Weight Loss Support - One day coke free

View Full Version : One day coke free

TatorTator
04-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Well, I've made it one day without any coke. As I'm from the South, any carbonated beverage or soda is called coke. I used to drink 3 or more cokes a day so today has been a big milestone for me. I'm just hoping I can keep it up. :p

Leeesa
04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Congrats, well done :)

canadianwoman
04-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Yes....very well done....and keep going!!:D

lixximajig
04-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Congrats! Soon you'll come to dislike the taste of anything carbonated and sweet... :D Keep it up!

teawithsunshine
04-01-2009, 01:56 AM
Good work! You can do it! :cool:

mandalinn82
04-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Yay! :bravo:

learningtoliveagain
04-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Way to go TatorTator. Being from Florida I know what you mean about it all being called Coke. I gave up carbonated drinks along time ago and aside from an occasional Barqs if I'm in a restaurant I can't stand the taste anymore. I only drink water at home. I do have my 2 cups of coffee every morning and an 8 oz. O.J. Keep up the good work, soon you won't miss it at all.

Devsmama
04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Nicely done!!

eviemc
04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
That is great! I am also from Alabama, so the Southern slang is familiar around here as well.

I also gave up Coke on Nov 30. I was seriously addicted to Coke Zero and the problem with that is that it would be all that I drank, no water. I knew it was a problem for me so I have not had one since. The only carbonated beverage I allow myself is flavored (sparkling) water. I feel so much better. My stomach and my kidneys thank me.

inspired by you
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I had to laugh when I read this post because I too am from Alabama, just transplanted to Canada, and I was having the conversation with a neighbor the other day about all soda/pop being called a coke. Too funny...But I do understand the addiction to the beverages. You have one day under your belt. Make it the first day of the rest of your life.

Hypra
04-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Good job! Eliminating calories you drink is a REALLY great way to lose weight. I've been trying to give up on coffee - or at least, huge cups of 2/3 coffee and 1/3 cream and sugar...

newleaf123
04-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Congrats on your soda-free day!! I hope today goes just as well!!

Hypra - as for coffee, a year ago I cut back to using whole milk instead of half & half. I really can't taste the difference at all and it saves a lot of calories. I use 4oz whole milk in my 16oz of coffee and it's 73 calories, vs 157 calories if I used the half & half.

DCHound
04-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Also from Alabama, and yes it's all Coke to me too. I gave up sugar/caffeine-carbonated beverages (my personal fave was Mt. Dew) in 1999, gave up all diet soft drinks in 2008, and honestly I do not miss them at all. You will feel so much better once you get it all out of your system! I don't miss sweet tea either!

moonkissed
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
:carrot: congrats!! I stopped drinking it a while ago and feel so much better.

I am from colorado/florida and grew up calling them all coke as well lol. When I moved up here to New York with my DH & everyone calls it pop. It was so weird to me lol. And now I ended up calling it pop too and my sister teases me lol

mayness
04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Yay!

I didn't know about the use of the word "coke" in the south until I got to college and had some Texan classmates. That's also around the time that I realized most of the country (heck, most of the English-speaking world) says "soda," so I stopped saying "pop" like I grew up with.

I'm still trying to shake some of my Western NY accent, but I'm getting there slowly, lol.

TatorTator
04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
thanks for all the positive feedback about my coke-free day! two days down!

MdTerrapin
04-02-2009, 01:02 PM
That is awesome! I also gave up Coke and it sucked for a few days but life is good now.

Karen

birthdaygrl66
04-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm going to give the "no coke" thing a try. For some reason I think that if I don't have a Diet Coke first thing every morning I will get a migraine. I'll have my Excedrin on hand just in case.

Anyway....good job. I'm going to follow your lead.

mayness
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm going to give the "no coke" thing a try. For some reason I think that if I don't have a Diet Coke first thing every morning I will get a migraine. I'll have my Excedrin on hand just in case.

Anyway....good job. I'm going to follow your lead.

If you cut down slowly, you might not get the caffeine withdrawal headaches (or not as bad anyway). You could buy some caffeine-free diet coke and mix them... 3/4 regular and 1/4 caffeine free for a while... then half and half.. and so on. I went from 12 oz diet mt. dew --> 8 oz diet mt. dew --> very strong tea --> weaker tea... now I have black tea sometimes, green tea sometimes, and other times I just have water or crystal light... but I don't get headaches at all. I feel much more *free* not being addicted to caffeine.

Athenawithheart
04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I cut out soda in March, and I lost almost 10 pounds that month as part of giving up all sugar - real and artificial. I also got pretty rowdy about eating cleaner. I am so much happier!

It took me 6-8 months of trying to finally give up my Diet Moutain Dew habit, though. I used to drink two or three 20-ounce bottles a day.

learningtoliveagain
04-09-2009, 05:54 AM
TatorTator,
Here is something to look forward to. I was photographing a wedding last saturday and the refreshment bar ran out of bottled water. The waiter said you don't want to drink the tap water when I said just gimme tap, so I ordered a diet coke. OMG it was disgusting! I hadn't had a diet coke or pepsi in about 4 years. I can't believe I use to love that stuff. So it does get easier. How are you doing?

JulieJ08
04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
TatorTator,
Here is something to look forward to. I was photographing a wedding last saturday and the refreshment bar ran out of bottled water. The waiter said you don't want to drink the tap water when I said just gimme tap, so I ordered a diet coke. OMG it was disgusting! I hadn't had a diet coke or pepsi in about 4 years. I can't believe I use to love that stuff. So it does get easier. How are you doing?

Ah, I do hope that happens to me someday!

paperSkin
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Funny thing about coke is that you really have to diligent about it. The first day is the hardest, and then it gets easier.. but if you even drink one, even weeks or months later, the cravings come back.

Tool
04-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I am from Atlanta so I KNOW the importance of coke! It took me so long to rid the habit.

Very VERY awesome job!