Weight Loss Support - Boycotting Fast Food

View Full Version : Boycotting Fast Food

glitterducky
03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
God I am so done with fast food. I was doing well on my program, eating well, exercising, so I went to a fast food place and decided to get something small. I didn't get the whole meal, just the sandwich, you know, just as a treat.

However, I went TWICE in one week. First to Taco Bell where I got two chalupas, and then a few days later where I went to McDonald's and got one of the mini meals. I feel like I have FAILED. I gave into the temptation, the draw of fast food. I gained 4 pounds this week. :(

A major downfall in this struggle. 15 pounds lost, 4 gained because of FAST FOOD. So I decided.... ALL FAST FOOD IS TERRIBLE. It's loaded with calories, saturated fats, sugar, etc. I compared it to sticking your head in a dumpster and then eating everything in sight.

I'm disappointed with myself for going to a fast food place twice in one week, an that I ruined 4 pounds worth of effort. So I'm boycotting it all together. I will never eat it again. That's how I got to this point in the first place.

Anyone else want to boycot fat food?!

Devsmama
03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Heck yeah, I'll join in the boycott!!!

jademarlene
03-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Im with you:carrot:

gggirls
03-29-2009, 06:18 PM
I have not visited fast food since September 4, 2007. There are still times when my car wants to automatically turn in BUT I don't. Why is it we "treat" ourselves for eating well and losing weight with food? (sorry - off the post)

Saramommy
03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I totally agree! Fast food ruins any effort I've given in the past. I'll join this boycott!!!

(I'll start tomorrow...I had pizza for lunch. Dang!!):nono:

cammieb
03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
OMG, yes! I went to Taco Bell once this week and got those 99 cent nachos, thinking that one time wouldn't hurt. Pffft. 1 1/2 pounds gained. Horrible. Simply horrible. I'm so joining this boycott.

tinycities
03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
You have not gained four pounds of fat from eating two modest fast-food meals. The two things you ate won't have even weighed close to four pounds, let alone four pounds of solid fat. A normal burger from a fast food place like McDonalds weighs around 200g.

The more likely explanation for your gain is that you may be retaining more water than usual. Fast food tends to be high in sodium, and this may be what's caused the numbers on the scale to go up. Weight fluctuates naturally too, whatever you put into your body, and it could just be that a natural fluctuation up has also coincided with this meal, making the effects appear even more dramatic. Sure, weight and bloating from water isn't desirable, but when people try and lose weight it should be fat that you want to lose, not weight in general. Water weight can come and go much more rapidly and it's nothing to get really worried over (unless of course, you have a real problem with frequent water retention because of a diet that is persistently high in sodium).

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to avoid fast food at all. But I think you just need to choose not to eat it for the reasons you said in that it's high calorie, high in saturated fat, sodium etc, not because it's appeared to make you gain weight from just a couple of portions. Those are all good and sensible reasons, but at the same time, I really don't think you should misrepresent the actual fat-gain effects from eating one or two meals of fast food.

Personally, I'll never ban myself from eating fast food. I have it maybe a couple of times a month, and I personally don't believe in banning any foods that I enjoy from my diet. If I start to hate fast food, I'll stop eating it. For me, when I start demonising foods and banning them, that is when I feel like a fat person on a diet, not just a regular person who wants to eat healthily for life. I don't know your personal circumstances, and obviously, your views are different to mine, there's no one "right" way to go about things.

I sincerely hope that I don't come across as impolite or disrespectful in my post. If banning fast food outright works for you then by all means do it. I just don't want you to feel rubbish and worry that you've gained four pounds of fat when it's just not possible for that to have happened from the situation you've described. Just make sure to drink plenty of water over the next few days, avoid high-sodium foods, and I think you may find those pounds drop off.

jajabee
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I ate a lot of fast food as a kid, it was a normal thing to do in my family. Not so in my husband's family. I'd already started eating less before I met him 8 years ago, but his views of it sealed the deal... in our house, "fast food" isn't food at all. We don't see it as an option up for consideration.

Now, of course, we've both also been pretty decently overweight for most of our lives (he lost his 3 years ago and it's not coming back), so it's not like cutting out fast-food is a miracle cure or anything, but I am very, VERY happy that I'm not giving McDonald's any more money for them to brainwash us and kill the planet. :P

junebug41
03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I haven't eaten fast food in around 4 years. It isn't something I miss in the slightest. All I have to think as I drive by McDonalds is "there's poop in that meat" (Fast Food Nation) and I have no desire to eat poo, you know? ;)

Devsmama
03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
For me, its simple. I have high blood pressure right now, I got fat from eating fast food all of the time. I haven't touched it in two weeks. I can't even afford to eat out all of the time anyway, so it's a no-brainer----BOYCOTT! lol

time2lose
03-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I am a big believer in "whatever works for you" so if banning fast food works for you, I say go for it. It has worked for me to work some fast food into my diet. About twice a month, I eat at the Subway on my campus instead of taking my lunch. I can have the ham and turkey sandwich for about 350 calories or a salad for less.

I use Taco Bell to satisfy serious fast food carvings. My family loves to pick up Taco Bell and we do that about twice a month. I get one hard shell taco which is 150 calories. I make sure that I have a bag of shredded lettuce in the frig and I dump the shredded lettuce into a huge bowl, break up the hard taco into the lettuce and stir. I have a huge salad that I love for less than 200 calories.

I had to totally ban the chicken biscuit meal from Hardee's that I used to love. About 3 months after I start this journey, I saved the calories for that breakfast. I was so disappointed! It was just a mouthful of grease that I ended up throwing out.

So I guess I limit my fast food but do not ban it altogether. That would probably just make me want it more.

Fat Pants
03-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I understand! I gave up fast food for Lent, but I think I'll be give it up for good even when Lent is over. It's been 26 days and I don't miss it at all. The hardest part was always on Fridays - that's my usual going out to lunch day and since giving up fast food, I bring my lunch 5 days a week now. Plus, it saves us money (around $40-50 a month)... and I'm losing weight.

Glory87
03-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Haven't touched it since July 2004. For me, it's not even real food, there's nothing of nutritional value in it. Tasting good isn't enough for me to eat it. I respect folks that want to keep everything in moderation, but I just can't eat it - to me, it's nearly to the level of rat poison. Another great book to read is Food Matters by Mark Bittman - learning about what goes into producing a fast food burger (energy wise) it's pretty compelling stuff.

murphmitch
03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
In an emergency on the road I have ordered a grilled chicken breast and thrown away the bun. I eat the tomato, lettuce and chicken. It's saved me a couple times when I was starving and didn't have any food with me.

ladyrider72472
03-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I am joining the boycott, as a personal preference for me. I agree that the food has almost no nutritional value-- although it tastes good. As well, it seems like the more I eat the more I want-- one trip turns into two, three, and so on. It is better just to cut it out as a choice for ME.

kestrel
03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I compared it to sticking your head in a dumpster and then eating everything in sight.

This is such a great analogy! I'm going to remember this the next time I want to hit the drive-thru. I'm not saying that fast food is evil or that everyone should avoid it, but personally I know it is my Achilles' heel.

newleaf123
03-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't eat any fast food, just because I don't. I didn't grow up eating it, and it's just not something I ever developed a taste for. BUT, I understand completely. For me, I have to ban candy, literally. I just can't eat a little, it always ends up being a lot, and then starts me down a road of hunting out more and more sugar. I feel like it would be easier if I just mainlined sugar, IYKWIM. If I just don't eat it, then I stop wanting it...

thistoo
03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, just to play Devil's advocate, it is possible to eat a reasonably healthy fast food meal, if you order the right thing. I have never been much of a fast food person, but occasionally, if I'm on the road or whatever, I will pick up a grilled snack wrap from McDonald's (260 calories) for lunch. Or I order the grilled Southwest salad, which is about 350 calories, I think, and I only use maybe half the dressing. Their sugar free iced coffees are lower calorie than Starbucks iced lattes as well, and cheaper too.

I sometimes get a turkey or roast beef sandwich from Subway, and that's only about 300 calories because I don't ever, ever eat mayo. I also like the suggestion above about making your own taco salad from a Taco Bell taco.

I'm just saying that all fast food isn't inherently evil, it's just a matter of planning ahead and not ordering the stuff that will trigger old cravings.

glitterducky
03-29-2009, 08:27 PM
SO many great responses here :)

I forgot to mention that I'm not eating it because I felt so sick and sluggish afterward. It's not for me. Plus, I think I went a second time because I got the taste for the greasy processed food. Ugh. No more. Not for me.

pocketful of posies
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I feel ya. I'm in :).

teawithsunshine
03-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I'll join the boycott!! :)

Really, I stopped eating processed foods when I realized a lot of it came from the fast food industry. And even the "good" processed foods would sneak in crap in their ingredients list like corn syrup, etc.

Don't beat yourself up on the fast food binges.... just get back on track with your next meal as a healthy choice and go and do your next workout routine as usual. You can do it! :)

sunflowergirl68
03-30-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm a pescatarian (no meat, only seafood) so I naturally don't eat at any fast food places besides Taco Bell, and also because the fish sandwiches at fast food places are just simply disgusting. I tried the fish filet at Carl's Jr, ate two bites and threw it away.

anyways, i agree with what tinycities said. The only way you'll not want to eat a food is if you become totally disgusted by it. Like with me with meat. You might end up sabotaging yourself, so don't be so strict with the ban, allow it once a week or twice a month.

rainy
03-30-2009, 02:43 AM
I've last been to a fast food when I was 7, which means in 1993...that was Burgy times, the pre-MacDonald's age, at least for my country.
Anyways, I've not gone there since that time so lol, I'm definitely boycotting them! :D

learningtoliveagain
03-30-2009, 04:06 AM
I too am on a no fast food quest. It's just something that I personally have to do. Otherwise I would eat it every day. I am also not working so I have to save money in as many ways as possible.

JulieJ08
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Becoming vegetarian makes it easier to boycott fast food. When I was eating meat I could get chicken on salad and feel pretty good about it. But there's not much high veggie, whole grain, some protein kinda stuff going on in fast food.

glitterducky
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how supportive everyone on this board is. :carrot:

On a side note, kind of related to fast food. It totally disgusted me. I saw this on Yahoo.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_bodacious_burger

It's a baseball stadium that ow has a 4,800 calorie burger. My question is, why is something like this even legal in the US? Why isn't it this sort of thing banned becausei t's a health risk? I just don't get it. And I'm so glad many of you are with me on this boycott of fast food. I am seriously so done wasting my money and calorie intake on garbage. Even the "salads" are questionable. :mad:........ I've always taking a like towards fast food. It's very addicted for me, but this little incident I had this week has done it for me.

Thanks for all the support :) :hug:

rockinrobin
03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
You might end up sabotaging yourself, so don't be so strict with the ban, allow it once a week or twice a month.

But why? Why would you want to eat something once a week or twice a month if it makes you sick and sluggish, like glitterducky said it did to her? Why?

Why would you want to eat something once a week, if you're so repulsed by it, you liken in it sticking your head in a dumpster?

Why would you want to eat something that makes you miserable right after eating it?

Why would you plan to eat something once a week or twice a month that you've vowed NOT TO?

It's not like giving up high quality, nutritious, valuable, vital to living food. It's giving up worthless and in fact HARMFUL food, for all intents and purposes - garbage.

Glitterducky, I think you've come to a great realization and I'm EXCITED for you. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Devsmama
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Thank you glitteryduck for even suggesting this...It certainly makes for a good challenge...I could certainly eat every hot wing, cheeseburger and fries in sight and don't get me started on Penn Station!!! Then afterwards I just want to throw up..This is most def a personal choice for me and I just don't need that stuff or to drop dead of clogged arteries at 35.

Saramommy
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
rockinrobin: You have great points!! Why allow it?! I believe if you allow it once then it could also set a ball in motion where you eat more and more and pretty soon you're stuck in the same mucky muck of the fast food eating cycle.

That's why I'm boycotting. I believe after a couple of weeks of going without it, it will get easier (the first week or so will be the hardest for me)...and pretty soon it won't even be a challenge to go without fast food...I hope! :crossed: :)

**Next on my list is to cut out soda...but I'll hold off on that boycott for now** ;)

munchievictim
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm definitely on board with this. I recently rented Supersize Me, which I highly highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and I'm totally of the belief that fast food is evil and should be boycotted. The movie makes a very compelling argument, and when its over you have to consider whether it's child abuse for a parent to take their child to McDonalds.
Don't feed it to your kids, don't feed it to yourself, throw it out as an option. No couple of times a month for me, I don't care how good it tastes. That stuff is garbage.

munchievictim
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Also, I read a quote once somewhere that said, "Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a crackhouse for vitamins."
I think that says it all about so-called 'healthy options.'

beerab
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I wish I could ban it all- but I LOVE Taco bell, I'd say once a month (if that now) I'll have one of the supreme nachos- not the bell grande- the smaller one. Or a taco salad or something.

My fast food is usually subway nowadays- I go to school 2x a week and just get a footlong (eat half before class then the other half after- class is 4 hours). Today I'm going to try the sweet onion chicken teryaki with lettuce, tomato, and that's it lol. Probably gonna get it toasted as well. But that's much healthier than any other "fast food."

I say more power to you if you can do it :D

jboogie773
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I just pigged out on Pizza Hut. Yeah, think it's time I swear it off all together.

Tomato
03-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey rainy,

Is your avatar from Love Actually? Such an awesome movie.

onesy
03-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Good for you! It's hard mentally to give up fast food, I think, but you actually aren't missing much. The food is high in fat and calories but low in nutrients. Also, the taste isn't that great when compared to healthier foods. It was hard for me to give up fast food, but honestly it has been a great thing. I still get out food once every couple of months, but I think it's ok as long as the rest of the time I eat what makes me healthy. Good for you! And you'll lose those four pounds!

Thighs Be Gone
03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I haven't had it in about 9 months now or more. I don't miss it but if I did I would work it in somehow. In general, the food there just isn't worth the calories. I would rather spend my calories on other stuff.

sacha
03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Fast food can be incorporated into a healty eating style, but you have to be very aware of what you are choosing. First, all fast food likely contains bad ingredients, HOWEVER, I can imagine many common "diet-friendly" foods contain that as well (for example, frozen dinners such as Lean Cuisine, snack bars, etc). I don't view fast food as any different than a lean cuisine.

At McDonalds, you can choose to buy a 1% child's milk, cut apples, and a grilled chicken burger with no sauce. The bun isn't great but it isn't horrible for a once-a-week/month choice. The milk and apples is a great snack if you are shopping in Walmart.

At Taco Bell, you can have a wheat vegan burrito (whole wheat wrap, beans, veggies, no cheese or guac/sour cream, put hot sauce)

Etc... lots of great choices. You have to make the decision.

THEN AGAIN... if it makes you feel like crap, don't eat it! Of course!

sacha
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Today I'm going to try the sweet onion chicken teryaki with lettuce, tomato, and that's it lol. Probably gonna get it toasted as well. But that's much healthier than any other "fast food."

Actually, a footlong Sweet Onion Chicken Teryaki has 740 calories, 10g fat, almost 2400mg sodium (!!!!), 120g carbs, (but 50g of protein!).
(http://world.subway.com/Countries/NutritionFiles/CanNutritionValues.pdf). This is not that much different than a big mac or any other kind of burger! And that doesn't even include the sweet sauce (80 calories for a footlong)

I hope I didn't ruin your lunch, but make sure to check out the nutrition info before assuming it is healthy! Subway has tons of unhealthy "healthy" options!

murphmitch
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
[/Quote] It's a baseball stadium that ow has a 4,800 calorie burger. My question is, why is something like this even legal in the US? Why isn't it this sort of thing banned becausei t's a health risk? I just don't get it. [/QUOTE]

This always blows my mind when someone wants to make sinful food illegal. It is not the government's job to decide what food you eat. Only you can do that. Why not ban candy manufacturers and bakeries from making their products? Or ice cream stores? Or doughnut shops? Or tobacco or alcohol? The government can't babysit everyone. People have to just use common sense.

junebug41
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
[/QUOTE]It's a baseball stadium that ow has a 4,800 calorie burger. My question is, why is something like this even legal in the US? Why isn't it this sort of thing banned becausei t's a health risk? I just don't get it.

This always blows my mind when someone wants to make sinful food illegal. It is not the government's job to decide what food you eat. Only you can do that. Why not ban candy manufacturers and bakeries from making their products? Or ice cream stores? Or doughnut shops? Or tobacco or alcohol? The government can't babysit everyone. People have to just use common sense.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I believe in full disclosure, but police yourself.
Fast food can be incorporated into a healty eating style, but you have to be very aware of what you are choosing. First, all fast food likely contains bad ingredients, HOWEVER, I can imagine many common "diet-friendly" foods contain that as well (for example, frozen dinners such as Lean Cuisine, snack bars, etc). I don't view fast food as any different than a lean cuisine.

At McDonalds, you can choose to buy a 1% child's milk, cut apples, and a grilled chicken burger with no sauce. The bun isn't great but it isn't horrible for a once-a-week/month choice. The milk and apples is a great snack if you are shopping in Walmart.

At Taco Bell, you can have a wheat vegan burrito (whole wheat wrap, beans, veggies, no cheese or guac/sour cream, put hot sauce)

Eh, I think the "great choices" are so very limited that it's hardly worth "eating out". I would never eat out to get a packet of apples God knows how many people touched or a paltry burger. It also isn't just about the chemicals and preservatives. The quality of the food is deplorable, the prep conditions are deplorable... I guess the phrase, "there's s*** in the meat" has never left my mind. (For the record, I don't eat lean cuisines either, simply because they aren't satisfying for the cals and sodium)

In the 4 years I've not had fast food, I've never once felt like my only choice was to eat fast food or go hungry. I know other's make difference decisions and I judge the food itself and not the people, but I think there are *better* options in any situation. Just my 2 cents of course.

WhitePicketFences
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't outright ban anything, but I dislike most fast food. I think I've only eaten it every other year or so. I don't think I've ever even been to a Taco Bell. I guess I have my parents to thank for this -- wasn't allowed to eat it growing up, except for dunkin donuts pick up for the annual road trip. When I turned 14 they let me go McDonalds with a friend and try something, which I was excited about and then thought was gross (don't even remember what it was). The only fast food I've even regularly was mozzerella sticks at the Friendly's during high school (big social spot) and cheese sandwiches at the Student Union Subway, which I got regularly throughout college (they're nothing special, but they're not gross).

Still have love for Dunkin Donuts, though I haven't seen one in about 4 years.

I do get take out/restaurant food about every other week -- either half of a hot sausage sandwich from my favorite pizza place (I mostly make my own pizzas now that I have a bread machine) or a veggie dish from a local mediterranean deli.

WhitePicketFences
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh! I do appreciate Amy's frozen foods, though ... tasty and hearty, don't leave me with that feeling. I have some in my freezer, ranging from between 260-420 cals. I like to nuke one of those for dinner when it's just me.

Looking4Change
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree! I haven't went to a fast food place in a long time, however it is really hard not to want it when your co-workers are walking by you with MacDonalds, Wendy's etc etc.... I will prevail!!! :)

prepping
03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't remember the last time I got fast food and it started because:
1. Too expensive
2. It would taste so much better if I made it myself.
Like Taco Bell? try using ground chicken with Old El Paso seasoning and you'll never crave taco bell again. :)

ICUwishing
03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not at the point where I can declare fast food banned completely, but I definitely have changed my choices and reduced the frequency. I do try to keep a couple of frozen dinners around for those seriously time-mismanaged days - and I agree with WhitePicket - Amy's is absolutely wonderful - tasty, filling, and recipes that inspire me to do more fresh cooking!

glitterducky
03-31-2009, 02:08 PM

If you're going to go this extreme, I see no point in even eating out. Not to offend anyone who may work at a fast food place, but the people who work at the Taco Bell, near by, for example are all incapable of comprehending this. Most of them barely speak English to begin with, and every time I have tried to order something different than the normal, it gets messed up in some way. They are trained to make food a certain way, there's a certain process, and anything different than that, and it fails. This is not true true of all fast food workers, just the ones by where I live, especially at the Taco Bell. I see no point in making their job difficult by ordering something complicated. I'd rather just save the money and skip it all together or just make my own, as someone else suggested, which I thought was a great idea.

sacha
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't see it as an extreme... I used to work in fast food when I was in high school, and it didn't bother me to make exceptions. It was pretty common, especially with allergies. Sometimes, I feel like a snack at the mall, so it's the best way to go at the food court. I don't leave the house to specifically get fast food (I would go to a restaurant), so if I'm on the go, why not.

I understand some people think I'm crazy for this, but learning to do this was one of my weightloss techniques. It works for me. Doesn't work for anyone, but it did for me.

MelodyLeigh
03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
I believe that letting go of fast food is such an obvious choice, and yet a lot of us still eat it (myself included). It's not only better for our bodies, it's better for our wallets.

Take a 99 cent soft taco from Taco Bell. People who go through drive-thrus probably think this is a great deal. But then let's take a look at making our own tacos. It's around 2 or 3 dollars for a pound of beef, a few dollars for tortillas, and then put in them whatever you have on hand. This will make you many tacos, at a fraction of the price. You don't only SEE exactly what you're putting into your taco, you're also saving money.

Seems pretty simple. I'll join the ban.

mygritsconfessions
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Have you ever looked the nutrition on any fast food? It's alarming, especially the SODIUM! I was even surprised my Subway and the sodium in the low calorie subs. Arby's too. I really believe all of it is bad. It is loaded with chemicals and sodium, so it can stay fresh longer. Anytime I eat (or should I say ate) fast foods I retained water and puffed up. Plus I had headaches frequently and just felt like crap. It's not worth it.

ennay
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM
OK...I'm gonna pop in mostly to be argumentative. Gonna say up front, if you dont like anything about fast food, then dont go..I'm not trying to convince you to.

I see a lot of people who condemn fast food yet still eat out at other restaurants. I hate to break it to you but with rare exceptions "high quality" "sit down" dining is not better for you. It does taste better, for which I am grateful, but at the same time the portions tend to be even larger and many of the food "seems healthier" so it is easier to justify eating more. I have a much much harder time getting out of a real restaurant for a decent calorie alotment. And unless it is a family owned open kitchen that explicitly states sources of food you may be getting just as poor a quality of ingredients.

Supersize me is hardly an unbiased look at the industry, it is sensationalized quite a bit.

First of all, I dont think taking a child to fast food occasionally is "child abuse" as one poster stated. If that was 3 meals a day and the only food available and your child is overweight that is a whole different deal.

Yes I take my kids there occasionally - its the only indoor play area in town large enough to actually run. In a rainy rainy state, that is pretty valuable. A few french fries for them and a less than stellar salad for me in exchange for a solid 2 hours of high intensity play is an ok trade off.

I see nothing EXTREME about ordering the best choice you can there. (I also live in an area where english is not the first language of many employees and they seem to manage just fine)

My kids get their meal apples & we all 3 share 1 kid size fries *heh my 2 year old told the sitter off when she took him to McD's to play and got him fries and no apples*

Which leads to teaching choices vs. being overly restrictive.

My husband came from a household where they ate fast food occasionally. They had coke in the fridge. They ate white bread, Jif and jelly. They always had potato chips in the house. They always had cookies in the house. Neither dh or his siblings are overweight at all or have ANY issues with food. Food was never classified as "good" or "bad". If it was there and you were hungry you ate it. When you were not hungry you stopped eating. What a concept. They had general rules. They drank pop only between meals, milk with meals etc. A meal consisted of a variety of food, simply eating chips for a meal wouldnt have been ok. But for the most part they just didnt sweat the occasional junk. My husband can bring a box of cookies home from work, sit them on the counter and not eat them for weeks.

I grew up in a household where everything was healthy, everything was organic, everything was whole grain. I never ate fast food until i was in highschool on a field trip. I never had pop until about 9 th grade. Candy was limited to easter, halloween and Xmas. And we made popcorn for halloween- healthy us. Every single one of us kids has weight issues. We learned to sneak chips and candy and hoard our money to go buy it. When we did get junk at a friends house we gorged. We were made to clean our plates before dessert so we learned to stuff ourselves on our healthy organic vegetables. And then we stuffed ourselves on the rare treats.

Balance. Balance people. Fast food is not EVIL. It isnt good for you, it isnt nutritious, it doesnt taste great. Eat it, dont eat it, but sheesh.

Lachelle
03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm on board with the ban. I haven't eaten regular fast food for 2 weeks (when I started this.) My exception is Subway, for lunch on work days.

ravenousblue
03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Please don't be so hard on yourself - but learn from your mistake. Maybe having the fast food one time in the week and than working out a bit harder the next couple of days would have negated the weight gain. We all have bad days though! I do think avoiding fast food is a wise choice, due to the detrimental health effects. Did you ever watch "SuperSize Me"? I do however, enjoy the occasional chicken nugget. I would honestly eat at BK or MCD's since I know how many fats/cals I am ingesting rather than the food at Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Chilis etc.. THOSE places STRESS me out with there 2K calorie burger platters

sacha
03-31-2009, 05:52 PM
ennay, thank you for your incredible post!

The bottom line is that people need to make informed choices and integrate those choices into a healthy(healthier?) lifestyle. You can easily make better choices at a fast food restaurant and quite frankly, most restaurants are hardly any better, if not worse. Moderation is KEY.

If you choose not to step in a fast food restaurant ever, ever again, then that is fine, that is your choice in your lifestyle. However, it is strange to make the assumption that all food available in a fast food restaurant is garbage. It isn't.

Tons of diet-oriented products contain the same chemicals, such as weight watchers meals, diet coke, "snack pack" calorie chips, etc. If people choose to incorporate those into their daily lives, then fine.

Just be informed!

Being informed means looking at labels and ingredients. Do the calculations! The average sub at Subway is NOT much better than a big mac! Choose whole grain bread, turkey, no sauce except mustard, and veggies, and be aware that you are eating an extraordinary amount of sodium! KNOW that the yogurt with berries at McDonalds contains something like 30+grams of sugar! Choose the milk and apples if this is a problem!

Choices! I have been at my goal weight for about four years now. Choices are what keeps you SANE when maintaining. An all-or-nothing attitude often leads to downfall.

But if you still hate fast food, go ahead, don't eat it! That's your choice and there's nothing wrong with it!

midwife
03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Fast food = child abuse?

It's certainly okay to boycott fast food. I know that we have dropped fast food considerably at our house, but we still get it on occasion. I hardly think my children are abused by that. But if that is their biggest problem in life, they don't have that bad of a life.

ManyNamed
03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Ennay, thank you for that great post. I will agree wholeheartedly because, like you, I came from a family that never had candy, chips etc. in the house and when I was allowed something like that, it was in incredibly small amounts. Again like you, I learned to sneak treats and binge on 'forbidden' foods. Not a good idea. By contrast, my uncle's family had those things and my cousins never had weight issues.

I agree that fast food, indeed the majority of all bought cooked food, is not as healthy is home made food. Most of the time I'm happier with something I cook myself but on occasion I give into the convenience or nostalga and buy fast food. I'm just glad that there has been a push to offer healthier options, so I can buy that rather than a Quarterpounder or Big Mac!

MN.

glitterducky
04-01-2009, 12:11 AM
To restate my post... I'm not eating fast food anymore. I never feel lazy, worthless and sluggish, however once I eat fast food, I feel this way. It's not that I'm going to other sit down restaurants either.

There was a time when I was going to fast food probably 4-5 times a week. I was so addicted to the high fat contents, the easy, thoughtless-ness of it, the artificial tastes. I decided not to go for me, because I don't want to get a taste for it. So easiest thing for me is just not go.

Fast food lead to bad choice after bad choice for me. I go and scarf down a meal at Taco Bell, and feel sluggish afterward, so I don't exercise, and it's a slippery slope for me. On this journey, I'm trying to make good choice after good choice, and not going to fast food places is one of the best choices I've made thus far.

Jeannette311
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I'll boycott with ya! Fast Food is my demise. I think it's why I've been getting my headaches and so tired this week.