WW Clubs and Groups - #213 Bale of Turtles Making the Journey!

Itryharder
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

ladynredd
04-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Had a pretty good day yesterday -- got up early and did three miles with L.S. for the first time -- after the second mile my endorphins must have been pumping cuz it didn't seem any harder than Mile 2. Took the time to do some fairly major grocery shopping -- went to the "market" that is further away but has some great prices on produce and has bins of various kinds of whole grains and flours. I finally got the quinoa I've been looking for and some 6-grain hot cereal -- I don't usually eat cereal for breakfast cuz it doesn't "stay" with me long enough but it's good occasionally for a change. And I can use small amounts of it when I bake bread. I got some supplies for Pad Thai -- will let you know how it turns out when I make it in a day or two. Then I went to our regular supermarket to pick up all the ordinary items that the little market doesn't carry. I was definitely ready to get off my feet when I got home!

My plan for today is to go swimming -- think it's going to be chilly but I can't wait for it to warm up -- meeting with my niece-by-marriage for an hour's practice on our sign language, then hurrying home to sign on for work. Dinner is kind of up in the air since the job starts at 3:00 and frequently goes until 8:00 or 8:30. I know I'll be tired and achy but it's the hours that pay the bills!

Hope everyone has a super day as we progress along in our journey!

Itryharder
04-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Turtles,
I had a good food day yesterday. I tracked, ate healthy foods, and have pulled on my bootstraps to get me going again. I also found a pair of sneakers that I hope will work out for me. They seem comfy and I'll try them out today on the treadmill. Go us!

Donna, you are a dynamo! Weigh to go! :cp: and :bravo:
You are doing such interesting things, and I admire getting in a three mile walk. Great! Let us know how the Thai food recipe works out.

Okay, I'm going to start my day, but I wanted to check in and say hi.
Judy :cool:

bandit2
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi turtles:

Our group sounds up, running & focussed even with some of the setbacks, so that is great - congrats everyone for keeping on!

I was down 3/4# last night so was happy with that making my total 25.25#
so hopefully can keep over the 25# mark. It has taken time, but feels good!

Going for my walk/hot-tub tonight after missising almost a week of that. So looking forward to getting back on the exercise routine.

Things are starting to warm up abit, but not too far from where I live the snow skiing places are still open at least for this weekend. It is still too cold for yard work, even though a few neighbours have started. I raked up some leftover piles from last season but thats about it until it is warmer.

Have a great day, turtles!!

Itryharder
04-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Bandit, :goodscale: You are doing so great. Keep up the good work. We finally had a sunny day here and it felt great.
Today was a good day and I pointed it out.
Judy

Princess1122
04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Morning all and happy Friday to everyone. My eating yesterday was bad, not sure what happened but it is over and I gave myself a good mental shake regarding what I am supposed to be doing here. Not sure I will make it to W/I tomorrow but I will get on the scale at home no matter what to see where I am at.

Have a great weekend all and congrats to those that lost this week!

Itryharder
04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Turtles,
Princess, isn't it amazing how fast the eating can change? I hope you take baby steps today. That's what I'm trying to do. I ate a lot of steak (planned) last night, but when I calculated the points I had to go into the 35. It's silly but it felt like cheating. I've gotta get a handle on my stinkin'
thinkin' and I know I can. Tomorrow my son in law is celebrating his :hb: by stopping at Cheesecake Factory and bringing in dinner for us all. I checked out points and found a salad with chicken for 12 points. I can deal with that, eat light earlier in the day, and have a sliver of cake and come out all right. That's my plan. Princess, good luck with either scale. You'll do the right thing. You've been through a lot lately and stress does all sorts of weirdo things to us. Here's to a relaxing weekend. :goodvibes:

:goodvibes: and :grouphug: to us all. I know we're working this through and getting as close to on track as we can. Let's do this! :bravo:

Lauren, how are you doing?

bandit2
04-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi turtles:

Had good day yesterday - my gf came down for our weekly dinner & she made baked chicken thighs that were really good. With that we had "butternut squash fries" - same idea as sweet potatoe fries & they were really good. We also had coleslaw & fresh shrimp. So really nice dinner.

In the afternoon we got in a 2 mile walk then a hot-tub. She enjoyed the centre & we will make that part of our weekly visit.

Princess - good luck at your w/i!

Judy - nice job pre-planning your dinner. Those things really help keep us on board & focussed. Good for you.

Donna - hope you have a great weekend as well.

Kind of cloudy up here this a.m. I have appointment at noon, then planning on getting in a walk this afternoon.

Thanks for all your support & ideas. Really helps knowing we are all in this together!

Have a great weekend.

ladynredd
04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Went to my weigh-in today; lost the exact amt. of weight I gained last week. Wish I had lost some extra, too, but I might not have lost that much if I hadn't been so diligent with my exercising this past week. Earned 14 exercise points last week, the first time I've gone beyond 10, and I intend to up the amt. a little this coming week by doing 4 miles 3 times instead of 3 miles. Going to stick with 30 minutes in the pool; that much is enjoyable and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Had a full day away from home yesterday. Went with DH to the VA for his "manogram," as he calls it, then had lunch in their excellent cafeteria. They had a very nice section where you could build your own salad or select from some that were pre-made; I had an Asian chicken salad that had lots of crunch from almonds and some chow mein noodles. Then we drove over to an area of Riverside new to us in order to use movie tickets given to us as a Christmas present. Got *thoroughly* lost along the way; I would have given up and gone to a different theater where we had to pay our own way but DH loves FREE! The fact it was 3D (Monsters vs. Aliens) was an added bonus. Ironically, I enjoyed the movie more than he did!

We ended up missing the show time so had a couple hours to kill which we filled with a very enjoyable sign language lesson from DH. I seem to learn better when I learn a few new words and then use them in very simple conversation. What we eat tonight? Tonight we eat chicken and bread. Is the bread good? Yes, the bread is very good.

Then it was over to the home of youngest son and his girl, where DS grilled a delicious tri tip. We were told it came from Costco, comes already marinated. There was a cheesy potato casserole, which I took a small serving of -- just being polite; can't offend the hostess! -- and a big salad and the bread I had made. We stayed WAY late talking after dinner; spent some time talking about the situation with oldest son and youngest son gave me some advice how to handle dividing things up in the will that I need to make. He has a lot of common sense, my youngest son does. Luckily DH is a night owl and was able to drive us home as I was like a zombie by that time.

Today we are planning to meet up with my favorite friend of DH's -- they've been friends since they were 11. He has recently moved to Watsonville, several hours north, but is back here for the weekend taking care of a bunch of stuff. DH and I plan to go to Santa Monica Pier, which I haven't seen since junior high, then meet somewhere nearby for dinner. Probably be another late night as we all love to talk!

Hope everyone has a good weekend; good thoughts are going out to all.

Itryharder
04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi Turtles,
Here's :goodvibes: to everybody! Am having a few setbacks here and there, but I don't expect my journey to be straight and without side tracks. I do expect to drink water, plan and record my food. Best of luck and good going to all of us.
Judy

Princess1122
04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday, I have had trouble getting online here at work this week but I got lucky this morning :D Food has been a real challenge this week but I have a game plan in mind to get back on track and get moving in the right direction again.

Hope all is well with everyone and have a great day!

Itryharder
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Turtles,
I'm going to my WI in a short time. I'll post back after I get my results. :bravo: to all of us. We've got what it takes to make it!
Judy

bandit2
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi turtles:

Princess - I had problems getting on our board as well.

Judy - good luck at your w/i!

I went to movies last night with my ladies group & seen "I love you, man"
Comedy - cute & funny, light fun & I had popcorn for my supper.
Hoping that won't be a problem tonight at the scale.

Hope you all have a great day!

Itryharder
04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Bandit, good luck on the scale!
I went to my meeting and lost two pounds. Usually a two pound weight loss :goodscale: would have me jumping up and down. However, a week ago I had put on 4.8# and was hoping to lose it all this week. Well, I didn't but I had some flurries of off-behavior with food this week but the good news is that I stopped the gain, and I lost some! So I have to say, "Weigh to go, Me!"

Here's :goodvibes: and :grouphug: to us all. Be well and happy and keep on keepin' on!
I've got my meals planned out for today and I should be fine.
Judy
:cool:

bandit2
04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Judy - hooray for you, kicking butt at the scale!!

bandit2
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Morning, turtles:

Well, I maintained at my Tops meeting last night. So, I was alittle disappointed since I thought I would be down abit. I guess that movie popcorn did do some damage, but still I would have thought with my walking that I still would have been down.

I have been staying on same plan for awhile, so maybe I need to shake things up abit. So that is my goal this week - to go through my journals and find some new recipes.

Have a great OP day.

ladynredd
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I have been under the weather the last several days -- couldn't keep anything down and was quite uncomfortable there for a while but yesterday I felt "normal" again, as normal as I get anyway. I won't resume walking again until next week, though, will substitute swimming instead. All the muscles around my ribs and abdomen are sore from throwing up but that should be gone by the weekend.

I've been working on an applique block from Lori Smith's "Ode to the 30's" and finished the second half of the prep work yesterday. I'm doing this as a private block of the month and try to complete at least one applique block and one pieced block each month. This block has 4 flowers, each with 5 petals, and 4 fleur-de-lis shapes. I got half the prep work done and got impatient and started sewing. I think I like the results better when I glue it all down before I start stitching.

Time to get back to making food decisions based on point values as opposed to whether or not I can keep it down. ONWARD!

Itryharder
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
hi Turtles,
Bandit, for me the salt in movie popcorn would send me up two pounds. If you are at all salt-sensitive, you might have a weight loss today as the salt leaves you. In any case, hunting out new recipes is a great idea. If you find something yummy, let us know. :bravo: :chef:

Donna, how are you doing? Got any good recipes hanging out?

I made tuna for dinner last night. Into the tuna (canned) I put a bit of pickle relish along with celery and light mayo. The relish perked it up a bit and I liked that.

Princess, how are you doing? I'd like to get moving, but in helping clear out the attic this weekend, I guess I've hurt my knee and hip. That's life--I finally feel like getting on the :tread: and now I really shouldn't. WEird!

Lauren, how are you and your dear family? Chime in when you can.
Fondly, Judy :cool:

Itryharder
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Donna, you and I posted at the same time. Sorry you were ill, and am sending you :goodvibes: to feel better fast!
Judy

LaurenH
04-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi, everyone. Sorry for the silence; I've been a bit busy.

I was out of town on business for a couple of weeks -- and gained 7 pounds!! Whoa! I'm still not sure what happened, since I ate pretty carefully. It's tough to do that in restaurants, I find, but I ate a LOT of salads.

Fortunately, about 5 have already come back off since Monday, so obviously there was some plain old bloat going on. The last 2 are probably going to take a bit longer. But I'm back on program, so I know they'll go.

Not sure if I mentioned what has been going on with my pop. He was just in the hospital again, this time because of vomiting blood. :( They scoped him yesterday and don't know what the problem is. It doesn't appear to be related to the cancer, and he hasn't even started chemo yet. (That's next week.) So we're all on a bit of a roller coaster at the moment. I just wish they lived closer; it's hard being so far away, especially when they have no support down there.

On the bright side, it's sunny and spring has finally come to Michigan. We have daffodils and tulips and happy birds, and this weekend it's getting into the 80s!

Oh, and I'll add that it's MUCH easier flying when one is thinner.

Congrats to everyone who has been doing well, and hugs to all who need them. I'm reading even when I don't post.

Princess1122
04-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Happy Friday everyone! It is beautiful here today and that is a good thing since I have lots of yard work to do this weekend... it looks like a jungle out there with all the rain we have gotten lately. Doing good with food and made it to my zumba class last night.

Best wishes to all that are sick, struggling or have ill loved ones!
Princess

Itryharder
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Lauren,
good to hear from you. I'm sorry about your dad and I'm sending prayers for him and your family.
Whew--you seem to gain weight the way I do. It doesn't take much extra eating and I'm way up in pounds. So glad a lot of the bloat is gone and I keep on thinking how successful you've been and how close you are to a really great goal.
Take it easy, be well, and :grouphug: to you. Glad you're back and posting.

Princess, yes--it's beautiful here too. I should get out and do some gardening work and prep. I'll be away for a little longer than a week starting next week. I've been successful planting morning glory, basil, and dill seeds indoors and I'm hoping the tiny plants survive my absence. I'll give my dh a hint on keeping them watered and I'll cross my fingers. I'd love to get them into the ground by the end of May. Also thinking of buying tomato plants, eggplants, and marigolds to have a tiny garden again this summer. It was great last year!
Donna, hope you're feeling much better by now.
Bandit, found any neat recipes?
Here's a quick one: top a baked pita chip with a slice of avocado and a cooked shrimp . I've never made it, but it sounds very easy and yummy!
Okay, gotta run. I'm tracking my points, my hip is feeling better, and the sun's shining. Looks like a great day!
Judy

ladynredd
04-25-2009, 01:24 PM
A beautiful day indeed. Had my weigh-in today and posted a 3.4 lb. loss! Mostly due to two solid days of vomiting, I'm sure, but it meant I cruised right past the 10-lb. mark (my first) and boy that feels good!

DH has been requesting "cookies" so I bought a couple boxes of WW snack bars for the first time. I hope that will fulfill his craving and at only 2 points each they shouldn't do me any harm if I have one once in a while.

Did a quick trip to the grocery store on the way home. They had frozen salmon fillets (small) for only a dollar apiece, so I bought one to try. I know DH doesn't care for salmon and it's not my favorite fish but one of my vows when I started WW was that I want to try at least one new food or recipe that is new to me and I don't think I've had salmon in 20 years. Close enough to "new" for me.

I also bought another package of fresh mint. It comes with the root ball, supposedly to help it stay fresh longer, so I'm going to try planting this one. I would love to have my own little pot of fresh mint among our pot garden.

Finally made it to the nursery yesterday; a lovely place. Unfortunately we got there 15 minutes before closing but we enjoyed what we saw and learned that everything will be 15% off next Saturday, so that's when we will get the dwarf navel orange tree that DH has been longing for. We had to get approval from the front office before we plant, and learned that they won't allow us to plant it where we had planned because of the possibility of hitting the irrigation lines. They suggested right in front, close to the mail box. The nursery folks will deliver it and plant it so that part is painless.

I have a few hours alone in the house so it's off to the sewing room I go!

Itryharder
04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Turtles,
I'm doing so much better. It feels good to be on track--not perfect, but pretty good!
Hey Donna, weigh to go! :goodscale: Ten pounds down is fabulous.
Everybody have a good weekend; it's lovely here and I got a few things done.
Take care:

Princess1122
04-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Morning all and happy Monday! I woke up late this morning so I feel a bit "off" so far today but hopefully that will pass as the day goes on. Made it to W/I on Saturday... was up 2.0 but I knew that I was going to be so it was not too bad. Next week will be better. Well I guess something must have happened between WW and the leader that does our Saturday morning classes because she is no longer with the company, that does not make me happy but I will not allow it to change what happens with me and my weight loss. Worked in the gardens and yard all weekend, did not take a walk but with as much work as I did I think that is count for something.

Congrats to Donna!

Judy: How was your weekend and how did all of your travels and activitys go?

Bandit: Did you have a nice weekend? Anything new up your way?

bandit2
04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Morning, turtles:

Busy weekend for me - on Friday my gf came & we got in a 2 mile walk at centre then a nice swim/hot-tub & had liver/onions for our dinner. We have that every once in awhile, not often & it was pretty good. Then Sat, I had a Tops rally thing to go to that took up most of the day - lots of information about the committees etc. Stayed in Sat night & watched TV. My dd came home yesterday & we went to centre & she worked out & I got in another big walk. So, I have gotten in lots of walking this week. As for my menus they have been pretty good. Had a sub I didn't need, but that is about the only over indulgence I had. So hoping for a loss this week at the scales.

Weather has been funny up here. Sat was sunny all day until evening then a big storm came up & there was lots of damage with trees in area & we lost power for awhile. Yesterday was cold & rainy, so I didn't get any yard work done all weekend.

Congrats Donna on your loss & Princess, I hope you drop that gain right away.

Judy - I made your veggie pie last night & enjoyed as usual. That is so good.
Brought a portion for my lunch with salad.

Hope everyone else is doing good & lets all have a great week!

ladynredd
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
It's the start of another week and I have already accomplished my most important task for the day: walking 4 miles with Leslie S. It was the first time I've gone that distance. Just 7 weeks ago I was huffing and puffing at the one-mile mark; now I'm just starting to break a sweat at the one-mile finish. I'm glad that I can see some progress. Also went swimming yesterday for 45 minutes. I'm starting to intersperse a few laps of side stroke with my "bicycling" to get the heart rate higher. I was very upset, though, when I went to use the spa after my swim and found the water there colder than in the pool! It's supposed to be 105 degrees; some idiot turned it down. DH is calling the office today to complain and so is a friend of his mother's who was there at the same time. Many people here in this over-55 community depend on that spa to help with arthritis, etc.

Planning on making chicken caccitore tonight for the first time and the recipe calls for a cup of "dry white wine." I've never used wine in cooking; can anyone make any suggestions what kind of wine I should get? And does wine add any calories?

Veggie pie? Don't think I've seen that recipe; anyone care to share?

Hoping to spend some time today in the sewing room. I want to select the fabrics and begin prepping my next applique block. Lots of stuff to watch on the telly, including "Caberet" from Netflix, and I enjoy it more if my hands are busy.

Hope everyone has a super day!

Donna D., Hemet, CA

Itryharder
04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi Turtles,
Princess, that's weird about the WW leader leaving. I hope your new leader is as good as the one you are used to. Hey, here's to a new :goodscale: this week. You deserve it!

Bandit, liver and onions, hmmm. That sounds tasty, especially with mashed potatoes on the side.
You are :strong: and :tread: and exercising like fabulous! Keep up the good work. (My hip is starting to feel better and I should be able to start exercising again soon.) Good luck at your WI.

Donna, I always ask the salesman at the liquor store for suggestions. One dry white is a riesling. And yes, adding alcohol does add calories. Try out the WW recipe builder to see how many points it adds. I know drinking 4 ounces counts as two points, but I don't know how many calories get burned up when wine is cooked in a dish. Hmm. I'm not much help, but that's a good question.

Okay, here's the recipe for Veggie Pie. I've been making this for forever. I like it because it's good for lunch, it freezes well cut into individual portions, and with a big salad it is a low point dinner.

Impossible Veggie Pie
Whoops, Donna, I've misplaced my recipe. I'll go online and see if I can find it. Be back soon.
Judy

Itryharder
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey Bandit,
I have lost my recipe, checked in my WW builder recipe account and that saved recipe is not the one I want. Would you be able to print out the Veggie Pie recipe for us?
Judy
Nice quiet weekend. Eating is quite good. I should lose a little this week and then I'm off to NC to visit with my sisters.

Princess1122
04-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday to everyone! Rainy here all week, ugh. Hard to get motivated when it rains all the time but mother nature has her reasons I guess.

Food has been good this week but the scale is not budging, going to increase my water today, I drink a ton anyway but will drink even more to hopefully get things moving.

I have that recipe somewhere but I have no idea where, sorry that I can not be much help there.

Have a great day all!

bandit2
04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Morning, everyone

Impossible Vegetable Pie

1 box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed but not cooked (I use mixed frozen veggies & fill a medium sized cereal bowl)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper (I use red pepper)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
1/2 cup Bisquick Original baking mix
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup egg beaters or other egg subsitute

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
Stir together thawed veggies, onion, bell pepper & cheese and pour into pie
plate. Stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over veggies in pie plate.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown & knife inserted in center comes
out clean. Cook 5 minutes & ENJOY!

Hope everyone has a great weigh in this week. I have meeting tonight & have gotten in lots of walking & haven't been too bad with my menu, so hoping for some kind of weight loss this week.

Have a great OP day!

bandit2
04-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Sorry - should say COOL 5 minutes not cook, typo

Itryharder
04-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Turtles,
Bandit, thanks so much for the recipe. I'm printing out two copies for myself right now. I wouldn't want to lose this one!

Princess, I hope your weight gets jiggled around a bit so you can lose weight this week. :goodscale: Here's a :goodvibes: that something good happens soon.

Hey guys, well, I thought I had a good week happening here, but only lost .2#. So I am not back to my good weight yet. Ugh. The not so good thing is that I start a trip to visit sisters tomorrow real early. We'll be eating out a lot and even trying very hard, this will be a challenge. I find restaurant food has a heck of a lot more salt and fat than I use. Okay--enough complaining! I can certainly buy a salad!!!!!! I'm going to start a new thread because I'll be gone for a little more than a week. My dh will have peace and quiet! Gotta love him.
Okay, I won't be online while I'm gone, so I'm sending :goodvibes: for good choices and good wWI's. Take care, be well and happy and I'll chime in when I return.
Judy

msmeri
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
oops