Weight Loss Support - Best or worst compliment you've ever gotten?

kelly315
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I definately want to hear the best compliments you guys have gotten, or the worst. I'm sure you know the ones, where it's an insult phrased like a compliment:
Like, you'd be so pretty if you lost some weight.

Those ones.

One of the most bizarre and insulting ones I got was from someone who looked at a before/during picture of mine. It was something along the lines of...wow, see what a good bra can do? :p

What about you guys?

onesy
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
One of the worst: "You've lost so much weight! Your facial features used to be all squished together, but now they're more defined!" womp womp...

Breannaj1215
04-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Your face is gorgeous.

Umm hello what about my body ???

lol

cdawnfine
04-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Thats easy it's the same one

OMG you lost a ton of weight and look so great I almost did not recognize you

Windchime
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
"Love your hair! It looks SOOO much better!"

kelly315
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
:p these are both kind of cruel and kind of funny (in the fact that people actually think that these are compliments!)

Tomato
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
A male colleague (a good friend) of mine calls me a skinny *****.
I love it!

JustFluffy
04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
I recently had a birthday and most people hadn't seen me for at least 4 months and I'd lost around 20lbs plus I'd been working out so my body shape was quite different.

Most everybody looked surprised when they saw me but said, "Hey, you look really GREAT!" Then one friend squealed,"Oh my God, you've lost so much weight! Wow!"

Even though it was a compliment it was a bit awkward.

VermontMom
04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
"Oh my god, what, did you lose like 50 pounds or something?!?"

I had lost about 22 :shrug: :devil:

kiramira
04-15-2009, 10:39 PM
OK, so a friend of mine and I are in Italy at an open-air market. I weighed 212 at the time, as did she. We are walking through the market, and the salesguys are yelling "Ciao, bella" which means "Hey, beautiful" to all the ladies who are walking by. So we hear this and think "how wonderful" and go into the market area, when a lone voice out of the crowd yells at us "I HAVE YOUR SIZE!!!!"
CRINGE.....
Kira

sidhe
04-16-2009, 12:15 AM
I was playing raquetball with a male friend who is a self-proclaimed "fat admirer". He likes his women large, like 350+ pounds large. At the time I weighed about 270. We were taking a breather and he looked at me and said,

"You know, you're not shaped like any other large woman I know."

He thought it was a compliment, and went on to say he wanted to have a chance to 'explore' my body and learn how it was the same/different from his other lovers! I still can't quite get my head around it. :shrug:

canadianwoman
04-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Both from the same guy.....

"You look a lot better with short hair"

"You've got nice eyebrows"

:?:

est1991
04-16-2009, 04:24 AM
ok, one time when i was getting changed for soccer practice (i was in the school bathroom) someone was complaining about the running we did, and someone else said that it would build calf muscle. i said i really didn't need anymore calf muscle (my calves have NO fat on them, it's all muscle) and this girl that i really hate said 'are you sure thats muscle, i mean, look at the rest of your body'. then, last night at a school concert i was eatting a little baggy of something and the same girl came and asked for some, since i didn't like her i said no and she said 'you know all that will go straight to your thighs'. i really don't like that girl, she is sooooo rude!

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Best compliment ever?

When I first lost a ton of weight I was putting my stuff away at the gym and I smiled at this lady who was sitting there looking really glum. I sat down and said, "Hey what's up" - and she had tears in her eyes and said, "I wish I could look like you". I was shocked. I hadn't realized until then how good I did look. So we went for coffee and I shared everything with her. We exchanged emails and chats at the gym and she went on to really lose some weight. And what she did for me was amazing too!!

Recently I went back home after a year of being away. I have gained over 30 pounds and it's very noticeable. So many people said, wow you lost weight with that awkward avoiding eye contact - why say anything at all? GRRR

twilightnurse
04-16-2009, 05:06 AM
One of my earliest memories was from a boy in 7th grade. He had moved away after kindergarten, then moved back and saw I had gained a lot of weight in that time. He said "Hey you must've eat a lot of cookies since kindergarten." Now that I'm an adult, I realize that kids don't always know what to say and don't think when they say stuff. But as awful as this may sound--it brings me great satisfaction today to know that I'm successful with a great family, friends, and boyfriend - and he is......in jail. LOL

Also,

My former boss, who is a very nice lady and friend of my mother once told me "You have a gorgeous complexion! I bet you could be a model if you would just lose some weight!"

Yep. Thanks a lot.

A compliment that I'll never forget was from my brother who was 13 at the time. About that time, I had lost 42lbs in a short time frame, and we happened to be watching a video with me in it at my heaviest weight, when suddenly he paused the video and said, "Hey look sis! It's like one of those weight loss commercials--ya know--like "BEFORE" (pointing to the paused video), and "AFTER" (pointing at me)

I thought it was cute, and made me feel very good about myself. :)

Bumbleberry
04-16-2009, 05:23 AM
The first time I lost a lot of weight, I saw my brother at Christmas and he said, "wow, MyFirstName, where'd all of you go!?"

xpinkglowx2
04-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Bad compliments: My mom is always trying to "help" her mother used to outright call her fat all the time, and i know she means well but, there is this show called "big bang theory" that my parents love. and there is this really pretty girl in it, and she says " if you lost like 40 pounds you would look just like her!" then my stepdad counters with "yeah i think she looks just like her!" trying to remove the sting. My mom is always saying stuff like that though. since im 5'11 shes always liek " you should get down to like 120 and you can be a model!" im like.. psh, im never gona be no 120...

good compliments: everyone at my job as been VERY supportive of my weight loss, it almost gives me that extra motivation to NOT eat there because everyone knows im dieting. this girl i work with, everytime i go in she says to me" youre looking so thin!!!" and theres this girl there whos nick name is "skinny minny" because she is a tooth pick. probably 95 pounds, and eats everything under teh sun. well recently everyone calls ME skinny minny. (obviously im not a tooth pick, but its nice to be encouraged)

DCHound
04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh I've gotten some doozies. Two that stand out, both negative:

"Where's the rest of you??" from a jealous relative, last time I was under 200 lbs.

"I should have married you when I had the chance!" from a man I dated off and on through college who I saw at a friend's party, again the last time I was under 200 lbs.

saef
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
These poor males. They try, even when they don't know how.

Once, when I worked as a news reporter, I went on an assignment with a photographer who I'd developed a major crush on. I was thrilled that we were going off alone together on a nice day.

I was sitting in his car with my notebook ready, waiting for him to climb in. After he did, he leaned on the steering wheel, paused for a significant moment, looked at me & suddenly said: "You know, you've got eyes like a dog."

I must have looked nonplussed, because he then elaborated:

"You know, like a malamute or a husky. One of those blue-eyed dogs."

After a few weeks, this became a joke between us, so he did eventually catch on & understood that comparing any part of a woman to a dog probably wasn't going to be taken in good grace.

[Nothing romantic ever happened between us. He already had a girlfriend, another reporter he'd carried on with, while still married. All the time I knew him, he always had at least one girlfriend but more often, two. I saw what trouble he was & made one of my sanest decisions ever, which was to STAY AWAY & just be friends.]

iamacrayon
04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
My little sister is a great one for coming out with things, usually of the horrible variety, I wonder when it will stop...when I was younger she used to call me "horse thighs" and last week she saw me after losing 60lbs and said I have a "pea head" that didn't look in proportion.

A double edged compliment from my professor who I am very close to and consider her family was, "you look so good now you have lost weight, keep going, I can see you face now because it's very delicate and before it was covered"...ohh well...

JulieJ08
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
It just doesn't seem that people are raised with manners. I don't get it.

unwanted37lbs
04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
ok there was one older lady (in her 70s i believe) who i met once at my bridal shower. It was 5 years ago. Last month i saw her at walmart and she asked if it as me, and i said yes...then she said " I thought it was you! you are alot heavyer now than you were when i saw you!" I was like "i have 2 kids under age 3 now, maybe thats why"... that was very upsetting comment. From then on i got membership to the gym and lost 11 lbs so far :)

xchampagnedream
04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I had someone ask me when I was at my highest weight...ARE YOU PREGNANT?!? a few times that happened to me because I carry all my weight in my stomach. ugh

CakeBatter
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
"Oh my god, what, did you lose like 50 pounds or something?!?"

I had lost about 22 :shrug: :devil:

OMG I Could''ve whipped the b*tch's a** when that happened to me. FOr me it did you lose almost 100 lbs. 215 is my highest weigh I had lost about 30 when this was asked. Effin B***** sorry guys

angiemo3
04-16-2009, 03:54 PM
My boss (an 86 year old woman I take care of) told me one day, "Your really a pretty girl...PAUSE....I wish you would lose weight, I worry about you." :dizzy:

sws19
04-16-2009, 04:16 PM
angiemo - that's sorta both very hurtful and really sweet at the same time.

i once got the "are you pregnant?" question in an elevator. i said no. and then we proceeded to ride in silence as the elevator slowly crawled northward. awkward.

some friends whom i haven't seen in a few months have now been commenting how i look like i've lost a ton of weight, which i know is a compliment but i still hate because it draws attention to that which i'd rather forget. i mean, i knew i was fat, but i somehow hadn't realized just how bad i'd gotten but apparently i was the only one suffering from that delusion.

bitetoobreakkskin
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
well..my first one came from a very sweet coworker who pulled me to the side and politely asked "are you expecting??"..no...so from then on i would ask her each day-do i look pregnant today?? haha..

the 2nd came from my five yr old sister (the one you see in my avatar)-i asked her the other day "aliyah, do you think im fat?" ((per a previous convo between me and my OTHER sister))...she said

"NO!! but you do have a very big belly..."...it was just so cute but yeah..

Thighs Be Gone
04-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't know why it bothers me--it seems silly really---but when I was down about 40 pounds down a woman I have had conflict with in the past came up to me and said, "You look great--I am so proud of you.." when she said this it sounded very patronizing to me..like there was another motive behind it or something....or the whole, "I am so proud of you" thing---it sort of implies a superior/subordinate relationship or something.

Rosinante
04-16-2009, 04:31 PM
A dear old lady once told me a few years ago how I should keep wearing black as it was so slimming.
I was around 190 at the time and had lost 50lbs to get there, and she'd seen me every week....

Some years later, I was probably around the same weight again and another old lady, whom I only saw 2 or 3 times a year laughed when she saw me, because she said it looked so strange to see me fat. I'd been 136 when I'd first met her.

Wish I'd held onto that blinding ping moment - she'd met me at a normal weight and it had never occurred to her that I had been or could be fat. I had felt like a fat person who had temporarily got slim. This time I will be a slim person who has temporarily been fat. OK 53 years is a long temporary.

JulieJ08
04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
My mom told me once my dresses would look better if I just wore some kind of girdle under it. Even my sister was flabbergasted by it :)

She also asked me once, with people around (family, but still), what size I wore these days. I said Mom! She said, well, she just wanted to know if some of her pants would fit me - in the hurt/martyr tone moms can do so well. Again, my sister said you can't ask that!

Ah well, I DO love my mom. She is mostly VERY supportive, just doesn't have the same filters all the time.

kiramira
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Saef -- eyes like a DOG?!!! Hahahahaha!!!
Kira

MindiV
04-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Probably the best compliment I've ever gotten was from my nephew, who's 18. I hadn't seen him for several months while I was losing weight, and went to my brother's place for a visit. He didn't know I was there and walked out of his bedroom and ran into me, literally. He said hi and walked on..then stopped, turned around, did a double take and literally grabbed me and hugged me three or four times just repeating "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! You look SO good!"

I wish I could remember that when I get the catty "you look sick" comments now, instead of letting them get to me...

saef
04-16-2009, 05:16 PM
:lol:Kira: WOOF!

kiramira
04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Saef: I hear that pulling a sled in Alaska is GREAT for working out your lower body and arms!!! Congrats on reaching your goal! You rock and are an inspiration!!!
Kira

Jacque9999
04-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I am new here, but I have been trying to get back in shape for awhile. I have been at the gym 2 times this week, done by 6:30 am. Both days I called my boyfriend when I was finished (he was on his way to work to tell him that I have been to the gym. His reply:

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!

That makes me feel really good!!!

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

mudskippersgrl
04-16-2009, 05:37 PM
At my starting weight, I just hated when I went shopping in a "regular" store and the employees come up to me and ask, "are you having trouble finding your size??" ARRG!! Thats so embarrassing!

Even now at my current weight when I walk into those "skinny people stores" like Forever 21 and such, you can just feel them staring at you waiting for you to realize that I'm still to fat and to just leave the store.... :(

MindiV
04-16-2009, 05:49 PM
I feel you on that one, mudskippersgrl...I need to go shopping SO badly for spring/summer stuff, but the "non-plus sized" stores make me so nervous I keep putting off the trips. When I used to walk into those places, I fit in. I would avoid "skinny" sections like the plague because I hated the "YOU DON'T BELONG HERE!" stares. Now I feel like I still get them, even though I probably don't...

twilightnurse
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
MindiV--

You look GREAT, congrats on your success.

How long did it take you to reach your goal?

xpinkglowx2
04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm having the opposite problem now... i want to shop at the plus size store... they have cuter clothes then the "regular" stores... lol but that stuff doesnt fit me now! its backwards:( im in between.. too small for the plus sized store... still a little too big for the "normal store" i guess they just want me to go naked.

i saw the CUTEST dress at Torrid. and i wanted it SO bad. i think i might just buy it and save it for my "goal" dress and then have it taken in once i get there.

thistoo
04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
My little sister is a great one for coming out with things, usually of the horrible variety, I wonder when it will stop...when I was younger she used to call me "horse thighs" and last week she saw me after losing 60lbs and said I have a "pea head" that didn't look in proportion.

My sister does this too, though she's trying to be nice. The last one was when we were out for our Sunday walk with her kids. She glanced over at me and said, "Wow, your butt is so much smaller than it used to be!" Right in front of her husband.

Hey, thanks, Sis. That's not embarrassing at ALL. But she's my *older* sister, and I don't let her forget it. ;)

Windchime
04-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't know why it bothers me--it seems silly really---but when I was down about 40 pounds down a woman I have had conflict with in the past came up to me and said, "You look great--I am so proud of you.." when she said this it sounded very patronizing to me..like there was another motive behind it or something....or the whole, "I am so proud of you" thing---it sort of implies a superior/subordinate relationship or something.

You know, I have trouble with this one, too. I have a close relative that will sometimes say that she's "proud of me" for slimming down and it really bugs me. It's almost as if she is somehow claiming that she's had something to do with it, or like she's "proud" that I am finally making the right choices? I dunno. I've never really been able to put my finger on why it bugs me, but I think you might be right--it kind of implies a superior/subordinate relationship.

On the other hand, the day that my Dad said he was proud of me for going back to college and changing careers--that was a really, really good day.

Windchime
04-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm having the opposite problem now... i want to shop at the plus size store... they have cuter clothes then the "regular" stores... lol but that stuff doesnt fit me now! its backwards:( im in between.. too small for the plus sized store... still a little too big for the "normal store" i guess they just want me to go naked.

You and I are the same height and I have the same problem. "Womens" sizes are generally too big (and too short) for me, but "Misses" sizes are generally too skimpy and tight. When I lost weight before (coincidently, I was right around 207), I really grieved that I had become too small to shop at Lane Bryant. That was my comfort zone and I felt like I was surrounded by similarly-sized people. Even the sales staff is/was comfortably fluffy for the most part and I didn't feel judged or embarrassed to have them help me find my size. So even though I was happy to finally be able to shop Misses sizes, I was sad that I was leaving my comfort zone.

jessx22
04-17-2009, 02:55 AM
I’ve had tons of backhanded compliments in the past few years! A lot of the “you have such a pretty face” compliments, like that’s going to make up for me being a fat ***! I know people mean well by them (well, I HOPE people mean well by them) but they really need to take a class or something. The few that have really stuck with me are:

“You’re such a pretty girl… it’s really a shame that you’re… uh…” then they just walked away. Huh.

“You don’t look as fat as usual in that top!”

“Wow, you really know how to dress to make yourself look normal instead of hefty!” Yes, they said hefty, and I dunno, am I not “normal” because I’m larger?

And my favorite:

“Maybe you should get in the tanning bed. Tan fat is prettier than pale fat. You could be gorgeous!”

Boy, those are some zingers!

And the one time I took my best friend (a massive 5’10” 100 pound model) into Lane Bryant with me, she almost cried with relief when we left and said “Did you see the looks I got in there? Now I know how you feel when I take you into all my skinny stores!”

tarryn
04-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Ive posted about this before, but incase some of u havnt read!

Bad-
I was pulled into bosses office for department manager and head boss to offer me a better position. One of my department managers 'way' of convincing me to take the job was to say- "Tarryn you know, you have changed soo much since you started working here, when you started you ddint really have a very good attitude and you were overweight..."

Mind you she was always at least 40 lbs heavier than me at my highest (not that is a competition). I was just so mortified and couldnt see at all how that was relevant- especially the bad attitude part.

Good-
Nothing specific just the general wow you look good complimentss, even though sometime it gets sort of awkward when i don't know what to say...you get sick of saying thanks over and over!

LaLa21
04-17-2009, 03:47 AM
This is a good thread. I remember when I was about 13 and I had just gotten braces. I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned and the dental assistant who was working on me said, "Well, usually people who have braces lose weight. I guess it didn't work for you." I was mortified. I remember as soon as I got in the car with my mom to go home I busted out crying.

Another time was when I got my senior portraits taken in high school. I went to my grandparents house to show them to them. My grandpa took one look and said to my grandma, "Wow, she's really heavy there." Yes, this was right in front of me. I just remember the big lump in my throat trying to hold back my tears. I'm really sensitive, if you haven't guessed by now.

The stinging comments don't seem to stop even when you lose weight though, don't you think? Like somehow ppl think that its suddenly okay to tell you how fat you used to be and its not gonna hurt your feelings all of a sudden. Like, "Wow, you've lost a LOT of weight!! I can't believe it!!" or yes, the "sick" comments or my grandma who would always try to feed me when I lose weight! haha

MissVitality
04-17-2009, 05:52 AM
In one of my first intimate encounters with a man when I was in my late teens, he told me I could "be doing with losing some of that stomach". Heck, no wonder I have body image issues!

Another time, my 4 year old niece came clothes shopping with me. In a changing room, she said in all innocence "I think you are going to have a baby".

My mum "you will need to do something as I am not going into stores and being embarrassed buying Size X clothes for you" She has never complimented me on my weight loss but has told others how proud she is of me.

When I first started my weight loss journey, my boss congratulated me on how well I was doing, adding "I mean, you have always had such a pretty face, but....."

A woman who goes to my Church said "You have lost SO much weight, but then you were really needing to. A young girl like you should never have gotten that big."

My current boss, when he found out how much exercise I do each week said "I'm surprised by that. I'll need to revise the assumptions I had about you". I think he feels bad about it now as he always shows a great interest in the fitness classes I do and calls me "Mrs Motivator".

A co-worker recently exclaimed in such a patronising manner "You eat so healthily. I am SO proud of you." I was so angry, I felt like kicking her in the teeth. She would never have said that to someone who wasn't overweight. I have eaten healthily the whole time I have worked with this person so my eating habits should never have come as seemingly such a big surprise to her.

On the positive side, I have had many many compliments since starting my weight loss journey from such a wide selection of people. I even started jotting them down in a notebook and would look back on these when my motivation was flagging. (I recommend this to everyone!) My favourite was being called "the incredible shrinking woman".

Probably the most supportive people are the women at my fitness classes. They are a constant boost to my self-confidence. Bless them.

MindiV
04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
MindiV--

You look GREAT, congrats on your success.

How long did it take you to reach your goal?

Thanks! It took me just about a year...my original goal was 160, but it just kept coming off 'til I hit 140. I had trouble going from weight loss calories to maintenance calories...but I think my body is "happy" where it is now!

sws19
04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
At my starting weight, I just hated when I went shopping in a "regular" store and the employees come up to me and ask, "are you having trouble finding your size??" ARRG!! Thats so embarrassing!

Even now at my current weight when I walk into those "skinny people stores" like Forever 21 and such, you can just feel them staring at you waiting for you to realize that I'm still to fat and to just leave the store.... :(

ya know what? they might be, but they're crazy. some of the sizes in h&m and urban outfitters are just so unrealistic. an anecdote: i remember in high school (over 10 years ago) i bought a skirt from urban and could only fit into the largest size possible. i was like, i can only squeeze into the largest size this store makes??!? now that's just grrreat!
and just to provide some context for the absurdity of their size ranges, im attaching a picture of me in the outfit (i'm on the right). you can't see the skirt, but to give you an idea of what we're talking about here, realize that i have always been more top heavy than bottom heavy. i'm a true apple. what's especially absurd bout this all is i vividly remember just how fat and gross i felt at the time. what a joke!

MindiV
04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
I think the WORST comment I ever received was back when I was a younger teenager. My sister and I (she was also overweight) were eating in the restaurant...just a burger and fries each. This older guy we didn't know walked by us to the restroom, and on his way out stopped at our table. He asked us if we really thought we should be eating those fries, because it really didn't look as if we needed them. And he just walked away.

bronte155
04-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Oh gosh, so many of these are terrible! I've had my share of those, too, especially back in high school when I was a lot heavier than I am now. But here's a nicer one to balance out the horrifying ones--I'm in a long-distance relationship and saw my boyfriend recently for the first time since I started losing weight.

He made just the right amount of fuss over me losing weight when he first saw me and then we went on with our evening. Later he turned to me and said, "You know, where you can really see the weight loss is in your face."

I was about to respond poorly, since that made me feel like he thought my face was incredibly bloated before! But then he went on to say, "Yeah, your eyes are brighter and you smile more. You seem a lot more confident and happy, and that is really great to see."

He got a kiss for that. :)

Rowenna
04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
A woman I babysit for told me I looked really skinny. I had only lost about five pounds, and I didn't think it was noticeable, so I felt really good, until she added, "is it just starving college student syndrome?" After trying so hard to change my habits and be healthier, she just assumed I was underfed or something.

Also, when I came home from college, up 20-30 pounds from the last time my dad had seen me, he was constantly pointing out my spare-tire fat and commenting on it. I told him I wanted to wear my Mom's wedding dress when I get married someday, and he looked kind of disbelieving and said "you know your Mom was a lot smaller than you when we got married..." That comment is seriously what put me over the edge, and now I am so excited to get married in the dress, weighing exactly what my mom weighed just to show my dad I can!

As for good compliments, a guy I see regularly in class, but don't know very well, told me that a was looking great a few months ago. He said "you definitely didn't look like you needed to lose weight, but you look great now." Just the right compliment that didn't make it seem like he used to think I was gross. Since then, he's commented several times on new pieces of clothing I've gotten (smaller clothing) and how great things look on me.

Also, my boyfriend is pretty oblivious most of the time - he's supportive, and encouraging, but doesn't notice stuff a lot. Every so often, though, he'll put his arms around me and say "You're teeny-tiny!" and I think it is the most adorable thing ever. It's my favorite compliment.

Lachelle
04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, ever since I was a little kid, and my dad and my brother both made a lot of disparaging comments when I was growing up. Phrases like "fat sow" were often hurled my way. I choose not to have much of a relationship with either one of them these days.

Since I started losing weight, I've been getting a lot of positive comments from folks at work. One girl, when she found out I joined a gym and have been working out, said my eyes are brighter and I have more of a bounce in my step. I thought that was pretty nice.

cammieb
04-18-2009, 04:11 PM
The things people will say. My jaw dropped a few times while reading these.

I've had a couple of mean comments tossed my way. One was from my best friend. I sent her an e-mail with a picture of me now because she wanted to see what I looked like and as I'm talking to her on the phone, she gasps and says, "Oh my God. Your breasts are so tiny now. Awww, I'm so sorry." I was like, WTF?! That's what you notice. My canadian relatives recently came to visit and when they saw me they were like, "Wow, you lost so much weight we almost didn't recognize you. You were so large. But you look great now." I think they meant it as a compliment but ouch. Like I really needed reminding.

I think the one that made me feel the worst was when one of my co-workers offered me a piece of chocolate. My manager immediately said, "Oh, she won't eat that. She's anorexic." How rude! And that was not during my "I shall eat almost nothing" phase. I was eating 1200 - 1500 calories a day.

On the flip side, my nicest compliment was from my co-worker. Me and a few of the girls were talking about weight loss and the guy didn't get why I wanted to lose weight. I told him I wanted to get down to at least 130 if not less and he gave me the most puzzling stare. Finally, he asked how much I weighed and when I told him, he just blinked for a while. Then, he finally said, "No way, you look like you weigh about 110." I was smiling like a fool the whole time. Of course, it helps that he's cute.

ShrinkingNicole
04-18-2009, 05:05 PM
best-
1.me and a friend were walking up to her house the one night and i was like "its freezing out here" she than said, "well maybe if you had some meat on your bones you wouldnt be so cold" (loved it!)
2.i ran into a friend i hadnt seen since high school. the first thing she said was "wow you got so skinny" (made my day)

worst-
1. my dad told my mom that he was worried my husband was going to leave me b/c i gained weight. (my husband never once commented on my weight and thought i was perfect no matter what i weighed. my dad on the other hand is very vain)
2. about 6 months after my wedding my mom and i went to visit my grandparents. the first thing my grandfather said to me was "you must be eating good since getting married, you gained a lot of weight", i just gave a funny smile and said thanks grandpop.

WhitePicketFences
04-18-2009, 07:10 PM
The one that stuck the longest was actually a comment that I got when I was only about 150 lbs or so (I'm 5'8).

My father squinted at me walking up in a pair of black pants and said, "You know, WhitePicket, you look so much thinner in pants than in skirts." At the time I wore skirts and dresses often, especially skirts. It was years before I could wear them again regularly, and to this day I still think of it every time I look at/buy/wear a skirt. I know he wouldn't even remember that and that it wasn't meant to be complimentary nor hurtful -- he just says almost everything that pops in his head.

The best was this March, when I went to the dentist for my 6 month checkup and the dental hygenist asked me if I lost weight. I affirmed, and she went on to say that she could really tell in the face, that my face looked thinner. I liked hearing that and actually, it wasn't until then that I realized my face was thinner.

Buttercup
04-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I went home for my grandparents 75the wedding anniversary. I hadn't been home in awhile as my husband was in the military. At the party, in front of everyone, my grandmother says "You've sure got big"!!!:o

Betony
04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I went home for my grandparents 75the wedding anniversary. I hadn't been home in awhile as my husband was in the military. At the party, in front of everyone, my grandmother says "You've sure got big"!!!:o

And I thought it was just my family that did stuff like that!:o

Mikayla
04-19-2009, 12:29 AM
When I was in high school my grandmother always used to tell me "If you would lose some weight you'd be so much prettier than your friends."----This comment really sticks in my head, in high school I was 160lbs, I would do back flips in the street to be that weight now.

A few days ago while my mom and I were taking a walk we ran into one of her friends. While engaging in conversation my mom blurted out "Mikayla has lost 27lbs!" Her friend looked at me and said " WOW that is SOOOOO great! Like I was a 4 yr old who had just put their toys away without having to be asked. I'm surprised she didn't clap. *rolls eyes*

Jassica
04-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Best : I never realized how skinny you are! (when was about 130)

Worst: Looks they're feeding you well over there.

Ilene
04-19-2009, 01:20 AM
The worse before I lost weight : "You've gained a LOT of weight since the last time I saw you" met the same lady after losing weight "You look awesome"

The worse after I lost weight : "OMG :fr: have you been sick!!" :rolleyes: With a freaked out expression too ...

When I was a teenager one of my aunts commented on my weight loss, I said that I had lost about 10 lbs, she said : "No way NOT that much" ... I do know how to count you know :rolleyes:

This discussion, and seeing the comments that are insulting to some, makes me realize that I may have insulted people inadvertently.

WormwoodDoll
04-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I saw my ex-boyfriend this past weekend and yesterday he told me I "went and got gorgeous over the last three years".

Hahah.

Oh and I love this one:
"You have a pretty face, you'd be a knock-out if you lost weight".

Moonlight Mistress
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I have been very lucky as I have not gotten any really rude comments about my weight or my weight loss. But, last week a woman I work with said: "Sarah, you're losing TOO much weight." My response was: "There's no such thing as losing TOO much weight."

Of course I don't believe this...but I just wanted to shut her up. Espeically since she's always talking about how everyone should eat healthy and lose weight, but I constantly see her eating junk and she's overweight.

Biddy
04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
When I was in elementary, I was quite a little porker, but I became a normal size when I stretched out in my teens. So during the teen years, my parents and I went out to lunch with an old friend of theirs. To my embarrassment, he turned to me and said "wow, you've really thinned out. You used to be quite....(and here is where he puffed out his cheeks).

DCHound
04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I got a really, really nice one over the weekend. I saw a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a year (we get together every year around the same time) and one of them said to me, "wow, you are looking positively skinny!" which, of course, I'm not, but it was really nice.

x0me880x
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Your face is gorgeous.

Umm hello what about my body ???

lol

Omg the you have a beautiful face comments are the worst! lol. That and you have beautiful skin lol.

luvja
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I was in Jamaica, walking down the street by myself one night. I walked past this guy Andre that I know, I was actually on my way to meet him at the beach, but I guess he was walking to my apartment to meet me.... Anyway, so I walk right past him and I turn around and yell "UMMM ANDRE WHAT THE HE**?!" He turns around and says, "Sherri?" I'm like..."Yeah"...so he goes "Holy sh**, I didn't even recognize you!" (which was nice), then he continues to say, "Your like really pretty now"..... I'm like..."Uhhh thanks"... In my head I was thinking, so what? Was I ugly before or something?. Sweet and sour all at the same time! :lol:

x0me880x
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
The worse before I lost weight : "You've gained a LOT of weight since the last time I saw you" met the same lady after losing weight "You look awesome"

The worse after I lost weight : "OMG :fr: have you been sick!!" :rolleyes: With a freaked out expression too ...

When I was a teenager one of my aunts commented on my weight loss, I said that I had lost about 10 lbs, she said : "No way NOT that much" ... I do know how to count you know :rolleyes:

This discussion, and seeing the comments that are insulting to some, makes me realize that I may have insulted people inadvertently.

I just have to say that I LOVE the quote at the bottom about failure!!!

hcl777
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree with some of the postings above...the worst comments are when people gush and say "have you lost weight"? They think they're giving you a compliment, but in actuality they're really saying "I thought you were fat all those years and never said anything".

Sheesh, I just wish people would just judge us by the content of our character! :P

Blackie
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
What I really hate is the question "How much have you lost"? I will usually answer with something like "well I am half way to my goal". What really gets me is after that answer I often get, "How many pounds have you lost?". I am trying to think of something clever to say instead of "it's really none of your business". I might just start saying 5 pounds. Yes that's it, for the next year I am just going to keep answering 5 pounds. ;)

Windchime
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
What I really hate is the question "How much have you lost"? I will usually answer with something like "well I am half way to my goal". What really gets me is after that answer I often get, "How many pounds have you lost?". I am trying to think of something clever to say instead of "it's really none of your business". I might just start saying 5 pounds. Yes that's it, for the next year I am just going to keep answering 5 pounds. ;)

Depending on who is asking, I will just continue to answer vaguely, "Oh, not sure....a few". They will eventually understand that you don't want to answer. I like your stock answer of 5 pounds, though......that's a good one!

The best compliment I've ever gotten is from a close guy friend that I see occaisionally. He always says, "I love your pretty hands." That's such an unusual compliment and I know he means it, so it always makes me feel good.

RachelOnADiet
04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
I guess the best compliments I've received (about my appearance at least) have been from friends or family saying that I'm beautiful, and my ex was never shy about calling me hot....

The worst would be something my grandmother said the other day: "We're going to have to fight the boys off with a stick when you lose all that weight!" ....I'm sure she meant well.

lisaslost
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I have 2 good ones and only out the mouth of men.
1) Your butt was so cute and round what happened? What happened, my back got fatter and made my butt get smaller (or just appear that way). 2) Your not fat it just your middle, your arms and legs are normal. So I guess I look like an orange with toothpicks for arms and legs.

Dalgishake
04-22-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree with hcl777 - I feel worse when people I know comment on weight loss, because I imagine what they must have been thinking before.
"You look really pretty now" just affirms what a mess I was. On the positive side, it keeps me more motivated to never go back there again.

I also dislike the comments like "Wow, you're so skinny!" Sure, I'm a bit smaller but definitely far from skinny.

x0me880x
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
I agree with hcl777 - I feel worse when people I know comment on weight loss, because I imagine what they must have been thinking before.
"You look really pretty now" just affirms what a mess I was. On the positive side, it keeps me more motivated to never go back there again.

I also dislike the comments like "Wow, you're so skinny!" Sure, I'm a bit smaller but definitely far from skinny.

I hate when people comment on my weightloss! Thankfully I have not gotten much yet, but thats probably because I have not been around most family since it has started. I know there are people around me, who had to have noticed, I mean I guess 85lb is kind of much, and I went down 4 jean sizes, but I really appreciate them not saying anything.

I remember once years ago I lost about 40lb, and I got so much attention from like aunts, grandparents, etc. I just hated it. It was all this "omg you lost so much weight you look great!" yada yada nonsense. Yet these people never took time to comment on the way I looked in the past. Anything beyond "you have such beautiful skin and hair" which is just awkward in itself.

So yeah I don't think that people realize, many who lose a large amount of weight, don't want to hear about it from others. Thats somthing I wish people would understand.

MoonGirl
04-23-2009, 06:49 AM
My mum came round the other day and noticed I'd lost some weight (29 lbs in 2 months) and asked how I did it. I told her calories counting with loads of salads, stir frys etc and she said; "Oh, the starvation diet."

My weight has always been her hobby, despite her being quite a bit bigger than me.

My boyfriend (who tries so hard with compliments - bless him) said to me; "You look younger now." Wasn't sure what to make of that one!!

I used Preparation H on my forehead lines. Which has worked if anyone wanted to try it.

xpinkglowx2
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I think im the opposite, i love when peope comment on my weight loss. it gives me a huge boost of confidence to know what im doing is working. i know people are saying that it makes them feel like they looked horrible before but the fact is, i know i looked horrible before, and just because i know it, doesnt mean no one else noticed. i like that people notice that i DONT look horrible anymore. if they dint say anything i would feel like i still looked the same. Though i have come across a few people who hear someone compliment me and then i say "oh thanks yeah! i lost 28 pounds" and then they join in and say "yeah its really noticeable! i just didnt want to say anything incase you didnt want to hear it"

time2lose
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I generally enjoy the compliments on weight loss that I have gotten. I have not wanted to spend money on clothes for short-term wear so I have been wearing my clothes way too big. It finally got to the point where I had to get a few new things and apparently the new clothes make my weight loss obvious. This week I have gotten a number of compliments.

My boss gave me one of the most awkward compliments, "Your face is looking...ah, ah,...... lots narrower." I felt sorry for him. It seemed like he wanted to give me a compliment, start it, then faltered. I decided to take it the way I think he meant it, said "Thanks" and changed the topic. I think that he was relieved!

lixximajig
04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
"Your face is looking...ah, ah,...... lots narrower."

Your boss is funny!!

My aunt that I haven't seen since Christmas came by just now, and I was in my jogging gear and she commented, "You lost weight! Like your sister (when she got married) now!"

I didn't really want to bring up that topic and went "No lah, still the same..." hoping she would drop it, but no, she had to go, "You got lose weight! That time you were so fat!"

Yah, okay, thanks for stating the obvious. Moving on now...

ceal2000
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi, the best compliment that I received was from someone that I had not seen in 3 months, at the time I had a job that was very stressful & I decided to start running for stress relief, I also started really making an effort to eat more healthy and in turn started losing weight, I was waiting for my friend in our usual meeting place and he walked right by me, I thought that he was teasing me so I waited for him to walk back over to me,
after about 5 minutes of waiting I walked over to him and he stared at me, I said hello and he was totally shocked and said that I had lost so much weight that he did not know who I was when he walked by me, of course that gave me a big boost. He had no idea that I had been working out etc. until he saw me that day , I expected him to be surprised but not shocked! whenever I really need motivation I think about this and it really motivates me, by the way that friend is now my husband. :) & we've been married for 22 years. Sorry for writing such a long post.

WhitePicketFences
04-23-2009, 02:51 PM
What I really hate is the question "How much have you lost"? I will usually answer with something like "well I am half way to my goal". What really gets me is after that answer I often get, "How many pounds have you lost?". I am trying to think of something clever to say instead of "it's really none of your business".

When someone clarifies that "No, I was asking [insert specific personal question here]" I smile and announce in a friendly voice that Yeah, I was dodging their question.

People take this well, actually; just be good-natured about it rather than taking a censoring tone.

I say this to my dad after initial dodges. He pries into my finances. He dryly says, "I was asking ..." and I say stuff like, "I know, and I ignored it. Keep up, keep up!" It makes him laugh heartily and drop the inquiry. Obviously I'd be a little more gentle with a work acquaintance or something :)

losermom
04-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I got a the best compliment this morning from a co-worker: "You look 10 years younger." How nice is that? Love it!

WVUFan86
04-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I was told once that I had the eyes like the devil with a freaked out look he said it was creepy (he was very religious and actually quite scared :lol: ).....they are dark brown almost black, I have very dark brown hair with a red hue and pale pale skin.....kinda bothered him :) i thought it was funny

DianaG
04-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I think the best compliment I have gotten lately was my husband telling me he loves how beautiful I am and can't believe I am about to turn 40.;)

The worst compliment I get all the time is the "you have such a pretty face." I always continue the thought in my head of "but your body...." even if the other person might not be meaning that.:(

The rudest comment I ever got was from a kid about 10 when I was 3 weeks away from giving birth to my first daughter. I was about 274 at the time. I was taking a walk because I walked every day I was pregnant to keep my blood sugar down. He got off the school bus and told me "wow, you're the fattest person I've ever seen."

Maybe it was the pregnancy hormones, but I went home and cried my eyes out that day.

MoonGirl
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I want to share my personal favorite put down. This has helped me out when I've had comments about my weight, appearance, work, friends, child crying in a supermarket, etc. Although this only works with *****y women.

I say: "You have a moustache." Try to wave your finger around your top lip area.

Then you walk away.

Done!! You'll feel amused. They won't slag off anyone else, or at least think twice before they do. Everyone's a winner (except them).

WhitePicketFences
04-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I say: "You have a moustache." Try to wave your finger around your top lip area.

Then you walk away.

Done!! You'll feel amused.

Ha, I am way amused just reading this. Suddenly I kind of wish we went to high school together, or something.

TikiTikiTiki
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Some of these actually made me gasp out loud. The things people say... :o

The best compliment I ever got (weight-related) was from my husband (at the time boyfriend). I'd been working my rear off - literally - for a year and was at my adult lowest weight at the time. We'd only been dating a month or so, so he hadn't really seen me heavier. I don't recall what we were talking about, but in the course of the conversation he said something like "I guess you wouldn't have, though, 'cause you're thin." He just went on with the conversation while I stood there dumbfounded. :lol: He's the only person I remember in my life, ever, who's called me thin.

The worst comment-which-I-think-was-supposed-to-be-a-compliment was from my mother-in-law. We didn't (and don't) see my husband's family much and so she'd seen me at the aforementioned lowest weight when we first met. Fast forward, oh, to a year and a half after the wedding when we met her and some of her sisters for lunch. My husband and I had both been packing on the pounds in the meantime, but I started heavier relative to my height than him, so it showed on me more. Still, he was a little bigger than last she'd seen him.

We're sitting in the restaurant at this table of women I barely know, and she says to him "Gee, you've put on a lot of weight." Without missing a beat, she turns to me and continues, "You must be doing all the cooking!" :rolleyes:

Lori259
04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Best Compliment~From My hubby~He says He thinks I am beautiful no matter what size I am ~He's the best liar ever!! hahaha~No All kidding aside he seems to truely mean it. He's A Keeper!! We have been married for 16 years (I was 17 he was 19 when we got married~I AM SO IN LOVE WITH HIM)

Worst Compliment~Your looking great but you need to get your teeth fixed there looking bad and have your thyroid checked because your hair is getting really thin~
(from a relative who means well But always says the wrong things~She is a nurse)She always finds peoples flaws that she thinks needs a fixing and while complimenting adds the "BUT" Which means its a compliment I can do with out HAHAHA

Oh well~THANKS GOD FOR 3fc & MY HUBBY!

LandonsBaby
04-25-2009, 10:59 PM
We're sitting in the restaurant at this table of women I barely know, and she says to him "Gee, you've put on a lot of weight." Without missing a beat, she turns to me and continues, "You must be doing all the cooking!" :rolleyes:

She may have thought she was complimenting your good cooking. Maybe?

The other day I was walking to the store and some guy said "Girl, you are just too cute!". That was sorta nice.

TikiTikiTiki
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
She may have thought she was complimenting your good cooking. Maybe?

I suspect she may have meant it that way, but she's also the queen of passive aggression, so it's hard to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's very skilled at the "Those pants are so nice; you can hardly tell your thighs are so big" type 'compliments'.

The cooking one stands out in my memory because a) it was one of the first she ever shot at me and b) my husband did (and still does) all the cooking. :lol:

Onmyway
04-26-2009, 01:20 AM
I can't decide which is worse, people who go on and on about my weight loss or those who look me up and down and then don't say anything. It's like you can tell they notice but they don't know what to say. It's kind of weird.

A simple "keep up the good work" or "keep doing what you are doing" would be fine with me. It acknowledges the change without dwelling on the amount.