Weight Loss Support - Could sweetener be my problem?

View Full Version : Could sweetener be my problem?

sm177
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I've noticed lately I've been having disgestive issues, which has resulted in me being bloated more often than I'd like. My sweetener level increased since I started drinking more coffee, I probably intake 8-10 of those small packets a day. Should I give it up? Did anyone notice a pattern like this?

StarryNights110
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
What kind of sweetener have you been using?

If you've been using Splenda, then yes I have heard of people complaining of stomach problems/bloating/cramps when using it, especially that much in a day.

If it's Aspartame or something else, then I'm not sure. I know some people don't react well to it, I'm just not familiar with the symptoms.

sm177
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Currently it is splenda

srmb60
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
A coworker was reading a book about flat bellies or something like that. There was a lot of information about what causes abdominal bloating.

Maybe someone who's read it can give you some tips.

Tomato
03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I would cut down as much as possible. Aspartame is linked with a number of health issues and I believe artificial sweeteners can't be good for you no matter what.
Here is an article (http://www.something-fishy.org/dangers/sugarfat.php) that talks about Aspartame and mentions that the long-term effect if Splenda is not known.

ACivE
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Have you considered stevia instead of splenda? I can't do it in cold beverages but have switched over to using it in my coffee/tea. It doesn't dissolve as well as splenda but people say it's better for you. Who knows.

There's a new branding of it called truvia I think... but I think you can get regular old stevia waaaay cheaper at the health food store.

JulieJ08
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Most definitely maybe :)

Lots of people swear by giving up low/no cal sweeteners, lots of people swear by using them in small amounts.

You should definitely experiment and find out how they do/don't affect you. And each may affect you differently.