Weight Loss Support - How has your changed diet influenced your family?

time2lose
04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
The "What is the biggest temptation you cook that you can not eat?" thread got me to thinking about how my cooking and changed diet influences my family. The other day I noticed that my husband's belly has shrunk. He shrugged and said, "I have lost 12 pounds but I don't know how." I did! My changed way of cooking and limiting of junk food in the house has him consuming less calories. Of course, I could not resist the temptation of taking credit for his weight loss. :)

After thinking about it, he agreed! Smart man!

sprklemajik
04-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Same for me, I've taken responsibility for the grocery shopping and 80% of the cooking. My husband has lost almost 20 lbs since I started my weightloss last June.

time2lose
04-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Don't you wish that we had someone to shop and cook for us? It could make this journey easier!!

midwife
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
We are ALL eating more veggies.

Shannon in ATL
04-17-2009, 11:48 AM
We eat more veggies, also. We cook more on weekends with my stepson rather than fast food every meal. DH eats better and has started buying more healthy snacks - he lost 20 pounds, has gained back just under ten of them, wants to lose 20 more. I think I'm making him feel some guilt over the fact that he isn't exercising like he should (even though we own a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, weider home gym and kickboxing bag) - he has started talking about it more and more, I'm hoping that the talk turns into action soon.

LittleMoonRabbit
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
We don't have as much processed junk in the house. My husband didn't want me to force him to eat healthy... so we agreed to have one "bad meal" in the house per week (ex: chicken patties with mac & cheese). I think that makes the hubby feel like it's a big compromise... but everything else in the house is 1 million times healthier than it used to be. My hubby eats more veggies now, and he's started watching his portions. The only reason I think he hasn't lost any weight is because he eats junk when he's at work (they have chinese food and burgers and cookies all the time.) But I can't control how he eats at work, and as long as it's not around me, I am happy.

MindiV
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
It has SOME, but not as much as I'd like. My husband is finally ok with eating less fried, greasy stuff, and actually LIKES a lot of the lower calorie versions of things I prepare. But he refuses to give up sweets, even though he HAS cut back on them. If I don't buy any at all, he just gets them from convenience stores during the day. I'd prefer he eat one 150 calorie Little Debbie cake to a king sized Snicker bar (which is what he'd buy on his own)...so I buy them and have no trouble staying out of them.

freshmanweightorbust
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
For me it's not so much that I've changed my family, but my sister and I have both been supporting each other on our respective journeys, even though we live several states apart. We've both lost about 25-30 pounds each, and we email eachother our daily food log every night via myspace or gmail.

Since I quit smoking, three of my friends have also taken steps toward quitting, and they've all told me it's because I did. *Super good feeling!*

Devsmama
04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
We stopped eating fast food and other junk. We only have fruits and veggies for snack. This is easy because I'm a single parent with one child. So whatever I buy and cook he has to eat.

daniela
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I would have to say my changed diet has influenced my family in a very good way. My husband is overweight too, he's 6'4" and 275, he's dropped 40lbs since sept just by changing his eating habits. Since I stopped eating fast food he stopped too (once and a while he'll have fresco tacos from taco bell or some subway), he eat's all the food I make and I no longer bring junk food in the house. He's even started asking me how many calories are in this? Pretty cool huh?

He's not into the gym, he works long hours, but he'll go on bike rides with me. I know I can't push him into doing more because we all know that doesn't work. I think he would loose so much more and look amazing if he started lifting weights but he's got to want that for himself. Right now I'm just proud of him for making the changes he has and that he's been very accepting of all the food changes I've made at home.

My parents are even cooking healthier! My dad has had some recent heart issues that pretty much scared the crap out of him so he's embracing healthier food options. But it can't all be good...my husband's side of the family is overweight and they aren't interested in hearing a thing about our new lifestyle. Thank god they live 3 hrs away so I don't have to deal with that on a daily basis :)

Savora
04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
well my b/f is the one who started this weight loss thing, so he wanted healthier food i gave him chicken and fish, but then he goes to tacobell, jack in the box, orders pizza etc.... i stay away from it, but he doesn't have the willpower and he has about 75lbs to lose...... i wish my family would eat what i make but they don't so shame on them and good for me!!!

TJFitnessDiva
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
It's effected my whole family :) It's kind of neat to see even my mom (who is the fried anything queen) making healthier decisions with food when I drop by her house. Plus I'm finally rubbing off on my best friend :lol:

My DH told me when I started this time that he'd like us to make a healthy change overall for the family. So that's what we did. I'm very lucky that he made it easier for me to do this.

rockinrobin
04-17-2009, 01:43 PM
It's been a wonderful change for all of us. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do this sooner. What a poor example I set for my children. But no more dwelling. I am thrilled that I finally DID make the change.

We are all eating beautifully - at home of course. My kids are all older and I don't control what goes into their mouths when away from home. For that matter when they ARE home as well. But this healthy way of life has made them even more aware and mindful of things they eat even while away from home. Yay!!!

I remember when I first started this. How was I going to get my 3 teenagers on board with the healthy eating? But I did and they are. They too love all the veggies, fruits, salads, beans, fish, wonderful chicken dishes, spices, etc., that they're now eating. The variety boggles even their minds.

WarMaiden
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
After I quit sugar last year, and succeeded with that, I asked my husband to make a trial of quitting it too. He did that, and since that change (and the other healthy changes I / we have made), he's lost about 70 pounds.

He's also been inspired by my exercising and taken up some of that--pushups and pullups and walking. He's pretty focused on making it a regular part of his routine now, and doesn't like when he's not getting it. We strategize together how he can make that happen.

So basically, everything I have done has had a massive effect on him, and on our kids also.

saef
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
No effect whatsoever.

I moved back to my parents' home temporarily last year, when my father was dying of stomach cancer. (Cause unknown, though in general, I've read that stomach cancer may partly be due to diet.) I helped my mother care for him for the last two months of his life. To maintain some kind of semblance of control, I meditated in the morning, went to the gym, and cooked for myself.
My mother ate healthily at dinner. But she binged most of the rest of the time. (For example, half-gallon of ice cream every two nights.) That was her way of dealing with the stress. Which was unspeakable & has left us both with more than a little post-traumatic repercussions.

Since then, she's still not eating as sensibly as she once did when she made home-cooked meals for herself & my father every night. The neighbors still bring food over to her, though it's been about five months now. She's an adult, she's in charge of her decisions & this ordeal has been awful for her. So my only comment is that I'm concerned that she gets in enough fruit & vegetables, and I've asked her if she is having vegetables with her dinner or snacking on fruit. No other criticism or remarks. She's taken that reasonably well & made efforts in that direction. For me, it's about her health & keeping up her strength.

All I can do is model for her & tell her truthfully how great my blood tests results are when I go to the doctor's, how he's gradually reduced all my meds and how much more energy I have.

JulieJ08
04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
It's been a wonderful change for all of us. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do this sooner. What a poor example I set for my children. But no more dwelling. I am thrilled that I finally DID make the change.

We are all eating beautifully - at home of course. My kids are all older and I don't control what goes into their mouths when away from home. For that matter when they ARE home as well. But this healthy way of life has made them even more aware and mindful of things they eat even while away from home. Yay!!!

I remember when I first started this. How was I going to get my 3 teenagers on board with the healthy eating? But I did and they are. They too love all the veggies, fruits, salads, beans, fish, wonderful chicken dishes, spices, etc., that they're now eating. The variety boggles even their minds.

That makes me so happy. It's so sad not to grow up with really healthy food, because fixing that relationship as an adult is such a battle for so many of us.

rockinrobin
04-17-2009, 02:42 PM
That makes me so happy. It's so sad not to grow up with really healthy food, because fixing that relationship as an adult is such a battle for so many of us.

My kids are not overweight. Oddly enough as poorly as I ate, I never fed my family that way. As my kids were growing up, DH & I didn't eat dinner with them. He came home real late from work, so I waited for him, had a completely different dinner. I always gave my kids fairly healthy fare, although it has definitely improved.

I think it is a gift to teach kids how to eat properly. I'll even go stronger then that - I think it's a parent's responsibility to do so. A responsibility that I didn't take seriously enough and I slacked on. :(

JulieJ08
04-17-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it is a gift to teach kids how to eat properly. I'll even go stronger then that - I think it's a parent's responsibility to do so. A responsibility that I didn't take seriously enough and I slacked on. :(

You took what I was trying to say and said it better.

beerab
04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Well my sister and I definitely eat very healthy now. So much healthier I'm sure my mom will be shocked when she returns from the middle east lol.

My husband he's slowly getting on board- he's definitely eating more fruits for snacks vs. bags of chips and candy. I don't even buy chips for myself or anything- but he'll sneak in a bag here and here- thank goodness he likes bbq chips and I don't! lol.

I'm trying to get him to eat more veggies- slowly but surely he's coming around. :)

sweetandspicy
04-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Before my children take a bite of anything now they ask does this have sugar. Not because they want to loose weight or because they enjoy less sugar. Because if it has not sugar they have no intention of eating it. I wish they were more open-minded but hey if I was rail-thin and could eat anything and as much as I want I would do it too. I have been able to lessen their sugar intake and get more veggies in them but I still have to cook 2 meals every night. I really do not mind because when I cook for myself it is completely portitoned controlled and it is up to me what I make. My husband has however lost more weight than me in the last 7 weeks I have been dieting. Which is frustrating because I eat better and less and have been exercising like crazy!!!!!

Buttercup
04-17-2009, 11:41 PM
My family has always eaten pretty healthy but there are ways now that I am doing it much better. We LOVE the whole wheat pastas, they are much more filling. I love the oatmeal bread, I cook with a whole lot more olive oil, I only have smart balance in the fridge for toast and such. I bake sweet potatoes a lot and LOVE sweet potato fries. Turkey chili is awesome as are many things made with turkey. We have always eaten a lot of fruits and veggies so that is no change. BUT...one big thing happened a couple of days ago. I made a Holy Cow cake for my husbands birthday and after the celebration he said he was taking the rest to work the next day because none of us needed it and the one piece was delicious! I am proud of how he is trying to make the journey easier for me in ways such a that!

SweetScrumptious
04-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Since I started to eat healthy and request my parents to buy foods for me, they have taken up healthy eating too. They always says that because Caitlin is eating this way, it made us want to too and lose weight.

My boyfriend used to go to fast food restaurants 24/7 and hardly make his own meals. He still goes to fast food, but not as much. And now he's making LOTS at home. We like to make meals together and he's into eating healthy with me too.

It's all worked out for me

teawithsunshine
04-18-2009, 04:22 AM
My diet's influenced my family somewhat... they like the fish dishes I cook for them on occasion!! :)

~ tea

Horo
04-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I've gotten my family to eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread,(most of the time at least) etc. instead of the usual white alternatives- and the funny thing is that they're always saying how they like the healthier versions better now. I've got them on skim (instead of 2%) milk, lowfat cheeses and yogurts, etc. They absolutely LOVE the turkey chili and turkey spaghetti that I make (yum) and say that they honestly prefer it to the greasy ground-beef alternative. I've noticed a few of my family members taking smaller portions and consciously trying to eat more healthy things. They still eat tons of junk, but there have been definite improvements, and I'm hoping that I can eventually convince them even further to eat healthier...

ICUwishing
04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
We've always been homebodies - my husband is such an incredible cook that we only go out due to lack of time, and even if we go to a fine restaurant for a celebration, we end up agreeing that he could make the dish better. Lucky me ... except that he's no-holds-barred with sugar and fat. I've gotten him to cut back on both, and what we've all noticed is that we're eating slower and eating less, and neither of us has had heartburn since I started re-training myself. We've learned techniques like toasting flour to achieve the same thing that a good roux does (thanks, Paul Prudhomme!) - I'd bet that that alone saves a stick of butter every two weeks.

JulieJ08
04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
We've learned techniques like toasting flour to achieve the same thing that a good roux does (thanks, Paul Prudhomme!) - I'd bet that that alone saves a stick of butter every two weeks.

Do you mean toast it dry in a pan?

WhitePicketFences
04-18-2009, 02:10 PM
My husband's always been a healthy weight and a moderate eater, so it's more like a slight change of him getting to enjoy some new dishes and new mutual food experiences.

My mother, however, lives 600+ miles away but has lost 25 lbs since seeing me over the holidays. She says I inspired her. I was actually trying to keep it quiet but she noticed my portions and choices. I'm kind of secretive and private in real life, but my mom is discreet and I'm so glad for her that she was able to lower her BP, get off some meds and feel better. She seems really dedicated, too. The other day I called her and we had a whole conversation about lentils, ha.

beerab
04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Tee hee today I made fiber one pancakes and my hubby was like 'wow babe those were good pancakes, best you've ever made' and I just smiled :D

newleaf123
04-19-2009, 04:10 PM
The only real change self-motivated change that I've noticed is that my kids are reading nutrition labels more closely. What they are getting from that, other than awareness, I'm not really sure though LOL they're only 7 and 10. They are both very slim and I've always taught them the difference between healthy and unhealthy choices (it was only *me* not making healthy choices for myself).

The one change I've made *for* them is giving them much *larger* portions at dinner. I make them a much bigger salad than I used to, and I give them more of the chicken or pork or what-have-you. The reason for this is that they used to always be hungry still when they were done with the food on their plates, and then get up to have a yogurt (170 cal) and then maybe even something else when they were done with that -- so, at least 250 cal beyond what I was serving them for dinner. By giving them larger portions, they are eating more of the healthy food that I prepare and thus, they're better off.

kelly315
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I live pretty far from my mom, but we talk on the phone usually once a week. She started losing weight about 4 months after I did. I'm in my 80+ pounds lost, and she's in her 40+ pounds lost. I'm so proud.