Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #1  
Liane

S/C/G: 201/190/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Seriously...

Hello all *waves*. DH and I just got back fom Lutsen Mtns for our anniversary. I weighed myself this morning and I GAINED 4 pounds on this trip. I ate really good too...considering we were on vacation. One night I had steak and cheese cake...other than that I ate salads, chicken...even oatmeal for breakfast. We skied ever day for ^&%$ sake. AND I even worked out before skiing the first day (which I totally paid for later). This is so incredibly frusterating! How in the heck could I gain 4 pouinds in 4 days?????
leenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Hello Leenoodle,
Unless you ate an additional 14000 calories, then you did not gain 4lbs in 4 days.
Probably, the skiing is causing your body to retain some water, you may have changed your sleep patterns, my physican also says cold weather can induce some weight fluctuations.
The scale and I have a love hate relationship for this reason. It really is just a number and as frustrating as your weight is reading on the scale, it will change shortly and the numbers will go down.
Try not to take it to heart
-joanne
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #3  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Aww, that sucks. And it's really frustrating! Maybe once your body gets back on track with your regular schedule, the loss will catch up? I dunno, sounds good to me.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #4  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Don't sweat it. Just get back on track, and those 4 pounds will be gone in no time!
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #5  
Liane

S/C/G: 201/190/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
Hello Leenoodle,
Unless you ate an additional 14000 calories, then you did not gain 4lbs in 4 days.
Probably, the skiing is causing your body to retain some water, you may have changed your sleep patterns, my physican also says cold weather can induce some weight fluctuations.
The scale and I have a love hate relationship for this reason. It really is just a number and as frustrating as your weight is reading on the scale, it will change shortly and the numbers will go down.
Try not to take it to heart
-joanne
WOW...that is very interesting! Thank you SO much...that made me feel better!
leenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

The scale is such a jerk.. like you just want it to be kind and gentle with the results, instead it totally over reacts.. I was hoping to drop into the 193s today.. so when I weighed myself this morning and it was 194 before a BM I was like great.. after I go it will go down.. can you believe it went UP by half a pound!! I was so pissed off.. I had a fight with my husband when he started defending the scale after I called it stupid.. it seemed like scientifically impossible to me to gain and yet I did.

Anyways, the scale is an evil necessity.. use results with discretion.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

it's possible you ate more than you realized?
even chicken salads can have hidden calories in the dressing or toppings.

i know it's discouraging though. I go through that alot

it's probably mostly water weight and you'll return to your post vacation weight in a day or two.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #8  
Less chow for more wow!

I always weigh more when I go away - its like my body tries to compensate for being off its regular routine and thinks I'm going to starve or something. My fingers swell and everything. It's weird.

Agree with Macomom - don't sweat it - its probably temporary.
BoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #9  
rainy

I wouldn't worry, just stay on track, keep exercizing, and those 4 pounds may go just because of water retention, increased muscle mass or whatever...keep going...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #10  

I feel your pain! My scale has been REALLY weird the last week. Way up then way down. It got wet in a bathroom mini-flood and didn't work for a day. I was all traumatized thinking I would have to get another one (and no 2 scales will weigh you the same) and then the scale came back to life. The problem is that it is now weighing me 3 lbs. HIGHER than it did 24 hours ago. I know for a fact I haven't eaten like crap in the last 24 hours.

I'm frustrated too as I'm so close to my next goal but it seems even further from my grasp now. I'm not going to give up though. I've learned so far that just as it can have a seemingly sudden, unexplained gain it can also do the reverse. Just keep doing what you are doing and I'll bet within the next week you'll see it drop back down close to where you were before.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote