Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Mummy's Brown Soda Bread

When DH and I visited Ireland, we found this brown soda bread served in every county at every meal. It's divine and very SBD-safe. Of course, it tastes best with Irish butter on it...but that would send us to an early heart attack, so try it with Smart Balance (or another trans-fat-free margarine), instead. We had this with a hearty bean and green soup from Cooking Light and it made for a delicious meal. My notes are in brackets in red.

Quote:
Mummy's Brown Soda Bread

"My mother, Elizabeth O'Connell, now 82, still makes this soda bread every day," says Allen. Scoring a deep cross into the surface of the dough is called "blessing the bread." Because the bread uses baking soda as a leavener, it requires minimal kneading and no rising, so you can bake it just before supper and serve it warm.

2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces) [I used Whole Wheat Pastry or White Whole Wheat flour]
2 cups whole wheat flour (about 9 1/2 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk [I used 1% fat buttermilk...not sure if that changes the nut'l info...]
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450°.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Add buttermilk to flour mixture; stir until blended (dough will be sticky). Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times. Shape dough into an 8-inch round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut a 1/4-inch-deep X in the top of the dough.

Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400° (do not remove bread from oven); bake 15 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 1 loaf, 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

CALORIES 169 (10% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 0.9g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.2g); IRON 1.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 10mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.4g; SODIUM 355mg; PROTEIN 6.2g; FIBER 3g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2007
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #2  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

THank you, this sounds awesome!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286.5/286.0/160?

Height: 5'10

Thanks for the recipe - my mom is from Ireland and I LOVE their brown bread!
losingnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

After going to Ireland 10 yrs ago I tried desperately to find the bread when I came back and was never able to. I also tried making it 3 times but it was never the same. I'm certainly going to try this one!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

That's the easiest sounding Brown bread recipe I've Found I make a white Version But Might have to get down with my healthy self
i usually just sound 1% milk with Lemon Juice tho!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #6  
I can do this!

KO, I find that this stuff is quite different from our "American soda bread," but both I and DH think this recipe tasted very, very similar to the bread we had everywhere in Ireland. 1% milk with lemon juice should work fine. What amount of each would you use to sub for 2 cups buttermilk?

I was also thrilled that the recipe was so easy!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Actually My recipe is the same except it calls for All AP flour I use a tablespoon or so Per cup
and I add Raisins for my Mom
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #8  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote