Weight Loss Support - I'm curious...

View Full Version : I'm curious...

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 07:57 PM
about how what I have been eating rates on the healthy scale! I am starting over after disappointing myself too many times. Sigh...So here is what I ate yesterday, and what I ate so far today...

March 29, 2009
roasted chicken - 300
Oven baked potato - 200
Ketchup - 200
Veggie dumplings from wf - 300
Cantaloupe 100
Ch.Cheese - 200
Blueberry kefir - 100
Iced unsweetened green tea 10

March 30, 2009
Pb&j - 450
Bacon wrapped date (roommate made it, had to try ;) ) 50
Baby carrots 50
3 scrambled eggs, 2 piece wh toast, bit of shredded cheddar - 500

Be constructive please, I'm sensitive...I also live at college and don't have tons of money so I have to make do...

sacha
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I would be super hungry, your cals are pretty low! How do you know them? Do you weigh your food?

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
They're low?? I thought they were getting borderline high? I found a few websites that said for my weight I need to be around 1500 to lose. I read packages and know most fruits and veggies in my head because I've looked them up online. Today is not over yet and I'm sure I'll eat a banana, maybe some oatmeal before bed.

sacha
03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
It depends on your activity levels, do you work out?

I'm an inch shorter and I lost on 1400-1600, I now eat 1800-1900 based on daily workouts.

So it depends...

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
No, maybe once a week. It's pathetic, but I'm starting over and want to take things slow.

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I walk 15 min to work and 15 min back from work 3 times a week though. If that counts, I'm not sure.

Heather
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I was just curious about the ketchup. My calorie calculator says 200 calories is about 200 grams of ketchup, or about 7 ounces! That's a lot of ketchup!

murphmitch
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
200 calories is a lot of ketchup! Ditch the ketchup and eat more veggies. Not enough fiber either.

Tomato
03-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Personally, I would be eating drywall if should live on what you ate yesterday. But that's just me. You are not getting enoug protein, IMHO. What's Ch. Cheese - Cottage Cheese? If you are so strict with calories, you should have had something a bit more substantial than ketchup - it contains sugar.
How about a can or sardines? I am lazy to get up and check the size - I am talking the usual small oval can - it has 190 calories and those are packed in oil. Sardines packed in water are 140. A bit of toast with that would be better than the 200 calories from ketchup. Again, just JMHO.

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Maybe I didn't eat that much ketchup? My family teases me bc i love it so much, so i figured i should give it a higher number. I thought I was eating pretty well. Hmm..Well right now I just made myself a packet of oatmeal with skim milk, and nuked a small banana in it too. It's hard to get those fruit and veggies in, but well worth it. Considering I'm craving something sweet and caloric from starbucks, and had oatmeal instead, I'm happy about that.

Salacious
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I think Ch. Cheese is Cheddar Cheese, although I hardly know.

And personally, I'd suggest fitting in some more vegetables if your budget permits. I understand the college thing, I am there too. But they are low calorie and can fill you up more than the food you are eating now does. Also the nutrients in veggies help more than just weight loss.

But that's my two cents.

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes, Ch cheese is cheddar! I just copied and pasted that from my food diary. It was from the little cheese bin at whole foods for 80 cents, how could i not? More veggies, got it. Am i doing anything right?

valpal23
03-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I would be so hungry without adding a bunch of veggies into the day - and I hear ya on the love for ketchup!! (my college cafeteria provided ketchup free of charge... at a pump dispencer -- let's just say I ate a lot of ketchup... by my fourth year.. ketchup = soup) now I use salsa or just cut up tomato.

Scorpio1986
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I absolutely hate salsa...I ate some bad salsa once, got really sick, and the smell of it makes my stomach turn. What are some easy ways to add veggies in? I love snacking on baby carrots bc theyre so convenient.

ManyNamed
03-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Think about cutting up some raw veggies (not just carrots which are high in sugar) in small portions for snacks. They're easy to carry around in ziplock bags and that way you won't be as tempted to snack on things that aren't good for you. You can even add some slices of apple or a few berries. Nuts are another great snack idea for protein and good fats, just don't eat too many. I also notice that you had white bread on your list. Consider eating wholemeal or low GI bread as will help you to feel full longer and not get a huge sugar crash. Protein shake mix is another great alternative for breakfast on the run. I know it's helped me, especially on the days when I have early lectures!

MN.

ringmaster
03-31-2009, 01:54 AM
about how what I have been eating rates on the healthy scale! I am starting over after disappointing myself too many times. Sigh...So here is what I ate yesterday, and what I ate so far today...

March 29, 2009
roasted chicken - 300
Oven baked potato - 200
Ketchup - 200
Veggie dumplings from wf - 300
Cantaloupe – 100
Ch.Cheese - 200
Blueberry kefir - 100
Iced unsweetened green tea – 10

March 30, 2009
Pb&j - 450
Bacon wrapped date (roommate made it, had to try ;) ) – 50
Baby carrots – 50
3 scrambled eggs, 2 piece wh toast, bit of shredded cheddar - 500

Be constructive please, I'm sensitive...I also live at college and don't have tons of money so I have to make do...

how about switching the baked potato with a yam?

with the scrambled eggs, take out 1 piece of toast and add some vegetables into the eggs...spinach & feta cheese go good (<-my favorite :D), peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus... endless combinations you can do with vegetable omelets.

someone suggested cutting up vegetables for snacks... green zucchini and red pepper work good for that. cucumbers are also good sliced up. you can still throw in some carrots, they have alot of good vitamins, so don't cut them out completely.

replace the iced green tea with real green tea made from tea bags...

SweetScrumptious
03-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Mix up some veggies (like red pepper, onion, asparagus, mushroom, etc) into an omelette for breakfast. Do the same as above for a nice healthy stir fry. I like to steam some veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc) and serve them with a meat... remember veggies should be filling up half a plate. Also, salads never fail!

Heather
03-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I think you're doing a lot of things right. But one piece of advice. If you aren't sure about the amounts of things you're eating (like the ketchup) invest in a kitchen scale so you can weigh everything when you're at home. As you can see, it can make a big difference!

As for the food, think lean meats and dairy, veggies and fruits, whole grain breads (if you can) and "good fats" -- from nuts and olive oil for instance. You're doing some of that! That's a good path to take!

squeak351
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
To me it appears you are rounding your points up or down, I dunno, which. Have you tried logging them in to a free calorie counter like Fit Day or myfitnesspal, or the daily plate? That will give you a more accurate number to go by. I use my fitness pal and it gives you how much you've eaten, and how many calroies you have left for the day all by goals you decide for yourself when you sign up.

And YES you are doing something right, no one starts off perfect, you are trying to find the best way to go about it and what better way than to ask!!

I also agree about sneaking in more veggies if possible. Also, try new things. My dietician said that it takes at least three trys for an adult to decide if they don't like something. Two weeks ago I ate my first tomato on a sandwich. I have never eaten raw tomatoes before. Now I am adding a slice to two to everything. Even cutting them up to go on top of scrambled eggs or one of Amy's Organic burritos. I have decided that they aren't my favorite thing but I can eat them.

Other tips from my dietician, switch to a 40 cal per slice whole wheat bread, eat whole wheat when possible. Opt for reduced fat cheese like Cabot 50% reduced fat. Choose organic and fresh foods as much as possible. Not just the calories we should be concerned about but the chemicals we put in our bodies. She believe they can/do cause us to feel bad, which stresses our bodies and in a long about way causes us to eat and gain weight.

Another thing- walking 30 min, 3 x week is a good start. That's what my exercise physiologist recommended for me to start out. She also suggested strength training for 20 min 2 x week. Can be on the same days you do your walking.

Good luck! you can do it!!!

rachinma
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
100 calories of ketchup? Really? That's a lot of ketchup and a lot of sugar.

If you're in college and have limited food options and $$$, stop shopping at WFM. Seriously. Go to a chain supermarket or discount supermarket. Or Trader Joe's. Believe me: I know all about spending way too much at WFM. Love the place! I've scaled back to two trips a week at $15-20 at lunch.