Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/190/150

Default Grilling Season is Here!

Hooray! It's springtime! I love to cook on the grill. It feels so primitive .

I love turkey burgers, with the patties made fresh (not the frozen pre-made patties):

150 calories for the burger
30 cals for the fat-free slice of cheese
100 calories for the roll (Arnold multi-grain sandwich thins, delicious!)
lettuce, tomato, onion, dab of ketchup, mustard, etc....

= Very reasonable calories for something so filling and fun.

Can others share grilling ideas? I'm also wondering what are the 'best' lo-fat hot dogs? Thanks!

Marianne
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

low-fat hotdogs---get the Ballpark white turkey franks--45 calories and 0 fat..MMMMMmmm

I love making chick pea burgers and then freezing them and putting them on the grill...I also love making salmon cakes and freezing them and putting them on the grill...

we are getting lots of good shrimp right now for some rock bottom prices..tonight I think I am trying shrimp burgers

most of the time I will forego the bun due to calories--has anyone found a great alternative to no bun--I have done lettuce leaves, and I have also done 1/2 a bun and done like an open-faced fare...

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I tend to buy morningstar vegetarian 'Italian sausages' (frozen, 120 cals) to eat as hotdogs. I've just really taken to them. I microwave them for lunch once in awhile.

Last night my husband grilled some mahi-mahi that I had prepared with a little lime juice and spices -- it was so, so good. I had a 1/4 cup of brown rice and some steamed asparagus to go with it. I hereby vow to eat fish more often.

Chicken I've also made on the grill already this year. I like a cajun spice rub, or a mustard marinade beforehand.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Sausages

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePicketFences View Post
I tend to buy morningstar vegetarian 'Italian sausages' (frozen, 120 cals) to eat as hotdogs. I've just really taken to them. I microwave them for lunch once in awhile.

Last night my husband grilled some mahi-mahi that I had prepared with a little lime juice and spices -- it was so, so good. I had a 1/4 cup of brown rice and some steamed asparagus to go with it. I hereby vow to eat fish more often.

Chicken I've also made on the grill already this year. I like a cajun spice rub, or a mustard marinade beforehand.

I;ll have to try those! Im recently addicted to Morningstar Farms Regular Sausage Patties, they are unbelievebly like the real thing! Oh and I cant wait to grill some fresh corn, zuchini, squash, and mushrooms on the grill! Oh Yum!!! I want some now!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I LOVE THE GRILL. Mmmmm. Nothing like a good steak on the grill.

I'm also a huge fan of fish (blackened salmon especially), chicken, buffalo burgers (Trader Joe's has a four pack of premade buffalo burgers for less than $6), veggies, shrimp, you name it. I think almost everything tastes better grilled.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Thighs...I used to get buns here in NE that were whole wheat and only 80 calories for the entire bun, but I have not been able to find them for the last year. I LOVED them, they were so tasty. Oh well, now I just use 40 calorie bread.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I inaugurated the grill last weekend with portabella mushroom caps filled with artichoke bruschetta topping, sprinkled with mozzarella cheese. (180 cal per cap) On the side I served grilled peppers. YUM!!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey, I wanted to mention one other thing. I found a grill basket for veggies. It isn't anything fancy but I spray the wahooie out of it with cooking spray and layer in everything veggie wise I want. I like it because the sides are high enough that I can *stir* them as I grill them. FabuLOUS!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Portabello mushroom caps make great 'buns'.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #10  
Meow

omg. Chickpea burgers. How do you make them? Sounds yummy!
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #11  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

I love when my dad grills zuchinni, squash, and mushrooms on the grill...it's so delicious with lots of flavor
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
I;ll have to try those! Im recently addicted to Morningstar Farms Regular Sausage Patties, they are unbelievebly like the real thing!
Ooh, then you should look for the new morningstar maple sausage patties. I love them.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #13  
Coloradomom

S/C/G: 147/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I was raised in Iowa, so every year we have to have corn on the cob. You soak the whole thing in water for about an hour, and then shake off the water and grill for about 15-20 minutes, and the water steams the corn. There isn't any corn on the cob like Iowa's corn on the cob. We now live in Colorado, and the corn on the cob just doesn't compare.
We would always cut up white potatoes and put butter, onion and garlic powder on them, wrap in aluminum foil, and grill for about 30 minutes, maybe we will have to try this with sweet potatoes.
frustrated mom is offline   Reply With Quote