Weight Loss Support - How often do you eat fish?

View Full Version : How often do you eat fish?

rainy
04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Just asking how often do you eat fish, if you eat it. If I let myself go I can eat it everyday, actually I have gone on for a whole week with just fish (more vegs, fruit and seeds) but somehow I feel like '****! You can't eat fish AGAIN!!'
Does it ever happen to you?:D

meowee
04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm a pretty big fish eater too . . . probably eat it for 1/3 of my lunches/dinners . . . mostly salmon, shrimp, scallops, and well-rinsed canned tuna. Another 1/3 of my protein comes from chicken, and the final 1/3 is pretty much egg whites and a couple of meals of legumes. About once a week, I might have a meal of beef or pork.

funniegrrl
04-11-2009, 06:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with eating fish every day! You're just a pescatarian! The only caution I'd add is that eating certain fish every day in our modern world isn't entirely healthy -- you'll want to limit eating fish with high mercury levels. There's a good outline of the info here: Good Fish, Bad Fish (http://nutrition.about.com/od/healthyfood1/a/goodfishbadfish.htm)

rainy
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
funniegrrl, that's very useful info. I know to avoid eating sharks (and their family, swordfish included) often because they basically eat whatever they find so even the meat isn't too good for you, though it tastes good. Didn't know about the mercury!

willow650
04-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Never! I hate any and all sea food with the exception of canned tuna every once in a blue moon but even then its mixed with lots of stuff

Jacqui_D
04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I love fish! I have to limit my intake because I could easily eat it every day, and I do worry about taking in too much mercury.

BarbPA
04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Never. I wish I liked it....but I don't. I try it here and there thinking one of these days I'll be able to eat it, but nope. :p

yoyoma
04-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I eat a piece of wild salmon almost every day. I don't eat much other seafood. Shrimp or tuna once in a long while.

Thighs Be Gone
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
We eat fish probably 4-5 days a week and usually more than one serving at a sitting. If it's fresh fish I typically eat an 8 ounce portion. I actually prefer it over most any other protein source. I am also becoming pickier about my fish as I educate myself more in the nutrition dept.

flatiron
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
OMG I can't believe anyone would hate fish or seafood in general! God I could eat it every day! Since I live in a coastal town I love shellfish.

Unfortunately I prefer them friend but I am getting used to eating them steamed and grilled.

So I guess for the people who don't like fish sushi (I eat it at least twice a week) with raw fish on it is out of the question! LOL! :D

rockinrobin
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh I LOVE fish.

It varies how often I eat it. This week I've had it 4 times. Other times it could be 2 or 3 times a week.

For those that don't like fish, I wonder if it's the same type thing as those that say that don't like vegetables. They haven't experimented with the right cooking methods, the "right" recipes and haven't checked out all the different varieties of fish. Because there's so many different kinds of fish out there and sooooo many ways to prepare it.

Hyacinth
04-11-2009, 10:52 PM
I didn't start liking fish until my mid-30s. The only fish I knew was breaded, fried panfish that my dad had caught when I was a kid, and I never cared for it that way. I tried fish again when I wanted to start eating healthier. This time I baked it with things like lemon, cajun seasoning, garlic, ginger, or herbs. It's delicious!

I've since expanded my seafood to include shrimp, salmon, tilapia, and canned salmon (but I squish up the bones, they're too weird otherwise). I've always eaten tuna. I probably eat seafood twice a week now.

Sweetcaroline
04-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I love fish... I eat a lot of haddock, usually it's on sale 'previously frozen' about 4 dollars a pound, I ask the guy to remove skin and cut a pound in thirds for me ... quick brush of EVOO and sprinkle of Panko crumbs, under the broiler... I eat a lot of scallops too...YUM... quick n' easy...

teawithsunshine
04-12-2009, 01:05 AM
I have a salmon patty for breakfast every morning (in add to veggies) :cool: .... I also had seasoned mahi mahi last night :)

angel2be
04-12-2009, 01:12 AM
I love fish! I consider my diet a mainly pescetarian diet when I eat the way I want to.

I try to have salmon once or twice a week and in revising my meal plans recently have gone with a barramundi fillet for most of my lunch meals. Its quick and easy and healthy so I see no issue in having it regularly.

I do try not to have too much tinned tuna because of mercury concerns but really - you'd have to eat a whole lot of tuna to get mercury poisoning.

I couldn't imagine a life without seafood . . . ;)

dutchgirl
04-12-2009, 04:55 AM
I do love my seafood and eat it as often as I can.
You can prepare fish in so many ways, it's just great.
Getting quite expensive, though.

Horo
04-12-2009, 05:49 AM
At most, I have fish about once a month. Shrimp are another story- I frequently like to eat shrimp- but I don't get as much fish as I'd like to. I need to learn healthy and delicious ways too cook it.

dutchgirl
04-12-2009, 06:01 AM
I need to learn healthy and delicious ways too cook it.

have a browse around the internet - there are loads of recipe sites for inspiration, and many of them will give the nutritional value of the recipe as well. Try Eatingwell.com for starters

littlejojo
04-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I eat fish at least 3 times a week for evening meals. Normally I eat fish for lunch everyday - don't know why but LOVE it : )

Tomato
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I eat fish quite often, although I cannot tell you exactly how many times a month - I often buy the frozen salmon fillets (I would prefer to buy fresh but the price of fresh salmon skyrocketed) and I typically make all the fillets (I think there is 5 of them in each package) and sometimes, if there is space, I add another one from another package. So then I would have a salmon fillets for 5 days in a row (it doesn't bother me, I am used to eating repetitively). I actually never had the feeling that I won't be able to look at another fish ever again, but it happened to me with chicken breast. That is why I also eat beef as well as pork, although not as frequently as chicken.

I love seafood and when I go to a Thai restaurant, I always order shrimp. Speaking of which, I have a recipe for curried shrimp in coconut sauce that I have to try tonight or this week.

s0nali
04-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, my boyfriend's Bengali and we live in Louisiana... so fish is a staple for us :) There's a fish I just recently discovered, called Buffalo fish(??) - we just cook it the Indian way with some spices in a pressure cooker, and mix it up with rice. It is sooo good. Another way that is very famous is to put a mustard paste all over the fish and cook it... but I don't like mustard too much. It's his favorite though, so am trying to acquire the taste :)

One way I love salmon is to wash a salmon steak and then in a baking dish, mix up olive oil, garlic, paprika, and Lawry's fish seasoning. Then poke holes in the fish with a fork and rub the mix all over both sides of the fish. Cover with rest of mixture and bake the fish and then EAT :)
I love shrimp as well, and crawfish as long as someone else gets the meat out of them. That just creeps me out. :\

Breannaj1215
04-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I love fish and it has the least amount of calories out of all meats

sws19
04-13-2009, 02:33 PM
i love fish but have really been trying to cut back because of course the ones i love the most like salmon and tuna are super mercury-laden. sigh.

beerab
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I love fish- if I had my way I'd eat Tilapia everyday but my husband hates fish- totally sucks, and it's so weird if I bring fish to work people complain it stinks- so normally when I go out to eat at a restaurant I always get grilled fish! lol. It's the only time I really get to eat :(

TJFitnessDiva
04-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I love seafood in general & would eat it every single day if I could :) I have lived on the lake (it's salt water) almost my entire life so I was raised on it. We do avoid eating the types of fish that are said to have high levels of mercury in them as much as we can.

squeak351
04-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I actually ate fish from the lake growing up alot. Now I rarely eat fish at all. I am also allergic to seafood so I steer clear of it. I am trying to work fish back into my diet but not sure it's going to work. I just don't like it unless it's fried.

AmberShimmer
04-14-2009, 08:59 AM
It's been a couple years since I've had fish or any other seafood. I don't like it, actually, no matter how I've cooked it. Seafood has this distinctive... taste that I'm not too fond of. I don't think I dislike anything more than shrimp, though. The distinctive *pop* you get when you bite into a shrimp really freaks me out.

Phyxius79
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Well I really like fishing..... does that count!?! I do eat what I catch but I am guessing by breading it and deep frying it it loses the 'healthy' aspect. I eat it once every two weeks or so. Friday night fish fry is huge in WI. Haddock, Walleye, Perch, Bluegill. But of course it has to be breaded and deep fried or I don't think I would eat it.