Weight Loss Support - care about your (clothing) appearance in the gym as you lose weight?

teawithsunshine
03-28-2009, 04:11 AM
There are days when I care about how I present myself in exercise clothes when I'm in the gym. Other days, I could care less-- as long as I get the job done in exercising to keep dropping pounds.

I see a variety of people in the gym... some dress like total (and I do mean total) slobs -- and has nothing to do with their weight. Others dress like it's time to shoot an exercise video (show off their ripped bodies or not, etc).

Do you guys care about how you present yourself in the gym as you lose more and more weight?

~ tea

cdawnfine
03-28-2009, 07:01 AM
It's Funny when I first started gong to the Gym I could not wear clothes big enough (or so I thought) I thought that if I wore big clothes no one would see how big I really am when the reality was I looked sloppy. Now I wear clothes that fit, not to tight and not to big. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that when I was bigger I thought everyone was looking at me because I thought I was too big to be there. The gym I am at now is very comfortable I have been to one many years ago where it was like going to a singles bar the girls had on more make up and jewlery than I wear on a daily basis. My current gym is a nice mix of people.

Su-Bee
03-28-2009, 07:55 AM
I could care less. I see the girls who spend $60 on a pair of gym shorts - my gym shorts come off the $5 clearance rack. My gym t-shirts are those free t-shirts you get wherever (for doing a 5k run, or giving blood, or what have you). I'm not going to spend good money on s/th I'm only going to wear to get all sweaty & gross in!

Devsmama
03-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Nope, don't care. I usually wear a hoodie over my head so that I can concentrate...lol..I do wear nice sweats, not big and not tight and a tshirt, but no matter what I have to be comfortable.

JayEll
03-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Nope. I go to the gym to work out. I wear shorts and a loose T-shirt. I'd like to get some workout tights, though. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Jay

losermom
03-28-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't really care what I look like. I'm there to get 'er done! I wear oversized capri sweats that I should probably replace because they're too big for me and a freebie t-shirt. I work out with a bunch of college kids because I work at a university and do weight training at lunchtime. Nobody's looking at me because I'm the age of their moms!

enchantedonyx
03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
The tshirt I wear to the gym is a bit too small and it hugs my muffin top. I wear it because it is my power color and I feel good wearing that color. I realized the other day that although my fat is flying, I am standing upright on the elliptical machine and getting in a good workout while another woman who is there when I am might be dressed better but is clinging to the machine for dear life (I seriously worry about her posture). I also wear the same thing almost every day. I only have one pair of "pants" that fits me so I wear them every day. And the power tshirt matches them. I refuse to spend money on exercise clothes when I plan for them to be too big in a month or so.

Just now I put on leggings and a tank top and a two-sizes too big long sleeve tshirt, but that's because it's an outside day and I'll be exercising on the hiking trail. It's sunny but not real warm yet but I wanted to be able to lose a layer if I get hot. Less likely to see people I know out there and I'm usually moving faster than they are anyways so if they do care about my clingy clothes, I'll be gone and they'll just be jealous. :)

It's like that Friends where Rachel and Phoebe go running and Phoebe runs crazy- she tells Rachel that it doesn't matter what people think because you are moving so fast that you'll be gone and never see them again!

rainy
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't care at all, I wear those cheap tshirts and clearence pants, nothing fancy really.
And I see the girls who spend money on that stuff...honestly I prefer to buy a new pair of shoes I really like instead of buying useless clothes for the gym.

KDuffer
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, I do care, but not for looks but just fit and comfort. Wearing lose clothing causes a lot of discomfort for me as the flaps of cloth rub against the skin and cause irritations. Also, I tend to sweat a lot so try to buy shirts and shorts made specifically for exercise (i.e., made from microfibers).

thistoo
03-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I *care*, but I can't afford to buy cute workout clothes as I drop a size each time, so a lot of my exercise pants are currently hanging off me in an unflattering manner. I don't have to worry about it much because I usually work out in my sister's home gym, but I'm conscious of it when I go running outside or for a walk or whatever.

Lachelle
03-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Count me in the group of people who don't care. I wear capri sweatpants and an old tshirt that had been downgraded to pajama top.

Thighs Be Gone
03-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Well, I don't go to the gym but I don't care how I appear when I work out. I want comfort first--which is usually form fitting bottoms and tops. I never skimp on workout bras or my good running shoes.

CruiseCAT
03-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm with TBG; a good sports bra and running shoes and I'm happy. I do need to wear tight fitting pants/shorts in the thigh so they don't rub

MariaMaria
03-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I go for function, not looks. Wicks sweat, covers what needs to be covered, doesn't chafe or interfere. Lately this works out to some random wicking tee and Old Navy running shorts (cheap in both senses of the word but worth the $10).

Tomato
03-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I could care less. I see the girls who spend $60 on a pair of gym shorts - my gym shorts come off the $5 clearance rack. My gym t-shirts are those free t-shirts you get wherever (for doing a 5k run, or giving blood, or what have you). I'm not going to spend good money on s/th I'm only going to wear to get all sweaty & gross in!

I definitely care what I look like or what I wear, but I don't obsess about it. And while I would not spend $60 on a pair of shorts either, every time I am at Winners I check what's available in the workout section. It doesn't cost that much to get a nice tank top (usually it's between $20-$25) and I like to have a selection because I sweat a lot so I never wear the same one twice. I think it is more fun to go to the gym in a nice outfit, that fits me and shows off my body - I worked very hard to get where I am.

kelly315
03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
yes, I care. I didn't use to care, but there was one day when I showed up in a baggy shirt and my df's baggy sweats, and had a couple of people mess with me (waving, laughing and staring). I go to my college's gym, so there are a lot of jerks there. But if I dress decently, no one notices me.

sm177
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I buy expensive stuff for running because I think it's worth it and the better I feel about myself the better I run. I wear the same stuff do the gym whenever I go (which is rare), so yes I'd say I care what I look like. It's also more comfortable to wear tighter clothes.

CakeBatter
03-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I do care. I like pants to match my shirt and like to them to fit properly. When I lose a certain amount of lbs (20) i go shopping for a few more outfits. I do this becasue it make s feel good and feel cute. When I feel cute I tend to workout harder so I can STAY cute.

Leeesa
03-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I love technical fabrics (the ones that wick the sweat away etc.) I run and go to the gym too so I need clothing that works for both. They also have to be comfortable, supportive and most of all not chafe anything (cotton tees tend to do that). These fabrics are usually made in nice colors, are tighter fitting but yet forgiving. I started wearing them again at 225 and am still in the same clothes at 191, I don't think I'll have to buy anything for at least another 20 lbs or so, so in my opinion, they last a long time and are worth the investment for me.

JulieJ08
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't go to a gym; I run outside in the dark in the morning or do yoga at home. So I'm not seen much. But I still wear something fairly formfitting. When I need all the help I can get to keep going, somehow it helps to be looking good instead of looking baggy and slobbish. That doesn't mean expensive, but those boxy free Ts don't look so hot on me - although I'm very excited that I got one from the Race for the Cure a couple weeks ago in a small, and it fit :). Just barely.

midwife
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I run in the desert in the summer so I buy high-quality sweat-wicking products. I am also very careful to avoid chafing so I know what cuts/brands work well for me. How it looks is far less relevant, but I do not wear cotton t-shirts for running or for the gym. I also like to support my small local running shops, so my workout gear comes from there is tends to be nike, adidas, etc.

flatiron
03-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I CONFESS!!! I am one of the slobs! LOL!

I wear the same thing (not the same clothes I just have a lot of black sweats and black T-shirts)

I wear big baggy black sweats and black baggy t-shirt and I had raggedy tennis shoes but I did spring for new ones (black of course! LOL)

I am another that come in to get the job done!

I live in an artsy area so I see these trendy women come into the gym with the Victiria Secret workout outfits with jewelry and full makeup.

Then they workout at super low intensity so they don't sweat and mess up their makeup.

Looks like to me they come in just for show! LOL! Cause they SURE ain't working out! :D

choirgirlhotel
03-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Right now the little gym I work out at is upstairs in my work building, so no one is there. Therefore, I don't care.

however, if I was going to a public gym, and I was skinny enough to pull it off, I would definitely care about what I wore and I would wear something cute, not too expensive, but trendy I guess. I mean, I care about what I wear the rest of the time when I'm not at the gym, so why wouldn't I care about what I wear when I go to the gym? Ugly clothes make me feel ugly.

~choirgirl~

Fox
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I care. I've found a cute pair of stretchy capri pants and I'm self conscious about my muffin top so I wear a looser fitting but cute T-shirt. I'm not super-involved in it though because I don't know anyone at my gym, I'm not really looking to meet anyone there so it's not necessarily a big deal what I look like. But I still care, mostly just because I always care how I present myself when I'm leaving the house. I do notice though that some women have an entire ensemble of matching top and bottom and shoes and head band! That's taking it a bit far for me!

s0nali
03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
It really does not matter that much to me. I wear stretch pants and looser shirt, or loose pants and tighter shirt. I only care to the extent that I'm not self-conscious and I can move and be comfortable.

All kinds work out in my gym - fitness freaks with buff bodies and $60 shorts, guys with dreads covered in some kind of loose headgear, guys in sleeveless shirts with armholes hanging down to there, and lots of people who are just like me and wear pants and t-shirt. Nearly half of us seem to wear the free t-shirts we get at the local running shoe place :) I even saw a Muslim lady in hijab and abaya (a long coat-like overdress) working out on the exercise bike a couple of times. So yeah, i guess everyone wears what makes them feel their best!

Which makes me fit right in :)

MariaMaria
03-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Now I'm wondering about those $60 shorts. Last time I checked, name brand running shorts (SportHill, Saucony/Hind, Nike, Asics, etc) ran around $35-45. What are these fashionplate gym folk wearing?

MissVitality
03-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I care. I always have, even at my heaviest. I like to wear clothes that make me feel comfortable but that also make me feel good about myself and help increase my self-confidence. I am always receiving compliments on my gym wear from others. I work out a lot and figure that as I invest so much time in it, I may as well look good in the process and have proper dry-fit supportive clothing in nice colours. A good sports bra and trainers are essential for me as well.

I might be overweight but I still like to take pride in my appearance. Pity I look like a puddle of sweat by the time the work out is over LOL!

glitterducky
03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't really care what I look like in the gym. I pretty have one a typical outfit I wear each time. Just a plain t-shirt and black capris. Tennis shoes. It's not really a fashion for me so I don't really care.... Makes no difference to me.

nakedmango
03-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Tomato and CakeBatter pretty much summed up how I feel. I definitely need to feel good in my workout clothes. Even though I do go to the gym to 'get the job done,' part of why I wanted to lose weight was to feel good about myself. Going to the gym wearing clothes that fit me and flatter me help with that. I workout harder and longer when I'm wearing clothes I feel good in. But it has to be functional too--my last pair of gym pants got a little too big, but I put off buying new ones. It made me hate doing intervals because the waist wouldn't stay put, and kept falling under my belly. During the walking interval, I would haul the waistband up, and halfway through the one-minute running interval it would be down around my belly again (and still falling), and I would be completely distracted. So while I want to feel good about how I look, even though I get sweaty and red-faced, they definitely still have to be functional.

It's interesting how some posts seem to emphasize a "looking good vs actually exercising" way of thinking. My co-worker and I go to the gym at lunch. We're both wearing make-up, and change from our work clothes (pencil skirt/dress pants, blouses, pointy shoes, jewelry) into our workout wear, and then back when we go back to work. But we work--after aerobics on Thursday, we both had to blow-dry the sweat out of our hair. So we definitely work, despite looking pretty good while we sweat. ;)

julieofarc
03-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not hugely into anything other than function, but there is value in having clothes that fit and make you feel good. My weight lifting buddy last year (who can really get lean.... drives me nuts) gave me the assignment of buying myself some tight fitting clothes for when we lifted- then I could better see what I was doing and see the changes in my own body. I have to say that I self-consciously wore one of the skin-tight tops to a circuit class last week, and noticed that the instructor corrected my form a number of times because she could see what I was doing (esp. what my abs were not doing... lol). I have a lot of those tighter things because that's pretty much required in rowing (so you don't get stuck in the slides/seat), but I'm trying to upgrade them as I lose weight to things I actually *like* and feel good in.... and can work out better in! The two are not mutually exclusive.

shrinkingviolet
03-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't care deeply, but I don't want to look sloppy either. I usually wear sweats or capri sweats and a t-shirt. I love the activewear from The Gap because it is soft in texture, like pajamas, and washes well.

ennay
03-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I dont care about appearance, but I do care about wicking material that doesnt stink when you sweat. I have a ton of good running clothes and I just wear those to the gym. I will spend some money on running clothes, but not on anything else. Most of my shirts are race shirts though...good technical tees

grneyedmustang
03-29-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm middle of the road. I am a little vain (but there is a reason) - so I like to look at myself in mirrors when I work out, and I try to look *somewhat decent* if I'm looking at myself. (The reason why I stare at myself so much is because I've had low self esteem in the looks department most of my life. A few years back, I told myself to look at myself and tell myself how pretty I think I am - so I guess it's a habit now). I also dress in what I consider "comfortable attire" for the gym - I hate to be hot when I work out, so I usually have on a tank top and boot cut pants.

I've noticed there are some people who REALLY don't care. There was a guy at the gym the other day (and I think he has beautiful legs - and he's not fat) and he had on the shortest, tightest, white shorts EVER. They looked like a pair of boxer shorts - and he had the biggest wedgie EVER!!!! I wanted to tell him to pull his shorts out of his butt SO BAD.

Devsmama
03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
LOL @ grneyed..I probably would have told him!