General chatter - Coffee Drinkers

View Full Version : Coffee Drinkers

willow650
04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
What is your favorite coffee to brew? Do you prefer whole bean or ground? Where do you buy it? Anyone make low cal flavored lattes? If so what is your recipe?

I always use whole bean, I was using 8'Colck Coffee and now I use Dunkin Donuts Whole Bean. If I was rich and could afford the calories I would drive to Starbucks and drink a quad, iced, grande white chocolate mocha every day.....lol

Thighs Be Gone
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
At home I love the Dunkin' Donuts coffee beans. To flavor, I like the Starbucks sugar-free syrups. There is vanilla, cinnamon and hazlenut. You buy them by the liter at Starbucks. Be sure to ask for the pump.

ETA: I typically use skim milk for my cream BUT a deelish alternative is the NIDO powdered milk.

rileyozzy
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I love coffee and I usually buy Starbucks, but I also like to try all different types. I also like chai, but it is a special treat.

Jennifer 3FC
04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I like Frank Sumatra blend by Larry's Beans. Really great coffee!

willow650
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I like Frank Sumatra blend by Larry's Beans. Really great coffee!

Where do you get this?

annie175
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I, too, am a Dunkin' Donuts fan. I use the 8'oclock coffee also. From Starbucks I like the decaf, non-fat, sugar free cinnamon dolce latte with two equals. Couldn't get any "dieter" than that.

Leeesa
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Best coffee I ever had was yellow catoui(sp?) from Kauai Coffee, I had it every day while I was there and you can order it online but it's really expensive, so I do it once a year around Christmas as a special treat. Safeway here in Canada also makes a "fat free creamer" which is AWESOME because it looks/tastes like real creamer but it's 15 cal and .4 g fat per tbsp. Second favorite is Caffe Artigiano, they make a non-fat cap to die for, it tastes rich and creamy, I think they are only local here in Vancouver tho.

Jennifer 3FC
04-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Willow, I buy the Larry's Beans at Earth Fare, which is similar to Whole Foods. He has a coffee finder on his website (http://www.larrysbeans.com/).

Shannon in ATL
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I got a Keurig for Christmas last year, and use a variety of different coffees. I have one cup every morning, an occasional one before bed, sometimes up to four on the weekend... :)

ETA: My favorite coffee brand right now is Timothy's - I like the flavored and the non-flavored. I tend to use fat free french vanilla creamer.

SweetScrumptious
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't make coffee so I usually go to Starbucks and get a non-fat, no sugar vanilla (or caramel) latte! Those are delicious. I also love Tim Horton's French Vanilla or English Toffee Cappuccinos but they don't come in non-fat, sugar free varieties so it's very little now that I get coffee from there.

I think my taste buds are maturing because I used to only really really love drinking flavored coffee (mochas, lattes, capps, fraps, etc). But now, I'm starting to drink coffee with milk and sweetener on my night shifts at work since I have no other choice. And I actually don't mind them. BUT I still love my flavored coffee so much more!

willow650
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
today I tried splenda flavored sweeteners. I bought caramel, its pretty good. i have had 2 iced coffees with that and skim milk.

Wolf Goddess
04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
I buy regular Yuban from Costco. I brew it at home and take my own thermos to work. I usually add some sugar-free Cofee-mate and Splenda, but sometimes I add half&half for a treat.

EZMONEY
04-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Folgers Classic Roast or Yuban works fine for me....12 cups+ a day...black...every day.

glitterducky
04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I like Starbucks blends...the more sugar the better. lol... I know. Bad. I usually get the blended drinks so maybe this doesn't count as "coffee"

CyndiM
04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Pierce Bros. Coffee Roasters either Red Eye Express or Fogbuster, I grind them at the Co-op. I love really dark bot not bitter roasts

GatorgalstuckinGA
04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
i have a franxis x5 which makes great espresso and i use Illy macchiato brand for the best espresso every.

PearFreak
04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Big Coffee Lover here.
I buy the whole beans and grind them as I need them. I used to get 8 O'clock, but am now preferring Starbucks (when I am not there buying me some) and get Seattle's Best delivered.

I love flavored creamers, but opt for the Fat Free... and use a Splenda packet for sweetener.

learningtoliveagain
04-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Whole bean 8 O' Clock coffee, ground as I need it. Can't stand flavored creamers. It has to be T.G. Lee Half-n-Half and not fat free. If it's fat free it taste like I poured water in my coffee. And I like it strong. If a spoon don't stand straight up in the cup, it isn't strong enough.

PearFreak, I worked for Albertson's for 11 years and one of my many positions was coffee bar manager and we served Seattle's Best. It's a pretty good coffee.

willow650
04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I just made an Iced Mocha, it was very yummy. i started with strong coffee, 1 serving of International Coffee's Swiss Mocha(sugar free) and about 4oz skim milk and its only 85 calories

newleaf123
04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
I make my own blend of 50% Starbucks Komodo Dragon and 50% Starbucks Decaf Cafe Verona. I get the whole beans and then grind every morning.

Hyacinth
04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I use whole beans from a few local coffee shops who roast them in-house. In a pinch, I'll use a Starbucks or other chain bean, but I find them substandard.

I grind every day, and I like my coffee with a little 1% milk in it. Maybe 2% or whole, if I am buying a drink instead of making it at home.

ladyrider72472
04-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I never drank coffee until I was single and I had a 2nd job where I got up at 2am and started typing at home..... then I fell in love with it. I started out with lattes, but now I drink it black with Equal. My favorite is at a place down the "strip mall" from my office, they have Southern Pecan, so I put 4 equal and a shake of Cinnamon in it...... so it is only about 10 calories, 0 fat..... it works for me b/c I don't want to spend calories on my coffee..... if I want an extra cup-- no biggie only another 10 calories.

Just my 2cents.

Tammy

tinycities
04-14-2009, 06:43 AM
I buy ground beans as I don't have any means of grinding them at home, but I'd like to get a grinder soon. My favourite pre-ground supermarket stuff is Illy, but it can be quite pricey here. I usually get pretty standard issue stuff like Lavazza. The best coffee I've bought is from this really lovely chap on the market back home. He's had a stall for several decades and he really knows his stuff. His coffee is freshly ground and absolutely delicious.

In terms of how my coffee is prepared at home, I brew it using a simple aluminium stove-top espresso maker, like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moka2.jpg). It's a primitive machine but I find it does an equal, or superior, job to many of the more expensive machines. I like my coffee black, or sometimes with a dash of whole milk. I really don't like all of the lacto-uber-sweet milkshake-style coffee drinks that places like Starbucks serve up. Not only are they horribly overpriced for what they are, but I find it hard to detect the coffee in there amongst all of the fake sweetened plasticy flavours. To be honest, I find Starbucks coffee pretty dire, even if you're just drinking the regular black stuff (I will not call my plain black coffee "Americano"!). To me it just tastes a bit like muddy lake water and I'm startled at their international success as a chain (but then again, I feel they're actually trying to sell a lifestyle rather than a decent beverage, so that's not surprising).

PinkyPie
04-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Well, I work for Starbucks, at the roasting plant in Amsterdam, but even prior to that I *always* bought Starbucks whole bean and ground it myself. My favourite coffee is Kenya at the moment, with a close second being the Ethiopia Sidamo. It has an amazing juiciness that I can *not* get enough of.

I am generally a purist when it comes to coffee (read: snob) and drink it black only. I do however have a Triple Tall Non-Fat Latte every morning when I arrive at the office. On the very rare occassion, I will add a bit of SF vanilla syrup to my latte but generally speaking, I do not like sugary coffee at all.

PinkyPie
04-14-2009, 07:38 AM
In terms of how my coffee is prepared at home, I brew it using a simple aluminium stove-top espresso maker, like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moka2.jpg). It's a primitive machine but I find it does an equal, or superior, job to many of the more expensive machines. I like my coffee black, or sometimes with a dash of whole milk. I really don't like all of the lacto-uber-sweet milkshake-style coffee drinks that places like Starbucks serve up. Not only are they horribly overpriced for what they are, but I find it hard to detect the coffee in there amongst all of the fake sweetened plasticy flavours. To be honest, I find Starbucks coffee pretty dire, even if you're just drinking the regular black stuff (I will not call my plain black coffee "Americano"!). To me it just tastes a bit like muddy lake water and I'm startled at their international success as a chain (but then again, I feel they're actually trying to sell a lifestyle rather than a decent beverage, so that's not surprising).

that is actually the *best* way to make coffee, with that little stovetop machine you have! I have one of those, plus several french presses, plus a fairly manual espresso machine at home.

contrary to popular belief, Starbucks is *not* only serving "lacto-uber-sweet milkshake-style coffee drinks" and I'm actually sorry that people do think that of Starbucks. Also, an Americano is different than brewed black coffee (Americano is made with espresso shots and hot water, which many people think make the espresso weaker, when in fact the hot water infuses it more to make it stronger); the brewing methods have a very different impact on the outcome of the drink.

Granted, I am not a huge fan of the sugary, milky drinks and I wish more people knew what beautiful coffee can be made from some of the beans that we source (I have my faves and less faves). The success has come partially from these "popular" non-coffee-drinking-peoples coffee drinks, but also from partners who are passionate about coffee and from sourcing the highest quality beans possible.

I would challenge anyone (and it's *not* for everyone, I accept that) to re-try Starbucks and literally ask for a French Press of something like Kenya or Ethiopia Sidamo (which I think are some brilliant beans at the moment - as coffee is an agricultural product it can vary from crop to crop). It may not be on the menu, but if you ask for it, they should make it for you. And if you still think it tastes like muddy lake water, I'm sorry you feel that way and I do hope you find a brew out there that suits your tastes!

tinycities
04-14-2009, 08:14 AM
that is actually the *best* way to make coffee, with that little stovetop machine you have! I have one of those, plus several french presses, plus a fairly manual espresso machine at home.

contrary to popular belief, Starbucks is *not* only serving "lacto-uber-sweet milkshake-style coffee drinks" and I'm actually sorry that people do think that of Starbucks. Also, an Americano is different than brewed black coffee (Americano is made with espresso shots and hot water, which many people think make the espresso weaker, when in fact the hot water infuses it more to make it stronger); the brewing methods have a very different impact on the outcome of the drink.

The stovetop machines are awesome, aren't they?! I want a bigger one now, I have a 3-cup one which makes a nice mug, but I'm after a 6-cup, or maybe a 12 for when I'm making for a couple of people that like a large, strong brew!

Yeah, I am aware of how an Americano is made, and I understand that shops may just be trying to distinguish espresso+water from filter coffee, hence the use of the term. I guess that in the UK at least, the use of the term "Americano" seems to be a rather recent affectation; a label for something cafes have been doing for years anyway and calling it plain black coffee, without the need for the Italian name. If I go into a decent coffee shop (that doesn't serve filter coffee), people here know and understand what is meant by "black coffee" (I don't need to call it a "Tall Americano" or anything like that), so I guess I just find the term a bit unnecessary. It strikes me that the places in the UK that tend to use it the most are the ones wanting to appear terribly European and cultured and stuff (and not white, pasty and uncool British like we really are!), and buy into the whole cool coffee shop yuppie lifestyle thing. I guess it's just a cultural difference, it's a tiny thing anyway, I just know it's a term that slightly irks me and other people I know who like a nice cup of the black stuff.

I will definitely try what you have said next time I need a coffee and Starbucks is in the vicinity! I'd certainly be willing to give it another chance, so thank you for the info! It is really good to know that they will make you drinks other than those specified on the menu - that's very encouraging.

PinkyPie
04-14-2009, 08:44 AM
you are so welcome! I hope you get a similar appreciation for a french press pot of African coffee that I have - Oh how I would love to have you come round so I could do several pots of several different kinds of brews and we could talk about it whilst tasting (low/non-fat of course...) food samples that compliment each coffee...

Tomato
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I am trying to stick with decaf so I buy ground coffee - usually President's Choice Decaf (organic), I really like the taste.
When I drink regular coffee, my big indulgence is French Caramel flavour. You will laugh but I actually buy it from my hairdresser (out of all places, LOL). They have a coffeemaker to make coffee for customers and buy the coffee from some supplier - it comes in round sachets (like tea sachets) so they can make a different flavour for individual customers. I fell inlove with the French Caramel flavour and my hairdresser being such a nice person, she offered to order some for me. It has become an established routine. Everytime I come for a haircut, I tell her how many boxes to order (each box has 25 sachets I think) and when it's in (about a week later, I swing by to pick it up. I don't remember which company it is from, but if anyone is interested, I can look at the box when I am at home.

willow650
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Velveteen, I So wished I lived somewhere around you...LOL and would LOVE to work where you work..lol A friend of mines uses the stove top espresso maker, she got hers in Spain, I wish I could find on here in the US somewhere. Speaking of coffee, I think I am out of beans this morning, how sad :(

Tomato
04-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Velveteen, I So wished I lived somewhere around you...LOL and would LOVE to work where you work..lol A friend of mines uses the stove top espresso maker, she got hers in Spain, I wish I could find on here in the US somewhere. Speaking of coffee, I think I am out of beans this morning, how sad :(

They should not too hard to find, I see them here (in Canada) in quite a few stores. Try a deli store in an Italian neighbourhood or a restaurant supply store. If nothing else, I am sure you can get it online.

tinycities
04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
you are so welcome! I hope you get a similar appreciation for a french press pot of African coffee that I have - Oh how I would love to have you come round so I could do several pots of several different kinds of brews and we could talk about it whilst tasting (low/non-fat of course...) food samples that compliment each coffee...

Aww, bless you, that sounds awesome! I would so love to do that! I've never really tasted different coffees side-by-side before, and I think that would be fascinating and so much fun!

Willow, I don't know anything about proper stores in the US, but I know eBay has loads of the stove top pots for sale, if you're comfortable with using eBay! I wouldn't make coffee any other way now... they are wonderful devices!

mygritsconfessions
04-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I have never heard of french press African coffee - sounds wonderful! Yummmm! I drink regular coffee from the grocery store, which is good, but doesn't sound as wonderful as that!!!!!!

PinkyPie
04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Aww, bless you, that sounds awesome! I would so love to do that! I've never really tasted different coffees side-by-side before, and I think that would be fascinating and so much fun!

To be honest, any proper specialty coffee shop should do this for their customers. If/when you have time, ask for the Store Coffee Master in your local Starbucks and let them know you would really like to do a coffee tasting. Sometimes there are seminars set up - you can also ask in the store when the next one would be. We do things like Aroma Labs and "Geography as a flavour". This way you would get to taste several coffees and learn more about the areas they come from, the processing methods, etc. I think then you would understand that Starbucks is NOT just a milky-sugary-can't-taste-the-coffee machine. I would expect Costa or Caffe Nero to have similar things going on. Are you anywhere near London? I can recommend one place there that is out of this world - and those people are big time experts who used to roast on the spot (and now do it near the shop). Very passionate people.

I have never heard of french press African coffee - sounds wonderful! Yummmm! I drink regular coffee from the grocery store, which is good, but doesn't sound as wonderful as that!!!!!!

Well, to be fair, a french press is just a cafetierre or a press pot. Bodum sells great press pots but you can get them cheap at Target I believe (I'm not in the States so I'm going by memory here!). It's just a different brewing method than the normal Mr. Coffee type of pot. I'm probably going too off topic now but I'd be happy to elaborate more and give precise instructions on how you can make your own press pot of African coffee at home, if you are interested!! (I LOVE Coffee. am a Coffee Master and was the 2008 Coffee Ambassador for our region so I know a little bit ;) about coffee)

willow650
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I think then you would understand that Starbucks is NOT just a milky-sugary-can't-taste-the-coffee machine.
I refuse to let ya'll make me feel bad ofr loving my white chocolate mocha's...lol I get it grande sized with 4 shots of espresso, so I do very much still taste the coffee...heehee

Well, to be fair, a french press is just a cafetierre or a press pot. Bodum sells great press pots but you can get them cheap at Target I believe (I'm not in the States so I'm going by memory here!). It's just a different brewing method than the normal Mr. Coffee type of pot. I'm probably going too off topic now but I'd be happy to elaborate more and give precise instructions on how you can make your own press pot of African coffee at home, if you are interested!! (I LOVE Coffee. am a Coffee Master and was the 2008 Coffee Ambassador for our region so I know a little bit ;) about coffee)

Yes please give precise directions...lol I use to have a press, well I bought it for my husband to take with him on deployment so he didn't have to drink ships coffee....lol. It ended up broken after he got home.

PinkyPie
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I refuse to let ya'll make me feel bad ofr loving my white chocolate mocha's...lol I get it grande sized with 4 shots of espresso, so I do very much still taste the coffee...heehee

Yes please give precise directions...lol I use to have a press, well I bought it for my husband to take with him on deployment so he didn't have to drink ships coffee....lol. It ended up broken after he got home.

oh no, don't feel bad, everyone has different tastes! and that's the way to drink it! Get more shots!! :lol:

I will PM you the instructions :)

willow650
04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I just found out that there is an Italian Market on the other side of the city, I read they have non food items so I am going to go see if they have a stove top espresso maker.

PearFreak
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM
PearFreak, I worked for Albertson's for 11 years and one of my many positions was coffee bar manager and we served Seattle's Best. It's a pretty good coffee.

Oh another SB coffe fan. I really like their coffee. It is delish. They don't sell it in my area, so I have to order it, but I get a shipment every two weeks. So not bad, and it is FRESH.