General chatter - What are you reading-April 2009

View Full Version : What are you reading-April 2009

Smiling_Sara
04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Another month is here ladies!

Let us all know what you are reading. I started Multiple Blessings last night from Kate Gossling ( from the show Jon and Kate plus 8 )

alinnell
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars (http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Falling-Cedars-David-Guterson/dp/B0015EJW86/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238601187&sr=8-31) and as soon as I'm done with that, I'll start Long Lost (http://www.amazon.com/Long-Lost-Harlan-Coben/dp/0525951059/ref=br_lf_m_1000357571_1_1_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=books&pf_rd_p=473000671&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000357571&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TWB4JY39BZ5Z106EM5Q).

dutchgirl
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Just finished "Labyrinth" by Kate Moss. I thoought it was an ok. read, but not a great one.
Started "Friday nights" By Joanne Trollope. Like it fine so far.

Glory87
04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I am reading Food Matters by Mark Bittman. It just makes me furious to see what special interests groups have done to the American public. I always liked to think we live in a civilized society, but after the "financial experts" were caught pillaging and looting, it should be no surprise that special interest groups have manipulated nutritional info to the detriment of the American people.

FrouFrou
04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Trying to get thru the Time Traveler's Wife...it's not bad, just everytime I start to read more I get sleepy, lol.

LisaMarie71
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm reading Peony in Love by Lisa See. See also wrote Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which I enjoyed. Peony was harder to get into at first and the story is definitely told from an unconventional narrator, but I'm digging it now. It won't be one of my favorites, however, I think. I'm planning a library trip tomorrow.

Still waiting for more Goodreads friends -- come on, it's fun!

PearFreak
04-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I am reading 24-Karat Kids at the moment. So far so good. Chick Lit, of course. But not too heavy on the usual CL topics.

I have Multiple Blessings in my to read list. Let me know how you like it, BornToFly

Glory87
04-02-2009, 01:10 AM
I liked Snow Flower better than Peony.

I finished Food Matters (http://www.amazon.com/Food-Matters-Conscious-Eating-Recipes/dp/1416575642) which was awesome, if the subject wasn't a little infurating. I will probably buy this book when it comes out in paperbook. I'm continuing on my non fiction roll with Outliers. (http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Success-Malcolm-Gladwell/dp/0316017922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238648979&sr=1-1). I am enjoying it just as much as Tipping Point and Blink. Another one I will probably buy at some point.

icandoallthings6613
04-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I just started The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch, and I've been reading Tether's End by one of my favorite British mystery writers, Margery Allingham.

neon_zephyr
04-02-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm reading a chapbook of prose-poems called "Walter B.'s Extraordinary Cousin Arrives for a Visit & Other Tales" by a person named Sarah Orah Mark. It's published by Woodland Editions. Has anyone else read this one?

The book itself if a lovely object. I think it was letter-pressed, it has beautiful end-papers, and gorgeous creamy pages. It's incredibly well-designed and that, alone, caught my attention at first.

The poems in it are strange and evocative. Some of them are heartbreakingly bold, and others feel a bit like a puzzle. I tend to spend a long time reading books of poetry and chapbooks are especially meant to be savored, I think.

By the way, it's National Poetry Month.

K8-EEE
04-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Even at my ever-advancing middle age I'm a sucker for coming of age stories, and I loved this one I happened on at the library, called Stealing Heaven

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Heaven-Elizabeth-Scott/dp/0061122807

Super quick and compelling read if you happen to see it. I also have a soft spot for the celeb biog, loved Val B's, and Carrie Fisher's too!

neon_zephyr
04-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Trying to get thru the Time Traveler's Wife...it's not bad, just everytime I start to read more I get sleepy, lol.

I liked "The Time Traveler's Wife". I heard that Audrey Niffenegger's second novel ("Her Fearful Symmetry") will be released soon.

Incidentally, She has the coolest webpage I've ever seen.

Glory87
04-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I've been waiting for her follow up book so long, I hope it can live up to my expectations. I don't want her to Donna Tartt me! (loved Secret History, thought Little Friend was junk).

Smiling_Sara
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
About to start Dearly Devoted Dexter. Love the series so I thought I'd give the books a try too!

sws19
04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
i just finished unaccustomed earth by jhumpa lahiri. i highly recommend it.
this week i started the mayor's tongue by nathaniel rich.

alinnell
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
My son just gave me all of the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum books. I think that will keep me busy for a few weeks!

kittycat40
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

A book to read a second time. Great for book clubs too :)

sws19
04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
i read the junot diaz last summer. soooo good! i highly recommend it.

alinnell
04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

A book to read a second time. Great for book clubs too :)

I've seen this around a lot. It looks good. Can you tell me more about it? Thanks!

Glory87
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
About to start Dearly Devoted Dexter. Love the series so I thought I'd give the books a try too!

Did you start with the first one? I liked the first 2 (I'm also a huge fan of the show) and thought the last one was horribly, laughably awful. Sure hope the TV show doesn't go in that direction (but it doesn't look like they are).

Truevibes
04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
SO glad you all have this thread!

:book2:

I personally love murder mysteries! Anything by James Patterson is my mental Ice Cream! However I am currently reading "Mr.Perfect" by Linda Howard!

icandoallthings6613
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
i just finished unaccustomed earth by jhumpa lahiri. i highly recommend it.

I love Jhumpa Lahiri! Have you read her short story collection Interpreter of Maladies? One of my favorites.

Clydegirl
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I just started "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb.

mandalinn82
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Currently in rotation:

Losing It: America's obsession with weight and the industry that feeds on it.

Food, Inc: The promises and perils of the biotech harvest.

newleaf123
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm reading:

The Wettest County in the World: A novel based on a true story by Matt Bondurant

Out of Mao's Shadow: The Struggle for the Soul of a new China by Philip Pan

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife but found that you had to make the mental choice to just let the pace wash over you and take you away. And I really enjoyed a different Jhumpa Lahiri (sp?) book The Namesake. I've been wondering about her new book and am glad to read that people have been enjoying it! I'll have to check it out.

Smiling_Sara
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Did you start with the first one? I liked the first 2 (I'm also a huge fan of the show) and thought the last one was horribly, laughably awful. Sure hope the TV show doesn't go in that direction (but it doesn't look like they are).

yep, I did read the first one. I liked the show better though, I think. But I'm a huge fan of Michael Hall. I don't have showtime tho, so I always have to wait till it comes out to DVD.

sws19
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I love Jhumpa Lahiri! Have you read her short story collection Interpreter of Maladies? One of my favorites.
is that the one she won the pulitzer for? i think i'll try and borrow it from a friend. she lives pretty near me, so it's kinda cool reading her stuff.

ANOther
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Crossed Bones by Carolyn Haines

icandoallthings6613
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
is that the one she won the pulitzer for? i think i'll try and borrow it from a friend. she lives pretty near me, so it's kinda cool reading her stuff.

Yes, Interpreter of Maladies won the Pulitzer! It's a good read...especially if you like short stories. They fit into my schedule more easily than novels often.

kittycat40
04-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I've seen this around a lot. It looks good. Can you tell me more about it? Thanks!

It is about The Dominican American experience as impacted by Trujillo, a dictator that the US helped put into power. The characters are wonderful and have great depth. The writing is terse, somewhat explicit and powerful, and the story unfolds through an artist's hand.

check it out! (and, no, I do not stand to financially gain from this pitch ;))

alinnell
04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks kittycat40!

Glory87
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I just finished Secrets of a Shoe Addict (http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Shoe-Addict-Beth-Harbison/dp/0312348274/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239202223&sr=8-1). It was okay, pretty light and fluffy and apparently a sequel. The author can write some funny dialogue so I might check out her other stuff.

Spoilers below
Well, I say it's light and fluffy until I realized the book had: male prostitution, blackmail, felons, phone sex operators and cheating husbands. So, it was light and fluffy with that stuff.

sws19
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM

i will check it out after i finish the book i just started. that would def be good for the subway.

have you read any susan choi?

midwife
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Just read City of Thieves. Has anyone else read it?

PearFreak
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Glory, I read Secrets of a Shoe Addict a few weeks back. It wasn't all that bad. But yes, I must agree with you on your Spoiler.

I just finished Mommy Tracked by Whitney Gaskell. She has a few others, but am not sure what one's I may pick up next. It was a pretty good read. Lots of characters to keep under wraps. A chapter dedicated to each character. All in all I liked it.

Off to add some chick lit books to my library cache.

angelmom313
04-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud and John Townsend

NOTE: *Lord knows I have boundary issues!*

Next, I am reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven

alinnell
04-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I finished Snow Falling on Cedars and will start the new Harlan Coben today.

PearFreak
04-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Just finished Gucci Gucci Coo. It was a good read, I'll admit. The author (Sue Margolis) has a few other books, I may add to my library cache.
We are heading out to B&N in a bit, off to look for a few other MUST ADD TO MY COLLECTION reads. Hoping to find some Emily Giffin books on clearance there. Doubtful though. If not I'll ask my parents to get me them for my birthday.

ZedAus
04-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I have been reading Sue Grafton books for a while, and just finished J is for Judgment, but decided to have a change. I am trying to read A Body to Die For by Kate White, but I have a feeling that I may just need a break from this genre for a while.

I bought Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett while we were in the US, and now that I have two weeks' vacation I may try to get that read. I am so tired after a day at school, with keeping kids focussed all day, that I just don't have the mental energy to face anything too deep and thought-provoking in the evenings.

I am SO envious of the price you pay for books in the US. We pay close to double over here, if not more. We bought quite a few books while we were over there. Some because we couldn't get them over here, and others because it was simply cheaper, even with the postage to get them home.

Glory87
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey Zelma - I hope you like Pillars! It's one of my top 10 books of all time. Years later, he actually wrote a "sequel" (with different characters, in a different time period). If you like Pillars, you can check out World Without End - it's nearly EXACTLY like it (in a good way and a bad way - good, well, it's more of the same; bad, hello lazy writing)

aprilcp12344
04-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm reading Brian Keene... He's a very graphic horror novelist. Not for the faint of heart. Hehe.

icandoallthings6613
04-10-2009, 05:57 PM
i will check it out after i finish the book i just started. that would def be good for the subway.

have you read any susan choi?

I don't think so...but the name seems familiar. What has she written? Did she work/write for The New Yorker?

Buttercup
04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud and John Townsend

NOTE: *Lord knows I have boundary issues!*

Next, I am reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven

:angel:I LOVED "The Five People You Meet In Heaven"! I am currently reading everything by Nevad Barr. She is a mysterie writer who centers her stories around a female National Park Service ranger. They are really good! I have a long list from all the ideas everyone is giving me! I love to read while walking on the treadmill!

lizziep
04-12-2009, 01:17 AM
i've been struggling through the Roger Zelazney Amber series for a while- I have two books to go but I'm going to take a break. Just borrowed World War Z: an oral history of the zombie war by Max Brooks. We'll see how far I get into it- not my usual type of book but it is a bestseller and a lot of people i know keep raving about it.

Glory87
04-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I loved World War Z - but I love zombies, so I am biased. Supposedly, they are making it into a movie.

alinnell
04-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm about half way through Harlen Coben's Long Lost (his newest) and I swear--I've read the book before (or I've seen the movie). Seriously, the plot is so familiar! So strange.

kittycat40
04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm about half way through Harlen Coben's Long Lost (his newest) and I swear--I've read the book before (or I've seen the movie). Seriously, the plot is so familiar! So strange.

His books are set in towns right next to mine. I always get such a kick when I read his stuff.

alinnell
04-13-2009, 05:19 PM
His books are set in towns right next to mine. I always get such a kick when I read his stuff.

I've loved every book of his. I couldn't wait for this one--which is turning out to be a fast read like most of his. I often can read these (if on vacation) within a 6 hour period! I just wish I knew why this story seems so familiar.

alinnell
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Okay, I finished Long Lost last night and am happy to say it was as exciting as it should have been. It certainly had an interesting and thought provoking twist (which I won't mention as it would be a spoiler).

Now I will start Janet Evanovich's Visions of Sugar Plums. My DS said it is really scary. It looks like a book I can finish in a couple of hours (very short--185 pages paperback).

PearFreak
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Just finished Good Luck from Whitney Gaskell. A very good read. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if I would, but decided to give it a try and in the end really did.

LisaMarie71
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm just catching up on the thread -- you guys are reading some good stuff! I like Jhumpa Lahiri but I haven't read Unaccustomed Earth yet. I like Janet Evanovich for fluffy easy reading, which is all I seem to be able to do lately, so I'm looking forward to her next Stephanie Plum book. I've never read the extra ones, though, because I've heard they're no good. True?

I finished Peony in Love by Lisa See and pretty much hated it, struggled through it and wanted it to end. Then I reread Twilight (like a 14-year-old) because I saw the movie and it made me want to live in that silly world again for a while. Now I'm rereading New Moon. Ha!

I borrowed The Story of Edgar Sawtelle from my mom, who hasn't read it. Anyone like that one?

I'm going to have to try some Harlan Coben.

Oh, and someone mentioned zombies. I love me some zombies. I can't WAIT for that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book! It's probably out already but I'll have to get it at the library because I'm so broke.

Glory87
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I hated Edgar Sawtelle, and it was very disappointing because the beginning of the book was fabulous and the author writes really beautiful prose. The ending was...well, I haven't been that mad at the end of a book since Hannibal.

I am reading Friday Night Knitting Club (http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Night-Knitting-Club/dp/0425219097/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239892349&sr=8-1) and it's okay, doesn't really grab me, so I keep putting it down.

I'm headed to TX tomorrow for my stepfather's memorial, and I'm taking the following:

Life Sentences (http://www.amazon.com/Life-Sentences-Novel-Laura-Lippman/dp/0061128899/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239892635&sr=1-1)

Beat the Reaper (http://www.amazon.com/Beat-Reaper-Novel-Josh-Bazell/dp/0316032220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239892661&sr=1-1)

Bright Side of Disaster (http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Side-Disaster-Novel/dp/0345497961/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239892694&sr=1-1)

Little Giant of Aberdeen County (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Aberdeen-County/dp/0446194204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239892739&sr=1-1)

Lost City of Z (http://www.amazon.com/Lost-City-Deadly-Obsession-Amazon/dp/0385513534/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239892776&sr=1-1)

I can't wait for PRide & Prejudice and Zombies, I have it on request at the library!

ANOther
04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I finished Crossed Bones but it didn't really grab me. Now starting a Cold War-era golden oldie: The Mouse that Roared. ETA 04.18: on deck The Codex by Douglas Preston

PearFreak
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey where are all my Chick Lit readers?? Am I the only one? Lets dish about some good chick lit.... can we please.

Buttercup
04-17-2009, 11:06 PM
I am current reading "Never Give Up" by Joyce Meyer and it is very inspirational! Just what I needed to continue my journey with confidence! :book2:

Crazy4Kenny
04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I am getting ready to start Eclipse. (3rd Twilight book)

Glory87
04-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey where are all my Chick Lit readers?? Am I the only one? Lets dish about some good chick lit.... can we please.

Hee, I just finished Friday Night Knitting Club - does it get more chick lit than that??

alinnell
04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Finished Janet Evanovich's Visions of Sugar Plums. Rather stupid if you ask me. I don't know if I'll read the others that DS gave me to read. They're just not my type of detective novels.

So, I have a bunch of things on my kindle that I'll have to choose from.

Buttercup
04-18-2009, 07:29 PM
[/I][/COLOR]I am getting ready to start Eclipse. (3rd Twilight book)

I LOVED,LOVED,LOVED the Twilight series!;)

Buttercup
04-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Hee, I just finished Friday Night Knitting Club - does it get more chick lit than that??

I also injoyed the Friday Night Knitting Club! Very heartwarming!

PearFreak
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Alrighty then... here is a Chick Lit lover. :D I haven't read those yet. I kept meaning to put them on my list to read, but some how they kept getting shoved down it. I am now going to make it re-appear ontop. Aren't there a few in that series? I thought there were?
How'd you like it? Was it a good storyline, how were the characters? Any hints or slips you care to share. I don't mind. I am the kinda gal who reads a couple paragraphs at the end of the books, just to get a sneak peak. ;)

Glory87
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
In this case, I would advise NOT reading ahead. I got spoiled for the ending on amazon.com and I really wish I had let the story unfold - instead of knowing what would happen.

There are two books so far - Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two, I've only read the first one (and she wrote an unrelated book - Comfort Food which I also enjoyed). My only real complaint was how AWESOME the main character is - she's pretty saintly. It was a quick read, I enjoyed the characters (saintly as they were). I would definitely recommend at least checking it out of the library, if you are a fan of chick lit in general.

LisaMarie71
04-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Allison - the Stephanie Plum books are quite mindless -- I like them but they can be annoying. FWIW, I've heard the extra ones (not in the numbered series) are unbearably dumb, and I heard that from a major fan. I haven't read those.

I forgot to mention earlier that I also read the 8th in the Sookie Stackhouse series over spring break. I liked it more than the few before it.

Now I'm reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It's pretty good, and it's educating me about a historical event I'd never heard of! Sad, though.

Smiling_Sara
04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Glory, Let me know what you thought of The Bright Side of Disaster. I read that last month, and enjoyed it...it was a pretty quick read too.

Smiling_Sara
04-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure what drew me to this book, but I picked it up at Half Price Books for $6.50 It's called How to Sleep Alone in a King Size Bed by Theo Pauline Nestor. It's about a women going through a divorce. I'm about 75% through it and while I enjoy how she writes, it is a sad tale of what happens with the process of divorce. I've never experienced it myself or within my immediate family, and I must say, I've come to realize it's much harder than I ever thought it would be from reading this book...

alinnell
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Lisa--now I know I'm not alone with my view of Stephanie Plum. I started another between the numbers book yesterday and got one chapter done and I don't think I'll go on. Instead, I'm going to download Dog On It (http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Bernie-Mystery-Spencer-Quinn/dp/1416585834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240242049&sr=8-1) by Spencer Quinn. I read the first chapter and liked it--reminds me of The Art of Racing in the Rain (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Racing-Rain-Novel/dp/0061537969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240242143&sr=1-1) which I enjoyed a lot. Both books are from the point of view of a dog.

LisaMarie71
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree that the protagonist in Friday Night Knitting Club was a little too saintly! I liked the book anyway and plan to eventually read Knit Two.

I finished Sarah's Key and really liked it. Now I'm reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, though I do worry that I'll hate the end, since everyone seems to! It will probably take me a while to get through it. My 8 1/2 month old son is getting much more mobile now, so I'll soon be spending most of my time chasing after him while he crawls. Now he just sort of scoots around!

alinnell
04-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I finished Sarah's Key and really liked it. Now I'm reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, though I do worry that I'll hate the end, since everyone seems to! It will probably take me a while to get through it. My 8 1/2 month old son is getting much more mobile now, so I'll soon be spending most of my time chasing after him while he crawls. Now he just sort of scoots around!

Lisa~it is a good book. Until the last chapter. IMO? The author just needed something to end with and he certainly didn't choose right!

Bumbleberry
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I just finished Sense and Sensibility, then later on in the month, The Shack (interesting, for sure -- many good insights). Will soon start Read my Heart.

alinnell
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Sense and Sensibility is on my list. I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Bumbleberry
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I read it about every four years or so -- I want to forget the story as much as I can (aside from general plot, of course) before I read it again. I still have another six months to a year before I can read Pride and Prejudice again. And I'm "Emma-d out" for a long while.

LisaMarie71
04-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Oh, I haven't reread any Austen in a while! I think it might be time. But my favorites are Persuasion and Mansfield Park.

PearFreak
04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Glory. I am going to add them to my book list. I'll let you know when I read it.

BornToFly... I am going to add How To Sleep Alone In A King Sized Bed to my list too. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the heads up.

DianaG
04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
You all have some great book ideas for me. I am always looking for something new to read.

I just finished Jim Butcher's Turn Coat and loved every minute of it. I ordered the new Amanda Quick (pure brain candy) Secret Poison from the library, but I am 14th in line. It might be awhile before I can read it.

In the meantime I started a fantasy/horror novel The Good the Bad and the Undead[I] to keep me busy.

After all the mention of Austen I may just have to read one of her novels again. I just love her wit.

I am curious about the [I]Friday Night Knitting Club, now I will have to see if the library has it. You all will definitely keep me busy with summertime reading.:)

canadianangel
04-22-2009, 05:00 PM
i am currently reading Angels and demons, trying to get it read before the movie comes out. Im also readeing the twilight serious

alinnell
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
i am currently reading Angels and demons, trying to get it read before the movie comes out. Im also readeing the twilight serious

My daughter just re-read this for the same reason. And then she got his earlier books and loved them as well. Now she has the Da Vinici code followup on pre-order.

starfishkitty
04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedes Lackey.

I <3 fantasy... hehe

Glory87
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
I was so busy on my trip, I only managed to finish two books (I read mostly during the travel time). I finished Life Sentences and The Lost City of Z and they were both fabulous.

Vates
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
i am reading beloved by toni morrison it is amazing!

Smiling_Sara
04-24-2009, 08:46 AM
started reading Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner. So far, I like it a lot.

melwolfe
04-24-2009, 09:34 AM
The Amanda Quick is okay if you've read the other Arcane novels, Twilight series was GREAT!!! I loved those books! Right this minute I'm reading Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark, so far it's pretty good, not as good as some of her other books, but not bad.

I have much too much on my Kindle to know what I'll pick next, but should finish this one by tomorrow evening.

greengrass
04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I just finished reading Manners by Kate Spade. It was a cute little book. I got it at the library. I didn't know she had any books out.

dutchgirl
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM
i am reading beloved by toni morrison it is amazing!

Such a good book! if you liked that, try Song of Solomon. Must get that out and put it on my re-read stack.

Glory87
04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
I finished Beat the Reaper (http://www.amazon.com/Beat-Reaper-Novel-Josh-Bazell/dp/0316032220/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240602049&sr=8-1) and absolutely loved it. It is a wonderful cross between Goodfellas and ER. Very very over the top and bloody (some squeamish details about medical procedures - particularly at the end), but I couldn't put it down - really great funny lines too! I hope he writes a sequel. I'm such a sucker for an amusing footnote!

Glory87
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Glory, Let me know what you thought of The Bright Side of Disaster. I read that last month, and enjoyed it...it was a pretty quick read too.

Hey - I liked it okay. I wasn't a huge fan of the deux ex machina ending.

spoiler
Knocked up, abandoned by your boyfriend, supported by his parents and then by a HUGE check from your surgeon dad - did not strike me as terribly realistic. I guess the author needed a reason why the woman didn't have to work and could actually spend all that time with her newborn, just seemed....so....cheesey (I make a pretty good living and there's no way I could afford to sit home for a year!). And the perfect former doctor neighbor who loves to restore houses, is handsome and good with children!!!! I like a happy ending, but sheesh - I'm surprised the guy wasn't a prince or oil baron or something
spoiler

PearFreak
04-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got Dress Rehearsal by Jennifer O'Connell. Going to dive into it after I finish up another book. Only a few more chapters left...

Anyone ever hear of or read Dress Rehearsal?

queenofthehouse
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I just finished Jodi Picoult's new one, Handle With Care. Very good as usual, ending not so great, as usual.

Smiling_Sara
04-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Following up with Certain Girls, the next book after Good In Bed.

caitybates
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
i just finished captain correlli's mandolin and it was really excellent. i had never heard if it, i just found it lying around the house and i absolutely loved it and i am not usually so much into romance novels. but this book was so funny and interesting also. a very different perspective of wwII for sure! its completely from the greek perspective which i can definitely say i knew practically nothing about.

now im reading the god delusion by richard dawkins. some compelling arguments but i already consider myself an atheist and the book IS geared toward conversion so sometimes its a little boring and also there is a supposition you've read everything else he has written. but its great for really getting a handle on the arguments out there for not believing in god.

alinnell
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I finished Dog On It (http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Bernie-Mystery-Spencer-Quinn/dp/1416585834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240846134&sr=8-1) which was a cute, light read. My DD and I went to the bookstore so I could pick up a book on learning Italian and she found the 'buy 2 get 1 free' table and picked out three books. She showed them to me and one was Escape (http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Carolyn-Jessop/dp/0767927567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240846214&sr=1-1) by Carolyn Jessop. I mentioned that I was interested in reading it, so she left it for me when she went back for her last 4 weeks of school. Wow. I can't put this book down! I had to force myself to put it down and go to bed and now it's sitting on my desk at work--tempting me to read while I should be working!

DFrancis
04-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I am reading the monster of Florance. It is very scary and does not make the Tuscany region of Italy to be as appealing as shown in recent movies and television programs.

SweetScrumptious
04-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Bikram Yoga

written by Bikram himself

PearFreak
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I am reading Dress Rehearsal by Jennifer O'Connell. So far so good. The only thing is it is small print.Not the regualr print, super teeny tiny. I have good eyesight, but this I am sure is screwing with my eyes.

Anyways, here is the info on it.... Can a couple's choice of wedding cake predict the success of their marriage? Lauren Gallagher, owner of the chic cake boutique Lauren's Luscious Licks, is beginning to think so. Couples who argue over butter cream and marzipan seem destined to argue all the way to divorce court. Her faith in the theory is so unshakable that she pitches it to a book agent and convinces her best friend, Paige, to break up with her fiance. What was he thinking, requesting cupcakes for the reception? When her newly engaged ex-boyfriend waltzes into her shop and orders the very cake she's been saving for her own wedding, she wonders if he was really "the one" after all. This book takes on the common theme of searching for Mr. Right with a sweet twist and inept, funny, and sympathetic characters. Readers will definitely see some of themselves in Lauren and her friends. O'Connell, also the author of Bachelorette #1 (2003), delivers a fun addition to the chick-lit collection.

DCHound
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire, Deepak Chopra
HIGHLY recommend it!

craftykath
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm currently reading In the Hands of the Great Spirit: The 20,000 Year History of American Indians by Jake Page (I'm a little obsessed with American history, particularly colonial and American Indian). It's a pretty basic 400-something sweep of native history, but it's not a bad overview, and Page is an excellent writer. I'm also reading one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (Thief of Time)! If you enjoy both fantasy fiction and clever British humor, I really recommend Pratchett's Discworld series!