Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default First 5K Walk: Start! Heart Walk (4/18/09)

This is my first week training to run in a 5k and I've decided to participate in the 5k Start! Heart Walk this Saturday (4/18/09).

Next Saturday (4/25/09) will be a Minithon 5k run/walk, which I'll also participate in, though I'll probably do more walking that running

As the Start! Heart Walk is also a fundraiser for the American Heart Association, here is a link to my campaign donation page: https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg...upId=253505064

You can visit the American Heart Association Event Page to find a heart walk near you:
http://www.kintera.com/spherelite/pu...l.asp?orgid=22

Regarding walking/running, I wondered if anyone had any tips or pre/post stretches. Every other day I'll walk/run a mile or two: 5 min of walking to warm up, then alternating 30 sec running and 60 sec walking.

Thanks for reading!
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations!! 5K events are great fun!

As far as stretching goes -- this web link has some great stretches with photos: http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm I find it's easier to see a picture than try to explain it!

I do have one suggestion for your training plan. Instead of doing the same distance every time, it is helpful to pick one day as your "long distance" walk/run and gradually increase that session up to your planned race distance. That way, your body gets used to moving that far and you have the confidence of knowing that you can do the distance without difficulty.

Good luck!

P.S I just re-read and realized that your races are coming right up!! You'll be fine, just don't overdo the training beforehand if you aren't used to going that far. Don't worry about speed, just enjoy it!

Last edited by MBN; 04-17-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added PS
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

Thanks for the link and tips, MBN

We got rained out today, so they're postponing the walk until May 30, 09
I couldn't even walk outside today- it was POURING.

I'll probably print out those stetches. Thanks again
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote