Old 04-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #1  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

Default How long was your longest plateau?

What was your longest plateau and how did you push past it?

I've been stuck, gaining and losing the same three pounds since January!!! I've stayed on plan and counted every little morsel that went into my mouth FOR THREE WHOLE MONTHS but I just couldn't seem to move forward.

I'm so happy to announce, though, that I got some renewed motivation and I'M FINALLY BREAKING THROUGH!!! I've been exercising more and trimmed my eating a little further and finally finally my scale finally showed a loss, WOOHOOO!!!

I think the reason this plateau was so hard to get through is because my body was comfortable and familiar with this weight. This is the same weight that I was for almost eight years. WHEN I finally break through down into the 220's, I will weigh less than I have in ten whole years - and I know that NOW I'm finally going to make it there!! And beyond!!!

I can't help it, I'm so excited!! =D
Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #2  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

This is awesome! It sounds like you did the right thing. I've only just started so no plateau for me yet. I think when i hit one i will do what you did, tweak those calories and up the exercise.
Congrats on giving your body time to move past it's old familiar place
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I've been stuck within a weight range for several months, like almost a year. And it is a weight at which my body has been very comfortable in the past. But 300 lbs is not what I am supposed to weigh!

I go forward, go back, get determined, lose heart, pump more iron, do more cardio, dump it all and take to my bed and cry...But I will NOT NOT NOT lose ground and allow myself to go back to what I weighed before. So I'm constantly getting back in the game.

I've noticed my cycles go by months, I'll lose one more pound, "celebrate", then gain back, get shocked at the numbers, get back into the groove, lose what I gained back, and then slowly inch towards a little more loss. Right now, my life is really very full with a lot of drama and trauma, so just keeping my ground, maintaining good habits and making consistently good choices is good enough for me.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

About two months. It wasn't an official plateau, because I was still losing about 3 pounds a month, but it was terrible. I talked to my doctor and was prescribed metformin, which pushed me out of it.

Last edited by kelly315; 04-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I honestly have not been through one yet. Ask me in another couple of months Because I am sure I'll have one yet!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
I honestly have not been through one yet. Ask me in another couple of months Because I am sure I'll have one yet!
Not necessarily. I never did.

I was extremely consistent, ate very cleanly, kept taking down my calories and upping my exercise. When decreasing my calories was no longer an option - I increased my exercise and stuck to my plan like GLUE.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Not necessarily. I never did.

I was extremely consistent, ate very cleanly, kept taking down my calories and upping my exercise. When decreasing my calories was no longer an option - I increased my exercise and stuck to my plan like GLUE.
That is reassuring... because everyone keeps telling me to "enjoy it while it lasts!" and I'm thinking... dude. It's been 7 months with no sign of one. I'm good to go so far I've taken calories from 1800 to 1700 so far at one blip in my weight and then starting calorie cycling at the next
Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
That is reassuring... because everyone keeps telling me to "enjoy it while it lasts!" and I'm thinking... dude. It's been 7 months with no sign of one. I'm good to go so far I've taken calories from 1800 to 1700 so far at one blip in my weight and then starting calorie cycling at the next
People - they should just keep their negative opinions to themselves. Let them lose over 100 lbs in the time that you did and then maybe, just maybe they can teach you a thing or two.

If I know you and I think I do, you are so determined and so on top of things, that if you should face a stall, I'm sure you'll figure it out and do what it takes to resolve it - and quickly.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-18-2009 at 07:49 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I haven't reached a plateau yet either.

Eileen - I'm glad you got a downward movement!!!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I did, longest was 2 solid months of NO weight loss or gain. I got the stomach flu and that pretty much got me out of it lol. God...when things like that happen you just wonder if it was a curse or a blessing!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #11  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

When lost a bunch of weight before, the scale hardly budged for awhile, but I was gaining muscle from doing so much weight training, I quickly realized this when my trainer took my measurements and I was in fact losing. I guess everyone is different though. I've also heard that trying new exercises is a good way to break through it as well
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

no actual plateau, but my loss has slowed down considerably since getting closer to 200lbs. Im glad you finally broke through!
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

I think it's really rude that people are saying that hitting a plateau means you are doing something wrong. She asked how long, not why. There are about a million reasons WHY we hit plateaus and all it takes is a little fiddling around with calories either going up or going down, exercising more, whatever the case.

I love this site, but how discouraging to see people actually bragging about how THEY never hit a plateau, like people who do are bad and don't stick to plan, when really, you don't know what they are doing at all.

Congratulations to everyone who has pushed through your plateau, it takes a strong person to have decided to lose weight.

Even if you plateau, You should be very proud.
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

shrinkingleah: I don't see ONE SINGLE PERSON being rude in this thread. No one was BRAGGING about not having hit a plateau either. Colour me confused... honestly.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #15  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

OP is to be congratulated for her persistence, and for finally breaking through.

I don't see what's offensive in answer to the question 'how long?' with the answer 'never', followed by an explanation of what worked for them. It doesn't offer criticism of OP, it does explain what whoever believes worked for them.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote