hi Leenie, Chris and Torister -- thanks for the support and welcome. I am actually starting induction TODAY -- Wednesday April 22, 2009. I printed out the "induction foods" list, took it to the grocery store and bought meats and fish and eggs and butter and salad and a little cheese.

The funny thing is I kept hoping I wouldn't run into anyone I knew (especially my personal trainer!) who would look in the cart and ask me what's going on as I have been eating pretty much only fruits and veggies and a little bit of lean protein for the past two months. It is very disturbing to me that I have lost so little weight and 3 of the 5 pounds was the last couple of weeks when I upped my protein and cut down on the fruit.

So, I know my mental mindset has to change regarding eating so much saturated fat and protein. I read the book and it makes a lot of sense. I don't expect miracles but I am going to do this the right way and hope to see some good results.

CJ
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
So, I know my mental mindset has to change regarding eating so much saturated fat and protein.
Atkins is a moderate protein/high fat plan. We have been conditioned to believe fat, especially saturated fat is bad for us and that lowfat is the way to go. If you haven't already, you may want to read Gary Taubes book "Good Calories Bad Calories" and there are several books & articles by Dr. Barry Groves you may find helpful. In the meantime, these articles may be beneficial:
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...t_sat_fat.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html
http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2009/04...-its-official/
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/taubes.html
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cho...ol_myth_1.html

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I don't expect miracles
No, no! Expect miracles!!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #10  

Follow the plan as described in the book and you will succeed! I know it is hard to wrap your head around it after a lifetime of hearing otherwise, but it works and you will be a believer soon enough.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #11  

Kim (is it Kim?) -- thanks so much for the links to the articles. I have been (stealthily) following you quite a bit because you are sort of iconic on this board. I love the info you provide. I read your info earlier on caffeine and, interestingly, I quit drinking caffeine coffee a couple of weeks ago because of a nerve-wracking situation I was going through and the caffeine was putting me over the top. So, it kind of prepared me for Atkins even though that, of course, was not the reason.

DCHound -- That was funny! Okaaaaay ... I expect miracles! I am really looking forward to this and am very excited. I did well on my first day except I'm about ready to float away. I've always been a big water drinker, but today I drank it all day long.

Torister
-- Thanks! Looking forward to a new part of my life.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #12  
nirvikalpa samadhi

I only said it because it's true. Expect miracles and you will see them. I've said it before, if I were in charge of nominating saints I would nominate Robert Atkins for sainthood.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
I only said it because it's true. if I were in charge of nominating saints I would nominate Robert Atkins for sainthood.
I couldn't agree more DC!! He was a brilliant man....which is why it irritates me when ill-informed people spew he "died from his own diet".
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
I've said it before, if I were in charge of nominating saints I would nominate Robert Atkins for sainthood.
Right on!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #15  
nirvikalpa samadhi

He slipped and fell and hit his head and died of that. My best friend is friends with his nephew ~ small world. I had to overcome misconceptions to start Atkins back in 1999 and I'm so glad I did, so I preach the word where ever I can...y'all too!