Weight Loss Surgery - sorry for the delay - I'm okay!

View Full Version : sorry for the delay - I'm okay!

jillybean720
03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
I am switched! I had a successful DS on March 27. I wasn't posting much on any boards for the week leading up to it because work EXPLODED, and I was working overtime, totally stressed, got a new boss the Monday right before my surgery...it was absolute craziness!

Anyway, by the 27th, I went in and had no complications during surgery. There was, however, a, hmm, inconvenience, I suppose. Apparently, there was quite a bit of scar tissue remaining from a surgery I had when I was 16 (left oopherectomy and ovarian cyst removal), and there were adhesions all over my small bowel. My surgeon took down a lot of the scar tissue and was still able to give me a full DS but with a longer common channel than anticipated and a tighter VSG to compensate.

I was released from the hospital yesterday (Monday) with 2 drains, which I go back to have removed on Thursday. I'm on liquids for now (for 1 week from hospital release). I am sipping water constantly and have had 2 protein shakes today (about 50 grams of protein total) and some chicken broth. SF Jell-o made me sick in the hospital, so I am in no hurry to try that again! I'm up and walking every little while. I'm taking pills with no problems (multi, calcium, etc.). Things are going well so far!

missangelaks
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
:cheer: Hurray!!!! :cheer:

Hi Jill! I am sooo glad to hear all is Well! Rest, relax, heal...and know we are pulling for a quick recovery!

Angela :hug:

nanj
04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah Jillybean, I'm glad things went so well for you. Now........protein party: protein hot chocolate, protein shakes, protein pudding....AND Ta Da Water. Maybe you will have to adopt Beth's "aka Melting Momma" ....let's see Melting Jillybean......Naw.. Jillybean is nice.

KO
04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
:hug: Jilly So glad you're doing well! I love Unjury Protein Powder in Choc Warm (not hot or it curdles)

sportmom
04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
YEA!!!!! So happy to hear all is well! You won't need to join the blue team anymore now! (Or maybe you could and be TBL each week! ;) lol)

Great to see you posting again! When do you have to go back to work? I hope you get several weeks off from the insanity you left behind. :hug:

Leenie
04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
GOOD GIRL :cp:

Glad it went well :hug:

annie175
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear you did marvelous Jilly.....

jiffypop
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
WHEW!!!!! thanks for the update!!!! and it sounds lik eyou have EVERYTHING under control!!!! :cheer: :grouphug:

rockinrobin
04-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh I am SO glad to hear from you.

You did it! You did it! You did it! And everything went well, a little hairy there I'm sure with the scar tissue and all - but now you can begin to make the changes necessary - to change your life.

I am so looking forward to hearing of your progress. I'm incredibly excited for you.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

cottagebythesea
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
:hug: Jilly! I'm so glad it went well for you and hope you have a speedy recovery!

jillybean720
04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!

I'm one week out today, and I'm doing quite well. I had my drains removed yesterday, I'm able to take all my vitamins already, I'm getting in over 50 grams of protein a day, I'm drinking plenty, I'm moving around, I'm sleeping in my own bed, I'm only using the pain meds "as needed"...not much to complain about here!

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Welcome back, Jillybean; glad you are doing so well ... :hug:

activeadventurer
04-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Jillybean,

Glad to here that things are going so well!

GirlyGirlSebas
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey, Jillie. I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear that you made it through surgery okay and are healing.

dixied
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm so glad you were able to have the surgery! We miss you over on the Blue Team. :hug:

nelie
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Congrats Jilly, I've been thinking of you :)

midwife
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Congrats!

AAAA
04-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Saw your post on OH and was glad to see you're on your way. :)

jillybean720
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks, everyone (especially the Bluesers!!)!

I'm still doing well - had my 2-week follow up today, and the nurse said I'm perfect :D I will be returning to work on Monday morning, which I am nervous about because I know it's insanely busy (I've been checking my work email daily even though I am on PTO). I really don't want to go back to a hurricane of work, but I have no choice (I am the ONLY person at my company who does what I do, which is why I didn't plan on more than 2 weeks off to begin with).

Anyway, my incisions are just about healed (4 laparoscopic cuts and 2 drain holes), and the nurse even said I could take a bath if I felt so inclined since they were healed so nicely.

I do have one spot of pain still on my lower right side that can actually bring me instantly to tears if I twist or turn just right, but she said to give it more time.

I've lost 18 pounds in the 2 weeks since my surgery. I was 308 on surgery day, 300 last Thursday when I had my drains removed, and 290 today. I am about to break out of the 290s, hopefully for the last time ever!

Buttercup
04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I am so glad you are doing so well! Way to go! Good luck and please keep posting your updates!!:)

nelie
04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm so proud of you Jilly, can't wait for you to say bye to the 290s, 280s and all the way down :)

worthylady
04-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Hey Jilly,
You gave everyone a bit of a scare. I am glad to hear that you are doing well. Sounds like you are on the road to a healthy lifestyle. Congratulations!!

Jen415
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I just saw this! I'm glad your surgery went well....looks like you are dropping the weight at lightning speed now!