Goal! - One year later: size 14 to 4

View Full Version : One year later: size 14 to 4

nakedmango
04-10-2009, 09:58 PM
My high weight, almost three years ago now, was 162. That's put me at "obese" in the BMI chart. (I know, the BMI is just a guide, often inaccurate.... but really--obese?!? That was a wake-up call.) By February 2008, I had lost and then re-gained and I was back up to 152. I hadn't been biking to work since my bike got stolen, and with my annual mid-winter vitamin D deficiency keeping me in bed too late every morning, I wasn't motivated to exercise at all. I was in the high overweight category in the BMI charts. Since two siblings and my father developed adult-onset diabetes, losing weight was more about health than looks at this point.

That month, I went on vacation. I visited a friend of mine in another city for 10 days, and it was fabulous. She had been eating right and exercising and had lost probably 20 pounds--it was great inspiration. While I was visiting, we went to her regular aerobics class twice, and it was fun, but it made me really realize how out of shape I was. That, and the photos she took of me when I brought my camera to a post-aerobics visit with friends one evening made me realize how overweight I had become (pic attached).

So I came back home and decided to do something about it. There is a gym in my condo, so I started going most mornings. Looking back in my Fitday journal, I was on the treadmill most of the time. Then I bought a new bike in April, and that helped; and I went vegetarian, and that helped a little too . I had been tracking my calories, activities and weight in Fitday since March, and by June, I was 142 pounds. I bought a beeyootiful dress for a friend's wedding, and felt fabulous (pic attached--isn't that a gorgeous dress?).

In July, I lost 5 pounds. I was freaking out--in a good way! I kept losing, though more slowly, the rest of the summer. At the end of September, I joined the gym 2 minutes from work with my co-worker/friend and we started going to classes at lunch.

In October, I went to France with my mom for two weeks--I managed to eat well and lose a pound and a half while I was there. (Pic attached.) I had also read Skinny B*tch while there, and decided the time was right, and I was finally ready to go vegan--after my limited choices for vegetarian meals in France, I was cheesed out. (Don't get me worng, it was delicious! But I ate a lot of cheese.)

I kept biking to work, sorted out which classes I liked at the gym, and remained vegan. I decided to focus on my diet for a while, and not as much on weight loss. I wanted to make sure I was getting enough protein, healthy fats and B12, and make sure I was't feeling deprived.

With the winter weather keeping me off my bike, the gym was slowly becoming a second home to me. Two more co-workers joined the gym around the new year, and I started regularly going to evening classes with one of them (since I was busier with work and going to lunch classes only once or twice a week) in addition to doing cardio.

In early March, I started counting calories again. I had been losing slowly since my vacation in October, but by then I had figured out how to eat vegan, be healthy and not gain. I decided I should re-focus on losing and get to my goal weight. Since then, I have lost 5.5 pounds. I hit my revised goal of 120 last week.

So here I am, at goal! (Pic from today, in my workout gear, below.) I've learned a lot, and become a lot healthier in the process of losing weight. I love shopping now--most things I try on look good on me, and my weight loss lately is more about aesthetics than health. But I'm still all about the fitness--I got praise from a seriously buff trainer, I ran 10K for the first time last weekend, I can do two classes in a row without dying. I think I might revise my ultimate goal to 110, or focus on losing body fat and gaining muscle, but I know I can maintain when I start trying.

[Since this post ended up being "my story", I'll post my pictures here, and continue with the "what I've learned" post below.]

nakedmango
04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
What I've learned:

I need to enjoy my exercise. Not every time I exercise, not every single minute of my ride/run/class, but when I enjoy it I'll do it more. Since I'm a social being, I enjoy my classes. Since my gym is small, I enjoy the 'community' feeling that I get from knowing the instructors, the other members, the staff. I also need to enjoy the cardio I do the most, which is why biking to work has worked so well for me.

I need to cook. The only way to control most of my food choices is to cook for myself. I can still eat out a couple times a week, but cooking/preparing most of the food I eat is the best way to ensure that it's healthy and the right portion size.

I need to remember I'm short. I don't need to count calories to lose or to maintain, but I have to remember that I can't eat like many of my friends, especially guys. This means my calories are fewer and my portion sizes are smaller.

I need to plan ahead. When I go out to eat, I need to think about what to order ahead of time. Being vegan means my options are restricted, and if I want something healthy it's often more restricted. As well, when I have evening plans I have to plan my exercise too. Going out means I can't bike to work, or can't get to the gym after work, or both. I need to sort out ahead of time how I'll workout that day, or plan a few day in advance that it will be my 'rest' day and make really sure I don't overeat.

I need to enjoy my food. I get around 2000 calories a day. I can't afford to waste 200 calories on something I don't like. I certainly can't afford to order something at a restaurant and not enjoy it, because then I'll want to go eat something else as well. I only eat things I enjoy.

I need to be prepared. I always carry healthy snacks with me. Especially being vegan, if I get caught suddenly ravenous with no food around, I will make bad decisions. There are often very few vegan options, so that the only handy vegan food is french fries or chips. So I carry a nut bar and a dried fruit snack with me all the time, about 300 calories, that will fill me up, or at least tide me over for a couple hours.

I need to feel good about myself. For me, that means being in shape and--yes, I'll just admit it--looking good. A friend I hadn't seen since the summer commented that I seem more confident. I'm sure part of it accomplishing something I'm so proud of, but part of it is feeling that I look good. While we all deserve to take care of ourselves regardless of how we look, I am better at taking care of myself when I feel good.

I need goals. When I first started, my goal was just to get in shape. Slowly, I started seeing improvements in my endurance and my strength, and while my weight loss was slowing these fitness accomplishments were very motivating. While I maintain, I will need to continue with fitness goals to stay motivated.

I need to remember my Dad. My Dad has adult-onset diabetes, which resulted in cancer when he was eating so badly that his liver couldn't process it. Admittedly, my Dad is 72, and at that age no one's health is perfect. But my brother and sister were diagnosed with it as well in their 40s. My Dad used to be crazy-fit when he was in the military, and my brother was an athlete in high school and college: clearly they stopped trying, and paid the price with their health. Even if I somehow stop caring about fitting into my clothes, about rockin' a pencil skirt, about losing my fitness so that I can no longer keep up...if I gain weight the chances that I will get diabetes are very high. So I must stay in shape in order to live a long, healthy life.

I need to remember that today is not tomorrow. Whether I eat well today has nothing to do with whether or not I will eat well tomorrow. Whether I exercise today has nothing to do with whether I will exercise tomorrow. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, since if I make a mistake today, it has nothing to do with tomorrow--tomorrow I can make a better choice. However, it also means that if I eat well and exercise today, I have to be sure to make those good choices tomorrow too. This is important to remember for maintenance, and also for the perfectionist in me.

And that's what I've learned. I hope it helps you. :)

Thanks, 3FC! The posters here have been a voice of reason when I got frustrated, and a community when I felt alone. I couldn't have done it without you.

And don't worry, I'll be sticking around. I threatened to join the maintainers forum months ago, but I still mostly lurk there. I'm more often in the exercise forum--see you there!

Lori259
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
WOW!!!! AMAZING~LOOK AT YOU ~YOU LITTLE HOTTIE!
YOU GO GIRL!
(I agree that Obese at 160's is totally ridiculous on BMI.)

YOU was and still are
F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S

JulieJ08
04-10-2009, 10:59 PM
You look mah-velous, and your story is so inspirational! I really like that you've figured out what the important things are for *you.*

DCHound
04-10-2009, 11:38 PM
You look 15 years younger from losing all that weight. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cie
04-10-2009, 11:42 PM
:bravo:

You look great. I am a maintainer since Christmas and I loved your learning list. Good on you for recognizing the wake up call. :cool:

harrismm
04-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Yes you look absolutely beautiful and healthy.

hope4me
04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't have time to read your whole story tonight but I just want to say that you look 20yrs younger! Congratulations and I can't wait to come back to read the rest. Way to go! :)

EZMONEY
04-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Smokin'!!

I am impressed at your effort as you evolved through your journey kiddo...keep it going!

midwife
04-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Congrats! :carrot:

NicoleDiana
04-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you for sharing your tips and those awesome photos. What an inspiration!

Thighs Be Gone
04-11-2009, 11:35 AM
You look so fit and fabulous! Congratulations on your success. Keep rockin' it! :)

novi den
04-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Awesome job! You look great.

Congrats!

rockinrobin
04-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Very powerful and inspiring.

Congratulations on all of your hard work. It has surely paid off. You sound and look incredible. See you over at the Maintainer's Forum, where I look forward to "spending" more time with you. :)

bikinidreamin
04-11-2009, 04:12 PM
You look FAB! You're a definite inspiration.

CountingDown
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
:congrat: You look great! Welcome to the world of maintenance :)

choirgirlhotel
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow, I loved reading your story - and I loved reading your tips. You have a nice, concise, easy-to-read style of writing. You look fabulous and I'm so happy for you! In fact, I just might print out my own "what I've learned" list to read every day to keep me on track.

~choirgirl~

Tryingtostayskinny
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Congrats to you! :)

LittleMoonRabbit
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
So awesome! So amazing! CONGRATS!!!

joleystar
04-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Oh my gosh! You look fantastic! Such an inspiration!

megwini
04-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Oh wow! Yeah, 160 pounds doesn't seem like it should be "obese" huh? You look a lot better! What a difference! But the most important thing is being healthy, right? Congratulations!

nakedmango
04-12-2009, 07:12 PM
YOU GO GIRL!

Thanks! :o I love my workout gear--ever since my shoulders/arms started getting muscle-y and my waist started shrinking, I love getting changed for the gym. :strong: Thanks to everyone for the compliments! I'm still experiencing that new-body, still-feel-fat thing. Sometimes I try on clothes and I think, "OMG! I'm so thin!" And sometimes I see myself and think, "My thighs are huge! My belly hasn't shrunk at all!" ...I started taking my measurements in June, so I know everything has shrunk, I just sometimes don't see the forest for the trees, you know?

Unfortunately, while the word "obese" makes me cringe, it was probably closer to reality than I wanted to admit. When I think about it logically, I was 33% heavier than I am now--that's a big difference, so "obese" is probably more right than wrong for where I was then.

See you over at the Maintainer's Forum, where I look forward to "spending" more time with you. :)

I've been lurking in the Maintainers' chat thread since I posted here yesterday. See you there!

Wow, I loved reading your story - and I loved reading your tips. You have a nice, concise, easy-to-read style of writing.

Thanks! But I spent about a couple hours writing that post, on and off, and an hour editing it. The first draft was about twice as long. :dizzy: Glad you liked the final version!

SBD Sass
04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Awesome! You look great!!! Keep it off!

angel2be
04-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Awesome! I love your tips - thanks so much for sharing and congratulations. Fancy losing weight while in France! :hug:

walking2lose
04-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Very, very inspiring story! You look fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!

Onmyway
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for posting pictures and sharing your story and tips. You look terrific!

Reddalice
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
These stories keep me going when I'm having a rough day. You look amazing in that dress! Congrats!:hug:

Shannon in ATL
04-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I saw you referenced this post in maintainers chat, but just found it today. You look great! I loved reading the things you've learned! :)

UrthWurm
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
You look wonderful!
Congratulations on your loss. You've come so very far!! :carrot:

littlejojo
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow what a story! You are an inspiration. Congratulations : )

looloo86
04-20-2009, 12:29 AM
wow you are an inspiration to me thanx for posting your amazing story cuz it really gave me the push i needed today.Now i realise it takes a lifetime to be healthy .Hope you have a wonderful one.Good luck

Getting Right
04-20-2009, 12:39 AM
You look great!

miriam101
04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
At the risk of sounding repetitive....

You look fantastic! It is so inspiring to read your story, and one can clearly read the determination in your post. I appreciate the "things I have learned" as you define how everyone's journey is so individual, and everyone has to find what's right for THEM.

Keep it up, and keep it off!! LOL

Haney98
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
YOU GO GIRL! You look great! Congradulations on all your success both with weight loss and learning!

~Haney

bobblefrog
04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
I always think everyone is just as beautiful in their before photos, but you do look much younger and I bet you do rock a pencil skirt now! I wonder if you can attribute that to what you are eating (or not) being vegan, as well as losing the weight? I have discovered the last months since I went organic and started really focusing on eating nutritious foods (mostly vegetable although I confess to a bratwurst now and again!) that my skin seems to have taken on a little glow. Could be my imagination - but looking at your photos, not so sure... Thanks for posting so that we can all be inspired!

luvja
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
:congrat: You look fabulous!!!!

stillclock
04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
thanks for sharing your story!

so very star you are!

isolde

xchampagnedream
04-23-2009, 12:19 PM
congratsssssssssssss

ceal2000
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi, what an inspirational story, thank you so much for sharing it with us, you rock!!! ;)

GirlyGirl
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
So inspirational! Thank you for sharing!

:congrat:

candtlove
05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
good job!

kellygram
05-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Woo-Hoo!!! You look wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your story! Congratulations!!!!

megwini
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
You definitely rock! Good luck in this future! =D

Findmyself
05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
That is fantastic!! Great job!

carcar05
05-18-2009, 11:14 PM
what an absolute inspiration! i am so done being a size 14- thanks for sharing IT CAN BE DONE! :)

Meeky2004
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Amazing! I can't wait to get to my goal as well!

Dominique19
05-23-2009, 08:22 PM
you look great

kim83
05-23-2009, 08:59 PM
you look great, way to go!

Beckster
05-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Well done! I agree that exercise is the key

nakedmango
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for everyone's continued support!

I always think everyone is just as beautiful in their before photos, but you do look much younger and I bet you do rock a pencil skirt now! I wonder if you can attribute that to what you are eating (or not) being vegan, as well as losing the weight? I have discovered the last months since I went organic and started really focusing on eating nutritious foods (mostly vegetable although I confess to a bratwurst now and again!) that my skin seems to have taken on a little glow. Could be my imagination - but looking at your photos, not so sure... Thanks for posting so that we can all be inspired!

I know my body is responding positively to my diet change. I'm sure part of it would happen simply from eating less processed food, less fried food, and eating more nutritious food, but I've noticed additional changes since going vegan as well. (I'd share, but they're definitely on the TMI side of sharing. ;) ) However, I'm a firm believer that any change we make has an effect on the body, though sometimes we don't notice them right away. :D

ronni62
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
:congrat: You look wonderful! And, excellent advice in your things you've learned post! Congrats!

lointhecity
05-30-2009, 03:12 AM
you look gorgeous!! such an inspiration.

Dria
05-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Congrats!
Im the same height as you. I am 132.4lbs.... I am tech still obese..... isnt that sickening
And we at this height would have to be 98lbs to be underweight...... I was 104 before I had kids and even then at almost 5'2" (ive shrunk) lol People said I looked sick I was too skinny. I hate the BMI index. Im a size 4 right now and tell me how the heck I can be obese in a size 4?!?!?!?
Sorry to hijack your post SORRY. Just saying lol

moonshine456
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I loved reading what you've learned during your experience. Congratulations!! You look wonderful :)

L R K
06-02-2009, 05:31 PM
You look great! Congratulations! I hope I can follow in your footsteps and reach my goal too!

healthytoad
06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
congratulations!

Soon2BFitChick
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Congrats! Everything you said made so much sense. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Selina :hug:

cosmogirl
06-03-2009, 06:40 AM
congratulations you look amazing!

LiannaKole
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
That's so great! Congratulations!

It's inspiring to read, because sometimes I think I won't ever reach my goal. I'm so glad for you!

Raspberry 1984
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
u look great

kittycarlson
12-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Thank-you for sharing. Your an inspiration.

VickieLou
12-12-2010, 04:19 PM
:congrat: You look Awesome!

girlieyorkie
12-22-2010, 08:17 PM
WTG! Congrats!

tytbody
12-22-2010, 08:26 PM
sweet. :jig:

BellaLucia
12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
You look smashing!

tea42
12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
What an inspiring post! I've been flirting with veganism for quite a while.

I notice your last post was over a year ago. I hope all is well with you and you are still enjoying your vegan lifestyle.

Sea
12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Grat job! May you also reach your fat% goal on schedule!

Hawaii Bound
01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I need to remember that today is not tomorrow. Whether I eat well today has nothing to do with whether or not I will eat well tomorrow. Whether I exercise today has nothing to do with whether I will exercise tomorrow. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, since if I make a mistake today, it has nothing to do with tomorrow--tomorrow I can make a better choice. However, it also means that if I eat well and exercise today, I have to be sure to make those good choices tomorrow too. This is important to remember for maintenance, and also for the perfectionist in me.

And that's what I've learned. I hope it helps you.

It does and thank you!

ShiningStar05
01-10-2011, 12:17 AM
You look amazing!! Congrats on reaching your goal.

Esha
01-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for sharing your story and what you've learned. Yes, it is such a pretty dress! Congrats on your weightloss =) Do join the maintainers forum, because you look soo great already!

iris22
04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Rachael! Congratulations, your story is amazing! I find it very inspiring esp as I have a similiar amount of weight to lose to you and am just an inch shorter than you.

I was wondering how much you weighed when you started wearing size 14, size 12, and size 10 clothes? It's so I can set mini goals to inspire me.

Once again, well done, you look terrific!

memorymaze
05-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Way to go, you look awesome!

The first thing I noticed was your COWS t-shirt. I'm PEI born n' raised, haha.

RachaelJ
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Being that this is right where I used to be and where I want to be, you're an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

fitwayoflife
05-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Congrats, you look great, and yes, that dress you wore to the wedding is pretty. Are you a writer, because this was very inspiring and well written. :)

bargoo
05-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Congratulations !

YoYoKimmy
05-12-2011, 04:04 PM
What a wonderful story! That is my goal from 14 to 4! Thank you for sharing!

YoYoKimmy
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
YOU GO GIRL!

YOU was and still are
F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S

For me the 160s are obese. I'm a shorty! :)

MoniqueDiet
05-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. It's very inspiring!

tomtom22
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
whew ! lookin' good, lady ! keep it up !

cmwelp
09-25-2011, 05:11 PM
i love LOVE the list of things you've learned!!! it's so hard when focusing on losing weight to remember that it's not always about deprivation and you don't have to be 100% weight loss ALL THE TIME. It's so nice to hear that you worked hard to really enjoy the exercise you did, and the food choices you made. That's what it's all about :-) Great job!!:)

rainydays
09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
You look amazing, and your list is so inspirational! Thank you!

revathi
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
congrats!!!

goTJ
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
This is really similar to my goal. Inspirational!

PamelaViktoria
09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I have been 95% raw vegan for 6 months. I feel so much better physically. Great tips about exercise too!:D

Lisa532
10-14-2011, 09:01 PM
This was a breathtaking story - Thank you for sharing it with us.!

dazzlemee
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Amazing!

soccrmom12
11-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Congratulations!

KatieLuna
11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Congratulations :)

yoyoma
11-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Great job! Thanks for sharing! Congratulations!!! :carrot:

RRB2
11-24-2011, 04:00 AM
You look amazing! Everyone's stories really help me with motivation and inspiration!

Love handles well
12-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Incredible :)

jttw18
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Amazing that you dropped so many sizes! 14 to a 4? That's a great achievement and I'm happy that you've managed to reach something so grand.

Congrats on the weight loss and remain healthy and fit!

RaisingThemLeft
12-21-2011, 06:30 PM
You look awesome! Congrats!

AlexandraJoy
01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh my gosh you look amazing. AMAZING. I'm short and I understand how fast weight stacks on!

kristenmarieg
01-03-2012, 11:02 PM
you look great!

Diamondonalandmine
01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
GREAT JOB!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Seashell84
01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow! You look awesome!

Staceyh2012
01-26-2012, 02:02 PM
You look lush xxxx

Elizabetti
03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Congratulations! Seeing a picture my mom took of me on a recent visit definitely kick-started my weight loss effort this time, so I hope to be writing a post like this in the not too distant future. Thanks for the inspiration!

kimmy125
04-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Congrats! You look great :)

FattyFatFat
05-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Congratulations!!! A 4 is a bit small in my opinion (at least for my body), but looks GREAT for you! Nonetheless, that is one HECK of an achievement and you definitely have earned bragging rights in regards!

FlabToFit
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
thank you for the tips and for sharing your journey :-D

2Dy2MrwAlwys
10-18-2012, 01:50 AM
You look A-MAZING! Congratulations on taking control of your body and your life!

I love your list of what you've learned. I find that much of it applies to me. Very helpful and true. :)

chickpeas
10-18-2012, 05:51 AM
well done & congrats! I loved your list of what you have learned, lots of good advice there, thnx!

SarahJane88
10-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Congrats!!!!

olehcat
11-20-2012, 10:46 PM
wow, really amazing! I love hearing about other shorties' successes - very inspiring, especially since you made it to around my goal!

Mozzy
12-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Congrats!!!