Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 07:21 AM   #1  

Default Monday Morning

Hey girls,

Is it really Monday already? Actually, it's not looking too bad for me so far (granted, it's still VERY early). I had a great weekend, and I hope everyone else did too. Just a quick post for now to get the thread started - I'll be back later on.

I saw this article through one of my emails this morning and I figured I'd post it for Becky and everyone else who has been talking about pedometers lately. This comes via eDiets.....

by Lisa Leonard

The 10,000 Steps program advocated by Prevention Magazine is a great way for beginners to start getting fit without being overwhelmed with the time commitment, planning and execution of many workout programs out there. The 10,000 Steps program uses walking as the catalyst for dropping unwanted fat and improving overall health. The program incrementally adds more steps as the participant progresses.

No gym membership, or expensive equipment is required. A simple pedometer and a good pair of walking shoes is all that is needed. As a personal trainer, I deal with people who stop and start exercise programs all the time. This simple walking workout provides a long-term solution for those looking to lose excess fat, strengthen their bodies, improve endurance and feel better. If followed correctly, the program can deliver results without having to commit an entire block of time to go to the gym.

The 10,000 Steps Program as outlined in Prevention Magazine
The following is a summary of the basic principles from "Easy Steps to Shape Up and Slim Down" by Patricia deSa that appeared in Prevention Magazine in July 2001:

Before you begin, you need to determine how many steps you take in an average day. To do this, wear the pedometer for 3 days from the time you get up in the morning until the time you go to bed. Follow your normal routine. You are trying to determine how many steps you take during the course of a normal day. Once you have worn the pedometer for 3 days, add the total number of steps from each day together and divide it by 3. This will give you a good estimation of you average day.

Once you have determined your average, add 7,500 and you will have your ultimate goal. For example, if you have determined that during an average day you take 5,050 steps, add 7,500 and your ultimate goal will be 12,550.

Don't shoot for your ultimate goal at first. You will be there soon enough. In the beginning, set a preliminary goal that is about 2,500 steps above your current level. Gradually work up to your preliminary goal by increasing the number of steps you take each day by between 300 and 600. You can do this in a variety of ways, such as parking at the far end of the parking lot or taking the stairs. Once you reach your preliminary goal, try to increase the number of steps you add each day. If you were adding 300 steps a day, increase that to 400. You will be at your ultimate goal before you know it.

Once you reach your ultimate goal, continue to walk that many steps each day for 8 weeks. If, after a few weeks at your ultimate goal, you feel like you are not seeing the results you want, try to increase the intensity of your walking.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:58 AM   #2  

Angry

Good morning all!

Lexy ~ I have often thought about buying a pedometer to see how many steps I take in a given day....may have to think about that. Glad to see you had a good weekend.....

Sorry I have been MIA lately, really discusted with myself, been eating a lot these last couple weeks, and have gained 7 pounds back because of it. But, I am re-re-recommitting myself today, and need all of your support once again...Weight is such a battle, I really get tired of it....oh well, it must be done.

Sorry I can't post individually now, I still haven't read the posts from last week.

So, I am going to change my profile to reflect my weight.....

I will be back, happy (raining, very heavily) Monday!!
Old 06-03-2002, 09:51 AM   #3  
Bono Fanatic!

Just stopping by to say hi.... I am off to Italy this Saturday, so I have a ton I need to get done at work this week....

Tonya - My motivation has temporarily gone away as well. I was down 12 pounds, but now that is only 10. If I don't start being more careful, it won't even be 10. The only thing that has saved me is all the running I have been doing, because I have been eating whatever I want. Here's hoping that both of us get back on track yet again....

Lexxy - Hey girl! What's the deal with that boy you were mentioning before? Do you like him? Give me the details!

Well, I ran a 5K yesterday and my goal was to run it in just under 29 minutes, which would be about 9 1/2 minutes per mile. And my final time was 27.15!!! I couldn't believe it, and now realize that I am capable of running much faster than I thought, since that time is under 9 minutes per mile. I was thrilled!

I'll try to check back in later...
Old 06-03-2002, 10:01 AM   #4  
Cockeyed Optimist

Morning Everyone!

I have a pedometer and I love it. Mine doesn't count steps, only miles, but I learn the most useless things from it. For instance, it is a quarter of a mile from where I park my car to my desk.

I too can sympathize with the never ending struggle. I've had a hard time staying OP during May. So far, I've just lost and gained the same 2 lbs over and over but I need to rededicate myself as well.

Congrats on the running time Jen - that's amazing - and very inspirational!

Anyone else excited about the Stanley Cup Finals?

Winter
Old 06-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/8/13

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all, saw a few familiar names online today and decided I"d post. I've become something of a lurker lately. Nothing new is happening in my life, so it's rather boring to write about it. I do have a part-time job now, holding me over until I find a "real" job - it's for my dad, he owns a fast-food restaurant, and I've basically been covering hours that anyone wants off. But it makes me money. And he doesn't want to "pressure" me into staying there and working, taking over the business or something, which is good, because that's not really what i want to do right now, not to mention not what i went to school for. And my uncles have a candle shop that they need help in, but I think i'm just going to stay where I am. I think. Because I know the restaurant business, and I've never carved candles. That's my reasoning right now anyway. I really really need to get on track and look for a job related to my major.

That and the bars have been my life lately. and as far as the eating/exercising goes (not a diet!), I havent been doing too terrible. Exercising has been going steadily downhill, but I do something every day, almost. Whether it's stumbling home from the bars (j/k--kind of), playing baseball with my brother/sister, or walking, I've been keeping almost kind of active. Eating isn't the best here at home, but I've found the secret to surviving my mom's large meals for when the whole family is home -- eat half a potato, no rolls, 1 serving of meat, and load up on the veggies & fruits. I have actually lost a few more pounds towards the challenge goal, so now I'm down 10 pounds towards it, 5 more to go!

So that's my book -- if anyone has time to read it

Good luck everyone on getting back on track, we can do it!
Old 06-03-2002, 12:41 PM   #6  
Water Freak

Hey all-
Just a quick note before running off to lab. I've been a little negligent in posting lately because I have been a VERY BAD DIETER. I am up to 160 and I could just cry. BUT, I finally got myself a notebook to write everything don in and it is small enough to carry around so hopefully I will remember. Writing it down is the only way I can stop myself from eating too much. Perhaps I will start posting what I eat on here too. And I am definitely going to have to look into this pedometer thing again.

Winter- Very excited about Stanley Cup! I'm a Canadiens fan living in NC, so I was kind of bummed when the canes beat my boys! But at least horrible horrible toronto is not in! Yay!

Cat
Old 06-03-2002, 12:44 PM   #7  
Proud Canadian

Good morning all.

Well it's monday and I'm here. I had a relaxing weekend though. I actually got to spend some time with the BF. We went to a swap meet yesterday and walked and walked and I was wearing sandles and today, not only are the tops of my feet sunburnt but where the straps were I have hives and a big blister on the bottom of each foot. I'm grateful for my desk job today.

I went to WI on Saturday and I'm down 1.4#! Yay! I'd like to start losing every week. for so long I've been up then down then up then down. Slow but steady and I can hit 179 by the August weddings if I do just 1# a week. Baby steps but steps nonetheless.
Well, I hope everyone is doing well today and I'll check in later
KT
Old 06-03-2002, 12:55 PM   #8  

Yeah! I'm happy people are coming out here today and posting

It sounds like most of us have kind of lost some motivation lately - I haven't been on the scale in a week because I'm really afraid to see what it will say. But still keep posting, even just to say hi! Once we find our motivations again it won't be like having to start over new. You all are doing GREAT on the exercise - I can't even tell you the last time I worked out - I think it was while I was on vacation 3 WEEKS AGO Jen, that is so awesome about your 5K!! I am signing myself up for thr Army 10 mile run in October so that I'll be forced to start running again. I was thinking about it yesterday actually, what a great feeling it was to run my last 10 miler.

About the boy....I guess he's pretty much my boyfriend now. I've been trying to avoid having The Talk but it may have to happen. It's just really strange for me since I am so used to being single and I'm honestly not sure how serious of a relationship that I want....but I figure I'll go with the flow for now. However, he is going to be another major obstacle to shrinking my waistline. He's a bartender and works weekend nights so I can either go there an drink for free, or go out with my friends and then go drink there for free while he's closing up. Plus, he eats out for evey single meal which can be a nightmare for me with trying to decide what to eat. For example, tonight we are going on a double date to one of those places that serves family style Italian - I think their claim to fame is that their pasta dishes are served with 2 lbs of pasta - I think that's about 16 servings. Enough said, right? I'll just have to really watch my portion sizes. It's all up to me I suppose.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:20 PM   #9  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Must force brain to function...

Well, hello everyone! I am glad to be back on days, but oh my gosh, I am SO tired. My last night was Friday, I went to bed around 2 a.m. on Saturday night and 10:30 last night, but couldn't sleep. I think I finally fell asleep around 2. I'm hoping to be able to go right to sleep tonight. I was just going to buy some sleeping pills, but everyone says they're bad... I don't get it. Instead I guess I'll just have a stiff drink or two.

So, night shift is finished, whoohoo. I started back on WW yesterday and am feeling good about today. According to the super-accurate scale in the warehouse (where I worked all outage), I gained three pounds in the last week. I'm not too stressed about it because it'll all come off. I was thinking about going to the gym tonight, but I haven't cleaned my apartment in a month and can't keep putting it off. I haven't been to the gym in a month, so I'm afraid it'll be like starting all over.

Lexxy--Thanks for posting that info about pedometers. I, too, have been thinking about getting one. And good luck with dinner tonight--If I were going to a restraunt like that, I'd show no restraint...

Tanya--How disappointing about the gained 7 lbs... But, chin up! You've been a great motivator for me in the past and I have no doubt that those 7 lbs will come off even easier than they were put on!

JenK--How exciting about your trip to Italy... I am super jealous! Are you going with friends/family? Do you have friends/family there? I would love to do that sort of travelling but have no one who's interested in it to go with me... Oh well. Congrats on your 5K time! That's great!!

Star--Sounds like things have been busy for you! I think that it's really important to stay active (probably because I haven't been active lately... )

Cat--Don't stress too much over being "a very bad dieter". It could be worse--you could be like me--if I got to 160, I'd cry from happiness!

KT--WAY TO GO on your WI!!!

OK, I gotta get some work done... (Since I'm the only one working around here).
Old 06-03-2002, 02:39 PM   #10  
A Yankee in Virginia

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I didn't do much, except see Spider-man (LOVED it), mow the lawn and go swimming at the gym. (Oh, and book the site for the wedding!) I have been absolutely militant about my points, I've been exercising every other day and I hope I see results soon! The scale has only showed a one pound drop in a week, and that was this morning. I did have my period last week so maybe that has something to do with it.

I can't write too long because I'm swamped, but I wanted to say hi!
Old 06-03-2002, 04:32 PM   #11  
Proud Canadian

Hi again.

Kim - did you book the converted barn?

Jess - Yay! back to normal. Someone once told me if I couldn't sleep that I should excercise before going to bed but I've always found myself energized after excersize and too wound up to sleep. I'm sure you're body will re-adjust to daylight hours.

Lexxy - THat's a good article you posted - it can really show how easy fitness can be. I know what you mean about the boy - my BF eats whatever he wants and doesn't gain an ounce. THe other night (after dinner) he ordered pizza and I had to sit there looking at it. Easiest way to deal with eating outs - plan before you go. decide to eat salad or just pasta and marinara sauce or whatever and that way when you get there, you don't get tempted - you can do it.

Jen - Italy - wow - that will be nice. Maybe you can run over there and be an international runner.

Winter - Alas, I dropped off the stanley cup bandwagon when it was determined it wasn't coming back to canada. Really after the Habs were gone I lost interest.

Star - what did you go to school for? I worked in my educated field(theatre) for a few years but it wore me out and know I'm planning on going back for something completely different(nursing). But I'll never regret the schooling or the working.

Moon - NOT DIET! Lifestyle. We hear it so often. But really, if I go back to the way I was eating before I changed my lifestyle, I'll hit 300# by my 30th birthday. You can do it.

OK - time to pretend to work - it's birthday in the office - that means cake - I better work out tonite
KT
Old 06-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #12  
A Yankee in Virginia

KT: YES! It's perfect! Turns out you get to reserve the place for the whole weekend, Friday through Sunday afternoon, which includes the grounds, the barn and a lodge with a covered patio. So we're going to hold the rehearsal dinner there, too, and have a cook-out. Casual is definitely the theme. And, BF and I will be able to stay at the lodge the night of the wedding, so we won't have to find a hotel room or anything. We figure we'll leave Sunday for the honeymoon (we have no idea where we're going. Somewhere in the Caribbean probably)
Old 06-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #13  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Cozumel

Kim: Go to Cozumel!! We stayed at the El Cozumeleno and had an absolute fabulous time!!! It was reasonable, too!! In the month of July, it was $1500 for everything from the flight there to all expenses, plus we stayed at the Dallas/Fort Worth Hyatt on the airport grounds the night before we flew out to Cozumel. MLT Vacations and Adventure Tours are some good all-expense paid agencies to use. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread