Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #1  
up n down

S/C/G: 170/143/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Do you eat right after you workout?

I always work out at night (around 1000-1100pm) and then shower and then go on my computer and watch tv before I go to bed (between 12 and 1). I figure that it is too late to eat. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes I'm not. But I've heard in a few places that you should eat after a workout. Should I or shouldn't I? I've eaten up all my calories by then, too. So it's not like I'm not eating enough.
LaLa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #2  

I've never tried to exercise so late, so I really don't know what would I do in your place... probably the same thing!
I was used to exercise very early (at least for me!) a.k.a. at 7am just as the gym opened, before going to work. When that was my routing, I tried to have a smallish breakfast just not to collapse during my workout, and when I was finished I was STARVING so I had to eat something! Basically I kind of split my breakfast in half to have something to eat before and after... Now that I am at home I have not found my routine yet... I tend to go to the gym quite late in the morning, so when I'm done it's lunch time, but if I get up early I have breakfast ages before hitting the gym and I was thinking about a mid-morning/pre-workout snack... but I've not figured it out yet!
alhrayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #3  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

well i used to exercise at 10-11pm but i always eat before that -
after work out, i often don't feel hungry - i drink alot of water after working out anyways.
i often stay up late so 2 hours+ before bed time if i still feel hungry then i'll allow myself to eat something light. If not then no.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I work out around 8 pm, I don't eat afterwards. I usually have dinner around 5:30 to 6 pm.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

I'm never hungry after a work out because i always tell m yself that i didnt do all that work for nothing!! Which is why i lose weight only when i exercise lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Yes, I eat after my workouts but that's because I get my workout in during my PE class from 2-3. I eat a snack beforehand at around 1:30 and then I come home and eat lunch... so that's just the way my eating schedule works out!

I wouldn't worry about eating after you workout unless you get hungry, or unless you're trying to reach certain fitness goals. I've heard that if you're trying to build muscle, that it is helpful to drink a protein shake shortly after lifting.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #7  
sugar is the devil

It's best to work out in the mornings or late afternoons - as your body tends to work off calories (you put into your body that day and the ones that are stored) that time of day the best. In the evening, your metabolism slows down as it is preparing itself for a sleep. That said, I know it is very hard to exercise during the day - I often find myself going to the gym in the evenings too (tho not that late).

BUT, after exercising it is best for your body to have efficient fuel sources after a workout so it doesn't use calories from muscle mass. Your best bet is to have a "small" whey isolate protein shake to just fuel your body enough before you go to bed. This is my advice and what I would do in your position, but I don't have any "research" facts; you may want to look into it.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #8  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

I either eat before or after, depending on when I had dinner.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #9  
up n down

S/C/G: 170/143/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks guys! Ya, I know I have a funny schedule. I just have way more energy to work out at night. I've always been a nightowl. I guess I'll see how my weight loss goes and go from there. I will also try to research it more scientifically, too.
LaLa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #10  
AKT

S/C/G: 213/207.5/160

Height: 5'8"

I read that you need to eat within a half an hour after working out or else your body will begin breaking down your muscles to repair itself or something like that
AKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #11  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Both my trainer and nutritionist said it doesn't matter if you eat at night or not. It's about calorie consumption and the types of food you eat throughout the day. It's a myth and it never effected me when I lost a lot of weight and was working out late like you!

I would work out sometimes after 11 when I got off work and although I didn't eat a big meal - I would have a protein shake and piece of toast or something like that - I can't sleep if I have a full tummy.

Really important to fuel your body after
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #12  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

PS LaLa - you have such beautiful skin and hair and that smile!!! Good luck on your journey!!!
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I only eat after a workout if that is a normal time for a meal. During the week I exercise as soon as I get off work (4:15) so by the time I'm finished it is dinner time. But on the weekends I usually exercise around 2, so when I finish it isn't time to eat, so I don't. If you feel like you need a bit of something after you exercise I would recommend that you stick to protein, because according to Jillian it is better to eat protein right before bed than carbs (maybe a piece of cheese, some nuts, etc).
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote