South Beach Diet - Ideas for Caramel?

View Full Version : Ideas for Caramel?

jenne1017
04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I saw a really yummy recipe that I'd love to try making SBD friendly but it calls for melting caramel squares. I think caramel is really just water and sugar, with maybe some vanilla, cooked. Can you use splenda in the same way, does anyone know?

Schmoodle
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Jenn, I've got some sugar free caramel syrup. I guess you could try boiling it down, but I think it would probably just recrystallize rather than thicken, and would also probably get way too sweet. If you could mix it with some thickener though, it might work - maybe with softened cream cheese with a little milk in it. Or you could try NSA caramel pudding. Jello has a dulce de leche flavor.

jenne1017
04-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Hmmm. All great ideas but not for this particular recipe. It's supposed to be "candy-like." I've just never seen SF caramel but know they do it because it's in those SF Russel Stover candies. Oh well. No Easter dessert for me ;)

kaplods
04-10-2009, 04:26 PM
There are sugar free caramels. I've seen them in the candy aisle in Walgreen's and I think Walmart.

The splenda website says you can't make candy with 100% splenda, they recommend substituting no more than 1/3 of the sugar with splenda in a candy recipe. You may be able substitute for more, but the results are unpredictable.

cottagebythesea
04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Kraft makes a sugar-free caramel syrup, and Milk Maid makes caramels with Splenda. I've seen them readily available in most stores. Would either of these work for you?

beachgal
04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Jen, the one thing Splenda doesn't do is caramelize. Sadly. I don't know if any other sugar sub does (I'm thinking erythritol or xylitol, possibly), but I doubt it. Most SF caramel is made with malatol, but I have no idea if they caramelize it or just use flavoring.

Therefore, the best options are to use pre-made products. Cottage mentioned the two I'm most familiar with. I can't find Milk Maid caramels here, so when I do find them (usually in Wisconsin), I hoard bags of them! They work just like the sugar ones in terms of melting and stuff--I made caramel sauce with them before I found the one in the ice cream aisle. Sounds like it'd be perfect for this recipe (the Milk Maid ones, that is).

Good luck!

jenne1017
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I've never seen the caramels ladies! So weird. I searched to no avail. I had a SF Jello Rice Pudding as my treat (on yet a little off) and it worked for me.
THANKS!

beachgal
04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Jenn, they may not sell them in your area. Might find them online, though. :chin:

I've seen the caramel sauce (made by Smuckers) everywhere, though. Should be easy to find. If you're looking for pudding, try the SF Jell-O brand "Dulce de Leche" one. It's vanilla pudding with a layer of caramel on top. Delish! :T