Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Default Question for the Runners!

Question: When running do you notice one leg in a little more pain than the other or working harder or something. This happens to me a lot but I just sort of push through. Is this a normal thing?
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #2  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

sometimes but i attribute it to the fact that i have to wear a brace on my left ankle and i havent quite mastered getting my shoes tied tight enough but not too tight. they hurt sometimes
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

cakebatter, I haven't experienced it but if you are right handed it may be that your left side isn't quite as strong as the right...or vice/versa...you may also just have a little pinch nerve or something..if you are having serious enough pains, maybe see your physician
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #4  

Okay one more question. Can I build up my endurance by walking my inital 2 miles ( i can do 2 miles now or a little more) and then walk a lap and then run another mile and then walk a lap and repeat until I get to 5 or 6 miles? Hopefully I can cut out the laps inbetween....
Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I notice this sometimes. My left leg is a little weaker than my right so when I get tired my left feels it first. Keep in mind too that if you run the same route/track/side of the street it's a good idea to reverse directions sometimes to keep one side from getting imbalanced and to mix up any hills, etc.

Re: walk/run intervals, they're a great tool. Did you mean gradually working up to 5-6 miles, or adding them in right away with walking? Jumping from 2 miles to 5-6 sounds really quick to me. You don't want to go too fast and injure yourself, and keep in mind that the walking might not seem hard but that's an extra hour or so on your feet depending on your speed, and that adds up. How often do you run a week? When I first started I increased my runs from 3 to 4 times a week, and then I started adding in miles a quarter mile to half a mile at a time while adding in walking breaks if I needed them, just enough to recover. So, say I was going to run 3 miles that day. I'd warm up then run .5, walk for 3-5 min, and repeat until done. Shorter walks helped me get my heart-rate under control but didn't add too much time spent on my feet. After I got to 4 miles I cut out the walks and just started slowly adding in miles here and there.

I also went from Couch to 5K to OneHourRunner to Hal Higdon's Spring Training for Novices. Those are all great beginner's running programs for adding distance safely.

Anyway, sorry if all of that was confusing. The main thing is to be consistent, and you'll improve. Running is awesome
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

have you tried the C25k program? its couch to 5k in 9 weeks. basically you start out walking 5 mins, run a min walk 90sec and so on for 20 mins until you build up yuor endurance to run a 5k. there is even music (look up dj beatsmith) that beeps when you are supposed to start running and walking. its pretty awesome!! theres a thread here for it
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

I think it's totally normal, since no one is perfectly symmetrical. I've noticed this time around (I've been a runner on and off for a few years, mostly off) that sometimes my left knee aches a little and my right doesn't, and sometimes my right shin hurts and my left doesn't.

Like people have already said, intervals are a great way to build running endurance! I always listen to music while running, so a few weeks ago when I re-started, I would run for one song, walk for 2, run for 1, walk for 2... on and on for 30 minutes or so. sure, all songs are different lengths, but I figured it all averaged out, and I didn't have to wear a watch! I worked up to walking 1 and running 1, then walking 1 and running 2... now I'm at a point where I just run most of the time and take little walking breaks when I really need to. I realize I advanced kinda fast in just a few weeks, but I just figure my body never completely forgot how to run efficiently.

Last edited by mayness; 04-04-2009 at 09:10 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #8  

Joyful - I think I will just do what u suggested about adding a half mile every couple weeks.

I don't want c25k its a bit too slow for me. I tried it but I was bored. I can already 2-1/2 miles all at once and I would like I was going backwards

Mayness - I see what u mean about not being symmetrical.

Thanks for the tips ladies. On my way to the gym, ill let u know how far I make it.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

What hurts me when i run is my sides :-(

And of course my asthma gets in the way at times.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #10  

Hey girls,

I joined the What's Up Doc 5k another thread. You are supposed to run a 5K on Easter but I can't because I have plans. SO......I ran mine today. I ran the WHOLE 3.2 Miles in 40:40 Hells Yeah! I basically jsut slowed my a pace and was able to run longer
Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

cakebatter, I didn't do any prescribed program I found on the net--although I have heard wonderful things about C25K...I ran as far as I could--which was maybe 1/10 of a mile and then I walked until I caught my breath and then ran again--slowly building..before that I was just a brisk walker..

running is great and @ the right price--I am so happy for you that you are doing this!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #12  

Thank you Thighs be GOne! I love running. It makes me feel good.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200 (162.5)/ticker/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

CakeBatter-
Congrats on the 3.2! I started running 5 years ago by running 1 lap around a track and then walking the next. Eventually I found I didn't need to walk nearly as much.

As for the leg, I have pain in one knee and not the other every so often. I think that's not completely abnormal!

I have a question: Does running make anyone sick in their stomachs??? I do a long run once a week (somewhere btwn. 8-12 miles) and sometimes after that my stomach feels sick and crampy for awhile. Maybe I'm dehydrated, I don't know. I just took some Immodium, hope that helps!

Last edited by ahope2277; 04-05-2009 at 08:12 PM.
ahope2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #14  

ahope - I did find the day I ran 2 miles walked a lap and then ran 1-1/2 miles that I was a bit queasy. And also yesterday running the 5K nearing the end I was feeling a little funny. I just thought it was because I was working so hard!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

CakeBatter, YOU are awesome girl. Congrats on your 5k I can already sense the addiction to running building up in you

ahope2277, do you eat any gels/beans while running, and do you bring water with you or have it available? I never used to, but now that the weather's warmer I get sick if I don't hydrate right from the start of my long runs, before I feel thirsty. Dieting while running can be tough, too. It's hard to maintain a calorie deficit and make sure you're properly fueled. I get sick sometimes, but it's usually in the middle of a long run and diet related (I ate too much before, didn't eat enough that day, etc.)

Or, it can be a sign that you're going too fast. I'd check to make sure your heartrate/breathing isn't too high, then if that's fine I'd hydrate and check what and when you're eating around your runs.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote