Weight Loss Support - Silly Inspiration: Stickers & Tweets

Reddalice
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I am going to turn a question on to you guys to help us all, the same question I posed to an LJ group a few days ago. What silly everyday things do you do that helps you stay on plan and inspires you to do more?

Here is what I do, feel free to adopt the practice, but beware... getting in touch with your inner 5 yr old can be addictive. My "system" is called the sticker system. Its akin to a workout journal... but different. It can be complicated and works the same way as giving a five year old a star for good work. I have a huge yellow poster board tacked to my wall next to the TV. On it, I have drawn on a five week calendar in black ink. In each box I get to put a sticker in it for each designated activity I have chosen as making a significant difference in my health. The stickers may or may not be relevant to the activity. I have a snoopy for hiking, a huge star for alternative forms of transportation that exceed a mile (walking/biking to work, school, etc), multi-colored happy faces for running (more than 2 miles), paw prints for waking (more than 1 mile), and judo is a red dinosaur, and a workout dvd is a sparkly lady bug. I also have special stickers for 5ks, fun active activities (lol...active activities. I mean as in ice skating, bowling, rollerblading, etc), and more. And, on days that I record my food intake I get to outline the day in a purple marker. Yesterday I ran my first five miles outside of a race, I got two and a half happy faces (yes... half a face).

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii259/Reddalice/IMG_2262.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii259/Reddalice/IMG_2267.jpg

The next is I started using twitter and as I complete activities I text from my cell to a twitter account. I'm shouting out to the world and acknowledging how much I really do. It's like this: www.twitter.com/reddwomyn (www.twitter.com/reddwomyn). Both these things have done huge and wonderful things for me. Now... your turn!

aneleh
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I love the idea! My school gym has a poster where you can write your name down and put a star sticker for every day of the month you work out, it's pretty sweet.

harrismm
04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Cute idea.If I did this my kids would think id finally went off the deep end.LOL!

thistoo
04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I do this by putting my weight for the day in my Google calendar every morning. That way when I'm at work and someone brings in junk food to share, I can look at my calendar and see the numbers going down over the week (month, year, whatever it takes!) and make the decision on whether the calories are worth it in the face of my progress.

Yours, of course, is much more colorful! I like the idea of your Twitter, too.

Reddalice
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I thought of another one, no dramatic pics though this time. I come to 3fatchicks and read posts... esp... goal photos.

CakeBatter
04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah REd I want a poster and I am going to get one today along with glittery stickers! Yay!

healthytoad
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I do this. I got one of those cheap desk calendars at office max ($4.95 i think) and use different stickers each month, 1 sticker for each hour of exercise and one for meeting my food goal. I also write down my weight when there is a change. Yes, it is strangely motivating!

Buttercup
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I did it a little differently. I have a notebook that I decorated on the outside and the inside has before and update pics. Motivational quotes from 3FC. My food and excercise log. My personal journal thoughts. Reports and goals from my nutritionist and exercise physiologist. And any other thing I want to document about my journey. I decorate the pages and use colored paper. Some are in plastic sleeves so they don't get messed up. I LOVE looking for pretty stickers and motivational quotes to use in it. It is something for me and it keeps me motivated and grounded. I am looking forward to looking through all of it when I get to goal!:comp:

mrsaugie
04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
you know i do not think it is silly if it works for you. keep it up.

Apple Cheeks
04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
LOL! My chart looks almost the same!

The hearts are for my morning work-out, the teddy bears are for my evening jogs, and the stars are for sticking to my eating plan. (I don't work out on the weekends, and eat whatever I want on Saturdays, which is why there are gaps there).

And I HATE missing a sticker on my chart!

http://i44.tinypic.com/ixfuwn.jpg

Sorry this pic is so big, but I got a mac not too long ago and don't know how to downsize images on it!!

wiginn
04-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't do stickers, but I track my workouts (or not) each day and then my weekly progress against my weight loss goals. I like having a 'visual' reference to check myself against. If I slack on workouts, it shows in a slower weight loss. We all have to find what works for us!

Thanks for sharing!

EZMONEY
04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I think it is a great idea!

iamacrayon
04-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I use twitted as well, I find of really motivates me as I know people on there from everyday life and I get really excited knowing that people see exactly how hard I am working, and it gives me a good record as well...I use the exercise accountability thread on here too! I am really behind on exercise right now though...oops!