Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Question simplest diet??

ok I've been on so many diets that I lost count already.. I just moved to a new state so money is super tight and all the diets I've done in the past require special foods that are costly (whole wheat or low or fat free, mostly fruit etc etc) costs too much with 4 kids... plus I live in a tiny town with no grocery store etc so we are trying to keep shopping to once or twice a month now since we have to drive extra to get there.. so anyway, is there a simple diet where you can have whatever is in your pantry? I have everything from hamburger helpers to frozen chicken. So any plans that can use all of that with no off limits? or maybe you have some new ideas? I'm eager to try anything right now. Now that we are moved I desperately want to focus on me again as I've packed on even more weight, I need to update my ticker for sure.. well TIA!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/259/175

Height: 5'11"

Try calorie counting for awhile. Technically with this method, you can have whatever you want as long as it's within your specific calorie budget for weightloss. I think the best "diet" is keeping your calorie intake in check and just being intuitive and conscious to what you are eating. Making sure you're getting all the right nutrients and fruits and vegetables.
dkneec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I agree with dkneec19. If you are just calorie counting, you can have anything. Also, portion control can go a long way in the end! Don't quote me but I am pretty sure it's the basis of all those Jenny Craig, Nutrisystems programs. Eat whatever you want, in small portions!
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #4  

yeah I think you both are right, calorie counting is probably my only option... I hate tracking stuff but I guess beggers can't be choosy, lol.. let me check out the daily plate or fitday or something and see what it tells me.. I like the concept of the No S diet as well but I get hungry between meals so I need small snacks.. but I'm gonna research some more and pick something. Summer is coming way too fast and I don't want to be embarrased to be outside with the kids, we have tons of rivers here and I plan on being in most of them, lol
Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Calorie Counting is what popped into my head -- and the only thing that works for me. Before shared meals, you may want to have a broth based soup or a salad so that it is easier to take a small portion of a dense entree. You may also want to make sure you stock up on low calorie in-between meal snacks and dessrts that work for you (e.g. laughing cow cheese wedges, SF jello, whatever) that can fit into a low calorie plan.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yup- and fruits and veggies are a lot cheaper at stores like whole foods and Henry's and other markets vs. the large chain stores like Ralphs and Vons and Albertson's. Even Walmart sells produce now.

My husband and I now buy all our produce at Henry's Market and save a BUNDLE on groceries. It was like $1.50 for a box of strawberries that is easily $6 at the other store! Or 2 avocados for a $1 vs $3 each at the other store. Loading up my cart with fruits and veggies I spend maybe $20 a week now on produce
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

If I could shop only once or twice monthly (given money was tight) I think I would do whole grain rice, beans, fish--even if it's just tuna, eggs and frozen veggies. Get some fruit that keeps too--navel oranges, apples, both come to mind. There are some other products many calorie counters love here--WASA crackers, Laughing Cow Light Cheese, Skinny Cow Ice Cream bars, etc. but they aren't necessities--just luxuries if you can do them.

p.s. What part of AR are you in? I recently bought three pound frozen bags of sliced okra, black-eyed peas, and lima beans for $2.22 each @ Walmart. I eat lots of fresh but I think I will like having these things on hand for soups and a quick side dish.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-30-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 318/211/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm a fan of calorie counting for the reasons others have stated. Nothing is off limits as long as I keep track of my intake for the day. It takes some planning ahead. For example, if I knew I was going to have Hamburger Helper for dinner (as one of the examples you gave), I would make better choices through the day to make sure I didn't go over my caloric limit at dinner time. Works in the opposite, too. If I know I'm going to have a nice big salad for dinner, I might up my calories in some other part of the day.

I find it the easiest plan to follow. Good luck!
Mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #9  

You would do great with intuitive eating.... eating between hunger and satisfaction. Here is the thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?t=156125&page
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #10  

thanks so much you guys! I got on the daily plate last night and just put in my goals etc and I started counting today...Just finished dinner and I'm 4 calories under goal, lol.. so I'd say I'm done, lol.. but thank you all so much for your replies, it all really got me thinking...
Old 04-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #11  
Let It Go

S/C/G: 230/228/160

Height: 5'8"

I don't like to count calories or keep track of stuff like that. I have been losing weight by simply eating (whatever type of foods I want) every 3 hours. The way I do this is by eating breakfast then three hours later I eat half of my lunch. Then three hours later I eat the rest of my lunch. Three hours later I eat half of my dinner and then you guessed it, three hours later I eat the rest of it. This seems to work for me as I don't have to buy anything special for any type of diet. It's an eating lifestyle that seems to be working for me and best of all I don't feel like I am dieting!
delafax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #12  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

For less expensive fruits and veggies you might want to check out the Farmer's market in your area. I also sometimes order from the Angel Food's ministries...they have a variety fresh veggie/fruit basket that only costs about $20 bucks
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote