South Beach Diet - A fine wine product = wine

View Full Version : A fine wine product = wine

CyndiM
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
like velveeta = cheese. Today I learned to read all labels more carefully. I picked up a bottle of Arbor Mist wine at the grocery store. Since I don't usually chill wine I hadn't chilled that which turned out to be a good thing. One sip and I knew I didn't want to drink it at room temp. I thought it tasted pretty sweet for a merlot and looked at the label - 21 grams of sugars in one glass of wine! Then I checked the ingredients. The first three are merlot, water and high fructose corn syrup. Apparently I'd purchased a high octane wine cooler :(

The moral of this story - read all labels. :dizzy:

meeko77
03-28-2009, 06:53 PM
So true. My problem is I only like the sweet drinks. Which pretty much means I will be giving up drinking for a while. Not that I drink often, but when I do, I tend to do a lot of sweet drinks.

I wish I could learn to like red wine. Or any wine for that matter.

Leeesa
03-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Actually, I am a super-sweet, or creamy-drink fan myself, however, I have weirdly developed a taste for red wine (still don't like white). Meeko 77, there is hope, some red wines are actually quite fruity and somehow "satisfying" a Yellowtail Shiraz comes to mind. It did take me awhile to develop a taste for it, but I did and now I rarely have the sweet, creamy drinks that I used to love so much. I think I started drinking red wine when I went out because it lasted longer and was lower in calories than my other faves and one day I realized that I'd actually developed a taste for it. So if I can, anyone can! Hmm, is it happy hour yet?

swandive81
03-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Haha... back in college, we used to refer to Arbor Mist as a 40oz. of wine cooler. I honestly feel that the target market for a product like that is females under the age of 21.

It's a shame that your purchase had to go to waste. Especially since I am sure you were looking forward to relaxing with a glass of wine :(

CyndiM
03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I can see it as a drive-in drink. We used to take Mike's a lot for that. It's certainly not a SBD beverage though. Luckily I had another bottle of Italian red so I'm set ;)

swandive81
03-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Ooh, totally OT, but I have never been to a drive-in. The last one in Jersey closed when I was very young. An experience I am afraid I will never have...

cottagebythesea
03-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for that info, Cyndi. I have two bottles of Arbor Mist in the fridge, and I'm embarrassed to say that I never even considered looking at the labels. :o Lesson learned. I'll save them for guests.

CyndiM
03-28-2009, 08:19 PM
It never occurred to me before either. I assumed that if it came in a wine bottle and was sold in the wine department it was wine. I was a bit embarrassed when I read the label. I really hate sneaky added sugar :mad:

jademarlene
03-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Ooh, totally OT, but I have never been to a drive-in. The last one in Jersey closed when I was very young. An experience I am afraid I will never have...

There is a drive-in right down the road from me, should be opening for the season in April.

jademarlene
03-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh and I like the sweet wines, Bug Juice is my fav.

zeffryn
03-28-2009, 09:44 PM
It's just a slightly more dignified version of Boone's Farm. :)

CountingDown
03-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Ah, fond memories of Boone's Farm - back in the 70's :D

I'm a dry red kinda gal now ;)

grneyedmustang
03-28-2009, 11:58 PM

Very true. I call it Boone's Farm of the 90's, because we were drinking it when I was in college (late 90's) and not old enough to drink (shhhh don't tell) :yikes:.

I do remember Arbor Mist being very sweet - which is probably why I liked it. Now, give me a good Riesling or Chardonnay anyday. I'm even learning to like Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Pinot Noir.

I'm still kind of shocked that Arbor Mist has HFCS in it though!

TwynnB
03-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Now...you made me look!

My husband bought a bottle of red wine called menage a trois. (hee hee hee...I told him it's the closest he'll ever get!! He keeps asking me if I liked it...)

It doesn't have anything on a label ...sugar, ingredients, etc. Do you assume there's no added HFCS? It doesn't taste that sweet to me, but I did enjoy it.

CyndiM
03-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Real wine is just grapes so they don't need to list ingredients. I think I was too old to know about Arbor Mist. I was drinking tequila when it was popular with the younger crowd ;) I was lured by the thought of a raspberry merlot because I fell in love with a local cranberry wine. Oops. I will certainly watch labels for the "a X product" rather than just "X". I think that's where I got in trouble.

KO
03-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I had Arbor Mist at a friends birthday many many years ago and was like OMG it's Boones! Cheap College Wine! only AM is not so cheap lol meeemmmmmmmmmmories!!
I do love a Fruity Shiraz or a citrusy Pino noir!! Love white too

Thighs Be Gone
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Red girl here. I used to love Reislings--still somewhat do but switched to red for the antioxidant properties.

LOL--anyone remember Mad Dog 20/20!!!

swandive81
03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Mmm, Reisling... when we were in college, BF was a journalism major, and for an assignment he went and interviewed a winery proprietor in the finger lakes. The man was very old and very much a wino, apparently... anyways, he gave BF an entire case of Reisling for free! That's how we really learned to appreciate wine, and I stil have a strong taste for reisling.

Incidentally, BF failed the assignment... journalists are NEVER supposed to accept gifts! Lesson learned... :) :)

Chelby29
03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Journalists are never supposed to TELL they accept gifts. :D

PorkChopNoMore
03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
So true on the Wine Coolers, pre made drinks/mixes.

I am not on SB but this is what I do for WW.

My new drink of choice if its not wine, I LOVE Pacific Rim Riesling or New Age (Sparkling White wine) is Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry/Pomegranate juice with a shot of Amaretto or Vodka. You only have to count the 2pts per shot as the juice is diet and only 5 calories a cup.

Betsi
03-29-2009, 12:26 PM
So true on the Wine Coolers, pre made drinks/mixes.

I am not on SB but this is what I do for WW.

My new drink of choice if its not wine, I LOVE Pacific Rim Riesling or New Age (Sparkling White wine) is Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry/Pomegranate juice with a shot of Amaretto or Vodka. You only have to count the 2pts per shot as the juice is diet and only 5 calories a cup.

Ooh, that sounds yummy! Diet or not though, it probably has too much sugar for us Beachers. I may have to try that as a planned treat on Phase Two though. ;)

weezle
03-29-2009, 12:54 PM

I was going to ask if Arbor Mist was like Boone's Farm. At $2 a bottle, it was the perfect alcoholic drink for underage college students.......

grneyedmustang
03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Red girl here. I used to love Reislings--still somewhat do but switched to red for the antioxidant properties.

LOL--anyone remember Mad Dog 20/20!!!

UGH. I dated a guy two years ago who drank MD 20/20 *quite* a bit.

Anyone remember malt duck? I remember my mom drinking it sometimes. LOL. I think it was before wine coolers became big.

femmecreole
03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
EWWWWWWWWWWWW...Boone's Farm...
Reminds me of Mardi Gras about 1972 when a gutter and I got very well aquainted in the French Quarter...with an audience.

beachgal
03-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Swandive, I live in the Finger Lakes. :love: I stick to the dryer ones, but reislings are one of our best wines, so I definitely drink it, even though it's white. ;)

Cyndi, that's a shame! I used to live in CA, and I can see how you could get confused when it's in among all the other wines. Here in NY, where it's (at least at this point) still illegal for the grocery store to sell wine, but where they sell Arbor Mist, Boone's Farm, wine coolers, and beer, it's easier to see the separation. ;)

Meeko77, I used to be the type of person to drink Ice wine (that stuff is even sweeter than Manischewitz or cough syrup) with dinner! So I hear you on loving sweeeeeeet wines. However, when I started SBD, I tried drinking red wines and found, much to my huge surprise, that I could learn to like them! One thing that helped was that, when I went to restaurants that had them, I tried red wine flights (a little bit of several types of wine). That way I got to taste several of them at once and see what I liked. Some work for me, some don't. You'll get the hang of it. However, there's no reason you can't drink dry white wine, if you want. Be aware, though, that the reds have better health benefits. :)

KO
03-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Laurie & Swan I've been wanting to do a weekend in the Finger lakes FOREVER soo beautiful up there :love: so jealous
So Jealous about a case of Free Reisling too!!
Dh and I had (before I hopped back on the beach towel) A white chardonnay from TJ's called French Cat Soo good and about 3.99 ish or maybe 6

swandive81
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
I miss upstate ny a lot... not the winters, for sure, but it was really beautiful up there. big fan of skaneateles, we keep meaning to get back, but life seems to get in the way...

you can always get finger lakes wines at the various NYC greenmarkets though, so I can always get a taste of the region...

KO
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Swqan I love the Union Square Green Market I was there about 2 weeks ago!!

swandive81
04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
KO- That's my favorite place in the world! My first job in the city was right up the street, I used to go for lunch and get a chunk of cheese, a whole wheat roll, and a whole tomato... I felt so European!

Where in NJ are you located?

beachgal
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
One of the best wineries for Finger Lake reislings is Dr. Konstantin Frank (http://www.drfrankwines.com/), though there are many other good ones. My favorite winery is Hazlitt 1852 (http://www.hazlitt1852.com/), though. Their "Red Cat" is divine, though not very SBD friendly, so I haven't had it in years. Their "Schooner" wines, though, are fine for SBD and really good. I also adore "Love My Goat (http://corkd.com/wine/view/1560-Love_My_Goat)" red from Bully Hill Vineyards (http://www.bullyhill.com/). It's inexpensive and not too dry--goes great with nearly everything and is very, very SBD-safe. Yum!

swandive81
04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Ahhh! Dr. Konstantin Frank was the winery we got the case from... ahh, memories. I actually ran into a representative from the winery at the Boston Wine Expo a few years later (I was there on a business trip... ahh, the days of working at a food mag!), and she had said that the old guy my BF had interviewed had passed. I know that man wasn't Dr. Konstantin Frank, but in my head he totally was...

KO
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Swan I'm a 45 min train ride to the city I go in fairly often (I'm a writer) We should have lunch!

swandive81
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
That would be fun! PM me next time you're heading in