South Beach Diet - Creme Fraiche - Is it legal???

View Full Version : Creme Fraiche - Is it legal???

hmacneil6
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I had a great fish recipe that I used last night that required creme fraiche. It was fantastic, however, I'm now wondering if creme fraiche is legal??? I will definately make this recipe again if it's ok, but if it's not ok I will search for substitutes.
If anyone can clairify this for my I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks!

Ruthxxx
04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
I bet it was fantastic but it was not legal. :( Creme fraiche is made from whipping cream and buttermilk and is very high fat. You might be able to get away with using fat-free yogurt but it sure won't be the same. Sorry!

hmacneil6
04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Thank you Ms. Ruth...I knew someone would know quickly. I'll have to work on how to make it more legal next time! Maybe Greek yogurt.

KO
04-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Hmac 2% Greek yogurt is Sinlicious! Probably a similar texture too!

hmacneil6
04-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Good to know, I'll definitely give it a try and let you all know how it turns out!

beachgal
04-15-2009, 08:59 AM
I'd definitely try the Greek yogurt. And maybe try a mix of creme fraiche and the yogurt, if the 2% doesn't work out. Just be aware of the high amount of bad fats, and compensate with the rest of your day (for instance, if you usually have some 2% cheese during the day, don't eat any on the day when you make this dish) so you don't go over your usual amount of saturated fat.

We have a really yummy spaghetti squash gratin recipe that uses creme fraiche. I make it maybe once every 2-3 years, so I figure it's okay. ;)