General chatter - what color shoes go with navy?

View Full Version : what color shoes go with navy?

walking2lose
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi ladies,

I just bought some navy dress pants for work, and I don't own navy shoes. Is there a rule which says what color shoes go with navy? Brown? Black? I have always loved navy, and there is a lot of it in the stores now, but I need to know what color shoes.
Thanks!

srmb60
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I'd wear black because that's what I have. However ... Clinton and Stacey maintain that they don't have to match, just go.

So anything with a similar colour weight would probably be fine. Dark brown, oxblood, black --or-- a kicky colour like red or multi coloured.

sws19
04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
i say anything. depends what you wear on top. i would be willing to consider anything in the browns or tans, whites, off whites, or even a killer red or yellow for a crazy pop of color. sorta depends on your personal style and what shirt you're wearing.

aphil
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I absolutely would NOT wear black shoes with navy pants. It would be too close to trying to match, but not succeeding (like wearing dark brown shoes with black pants...)

I think it is going to depend on what the blouse or top looks like that you wear them with. If you can find navy shoes-great. If not-consider a nice brown, as long as the styling was right. White shoes will give a nice nautical look, especially if the top or blazer or something you wear with the pants have some white detailing. If your blouse has a print to it, maybe a colorful pair of shoes that coordinate with the blouse.

learningtoliveagain
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I would wear Navy only if it matched or wear something that co-ordinated with the top I was wearing.

bargoo
04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Navy is a good choice, but so is red or white and bone could work , too.

Thighs Be Gone
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Oooh..I think I would have to bling the navy with a bright color these days---red would look great--something hip....I would wear navy shoes if I was in a conservative environment...then wear a colorful top and scarf w/it..

Susan B is an absolute doll but don't wear black with navy. :(

bargoo
04-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I would go with the red !

Macomom
04-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I am wearing a brown leather shoe with navy pants today. No one has laughed at me yet...
:)

harrismm
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I dont know guys........lots of black with navy in hollywood.

glitterducky
04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I think red would go best. The pop of color would really make the outfit stand out. I would pair navy pants with a printed top with a blue color pallet. It doens'th ave to match the neavy blue exactly, but it would go as long as it has a pallet of blue. Top it off with a cute and fitted maybe tan or brown, maybe black kacjet and you're good to go.

Yeah, I watch "What not to wear" on TLC. :)

Athenawithheart
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Too confusing for me -- I'm definitely going to have to start paying more attention to fashion now that I've lost weight.

walking2lose
04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Wow. Lots of responses. Well the pants actually have a broad pin stripe pattern. I am probably going to be semi boring and wear them with a nice white blouse I have. I do have red patent flats that would be super cute with them, however, the pants have a little length, so I need a bit of a heel. For right now, that leaves my brown or black pumps. I'm thinking I'll go with the brown.

I think this is why I usually stick with gray, black, and brown pants - easier to pick shoes for!

Thanks for all the responses.

srmb60
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Thighs be gone ... you're funny :hug:.

Just a funny little story ... when we were in highschool blue and brown were definite no-no's. A couple of years ago my friend wrecked her navy shoes and asked a store clerk about replacing them. The clerk told her brown. The look on Deb's face was hilarious! Maybe they are wearing brown with blue but I'm not!"
I should ask her if she ever did get a brown pair.

walking2lose
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I probably need to find some navy shoes, but I never see any when I go out.

JulieJ08
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I think black will look fine with many outfits. Brown is probably the easiest choice. But I like colored shoes :) Any color will go with navy, especially with a white shirt. I almost always have dark red shoes and metallic shoes. My purses are usually colors too, and not matching. I love mixing colors. I think neutrals are a bit overrated :) Then again, I am wearing gray pants today with black sandals and a magenta top. Neutrals there, but then my purse is a muted turquoise color.

walking2lose
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Julie - where do you find your shoes? I have trouble finding colorful shoes. Maybe I should try online at Zappos or Shoes.com. Your outfit today sounds cute!

Thighs Be Gone
04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Thighs be gone ... you're funny :hug:.

Susan B---sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy! :hug:

Now, I am rethinking the black and navy thing. I never, ever paid attention to fashion when I was obese. So, the fashion thing isn't exactly my area of expertise. I am trying now though! And for that I gotta :carrot: DANCE!!!

JulieJ08
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Julie - where do you find your shoes? I have trouble finding colorful shoes. Maybe I should try online at Zappos or Shoes.com. Your outfit today sounds cute!

I've never ordered shoes online before. I have a hard time with fit, even when the overall size is correct. Plus, I lost about a 1/2 shoe size, so I have some trying on to do :) I get shoes wherever. The ones I'm wearing today are Dr. Scholls, a year or two old, from Walmart or Kmart :) My dark red sandals are from Kohls. I have beige ones too - I know, not a color, but still a bit different - they're skin tone and give a different look to an outfit. They're especially nice with my long beige/khaki trousers - gives a lovely long line.

Thighs Be Gone
04-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Okay, I am not trying to brag here but here goes.

I now have 32 pairs of shoes--cute ones--high end ones! I LOOOVE shoes. I have orange, pink, turquoise, green, you name it. But I do not have navy ones. Of course most of your know that I am a HUGE thrift store shopper. Luckily one of our local shoe stores went out of business. All the shoes were donated and were $6.99 a pair! LOL. I bought over 20 pairs!

angelmom313
04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Some cute little silver flats would be great.

I agree though, the red would be great, especially if you have a little red scarf or purse to match.

srmb60
04-08-2009, 12:34 AM
OOOOoooooo I want to go to Thighs house! I really like shoes!