Weight and Resistance Training - Gym pet peeves!

View Full Version : Gym pet peeves!

GypsyLove
04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I didn't see a thread like this but if there is one then maybe somone can direct me to it. For those of you who belong to a gym what types of things REALLY annoy you that other people do? Vent away!

Here are a few of mine.
Today I go to do my upper body workout and I'm doing bicep curls with 15 lb. dumbells and some girl comes up to me with her 5 lb. dumbells and tries to convince me that I will get bulky if I lift with heavy weights! :mad: First off it's a myth, second of all don't interrupt me to voice your opinion about my workout worry about your own, and thirdly even if it were true not everyone shys away from their muscles! I just said "right", rolled my eyes, grabbed the 20 lb dumbells and cranked up my music.

Another annoyance is when I get to a machine and someone across from me gets annoyed that I got there first. So she decides to just stand in front of me and stare at me giving me dirty looks until I'm done. I would have gladly shared the machine with her but she was being rude.

Anyone else want to vent?

midwife
04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Today I go to do my upper body workout and I'm doing bicep curls with 15 lb. dumbells and some girl comes up to me with her 5 lb. dumbells and tries to convince me that I will get bulky if I lift with heavy weights! :mad: First off it's a myth, second of all don't interrupt me to voice your opinion about my workout worry about your own, and thirdly even if it were true not everyone shys away from their muscles! I just said "right", rolled my eyes, grabbed the 20 lb dumbells and cranked up my music.

Well, I'm spoiled rotten with my gym, but GOOD for you on the 20s! :carrot:

mandalinn82
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
When I belonged to a gym, my biggest pet peeve was the folks who gathered up ALLLLLL the equipment they'd need for an entire hour workout, sequestered it on a mat, and glared at you if you asked if you could borrow it.

OK, this was really just one person in particular. But I kid you not, she at one time was preventing anyone else from using 2 Bosu trainers (of 3 in the gym), 1 pair each of 5, 8, and 10 lb dumbbells, a stability ball, 2 medicine balls in different weights, a weighted bar, and the only adjusting bench in the women's fitness room. And I asked once if I could work in on the bench, and she said no, even though she was off doing crunches on the stability ball at the time.

JulieJ08
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I wonder if the tiny weights thing is having a resurgence. I first started weight training about 1991 (dang, imagine if I had kept it up all this time!), and always lifted as heavy as I could, and never heard I should lift lighter or worry about bulking up.

Lydia227
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Hmmm. Number one pet peeve :chin: Oh. I know: cologne, aftershave, perfume, or any scent at all. I can rerack weights, I can readjust a bench or wait my turn but when someone is lifting next to me or doing cardio and it smells like a crowded elevator on a Monday morning, it can ruin my workout.

Attitude would have to run a close second. Okay, maybe that would be first and the scent thing second. Egos need to be left at the door. No one is all that, and if they are it's only for the moment because there is always going to be someone stronger, faster, fitter, skilled, or whatever who may walk through the door next. :devil:

GypsyLove: It sounds like you really had a bad experience today. :hug: I hope that this isn't the usual culture at your gym. Just do your thing and do it well. At the end of the day, it's the result that you want that matter. :^: Just don't find a bench next to me and be wearing scented lotion or anything. :rofl:

WormwoodDoll
04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I live in a really active area, so there is very very few overweight people at my gym. I am probably one of...maybe five (not including DF though). So I get lots of cocky stares while I am doing equipment. I go during hours it's not so crowded to avoid that as much as possible. It discourages me and makes me not want to be at the gym. I wish they knew I've lost 50lbs and I am redoing my life style.

GypsyLove
04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Lydia227, there are only a few people floating around like that in my gym, for the most part people are friendly here. I wanted to tell her soooo many different things but I bit my tongue and just decided it wasn't worth it and went on with my workout. The gym is my happy place so I try my best to keep it that way. :)

OMG! The perfume thing bothers me so much! It makes it hard for me to breath and makes me want to gag. It can stop my workout dead in it's tracks! I have to go find another section of the gym to workout in when that happens.

Ilene
04-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Perfume at the gym or anywhere for that matter, bothers me...

Gym management of course want us to wipe our cardio machine after we've worked out, they give you a spray bottle and a hand towel but rarely change the towel, so it's wet, full of germs, so all I'm doing is spreading the germs, gross!!! When it's wet like that I refuse to touch it and don't clean my machine...

I also hate when someone spits their gum in the fountain bowl, it's gotta be the teenagers there at night, another discusting thing...

WaterRat
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh, it's gotta people who don't wipe things down. Now if you you're doing a 5-10 min warm up and don't drip sweat all over, I'm not too bad, but we religiously have one guy who sweats through all his gym clothes, and then, not only does he not wipe off his treadmill, he goes and uses a stability ball and doesn't wipe that - ewwww! The perfume one gets me too - usually the gals on the treadmill about 2 mph, reading a magazine. And - though they never break a sweat - they never fail to wipe down the machine. :rofl:

Tomato
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I am afraid to say that I don't have any complaints about other fellow members at my gym (for fear that I will jinx myself). But hoarding equipment would annoy me and don't get me started on cologne/aftershave/perfume. I happen to have a acute sense of smell and even the tiniest dab of cologne is detected by my nose and I perceive it as if the person would be in a CLOUD of fragrance - although I am the only one who can smell it and others can't.
(I must have been a dog in my previous life).

There is only one guy at my gym that I noticed he often sits on machines (resting) for like .... 5 minutes. But I don't see him there often and so far it really has not been a problem for me but I just noticed that it was his habit.

Oh, the chick who would want to convince that I should lift heavier than 5 lb would seriously crack me up.

junebug41
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I get kind of cranky when I venture into the "big boy's weight room" and am downright hovered over when I use a bench and am asked repeatedly, "are you using that? Are you done yet? Are you using that?"

I use the bench for all of 5 minutes. Let me be. KWIM?

losermom
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
My beef is the boys (I workout at the university that I work at)that load up the squat machine with 100 lbs weights and don't remove them. I'm going to break a toe one of these days. Sometimes I ask one of the boys to remove them for me...

Thighs Be Gone
04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't like it when women dry their pubic area with the dryers--I am sorry but it grosses me out when I am just trying to get my makeup on!

dixied
04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't like it when women dry their pubic area with the dryers--I am sorry but it grosses me out when I am just trying to get my makeup on!

Another reason that I drive home to shower. Sheesh, they really do that?

sportmom
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM
:faint:

Never thought of that use for hair dryers. That is downright, disgusting. I would walk out never to return. I thought people walking on the floors and showering in bare feet gave me the heebie-jeebies.

WaterRat
04-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Well, it's not the gym, and I don't mean to offend the swim-team Mom :) , but lap swim at our local HS pool follows swim team practice, and by the time I walk in the locker room, the floor is 1" deep in water. Really, I have to roll up my work pants and take off my socks/stockings before I enter. Those young girls toss wet suits all over the floor and the benches - there's hardly a dry place to set anything down. And not to pick on the MS/HS kids - I used to swim at the University pool when I worked in Anchorage, and the college girls were just as bad - and they had a wringer to run their suits through. Grrr

And I've never seen the hair dryers used that way - pool or gym - but, yes, ewwwww. I prefer to shower at home anyway - I like my own towels and I can just put on my sweats or jammies and chill. :)

LandonsBaby
04-14-2009, 09:23 PM
People at my gym are really nice. It's attached to a hospital so there are a lot of older people but also a lot of young people (no teenagers, I think you have to be 18 to join). I don't find that people do anything annoying. They even put their weights back most of the time. There are some people who exercise in dress shoes and jeans which I think is silly but it's no bother to me obviously.

sportmom
04-14-2009, 10:17 PM
No offense taken, Pat :) and I totally agree. The team she's on now at the college is better than at the Y bc it's only swimteam and not the mom's trying to get their kids dressed after lessons (screaming, cranky, tired kids) but yes, the tweeny girls are horrible. I used to go in to speed my dd along, but I can't stand it now and told her she's on her own and I won't help her with her stuff anymore. It just gets really loud too. But you know, you never appreciate stuff at home or otherwise until you are old enough to have to have paid for it yourself. At least I do hang nearby and spent enough time with dd that she knows what's cool and what's bad behavior in there, but most parents hang out in the carloop and don't bother with managing their kids behavior. Which is a whole - other- thread!!! lol

Ilene
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't like it when women dry their pubic area with the dryers--I am sorry but it grosses me out when I am just trying to get my makeup on!:rofl: that is hilarious, what nerve, I also go home to shower...

One Fluffy Chick
04-15-2009, 01:31 AM
My gym pet peeves:

1. People having louder than loud conversations, especially on their cell phones. How can they even work out effectively if they have to be able to talk?!

2. Sweat-drenched equipment. Are they really unaware that the machine is dripping from their visit?

3. People who just sit on the equipment, having louder than loud conversations, or diddling with their iPods, or reading a magazine. Seriously, move already! This ain't the library!

And now I'm going to avoid the dryers because of the alternate usage I knew nothing about until now. :eek: :barf: :eek: :barf:

BlueToBlue
04-15-2009, 04:53 AM
I had no idea about the alternate drier usage either. :eek: Wow--you learn something new everyday!

A few pet peeves:

1. The masters swim team women (yes, adults!) that cannot be bothered to put their stuff in a locker and instead use every available surface of the four tiny benches in the locker room to hold their gigantic bags (seriously, I could pack for a week-long trip with the size of these bags--they're only swimming for an hour or two, how can they possibly need that much stuff).

2. People who make comments about the exercises my trainer has me do, while I'm doing them, especially if it's pretty clear they couldn't do them themselves.

3. People who just sit on a piece of equipment without using it. Either use it or get off it so the rest of us can use it. I'm not your mom; I shouldn't have to remind you to share.

4. People who leave their garbage behind.

dixied
04-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Until this morning I had no complaints about my new gym, or fellow gym-goers. Now...

1. Get off the cell phone or off the treadmill. Who are you calling at 4:45AM? No one I know would answer that call.
2. Why did you bathe in perfume?
3. If you must talk on you cell, and wear perfume, could you find a treadmill that's not 6 inches from mine? Especially when the other 30 treadmills are not in use.
4. Do not stand 2 inches away from my bench when I'm lifting, move back some. There's plenty of room in the free weight area, lots of mirrors and only 3 of us working out.

I think if I ever do shower at the gym, it will be BYOD. Bring your own dryer. ;)

MindiV
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm inadvertently a culprit on the perfume/spray thing. In my case it's body spray that I put on ONLY in the morning. I work out on my way home from work in the afternoon, and when I sweat the smell of the spray comes out. It's not fresh, and I never use a ton (at least I don't think I do!)...it just seems to start being noticeable more when I sweat...

Same thing happens the day after I wash my hair with a certain shampoo. If it happens to rain or whatever, I smell the shampoo even though it's been HOURS since I washed my hair the night before...

Megan1982
04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
My #1 relatively new gym pet peeve: My gym was bought last year and moved locations to an old pharmacy building the new owner already owned. The new gym is one big building, so they put in a section of hard wood floors and office-type divider walls (only ~8 feet high, ceilings are ~20 feet high) to section it off to have a yoga/stretching/etc area away from all the weights and machines. They got a new woman to offer cardio-kickboxing in that area. She got these "great" new mics that plug into the music system. So now if you're in the entire rest of the gym you not only hear the music the kickboxing class is playing clashing with the music playing in the rest of the gym, but the instructor's voice is piped in really loud on top of all that. It annoys me so much I leave the gym, no matter what I had planned for my workout! My iPod can't even drown it out!

I agree with all the cell phone comments, sitting on the benches doing nothing comments... I'm one of the only women who uses the free weights section. I'm either ignored (which is when I have to ask, "Are you using that? [piece of equipment that you've been lounging on for 15 minutes]"), or I'm hit on. There isn't much in between. Geez.

Shannon in ATL
04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
All of these things listed are why I have stocked my garage up with exercise equipment... :)

I am probably going to have to join a gym sometime in the next year since I don't think I have the room for the freeweights I want to start working with. I used to be a member at Bally's and don't have a lot of fond memories... Guess I should start shopping around now. First thing I'm going to do when I scout each location is check out the women with the hairdryers. :)

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I am actually in discussions with my gym right now to cancel my membership because it is not clean (dust bunnies everywhere), not enough cleaning stations - not that the members use them anyway - people talking loudly and rudely on their phones and the grunters. They are arguing it all with me and I am pushing it as far as possible.

I have already gone to another gym where if this occurs it is fixed immediately. I'm paying for two memberships which is silly but I could not stand going to the other gym. So we will see what happens.

Oh and people that sing a loud to their music...and I mean loud!

Oh and the people that go to the gym to pick up people (aka wear total nighttime make-up and hairdos) - it's often these women and/or men in some cases that really take up unecessary time on equipment and leer at you. GROSS!

bandit2
04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
People who don't obey posted signs. I go to a centre with lots of various fitness things & the ladies locker room clearly has signs that say "children under 12 are to be in the family faciliies" & almost everytime I go there are lots of little kids screaming etc & their mom "over talking in baby talk" to them. Drives me crazy - really, you cannot miss the sign & they just ignore them. Very rude!

Brown Eyed Staccie
04-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Im still grossed out by the hair dryer thing....YUCK

Su-Bee
04-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I have spent a LOT of time in gym change rooms and have NEVER witnessed that behaviour with the hair dryers! Plus I think it's just weird - towel drying doesn't do enough for their pubic hair??

Lydia227
04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I used to be a member at Bally's and don't have a lot of fond memories... Guess I should start shopping around now.

Oh my YES! It took me a year to find a gym. It's funny, in the beginning of my fitness quest, I would have been awestruck by the flashy big box gym. My requirements were easily met by a health club. Four or is it five now, years later my needs were different. I looked at the crowd, what they were doing, how hard did they work, would I be able to be comfortable here...I needed a place where I wouldn't stick out if I wanted to experiment with the creativeness of functional training and/or sit on a bench bench press heavy. It took a year but I found it. Many of the other members absolutely amaze me! I'm learning from them as well from the staff. They're awesome.

My suggestion would be, if you want one, is to look at all of the fitness options in your area. Think about what you are currently doing in your routine and could that translate in the new environment. Also, this is very important, think about an area in which you would like to learn/grow. Check out small independent gyms that focus upon that style/technique of training an see if you could "marry" your current style while integrating some of the new things they have to offer. In most cases this will mean hiring a personal trainer in addition to the gym membership fee. However, it such an added value to your workouts. It more than breaks up the monotony of doing the same thing over and over. I would say that I have been inspired to keep learning and reaching instead of just stagnating. And trust me, stagnating is one of the worst things that can happen to an exercise plan.

Wow, sorry I got so far off topic folks. Anyway, yes. Shop for your future gym. It's an investment in yourself that deserves research :soap:

Okay. You can all return to your previously scheduled Gym Pet Peeves. :lol:

glitterducky
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
The woman who walks for 10 minutes at 2mp on the treadmill, and then wipes it off as if it were going out of style. The same woman who uses the weights machines, does the exercises wrong (which is pretty hard to do, but she manages), does 5-6 reps and then frantically wipes and sprays. The same woman again, who 90% of her work out is weights because "you really don't need cardio. Weights burn more calories, so cardio is pointless".

-The guy who lifts everything he can and lets everyone know about by shouting in pain and counting. "1....AHHHHHHHHHHH.....2.....AHHHHHHHH"

-The guy who hoards everything he needs for the hour. Umm Can I use that? Since it's just sitting on the floor? Oh yeah, you can't hear me because your music is too loud

-The guy who runs and sweats all over his work clothes. Why not bring something to change into?

-The snobs that are already fit and need to make you feel inferrior because you are not. But it doesn't get me down.

glitterducky
04-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I have spent a LOT of time in gym change rooms and have NEVER witnessed that behaviour with the hair dryers! Plus I think it's just weird - towel drying doesn't do enough for their pubic hair??

LMAO. Especially about the comment of "towel drying doesn't do enough for you?"

Rowenna
04-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh, it's gotta people who don't wipe things down. Now if you you're doing a 5-10 min warm up and don't drip sweat all over, I'm not too bad, but we religiously have one guy who sweats through all his gym clothes, and then, not only does he not wipe off his treadmill, he goes and uses a stability ball and doesn't wipe that - ewwww! The perfume one gets me too - usually the gals on the treadmill about 2 mph, reading a magazine. And - though they never break a sweat - they never fail to wipe down the machine. :rofl:

I agree about the perfume, but don't be so quick to knock people who read magazines and don't go super fast! I do hard workouts sometimes, but when I have a magazine or a book to read, I often go to the gym to read instead of just laying around at home - even a light walk while reading burns more calories than nothing!

Depalma
04-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Tony Gentilcore's blog post on a similar topic

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/step_up/index.php/2008/07/09/dont-be-that-guy-or-girl/

Thighs Be Gone
04-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Okay, I will admit to only having seen the dryer thing ONE time. Just to be clear, it was the wall attached dryer that was being used for the purpose--the hand dryer thingy. It was so vividly disgusting, it isn't a site I will likely ever forget. I no longer have a gym membership for so many of the reasons listed here.

JulieJ08
04-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Okay, I will admit to only having seen the dryer thing ONE time. Just to be clear, it was the wall attached dryer that was being used for the purpose--the hand dryer thingy. It was so vividly disgusting, it isn't a site I will likely ever forget. I no longer have a gym membership for so many of the reasons listed here.

Lord, once was enough for that.

One Fluffy Chick
04-18-2009, 12:49 AM
4. When swimmers don't recognize that they're wet - - yes, I really think they don't realize they're wet - - and they spread their soaked towel, sopping wet swimsuit and wet selves on the benches in the locker, making it impossible for me to sit down or place my belongings on a dry surface. :mad:

unwanted37lbs
04-18-2009, 02:27 AM
i already posted this in EXERCISE place here ... but here is my only pet peeve :

when you have been runnin hard and loooong on a treadmill and you are all sweatty, the old woman comes and turns the fan off because she wants to get on a near-to-you machiene and do 1.5 miles per hour walk. .... and you realize its probably 100F in the gym and you cant run anymore... or do anything anymore... and you cant even say anyhthing because you are out of breath... and when you are ready to say something she is just ignoring you.

Robot
04-18-2009, 06:03 AM
I go to a centre with lots of various fitness things & the ladies locker room clearly has signs that say "children under 12 are to be in the family faciliies" & almost everytime I go there are lots of little kids screaming etc & their mom "over talking in baby talk" to them. Drives me crazy - really, you cannot miss the sign & they just ignore them. Very rude!

I had the same exact problem when I used to go to the gym. There was a clear sign on the locker room door that said something along the lines of using the family locker room if you have children under 12, especially boys. Of course people didn't listen, and I'd see boys in there. They enjoyed staring; it was very creepy. I usually had to go in the 18 and older area, but that usually didn't help because the elderly women loved having conversations in the nude. Well, I give them kudos for being that comfortable at least.

Dianeofnka
04-19-2009, 02:26 PM
All I have to say is: Wow, are you guys making me appreciate my gym a LOT. I'm just stunned at some of this behavior. People can just be pigs, I guess.

Re: the really light handweight thing: yeah, it's in vogue again. <rolls eyes> Do a Google search on "Tracy Anderson" -- she's a trainer who's tight with Gwyneth Paltrow, has been on Oprah's show, etc. and she spreads the gospel that women should never ever lift anything heavier than a 3-lb. weight. Which fits in very nicely with our lifestyle of 3-lb. babies and 3-lb. bags of groceries, I guess.

Reddalice
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't know if I'd mind if someone was blow drying their public hair on a stationary dryer. LoL. I would be embarrassed for their lack of awareness or care, but I would probably laugh hysterically and wonder off.

This is what drives me crazy:

People who turn fans in your area without checking with others first. I hate fans and it is a huge killer for me.

The dude who works on the elliptical and yaps on his cell phone for the entire time about a TV show him and the other person on the phone are watching at the same time. -_-...Which is "I love money."

People who don't clean their equipment after use.

People who stare. I hope my *ss bounces them into a concussion.

Reddalice
04-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Did I mention people who sing out loud with their IPODS while listening to the song you hate the most?

GypsyLove
04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I have a new one! The steam room says you must be 16 years old or older to use it. Some woman brought her 4 or 5 year old in there and of course she did what all kids do at that age...climb all over the place! The room is small and the floors and steps where you sit are slippery from the water and the mother didn't even bother to tell her kid to sit down at least. I hate ratting people out but the steam room is not a safe place for a young kid to be running around so I let management know and walked out.

Razorcandy
04-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I used the steam room for my first (and last time). There was a woman who came in wearing her panties and bra. She began using some sponge thing to exfoliate. Then she proceeded to strip naked. Walked over in front of me and held the door open (letting steam out and cold air in) yelling to another lady. Then she turned to ask me something about the temp while "exfoliating" her breasts. I said "excuse me" and bolted out of there. Ugh.

Later I saw her wearing regular clothing in the pool.

nbrown7384
04-23-2009, 01:00 AM
yuck, nakedness is an overall pet peeve in locker rooms.

I HAD to laugh at all the swimmer comments, takes me back to my youth in the Y locker room..... having soap fights in the showers! :o

I hate the meatheads that look at you like you are crazy for entering their scared free weight room. I wish my gym had a women's free weight section.

SweetScrumptious
04-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Probably already mentioned since I haven't read through the posts yet...

-people talking on their cell phones for 30mins while walking 1.0 speed on the treadmill. After they are done, without breaking a drop of sweat, leave.
-not putting weights away after they are done with the machine

Edit: I agree about the perfume thing!

Here's one from my boyfriend:
-they have a hot tub in the men's changeroom. And a few times, he has seen other men put there *uh-hmm* against the jets... while he's sitting in the tub next to them no less!

Ilene
04-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Here's one from my boyfriend:
-they have a hot tub in the men's changeroom. And a few times, he has seen other men put there *uh-hmm* against the jets... while he's sitting in the tub next to them no less!:rofl: :rofl: :fr: .... THAT beats the hairdryer :lol:

Shannon in ATL
04-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't go to a gym, but I have been running at the park lately, and have a peeve there I have nowhere else to share...

The outer track I run on is 16 feet wide, to allow for bikes and roller blades and such. You are supposed to yield to people passing, as long as the person makes audible notice that they are approaching to pass. I hate hate hate groups of folks who walk together side by side spread out along the entire width of the path and fail to move over to let people pass. I often have to pass on the dirt to the outside, which is uneven and rocky in places. Some of them will even make snarky comments to me about passing... I've turned three groups into the park police...

kittycat40
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't go to a gym, but I have been running at the park lately, and have a peeve there I have nowhere else to share...

The outer track I run on is 16 feet wide, to allow for bikes and roller blades and such. You are supposed to yield to people passing, as long as the person makes audible notice that they are approaching to pass. I hate hate hate groups of folks who walk together side by side spread out along the entire width of the path and fail to move over to let people pass. I often have to pass on the dirt to the outside, which is uneven and rocky in places. Some of them will even make snarky comments to me about passing... I've turned three groups into the park police...

Good for you! That is so annoying. I hate when people do that in general as I am always rushing to one place or another. You can't have the ENTIRE sidewalk!!!! Riiiiiight????

junebug41
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM

This bugs me to no end. I notice this with people who insist on going against the traffic on a track, too. First, you're going the wrong way. Second, I'm going to stand my ground and keep my path, so unless you want my shoulder, you should probably move.

Stand up straight, look straight ahead, and keep your path. They'll learn :)

(I know that sounds a little aggro, but it's a very clear signal that I'm not moving. And it works really well! I promise I don't go around shoulder slamming strangers ;))

Piiper33
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't like it when women dry their pubic area with the dryers--I am sorry but it grosses me out when I am just trying to get my makeup on!Thighsbegone....OMG UGHHHHH that is the nastiest thing I have ever heard. I can NOT believe people actually do that. UGH, I'm going to go puke now.

Plexi
04-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Im not a member of my local gym, apparently the personal trainers there like to make fun of heavy people :/

BlueToBlue
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Tony Gentilcore's blog post on a similar topic

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/step_up/index.php/2008/07/09/dont-be-that-guy-or-girl/

That story about the guy in the spin class is hilarious. There is a guy in my spin class that does the same thing. Every time the instructor tells us to "gear it up," he's repeats her and he yells out other things that I guess are supposed to be encouraging but are mainly annoying. It's particularly annoying because I doubt he is putting any resistance at all on his bike (based on how fast his legs are moving and the fact that he can even yell these things out--when I'm spinning, yelling usually isn't an alternative).

One of my favorite bloggers just wrote today about locker room ettiquette (http://lancebreger.blogspot.com/2009/04/locker-room-etiquette.html). Fifth "don't" on the list is "[don't] dry your privates with the public hairdryer." Who knew this was such a problem?

I also hate the folks at the pool that don't know proper swim ettiquette. If there are three of us in the lane, you and your five-year old can't swim side by side. Also, if we're circle swimming and I'm about to pass you as we come into the wall, take two seconds out of your workout to move to the side of the lane and let me pass you. Seriously, two seconds is all it will take; it's not going to ruin your workout. And I'm going to pass you anyway, this just makes the process easier and more pleasant for everyone.

kiramira
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
When I lived in Italy, I used to do lap swims at the local pool. They never had any dividers for lanes. So you'd make your own lane and go back and forth. Until a guy who wanted to do lengths would just jump in and swim (ALWAYS the men; NEVER the women). To heck with anyone in his way. So you'd see buddy coming, you'd stop swimming, put your forearms up, turn your head, and let him crash into you. You'd then yell at him that "I was here FIRST" "FIND ANOTHER LANE". Whereupon he'd move. If you moved, you'd never get another space in the pool. I recall one guy banging into me, then the woman beside me, and the woman beside HER, and so on down the line of 15 people before eking out a lane right next to the pool edge. I hated every minute of it.
That and the men changing in the bleachers instead of the locker room. And standing around in their tighty whities (and sadly some in their frowny brownies) chatting and smoking away. Seriously...
Kira

Megan1982
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
That and the men changing in the bleachers instead of the locker room. And standing around in their tighty whities (and sadly some in their frowny brownies) chatting and smoking away. Seriously...

:lol3::rofl::lol3::rofl::lol3::rofl::lol3::rofl::l ol3::rofl::lol3::rofl::lol3::rofl:

OMG I'm dying over that one!

SGeranium
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I think I laughed myself into a asthma attack. Too funny ladies. I'm surprised the dryer thing is brand new to so many. I was swim team through HS, I have seen every don't more than once. As a grown up who is back in the pool for training, it's especially bad in there. I will sit on your wet towel all day if I never have to see you stretch naked again. For reals.

I'm totally going to work "frownie brownies" into a conversation somehow

teahoney
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I am DYING at frownie brownies.:lol:

Tomato
04-30-2009, 08:58 PM
On drying one's pubic area with a hair dryer:

Thighsbegone....OMG UGHHHHH that is the nastiest thing I have ever heard. I can NOT believe people actually do that. UGH, I'm going to go puke now.

Ok, you will probably all think that I am weird but I don't think this would bother me. I havent seen anyone to do that but why not? I assume they don't stick the hair dryer INTO the pubic and that there is no contact, so what's the difference between hair on the head and hair in the pubic area?

Regarding the locker room:
I consider myself very lucky to have a membership at a gym with spotless locker rooms. The showers are clean, there are shampoo (or maybe shower gel?) containers in each shower (i bring my own) and no matter what time of the year, there are ALWAYS fresh flowers. Actually three bouquets because in the middle of the room is is a counter with a big mirror (think a hairdresser's workstation). Each side has a hair dryer, a container with cotton and another one with Q-tips. Fresh flowers in a vase on each side and anotehr bouquet of flowers on the counter with the sinks. And it smells reasonably ok.
I love my gym!

Windchime
04-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I hate hate hate groups of folks who walk together side by side spread out along the entire width of the path and fail to move over to let people pass. I often have to pass on the dirt to the outside, which is uneven and rocky in places. Some of them will even make snarky comments to me about passing... I've turned three groups into the park police...

We have a beautiful trail that is miles long and winds down along the river here. I tried biking on it a few times--no go. People would be strolling along, 4 abreast, and they would not yeild or move when I biked up behind them and made myself known. Since I'm not a drive-my-bike-into-a-strolling-crowd kind of gal, I would have to bike off into the grass or dirt along the trail. Grrrr. It eventually got to be too much of a hassle and I didn't try to bike there any longer.

kaw
05-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Windchime -- you might try a little goofy horn. (My son likes the kind shaped like a shark.) Eventually, the walkers will learn.

Or not.

Be strong,
Kim

jellydisney
05-01-2009, 07:11 AM
My number one pet peeve is when people use the lockers in the locker room and don't LOCK them! Not because I care whether or not their stuff gets stolen, but because I have to open about 50 lockers to find an available locker. The lock not only protects your stuff, but it signals to everyone that that locker is in use. Some days I contemplate taking stuff just to teach people a lesson :devil:

My other pet peeve is the conversations (whether on the cell phone or to the person next to them). If I can hear you through my mp3 player on max volume, then you are too frickin loud! And how can you talk comfortably and get a good workout anyway??

jellydisney
05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
The woman who walks for 10 minutes at 2mp on the treadmill, and then wipes it off as if it were going out of style. The same woman who uses the weights machines, does the exercises wrong (which is pretty hard to do, but she manages), does 5-6 reps and then frantically wipes and sprays.

This reminds me of a germophobic woman at my gym who spends at least 75% of her workout wiping, spraying, and disinfrecting. She got on the treadmill in front of me and I literally watched her wrap the whole surface of the machine in paper towels so that no part of her body or any of her belongings would touch the actual machine. Cuckoo! :dizzy:

MissRicer
05-03-2009, 07:27 PM
one of mine is when you are on a treadmil and getting into the show that happens to be on in front of you and someone comes along beside you and changes it without asking. Rude!

Also, I used to work at a gym and this one lady kept spitting in the showers. Gross! We eventually had her membership suspended. for spitting. hahaha

Oh one other thing, but this may just be bathroom annoyances, but people that don't flush! It takes two seconds. (I have to admit that I'm a foot flusher to avoid touching the handle) :)

Jinksie
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
one of mine is when you are on a treadmil and getting into the show that happens to be on in front of you and someone comes along beside you and changes it without asking. Rude!

id say something.... "hey, excuse me, i was watching that!":dizzy:

WaterRat
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh one other thing, but this may just be bathroom annoyances, but people that don't flush! It takes two seconds. (I have to admit that I'm a foot flusher to avoid touching the handle)

OMG yes. I work in a public library and the staff has to share a bathroom with the actual public :lol: and it makes me crazy when people don't flush - or worse, when they leave the seat wet! Use the paper covers people, don't hover! Grrrrrr. (and i'm with you foot flushing)

bandit2
05-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Last night I opened a locker & inside was an unused feminine pad stuck to the back of the locker.

Thinfor5Minutes
05-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I left my last gym because the times for the classes were either during the day or at 5 or 5:30 p.m....unless you happened to be a spinner, for which there is an extra charge, or other super-challenging class which I was not yet ready to take. Apparently if you are newer to fitness you'd better be retired or a housewife; no working folks need apply. I spoke to the staff on numerous occasions about putting beginners' or less challenging classes in the schedule say at 6 or 6:30 p.m. or Saturday morning, but no one seemed to care, so I left and moved my business to the new gym across the street, at less than 1/3 the cost.

bobblefrog
05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I had a laugh at all these! I'm glad others have pet peeves, too... I work out at the exercise room at our apartment complex. It's not bad - one slightly slippy treadmill, bike, stairstepper and several weight machines. But more than two people you are probably going to have some conflict. Usually when we go around 7-7:30 no one else is in there (I suspect knowing the culture of our complex they've gone on to lifting beers ;-), but several times now we've overlapped with others and OMG I can't believe how rude some people are. The cell phone thing is unreal - who wants to know if you are going to "plead guilty" tomorrow and have to spend five minutes convincing your girlfriend you really are working out? And then there's those that turn on the TV so LOUD. And it's never anything interesting - (at least what I would be interested in). But the worst? Is the little imbeciles that BANG THE WEIGHTS after their set. Like do they think that this is going to make them seem more impressive like they were lifting a huge amount? OMG - I've gone to wait outside at a table by the pool and you can still hear them dropping them! And of course I am a newbie but even I know they are doing it wrong (I know - how can you do it wrong!) just sort of flailing about. Course their tattoos and bandannas and attitude do NOT cover up their stick thin legs and flabby beer guts :-) So, I just roll my eyes and in another year, who knows? Maybe I'll walk over to them with my buff arms and say, hey - did anyone ever teach you how to do this - you want results - let me show you how? Of course I might get knifed for doing that...maybe I'll just imagine that GRIN.

Windchime
05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I left my last gym because the times for the classes were either during the day or at 5 or 5:30 p.m....unless you happened to be a spinner, for which there is an extra charge, or other super-challenging class which I was not yet ready to take. Apparently if you are newer to fitness you'd better be retired or a housewife; no working folks need apply.

This is why I eventually quit going to the gym. I took a class called "Bodyflow" that I really liked. It was a mixture of yoga and pilates set to music and I loved it. Getting to the gym, finding parking, and getting to the classroom by 5 5:30 was nearly impossible for me. They also offered it some days at noon, but I hate going back to work hot and sweaty and there isn't time to shower and re-do makeup and hair in an hour when 50 minutes of that hour is a class!

A few months ago I went back to the gym to pick up a schedule and now they've cut the class back more, to where it is only offered a couple times a week, and only during the day. So people who work a traditional work schedule can't attend. Boo.

I live in a small town in a very rural area, so there are only a couple of gyms. Two are Gold's, and they're nice gyms but you'd better be prepared to circle the lot many times and hope someone leaves if you want a parking spot. Then you need to be prepared to wait.....and wait.......and wait.......if you want a treadmill. My mom is a member of the gym at the "Y" and she likes it, but she can go at 10 in the morning because she's retired. People who go at lunchtime or after work have the same problems; lack of parking, lack of enough equipment, etc.

bobblefrog
05-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Oh, and while ranting - let me do one more. We have a wonderful greenbelt with walking trails right next to us. I'm a walker - go with my dog - and I'm very conscientious. I always keep us to the right, dog is on a short leash, I step off to the side when stopping and I bag the poop. But the bikers!!!!!!!! THEY ARE SO RUDE AND ARROGANT. Some are nice and have bells but others wait until they are right behind you and YELL (scares me to DEATH) "LEFFFFFT". First few times I jumped left thinking they were yelling at me to go left. I've had them go just past and turn and scream at the dog to get a reaction. Those that aren't sneaky quiet are LOUD - you can hear them yelling their conversation to their buddy half a mile down the path (so much for my nature walk). And then okay, so some days it's grand central station with all the bikes flying by (no, they aren't going by the posted speed limit for bikes) so I take to the trails - and those are worse because you have the wanna be mountain bikers that come flying through forcing you off the path into weeds and briars. And they are supposed to yield to you. Bikes here take over everything - the road, the paved paths and the trails - and they sure act like the world belongs to them. I remember one almost knocking me over one day and the back of his shirt had this big graphic about cars being considerate to bikers - HAH!!!!!! Sorry, I used to bike and I know none of th lovely people are THOSE cyclists, but there are days I wish they'd have an open season on the arrogant ones (and they are always the skinniest ones with the most amount of advertising on their clothes I've noticed).

Okay. Done. I have wanted to get that off my chest for a very long time now. Thanks for listening!!! I really don't think it's more than 50% of the cyclists out there (and honestly I think it's a Colorado attitude - never found it in other states). So hats off to all the NICE cyclists! I know who you are and smile at you when I see you ;-)

Thinfor5Minutes
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Course their tattoos and bandannas and attitude do NOT cover up their stick thin legs and flabby beer guts :-)

LOL! At my previous gym there were a couple of 40ish guys who hung around together, and they really thought they were God's gift to women, let me tell you. They had big buff arms and chests, and huge beer guts and toothpick legs...and the sad thing was they had their groupies who batted their eyelashes at every witty remark that burst forth from these guys' golden throats. Only instead of the bandannas and tattoos, they had bleached blonde spiky hair like wannabe surfer dudes.

Thinfor5Minutes
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Cracks me up too how the guy who will go in and run 100 miles an hour on the treadmill will circle and circle around trying to get the parking spot closest to the door.

This is why I eventually quit going to the gym. I took a class called "Bodyflow" that I really liked. It was a mixture of yoga and pilates set to music and I loved it. Getting to the gym, finding parking, and getting to the classroom by 5 5:30 was nearly impossible for me. They also offered it some days at noon, but I hate going back to work hot and sweaty and there isn't time to shower and re-do makeup and hair in an hour when 50 minutes of that hour is a class!

A few months ago I went back to the gym to pick up a schedule and now they've cut the class back more, to where it is only offered a couple times a week, and only during the day. So people who work a traditional work schedule can't attend. Boo.

I live in a small town in a very rural area, so there are only a couple of gyms. Two are Gold's, and they're nice gyms but you'd better be prepared to circle the lot many times and hope someone leaves if you want a parking spot. Then you need to be prepared to wait.....and wait.......and wait.......if you want a treadmill. My mom is a member of the gym at the "Y" and she likes it, but she can go at 10 in the morning because she's retired. People who go at lunchtime or after work have the same problems; lack of parking, lack of enough equipment, etc.

ValRock
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh man I could list pages of these LOL. I go to the drill hall on the military base and get the whole range of weirdness.

I've seen an old lady using the wall attached dryer to dry her naked body after getting out of the pool. It was not a sight I would EVER like to see again. This is why we have towels right? The naked ladies also like to sit around in the locker room chatting. I always shower and change in the shower. I'm just not at a place where I want to parade around in the buff. I probably never will be. They always stare at me when I walk by like I'm the weird one!

The guys that run so hard on the treadmill they're practically barking instead of breathing. It's super distracting. It always ends up being the guy directly next to me doing it to!

There is a wall of mirrors at the front of the cardio room that I HATE because I always catch people glancing at me and each other. It's creepy to me. Nobody should have to see what my thighs are doing on the stair climber.

The guys playing basketball that have no regard for people walking by. I've almost been hit in the face with a ball about 20 times. There is no other way to get from the cardio room to the locker room!

The guys who wear the shorts that are slit up the side to the waist band. I don't care how buff or hot you are... not attractive.

The women who stand in front of the mirrors "stretching" errr showing off. I'm so happy that you have abs of steel... please step aside so I can use the weight bench... thanks!

I'm such a cranky gym goer!

Windchime
05-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Cracks me up too how the guy who will go in and run 100 miles an hour on the treadmill will circle and circle around trying to get the parking spot closest to the door.

At the gym I went to, you would circle and circle to find ANY spot. There were times that I actually had to just leave because there was noplace to park. There is no street parking and the only nearby business has conspicuous signs telling you that you WILL be towed if you park there and go to the gym. So if the gym parking lot is too full, too bad--maybe next time!

Platinum
05-20-2009, 02:16 PM
People are disgusting! Reading this makes me glad I canceled my membership! I hated when people didn't wipe down the equipment. And the stinky people and the snickers from the skinny b!tches! I don't think I'll ever join a gym again! I'm perfectly content to use my at-home treadmill, my free weights, my pilates videos, the nice nature trails around my area to walk and bike ride!

Ugh, I'm just relieved I don't have to deal with any of that crap at the gym. My gym wasn't so bad, but still to have to deal with any negative experiences like that just isn't worth it. And now just thinking about how nasty people probably are makes me want to puke! I work retail and always have my bottle of hand sanitizer with me. The gym-germs always kinda freaked me out. I never use a hand dryer anyway in public after seeing on tv how it is the biggest germ/bacteria trap ever, and then when u turn it on it blows all the germs around! Those ladies drying themselves down there better watch out! Lol! They're just blowing a whole bunch of bugs on their privates! But if they are that nasty to begin with they deserve it! Yuck!

Thinfor5Minutes
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Speaking of running on the treadmill, at my last gym the floor under the treadmills was so unstable that when someone was running on the treadmill next to mine, my treadmill would be shaking all over the place. Thank goodness that doesn't happen at my new gym. I was always waiting for the floor to collapse under me.

bobblefrog
05-21-2009, 08:34 PM

:rofl: GREAT OBSERVATION!

GypsyLove
05-23-2009, 11:36 AM
My gym used to be a Gold's gym but now is called signature fitness. The place gets so packed right after work but they expanded the gym so there's plenty of equipment to go around. The funny thing is that since it gets so packed I see the people circleing and waiting around the parking lot all the time too. We have 3 parking lots and some parking along the back of the building. People always circle the lots closest to the building but finding a spot there could take you 15-20 minutes. So when I go there I go straight to the lot farthest away which is a whole 1/2 a block away woohoo (note the sarcasm), it's completely empty and I'm in the gym in 2 minutes. I laugh at all the people to lazy to walk a few extra feet it's ridiculous!

Ursula745
05-23-2009, 03:30 PM
My number one pet peeve is when people use the lockers in the locker room and don't LOCK them! Not because I care whether or not their stuff gets stolen, but because I have to open about 50 lockers to find an available locker. The lock not only protects your stuff, but it signals to everyone that that locker is in use. Some days I contemplate taking stuff just to teach people a lesson :devil:

My other pet peeve is the conversations (whether on the cell phone or to the person next to them). If I can hear you through my mp3 player on max volume, then you are too frickin loud! And how can you talk comfortably and get a good workout anyway??

So you could just throw their things in the floor and take their locker, and lock it so they can't get you back :o Mean as it is....;)

pmeheran
05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
My wife is often having me come over to remove the 100s and 45s from the machine. I too notice how many of the younger men have no idea about gym manners. Also many of them are performing the exercises incorrectly. The navy base gym we work out at has a nifty thing for sanitation. A 3 foot tall cylinder dispenses sanitary wipes. Just tear off the one you want, wipe off the bench or machine and dispose of the spent wipe in the handy basket at the bottom. To avoid the crowd I go as early as possible. One time I had my knees wrapped and was ready to squat something like 500, when some jerk stepped up to the squat rack and started doing chinups. Since there are only a few women that work out there, I haven't noticed the perfume issue, but I can imagine that being a real problem.

sfj
05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
I haven't posted on here in so long but this one got my attention.

I belong to the local Y and about 3:30 p.m. and on everyday the middle and high school kids come. They are allowed to just roam around in the cardio section.

I do not remember being that annoying when I was that age, LOL.

Thinfor5Minutes
05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
The gym lock thing...irritates the heck out of me!

I am only 5'4", and the shelf of the lockers is above my eye level. I tend to use the same locker whenever I go to the gym...so the other day I stashed my stuff in my usual locker and was just ready to close the door and put on my lock when I happened to look up and noticed some woman's keys and a paper on the shelf of the locker. It's just by luck that I happened to see them...had I not, I would've locked her keys and paper in the locker with my lock and she would have been stuck until I came back. I was quite annoyed to have to move my stuff to another locker.

glutio
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Oh, jeez!!! SOOOOOO glad we don't have dryers!!

kaw
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I have to defend the no lock thing, because I've done it once or twice myself. And, there's no way *I* could be annoying? Moi? :)

Why no lock? Because when I work out when I'm traveling, I don't bring a lock with me -- I travel light! Most commercial gyms where one can purchase a day pass don't loan out locks, nor do they offer a place to leave your stuff other than the locker room.

So, my choices are to schlep my street clothes with me, which would get in the way of other lifters (and get chalk on my usually limited travel clothes), or to leave my non-valuables in a locker without a lock. I choose the latter.

I don't see that it takes that much effort to find another locker if the first one you open has stuff in it. Think of it as part of your workout, like parking in the underused lot that's half a block farther away from the front door... :)

Be strong,
Kim

Ilene
05-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I am one also that does not bring a lock, my bad, I didn't realize it was so annoying to some :lol: ...

I found another pet peeve tonight... It seems that 8 times out of 10 when I drink water from the fountain, because I forgot my bottle, there is a wad of gum in there... Tonight I forgot my bottle of water and lo and behold there was a wad of gum in the fountain...The gym management even have a sign above the fountain asking peeps to not throw their gums in there... :rolleyes:

Luckybustert
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
My gym pet peeves are...

1) The people who want to "work in" while I'm using a weight machine. It's quite obvious I'm working here, not just sitting around with my thumb up my wazzooo, and no, you're time is NOT more valuable than mine so please wait your turn.

2) The guy who gets on the treadmill next to me, starts running, and very shortly his sweat is flying all over the place.....if you're going to shower me with sweat, buddy, next time bring some soap too.

3) The gym employees have the music turned up so loud it drowns out my iPod.

4) Women who do not clean up after themselves.....everything from not flushing the toilet to leaving big wet messes all over the benches in the locker room to not bothering to pick up paper towels when they drop them.

5) Gym employees or others who take spray cleaners to the piece of equipment next to me. When that happens, I have trouble breathing and my work out is pretty much done. Thanks a frickin' lot. (Liked the idea someone posted about the wipes....much better than spraying substances into the air.)

6) The old woman who turns herself toward the jet in the hot tub, and a few minutes later turns around smiling. I don't need to see this (and if I did I'd find a porno with something more appealing to look at).

7) Having to open numerous unlocked lockers and finding them in use before I finally find one I can use and put my lock on. In my experience, these are often the same women who get *****y when you are blocking their immediate access to *their* locker when you're changing either before or after your workout. God forbid you don't snap to and get out of their way toot sweet.

8) Private conversations on cell phones in public areas.....I don't give a fat rat's a** who you're humping, how heavy your period is, what you ate last night or will eat in the future, what a jerk your boss is, how large your new zit is and whether or not you're planning to pop it....and yes, I've had to endure all of these conversations and worse.

I could probably come up with more, but those are the biggies. I've occasionally said something when these things have happened, only to be told I am a b*tch. That's fine.....at least I'm a b*tch with enough common sense to know better than to do these things!

Luckybustert
05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Why no lock? Because when I work out when I'm traveling, I don't bring a lock with me -- I travel light! [......]
I don't see that it takes that much effort to find another locker if the first one you open has stuff in it. Think of it as part of your workout, like parking in the underused lot that's half a block farther away from the front door... :)

I also travel light and bringing a lock does not impose any undue hardship on me. Sure I could leave it at home and tell others to just deal with it, but that wouldn't be very considerate of me would it?

Thinfor5Minutes
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Having to open numerous unlocked lockers and finding them in use before I finally find one I can use and put my lock on.

EXACTLY! It wouldn't be such a pain to find ONE such unlocked "in-use" locker, but I've already had to open up ten of them before I've found one that I can use. Plus there are the women who don't use a locker at all. Once I had to move someone's used panties and sweat socks in order to open the locker I had my stuff stashed in. I took my complaint to the management that time...they promised to address the issue, but to my knowledge, they never did.

Thinfor5Minutes
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
How about the "space hogs?" One day I had off from work and decided to try a group class that I hadn't been to before...I got to class early and chose a spot. This woman came in and stood about two inches from me, while loudly informing me that I was in "her" space. The instructor heard and instead of correcting the woman, she reinforced her by saying, "Oh, yes, Linda always likes to have "her" space." I had two choices: move or demand that she remove herself from the space I had chosen, since I arrived first. I chose to move out of the way so I wouldn't create a scene, but it set the wrong tone for the class for me. I don't belong to that gym any more...'nuff said.

SweetScrumptious
05-30-2009, 11:40 PM
At my boyfriend's gym:

He said that they now have a notice up in the locker room saying something along the lines of "naked in the changeroom is now forbidden. if you are caught, you will be banned from the gym".

It wasn't saying nakedness is not allowed in the showers, etc. It was more referring to walking around the open change room, standing in front of the mirrors naked, etc.

I guess people are starting to get serious about this haha.

lookingtobehealthy
05-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I am fortunate to have a gym at work and that I rarely have to share it, however I do not like it when people use the equipment and then do not clean up after themselves.

my3monthchallenge
06-09-2009, 06:50 AM
It is so ridiculous how some people pay to workout but won't do it for free!!

My gym is on the B2-B3 floor and there's *one* elevator (which, mind you, I've never used). I think it's absolutely ridiculous how people wait and line up in front of the elevator when they finish, to get back up to the first floor. Grandmas and grandpas with bad knees, maybe I can understand, but not salary men and women in their 20s and 30s.

TWO FLIGHTS OF STAIRS WON'T KILL YOU!
And it's good exercise for your lower body ;)

Depalma
06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
It is so ridiculous how some people pay to workout but won't do it for free!!

My gym is on the B2-B3 floor and there's *one* elevator (which, mind you, I've never used). I think it's absolutely ridiculous how people wait and line up in front of the elevator when they finish, to get back up to the first floor. Grandmas and grandpas with bad knees, maybe I can understand, but not salary men and women in their 20s and 30s.

TWO FLIGHTS OF STAIRS WON'T KILL YOU!
And it's good exercise for your lower body ;)

http://www.all4humor.com/images/files/24 Hour Fitness.jpg

Lydia227
06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
This is symbolic of so many things. :rofl:

Oh wait. Wait!...Toning Tables anyone? :devil:

http://www.toningathome.com/

WaterRat
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Or driving around the parking lot for the closest space? :lol:

L R K
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM

You have actually seen people do that?!?!? HAHAHA sooooo gross!

finn
06-10-2009, 05:49 AM
When women stand naked in front of the mirror blowdrying their hair - please put some clothes on, I don't need to see that much of you.

Su-Bee
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
My pet peeve is when I come out of a yoga class needing to pee, and the three stalls are already in use by women who are NOT peeing, but are too modest to change out in the public space in the locker room, so they're in there for 10 minutes doing their whole change thing while I JUST NEED TO PEE. At times, there have been other women in line ahead of me who also are going in there to change and not to pee. Can't you just give me 30 seconds in the stall to pee before you take your 10-15 minutes to change?!? Or just change in the open like the rest of us!

Thinfor5Minutes
06-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Not a peeve per se, but I have to wonder when I see women running around barefooted on the locker room floor...What on Earth are they thinking????

Meenamom
06-11-2009, 02:28 PM
This is symbolic of so many things. :rofl:

Oh wait. Wait!...Toning Tables anyone? :devil:

http://www.toningathome.com/

The funny thing about this is when I was 19 in 1988 I was manager of a place that used these tables and claimed they worked to help you lose inches...:?:
Body Design that was the name of the place:o

WaterRat
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Not a peeve per se, but I have to wonder when I see women running around barefooted on the locker room floor...What on Earth are they thinking????

You got it. I'll get naked, i.e. change in the open area, but I always have shower sandals or socks on my feet!

Stormkitty
06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
My pet peeve is when I come out of a yoga class needing to pee, and the three stalls are already in use by women who are NOT peeing, but are too modest to change out in the public space in the locker room, so they're in there for 10 minutes doing their whole change thing while I JUST NEED TO PEE. At times, there have been other women in line ahead of me who also are going in there to change and not to pee. Can't you just give me 30 seconds in the stall to pee before you take your 10-15 minutes to change?!? Or just change in the open like the rest of us!

I understand your frustration and sympathize with you but I'm 263 pounds and I'm totally embarrassed and mortified at the thought of changing and getting 1/2 naked in front of others. It's not just a matter of modesty for everyone. It gives me flashbacks to gym glass in school when we had to dress in front of everyone. One of the most traumatic experiences in my life was the day my 8th grade gym teacher decided to make a statement and forced all us girls to take a shower.....one large open shower w/ six shower heads. OMG

When I go to the gym now I change at work before I leave and then just go home and clean up.

ladeeda20
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm sure people have said these, but i need to get these off my chest...

I can't stand...
People who get on the machine next to you when there are 30 identical machines that are open.

People who wear perfume to the gym.

People who continuously peek to see how fast you are going.

One day I fear I will actually yell at one of these people!

KDuffer
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I understand your frustration and sympathize with you but I'm 263 pounds and I'm totally embarrassed and mortified at the thought of changing and getting 1/2 naked in front of others. It's not just a matter of modesty for everyone. It gives me flashbacks to gym glass in school when we had to dress in front of everyone. One of the most traumatic experiences in my life was the day my 8th grade gym teacher decided to make a statement and forced all us girls to take a shower.....one large open shower w/ six shower heads. OMG

When I go to the gym now I change at work before I leave and then just go home and clean up.

I actually had the reverse happen to me in high school where I totally got used to just changing in front of everyone because we had a teacher that would walk up and down the rows and throw a volleyball at your head if you were not stripping down to take a shower after gym. I think we were all so afraid of the teacher no one made a stink about what anyone else looked like.

In all honesty, I don't think people really pay attention to what other people are doing (at least in the male locker room).

Shannon in ATL
06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Duffer, a lot of women are catty, and unfortunately those do pay attention in locker rooms sometimes... I can't tell you the number of times girls in changing rooms looked at my flat chest and snickered when I was a kid... Including one really nice gym teacher who used to ask me why I even bothered with a bra... :o I always changed in the shower. And, as an adult, I always felt like women were looking at me when I changed at the gym and thinking about how unattractive I was...Now, don't know if they were or not as an adult, but I know they were as a teenage girl and the damage was already done... Today, I could care less - I reached a point several years ago, well before I lost weight and got into better shape - where I didn't give a flip what other people thought in the locker room and started changing in the open at the gym. Was probably helped along by living through a community shower in my residence hall in college. ;)

But hey, if I were a member of a gym I would totally be okay with getting naked now. I would however have to wear shower shoes or something, which I never did before. Oooo.

my3monthchallenge
06-26-2009, 01:42 AM
http://www.all4humor.com/images/files/24 Hour Fitness.jpg

mahahaha exactly what I mean!!!!:dizzy:

Lifeguard
07-02-2009, 06:51 AM
I love my little gym here in town. For the most part no problems.

But when I was working out at a World Gym - ugh. All the skinny minnies in their matching lycra outfits, make-up & hairdos - never breaking a sweat. Drove me nuts. That gym also had a horrible 2 storey layout with spiral staircase I would have to run up & down multiple times (which wouldn't have been a problem except I was terrified of falling down them with the spiral thing) to get my workout in.

People standing around chatting drive me batty. I once plowed right through a group of men who decided to have their mini-meeting right in the path I was doing walking lunges - I was there first!

I'm totally guilty of the lock thing - Never use them. I honestly had NO clue it was annoying. Hmmm...

Lydia227
07-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Lifeguard! :dance: HOW ARE YOU?! :hug:
It's nice to see you post. Is Baby wearing you out yet? Is he sleeping through the night, or should I ask are you? Just wait, it gets better. :D Just kidding.

men7al
07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I walk at the mall and thirft shopping or at the park w/my daughter I can't afford a gym membership.

plus,half those ppl are skinny and I want to choke half of them lol

try walking 5 hrs..so far thats kept me in shape.

men7al
07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
lol..that is other reason I avoid the gym those skinny beeouches and who works out with makeup that is some insane crap.

I walk around the mall and thift stores and is FREE and I do break a sweat try doing it for 5 hrs and with a kid in toll.

lol ppl should stop wasting there money on this memberships since,is all bogus..drive there..might as well walk there burns more calories..in nebraska there insane since,half everyone here avoid gyms since,the food is so good lol

men7al
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
mahahaha exactly what I mean!!!!:dizzy:

can I scream now..lol:dizzy:

marbear24
07-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I really didn't like when my old gym turned into a "pick-up" palace for high school kids. If you were, you know, not super skinny and were there to work out they got a major attitude with you. I guess I didn't get the memo that I wasn't supposed to work out at the gym, I was supposed to show up at the gym with fully done hair and makeup.

Too much nakedness really freaks me out too.

tikanique
07-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Worst gym experience ever: running laps on the track and two idiots were sitting in the corner rating the women that ran by. They gave me a 6. I wanted to stop and beat the tar out of them. SIX?!?! I'm at LEAST an 8!!! LOL.

Other peeve is people that bypass deodorant. If body odor represents power then I swear I've been on treadmills next to rulers of a HUGE DYNASTIES!!!!

forestroad
07-02-2009, 01:20 PM
The morning ppl at my gym are crazy! If it's not this one woman singing OUT LOUD on the elliptical to her ipod, it's these two old guys on the treadmills next to me airing their political frustrations to their deaf selves. The other day, one of them shouted to EVERY person who walked by and made eye contact (imagine old geezer voice): "Hey, did you hear about that Warren Buffet this weekend? He totally slammed the administration!"

Gotta love the silver sneakers ppl, but I just want to do my workout in peace!!

tikanique
07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
There was this BIG musle bound guy squatting just about every plate in the gym and in between sets he was singing "You Need a Man With, SEN-SI-TIVITY!!"" Normally outloud singers irk me but this guy was hilarious!!! The whole free weights section was cracking up laughing.

Lydia227
07-02-2009, 02:59 PM
There was this BIG musle bound guy squatting just about every plate in the gym and in between sets he was singing "You Need a Man With, SEN-SI-TIVITY!!"" Normally outloud singers irk me but this guy was hilarious!!! The whole free weights section was cracking up laughing.

Tiki: That is hysterical. Thanks for sharing. Great mental image. :rofl:

ennay
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
It is unseasonably hot here. We have 2 treadmills with fans and 2 without fans. Both of the treadmills with fans were taken by people NOT USING THE FANS. Other than the fans the treadmills are identical. As the dripping sweat poured into my eyes I got more peeved. Of course they have every right to use whatever treadmill they want but I WANT A FAN!!!! :tantrum: heh.

Lifeguard
07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Lifeguard! :dance: HOW ARE YOU?! :hug:
It's nice to see you post. Is Baby wearing you out yet? Is he sleeping through the night, or should I ask are you? Just wait, it gets better. :D Just kidding.

Thanks!

He's a busy, crawling boy but sleeps reasonably well at night (too bad he's nap resistant!).

I'm trying hard to get back at it.

morninggloria
07-21-2009, 09:24 AM
ROFL. These are great! I'm at a Bally's so I get some variation of every single one of these. The worst for me is the people that "super set" and insist on taking up three machines at any given time.

I go in when they open now so I'm generally there with the regulars that are there to work out and have good gym etiquitte so I don't have too many issues (actually this group is pretty great. very helpful and encouraging). After work and weekends is a whole different set of idiots though.

morninggloria
07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm totally guilty of the lock thing - Never use them. I honestly had NO clue it was annoying. Hmmm...

Me either. I still don't get it either :?: I never use a lock and I use the same locker every day. I lose the key, forget the combination, leave the lock at home etc etc so it's a giant hassle for me. My ADD self is lucky if I remember my waterbottle!

I imagine it being just as annoying seeing a sea of locks that you have to walk past to get to an empty one. I guess because you have the extra step of opening it??

Aclai4067
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
People not wiping down equipment definately gets me. My gym provides disposable wipes and there are like 8 dispensers in the room! No excuse. I work at the pool in my gym so most issues I have happen down there since that's usually where I am. Biggest pool pet peeves: people who swim across the width of the pool under the lane ropes, dirupting every swimmers laps; people who are resistant to sharing a lane when the pool is full (we're rarely this busy, you'll get over sharing once or twice); and people who play or sit and talk in the lap pool when all the lanes are full and people are waiting to get in a lane (we have a separate leisure pool for this purpose); and people who spit in the pool, even if it's in the drain, ewww.

Aclai4067
07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
The morning ppl at my gym are crazy!

Ha, awesome! Yeah morning regulars are the weirdest.

And a pool pet peeve I forgot. Parents who don't watch their kids!!! Epecially when the kids are under 5. This gets to me more as a lifeguard than a patron. We aren't babysitters!

Overall though I love my gym. It's the rec center at a University so we don't have the local high schoolers hanging around unless they're with their parents who are affiliated with the school. And since our personal trainers are all exercise science students they're not all money hungry salesmen like the trainers at other gyms i've attended

oooo, and this one. Not so much a pet peeve as a sorce of amusement at work. I love when the big muscular frat guys come in to the pool and swim as hard as they freaking can, splashing water everywhere, and then are too tired to continue after one lap. You pace yourself on the treadmill, why would you not think to do the same in the pool?

JulieJ08
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I imagine it being just as annoying seeing a sea of locks that you have to walk past to get to an empty one. I guess because you have the extra step of opening it??

I think it's more the extra step of opening "it" over and over and over and over ... and over and over and over ... uh, maybe the next one I try? ... nope ...

SamanthaJubilee
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
The perfume one gets me too - usually the gals on the treadmill about 2 mph, reading a magazine. And - though they never break a sweat - they never fail to wipe down the machine. :rofl:

Holy cow that cracked me up!

SamanthaJubilee
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I am afraid to say that I don't have any complaints about other fellow members at my gym (for fear that I will jinx myself). But hoarding equipment would annoy me and don't get me started on cologne/aftershave/perfume. I happen to have a acute sense of smell and even the tiniest dab of cologne is detected by my nose and I perceive it as if the person would be in a CLOUD of fragrance - although I am the only one who can smell it and others can't.
(I must have been a dog in my previous life).

I have that very same "problem". It drives me nutz!

SamanthaJubilee
07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

OMG - that is just nasty.

I've had to dry my hair that way one time, but that is just ew!

SamanthaJubilee
07-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I have experience many of the same issues as everyone here.

I have been one of those who has used body spray before I go to the gym...I will stop! (only did it when I forgot to add more deodorant before leaving)

I am the one who goes straight home, cooks dinner for my kids, gets ready to go while they eat & then packs everything/everyone up and heads to the gym...so I usually have my makeup on from work & my hair pulled back. I rarely use the locker room there unless I just have to go (my house is only 10 minutes away). So thankfully I haven't experienced any of that weirdness.

I hate it when people leave their sweat on the machines.

I love the weekends...it seems like almost no one wants to go then & I get free range!

BlueToBlue
07-24-2009, 04:01 AM

I've done that it. It's not a matter of what I was thinking, it's just that I forgot my flip flops (so I guess it's that I wasn't thinking). I'm not going to not work out and I'm not going to not shower afterwards just because I don't have my flip flops. And it was fine, I didn't get a foot fungus or anything.

Sometimes you forget things and you just have to make do. I've also forgotten my sweat towel and had to use paper towels. I've forgotten my water and had to be thirsty. I've forgotten my drying off towel at the pool (yes, I did use the hand dryers but I kept my bathing suit on--it beat drip drying in the unheated locker room or putting on clothing on soaking wet). I've forgotten my hair dryer and used the hand dryer for my hair (it really doesn't work that well, hopefully I won't have to do that again). I've forgotten my lock and had to leave my stuff in an unlocked locker.

my3monthchallenge
08-04-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't know if this happens anywhere else, but lately in our spinning classes the instructor has tried to turn it into a karaoke class. He finds songs that people can "sing along" to and he himself is shouting/singing over the mic while the class answers in something like "hey-hey-hey ho."

I don't mind the singing so much but I can't stop myself from laughing and am worried that one day I may fall over my bike. Does this happen at other gyms?? Or is singing in group lessons a Japanese thing? Please enlighten me.

JulieJ08
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I'd rather be working too hard to sing!