Weight and Resistance Training - No Foolin' Around APRIL!

View Full Version : No Foolin' Around APRIL!

Mel
04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Good Morning! The birds are chirping, the daffodils are blooming...and it's raining! Sounds like April to me :)

Cardio done, shoulders and PT exercises at lunch.

Cheryl- I promise that I WILL get to extracting your cross fit posts- life has really been crazy here. It may get better in a week or two. Unless something else happens :rofl:

Mel

jamsk8r
04-01-2009, 10:54 AM
LOL, Mel. I'm with you on that one. Something is ALWAYS happening, in my world. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

I've had breakfast, and I'm drinking the tea. Just letting my food settle before I go in for my butt kicking this morning. I was so worried about oversleeping, after sleeping right through my alarm yesterday morning, that I woke up at 5 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep (trying to get up at 6, but I guess it was close enough).

The scale moved down this week, finally got a new low: 176.4. That's only a little lower than my last low, but I'll take it, after hovering up near the 180 mark for the past 2 weeks. I think I've got the eating plan a little more balanced now, but time will tell. I'm upping the workouts, too, now that the baby CF class is over.

I've got a dog club meeting this Saturday, and everybody is chipping in for pizza. At first, I figured I'd use it as a cheat meal, but I'm finding that I really am not looking forward to eating pizza at all. I will still pitch in, but I think I'll pack my own food for the trip. Just thinking of eating the bread and the cheese is not appealing right now, so it's not worth the weight gain or the carb hangover. Now that keylime cheesecake at the Costco...that's another story! ;)

Tomato
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Cheryl, you are not looking forward to having pizza? I wish I could ever say that. LOL The keylime cheesecake sounds delish, too. I don't think I ever saw it at my Costco ... but truth be told, I do not dare to look at the cakes just in case I am not able to peel myself away. I did buy a mango/raspberry mouse cake last summer for my birthday ... hmmmm ... it was yummy. I saved myself by giving 3/4 of it away.

I am going to the gym in the evening but I don't know yet what I will be doing. The foot is complicating things and I so sore from my yesterday's two classes (my BUTT hurts!) .... I think I will do cardio on the elliptical and save legs for Thursday.
I have been thinking of doing some spinning as cardio, and yesterday, I asked the spinning instructor (the spinning class is just before the Pilates class) if I can join them , as a total beginner, on Saturday. Now I will have to go (well, that was the plan). I imagine I will be like Bridget Jones and my legs will collapse under me when I step off the bike.

Shannon in ATL
04-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi guys! I made it out of bed this morning to work out! Woo hoo! I did a lot of work on the ball, then some Weider and dumbell work. I tweaked something in my left shoulder and elbow, not sure how. I'm thinking it was from the lateral raise, but could have been something else and I didn't notice it until the lateral. I also feel a little twinge in the left knee - noticed it running Sunday but hadn't had any trouble since then. I'm wondering if my stance was a little of and I put too much pressure my left side in general... Hmm... Will see how I feel tomorrow. I really need to find a trainer I can go to for a few sessions without having to join a gym...

Mel - raining here again, too... I completely forgot it was April until I saw this thread title!

Cheryl - I feel you on not looking forward to pizza - DH has a friend coming over this weekend (unless he cancels again...) and they want pizza. They both seemed surprised when I said I would get something else and let them do the pizza thing! :)

Alena - spinning... I can't decide if I think it would be fun or not, it just looks evil to me... hope you enjoy though! :)

WaterRat
04-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Hmmm, pizza. My DH - aka Mr. Skinny - doesn't like pizza, so we don't have it out ever. He will eat my homemade, which is lots of veggies and lots less cheese. I eat it less and less, even out with GFs. I often order something else. I will eat a slice if we have an early city council meeting - they provide food when we do - if that's the choice. I like it better when they have make-it-yourself sandwiches. I can have a plate of meat, lettuce and tomato, or an open faced sandwich. The trick is to skip the chips and cookies....

Spring, what is that? We still have plenty of snow on the ground, and it was 10F this morning. But we have tons more daylight now about 13 hours 20 min! Yesterday was cool but bright and sunny.

My flight didn't go again last night, and since they couldn't rebook me til sometime this weekend, I've cancelled my vacation. I've already missed the major events (a 60th b'day and a show) that we were going for. At least DH got to be there. Speaking of which, he's due home tonight, and he just called. His plane out of Boston was delayed for maintenance, then cancelled. Delta has managed to rebook him so he'll make his connection in Salt Lake. Just :crossed: that planes will fly into Anchorage tonight.

Mel
04-02-2009, 08:35 AM
There was a huge pizza lunch-training session at work yesterday and I can honestly say that it didn't tempt me at all. I knew how puffy and fat I'd feel for 3 days. I ate PILES of salad with walnuts, feta and cranberries. Now that was good!

Short cardio done, off to work. My mother and step dad arrived last night, but I couldn't get time off because it's TAX SEASON. Yuck!

Mel

Tomato
04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Pat, sorry to hear that your trip is now definitely cancelled. I guess I tried to live vicariously through you - I love New England.

Yesterday, I was browsing the Exercise forum and the stickied '10 Most Ineffective Exercises' caught my eye. I am sure I had read it in the past but I decided to read it again and I was glad I did - I was thinking about doing upright rows and I was grateful to read Meg's comment that she was sure that's how she ended with a torn rotator cuff.
Speaking of the devil - where is Meg these days? Haven't seen her post for a while.

Alena

midwife
04-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Apparantly we are all dodging pizza landmines this week. I've been exposed to pizza 2 times in as many days. Came out unscathed!

Pat, I saw 2 snowflakes here yesterday and was NOT amused. This morning my sprint intervals were influenced by sprinklers at the park, frozen grass and slick pavement. Where is summer? :tantrum:

Tomato
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Midwife, it's early APRIL! That's too early for summer. LOL
As far as I am concerned, summer can wait for another 3 months. I am perfectly happy with a slow long spring. If only it rained! We are getting no rain and when it does rain, it's over in 5 minutes. I would like to see some green grass.
I spoke to a customer in Virginia the other day and apparently it's been raining cats and dogs for a couple of weeks. Rain, please move up north!

jamsk8r
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
So far this week, we've had snow, lots of rain, a sort of rain/slushie combo, and one day where it was just blowing/raining sideways all day long. However, spring will not be stopped by such foolishness! The daffodils are in full bloom, the tulips are peeking out here and there, and my idiotic cala lilies keep trying to grow, though they get burned down to nubs every time it freezes. The chickens are learning to fly and about ready for college. Hopefully the sun will peek out one of these days and start warming things up, so I can get the chickens out of the bathroom before they start laying eggs, lol.

So, I did not get to report on the Crossfit adventure yesterday. It was a pretty low-key workout, as the boss man was the only trainer there, and had about eight of us newbs to get round to. We were doing 3 sets of 3 reps each for Power Snatch and Power Cleans. Deadlifts were on the menu, too, but we didn't get that far before our trainer had to go to work at the day job. The snatch ends up overhead, arms locked out, wide grip. The cleans end up in the same position as you'd use to do a front squat, with the bar racked on the shoulders in front, elbows high. The "power" means that the bar starts on the floor, but you catch it in the power position, which is a partial squat, like a quarter squat. Normally, this would be a pretty heavy lifting session, but I hadn't done these with weight before, so the trainer basically just started me out on the girlie bar, and moved me up each set. It was a fun workout, being all lifting :carrot:, and I met a few more people and learned a few names. I'm not great with names, but I'll get it eventually.

Last night (Weds night), my boy was gone overnight to his aunt's house, so I was able to hit the adult skate at the rink with a couple of friends. I arrived late to the public session (which is right before the adult session), just in time to catch the races. I had no chance to warm up or anything, but I gave my friend K the roller derby treatment, and got a very respectable second. Normally, I play it clean in the races, no contact, but K has been hugging the cones the past few weeks, basically it slows everybody else down and makes it impossible to pass her, so when I saw my chance, I got inside and pushed her cheating self out on the turn, then ran for my life, lol. It was all in fun. It took me about 30 minutes after that to skate normally, since my legs were jellified from doing the cold sprint, lol. We got about 4 hours in, total, though the last half hour my feet were toast and my butt was broken (of felt like it was), so we got the butt-scooters out and took turns pushing each other around the floor. The new DJ has finally got the hang of what music to play for the adult session, so it was a great workout, pretty much nonstop jamskating for 3 hrs straight.

Since I got home late and didn't get to sleep till 1, I was not super enthused about getting up this morning at 6. I tried, but didn't make it. I woke again at 7:30, lay there another 15 minutes trying to think of a good excuse to skip the crossfit this morning, but in the end crawled out of bed and got out the door.

This morning's workout was more evil.
3 Round of:
30 Push Press (40# for me)
Run 400 meters
20 Pull-ups (jumping pull-ups for me)

My time was 20:11. The Push Press weight was heavier than I would have chosen for myself, if I was working on my own, but it turned out well. It was a good butt-kicking workout, but I surprised myself by being able to keep up the running on the last round. It wasn't fast, but in the past I'd have dropped to a walk. I'm getting better at breathing, which probably sounds funny, but I'm learning how to suck in enough air on the runs to recover from the lifting, get my heart rate down a little, so I can keep the run going and come back ready for the next thing. Anyway, great workout!

I've got to take care of my morning chores here, then I'll come back and see what I missed on the personal replies. Oh, I got a new low today, not surprising after the 4 hour marathon skate session: 175.2. My first time hitting the 175s probably since 1994!

WaterRat
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Midwife, it's early APRIL! That's too early for summer. LOL

But Alena, Midwife lives in Arizona! It should be summer for her by now - now she knows how the rest of of us feel. :lol:

Cheryl - great job on all the exercising/skating - and the new low!! WOO - WOO!

DH came is as scheduled last night. He said they put a bigger plane (767) on the flight to accommodate more of the stand-by folks. We didn't get home til 2 am though, so I took a few hours off this morning.

midwife
04-02-2009, 11:24 PM
New Mexico---but close enough. I am all about the desert. But today ended rather warm, a little windy, but I was happy!

Glad DH is home, Pat, but sorry about your trip.

Congrats on the scale victory, Cheryl!

WaterRat
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Whoops, well at least I was in the right neighborhood! :) I've not been to NM, though I have been to Arizona, Utah and Colorado, so I've been in the desert. I liked it, though I'm not sure I'd want to live there. But, I do live in a place that lots of people like to visit, but not to live. :lol:

jamsk8r
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey peeps! :wave:

Well, had a little GI adventure first thing this morning. Note to self: forgetting to eat the veggies is wrong! After that and barfing my guts up, I was feeling fine, but not fine enough to eat breakfast, so I grabbed some water and headed to the gym. I was debating whether to go this morning, since I have a long skate session tonight, but I thought, "we did running yesterday, so it will probably be lifting or rowing or something leg-friendly". Yeah. Famous last words, lol.

I get there and look at the white board, it says:
Run 1 mile
Rest
Run 800 meters

After running through all the cursewords I know (in my head, cuz there were children present), I got over it and went for a walk, a little jogging, squatting and stretching for my warm-up. At least it was only a mile and a half, so NBD, really, I just thought it was ironic! I figured all those crossfitters would leave me in the dust, because I am NOT a sprinter, and some of them did, but I was somewhere in the middle for time, which surprised the heck out of me! I got a PR (personal record, that's like a personal best, just PR is the crossfit term) on my half mile, but not on my mile. My PR for a mile is 11:20 so far.

My times today:
(1 mi.) 11:35
(800 meters) 5:11

I took off too fast on the mile and totally gassed about 1/4 mile in, out of air. Had to walk for about 45 seconds to get the breathing back in check, then was able to run the rest of it. I did better on the half, steady pace where I could still get enough air for most of it, then sprinted hard the last 200 meters or so. That's about the limit of my sprinting capabilities right now.

After recovering from my 800, it wasn't time to close the gym yet, so I got in a little pull-up practice (I've almost got the kip going with the rubber band...I was able to do a couple but couldn't string them together). I also practiced my overhead squats with the pvc...I think I'm getting better with that one, now that I've fixed my grip width (I was holding it too narrow at home).

Thanks, all, for the good words on the new low weight! I was pretty stoked about that. :) Hopefully, I've got the diet dialed in now, except for my little blip from yesterday's eating. I was just being lazy yesterday, so I snacked on cashews and ate easy stuff, like the ground turkey that was cooked up, but forgot to make sure I got some veggies on the side. Lesson learned, lol. I've got the dog club meeting tomorrow (the pizza one), but I've decided I'm taking my own food. We're having it at one musher's house, so I'm going to call her today, see if it's okay if I nuke some food over lunch. I'm pretty sure she'll be cool with that.

Oh, Sunday, I'm going sailing! Woot! Maybe we'll get lucky and the sun will peek out, but I'll settle for wind. :)

4rabbit
04-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Hi all,

WOW cheryl, just reading about your activities makes me feel exhausted!

Weekend has started and spring broke early this week! The sun has been out for a couple of days. I have some yard work waiting for me, and a house to clean and run, and work to do. Probably I'll be busy with the work for the whole day, but I'm still going to enjoy myself over the weekend.

It looks like I'm in trouble at work again, but I'm very glad that I now have many other interests and goals in life. I have not lost weight in the BFL challenge, but I am developing muscles in my upper arms, and I was able to run for 8 minutes yesterday !!!!! My long term goal...in 10 years from now I want to be a hard bodied 60 year old!!!.

And another goody... I read in a book on the female brain that after menopause, we sort of loose the "caregiving" hormones. Well, I guess I'm in that situation now, and workwise I have so had it with these guys that I'm just thinking its your problem, you go sort it out yourself. I might be turning into a mean old lady over this one.

have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
04-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Rabbit, congrats on the running! For me, once I got to about 10 minutes straight, I found that it got easier to add time/distance. For a couple of weeks the first 10 minutes was semi-brutal, but past that I felt I could go forever. Eventually, that went away, too, so that it was easy right from the start (as long as I don't get too zippy and run out of air, lol).

Well, running in the morning is bad for skating at night. My legs were toast before I started skating. I got in one semi-decent hour of dance practice, then another hour of trying to keep on with very little in the tank. Finally, at the start of the third hour, I gave it a real honest try, but it's like my leg muscles were just depleted, because I'd get about 30 seconds of work, and bam!... leg cramps and no go-juice left at all, so I called it a night. :(

Woke up this morning sick again, like yesterday, only this time it didn't go away, so no dog club meeting for me today (mostly no one hour drive each way). I called the club prez and told her she could call me and we can do some work over the phone if needed today. Bummed about missing the meeting, but at least I do not have to sit through the pizza-fest.

The sun is shining today! :beach: It's even warm-ish out there! If I get feeling better, I might take advantage of the sunshine and do some work outside. My chickens need their pen finished, so it might be a good day to work on that project.

I got another low today, 174.6! Not sure it's legit with the way I'm feeling, but I'll bask in the glory anyway!

jamsk8r
04-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey, forgot to say, my trainer has a video on the crossfit main site this week. (he does the morning WODs I'm doing now, not the class I took last month) He is a beast! That's my new gym, peeps! Check it out:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitRainier_KurtisLog.wmv

Lydia227
04-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Cheryl: Great job with your losses this week! WTG. Thanks for sharing a video of your new gym. Fun!

We have nice sunny day here too. Kids are outside and the lawn looks like it could be mowed soon. Another day. I had a minor cold hit me Thursday night and I'm just a little tired today. Nothing major. Although it was enough to keep me from doing much more than laundry today. I really wanted to get outside and do a few laps around the neighborhood but it's not happening. See how I'm feeling by Monday. Water, vitamin C, L-Glutamine and rest until then. I'm just glad this is the only cold I got all winter.

Get out and greet the sun everyone! :sunny:

jamsk8r
04-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Lydia, hope you're feeling well soon! I didn't get as sick this winter as I normally do, either. Eating right and exercise...who knew? lol.

Wow, we've got another sunny morning outside, and warmish! Sweet! Probably means no wind on the water, but you never know. We're sailing out of downtown Seattle. I'm thinking I might catch something different to eat for lunch today, hit some place at the waterfront. :chin: Should be able to find something relatively clean to eat within walking distance on the docks there. The boat we're going on is vegan, and I'm not doing the grains thing, so I think I'll take a snack with, just in case, since lunch will have to wait till after.

Tomato
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Lydia, how much snow did you get? We are bracing ourselves for up to 15 cm (what is that - 6 inches?) I feel sorry for all the poor bunnies that were born in March, they must be so cold!!! very ugly day here - I think I will work out at home tonight instead of going to the gym - I have a feeling I won't want to leave once I am home. I already put my snow shovels away.

4rabbit
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi exercisers,

Another victory in running...today I managed 10 minutes at 7-8 km/her, 2 min walk and then 5 minutes running again. I will be concentrating on running this week I think, because an inflammation has appeared in one of my fingers. The doc has put me on antibiotics, and I cannot properly grip with that hand, so i guess that lifting is out for the week.

Spring has finally broken overhere! today we had 21 C, sun, and my bulbs are blooming! Hurray for spring. if the weather holds, I might scrape up enough courage to go run outside in the easter holiday.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Shannon in ATL
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Rabbit - way to go on the running!

Cheryl - you are rocking the weight loss this week!

Lydia - hope you feel better this week!

Alena - I need to look back at that sticky thread you mentioned. I've been doing a seated row, it could be the same thing that Meg had trouble with...

I ran 6 miles at the park and then did 15 minutes of work on the ball when I got home on Saturday. Got up this morning and did 55 mins on the ball and the Weider. I'm going to get back into the getting up to exercise pattern one, I swear! I'm getting better on the ball, but slowly. I don't fall on my face as much, but my feet still roll off the side of the ball on the jackknife and pike press. They are still pretty darn evil...

Have a good day everyone!

jamsk8r
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Alena, sorry to hear about the snow! I wouldn't worry about the bunnies, though...they have very good insulation, plus there are usually enough of them to pile up and get some extra heat.

We are getting the sunny days here, which I know won't last for long, but I'm loving it for now! The sailing was great yesterday...not a lot of wind, but we were on a schooner-rigged tall ship, so with all that sailcloth out there, we got some good speed going a few times. There were lines to haul, much butchering of sea chanties, and the cook brought us each a fabulously evil chocolate and almond cookie, which I shamelessly ate! I also took my lunch and stayed on plan the whole day other than the cookie. Did about 2 miles of walking after the sail, just cruising the waterfront. The boat was actually out in the boondocks (docks, get it? :lol3:), so no chance of snagging something different to eat from a waterfront shop (there was nothing but a marina and the beach where we were...bummer!). If you want to see the boat we were on, the boat is the Adventuress, the website is soundexp(dot)org.

Rabbit, glad to hear you are getting some spring weather over there! I think we have very similar weather patterns. (you are in GB, right?) WOOT! on the running! :carrot:

Speaking of running, my trainer at the CF gym is apparently in love with running, because we did it again today! I actually did all the reps and distance today, and used the biggest band for pull-ups. After the first round, I even figured out how to string together the band pull-ups. Doing assisted pull-ups still sucks bad when your legs are jellified, though. I'll be glad when I can do them on my own, and give my legs a break!

Here's the WOD we did today:
Run 800 meters
25 Wall Ball (still the baby 8# ball for me, though it felt like 80# by the end!)
15 Pull-ups (black band for me)
Run 600 meters
25 Wall Ball
15 Pull-ups
Run 400 meters
25 Wall Ball
15 Pull-ups

My time was 25:39. I did the running straight through, though at my usual turtle pace, just trying to breathe! The wall balls I had to break up into 3-4 sets each time, though I tried my best to keep going. The pull-ups I broke up only when my leg (the one with the rubber band on it) got too shaky and I had to switch legs the last 2 sets).

It really makes a HUGE difference if somebody is cheering you on and talking you through the workout. Every time I stopped on the wall ball, the coach would tell me to get a few more reps, and I found that I could. I love working out there, as if I haven't said that a bazillion times! Also, another lady was right on my tail for time the whole way...I'd overtake her on the runs, then she'd catch me on the wall ball, so just having her pushing right along with me helped motivate me to get a few more reps out each round. We finished 3 seconds apart, so I hope we end up working out in the same group again.

Shannon, 6 miles?! :faint: I have yet to run that far. I'm sure I could do it, but it would probably take me 90 minutes, cuz I'd just get slower and slower, lol.

Well, I'd better get off the 'puter and do something useful. Today I am paying bills and running a few errands. Somebody pulverized my mailbox Saturday night, too, so I need to get a replacement. None of my neighbor's boxes were smashed, so I'm guessing some idiot just ran off the road a bit and took it out with a truck mirror or something like that. Being plastic, the whole front of it just exploded, lol. Bet that woke them up!

Lydia227
04-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Alena: Just a weird rain/snow mix today off and off. Wet and cold today. Blech. No accumulation though. We have a lot of bunnies running in our backyard too.

Rabbit: Good luck with your outdoor runs this week. Interesting how "crosstraining" into a new form of exercise becomes more appealing when we're forced into it by a weakness somewhere else in the body. :lol: Truly hope that you're fingers feel better soon.

Shannon: Nice run. That must have felt wonderful. The stability on the ball will come. In the meantime just have fun with it.

Cheryl: I'm so glad you are enjoying your new gym. Having someone "chase" you behind your workout is pretty motivating. Got a taste of that myself during our gym's BYA class. (Which reminds me I really need to do this again soon...)Your boating trip sounds wonderful! Cookie and all! :rofl: Yep, I would have eaten it too. Bummer about the mailbox.

I'm still fighting whatever this little bug is. It's not too bad as far as colds go but I'm just fighting this low grade fever. Thankfully I don't have to be in the gym until Friday. But I am missing my workouts which irritates me.

I've also been asked to participate in "Train the Trainer Day" at the end of the month. :fr: I'm signed up for three half hour sessions. Let's just say I'll be eating a lot of carbs the night before. I'll let all of you know how it goes...

Speaking of dinner...I have to get it out there.
Have a great evening everyone!

WaterRat
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Howdy! I'm a busy little bee these days, doing who knows what? :shrug: The time just whizzes by however. WIth DH home I'm getting back into more of a routine - he expects to eat regularly, can you imagine? :lol: After work I'm off to do a good cardio - maybe outdoors if it's as warm as it looks from inside. But some weights too, probably a NRLW workout. It's a week with only one weeknight commitment, so the exercise schedule should be more "normal" rather than fit-it-in-when-you-can. I'm waiting for it to be warm enough to do some outdoor cardio in the mornings.... Still only 10F today.

jamsk8r
04-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Dang, Lydia! If we don't hear from you, we'll know you were killed! :lol3:

Hey, Pat! :wave:

I'm just putzing before bed. Today was all chores at home and running errands. Not too exciting. I'm going to have a cup of tea, listen to my book on tape, and try to get to bed at a decent hour, so I can get up in the morning. I'm hoping to hit the gym a little earlier than I have been, so I have time for a good warm-up and to do some skills practice before the suffering begins. I'm still not used to the earlier time schedule, but haven't missed a workout yet. :)

dixied
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I finally broke down and saw my chiropractor yesterday, so my back is now fixed. I was doing fine with just resting it until Saturday when I really messed it up. I did my lower body workout this morning at the ladies only gym. It rocked. No frat boys trying to show each other up. The branch closest to my house is full at 5am, the ladies gym only had 6-8 people, and two were employees. Of course 4 of us were in the free weight area, but they seemed to play well with others, so I think I'll be happier there. I'll still do my cardio at the closer gym occaisionally, when it's not worth it to drive the extra distance.

It's supposed to be below freezing here tonight. For Florida in April that's cold. Poor spring-breakers. :rofl:

sportmom
04-07-2009, 07:25 PM
LOL dee, we are having a cold snap here too, 44 right now and it's been the high of the day. ick!

oh well, the way I look at it in delays the timing of my "big reveal" when i come out in my spring clothes after being on BFL for 3 months :D

Mel
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
:wave: from Aspen/Snowmass Colorado :) I flew out this morning after a grueling weekend of visitors and my mother's 75th birthday at my house.

It's gorgeous out here, but the altitude is killing me. I walked about 1/2 a mile up hill and felt 90 years old. It doesn't help that I have my first cold in years and my ears are all stuffed up and achy. My dd flies in tomorrow afternoon and we'll start skiing on Thursday. it's supposed to snow about 6 inches over night, and again Thursday night.

There is a little gym at the condos where I'm staying, but I think I'm going to ignore it for the week. I can't remember how many years ago i took off 6 whole days! :eek:

Lydia- I learned to fear "Train the Trainer" days! Good luck :dizzy:

midwife
04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Have fun skiing, Mel! Stay warm!

Good luck with train the trainer, Lydia!

Cheryl, I admire how you manage everything so well, workouts, boy, dog, chickens? Pretty amazing!

Dee, glad you have gym options!

Hi Pat! Stay warm....today my dd commented that she wished it was cold here. COLD?? I've been living for Spring for 4 months. I'm wondering if she was switched at birth....except she never left my sight the whole time in the hospital....

jamsk8r
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Midwife, aliens! They can switch your kid without you knowing! ;) Actually, my sister and I were talking about this the other day. We were thinking it would be a good system if we all raised our own kids just up to the point where they start hating everything just because their parents like it, then we could trade kids and get one who would think we were "cool". Like my son...he hates sailing, running dogs, and anything else I like to do. I was thinking I could trade him in for a kid that likes animals. Then I'd be cool again, and he could happily live some place where all he had to do was go to school, hang out with his friends, and play video games till his eyeballs pop out. I think I'm on to something here... :lol3:

The crossfit diet is killin' me, peeps! I've been having GI issues for like 10 or 11 mornings in a row. I am going to buy some yogurts today and put those back in, and I'm cutting out the extra fats. I have tried adjusting them down, but I'm just not winning. Maybe lower fat and calorie counting is just the way I have to eat to be well. For a whole year I didn't have any problems like this. It's only been since March when I started trying to do the zone/paleo thing because it's the crossfit recommended WOE, but I just can't seem to make it work for me. Waking up every morning feeling sick is wearing me down!

Well, I have to feed dogs then get the workout clothes on and out the door to the CF gym.

Shannon in ATL
04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Good morning!

There was ice on my windshield on top of the pollen this morning. Weird visual effect... Supposed to be 65 by the afternoon...

Cheryl - To be accurate, I don't run the entire 6 miles yet, and I find myself slowing down as I go along, too... :) I hope the diet changes make you feel better in the mornings - it isn't pleasant to start the day sick...

Lydia - I bet that "Train the Trainer" will be a blast! Sorry you are still under the weather.

Pat - what is it with husbands expecting meals at regular times? ;) Did you say it is warm up there?

Dixie - glad you enjoyed the ladies only gym! And, that your back go fixed!

Midwife - I firmly believe that teenage girls change their personality out for a new one for a few years in there. My eating habits changed, my tastes changed, everything - all in a matter of days. And they all changed to things nothing like either of my parents. :)

Mel - take the 6 days off and enjoy them! Have a great trip!

Sportmom - I don't have any cute spring clothes that fit me, so the cold snap here is actually working in my favor, even though I hate it cold!

Got up this morning and did an hour of exercise between the ball, the Weider & the dumbells. Feeling great! Yesterday I did 55 minutes of yoga in the morning and 3.5 miles on the treadmill last night. Three days in a row of getting up to exercise in the AM!

I looked up the upright row that Alena mentioned earlier this week, I'm not doing it after all - I just didn't know what it was! I am doing a seated row and noticed today that my elbows are higher than I thought they were. That doesn't put my rotator cuff at risk does it?

Good day everyone!

WaterRat
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
LOL dee, we are having a cold snap here too, 44 right now and it's been the high of the day. ick!

Did you say it is warm up there?

:rofl: Yesterday's high was in the mid-40's and yes, the newscasters and the weather girl called it WARM! The sun sure felt good, and I actually walked to a meeting that was about 2 blocks away from my office.

Mel - altitude kicks my butt as well. Good that you have a day or 2 to acclimate before you start skiing. A 6 day rest from exercise will likely do you good.

I ended up not at the gym last night - too many errands running into needing to eat, then reviewing our tax return - groan. Found a couple of small errors, but all in all it's good - we're getting a refund.

Woke up this morning feeling like I'm coming down with a cold - haven't had one all winter. I have that burning/scratchy feeling at the back of my throat, and I was really tired, even after a full 8 hours of sleep. I'm doing my best to ward it off.....

I like the idea of changing up your exercise Dee. I try to do that every couple of months, but I've been so off/on for awhile that I haven't. I'm thinking I'll recycle a routine I was using last fall for some variety since I don't see where I'll have the time to work up a whole new one in the next few weeks.... I have the same problem with weights at home. I don't have heavy enough ones for some exercises. I can pretty well do UB with them, but I need heavier ones for LB (unless I get bigger hands so I can hold 2 at once :lol: ). What I'd really like is a place to keep all this stuff so I don't have to drag it out when I want to use it. We have a very small house (~ 1650 sf) and the basement is given over to a home office and a sewing room (which were originally bedrooms) plus DH's wood shop, the laundry room, and an area that has the hot water heater, the pressure tank from the well, and an exercise bike (oh, and the cats' litter box :) ). It's also where you come into the basement so you have to walk through it to go anywhere else. It's really the only place I could move exercise equipment to, but it's not ideal obviously. Need to churn that around some more. We have no garage, just a carport, which would be a little chilly in the winter.

Cheryl, sounds like you gave the CF diet a fair shot. Probably time to do what works for you and will let you feel better.

Shannon - the frost and pollen effect sounds like it might make a good photo.

jamsk8r
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey ladies, back from my workout. :wave:

Today at the CF gym we had another lifting WOD. :love: I like these so much better than the metcons!

I didn't get there as early as I'd hoped, but still got there in time to do a decent warm-up:
Rowing, 500-something meters, just was practicing my form.
Shoulder dislocates with pvc
2 rounds of:
10 OHS (overhead squats) with pvc
10 Pull-ups with the black (biggest) band
10 Push-ups (six on my toes, woot!)
10 Sit-ups (regular bent-knee on floor)
Then a couple sets of 3 OHS with the 15 lb and 30 lb barbell

The WOD:
OHS 3-3-3 (Overhead Squat, 3 sets of 3 reps each)
Set 1: 45 lbs Failed on 2 attempts, right wrist was very painful!
Set 2: 45 lbs with right wrist taped, got it (PR) but still painful
Stopped there...trainer says go back to 30 lb bar, slowly add 5 lbs at a time, and my wrists will get used to it.

Front Squat 3-3-3
Warm-up Set: 45 lbs
Set 1: 45 lbs
Set 2: 55 lbs
Set 3: 65 lbs

Back Squat 5-5-5 (was supposed to be 3, but it was my first time doing these at CF, so trainer wanted to keep it light and do a few more reps)
Set 1: 65 lbs
Set 2: 65 lbs
Set 3: 65 lbs
Trainer said to just stick there, since it was my first time with the olympic style back squat.

It was a good warm-up and workout. My new trainer likes the feet out wider than the trainer I had for class. I actually like my feet a little closer together, having done both, but I just did as he asked. I can actually get lower with control when my feet are a little more under my hips, but he's the boss, and I didn't do too bad, just had to fight to keep my knees out, but that's good practice, too.

Small world moment: there was a young teen there that I recognized from the old skating rink. He remembered me, too, so we compared notes on the skating for a few minutes...turns out he's the nephew of one of the ladies there that is one of the newer trainers (but longtime client) there.

I got to hold a baby, too. His mom was doing her lifting and he was fussing, so I got to carry him around between my lifting sets. I like baby people!

I stopped by the Costco on the way home, and bought some more yogurt. I'm going to try adding that in first, see what happens. If I'm still feeling bad in the mornings after a few days of that, then I'll cut back more on the fats.

Lydia227
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Mel: You must be in ski crazy people heaven! Have a wonderful time with all that fresh snow! I'll just be thankful that I'm not seeing any of that stuff here!

Cheryl: Isn't it interesting how there are so many opinions on the stance to be take with the back squat. I naturally go wide, my instructor guided me to stand a little less width but allow the knees to go out to the sides. It scares me to death though. I can just imagine my knees popping off or the rest of my menisci snapping like a rubber band. Admittedly, I also found I could go much deeper this way just like you. Too low actually. He had to keep reminding me to stop. It was an unloaded bar though. I think I may go that low only once with my usual weight and then learn not to be doing that again soon.

I agree with Pat. You gave the Paleo diet a fair chance. If you are feeling sick each morning it's not the best thing for you. Food is fuel and should make you feel good! Good luck with the tummy troubles. Oh! And congrats with your pushups! You have to feel great about that!

Pat: I'm so sorry I made you sick. I am beginning to feel better. Hopefully your cold will be running its course in less than a week too. :hug:

Shannon: Ice covered pollen?! See that's the kind of thing that would really drive me nuts this time of year.

I'm finally feeling better. I'm heading into the gym for a workout tomorrow. I've had a week off and I'm beginning to remember a life without exercise. The good, the bad and the ugly. It's been nice having time off. It's time to get back to work.

jamsk8r
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Lydia, the problem I'm having is he (the trainer) wants me to go deep with the wider stance, which is harder for me. I did it, but felt I could have done better if my feet were in a little.

We had another trainer filling in this morning for the WOD. The WOD was deadlifts and rope climbs. On the DL (deadlifts), this trainer wanted me to keep my eyes straight ahead, but I let him know that the first trainer and big boss lady had drilled me with keeping the head/neck in line with the rest of the spine, so he easily went along with that. The problem is when the 2 big bosses (husband and wife, the husband is my trainer most of the time now), have slightly different things they want for form, like the wider/narrower foot stance. I'm not complaining, just finding it tricky to do the workout when I have to change something major like my stance!

Today's WOD:
DL 21-15-9 (65# for me)
Rope climb 3-2-1

So, first round was 21 DL, 3 rope climbs, second round was 15 DL, 2 rope climbs, third round was 9 DL, 1 rope climb. My time was 3:59.

I did not have my previous DL weight written down in my CF log book, so the trainer that was filling in didn't want me going too heavy. Turned out the 65# was too light, since I was able to do every set unbroken, so I'll know next time to go up to 85 or 95# for this rep scheme. For "rope climbs" I still can't climb the rope, so I did the beginner ones, where you lower yourself to the floor from standing, then pull yourself back to standing, arms only.

I bought some yogurt yesterday, and decided to load up. Had 4 of the yogurts throughout the day, and this morning, voila! Not having GI issues and feeling fine this morning! :carrot: Not exactly a scientific study, but hopefully just having a yogurt a day will keep things working as they should. It was so nice to wake up NOT feeling sick, after 11 days straight. I'd never make it as a POW...all they'd have to do is wait about 2 weeks of me living without yogurt, and I'd tell all! ;)

Well, I'm trying to give the dogs some time outside, since the sun is peeking through, then I have to go to my sister's today and do some yard work.

jamsk8r
04-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Where is everybody? I know Mel is skiing, but where's everyone else? :shrug:

Today's CF workout was awesome! I got there in time to do a good warm-up: some rowing, some overhead squats with the pvc, stretching, then warmed up with a barbell since today's workout was lifting only. :love:

Here's what was on the board for the workout:
Push Press or Push Jerk (go for a PR)
(translation for Alena: pick one or the other, and go for a 1 rep max)

I chose Push Press, but had no previous PR, since the most I'd done for push press was about 45 lbs, so this was my first time going for a 1 rep max.

My warm-up sets were (in US pounds/lbs):
15-15-15 (was going for sets of 3 as long as I was able)
30-30-30
45-45-45

My working sets were:
65-65-65
75-75-75
85-85-85
95-95-95F (F= failed attempt on the last rep, now went to single reps)
100F-100F (failed both attempts, took a break)
100 (got it! woot!)
105F-105F (took a break)
105F-105 PR!!! WOOT! :carrot:

One of the ladies that is in the "beast" category, IMO, (aka very strong) was doing Push Jerk, and only got to 125 today, so I'm feeling like 105 lbs for Push Press isn't too shabby!

The best part of this workout is that it was all upper body, for which I am grateful, since tonight is skating...I might actually be able to skate more than 2 hours tonight!

Lydia, are we due for a report on the "train the trainer" day yet? I'm dying to hear how rotten the workouts were! We'll need all the gory details, especially if there's puking involved! :lol3:

nelie
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm lurking and sick :)

4rabbit
04-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Cheryl,
I'm here! I started my easter holiday with a ton of yardwork, and I have more coming. I paln to start the pool up, and I have to clean up the back of my yard.

I had leg day yesterday and noted that my run today went lousy. i developed a sort of cramp in my R leg, so in the end I just quit. Hope do better tomorrow.

I'm thrilled to read about the workouts..they seem very very advanced. Ouch!

Nelie - get well soon!

Have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

Lydia227
04-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Cheryl: I'm here. :wave: Just busy creating drama in my life. :lol: DH says it's not drama just the "winds of change" that I create around me every time I "grow" :rolleyes:

What's the problem? Childcare. I thought I had it wrapped up for DS2. Our kindergarten program is only 2.5 hours long. I had enrolled him in a wrap around program that would allow me to work this coming fall. I just received notice on Tuesday that I've been "wait listed." There is a good chance he is not going to be placed on the list. :tantrum:

This program really was the only option I could afford and felt good about. So, ~sigh~ I discussed this with the gym owners. They both have been very supportive in wanting to work with me regarding any hours I could give to them. Really supportive. I'm just really impressed with these people.

I'm looking at when I could work before DS gets out of school and getting my own workouts in etc. Throw in the 6 early release days, 10 scheduled Fridays off, the week for Christmas, Spring Break, and the days surrounding Thanksgiving and Easter and you have a schedule for a nightmare. Oh yeah, and the inevitable earache/weather clamity days.

There are just so many opportunities for me to learn with this place and I really don't want to close a door. The other option was to pick this up again next year with them when the little guy is going into first grade. I'm leaning toward that option. In the meantime I can continue to work toward another cert or two, immerse myself into the classes as a client of the gym and really get to know it from that perspective for a few more months. Train the Trainer Day, it's at the end of the month. If I decide to hang back for next year I'm probably not going to play in the "reindeer games." But if I do, I'll let you know.

jamsk8r
04-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Lydia, good luck with the daycare situation. Guess you can't take him to the gym with you? :(

Rabbit, sounds like your legs wanted a day off? Must have been a good leg day in the weight room!

Nelie, hope you'll be feeling better soon. Did you get the cold that's going around this board? ;)

Skating went great. It sure helps not having a leg-abuse workout in the morning on a skating day! Danced my feets off for 2.5 hrs. Now, I need to get some sleep...the gym doesn't open till 9:30 tomorrow, but the workout is at 10am for everybody, so I can't be late. Saturday is usually some evil metcon, I think, and this is my first Saturday. Should be fun, and hopefully will be one of those "lying on the floor in a puddle of my own sweat" workouts. I haven't really had one of those yet.

Shannon in ATL
04-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm here, I'm here! Been a little hectic the last few days... Ran on Thursday, took yesterday off, then took this morning off as an uplanned off morning... DSS woke us up at 11:30, 1:30, 3:30, 5:15 & 5:45.... once he got back up at 7:05 I fell asleep and didn't get back up until 9... Busy day today, so probably no exercise...

Have to get downstairs now, will be back to respond to posts later! Good Saturday all!

midwife
04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm here. Food has been awful this week. But I will do better today!

After legs last night, I decided to measure my vertical jump. 13.5".....next time I'll measure it before a leg workout.

sportmom
04-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm here too, but wasn't the last 2 days or so, just busy days at work, and well - that stupid "Google Ads loading" delay that I get at the bottom of every page during a screen change.

Just plugging along on the BFLTrain. The last month seems to be really fun. I'm starting to actually see new changes about twice a week. Have been spending some time each day in the closet to arrange my inventory in there since I think I'll start moving thru some new/old clothes soon. I guess it's like you said Jam to the other poster's thread about it all being fat from here on out. It doesn't move quickly and my numbers have really slowed down to losing in a month what I used to lose in a week, but the shape is changing. That's cool.

jamsk8r
04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Morning, ladies. :coffee:

Well, my brilliant plan to sleep in this morning was foiled by the cat. He was at my window at 5am, wanting in out of the rain so he could get some breakfast. He's lucky cats are no good for eating! ;)

Shannon, you definitely win the sleep deprivation contest! Is there a prize for that? lol. I hope you get to sleep in today!

Midwife, let us know if there's a diff trying the jump before your workout. I haven't had to do box jumps yet at the new gym. At home, I was only jumping up about 9", I think, or whatever the steppy thing and 2 risers comes out to. Seems like everybody at the CF gym can jump on the big tire, which must be 20" at least! So far, I've been too self-conscious to test it out, since I'm pretty sure I'll just trip and fall into the middle of the tire, head first, lol.

Fran, I'm excited to hear about all the positive changes you're seeing in this challenge! Will we get to see some pics at the end? I'd love to see the transformation! I took some pics at the beginning of March, so I can compare to them later. I'll be interested to see what changes take place with the CF workouts and the recent tweaks to my diet.

OMG, you guys, Saturday's workout was evil, as promised! Here's what was on the board:
Run 400 (meters)
25 OHS (overhead squats)
50 sit-ups (any kind you like)
Run 800
50 sit-ups
25 OHS
Run 400

My time was 20 mins 31 secs.

The trainer scaled the OHS weight for me, since I had some pain in my right wrist at 45# the other day (weird wrist angle, so it was protesting). The prescribed women's weight for this was 45#, but I used the 15# bar, since my trainer didn't want me to overstress that wrist, but I did all the reps! woot!

It was grueling, but awesome, too. I would never have tried that many sit-ups at home, not 50 at a time. I've done that many in a workout, but in sets of 15 or 25, so it was good for me to have the experience of doing 50 per set, to see that it wouldn't kill or injure me.

My goal for this workout was to just try and keep moving at a steady pace, with as little rest as possible. The other day I was reading a crossfitter's blog, and she had this little saying that helped me: "Never Cheat. Never Quit." During the 800 meter run in the middle, that little mantra kept me running when I wanted so bad to walk! I just kept saying it over and over in my head, since it was a good distraction and motivation to keep running.

During the second set of sit-ups, I thought about this guy at the CF gym I go to...I watched him do the Fight Gone Bad workout last month, when I first started, and he just never stopped working the whole time...whether he was doing box jumps or one of the lifts, he just kept moving. It was clear he was in pain, breathing like a racehorse, but he just never stopped! So, I thought about him and that got me through the second set of sit-ups and the OHS without stopping. I just concentrated on counting my reps, doing ten more, 5 more, 1 more, whatever worked at that moment. It was a great feeling to finish this workout, and know I gave it everything I had. I didn't cheat, I didn't quit, and I kept moving, so I'm calling that a good one!

Last night, we had the taco party at the gym owners' house. I expected there to be a lot more people there, but there were only about 15 or so that showed up, not counting kids. The tacos were yummy, and there were brownies involved. I love the crossfit women! Here are these beautiful, fit women, and they are scarfing tacos and brownies like nobody's business! I had one beer with dinner. Since the last beer I'd had was maybe a year ago, I was feeling the effects, so after that I had water and hung out, chatting, sipping water and waiting for the beer to wear off so I could drive home.

The conversation was good, I got to know a few more names, and everyone was very welcoming and genuinely friendly. There was lots of chat of workouts, comparing of torn calluses, max lifts from the past week, and rope burns...plus plenty of foolishness.

Apparently, Monday's workout is going to be a random drawing from the hat of one of the "Girl" CF WODs, like Fran or Cindy or something. My everything hurts today, so I'm glad it's a rest day! Now, if I could just catch up on some sleep before tomorrow, I'd be all set! Today will be a low-carb day, to make up some for last night.

Speaking of today, Happy Easter, peeps! My boy is 12 this year, and finally too "cool" for egg hunts (yes! lol), so I got him a ginormous chocolate bunny, a 2 gig memory card he can use to make movies on our new digital camera, and some mini reese cups...that was it. Woot! We might do a cookout later, if it's not too gross out, and if my sister and nephew are up for it. My grill is still at my sister's house, since I loaned it to her over the winter, in case of power outages, so she'd have a way to cook or heat water if needed. Maybe we'll have a cookout, then I can get my grill back for the summer. (assuming summer ever arrives, lol)

elisa822
04-12-2009, 08:09 PM
WhewÖ.Iím back!! Wow, how time flies?! I feel like I disappeared for a week or two but I think it might be more like a month or two. :o I donít know what happened. Well, I know part of it was being sick so much. From January to March, it felt like I was almost always sick. And this was crazy for meÖthere was a few years where I donít remember getting one cold and this one just kept coming back. Finally, after a visit to the doctor and a few antibiotics, I feel like a new person!

A quick catch up from meÖI was doing pretty well with workouts and food until the last few days but Iím hoping that itís just a blip. DH is still coming to the gym and we occasionally work out together, so thatís been fun. It kills me how quickly he can see the change in muscle size. I just donít get the same results but I know, hormones and all that good stuff. ;)

The weather is finally coming along and Iíve had a couple of successful 5k runs outside. I was thrilled because I donít know if I ran 5k straight all winter and I still managed to eek in just under 30 minutes!!

Looks like thereís lots of stuff going on here, so Iíll try to catch up and say hi to everyone soon. I hope to not be such a stranger!

Now I'm off to read lots of posts....

:D

Lydia227
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Cheryl: You are describing such a wonderful experience through CrossFit. I love it that you are finding people who motivate you to keep working through your workout as well. I think one of the benefits of a gym membership is the inspiration we may develop from watching others really work toward their goals. It causes us to reach down deep and have the thought that "If he/she can do that, so can I." Much more powerful to move toward a positive goal/image of a future self than to move away from a negative image of ourselves as unfit.

Elisa :dance: :hug: I'm so glad you are feeling better. It's been so long since I've seen you post I was concerned about you. Sorry to hear about the returning cold bug. But it sounds like you are doing just fine with your runs. And congratulations to your DH as well in his gym commitments.

I just returned from my Dad's. I ate way more today than I usually do and I'm feeling physically awful. Mentally, not a lot of guilt over the food because in the big picture I'm fine. But wow, I just really don't do well with the three big meals a day plan anymore. Blah. Looking forward to seeing how this translates into my workout tomorrow. :carrot: Let's just assume there were a lot of carbs involved. :s:

sportmom
04-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Yep, I've got pictures. :D I took start, 4, 6, and 8 weeks. We'll see how they look at week 12! Got a good lbwo today......times TWO! Unintentional, but we were visited by carpet beatles, so in addition to working out, doing a boatload of laundry - 5 very large oversized loads? - I had to take apart my whole bedroom, vacuuming, pulling out nightstands and bureau, disassembling the whole bed and pulling off the boxes to vacuum underneath. Washing all the bedding and checking out the springs to see if they've been adopted by the beatles. I think we're ok, but boy, I could really feel my glutes working when I was lifting those springs up off the floor and doing the deep vacuuming. It was actually a good feeling to feel the muscles kicking in. And Mel, yes, ;) I even vacuumed the lampshades. Hey, if you're doing baseboards, might as well huh?

So far so good, haven't seen any more critters. It wasn't horribly bad, mostly just dead shells, only a few alive. Now we've found dead shells in the bathrooms. Luckily, no sign of them in the pantry. They seem to eat either meal/grains or carpet/fabric, upholstery. Anyone have any hints? The girls are freaked out but I keep telling them that compared to what I grew up with in the South, this is nothing. These guys don't bite, fly, or leave a mess behind.

Oh, and did both fed and state taxes as well. Just finished, that's why I'm up so late. :faint: Good for another year.

Mel
04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Good morning :wave: I got back from Colorado at about midnight last night after a VERY eventful day. The Aspen airport was fogged/snowed in and no flights could land- hence no flights could leave. DD had an earlier flight out (theoretically) than I did and sat at the airport while the flight coming in before hers circled, then went to Grand Junction, CO., then her flight circled and went back to Denver, then was canceled. She was desperate to get back to Columbus to get to work today and had the smarts to race for the car rental desk and be first in line. So we drove from Aspen to Denver, seeing way more of Colorado than we expected, but made our flights out! The drive actually was gorgeous. If I ever go there again, I think I'll skip the Denver/Aspen flight and rent a car. That airport is just too iffy, and I didn't know it at the time.

We had a great time, despite my having bronchitis, thinking I was going to die, and meeting the only doctor in town. Turns out that nyquil/dayquil combo is a really bad idea at high, dry altitudes. My resting pulse rate when I finally saw the doc was 89. It's usually 50-55.

Cheryl- Your crossfit experience sounds fantastic! Isn't it great to meet other people in real life who share this passion?

Elissa- Good to see you back. Sorry the germs found you so often. For not running all winter, that's a great time.

Fran- :eek: the bug problem sounds dreadful! We were infested with ants two weeks ago when it was raining so much. I wanted to move :lol:
Can't wait to hear/see your 12 week results!

:wave: Lydia! When is train the trainer day?

I've done no formal workouts for a week. It's a record! but I sure got a lot of leg work. I really can't fathom how people who don't work out consistently can ski. By the end of the second day of skiing, my quads weren't just screaming, they were cramping. Which is REALLY uncomfortable with skis and boots on. The runs were were doing were actually easier than the steep, icy eastern variety, but they sure were long.

Food was...not on plan. Low carb skiing just doesn't work. Amazingly, my clothes don't feel any tighter than when I left.
won't attempt cardio until tomorrow. Today is the first day I can breathe without hacking or wheezing! Yay for antibiotics :)

Mel

jamsk8r
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey peeps, just checking in to say I'm reading posts, but have to run out the door to catch the morning workout. Supposed to be one of the dreadful "girl" WODs today. Yeah, I tried to think of a good excuse to skip it...brain surgery, boy emergency, anything...couldn't think of a good one, so I guess I'll just go get my butt kicked now. I'll check in later if I can crawl to the computer, lol. Mel and Elisa, good to have you back!

Tomato
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Aloha, ladies!

I am still alive. I started to catch up on posts that I missed but then I had to jump in the shower because just reading about Cheryl's workouts make me sweat horribly. :D Does that count as exercise?

My foot is not any better and I have to admit there are days when it is very hard to not give in to depression because it seems to me that I will never get rid of this. And when I am in a mood like that, it is very easy to lose discipline with food and even skip exercise. I should be getting custom orthotics this week and I hope they will make some difference, because otherwise I am miserable even after 1/2 hour on the elliptical. Basically, just being on my feet is enough to aggravate it.

I flipped through a number of Oxygen magazines on the weekend and found an article that addresses the triceps (the article starts with a sentence that goes like this: "Do you find that your arm continues to wave long after you stopped waving?" :lol::cry: They "prescribe" a set of three exercises that change every 3 weeks or so and the reps are 5-10-20. So I started the first set of exercises yesterday and I liked it - I guessed I could have gone a wee bit harder on myself since my triceps are sore today but I can still lift a mug of tea to my lips. :) I will ramp it up a bit the next time. I wanna get rid of the flab!
I did cardio this morning (elliptical -> foot is screaming) and I think that's it for today.

By the way, I wanted to mention I had a very salad yesterday: I found yellow beets at my local grocery store (I have never seen yellow beets before) so I bought a bunch. The attached recipe suggest to cut them up and marinade for a bit in an olive oil/lemon vinaigrette. I was out of lemon, so I used Lemon Poppy Seed dressing (fairly low cal and quite tasty) as a substitution. I added a small handful of sunflower seeds, a small handful of dried cranberries and I crumbled a chunk of light feta over it. It was a very good snack-o-meal and quite filling. Yellow beets will be on my menu from now on (if the store continues to supply them).
The one remaining beet is brightening my lunch salad today - I bet some of my colleagues will ask "what is THAT?" :D

Lydia227
04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Alena: Your salad sounds wonderful. I've just rediscovered beets myself. Something my grandmother enjoys. There is a restaurant that serves beets with hard boiled eggs. The deal is I get the hard boiled egg and she eats the beets. We enjoyed them at Easter together too.

I totally know understand the frustration of not being able to exercise with your injury. It's awful. But, don't use it as an excuse to eat poorly. Nutrition is still a huge component of weightloss and maintenance. You've worked too hard and trust me you don't want to play the five up five down game. :hug: I hope that the orthotics help. Skipping exercise because of the pain I understand. If even the elliptical is painful how about exploring some yoga moves. With the exception of the downward dog it could get you off your feet but still keep you physically in tune with your body. Just a thought.

Cheryl: So how was that "girl" workout today. :lol:

Mel: Nice you to you back from vacation. The flight/rental car dance. DH has had to do that a few times as well. A two hour drive is so much better than unplanned night in a hotel room. Ack. To be sick on your ski vacation and an increase heart rate. The nyquil stuff, I just can't do it even at this altitude. It makes me all jittery instead of sleepy and my heart just races. :dizzy: Hate that stuff.

Fran: BUGS! I lived in The South for a couple of years. It was so funny, the condo place had free pesticide service. They would come in every month and just do the perimeter to keep the critters at bay. I'm not sure which made me more uncomfortable, the chemicals or the bugs. I would often delay the service till I found way to many creatures and then call them back in again. Oh, and extra points for the lampshade. :lol: Wanna do mine?

Took a spinning class this morning. First time in more than a year. Actually, I got roped into it. I walked into the group exercise room just to do my warm up and glute activations. (Leg and squat day) In the middle of the room was one woman on a bike. I asked if there was a class and she said yes in about two minutes. Hmmm. 'Kay. She asked if I would join her so she wouldn't be the only one in the class and I said sure. Turns out it's my personal trainer who is teaching the class. By the end of the first real interval I had over done it and was looking to puke somewhere. Seriously thought I was going to have to get off the bike and put my head between my knees or something. :dizzy: I will never eat my Protein Oatmeal just before a spinning class ever again. (Not that I was planning on spinning anyway) Still, now I know...I will however take the class again if they let me bring in my own music. :lol:

Rain today and a nap sounds like a good idea. Too bad I've got too much to do today. Have a great afternoon everyone!

jamsk8r
04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Lydia, glad you didn't lose your oatmeal in the spin class. I've heard about those spin classes, and have been too chicken to jump into one. :brr:

Well, after all that build-up, and my personal fear that it would be something super evil, it was only Isabel for the WOD today: 30 snatches for time. We all actually did power snatches. If we'd had to do full squat snatches, that would have been super evil, but power snatches aren't too bad. I only used 47# today (the Rx'd weight for women is 95#, guys 135#, but other than a few superhuman peeps that have been training a long time, everybody scaled this one down in weight). The odd weight number on mine was because I used the 15# bar, 2 plywood plates that were 6# each, and 2 10# bumpers.

My time was 4:32.

Here's a video showing this workout, using power snatches like we did. The music on the vid is pretty obnoxious, so you might want to turn the volume down, but this shows a good example of what our workouts were like today... you find a spot on the floor where you won't clobber anybody, and when enough folks are ready to go, they call 3-2-1-go, and you're off. You count your own reps, and call "time!" when you're done. They have fancy stopwatches that can record everybody's individual times while keeping the clock running for those who are still working. Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-pyHFhpa3k

For my warm-up today I did:
Row 500 meters
Shoulder dislocates till my shoulders were loosened up
10 overhead squats with the pvc
10 regular sit-ups, feet anchored
10 knee push-ups
10 straight-legged sit-ups (cuz I needed to do SOMEthing diff for sit-ups)
4 real push-ups (should have tried those first, but that's all there was today)
6 knee push-ups
10 overhead squats with the 15# bar
2 pull-ups with the green band (that's all I could get)
10 pull-ups with the black band
10 jumping pull-ups from a box
Some stretching
10 power snatches with the 15# bar
10 power snatches with the bar and wood plates (27#)
3-4 power snatches with the bar, wood plates and bumpers (47#)

elisa822
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the nice welcomes from everyone...I should go away more often!

Lydia - It's been a while but somehow we're still in sync ;) I went for a spin class today too...but I did not almost puke! :o Glad you made it through yours. I really needed some cardio and you can always count on a spin class for a solid cardio workout. I love/hate my spin classes like I love/hate a lot of things that are good for me!!

Cheryl - try the spin classes...everyone should try them once!! Your workouts sound amazing and I will definitely check out that video. I am so intrigued by what you do and it makes my workouts seem so boring!

Mel - great picture!

It's amazing how good it is to feel healthy again for more than a few days. We're in the middle of our Passover holiday so, for anyone who knows, it would explain my last few days of poor food choices but I'm getting back on track and I'm hoping for a great workout/food week. Spin class done and I hope tomorrow to get in both a Power Yoga and a Group Power class. We'll see if I can do it.

WaterRat
04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
:wave: I'm having a usual Monday - which is to say, too busy to know which way I'm going. :) My Monday morning directors' meeting left me with more work than I needed, plus the addition of two more meetings this week :faint: And I have a new admin asst who started today. Luckily I had budgeted for a week's overlap with the current AA, so there's plenty of training going on that I don't have to be involved with. And she's catching on fast. Whew.

Food was decent for most of the weekend, though Easter brunch at church was a minefield - tons of homemade baked goods. Thankfully there were hb eggs, lots of fruit, and ham as well. I got away with 1.5 ordinary sized cinnamon rolls, 2 eggs, a small banana, grapes, and a small piece of ham. We ate our regular stuff the rest of the weekend. Even grilled chicken outdoors for the first time this year - only to have it snow this morning! (It's melted already of course).

Welcome back Elisa!

I've another 90 minutes of work, then I'm off to the gym to have some cardio destressing before I go home. :)

Tomato
04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Somehow I didn't see Mel's picture when I logged in at work - nice pic, Mel! The emply white slope make want to ski (and I haven't skied since I was 6 years old).

Hi Elisa, nice to see again!

jamsk8r
04-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Good eye, Elisa...I didn't see that this morning, either. Nice picture, Mel!

I've been going blind online today, trying to find a "how-to" or videos showing how to do a kipping pull-up with the rubber band. I only found 2 or 3 videos showing anybody kipping with a band, but hopefully it will help. Seems like, with the band, you can't do the kip the normal way...you can't bend at the knee at all, or the band just sproings and you look like a dork (guess how I know this, lol). I've tried kipping with the one leg that's not stepping down on the band, but trying to coordinate that just reminds me why I never could do aerobics. So, I'll try again tomorrow, and see if my kipping gets any better, using the technique shown here:
http://crossfitbirmingham.ning.com/video/kipping-band-pullups

Hopefully, the band doesn't fly off and shoot my eye out. ;)

jamsk8r
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Morning, everyone! :coffee:

I'm playing hookie from my workout this morning, even though I really, really, hate to miss one...I'm addicted! However, I really needed to get some work done around here this morning, and have been promising my sister I would get over and do some yard work at her place, so I decided to be responsible today and get some things checked off my neglected "to do" list. I can go back to playing at Crossfit tomorrow.

Yesterday was a miserable day for weather. Rain, hail, raining slush, more rain, more hail, more slush, lots of wind. Hopefully, today won't be like that. I'm ready for a few more of those nice sunny days like we had last week, now that the garden is good and watered!

Okay, I'm off, just wanted to check in. What are you peeps doing for workouts today?

elisa822
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Double workout day: Power Yoga at lunch (done) and I'm off shortly for Group Power after work. That's a lot of Power! ;) We'll see if they work well together or not.

Cheryl - sorry about your weather...ours is looking good this week but at this time of year, every day is a new adventure! And good for you for playing hookie when you need to...sometimes you just have to get stuff done!

Have a good evening everyone.

nelie
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I had a couple cookies today. Small cookies but still cookies. I felt so stupid afterwards because it was just a momentary lapse.

Good thing though is I didn't let me derail the rest of my day. This morning, I also got a kettlebell/elliptical workout in (did elliptical with some kettlebell intervals).

I've spent the past few weeks investigating tricycles. There are a lot of different options in various price ranges. I'm torn between a sitting upright tricycle and a low, down to the ground recumbent. I think I'm leaning towards a recumbent but who knows? Later this week, I'll be near a bike shop that sells them so I'm going to go visit.

sportmom
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Post some pictures = I'm intrigued by an adult version. off to google, but what's the market for these, more stability or what?

nelie
04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Fran,
This is my current favorite:
http://www.terratrike.com/
(although it changes moment by moment as I research)

There is a bike shop in college park/mt airy (www.bike123.com) that seems to have a good selection. I'm going to Mt airy for something else on Friday so I'm going to stop by, I think.

There is a lot more stability plus if you happen to fall (its hard but possible), you are closer to the ground and less likely to crack your head.

Mel
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Still no workout for me, so I'm eating squeaky clean. I think I've finally turned the corner and won't pass out if I try to workout tomorrow. I'm done my antibiotics, but I still feel like "snot for brains" :rofl:.

nelie- why not ride a bike? Have you fallen in the past?

Cheryl- yardwork hardly sounds like playing hookie! It's rained solidly here and my lawn is bright green and long, but way too wet to mow.

jamsk8r
04-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Mel, ditto on the wet lawns here. I'll just be doing some spring clean-up on the yard and garden, transplanting and such. I ended up postponing that job till tomorrow, since the jobs at home kept me busy enough today. I got a lot done here, though, which I am happy about. I can actually see the surface of my desk, which is a rare event, these days! That will make this coming week go smoother. The boy starts back to homeschooling tomorrow, so he's off at the library enjoying the last bit of his vacation. The sun is actually out today! :D (so, of course, I've spent the whole day inside, catching up on paperwork, cleaning house and doing laundry, lol)

Okay, I'm going to make a cup of tea, and take a whole 10 minutes to enjoy the sun before it goes away. :beach:

WaterRat
04-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Interesting Nelie. My DH was interested in recumbent bicycles for awhile, (though still rides a regular one) but I didn't know they made recumbent trikes. When I used to visit my folks in Florida, I saw lots of adult upright trikes - complete with big baskets - being ridden by seniors. My neighbor tells me that in AZ retirement parks they're more apt to have golf carts! :)

sportmom
04-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Nelie, I've seen a couple of those around here. They are much lower to the ground, but i think that would in turn scare me with the limited visibility of motorists not seeing me as early. Wal-Mart online has a Schwinn but it's a more traditional upright with a basket on the back.

Mel
04-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Ok, now I know what nelie is talking about. I agree about the limited visibility. There's a guy who rides one every morning to work around here- and the roads are terrifying! But he's been doing it or years, so I guess the cars can see him.

Did a fast incline walk on the treadmill this morning and feel good. YAY! Still not exactly HIIT, but an improvement.

And I finally got on the scale and actually lost weight on my vacation :)

Weights at lunch.

nelie
04-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Mel - I can't get over my fears of riding my bike. I've never fallen. I also have some depth perception issues as well (I have issues walking down stairs) which I think come into play.

I would mostly be riding on paths, not roads although there is a recumbent bike club in my area that does monthly rides and there are some trike members in it. I'd probably be braver riding in a large group. I may ride on roads but probably only with my husband on his road bike and only for short distances. I looked at the 'bike to work' day thing and tried looking at the path that I'd need to take and there is no way I'd do it. Part of it would be on a road where people go 60 (or more).

jamsk8r
04-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Nelie, either of those options sounds like a fun ride!

I made it to my workout this morning, and it was deadlifts. The trainer almost made me "make up" yesterday's metcon, but I asked him to let me do deadlifts since I'd yet to have a shot at more than 65 lbs since I started there. (plus, I REALLY didn't want to run since I'm hoping to skate tonight!) We were doing 3 working sets of 3 reps per set.

Warm-up sets:
65-65-65
95-95-95
115-115-115

Working sets:
135-135-135
155-155-155
175(PR!)-175-175

That's my heaviest deadlift ever. WOOT! :carrot: 155 is my 5 rep PR, so I don't know that 175 is that impressive for 3, however, every time I've done 155 before, it's been so hard to keep my back tight, but this time, it was no problem, and I even got the first 2 @ 175 without my form breaking down. The last rep at 175 was starting to get ugly, so I stopped there. Still, totally stoked about getting a little more weight this time, and especially the 155 feeling so much easier!

Mel, congrats on the weight loss!

I've had a few too many "just one little bite"s since Easter and the taco feed the night before. Today I'm kicking my own butt back into gear and dialing in the diet.

Seems like when TOM rolls around, I get a little loose with the eating, because I figure the scale is gonna give me crap numbers anyway, I guess. I don't think it's really any hormonally driven cravings, I think it's just laziness on my part. I'm going to try to keep it clean next time and see what happens. I feel like I should be doing more to get out of the 170s, now that I seem well clear of the 180s. Time to quit messing around!

I feel like I've got more energy for workouts now, so I may start adding in a second workout a few days a week, try to balance things out...like, the CF workouts at our gym seem to be either metcons (lighter weights, lots of cardio effect), or strictly lifting with heavier weights. So, maybe I can add an evening workout of just running or lifting, depending what we do in the mornings, to get a little more calorie burn and muscle building going on. The CF workouts seem to be helping me get more fit and strong, but I don't feel like I'm getting quite the calorie burn that I was getting before, and I wouldn't mind putting some regular bodypart lifting back in when I can, just because I enjoy doing that some days. I feel like I could handle a little more now, without overtraining.

Shannon in ATL
04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Cheryl - I've had a few too many bites since Easter myself...

I also haven't worked out like I should... I didn't exercise at all last Fri, Sat or Sun, got in a run on Mon, worked out with the Weider and the ball yesterday, but I can tell that there will be nothing today... Made an excuse to not get up this morning and won't get home in time to do it tonight before going back out to a 'sell your old gold' party. We have DSS tonight so can't do it when I get home from the party, either. Gotta get back on track in the AM... I didn't feel well the better part of the weekend, though now I think it was because I was stiff and sore from no exercise... Blah blah, enough whining...

Mel - congrats on the vacation loss!

Nelie - there are a couple of people around here who ride bikes like that on the trails where I run. They always seem to be having a great time!

Elisa - how did the double power workouts go?

I did have fun on the ball yesterday - I'm getting better at the balancing, I can do 20 of the hamstring curl, and can now do two sets of 5 of the pronejacknife. Now I'm going to try adding in this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvncAvg8sk&feature=related We'll see how fast I fall on my face again. :)

Good day everyone!

elisa822
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Shanon - the double power workouts were great, but tiring! And I'm fairly sore today, but in a really good way!! ;) I may try it again next Tuesday since they're my two favourite instructors. I love those Ridgeline Fitness videos by the way.

Speaking of swiss ball exercises, anyone want to try to give me any pointers from moving from the swiss ball knee tuck to the pike? Maybe I am simply lacking the strength...but is it core or upper body strength? Or maybe I don't conceptually get how to do it but I really want to try and can't seem to get my body to do it. Any thoughts?

Cheryl - I have been thinking about the second workouts too (as you can see by yesterday's workouts). I would like to try to do some cardio everyday but I'm not sure if it's sustainable for me...even though I think Mel does it all the time! I'll keep you posted...please do the same. As the weather improves here I think I could work in a run more often after work but I'm not sure.

Mel - You lost weight on vacation? :congrat::cheer2:

Tomato
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Please send some rain my way! It is so horribly dry here that I can invite midwife and she will feel right at home!

Lydia, thanks for the kick in the butt. My eating this week has been squeaky clean (I am borrowing the term from Mel) except for one iced cappucino today (but I asked for milk instead of cream some water before they added the icy slush to make it less sweet. My naturopath wants to stick with decaf because caffeine would inhibit my body's fight with the inflammation but I find that I am very headache prone. So I thought a single capuccino is a lesser evil than two Advils. And it worked.

Yesterday morning, there was hardly anybody upstairs at the gym so I had my fill of the Smith machines and did everything I could. The bar even had the foamy pad (I don't know where it sometimes goes because I cannot find it anywhere) so I could do squats. I cannot stand the bar on my shoulders with the padding.
This morning, I did some cardio on the elliptical. Custom orthotics tomorrow! I can hardly wait.

midwife
04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Whoa, Cheryl, I bow before you!

Tomato!! Dry weather! I'll bring the lotion! BTW, DD is here and cracked up at your "let's salsa"....thought it was funny coming from a Tomato!

jamsk8r
04-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Well, crap. I did not make it through the whole day being angelically good with the eating, after all. I didn't go over my cals or anything, was at my sister's house longer than planned, had already eaten my lunch, got munchy and ate 4 keebler cookies since my son was munching on them. Tomorrow's a new day, right? :frypan:

The extra cardio isn't happening tonight, either, but I'm okay with that. I spent about 2 hours pulling weeds, then 3 more hours transplanting ferns. Digging those up is harder than it looks...the roots are like grass, small but there are a million of them and they are hard to break loose. I broke one shovel, almost broke another, finally figured out a method involving a combo of the shovel and a pickaxe. So, that was a good workout all by itself! I am pooped, and my back muscles are starting to feel the effects of the deadlifts this morning. Rubbing alcohol, tylenol, sleep. :faint:

I'm hoping to practice some front squats and/or cleans tomorrow during my warm-up, just with the pvc and maybe a lighter barbell. I may also ask my trainer if I can use the glute-ham developer to do my sit-ups, maybe try some bar dips (I need something to switch out so I'm not doing push-ups every day).

Mel
04-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Cheryl! Those are huge numbers! Congratulations :)

I finally did cardio (wimpy yesterday, better today) and a short leg workout. I hadn't skied since Saturday, but found my legs were still tired. I'm sore this morning for the first time in a VERY long time. I can also breathe:D a very good thing!

Food has been on- I'm determined to get back into my spring/summer wardrobe. Can't afford new clothes!

Alena, I know SOME would call us wimps, but I can't stand the bar on me either. I ended up buying my own foam roller pad because half the time I couldn't find one at the gym, or they were squished and useless. I guard it carefully.

Rain has FINALLY stopped and there are bleeding heart, epemedium, hyacinths, daffs, and celandine blooming out there. Along with all the cherry, plum and maple trees. Gorgeous! My lawn is now a foot high. :p

Mel

WaterRat
04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Cheryl - I'd say that gardening qualified as some sort of workout. :) I transplanted a ton of irises when we built an addition on our house about 10 years ago - same deal, hard to get out of the ground, and all tangled together (in that case, with lots of grass). I ended up dumping the whole mess into a deep wheelbarrow filled with water and soaking most of the soil off then separating the iris bulbs by hand - the new bed is beautiful though - as you can see in my avatar. :) And you're doing great with CF!

It is sooo nice here today. High 40's bright :sunny: I walked to a meeting at the local coffee shop (my kind of meeting!) and then on to City Hall and back to my office. I'm going for a walk at lunch as well - spring is definitely coming. Biking season can't be far behind. There is still snow on some of the bike trails though, basically anywhere it's shady. Walking downtown is nice because the public works folks have run their street sweepers and gotten all the winter sand off the streets and sidewalks.

Not much going on here. Eating is right on withwhat I'm eating, but I need to rein in the portions, esp at dinner. Sigh. Exercise is variable. Again, it's me. I need to work on getting up earlier on days I have evening commitments (Tues, Thurs, Fri this week). I too want to wear my spring/summer clothes.

Shannon in ATL
04-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Speaking of swiss ball exercises, anyone want to try to give me any pointers from moving from the swiss ball knee tuck to the pike? Maybe I am simply lacking the strength...but is it core or upper body strength? Or maybe I don't conceptually get how to do it but I really want to try and can't seem to get my body to do it. Any thoughts?

Elisa - I can do the knee tuck, at the least the one with that name in the Ridgeline series, but can't do their pike press, either. I'm hoping that the quad extension will help me get up to that one. I feel my legs wobble, which then leads to core instability, then it is flat on my face. Hoping improving the legs will help me stop the cascade failure that leads to face on the floor. :)

elisa822
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Beautiful weather here today :sunny: so I got in a nice run at lunch!

Shannon - I wasn't trying to quite do the Ridgeline pike press, it's just a pike that I'm trying...more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlIg5LnBYiA). That pike press looks extra crazy! I just can't figure out how to get it started...maybe I'll ask one of the instructors at my gym that I know. I'll keep you posted!

Shannon in ATL
04-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Elisa - I gotcha. I have actually done the one in your video. First few tries I lost my balance, it helped when I moved me feet a little farther apart on the ball, I had them tight together at first. Now, I don't think mine were as pretty a form as the one in the video, and I made it a grand total of 4... Do you do your ball exercises with or without shoes? I see pics showing the different ones done both ways...

ETA: I just found this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_i2HsY6to&feature=related) with alternating knee tuck and pike, I think I would break my neck that way...

Tomato
04-16-2009, 05:29 PM
ETA: I just found this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_i2HsY6to&feature=related) with alternating knee tuck and pike, I think I would break my neck that way...

Shannon, I have to try that, that looks interesting. You asked about shoes - when at the gym, I do exercises on the ball with my shoes home but barefoot at home. Never thought about it.

Question for advisory board: My new Oxygen issue arrived yesterday. They are showing barbell deadlifts with mixed grip (one palm facing toward your body, the other one facing away). There is not comment why. So why mixed grip? and should I switch hands in the next set?
I am going to the gym tonight but I don't yet what I am going to do. The last Oxygen is really interesting and I am planning on trying some of the suggested routines. Warm, sunny and DRY here. :cry:

P.S. for midwife: Tell your DD that Tomato is not suicidal. The salsa is meant as the dance, not as "chop me up and make salsa with me". :-)
By the way, I have my $425 custom orthotics in and I maybe I will try if I can salsa for 45 minutes next week.

Mel
04-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Too much browsing on youtube leads to experiments with things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpqazz8dEO0&feature=related). If I'm not on a backboard, I'll let you know how it goes.

I've done the pike on the ball...not sure why you are having problems if you can do the tuck. One of the ways that I had clients work up to it is doing it with your forearms on a bench or platform. Or hold the position as a plank for a while until you can do the pike. If you do the pike successfully, add a shoulder pressin the pike position :devil:

jamsk8r
04-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Mel, thanks! It felt good to break through that 155, which was beginning to feel like a brick wall! Of course, the beast ladies at my gym were pulling 225 or better, so I've got hope for bigger numbers down the line!

Pat, the flowers are beautiful! I didn't realize that was your own place there. Nice! Glad you're seeing a little sunshine!

Alena, as far as I know, mixed grip is supposed to help with control when the weight gets heavy, and you don't have to switch unless you want to. If that's not right, hopefully someone will correct me, as I'm far from being the expert on that one.

----The Crossfit Report follows:

My warm-up:
-About 650 meters rowing...my form is getting better, today I was trying to keep a steady pace, with occasional success.
-20 pull-ups. I did them all with the green band today (one smaller than the one I've been using...my previous best with this band was about 2, total). Today I got the kip down somewhat, and was able to string together 4 in a row a few times. woot! I just rested in between, and did all 20. I'll keep doing this for my warm-up, to try and improve!
-6 on-my-toes push-ups, I think...I'm feeling really weak on these, maybe due to putting the pull-ups first.
-4 knee push-ups to finish that set
-10 floor bent-knee sit-ups
-10 knee push-ups

At this point, I saw a lull in the excitement, and decided to ask my trainer if I could use the glute ham developer (GHD) to do my sit-ups. He had time, so he showed me how to adjust the foot holder thingy, gave me some pointers on the sit-ups, and had me demo that I knew how to do them without hurting myself. I feel like a big kid, now! (well, I did before I got smoked by everybody else on the WOD today) I did some hip extensions, too, and he said I could put those into my warm-up, as well. My next mission is to try dips.

After that, a group was getting ready to go for the workout. I was feeling warmed up, so I jumped in, too.

The WOD today was just evil:
Run 800 meters
50 squats (bodyweight to med ball)
3 rounds for time

My time was 96 hours...lol...okay, my time was 24 mins and change. I really wish I could run faster! I did pretty good with the squats, kept moving as much as possible, but my runs were just really slow. :( Of course, everybody was very supportive and cheering me on to the end, which is always nice!

Shannon in ATL
04-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Mel - I looked at your YouTube clip... I can't even imagine trying that - I'm still trying with no success to do a yoga handstand against the wall, been working at it for about eight months and have made minimal progress. A handstand pushup attempt would most likely kill me, and my will isn't up to date.... :eek: Good luck to you, though!

Mel
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Shannon-the trick is to "walk" up the wall in the first place.

I think today's workout will be dumb stunts on a stability ball :rofl: <----- that's where I'll most likely be!

It's amazing how sore I am from weight workouts after only a week and a half off. I certainly used my legs and core while on vacation, but I guess lats aren't really involved too much in skiing.

Food on track. Scale hasn't moved since I got home :(

Lydia227
04-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Fly by post! I'm still alive and well. Just busy. :dizzy:
Thanks for the link Mel. :devil: I've saved it to my favorites and will give it a go next weeks. :lol3: I think I'm going to ask for a witness or I mean a spotter for this one.

Mel: Oh! and loved the photo of you and your DD. Wow! you two look so much alike. How wonderful. You must hear that a lot though.

Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up over the weekend with all the posts. Had a nice little run this morning and I thought of you Rabbit. :hug: Upper body done and now shower and errands.

Enjoy the :sunny: to all of those who have it today.

midwife
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Forget the witness, Lydia, I would need an ambulance! Impressive!

Shannon in ATL
04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Mel - I never thought about walking up the wall... I'm going to try that... I keep seeing all those 'kick off from downward facing dog' instructions, but I just can't kick off hard enough to shift my center of gravity enough that I don't come right back down where my feet started... Thanks!

jamsk8r
04-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I found this clip the other night...handstand workshop in progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIPXdco1LA

Maybe that will help if you want to turn the handstand around or try some freestanding ones. I haven't gotten brave enough to try the handstand yet! If you have time to kill, google Jerry Hill and/or Crossfit Oldtown...that guy has some concise step by step help on some oly lifts and other skills training. For more on just gymnastics stuff, there's a lot of good free video clips on the crossfit dotcom site under the "exercises and demos" tab, then scroll down or click the link for the "gymnastics" subheading.

Today at CF the WOD was weighted pull-ups, which I can't do, since I can't even do a regular one, so I just worked on my kip with the band. Another lady who works out there offered to help me today. She watched what I was doing and suggested I try a smaller assistance band, since she said I wasn't getting full extension at the bottom (my arms were staying bent the whole time), and that totally worked! I was able to do a full kip with the smaller band, so even though there's less assistance from the band, I was able to get more help from the kipping swing to get upward momentum. I could only string about 2 of them together at once, but it's definitely a big step toward my goal of getting an unassisted pull-up! I noticed today that my grip is much stronger this month than it was last month. I'm not feeling like I'm losing my grip so much, and I am able to re-grip at the top. So, an awesome pull-up day for me today!

Side notes:
I tried the rope climb. I figured out how to lock the rope down on my foot, so I could push with my legs...that part went fine. I was able to pull with my arms pretty well. I was NOT able to get the rope to slide when trying to reposition my legs higher for the next pull, so I'll need to practice that. No rope climb today, but I'm more hopeful after giving it a try.

I also got my first rip from pull-ups today, wow! Just peeled the skin right off, clean as a whistle. Never had that happen before! One of the guys superglued it for me, and that stuff burns...I had no idea. No wonder the dogs try to run off when I have to glue a ripped pad! Now I feel bad, cuz I had no idea it would sting and burn like that...poor dogs!

Let me know how the handstand adventures go, ladies!

jamsk8r
04-19-2009, 03:38 AM
You all must be off having some weekend fun! :)

Had a fun workout this morning at CF. The WOD was:
100 meter sprint
5 Deadlifts (can't remember Rx'd weights, 185 for women, I think, but I pulled 95# today)
AMRAP in 12 minutes (as many rounds as possible)

There were too many of us and not enough weights for all to go, so we broke into groups of 10 at a time. I went with the second group, since we let people go first who had to get to work or other obligations.) The best guy from the first group got 11 rounds exactly. I wanted to try and beat his rounds.

We all did our own individual warm-ups and stretching, then had a short group warm-up. Group 2's warm-up was fun and bordered on the ridiculous...well, no, we crossed over the border by a few miles. Our fearless leader had us skipping, jumping up and "clicking our heels together", then there was some risque booty shaking, windmills, jumping jacks, and some move she assured us would help us increase our bust size, which the teenaged boys in our group sorely needed. After that, we hit the workout, on a mission to kick group 1's butts!

I'm proud to say we dusted those punks! I got 11 full rounds plus the run in before the 12 minutes were up, so I met my goal of getting more than 11 rounds. :carrot:

It was a fun workout, and afterward I got to watch the brand new baby while mom did her group's workout.

On the way home, I stopped by an auto parts store that had the part I needed for the van. A few hours later, I actually got the van running..woot! It's been broken down for I don't remember how long, but a couple of months, so it was very exciting to get it going again! It is running fine, and I took it out for a drive to clear the cobwebs and to make sure the battery was good and charged before I shut it off.

Tomorrow is a rest day. I've got some housework to catch up on, and a few projects that I can tinker with, depending what the weather is like. It is supposed to be sunny, but we'll see what happens.

nelie
04-19-2009, 11:53 AM
My thighs are aching a bit :) Yesterday, I bought a trike. It is a sporty one, rather than a casual trike. It has 27 speeds, which seems like a lot but in trike land 27 speeds isn't as good as a 27 speed road bike. Steep hills can prove a bit difficult but going downhill is crazy fun. Not sure how far we biked yesterday but it was probably around 5 miles of hilly area. My husband cut us off short because he was worried I'd overdo myself :)

jamsk8r
04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Nelie, congrats on the new trike...got a picture of the new machine?

We're getting our sun this morning, so I'm hoping to get some projects done outside today. The scale is finally moving back down, after the evil TOM/Taco/Easter week.

nelie
04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
We went for another bike ride today! Whew, lots of hills and exploring. Really not sure how far we went, further than yesterday and lots of downhill rides.

Cheryl, I don't have a pic of my bike yet but it looks exactly like this one from the manufacturer (same color) except I added mirrors and a rack on the back tire.
http://www.catrike.com/trikes2007/trail/images/T6_jpg.jpg

jamsk8r
04-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Wow, nice rig, Nelie!

Well, I had a good day today. Listened to music with the boy's mp3 player while I did chores. Got my workout clothes and my stinky running shoes washed and dried, put the van back together since the repair work was over, got the garage tidied up, and cleaned the house. Dogs enjoyed following me around today while I worked, and the sun was shining, so a nice relaxing day overall. Dogs are fed and sleeping now, so I need to bring the baby chickens in, get a shower, and get some sleep. Crossfit workout in the morning tomorrow, then another yard work day at my sister's house, more transplanting of ferns and trees, so I'll be getting my exercise tomorrow, for sure!

Mel
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
nelie- that looks like fun! that's what the guy around here has.

Cheryl- Is there anything you can't do ;) ? You are a many talented woman!

Good full body workout and cardio on Saturday...gardening, laundry and the usual on Sunday. I ate weird yesterday to shake of some bloat. It worked, but I'm sick or oranges and chicken. Calories weren't particularly low, but I just felt I needed a does of discipline. My version of a hair shirt :rofl:

Mel

Shannon in ATL
04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I didn't do any formal exercise over the weekend, but I did ten hours of cleaning over Fri-Sun... swept and mopped hardwood (entire downstairs pretty much), vacuumed the stairs/guest room/upstairs rooms, cleaned three bathrooms complete with sweeping/mopping floors, dusted everything that would hold still, did 19 loads of laundry, and cleaned and organized my laundry room. Finally got the various charging stations with their tools mounted on the wall out of the way and off the floor - after a year and a half of being in the house... :o Now, I only have to sort all the mail for the last three months that is stacked in my office and clean off the bar and the mantel and I'll be all done. I vow, again, to never let it pile up that badly again... Right, like that ever works...

I am going to do some swiss ball work and probably some kickboxing when I get home - large blister on my hand from the cleaning that makes picking up things uncomfortable will probably keep me off the Weider, plus I'm really not having a good day so beating on the bag will get out some stress.

Good day everyone!

midwife
04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Wow, Shannon! I'm impressed. I consider it a good day to load the dishwasher, vacuum and if everyone has clean underwear.

Cheryl, you impress me too. How old is your boy?

Cool wheels Nelie! I am very inspired to get back on wheels now. I'm glad you are enjoying it! In fact you have really inspired me. We are going to Paris in about 7 weeks and I found a bicycle tour so I want to feel comfortable enough to do that. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Lydia227
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Nelie: I was thinkin' about you Saturday. :yes: I was out on the trails with my bike and it was such a beautiful day. Difficult ride. It was windy and I'm shall we say slightly deconditioned from not riding outdoors all winter. Basement rides on the trainer are NOT the same. :snooty: But it felt so good to be out and to worry about a sunburn. I was hoping that you were able to get your bike and find some fun too. :hug: Nice bike by the way. One of my neighbors has one of those too. Actually, I think the guy has like five or six different types of bikes I had never seen anywhere else before he rode past my house.

Mel: Oranges and chicken. Well, at least it isn't complicated. :^:

Cheryl: You wore me out from your post. Even your dogs were tired. :lol: It sounds like you had a very satisfying weekend. Great job with the van. I'm really impressed. :D

Shannon: 19 loads of laundry?! Those are the days when I would wish for three washing machines and dryers in the house. Laundry. I only have two little boys but I swear between the four of us we do at least three loads a day. If I skip one day things start to get ugly.

:sssh: I skipped my workout this morning. I'm tired. Really tired. I drove all the way over there (15 minutes:rolleyes:) pulled into the parking lot and realized that I forgot my water bottle. That was all the excuse I needed to call it a day. It's raining, I have other work to do, you know the excuses. I think this is one of the few times I honestly can say that I just needed the rest.

Last week I did have some lab work done and found that my TSH levels were high again. Hypothyroid chick here :wave: Thank goodness we have meds for this.

I know that's why I feel a little washed out today. Shoot I couldn't even carry on a conversation with my son's teacher without my eyes feeling glassy and my face hurting. :lol: The ambition for my workout is there, the head want's to do it, but the body says no way. So, I'm listening to what it's telling me and taking a nap. :lol:

Have a great afternoon everyone.

Shannon in ATL
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Nelie - the trike does look pretty cool!

Cheryl - I forgot that you repair your own car... wow...

Midwife - I love Paris! The bike tour I took there was pretty cool, there is also a boat tour that you can take that is phenomenal!

Lydia - sometimes everyone needs a break!

Mel - your hairshirt food day made me snicker a little, don't know why. Glad it worked! :)

Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed by all the laundry for just the two of us with a part time child in the house... We hadn't washed any in what I thought was two weeks, turns out is was a little over three... We were both out of clean undies, had a pile of dirty DSS clothes, all the good towels were dirty, so I went ahead and did the bathroom rugs and sheets while I was doing...

midwife
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok, ladies, I need your input.

As most of you know, I started weight lifting at a private gym in Feb 2008 and I have learned so much. The trainers there are fabulous and I have gotten fabulous results. Several of my friends have joined and it is FUN! I love the atmosphere, I love my workouts, I love the trainers and the owner/main trainer has given me a very very excellent rate for DD & I. All that being said, the very excellent rate is over $350 a month, and so it's a chunk of change. I know it is worth every penny, it is just getting harder to fork over the pennies. Her gym has gotten a LOT busier lately and it is harder to get in to work out at times that work for me. I still make sure I get my sessions, but it takes some creativity and shuffling on my part, DH's part, and the kids' part. Now I have learned a lot between the gym, books, and of course this fabulous forum and I'm pretty sure I could put together some nice full body workouts and rotate them through, but I don't know as much as the trainers do....I'm not a true beginner but I am very much an active learner.

Our budget is changing drastically with adding DD to car insurance, looking at college for her in a year or so (even though she is Miss SmartyPants, she'll need som cash and a car), my 14 yo DS wants to start lifting weights and there is no way I could afford to take him to the gym too.

So, I am considering changing things up. There is a Jewish Community Center very close to my house and they would charge $88 a month for my whole family. They have a full size pool (which would be better for me this summer if I want to include some swimming cardio versus our small inground pool). We would all get 4 personal training sessions for free (including 14 yo DS) and they write up a plan for each of us. They have spin classes and yoga and those sound fun and pickup basketball games and organized sports for the kids. So it would be a great thing all around for the family at a fraction of the price.

I know that the rates at the private gym have gone up a lot and we are getting a fabulous deal and I have a feeling that if I leave, I won't ever get that rate again. I've really enjoyed getting to know the trainers and I would miss them a lot if I left, but realistically, once I leave I doubt I would afford to come back (I know people there who are paying twice what we pay).

I'm scared to cut the cord. Can I create and continue a good strength plan? DH would be thrilled to cut that cost out of our budgets, I guess I just need some advice. I know that lots and lots of people lift weights just fine sans a private gym. I think it is the right thing to do, I'm just a little nervous and a little excited and a little sad. Change is hard for me.

ETA: The Community Center has a really nice free weights section and almost all the equipment that the private gym has. It's nice and clean and has good hours, too.

kaw
04-20-2009, 05:21 PM
:wave: everyone! Long time, no "see."

Midwife: I know that you think you are already getting a fabulous deal, but is there any way that you'd feel comfortable talking to the private gym owners about your predicament? In this economic climate, pretty much anything is negotiable. Besides, if I were them, I'd rather make a little less profit now than risk losing a customer for the long haul. They probably couldn't come all the way down the community center rates, but there is a lot of room between $88/month and $350/month!

Be strong,
Kim

sportmom
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
The laundry stuff baffles me. I do 3 loads a week, ONCE a week!, of clothes....whites, adult colors, and kid colors. Sheets I'm counting separately. I have a super capacity w/d and 2 kids who are into bigger clothes now that take up more space. Maybe you all should look into that!!!! :dizzy: Or maybe I'm just really good at making the kids wear their outer-clothes more than once before washing, but that doesn't really work with dd1 who's pretty active. But still, laundry every day? There's just no way that would ever happen! I don't even run the dishwasher every day. See, my efficiency leaves me more time for things like vacuuming lampshades! ;)

Lydia, might have a chance to visit THE Ohio State University this summer - that's you, right? DD has a swim meet there over July 4th weekend. Yeah, obviously we're still thinking thru that one........lol :D

Tomato
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Cheryl,
The handstand workout video had me drop my jaw ... I wish I could do that! I will have to try it one day (if I hit the gym at 2 am when there is nobody in the studio).

Nelie,
My goodness, what a sailboat! Wow!

Midwife,
Do I understand correctly that the gym is costing $350 a month? That's a lot of moola. I understand your sadness. Very tough choice, I don't envy you having to make it. But Kim had an excellent suggestion, can you negotiate a better deal? I guess you would need to determine at what rate it is acceptable. Good luck with the decision!

I am waiting for my stomach to digest my late lunch/early dinner - I was so starved when I got home (I skipped one meal at work as I was too busy) and I had to eat. I am giving myself another 20 minutes and then I am loading Jackie Warner's DVD into the DVD player and I will do a 60 min full body session. I neglected the gym on the weekend (a bad case of TOM).

But, I am so happy - it has been raining all day!

Mel
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
midwife- How many sessions a week do you do? I'm assuming that they are all one-on-one with a trainer. Is that correct? If you can afford it, I don't think there is anything that can beat one on one training at a private gym with a great trainer, but I'm biased. Unless you are really good at pushing yourself, there are things that tend to get dropped without a trainer and in a more public setting: balance work, plyometrics, the "weird" stuff. This can also be the most fun stuff. If you are confident and don't care if people stare, you'll probably do it anyway.

Between all the great books out there, youtube, and this forum, I'm sure you'd do fine on your own. On the other hand, what about cutting your private session to once a week and working out on your own the rest of the time?

It's rainy and COLD all day here. Quite a change from the weekend. At least I don't have to water the shrubs and plants that I transplanted. All the bike talk has made me want to start riding to work again. I need to come up with a plan for transporting brief case, gym bag, change of clothes, and food. I guess I could just leae the gym bag in my office most of the week (and to be honest, also the briefcase :rofl:), but I do need food and work clothes. And hairspray!

Fran- I've got the drive to THE Ohio State University down to 7 1/4 hours from here. I think it's a tad less from where you are. It's really not a bad drive.

Lydia- Are you on a medication roller coaster with your thyroid? Sorry to hear you are having problems again. I've been hypo and hyper- and they both are miserable. (But at least I lost weight when I was hyper..I was crazy and hurt all over, but I was SMALLER!!!! :p) ) I hope you get your dosage figured out quickly.

Hi kaw :wave: What's up in your world?

Mel

WaterRat
04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi :wave:

Just catching up after a busy weekend spent mostly away from home/computer.

Nelie - the new trike is cool

Cheryl - your weekend wore me out. :lol:

Midwife - hmmm, except for the personal training, the community center wins hands down. Is there any chance you could just schedule a couple of sessions/month at the old place? Or pay-as-you-go. We pay $80/couple for our gym, though we have no pool and neither of us plays handball (which they do have). If I want to take classes, it'd be $10-20 more per month, but right now they don't have any that interest me that happen when I'm not at work.

And laundry - usually 2-3 loads a week (whites/lights, dark, jeans) plus sheets and towels. That's for 2 adults. In gardening season, DH will take off his jeans off on the deck, let them dry and then knock the dirt off and wear them again. :)

I've been beating my eating habits back into submission and feeling better for it. Weather has been great here for the last few days. Cold mornings, but :sunny: and warmer afternoons and evenings - in the 50's! :lol: DH got the bikes out this weekend, and he went for a ride. I need to find time for that but I have a short meeting tonight, and another on Wed night, and then I leave THursday morning for a church related meeting that goes on through Sat. (I'm a rep from our church to a Synod Assembly)

ETA: Mel, I leave my gym bag in my office a lot, just have several changes. Does your gym have lockers to rent? Ours does, though I'm on a waiting list. Being able to leave an extra set of stuff there, and your toiletries is a real convenience.

Tomato
04-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Workout done.
I am loving the new Yoplait citrus yogurt - so good when mixed with cottage cheese. My tummy would like more but yikes it's 10 pm.
Lydia, I only skimmed the posts and somehow missed your thyroid problem. Hey, that's very common in greyhounds! (ok, that was a lame joke that was supposed to cheer you up). I hope it will be under control soon.
I better get horizontal - core workout at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow.

jamsk8r
04-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Morning, ladies! :coffee:

Don't be too impressed with my talents at car repair and such. If you're single long enough, well, SOMEbody has to do this stuff, and I've never had cash to blow, so if there's some way I can find a book or instructions online, or just figure it out by trial and error, I tend to do that, and save paying somebody 80 bucks an hour, KWIM?

Yesterday was a good day for exercise, that's for sure. The CF workout was "Helen": 3 rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
21 Kettlebell swings (36# Rx'd for women, I had to sub a 35# DB, since there were only 3 KBs in that size at our gym)
12 Pull-ups (I used the biggest rubber band for this one. In retrospect, I probably should have gone one smaller, but for time, it worked out, since I finished about the same time as everyone else.)

In the second round, I was half delirious, and after about 17 pull-ups, realized I was supposed to do only 12, not 21, lol, but I still finished in 15:04, which means I did pretty decent on the runs.

After the CF workout, I spent about an hour at home, letting dogs out, putting the chickens outside for the day, watered all critters and plants, then headed to my sister's house for some yard work. She's paying me, so I can earn some extra money...gotta support my new CF habit, lol!

I finished transplanting all the ferns, putting them under the evergreen trees by her back deck, and they look really good! Ferns can be fickle about being moved, but the ones I planted the other day were looking good, so I think they will live. Next I moved a couple of shrubs, not too bad except for the berry bush, which had roots from (heck), which involved a LOT of pickaxe and cursing to get out of the ground.

We finished the day helping my brother-in-law clean up tools and scrap wood from his project, which was replacing the decking and expanding their front porch. I scored some firewood from that, so the boy and I can hopefully have a campfire and marshmallow sacrifice this week, if the weather holds. :)

Okay, time for me to put dogs away and hit the road. Please let it be oly lifting today...please...please...

Lydia227
04-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't even run the dishwasher every day. See, SERIOUSLY?! Yep, full by the evening too. I think the laundry thing is because the boys attract mud and grass stains on their knees and the youngest one is usually covered in past sauce by the end of the day. We also have no room to hang towels after showers so everyone gets a new towel with each shower. (small 1950's style ranch) Welcome to the world of inefficiency here. :)

See, my efficiency leaves me more time for things like vacuuming lampshades! ;) :lol3: Oh. And I KNOW that ain't happen' :rofl:

Lydia, might have a chance to visit THE Ohio State University this summer - that's you, right? DD has a swim meet there over July 4th weekend. Yeah, obviously we're still thinking thru that one........lol :D PLEASE PLEASE go to the swim meet! My gym is just down the street from the University! I would love to meet you and workout together. It would also be fun to introduce some of my virtual friends to the owners and a few of the trainers. :D If you rather not work out then I'm great for a ff latte. I'll take you to the world renown coffee roasters in Grandview, Stauffs. Mel knows all about this place.

Mel: You have to arrange a visit then too! I'm sure your DD would love a visit during July 4th weekend right? We throw a great parade here as well. Okay, your probably not into neighborhood floats and fire trucks but a group workout and/or a trip to Stauffs would be fun.

Elana: This is your chance to come for a visit too. Check it out! Greyhounds have this problem too. Great. I'm half greyhound. Probably more like the kind that can't race anymore. :lol:

As a side note I am feeling a whole lot better today. I needed a little extra sleep but yeah, having meds adjusted for hypothyroid takes a few weeks before you feel yourself again. I think the interval work I did on the treadmill this morning did a whole lot for me today. Exercise really is medicine. Not a replacement but certaintly works well with it.

Midwife: I empathize with your situation. I believe that you will be fine at the community center. You may be surprised at how much knowledge you will be taking with you. But check the place out and make certain that you will be comfortable there if it is your choice. Are there other people working out the same way you want to exercise?

There are many ways to continue learning through online videos and hiring a trainer every few months to change things up for you.

Change is difficult. I went from a Y to a training center and that was difficult for me. The opposite scenario from you. At the Y, I did my own thing, knew a few people, and felt comfortable there. It was where I had my success. I was afraid that leaving there would somehow jinx me and I would regain the weight I lost. It took me a couple of months to adjust. The first week or two I seriously wanted to just go back to the Y or at the very least carry two memberships. But after a month I've acclimated quite well. It just took me some time to create my pattern and uncover and experience all the benefits of this new gym. I'm very happy with my choice but again, it took me time.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Have a great afternoon everyone!
Tomorrow is Earth Day, so go plant something. (Cheryl, I know you already have this covered.) :D

jamsk8r
04-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, Lydia, I think I've got that covered, lol. However, I have some tomato and other plants that are ready to move outside. :)

Today was a fun morning at the CF gym. It was somebody's birthday, which means a special birthday WOD. Apparently, this lady was 180 years old, since that's how many reps we did:
3 rounds for time of:
15 Deadlifts (Rx'd 155 for women, I scaled to 115 lbs)
15 Lawnmowers, which is an evil one-legged balancing act involving a DB, and you have to do 15 each leg...Rx'd was 25 lbs, I think, I used 15# since it was my first time trying this exercise.
15 Weighted Sit-ups (using the same DB, so 15# again)

My time was 14:32, or something like that. This was a lot tougher than it looks, but at least it wasn't running! :D

Mel
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Lydia- I'm sure my dd would agree to a mom visit over July 4th weekend. That is her birthday (or pretty close) and I usually spoil her rotten if we are together. I just checked to wee when the Dublin Irish festival is this year- too bad is at the end of the month. I really enjoyed that last year. I'll have to see what the summer brings :)

Leg workout today- I'm exhausted! I think my cold is coming around for one last hurrah.

Food has been POP and clothes are fitting that didn't fit two and a half weeks ago :)

Cheryl- although not single, I do the same. I do draw the line at major car repair, tho. But there are a few things where what I learned was it really is worth it to pay :rofl: My attempt at upholstering a sofa weren't great, and the garage door lift that I installed always scared me to death.

Mel

midwife
04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
We'll be in TN over the 4th of July. Is that close enough to drop by? :lol:

midwife
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and advice re: the gym situation. The truth is I do love it and I think I will keep doing it as long as we can. I actually talked to DD about my thoughts and pointed out she could get a car if we changed gyms. She said she would rather stay at the private gym....I wonder where she gets it! What I appreciate so much about this forum is that you guys get how important it is.

Mel, it is 3 hrs a week and is usually 1:2 or 1:3 trainer/trainee ratio though I have been there at times where it is just me and 2 trainers (which is less fun than it sounds!)

Lydia227
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Midwife: TN is close compared to how far you usually are Ohio. If you want to stop in then come on over. :wave: Wow, so your DD would rather workout in a training studio than have her own car. Good. For. Her. :hug: That would have been a tough decision for me as a teen. The experience and the skills she develops during this time at the studio will transfer over is so many different ways during her adult life. Great job Mom!

***ADVICE NEEDED HERE, IT'S LONG, SORRY***
Fun but crazy workout this morning. I began with functional training exercises for an hour, threw in some running intervals on an incline for 30minutes, then added 15 minutes of heavy lifiting

Here's the thing. I only feel like I really go into muscle failure when I'm lifting heavy. It's a feeling that I strive for because I'm familiar with it. With the functional movements I really don't feel like I tap into real muscle failure so much as I just fatigue, run out of energy to continue (wall throws, etc) Kind of like it's anaerobic like running too fast or cycling too fast but still not really hitting the muscle kind of feeling. Does this make sense to anyone?

I prefer the lifting to failure feeling because I know what to expect. It concerns me that the functional training doesn't have this same feeling for me. Maybe I just need to learn how it's different and just go with it. I just like to have that muscle burning feeling that I did something immediately after and I'm not exactly getting that all the time. It is fatiguing though. It causes me to wonder if what I'm doing is as effective as lifting heavy. :chin: just a thought.

Here's what I did:

Wall Ball throws
ball squat and toss overhead,
ball throw downs: 2 sets 30 reps #30lbs.

Push ups off a raised aerobic step (8 risers each side) 3 set of 10,
Iron cross squat with 10 lb dumb bells 2 sets of 10.
Cable cross overs (weight unknown, it's not marked.) 2 sets of 10.

Oh, yeah, and I began the first attempt of the shoulder push up. :lol: Well, I got my self up along the wall and hung out there for 30 seconds. Felt like I was going to throw up but I think that is part of the acclimation process right?

30 minutes of treadmill intervals: 15% incline, running 5.5 for 60 seconds, rest 60 seconds, run 60 seconds (continue for 5 minutes) Then walking with 5% incline at 3.5 for five minutes then back to the incline running again. I did this for the 30 minutes session.

Back into the weight room:
chest presses 35# 2 sets of 10,
lat rows with 40# for one set of 10,
Flyes 25# one set of 10. and then declared myself done. (ran out of time)

Now, I know what I did was effective for fat loss because I was freaking hungry when I left the gym. Ate breakfast and it still wasn't enough. I had to add a few more egg whites into the mix and a protein bar before I could feel better. I also felt so fatigued that I needed a nap for 45 minutes afterward. Does this happen to anyone else here too? The need to feed and nap immediately after a session like this?

Cheryl: Your CrossFit experience might also be helpful here. How do you generally feel after one of your workouts energy wise the rest of the day? Do you need to rest immediately after or can you just carry on the rest of the day without noticing the effects. I think the yogi's have something here with the Shivasana at the end of the workouts and I excuse my need for it because of that. :lol: But seriously, in the real world, people do these workouts before going into their jobs for the rest of the day. I just know I would fall flat on my face by 9:00am. :faint:

Sorry I'm rambling here.

sportmom
04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Lydia, I love that incline interval session on the tm! A good recipe.

I can't compare my need to nap to yours because you get up in the dark and I prefer to sleep ... past then into the light! :D But I do know that I will get really low energy/drowsy after lifting - about an hour later. I also think it is related to low calorie as well. My problem is that there is nothing I LOVE enough on BFL to want to keep eating large portions of it beyond the palm size. No free flowing pasta bowls here! So I eat my thing, and usually kinda still hungry, and then just do more of the same 3 hours later. I just thought it was how I was supposed to feel on BFL. I suppose if someone was cooking the food for me though and had it ready, it would be alot more appealing to keep on going.

ETA: I actually really get cold after lifting - about an hour, and after my recovery snack. I put on a fleece pullover and everything. It's like my muscles are cooling down and I'm colder than before I started. Will have to see if this keeps up even in the summertime.

BTW, Columbus is 6.5 hrs away according to goog. Trying to convince dh who is not on board. Part of the problem is that dd would be required to take the bus and stay in a group room with other teammates. Just not sure I'm ready to do that quite yet with a 9 yo, altho she tells me we can just follow the bus! It's actually pretty much straight out I70 which is walking distance from my house. Maybe..........

Mel
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Lydia- I think the functional stuff you are doing just isn't hard enough for you! You need to get outside and push a truck or pull a weight sled. I'm not entirely kidding:dizzy:

Why not mix it up? Those ball throws are a LOT harder after you've just done a set of chest presses, or pre-exhaust for the chest presses with the ball throw downs. I've gone to super-setting a heavy lift with a plyometric exercise using the same muscles to either burn out or pre-exhaust.

Here are some examples:
T stabilization pushups/chest press or fly
bear walks/shoulder press
box jumps/squats or leg press
leg press/jump squats
skater's squat with a medicine ball/single dumbbell squat/ lateral jumps

lol, I tried the handstand shoulder press today also. I walked up the wall and dipped maybe 3 inches and came back to starting position. Just stayed there for about 30 seconds, probably looking stupid. walked down the wall and admired my shoe prints :rofl: I can do about 8 in an pike position with my toes on a stability ball, but this is a LOT harder!!!!

Shoulders today and stupid tricks with walls and balls :) I can now go from all fours on a ball to upright pretty much every time. :carrot:

Mel

Shannon in ATL
04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi guys!
I was exhausted this afternoon when I got home from my seminar, sat on the bed to take off my shoes and woke up on my side almost an hour later... So, no strength training today. I have it on my schedule for tomorrow AM.

I was able to do five of the quad extension/pike on my ball on Monday. Added in a press on the last one - I can get down nice and slow, and about halfway back up. I have a hard time balancing on my toes, though, which didn't help with that effort.... I'll keep at it, though.

I read everyone's posts, but no time to respond tonight. Have to run and finish a court answer that has to be filed by Thursday...

Good evening all!

Depalma
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Lydia, you are studying for your NASM CPT now right? Are they still promoting the OPT method? If so, what Mel is describing is a lot like what you are or will be learning. Unless they changed things up, Phase 3 Stabilization Equivalent Training and Phase 6 Elastic Equivalent Training is a lot like Mel is describing with Strength exercise first then the stabilization (Phase 3) or Power (Phase 6) exercise second.

So Mel's T-stabilization pushup / Chest Press for example would become Chest Press / T-Stabilization pushup for an appropriate NASM Stabilization Equivalent Training combo.

Likewise Mel's leg press / jump squat example would be an example of a combo used in what NASM calls (or called..if they no longer do so) elastic equivalent training.

Remember, you have to remember what the adaptation or effect is that you are seeking. Light functional movements are great for corrective exercise for people who need to learn how to move correctly such as those with muted hip function who make every hip extension movement a low back movement or as a warmup, where they serve to reinforce movement patterns while preparing the muscles for heavier work. For some people, they are unneccessary while for others they should be predominant part of the workout.

If you already move well, outside your warmup, you have no need for the lighter functional movements. Movements can be both functional and heavy. Nothing is more functional in my opinion, than squats and deadlifts, and those, of course, can certainly be done extremely heavy.

As for wanting to take every set to failure, you need to back off once and awhile. You need to be able to recover from your workouts in order for the appropriate adaptations to take place and that becomes very difficult when you always go to failure. Remember: The goal is to stimulate not annihalate (like I probably did to that spelling). I think Mel's suggestions are great as they not only allow you some heavy work that you are seeking but also promote stabilization, power, and strength and/or hypertropy.

Lydia227
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Mel: Thanks for the workout for the rest of the week. :D Great suggestions and it make total sense. I will pre-exhaust tomorrow! Can't wait. :devil: (I'm still not going to push trucks around the parking lot. Not that it hasn't been done at this gym by others in the past but it really is an image they are trying to get away from.) :lol:

BTW: I'm still on all fours on the ball. I get upright for less than three seconds then forward again. I do get my arms up overhead. Very theatrical. :lol: It's a blast trying but I could end up eating a lot of my gym time trying to perfect this move.

Depalma: So you know a little something about the NASM? I haven't purchased the books. Yep. I know get busy. Thanks for the phase descriptions. I am vaguely familiar with this but not nearly enough.

Ach. Backing off from my workouts. Cognitively, I know to do this. Totally understand why. This is hard to do. I see someone else working really hard through their workout and I just really have a difficult time not doing the same. I have had a few occasions where my motivation was low. I'm sure it stems from a need for recovery. ~sigh~ Workout smarter not harder....That needs to be my next goal. I'm leaning toward the 3 day a week full body functional style training. I've tried to do it five days a week with yoga on the sixth but it's too much. There is a lot of cross over in upper and lower workouts for it to be every day. On my off days I could do ss cardio, yoga, core work, etc. It's just hard to let go of what has worked for me in the past.

Fran: I get cold too. I have a wonderful fleece pullover that lives in my kitchen just for my post workout breakfast. Oh. And congratulations to you :hug: I can't wait to learn your results of your challenge.

Mel and Depalma, and Fran, thanks so much for taking time to share your experiences. I've printed off your replies so that I can keep my head straight about this for the next few weeks. :cool: It's so helpful to have a place where others understand this madness. :^:

More work to do here. Don't even ask. :s:

Have a great evening everyone.

Depalma
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I had the opportunity to read a version of the NASM CPT manual from about 2004-2005 and view the videos that came with them. Not sure if they've changed their model since then, though. So, I have some familiarity with the Optimum Performance Training Method that they use (or used at that time anyway). I've read it over but hadn't studied it, so there is a lot I'm sure I have not retained.

jamsk8r
04-24-2009, 04:00 AM
Lydia, sorry for the late reply. I agree with Mel and Depalma, you need to lift heavier in there, and mix it up a bit. My best advice would be to scope out some workouts from the crossfit mainsite, which has some combos like this, and give them a try or just get some ideas for your own workouts.

If it's a "metcon" like a girl-named WOD or hero WOD, you should be laid out on the floor at the end of it. If you're not, use more weight next time you do a similar rep scheme, or push yourself to do it faster, something like that. Still, even with that, it depends what you're going for, as Depalma said. Some days I go all out, some days I'm doing an exercise that's new to me, so I focus more on getting the form correct, and am not going for max intensity.

If I know the movement well, then I tend to go as hard and fast as I can, because that's how crossfit is...you always lift as heavy as you can for that rep scheme, and you always go as hard and/or fast as you can without your form breaking down too much. A few ugly reps near the end are okay, just a sign of intensity. If you're too fast or too perfect, you could probably go heavier with the weights next time or push yourself harder. However, if your form was to go to heck on the first round/set, then of course it's too heavy, so you'd take some off before continuing.

Everything else on the crossfit mainsite is pretty much a recovery workout: the max rep lifting days, longer runs, 2K row, etc. I know you're not "doing crossfit", but I think it could give you some ideas relative to what Mel suggested.

Okay, I've got to get some sleep. I might not have answered all your questions. If that's the case, let me know, and I'll do so when I am not so tired. I've been going all day and the brain cells are misfiring at this point. :faint:

ETA: just wanted to say, I'm not laid out after every workout, six days a week. At our CF gym, we tend to just have one or two of those killer metcons each week. The rest are about 2 max rep lifting days and/or skills focus days, with random running or shorter workouts (like 10 mins or less) that leave you tired and breathing hard, but you recover after a few minutes. Daily soreness is a given, and sometimes I wake up feeling like I'm about 83 years old and my "everything" hurts, but it's not really "lying on the floor" workouts every single day.

Lydia227
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Cheryl: Great information about intensity levels in your CrossFit workouts. That really helps so much. So when I need to lay myself out on the floor I look for a Metcon. Got it.

I am also learning a lot of new movements as well which is probably why I'm feeling a little worked. Not using heavy enough and just trying to figure it all out.

I did speak with someone who has had a similar experience as me. She shared that she has lost a little definition as well but that overall her body in much more functional "coordinated" in cross talking is how I would interpret it. This is my big fear. I do not want to lose definition. Here's what I decided to do. Have a one day a week where I do all functional. Still do my upper and lower split on the other four days and yoga on the sixth day. After a month I'll switch it around and do functional three days a week with cardio and yoga for another month. (maybe) Then switch back again.

Through all of my whining I must admit that I HAVE gained strength since February. Today I did some straight heavy lifting on the bench just to compare. I was able to complete a set of ten bicep curls with the 25# which I could not do for over a year prior to February. I'm finding that I am lifting heavier with two to three fewer reps in only two sets instead of three. Just an interesting observation.

So for functional training I did this today. Sick and twisted fun. I wanted to do it twice through but only got as far as the crawls the second time through before I was done. Loved the sandbag move. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3RWNt46Sk&feature=channel_page

Have a great afternoon everyone!

jamsk8r
04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Lydia, glad that made some kind of sense. I was literally falling asleep at the computer when I wrote that, lol. That workout looks long. I'm pretty sure I'd have taken an hour to get through ONE round!

I'm a little behind in the CF report this week, sorry. I've been working at my sister's place almost every day, so I just haven't had time or brains left for the computer, between the CF workouts, taking care of the basics here, then yard work all day and getting home after dark, and skating in there twice this week. I've never been so happy to see a rest day in my life! Of course, I have a whole list of chores backed up at home to do today, so it will be more of a mental rest than a physical one, lol.

Here's the short version of the CF report from Weds on (I think I already put up Tuesday's birthday workout, which, BTW, pretty much crippled me and everyone else at the gym for the rest of the week, thus we had a LOT of recovery WODs this week):

Weds: Overhead Press (aka shoulder press) 3-3-3
45-45-45
55-55-55
65-65-65
75-75-75 (3RM)
80F-80-80F (got the middle one only, F=failed on other attempts)
80-80-80F (got the first two on this second attempt at 80 lbs...woot!, but 75 lbs it is for the 3 rep max today...I was pretty beat up, so maybe I'll get more next time)

Thurs:
10 mins of Skills practice before the workout:
Practice Handstands/Handstand Push-ups, or Ring Dips
(I can do neither, so my trainer started me with trying to hold myself up on the rings with my feet just shy of touching the floor...much harder than I thought it would be! I managed a few seconds each time.)

then the workout:
63 seconds L-Sit (accumulated...so you can break it up any way you need to...I subbed tuck sits for this, since I'm not all that yet)
21 Pull-ups (green band for me)
45 sec L-sit
15 Pull-ups
27 sec L-sit
9 Pull-ups

My time was 9:41.

Fri:
Back Squat 5-5-5 Across (same weight for all three sets)
warm-up weights, 5 reps each (just one set of 5 each weight):
40 (all the 45# bars were in use)
then the work set:
70-70-70
This isn't my max or anything. I am still learning to do the back squat correctly, so the trainer said to stick here and we worked on my form. I think I did a lot better this time than ever before, so I was happy. It's starting to click, finally!

Sat:
5 rounds for time of:
3 Muscle ups (can't do those, so subbed 9 pull-ups, green band, each round)
10 Power cleans (95# Rx'd for women, I scaled to 65#)

My time was 11:31 (or something like that). I'd been hoping to work on cleans some more, as the movement from the floor has been difficult for me to coordinate in the past. I feel like I finally, finally got it down in this workout, and my trainer said they looked good, so this workout gets a big WOOT!

That's it for the crossfit report. I hit a new low this week: 173.0 lbs! Twice, even! Plus, I am definitely getting some definition in my shoulders and my waist is shrinking, because my new pants are getting loose! Maybe I will be looking all hot and buff by this time next year! :crossed:

jamsk8r
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Lydia, meant to say, I think your plan sounds like a good one. You've got to look forward to your workouts, and you've got to feel like you're getting the results you want, IMO. So, I think that your plan is a good one for holding onto the muscle def, while keeping up on your functional/balance/flexibility work. Let us know how the new plan works out, and keep us posted on your workouts. I like to hear what everyone is doing for workouts, since I have some freedom to add things to my warm-ups for skills practice and such. I really need to buckle down on my push-ups...I've been avoiding those this week, as my rhomboids/neck have been knotted up and painful, so just holding my head up kills me in the prone position.

Lydia227
04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Cheryl: Love the L-sits. Perhaps I'll give those a try this week too. I think your overhead press looks impressive. I haven't tried it at those weights. I've only used an unloaded bar for 10 reps. :o Something for me to look forward to doing. ;)

It's now been a couple of days since I've done the workout that I posted. Yoga was yesterday. I got sat on in child's pose. :lol: Anyway. I am having knots in my neck and traps from the moves in the video too. Again, we do these things because why...? Oh yeah, our health. :lol3:

Hope everyone is outside enjoying the some sunshine where they are. I spent both afternoons this weekend at birthday parties. Passed up pizza and cake at the first one and cupcakes at the second one. I totally caved with a bag of pretzels when I got home. :dizzy: First rule of preventing a binge... DON'T KEEP IT IN THE HOUSE! Darn. I know this. Okay maybe it was a planned binge because I truly knew what I was doing when I picked up the back from the grocery. Nope, it wasn't for the kids. They could care less about pretzels. They were mine and I knew it. That and an extra bottle of mustard. ~sigh~ I WILL NOT DO THIS AGAIN. It's just that simple. And it's just that difficult. :^:

sportmom
04-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Lydia, so you're human and not immune to an occasional food-based treat. Pretzels? It could have been sooooo much worse ;), so focus on the positive there!!

OK, who are our tennis players? I know there are some of you - I think?? THe pool we finally got into has tennis as well. I've signed the kids up for camp and in their age group it says these kids should have been exposed to tennis. So I'm trying to 'expose' them over the next 2 months :D Oy, it's a hard sport. I played a little bit in high school, umm 30 years and 50 lbs ago. Somehow, I feel better in shape now than I did then :dizzy: but getting out of bed the next morning is a lot harder than it was back then! I think I need to find me some clay courts instead of hard courts. The place we're going has both, 2 clays, I bet they're in high demand from the folks with lots of time of their hands who have older joints that mine (nice way of saying retirees!) But we had fun. The kids are picking things up nicely and dh and I had the chance to volley a few back and forth. Any hints appreciated - like, if I keep up, should I make my reservation now for knee replacements in 5 year? lol

Mel
04-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Fran- I played tennis 3 times a week at my heaviest. The only damage I did was because I'm too competitive to ignore the low percentage shots and near killed myself to make shots that I couldn't possibly get back into position to return. Hard to run when you are face down or hanging from the fencing :rofl:
Just enjoy it! Being strong will make you so much better a player than those who just play tennis and walk in the morning :)

Lydia- I do the "planned" binges all too frequently also. I know exactly what I'm doing.... As you said, it's that simple, and that hard.

I had NO gym time this weekend. Lots of yard work yesterday, and today was a total day off. Road rally with dh in the morning (I 'm sunburned!) and shopping at the outlets with a friend in the afternoon. Came home a did batch cooking. Too busy to overeat. A perfect day :dizzy: The weekend would have been even better if I hadn't had to set my alarm both days.

Cheryl- congrats on the form improvements! Be careful of your neck-- Why does everything hurt so much?

Last week of April coming up. It feels like July here!

Mel

4rabbit
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi ladies,
I've been mia for the past weeks, another case of LGITW (life got in way). I had tons of yardwork, teaching for 3 days, a 25% layoff at work (I'm staying), and I surprised myself by hiring a scaffold last saturday, putting it up in my stairwell, and ripping out the hideous wood ceiling that was at 5 m high over my staircase. I plan to paint my upstairs woodwork & landing this week, and I also have to go to work today, tomorrow & wednesday. Thursday we celebrate the queens birthday and we have the day off. I have not weighed and I'm afraid what the scale will tell me. This will also be a tough week for me because DS and DD are away with XH and NL and I miss them very much. I have to keep out of the fridge but I find it difficult.

It was nice to read about all your stuff, but I cannot reply to all of them.
have a great day all,
Rabbit

midwife
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi Rabbit!

Can I pick your brain? (And anyone else who wants to chime in) In 6 weeks we are going to France (eep!!) I have never been to Europe. This is a dumb question, but....would it be odd to bring my running shoes. I mean, do people run in Paris and other large European cities, or would I be a clueless American if I did?

Like I said, probably a dumb question!

jamsk8r
04-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Morning, ladies! (still barely here on the PNW coast)

I'm still waking up with the tight muscles between the shoulder blades, which makes getting out of bed some kind of circus trick, lol, but once I get to the gym, and do some shoulder freeing movements with the pvc pipe, I always feel better. I sucked it up today and did my push-ups, too, just knee push-ups, since nothing at all happened when I tried to push up off my toes, lol, but at least I did my 2 sets of 10! Did overhead squats/push-ups, GHD (glute ham developer...it's like a back ext contraption, but your legs are horizontal the whole time) sit-ups/hip extensions (that felt good on the back, just hanging upside down, so I hung out there a while afterward, lol), and pull-ups with the tiny blue band...I can still only string about 2 of those together before I have to reset, but I did 2 sets of 10 total. That was my warm-up, except for a few pulls on an 85 lb barbell to get ready for deadlifts in the workout, then I tried to climb the Bakar (spelling?) Ladder, but couldn't really do it, and tried the rope climb again, and got halfway up! I was afraid to go higher until I figure how to get down without burning the skin right off my leg, but I did figure how to lock the rope between my feet...woot!

Today's CF workout was drawn from the hat. The hat is loaded with a selection of shorter Metcon/Girl named WODs. Today we drew "Got Grip?"
Deadlifts 15-12-9-6-3 reps (Rx'd weight 225 men/155 women)
Rope Climbs 5-4-3-2-1 reps

Acceptable subs for rope climbs were the Bakar Ladder up and down (had to touch the top and bottom rungs to count as a rep), or 3x Pull-ups.

I scaled to 115# for DL/and 15-12-9-6-3 Pull-ups with the green band (one band up from my warm-up assistance band). My time was 13:01. Typical finish times for those doing rope climbs was 17 mins, up to about 20 for those doing the ladder. (just putting that out for comparison, in case somebody wants to try this)

I did the whole workout without taping my hand (the one that had the rip last week), and the new skin held up fine, so I'm happy to be done with the taping. I experimented with switching my mixed grip from one side to the other on deadlifts, and that did help on the later rounds, and I tried some mixed grip pull-ups, which also felt good when my grip was getting painful, plus I got a little bi-cep help getting chin over the bar toward the end.

My trainer from the class gave me a CF t-shirt today, which was a surprise, and really cool...my first CF tee! I think I'm all that now, plus it's a medium, and it fits! :carrot: I was able to save enough money to pay for my CF training for May, which felt good. They were really very cool, letting me stay on for April, even though I couldn't afford it yet, but I am hoping to pay my own way from now on.

I've got to do my morning chores and get some laundry started, then I will come back on one of my breaks and do replies!

Shannon in ATL
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Midwife - I remember a lot of people walking when I was in Paris, but not a lot of running on the streets in the big cities. Did see some in the parks. In the smaller areas I remember seeing runners. I saw bikers everywhere. Though, I say do it if you want to do it! :)

ETA: Just read Nelie's post and it reminded me that I didn't get up very early at that point in my life... :) My teacher who was on the trip with us, and from Paris, ran every morning as well. Always asked us to go with her.

nelie
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
midwife - When I went to Greece, our travel guide ran every morning. I say bring your shoes :)

midwife
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks, ladies. That is most excellent news.

kaw
04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
midwife: At the risk of being trite ... just do it! I think running for exercise is common enough in Europe that you won't be totally out of place. Besides, even if you are, who cares? I mean, it's not like running is an "obnoxious American" activity, on the order of, say, complaining loudly about the prices or the restaurant service. Just don't check "cluelessamericans.fr" for a while... :)

(I just checked my office thermostat: it's 89 degrees in here. The HVAC system doesn't switch from heat to AC until after Memorial Day weekend. West-facing windows are great in the middle of winter, but not when you get summer in April!)

This morning's workout:

OH Press (7@75, 3@80x3)
Pullups (6 x 2 wide grip + 6 parallel grip; down from PR, but I was several, ahem, ten pounds lighter then)
Hanging Leg Raises (15 x 3)
Shrugs (9@85 each arm x 3)
Rev Fly (10@15 x 3)

Food: so far, so good!

Be strong,
Kim

silverbirch
04-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi Rabbit!

do people run in Paris and other large European cities, or would I be a clueless American if I did?

Morning! :wave:

Relax, Midwife. :hug: Europe's OK. It's fun, full of food and, what's more, Nicolas Sarkozy, President of France, runs. Here are a couple of articles to make you smile from the Daily Telegraph, one of Britain's more right of centre papers (remember that we British have a love-hate joking relationship with the French). Boris Johnson, who wrote the second article, is also Mayor of London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/4299738/Personal-trainer-helps-Sarkozy-with-sex-life.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3641099/Bravo-Sarkozy---from-one-jogger-to-another.html

Bon voyage! :wave:

Mel
04-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow- spring brings people! :wave:

POP day yesterday and the scale is UP. What is with that????

Yesterday I nearly got into a shouting match at the gym. I was doing supersets of assisted pull ups and hyper extensions, and FOUR guys hopped onto the pull up machine the second I got off after my third set (still 2 to go). I don't mind if someone asks to work in...even 2 people...but FOUR? These guys are more like a group exercise class. They all just stared at me when I invited 1 or two to work in and suggested that the other two go use that lat pull down instead. They started muttering and glaring...the "b" word came out, so I just put the pin back where I had it in the first place and hopped back on. They all stood there for about the first 6 reps (form PERFECT :lol:) then wandered off. The continued to be annoying the rest of the session. They usually are, but we haven't had direct confrontations before. The all do the same thing at the same time, have horrible form, and take all the equipment they need and stockpile it. At one point I went over to the dumbbell rack to find everything from 20-40 missing...in piles at these guys' feet. Oy. I can take 'em :rofl:

HOT, HOT, HOT here today. And it's LEG day! I'm going to be drenched. Cardio was a joy.

Have a good one,

Mel

midwife
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks, kaw and birch!! I think it will be a fun way to explore parts of the city....yippee!!

Mel, eep! I can't believe they were so rude to you. What happened to manners and chivalry?

Shannon in ATL
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Mel - I bet you could take them... people can be so rude...

I got up and did my strength training this morning. Pretty excited about that. I think it is time to change up my workout, so I'm going to be working on that today. I might post it up for opinions... I've been using the full body workout templates from ExRx.net. I do think I might have gotten a little carried away with the ab work on the ball, and wonder if it actually does any good to do as many as I've been doing....

Annual health insurance renewal meeting this morning. Woo hoo. I get to listen to our agent try to explain to me why the company wants to raise our rates 17% when we only had a 52% utilization last year... Agent needs to find me better plans before I find a better agent...

Good day everyone!

kaw
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Mel. I work out in a university gym, so as you can image I see a lot of this. The stereotype is that teenage girls can't be separated from their packs, but it's just as true about teenage boys. Add to that the fact that boys/men feel entitled to so much more physical space than girls/women, and you wind up with an impenetrable mass around the preacher curl bench from 1 pm (you know, when the college-age men get up) to gym closing time.

Workout accomplished. Leg day, the first one in a long while. Pathetic, pathetic lifts -- my legs felt like jello by the second set of a weight I could do easily last fall. (I've lifted since then, of course, but somehow I usually manage to skip leg day!) Oh well, the next time will be better.

Be strong,
Kim

4rabbit
04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi midwife,
Chiming in with the crowd...sure people run in europe, bring the shoes! Keri over at maintainers is french, in strassbourgh, and she runs. I would ask at the hotel tough if they can recommend a route for you because not all streets in all neighborhoods in paris would be a good idea. http://www.run.com/city.asp?loc=Paris+fr has some routes mapped out that might be nice, one including the eiffel tower ! And even if it is an american tourist thing, who cares? You will be an american tourist after all.

Have fun !

Rabbit

elisa822
04-28-2009, 05:37 PM
It's a busy week at work for me so I'm just popping it to say hi. Looks like it won't be a great workout week (due to meetings etc...stupid job! ;) ) so I'll do my best to keep the food OP. Especially since this past weekend involved some fried chicken and some ice cream. :o Of course, I'm paying the price but I'm staying off the scale so that I don't actually start to cry!

On the plus side, I continue to at least fit at least one 5k a week outside (the weather this time of year fluctuates so much) and I've managed to somehow stay under 30 minutes each time.

We're also doing some major cleanup around the house this weekend, with a big garbage bin landing tomorrow evening. I hope that burns a few calories!

Mel - your story made my blood pressure rise and I wasn't even there! That kind of crap makes me crazy.

Hi to everyone!!

WaterRat
04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
It's a busy week at work for me so I'm just popping it to say hi. Looks like it won't be a great workout week (due to meetings etc...stupid job! ) so I'll do my best to keep the food OP.

I'm just channeling Elisa here. Same situation, except for two 4 day weekends in a row, making for very busy 3 day weeks. Last weekend was a statewide church assembly meeting, interesting but not "fun." This weekend, however, is a quilt camp, and once I get packed and get there should be a blast! :)

I'm considering joining the BFL folks for round 2, since I'm not traveling again until the end of June. Not a full 12 weeks, but better than nothing which is what I'm in danger of slipping into....

EofAZ
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Mel – I’m getting ready to move from Tucson to Dallas and we are trying to decide what to take, what to sell, and what to just replace when we get there. We don’t have the house sold yet so we can’t start realistically looking for a replacement house yet so I don’t know how much room we will have to work with. I have about 3 months to get this all done but 7 weeks of that will be recuperating from my second knee replacement this year. (Right knee in Feb. Left in May). Anyway all this back ground is to say I was trying to decide if I should try to move all my workout equipment (treadmill, squat rack, lateral pull down besides all the little stuff (exercise balls, bosu, mats, DVD’s, steps, dumbbells, free weights, bars, etc.) My husband hates moving the squat rack from room to room and I just was having trouble asking him to move it 2 states away, especially if I don’t know if I will have room for it once I get there. My company (it’s a transfer) has a health center on site in Dallas and I was thinking it might be better to just join it and workout during lunch BUT your story reinforced that I’m going to drag my weights with me and if I have to I’ll set the rack up out in the middle of the front lawn.

Mel
04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Evangeline :wave:

Yikes! That sounds like a daunting move :o Here's my big question tho- can you still do squats with artificial knees? I didn't know you'd had replacements this year! Hope all healing is going well and you are RELIGIOUSLY doing the PT. The difference between the people I know who have good outcomes vs. disappointment have been how hard they worked at the outset. Hope all is well.

I still prefer they gym despite the occasional rude guys!

Mel

Tomato
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Hello ladies,

Popping in to catch up and say Hi. I am reporting two weeks when my eating was not good - it was PURRfect! Somehow, I haven't been hungry, eating only what was OP, very nice portions - oy!!! The only exception was this past Sunday when a friend came for a roasted duck. We see each other only a few times a year (live in different cities) and this is our annual event. She says I make the best roasted duck in the whole world - how can I not do it for her, eh? Of course, my stomach cringed - roasted duck, cabbage and dumplings - all that jazz; and then dessert. Well I ate small portions and did the best I could.

My foot is still sore but I continue my workouts. I fried my legs very nicely - a big workout on Monday night and yesterday morning I was the only who showed up for a core class at 6 am. LOL! We were about 10 minutes into it when a guy showed up. We had the instructor's undivided attention. :D
This morning, I did only a half-a$$ job on the elliptical - my glutes and my quads are so sore, it was more about moving than getting a real workout.
Cheryl, how do you do it that you so much every single day and still can continue the next day?

Midwife, pack the running shoes! I haven't been to France but Europe if full of joggers just like North America.

Mel, good job on those frat boys! :smug: I have to say [knock on wood] that people at my gym are very decent in this respect. But we are on the opposite end of town where the universities are so we get a bit of a different crowd.

Oh, and I have to share with you that I just bought size 2 jeans! LOL I am not quite ready to wear them yet but the current size 4 is getting loose on me. The funny thing is I am still a few pounds over the weight I was at at the end of January and my measurements are the same. For now, I think I will take the size 4 in (at the waist) a little until I am ready for the size 2 - a few weeks at the most.
Then I will be able to say with confidence that I gave it all I could because I don't think I could downsize any further - without putting my hips through some bone crunching device - because then it will be the size of my bones dictating my size but not the fat. So that's the exciting stuff (well, for me).

Alena

Shannon in ATL
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Alena - cool on the 2s! My 4s are a little loose, but I haven't had the nerve to try on any 2s yet... I'm the same as you - weigh a little more than January, measurement almost exactly the same, yet the 4s are getting loose... Even when they first come out of the dryer! :)

midwife
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the link, Rabbit!!

Go Tomato!!!! ....a 4?? Woohoo!! (plans to dice up a tomato later for dinner :devil: )

Tomato
04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Go Tomato!!!! ....a 4?? Woohoo!! (plans to dice up a tomato later for dinner :devil: )

You just love me to death, don't ya? :D
But I have to correct you - I just bought size 2, the existing size 4 will be slowly weaned out. ;)

Mel
04-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Tomato- kaw has the frat boys :) I have the corporate park guys. They are old enough to behave better!

Good shoulder workout today- I'm almost back to my pre- numb arm strength!

sportmom
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
And I was just going to ask you how those WCU can afford that ultra club, now i've got it! ;)

I'm working out like a FOOL these days. Taking it in strong during week 12 of BFL - yep, week 12. I was just thinking yesterday in my uber gross cardio done in 85% heat and humidity - that I won't let THIS weather get me down, just like I didn't let that ice storm in late January stop me from sticking to week 1. That was a huge cool realization for me. I finished that stinkin' hiit on the treadmill including a 15 sprint at the end of the peak on NINE 9.0 :eek: I won't do that again, I felt like I was going to lose my teeth on the dashboard of the treadmill. Going back to an 8 sprint tomorrow! Maybe for :30. :D

EofAZ
04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Mel – As far as range of movement goes I think how deep you can go in a squat will depend on each individual and as you said the more diligent you are about PT the better the results should be. The prosthesis itself is capable of bending up to 160 degrees. I personally (at my last measurement) could bend mine about 130 degrees HOWEVER that is 10 degrees better then I can do with the knee I have not replaced. (That replacement is scheduled for May.) So I’m very happy with those results. If it is about how much weight that can be lifted then that is going to depend on how much pressure the plastic separating the parts of the joint mechanism can tolerate. I’ll check with my Dr. next week (if I can remember) to see if there are any figures on that. As heavy as you lift that may be a concern.

I was doing so much better on my PT before I came back to work. Somehow sitting at a desk all day has really interfered and slowed my progress down. At home I could get up and take a walk or putter around the house, at work I sit. Getting away from my desk is such an issue.

midwife
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
That's right!! A 2??? Okay, I'm mostly very happy for you. :D

kaw
04-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Knee replacement. That doesn't sound fun!

Back from the gym. This morning one of the two weight training class instructors was running her women's weight training class through their "final." One of the tests timed each student to see how long she could hold herself up at the top of a pullup position. (Flashback to the 1980s Presidential Physical Fitness and Social Torture tests!) It was so cute -- the young women tried so hard, and they were all cheering each other on to hang on for just a few more seconds. It warmed my heart to see such a celebration of women's strength!

Back day, done: pullups, conventional deads, barbell rows, low cable rows, back hyperextensions, and concentration curls. Not much to write home -- or 3fc -- about in terms of weight or reps.

No movement on the scale yet, but I'm not worried about it. I'll get there.

Be strong,
Kim

jamsk8r
04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Kim, strong numbers on your OH Press!

I haven't had a chance to catch up on the all posts I've missed, but thought I'd post a quick update, anyway.

Weight is going down lately, which is nice. Got a new low yesterday of 172.4, so if things keep on, I might be rid of the 170s in May. That would be nice!

Skipped Tuesday's workout at the CF gym. Just needed a rest day for the sore shoulder/locked up neck muscles. It did seem to help. Went in yesterday, and it was a killer metcon day. :faint:

Run 400 meters
50 AbMat Sit-ups (AMSU)
40 Wall Ball (8# for me, 14# Rx'd for women, 20# Rx'd for men)
30 Push-ups (knees for me, since we have to do chest-to-floor type)
Run 600 meters
30 Push-ups
40 Wall Ball
50 AMSU
Run 400 meters

Took me 29 minutes, 57 seconds. About 20 for the beasty girls. It was killer all the way, and laid me on the floor. Great workout!

Gotta run. I'll check in later to catch up on the reading and replies. :wave:

Shannon in ATL
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone!

I done a lot of cardio the last two days. 6.25 miles at the park on Monday, 6 miles on the treadmill last night. Did some power yoga last night, worked out on the Weider & the swiss ball on Monday. I think I have better runs on days I do my strength training. May be totally psychosomatic, I don't know. :) My plan is to work out on the Weider and the ball this afternoon. Still haven't put together a new exercise list so will use the old one for the rest of the week probably.

Have a good day everyone!

nelie
04-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Last day of April! I aired out my demons in the 100lb club which is basically I realized I have no desire to lose weight. I have a desire to be active but the way I've treated food in the past year really reflects my lack of focus and motivation.

Having said that, I started counting calories to monitor what I am eating rather than doing what I've been doing which is restricting foods for a while based on the scale, then not restricting for a while until scale gets to threshold. It is a bouncy, bouncy game.

I got a little sad when I realized that the kettlebell class I had thought about taking was yesterday. Of course I had been throwing around the idea of doing Crossfit for a while but I think with summer fast approaching, I may focus my efforts on my outdoor activities (running/biking/hiking). I can also do my workouts at home. I also just bought a bike (well trike) so I may be a bit over my exercise budget :)