Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #1  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Default NSV - I went to IHOP for Dinner....

Our Supervisor surprised us and said she was taking us all out on our break to IHOP and my first thought was "oh crap!" Luckily on the back of the IHOP menu there is a "lighter fare" page that included the nutritional info for the choices (wish they would do this for all their menu items but I think they're too scared!). I chose the Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes (you get 2 and they have blueberries and bananas) and they're served with scrambled eggs (actually I think it's egg substitute). Total calories - 580. That's more than I would typically have in a meal but because I was a little low today for my calories I could still afford it and came in around 1500 calories, yay! I have to admit though, I soooooo wanted to order the Bacon Temptation Omelet that had bacon, 3 kinds of cheese and tomatoes but their omelets are so giant and they're served with a side of pancakes! I'm very proud of myself though, I was able to make the better choice!

(By the way, the pancakes were delicious, better than their regular ones I think!)

Last edited by Fox; 03-26-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

oh man there's a IHOP down the street from me. I cannot even go in there! To much temptation. You are stronger than I! LOL!

If I don't go in there I won't be tempted! I would have had to politely decline!

I have gone in IHOP in the past when they had their all you can eat pancaked specials and almost eaten myself into a coma!

I now equate IHOP with places like Taco Bell, McDonalds and KFC. I avoid those places like the plague now.

It would be like me being an alcoholic and walking in a bar to get an O'Doul's LOL!

Also I have had their nut and grain pancakes before they seemed like they got too mushy to quick for me when I put syrup on it.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I chose the Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes (you get 2 and they have blueberries and bananas) and they're served with scrambled eggs (actually I think it's egg substitute).
(By the way, the pancakes were delicious, better than their regular ones I think!)
Those sound good.. I think I had the regular sized 5 pancake order of those and later I looked it up and it was alot of calories. The IHOP here doesn't have the lighter menu with the regular one, you have to ask for it (I'm embarrassed to ask for it!). I think they also have the option of ordering their omelets with all egg substitute and then you can pick what you want in it. My family goes there often, so I need to start thinking of ideas of what to eat when we go to these type of places.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #4  
No description available.

Congrats on making the best choice under the circumstances. I have been afraid of IHOP ever since I learned they put pancake batter in their omelets. What a way to wreck what could be a healthy breakfast! Sounds like you did great!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WTG!! I actually find that I can eat surprisingly well at breakfast places when I seek out substitutions.

Earlier this week I went out for lunch at a breakfast place and got a spinach and feta omelet with egg whites instead of eggs (an extra $1.25 but worth it). It comes with pancakes/toast, etc, and I got 2 pieces of wheat toast. They also serve it with hash browns but I replaced that with a fruit cup! A somewhat high cal meal, but like you, it fit into my day

Last edited by Heather; 03-26-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #6  

Creating a healthy meal at IHOP is quite and accomplishment. Nice job.
DiaDona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

Congrats!!! We don't have IHOP in Canada but whenever I see the commercials I wanna die. I'm going to California in July and plan on hunting down an IHOP and getting some serious pancakes. As you see I don't have the same control you do! But usually I get so excited about meals like this I get overwhelmed and can barely eat half the meal.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #8  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
Those sound good.. I think I had the regular sized 5 pancake order of those and later I looked it up and it was alot of calories. The IHOP here doesn't have the lighter menu with the regular one, you have to ask for it (I'm embarrassed to ask for it!). I think they also have the option of ordering their omelets with all egg substitute and then you can pick what you want in it. My family goes there often, so I need to start thinking of ideas of what to eat when we go to these type of places.
Could you look up the information on-line from home so that you could be prepared in advanced? Also, you would be prepared to make better choices from the regular menu w/o it having to become a big deal in front of the family. I know I wouldn't want to create drama in front of my family. Especially since certain members of my family thrive on making drama where it doesn't exist. Guess that's why I don't really care to live near most of them. Yeah, ya can't do anything that's about yourself. It's always about a backhanded comment.

Last edited by Operator265; 03-26-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
Also I have had their nut and grain pancakes before they seemed like they got too mushy to quick for me when I put syrup on it.
I hate mushy food. The last time I was at IHOP I got the same pancakes. I asked for a sugar free syrup on the side (came in a little ramekin) and just dipped each bite into the syrup. For a treat, I also got a little ramekin of the blueberry topping and I dipped a few bites in there. I am a big dipper, I hate limp lettuce or mushy anything.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I have been afraid of IHOP ever since I learned they put pancake batter in their omelets.
If you order the egg beaters instead of real eggs, they skip the pancake batter. Or so I hear; I haven't been in an IHOP in years.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

I'm embarrased to admit that the bacon temptation omlette is amazingly good. I have no desire to know how many calories it has and I am thankful that there is no IHOP within a three hour drive from me I tried the bacon thing in San Fran at a conference in January. I justified it by convincing myself that I was on vacation and that hubby and I would be walking miles and miles (mostly uphill!). I actually only gained two pounds on that trip
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote