General chatter - British Idol, If you haven't seen this.. YOU MUST LOOK at this....

Sweetcaroline
04-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Perhaps you've already seen this, but I could watch it again and again.
This woman has lifted my spirits so much...

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoF_XMDUukI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoF_XMDUukI")

Clydegirl
04-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Caroline that chokes me up every time I see it.

What an amazing voice she has.

kaplods
04-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I was so surprised at how much this affected me. I'm not overly sentimental, and I was just bawling when I heard her sing. It wasn't just the bittersweet aspect of her story, but her voice seemed to just pull emotion out of me. I haven't heard a voice that brought me to tears -sobs really, in a really long time.

murphmitch
04-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I've seen Les Miz three times and she sang as well or better than I've ever heard. It made me cry too!

CountingDown
04-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Absolutely AMAZING! I wish her well! She deserves every bit of attention she is getting.
A truly exceptional talent!

littlejojo
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
A friend sent me a link to watch this - she's amazing! Good luck to her in the competition.

Windchime
04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
She is amazing. There was a similar "dark horse" story last year on Britain's Got talent, named Paul Potts. I've watched this dozens of times and it always brings me to tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

Darkblue
04-17-2009, 12:15 AM
I really liked this story. What wasn't so impressive were all the smirks and snide comments from the audience. I found myself wondering what she'd be like if a professional helped her with hairstyle/makeup/clothing. She could easily end up on the stage--something the smirking people will never do.

You go, Susan!

Sweetcaroline
04-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Windchime, I totally agree the Paul Potts story was amazing...

harrismm
04-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I saw her interviewed this AM on the Early Show.What a sweet lady.Truly amazing that she had been singing karoke for years and not been "found"!!

Windchime
04-17-2009, 01:58 AM
She looks comfortable and homey, like many of my aunties. I hope that she goes on to have great success.

MissVitality
04-17-2009, 06:08 AM
She lives about 15 miles away from me! C'mon the Scots :)

I too was choked up when I saw this - especially as you could sense how much the judges and the audience made assumptions about her before she opened her mouth. Well that amazing voice stopped them in their tracks. It was on the news here today that her performance has been an international hit - with about 20 millions web hits. Amazing!

just for the record ;) it's "Britain's Got Talent" rather than British Idol.

midwife
04-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't watch those kind of shows but I watched it based on the overwhelming news coverage and she is amazing. Wow. I watched it a few more times. I can't wait until I can hear her sing without all the commentary....

Very inspiring....on so many levels....not just her talent but her courage to stand up there and go for what she wants in the face of adversity.

Jen415
04-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I am amazed at how quickly this story has spread...seems like once I heard about Susan, I saw/heard her on blogs, Facebook, MySpace, Yahoo, television, etc etc! Just goes to show that you absolutely CANNOT judge a book by its cover!

MissVitality
04-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I bought my mother and grandmother tickets to see Paul Potts in concert last year. They were blown away by his talent and reckon it's the best concert they have ever attended.

I hope Susan does well. Amanda Holden (the female judge on the programme) is already saying publicly they don't intend giving her a makeover but I bet they will try to in time. Susan strikes me as the type who will stay true to herself - I hope so.

Jen415
04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I wonder if she will WANT a makeover? I mean, what girl wouldn't?

(As sure as I say that, someone will pop on here and say, "ME!")

Shannon in ATL
04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow. Just wow. Her voice is phenomenal, but her willingness to stand there and sing with the looks and comments directed at her was even more amazing. Wow.

LittleMoonRabbit
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
wow, she made me cry too. and i don't cry that easily over this kind of stuff. Jeeze-o-crow, she is amazing.

kaplods
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
If she doesn't want to change her appearance, that's fine with me, but I think it would be rather exploitive if they don't give her the same opportunities that they give other contestants. Usually, part of the American Idol process, is that they get coaches to polish their stage presence, including their appearance and choice of material, etc. I don't know if that's usually part of the Britain's Got Talent, or not- but if it is, she deserves the same opportunities as the other contestants. It would be a shame if they "ugly her up" as much as possible to increase the shock value.

I really think that just having her eyebrows thinned a little, and doing nothing else, would transform her face.

Apparently she's getting a lot of offers (proffesional, and romantic, as well).

That she's gotten several romantic letters "of interest," from men is so sweet, I think (considering that she mentioned never having been kissed, but that she wasn't advertising - looks like it had that affect, anyway - how could it not, with that voice).

If she pursues a music career, my guess is that someone along the way will polish her up, a bit. Although, maybe that's a little sad in a way too, because we so rarely see normal-looking people standing out. We don't expect much from ordinary people.

The thing is, if she had had a great, but less amazing voice, they might have been "mildly" surprised, but they would pass her over because of her appearance (they've done it many times before - polish yourself up because you don't have a professional appearance, bye). She had to knock their socks off to get their attention (and she did), but if she had been gorgeous, much less would have been expected of her before they declared "she's got talent."

MissVitality
04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
What Amanda was saying was that the whole experience just now was so overwhelming for Susan to deal with (the unprecedented media attention etc.) that they didn't want her worrying too much about changing her appearance just now. They just want her to concentrate on her singing and getting through the various stages of the competition without having to worry what she looks like.

You can't say for sure, but I really cannot see beyond her winning the competition and being the one to perform for the Queen at the Royal Variety Performance. Even if she doesn't, stardom beckons for her. I think once the competition is over, we will see a slightly re-modelled version of her.

On another note, since her performance I have been unable to get "I Dreamed A Dream" out of my head!!! Fabulous song. I love Les Mis.

Wonder what she will sing in the next round?

MissVitality
04-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Here is Susan singing "Cry Me a River" on a 1999 charity CD produced by her local newspaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETPG26ALE&feature=related

Just stunning!

Kiwi
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
She has such an amazing voice. Seriously, Cry me a river brought me to tears

Clydegirl
04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Here is Susan singing "Cry Me a River" on a 1999 charity CD produced by her local newspaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETPG26ALE&feature=related

Just stunning!

Miss vitality thanks for posting that.

Haven't read the Record in a few years.

AAAA
04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Gotta love her & the story.

techwife
04-17-2009, 03:31 PM
OMG...I love her to pieces...right down to the saggy brastraps.

I hope she sings cry me a river at the next show!

MissVitality
04-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Clydegirl - I had seen your username on the forum a few times before and wondered if you had a connection to Glasgow. Take it you are originally from here?

Clydegirl
04-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Clydegirl - I had seen your username on the forum a few times before and wondered if you had a connection to Glasgow. Take it you are originally from here?

Born and bred in Greenock. Live in Illinois now.

MissVitality
04-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Clydegirl - I won't ask where you prefer living ;)

Some other acts from last week's Britain's Got Talent for your entertainment:

For sheer comedy value, watch these Greek Irish Dancers (hilarious father and son act):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHvATmUsSg

and brilliant dance act, Flawless (got a standing ovation from Simon Cowell, no less!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GrOMLylvhQ&feature=related

Enjoy!

flatiron
04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
She is amazing. There was a similar "dark horse" story last year on Britain's Got talent, named Paul Potts. I've watched this dozens of times and it always brings me to tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

Yeah it was the same thing as with Suasan Boyle. Because they were overweight and unattractive the judges and the audienced prejudged them and were surprised that they had beautiful voices. It was a perfect example of don't judge a book by it's cover.

As a musician myself it is even more emotional for me because I KNOW that there are millions and millions of artists who have lived and died that will never be known by the world.

Paul Potts went from middle aged phone phone salesman to superstar popera singer and it was a wonderful thing to see.

Now Susan Boyle I am sure will soon do the same. Whether she wins or not she has captured the heart of the world and she will have fame and fortune even if she doesn't win (and I hope she does).

The judges AND the audience were laughing AT HER before she started. But no one is laughing now.

Her story is almost tragic. The youngest of 9 kids and the last at home and the one tasked with taking care of their mother and her mother lives to 91 so Susan ends up a spinster and never gets to experience a family of her own.

And because of an accident at birth it leaves her a little brain damaged and because of this the neighborhood kids taunt her.

She has never known love, or been held by someone who loves her, never even shared a passionate kiss in her entire life. She is 47 and had resigned herself to the fact that it is never going to happen.

Well her life is going to be forever changed now. I only hope that she can see the the wolves that will come after her smelling an easy prey.

She has the chance that every musician, actor or artist only dreams of.

I become fillied with emotion everytime I see this because even the song she sang is of dreams and hers is coming true. It is much, much MORE than just winning a contest it is finally being able to do what you were born to do!

MissVitality
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Flatiron - that's a great post, thanks for that.

Susan seems to be becoming a bit of a worldwide phenomenon. The show producers have had to install a minder at her home to help her cope with the amount of attention she is receiving - including letters and flowers from all over the world. It must be overwhelming to go from a simple, humble life one day to international fame the next.

MissVitality
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2009/04/26/exclusive-video-we-reveal-susan-boyle-s-first-tv-talent-show-audition-for-michael-barrymore-86908-21311003/

This was filmed in 1995 and her voice is as amazing then as it is now.

Just a pity Michael Barrymore acts like such a prat, trying to make a fool of her. :( He only shows himself up.

PrincessLJ
04-29-2009, 08:10 AM
She's had her hair done and the papers are all going amd about it, lol poor woman!