Dieting with Obstacles - Fibromyalgia #183

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia #183

Kate53
03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Please post here on the new thread. I will ask "meowee" to sticky this for us.

Kate53
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Good evening everyone. A beautiful windy day here in Florida! And I do mean windy! Always loved the wind....
I hope everyone is enjoying the spring and good health. I am hoping the "Quueen" is on the mend and will allow me a "full" night's sleep. So hard to get a good night's rest with one eye and ear open! Did you realize the order of a dog's senses? They smell first, hear second and see third. Humans see first, hear second and smell third. That bit of science has kept me awake waiting for the shoe to drop! Know what I mean??
Eye exam went very well today....now on a yearly schedule which suits me just fine. This pre-glaucoma thing can be a real pain but thankfully, my tests have should nothing progressive so all is well., The trip to and from the ophthalmologist nearly did me in...but it is over for another year now.
Hubby is working very long hours right now but I can't complain as so many peoiple here are out of work or laid off. I would feel ungrateful to complain but I am worried hubby is over doing. Men tend to get grumpy and irritated when they are tired and over-worked. Guess I will have to polish up on my diplomacy skills here.....as in "take this weekend off or else!!" ;)
I am planning on a quiet day tomorrow getting a few bills paid and some laundry folded. Best laid plans...right? Hope eveyone is feeling healthy and happy tonight...will check back tomorrow.

Candicej
03-26-2009, 03:31 AM
:bday2you: Happy B-day Happy! Hope your foot gets better...mine still hurts!

Meme....I'm hangin' too! LOL:D

Mima...glad you got Evans suit..I ahte to pay shipping but sometimes ya just gotta....hope the move downstairs goes smoothly.

Tammy..I love my Gloria Vjeans...the stretch is what I like. Queenieis Kates dog!

Beck...we hear ya...you sound just like us ...I know about over doing..I do it lot and My DH just stands there too! LOL Men...but we will never learn..part of Fibro I think...we are over achievers so often.

Kate..how is queenie...hope she didn't get any of that P N butter stuff. Jaz gets the runs too but right now I am dealing with peeing cats..they miss their box and it stinks!!!!!...so been cleaning that mess up.

Bought some pansies or violas to set out and some spring bulbs to pop in the ground already sprouting). Hope to do more in pots if I get time...

Joanne......did you get new jeans? North Florida so what ya do there on vacation?

Mima
03-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Well-I certainly will look at those jeans but right now I have 2 new pair.
They left 2 stitches in and so we have to travel to get those out tomorrow.
But we will be near a health store so I can get some bread for traveling.
Hope Queenie is better, Dogs do react to foods. And cats. our friend cannot give her cat wheat.
We went to Golden Corral . It was ok and I was good . Then we went to church.
I keep planning about our move-we will get a storage place to put extra stuff I think. And buy a new couch,
Chiro this pm-results of tests and xrays. Hi candice!!! And all. Mima

Tammy
03-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Kate, I've always liked the wind too unless it's a tornado type wind here in Ohio!! I also get the glaucoma testing done. My younger brother has it, and he has used eyedrops for years. Hope you get your quiet day!

Candice, with the stretch in your jeans, does it get too stretched out and looks bad? Mine do, and that's what I don't like.

Mima, Golden Corral is one of Tim's favorite places to eat. I always try to go for the vegies and baked fish, and then I don't feel so guilty eating ice cream.

Not doing much today. I like that.

squeak351
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Awww poor Queenie, hope she is feeling better soon.

Still raining and nasty here but no wind yet. Saturday the storms are supposed to move in.

Went to my meeting last night. learned a lot about exercise. She encouraged us to do body weight exercise (using your body weight as resistance) when watching tv or we had free time in the day. push ups, wall push ups, chair lifts, calf lifts, standing crunches, crunches, etc. etc. Every little bit adds up!

I lost 4.5 this week. :woohoo: My BMI went from 34.4 to 33.8 and my fat mass went from 45.3 to 44.1. Yippeee. This weeks struggles have defintely been worth it.

That's about it here.

Joanne D
03-26-2009, 10:53 AM
If I don't reply I won't find you again.. This week has been really busy.. Today I go get coumadin check.. Friday I may go out to lunch with my sister . Yesterday I went to Dr. and had a chest xray. I have been having some pain in right lung area. may be nothing..Bur concidering what I have been through I thought it best to have it checked out.
It is windy here too.. I live just over a mile from the gulf so we get it a lot..
They are trying to get me off the predisone.. I am retaining fluid and that isn't good. makes the scale go up. Maybe they can get me off some of these meds. I don't care to stick my fingers 4 times a day and take insulin at least once.
My yard needs attention. I just haven't felt like getting to it yet.. Bushes need trimming and that's a lot of work.. maybe if I can do just one a day..
Good weight loss Squeak..
Mima.. Moving even down stairs seems like a lot of work.. hope you have lots of help..
Tammy- I like Golden Corral too. We haven't been there in a while. there is one here just several miles away.. We always eat too much..
Candice- I have a pair of G V jeans. like them too. North Florida vacations are just that. Sitting on the beach, reading and just being with family. Not much where we go.. St George Island has no big stores. Just a pick Quick and some small tourist stores.. One small Grocery.. A few eating places.. We always take what we need with us ,rent a house and just rest..
Kate- Hope Queenie is better.. Christie got sick once and the rice helped..Christie is a Pug and a handful.. Wants to chase everything moving and gets a big smile on her face when I finally get her under control.. I don't think there is any training of her.. She is good in the house. bad as she can be outdoors..
Hello Happy
Meme- How did the talk go with Ross's parents? I hope they are able to take him home.. I found those jeans in my Penny's book.. I am going to see if they are in the store.. I won't have to pay shipping that way.
Joanne

Kate53
03-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Good morning all. Another one of those dry windy days here. Our wildfire threat has increased significantly. We are desperate for some rain and there doesn't seem to be any in sight. Queenie gave me a peaceful night last night and is almost back to normal. I'm still not sure what created the problem. She never has had any issues like this before with minor food changes....but there is always a first I guess. I will be more mindful about this in the future, believe me.
I admire you gals who can wear those jeans! I just bought a few tops at Bealls here to fill in my dwindling wardrobe. I can still wear some of my knit pants and shorts but needed to find some coordinating tops in a smaller size. I'm taking it slow with the clothes thing as I do have some smaller sizes left from WAY before that could still be considered stylish. I'm going for my monthly weigh-in at the doc's tomorrow and he probably won't be too pleased because I haven't lost much this month. But at least it is going down, not up. I just wish I could shake off this tired feeling I've had lately. I am sure it is from not sleeping too well over the Queen, but I am just feeling so tired and listless. Very hard to get motivated to do anything. Maybe I can play catch-up this weekend! Yeah, right!
Mima, did the dermatologist give you anything to put on the incision area to prevent scarring? If it is healed enough, you could try some pure vitamin E oil. That would minimize any scarring. We used that for my mom's radiation "burns" on her neck when she had treatment for a small tumor there. It worked wonders!
Tammy, I'm watching your "ticker" go downward....good job! I hope mine moves this next week! I have really been enjoying these windy days but they are definitely not good for this wildfire threat we are in. There is something about the wind that I connect with. That is one of the reasons I chose this area to move to. We had lots of wind on the Cape too. I don't have any experiences with tornados though, only hurricanes. I get a bit nervous when we get those tornado watches...not comfortable with those.
Candice, funny you should mention that about PButter. Queenie does get one of her biscuits in a pbutter flavor. I did think about it at the onset but I bought a new box of cookies recently so I couldn't imagine it would be that. My pet food store is really great about keeping us informed of any recalls too.Just for giggles though, I will check out the biscuit's website.
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day. I need to get the bookwork caught up and pay a few bills, download my bank stuff and fold that laundry. I put some homemade baked beans in the oven this am for hubby. We're going to have fish tonight and he can have beans with his. I'll have brown rice and salad. Bye for now ladies! And thanks for the "sticky", meowee!! :)

Mima
03-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Lining up the help!!!My right thumb is hurting-feels like it needs a shot. Too much needlework. Going to borrow a brace-then see if it helps.
It's 50 ish back home. We till don't know if our water is unfrozen.Evan is coming today.
I think lack of sleep interferes with weight loss-at least it does when you have apnea.
Going to get other 2 stitches out. Went to chiro and had another adjustment. That's an ouch!!! At home, I get ES and ultrasound first-all for the same price.
Joanne-take it easy. Hire someone!!!!!!!!!!
Hey beth-you are doing great!!!
Brad is growing a beard because it's the town's 250th this year. He just looks scruffy now.
Bye Mima

Tammy
03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Beth, that is a fantastic loss! Way to go!

Joanne, I agree with you about getting things checked out. It doesn't hurt to be safe rather than sorry later. I think that I'd like St. George Island. sounds like Jekyll Island, and I love it there.

Kate, we have had so many field fires in the area lately. Some have been caused by people throwing cigarettes out car windows, and then others have been caused by people burning brush and the fire gets out of control. Tim heard the dispatcher on the scanner tell one fire dept. that the address they were going to was the 3rd time in as many days. One of the fire crew radioed back and asked for a deputy sheriff to please come to the site. Hopefully they won't be called back there again.

Mima, I used to do cross stitch, but I can't anymore. Hurts too much.

Tim has gone to his gf's house for the weekend. They haven't seen each other for a few weeks.

Mima
03-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Good morning. there are a lot of fires here also. Doc took rest of stitches out and put 2 butterfly bandages on it-can't get it wet for 2 days and I NEED to wash my hair.
Evan is here-we went to DQ last night. His choice. Then he and I walked home.
Hope it all worked out Joanne.
I am having fun going on Facebook-all my family is on there.
Mima

Kate53
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone. Finally got hubby home for a full weekend....so much to get accomplished I don't know where to start. Have to be careful not to scare him with my list!! Just got back from Sam's Club getting many supplies. Now I won't have to lug these items home from Publix!
Mima, I am on facebook too. I honestly don't go on it that much. My GF invited me and I set it up but I might visit maybe once a week. I wonder how we get to be "friends" without divulging our e-mail addresses on this forum? Something to think about....
Tammy, we still are having very windy weather here so the fire alert is high. Some people can be so ignorant....throwing a lit cigarrette out of a car window. How stupid can one get with that? That and not picking up after their dogs really irks me. Just plain "stuck in stupid" is what that is.
Tomorrow we are going to pull the salt generator off the pool and clean it for the season. That and cleaning the filter is all that is left to do before using the pool. The water temp is up to 80 degrees but still a little cool for me. Had to turn the A/C on this afternoon with the humidity and temps here. I can't believe all the daily dust/dirt that accumulates on things by just having the windows opened. I guess I will wait until the A/C is on for the season before doing a deep-down cleaning.
Hope everyone is enjoying the day. Mima, you must be getting ready to head back up north. Are you looking forward to it?

Mima
03-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Well-there is a lot of stuff on the guest bed.Leaving a lot of clothes here.

Just read about a new drug called Sevilla that's coming out at the end of the year for fibro.
We are going to Olive Garden after church for SS teacher's bd and Pastor may come too. Don't know what I can eat because my stomache is not good.
I did wash my hair. Our pool is about 90. The pool at the campground will be cool I think-it's indoors and solar heated.
Gotta leave early. Mima

Kate53
03-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone. We finally have some rain here...a nice steady rainfall that should really perk up those dry lawns. Got all the "honey-do list" chores done with hubby today and now I might just go for a short nap with the Queen. She's getting better, slowly but surely. I gave her a dose of pepto bismol last evening....what a God awful mess! Pink crap everywhere...on her, the rug, the sheet on her bed. Hopefully I won't need to repeat that episode!
Had a terrible time sleeping last night too. I kept waking up and trying to get comfortable. I ached all over, especially my shoulders and hips. Mima, that new drug called "Savella" is very similar to an antidepressant. They call it a "selective dual reuptake inhibitor". It seems to be effective in managing FM pain in the studies. I also read it should not be taken with drugs such as Tramadol. The NFA web site has a news release about it. It sounds like the FDA has approved it's use but I don't know anyone who has tried it yet.
Not setting the world on fire with weight loss this month. I think I have been lax in my routine. I need to get back to just veggies, salads and meats for a couple of weeks. Too tired to think about making salads every night so I've been buying that bagged stuff. Hubby doesn't like all those "strange weeds" on his plate. He's an iceburg man...(which I can't stand of course)... so I end up having to wash and prepare two different salads. That gets to be a chore after awhile. Tonight, he gets what I make and that's it. I'll steam up some green beans to go with the steak and salad. Off to try and get in a nap. Need to walk the princess again soon. Hope everyone enjoys their day....and hi to all!!

Happy Canuk
03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Good afternoon or evening, depending ob where you are.

Mima - I guess you will be busy closing down everything and making your way back home soon. Glad you have your "movers" in place. No matter how far you are moving it, it is always work. The only good thing, is you don't really have to box up the kitchen, which for me, is the biggest room in the house. It ends up with the most boxes. You just have to carry it from upstairs and downstairs and it is put away. Hope your tummy starts to feel better. I had a mole removed almost a month ago, by laser, but there is still some of it left, so I have to go back again on the 6th to have it finished. It was a little deeper than he thought, but it was perfectly round, small and brown, so it was good to go.

Kate - I had to laugh about your hubby and the "strange weeds" on his plate. Sounds just like my hubby, who also like Iceberg best, but rarely gets it. Sometimes I buy the mixed lettuce and iceberg is in it, so he is happy. Glad you got your "honey do" chores done.

The weather changes are driving me crazy. Have had a lot of pain the last couple of days, and my toes are not FIXED yet. Still very sore, but I can't just sit here and baby them, so off they go, walking through stores :lol: Hoping the orthodics will help a lot.

Good for those of you who have had a weight loss. I am joinging you. Down 2 pounds. Been doing Nutri System. Food is mediocor, but I don't have to cook it and that really helps keep me on track. Also, bought some FULL BARS and they help as well.

Well, it is suppertime here soon, and hubby is doing Atkins, so I had better think about something for him to eat.

Have a nice evening.

Kate53
03-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Good morning all. Up very early this am (4) with hubby and have gotten most of my housework done already! Need to vacuumn and damp mop floors later. Had the A/C on past couple of days but opened up the house this morning because it got so cool overnight....51 degrees here. Need to get the Queen out for her walk too. She is back to normal....keep our fingers crossed I didn't speak too soon!! Need to get her brushed out some more too so I can put her flea treatment on for April.. She sure is a hairy dog!!
Trying to get back to phase 1 of SB diet and having a hard time not eating the good carbs. I've gotten so used to whole wheat or multigrain everything that "white" stuff tastes weird to me now! Making some stuffed zucchini boats for dinner tonight. I grilled the "boats" last night and let them drain. I will fill them with a hamburg mixture and top with cheese and tomato sauce before baking off. Goes great with a salad for dinner. Hubby will be working long hours this week so I have to get creative with do-ahead dinners he can reheat.
Hope everyone enjoys their day. I will check back later after walking and cleaning. Bye for now...

Mima
03-30-2009, 07:10 AM
I hope the moving will help me lose weight because going out to eat doesn't help. I had chicken and mashed potaoes and the frosying off the cake.
We got some rain!!! and it's raining back home/
Sorry you have to go back for the mole , Anne,
Just the chiro this week. Brad had more blood tests to see why his potassium is elevated. A hormone test!!
Saw a video of Jim having a bd cake in Afghanistan.Wow!!
Lunch with gf. Kate, I think my aunt gives the dog Prikosec. I would check online to see if that is ok. Mima

Kate53
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I meant to ask Anne....where on the body was this mole located? I have a perfectly round brown/black "beauty mark" type mole right over my top lip. I have thought about having it removed but the last mole I had removed was on my arm and called a "blue nevis". The needles to numb it weren't bad but that cutting and pulling sensation almost had me throwing up! Just the sensation of grabbing it with the forceps to cut it away would lose me....but if I knew it would be done by laser, I might go for it. I suppose I would have to do a consultation to find out how they would remove it. I didn't realize they could do these types of moles by laser. How long did it take to heal, Anne?

Mima
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
The mystery is solved. Brad asked the bug lady to look at droppings that were in bathroom cupboard-remember my quandry back in Feb. She said they were from a mouse or snall rat-eeeeeeeek!! Well there have been np more signs but brad wants to put sticky paper there. it happened after a COLD spell.
Mima

squeak351
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
So glad the Queen is back to her normal self. :)

Finally after days of the rain the sun shines once again. I may not get in a long walk but I am going to try to do two laps today on the track before I go home.

Had a good weekend. Went to the movies, bought Easter goodies for DD's basket, ended up eating a Reeses Peanut butter egg! ACK! 11 fat grams, but boy was it good. I could've eat the whole pack, but didn't.

I did get in 4 solid hours of cleaning. My mom came over and helped. She is such a slave driver! We only like my room and my bathroom, the rest of the house has had it's spring cleaning.

Going to bible study today. Beth Moore's "Esther, it's tough being a woman" . That's it from me...

Joanne D
03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Hello Everybody..
last night was very bad for me.. The toilet broke and the hubby had to turn off water till morning.. We only have one toilet in this house.Needless to say I didn't sleep well . Just too upset.. Our son came over and put all new "guts" in the tank. Now we have a water saver and didn't have to buy a new toilet..What a saving.. Just 33.00 and his time..
The hubby wants me to buy Easter goodies too.. And make him some fudge.. I will look on WW site for a good one..I hate doing things lke that as I want to eat them..
I sure wish we had got more rain.. We live a mile from the gulf. It is really hard to get a lot of rain as it passes right over us before it stalls.
I am trying to increase my walks . Christie has gained weight because she isn't walking enough. She is a pug and gains fast. I have her on weight control food. I watch the hubby to keep him from giving her too many treats. But ,You know how that is.I not only have to watch my diet but also the dogs!!!!
When all you girls get through with your moving and spring cleaning. Think Of me.. I have that to do too..Being the worlds biggest pack rat ever and this house is small sorta. I just have to get rid of some things. or use them up. I have boxes of craft stuff and things I haven't worn in years. Why can't I just give them away???
I hurt all over tonight.. I will be glad to go to bed early.. I take Christie out and then can lay down. She goes into her crate and is there for the night. I can't let her loose in the house when we sleep or go out. She will take the place apart..She likes her crate and goes right to it at her bed time.This is the only dog that I have ever had that I had to do this with..
Joanne

Happy Canuk
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Kate. That mole was on the side of my nose. It looked like a blackhead at first. I tried squeezing it, but nothing............then it got to looking like somebody dabbed me with a ballpoint pen. The laser just leaves a red mark, and a small hole where the mole was. Didn't hurt at all - just fast little tiny zaps. Had to put some laser gel on it for the first couple of days, so it wouldn't get dry and scab and leave a scar. After a couple of weeks, it did form a sort of whiteish scab, and it came off . It is still alittle red, but fading daily. I just didn't want anybody cutting on my face. What a mess that would have been, because I am quite fair and I scar very easily. Go for the counceltation and find out about it.

Hi Joanne. Nice to see you are doing ok. Glad the toilet didn't cost an arm and a leg, but even if it had.......it is kind of necessary lol

Mima - a RAT???? We don't have rats in Alberta. We do have mice, however. I have only seen 2 rats in my life, one in Los Angeles, and the other in Vancouver.

Well, time to get off this machine. Have a good night.

Kate53
03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the info Anne. I think I may just go for that consultation. I've had this mole my whole life and for some reason have just recently thought of getting rid of it. It's an interesting little thing and is probably the very first thing people notice when they meet me!!
Mima, I've had a few "rats" in my life...nothing exciting about finding the crap they leave behind!! Just kidding....but I really didn't know they exist in Florida! At least not the furry 4 legged kind....;) Hope you don't have a problem getting rid of them! Kind of like crappy tenants....
Joanne, I spent the whole day cleaning today. Every nook and cranny got it including the baseboards.The only thing I didn't get to was the windows! Even the screened patio got hosed and scrubbed! The pool too! Just had this "get'r'done" attitude today I guess. I'm sure I'll pay for it physically tomorrow...
Poor hubby didn't get home until 7:30 tonight and was beat from driving RT 95 all day. He's already in bed and going back to work at 5:30 tomorrow morning.Sure is quiet around the old homestead all day...:) Just me and the "Queen"!
Joanne, I used to be a collector of things. I decided life was too short to try and find room for all my "stuff' so I eliminated. It is so much easier not having all those things to worry about. If you don't use it every few months...get rid of it! That chaffing dish for entertaining that's collecting dust? Get rid of it...Those boxes of remnants of fabric waiting to be sewn into a quilt? Get rid of it...My hubby is Polish...that means he doesn't want to throw a thing away...but guess what? I get rid of it! No quarter given...if you aren't using it, it goes! The organization is wonderful...and so neat and tidy. Have a big old yard sale and make yourself some mad money!
Need to get some rest. I think all this activity is going to catch up with me and I need to prune and weed around the Areca palm hedge tomorrow. It feels like the weather is going to get hot ,hazy and humid very soon so I want all the hard, sweaty chores done by the time it gets here. I hope you all enjoy your evening. Beth, watch out for those Reeses PB eggs....I had a whole dark chocolate bar the other day. No wonder the scale isn't moving!! God, it sure is tough trying to age gracefully, huh?? Bye for now....

MemeToo
03-31-2009, 12:46 AM
I need to do spring cleaning and get rid of a bunch of 'stuff', too. But ... taxes first. Haven't even started them yet. Went to Nashville to the Dr. today (Rhum.). Long trip. Hubby took off and went with me this time so at least I didn't have to drive. He didn't do anything, as usual, just wrote out scripts. Ross went home last night so maybe things will calm down here (after I get the taxes done.) Hopefully they won't be too bad this year, I was very good at keep records up last year but I still have to write everything in the books to give to the CPA. I dread it ... my hands are killing me already. (No ... never did put all that in a computer program so don't ask.)

Hey Beth ... you and I live in the same state. I live half way between Nashville and Knoxville. Most of my folks are from NC ... around Asheville where I lived for several years and I lived in MI from age 9 'till 26 ... but I was born in Richmond, VA. So .. don't really know where I'm from. HA

Well, as I said, Ross went home. He went to Youth Convention with our church youth last weekend. First time he had ever been away from home alone. He came back tired and said he wanted to go home. I called his parents and they said that was fine so his mom came and got him. He had a good day at school today so I'm hoping it all works out. Thanks to all of you who were praying for us.

Talk about hurting worse ... oh my goodness ... I feel bruised. I told hubby tonight when we got home, I feel like I've been in a wrestling match and been body slammed. My ribs ... all the way around, front and back ... hurt when I take a deep breath. Part is stress, I'm sure and part is the weather we've been having. Then, I think the rest is the change in seasons. I always hurt when the seasons change. Put all 3 of those together and you have a recipe for diaster.

Going to take a pain pill and go to bed. I absolutely HAVE to get up and get started on those taxes tomorrow ... if I don't my husband and my CPA are going to kill me.

Mima
03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't use the computer either, Meme. We had to pay out so much because I didn't send in my quarters. That makes upset-to pay!
Hey beth, our women's ministry is doing that same bible study-I should have gone but I didn;t. will when I get home.
We don't have that whatever anymore. We probably have tons of mice back home. But I put down decon. You live with them back North.
Chiro at 9.
Kate-my aunt gives the dog a Pepcid AC. Works for her. Hope Queenie is nice.
Hey Joanne, I have moved so many times I got rid of a lot of stuff. It's amazing how it accumulates. After 4 years here, it;s piling up. Got rid of a big bag of clothes. I wear the same ones all the yime-My faves.Once you start, you can't stop.
Sounds like Ross is doing better, Mima

squeak351
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Get rid of the junk! I hate stuff laying around. My mom is a big pack rat. Once I moved out on my own I started doing the same thing. Then I moved and I enough stuff in a 14 wide trailer to fill a 2,000 sq. foot house! LOL I realized I had a problem then and started trying to do yard sales. I realized how much work those were so how much I hurt afterward. So I started taking my stuff to a consignment shop. I am really lucky that we have a really nice shop that really moves the stuff. If they can't sale it they take it to goodwill. I don't mind either way it's out of my way and I don't have to deal with it. Most of the time I get at least a $20 check each month.

Rats...I have only seen on rat before. I think their tails are so nasty looking...ewww. We have field mice. We bought a foreclosed home in 04. It had mice, OMG at the mice! LMBO My DH put decon under the house and that first winter we kept smelling this horrible smell. It was dead mice. Yuck! After doing some research we found out that you shouldn't use that stuff in your house. They eat the poision then go crawl somewhere to die. When they rot, they rot from the inside out leaving the worst smell ever. Now we have a ton of mouse traps under the house. I haven't seen or smelled a mouse in about 4 years.

MemeToo- I live about 30 miles east of Knoxville. Just off interstate 81. My parents moved down from Pike Co., Ky when I was two. While that's home to them, East Tn. is home to me. I don't think I'd ever want to live anywhere else. The only complaint is the air quality in the valley.

Mima, we are in the 3rd week. I actually bring everything with me to work to do my homework. It's a lot to do if you don't work on it a little bit everyday. I think Beth Moore is a great speaker and she speaks the truth in a nice way. This the first study I have done with her stuff and I am really liking it.

Tonight I go to my weekly meeting and it's a special field trip. We are meeting the dietician at a restuarant. Not sure how many will show up. I am taking DD with me so we can shop before. There is a large shopping center in the area. She is excited. Next year she goes to 6th grade and is talking about buying name brands. ACK.. when did she grow up so fast. I am not big on having all name brand clothes. A few things is nice but seriously I can't afford to dress my child, or me in all name brands. craziness.... I am trying to teach her that there is more to life than just name brands. But I guess she will learn that with time. I have promised her she can buy one outfit tonight. Hope she doesn't pick out something that costs a fortune.

Kate53
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Okay ladies, I know it is late but hubby didn't get home until 8 pm and I've cooked, cleaned and made the set-up for morning coffee . This job he has really bites the big one! Know what I mean?? I try like heck to keep up with these things but I think it is finally getting to me. I have to keep in mind that at least he has a job!Times are so hard for everyone that I feel guilty complaining over my husband's work schedule but these long hours are tough for both of us. I need to find a resource for bit**ing!!
Finally getting some much needed rain this evening..lots of it. My neighbor's kids came to walk the dog with me tonight and they are having a very difficult time. Their dad isn't getting any hours at work (he's the A/C guy) and mom is cutting back on things. The kids are going to lose their cablevision TV because it is now considered a luxury. The problem is...dad still has his cigarettes and beer. Now that really pi**es me off! Sorry ladies, but some things are just meant to be challenged! I'm going to have a hard time keeping my big mouth shut over this one! Lord, help me! These neighbors are good people with a very caring mom who pays attention to raising her kids but their dad is a real deadbeat. He does as little as possible with the kids and just sits around drinking Budweiser and watching Nascar on TV. It's unfortunate that mom has to deal with it. Welcome to Flori..DUH! Okay, enough of the neighborhood gossip.
Had to put the A/C on today and I get the feeling we are in for some hot and humid weather. It must be spring in Florida!! Poor Queenie is already showing me she is not happy with the "indoor routine". She's slowing down on her walks and is generally not as "excited" about being outside. It's amazing what animals can sense and the way they react to things. She just knows it's coming and adjusts herself to it. We should all be so adept at life!
Okay, off to bed. Another long day tomorrow. Hope everyone is feeling healthy and happy!! Will check back tomorrow.

Mima
04-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Good morning. We should do the Beth Moore study back home. I never was one to get the name brands of things for my kids. I told them if they wanted those expensive sneakers that I would pay towards them and they had to pay the rest. Mean mama!!
It's hot here!
Hope I don't get hit with the computer virus.
Last day of Art. Things are getting done slowly.
Bye for now. mima

Kate53
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Good morning everyone! Another hot, humid and cloudy one here. Looks like more rain is coming. That's okay, we need it so badly.. I'll just find things to do inside. Watching the news this morning about that computer virus. Microsoft has offered a $500K reward for anyone who can thwart it. They have a special cleaning/sweep tool you can download for free off the Microsoft website. I'm going to check it out just in case. My firewall and virus protection runs in the background everytime I turn on my computer but they are saying nothing is going to be effective against this one. Hope everyone gets through this "infection" period. Hope everyone is well.

squeak351
04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Just popping in real quick. Wet and nasty out, blah. The front going through makes me hurt all over :(

I am so sleepy my eyes are crossing! LOL Andit's not even 1:00 yet

Mima
04-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Good morning. We got a surprise phone call from Whisper Mountain where we stopped on the way down here. They need their furnace in so they can have groups come and stay. We are leaving in the morning and drive all day so we can get there at night-12 hours/Talk about quick packing. Mike was not too happy we would miss Evan's pool party-but we will see him tonight. You have to know it's God's work the way it all happened. That  thing about God's timing being perfect.Going to walmart to pick up last minute stuff and a prescription.
Bye for now Mima

Kate53
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Good morning all. Mima, do have a safe trip and drive carefully. I'll look for your posts when you get home. And you are right about things happening for a reason....none of us is immune to that.
Beth, I have been feeling the same as you the past few days. I thought it might be one of my meds but the weather has been so hot and humid lately, I'm wondering if it is that. I've been having a hard time getting motivated in the morning and seem to feel very sleepy through out the day. Maybe it's because I've got the house closed up and the A/C on. It takes me awhile to get used to that feeling of being "closed in". I always look forward to the cooler weather so I can open up the house and let the wind blow through! Even the Queen seems a bit out of sorts. Her walks are shorter now due to the heat and she spends more time laying around...bored maybe? Oh well, such is life in the tropic zone. Hope everyone enjoys their day. I think I am going to indulge in a short nap to see if that helps. Bye for now.

Tammy
04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I Am Sooooooooooooooo Mad! I Had Been Writing A Post, And Suddenly My Computer Did Something And It Is Gone. I will have to try again later because I need to go now. Bummer!!!!

MemeToo
04-03-2009, 01:39 AM
We have bad storms w/ lots of rain attached. Not feeling well with all that.

Taxes coming along ... slow but sure. I think I'll have them done by the dreaded deadline. Will have to soak more than my hand by then! :p

Mima
04-03-2009, 05:48 AM
You go girl!!!
Went tp Olive Garden again-Salmon and mashed potatoes and some deliscious soup. And the cake for Evan-he was so happy.
Bye -long road trip today-they let me use their computer, Mima

Tammy
04-04-2009, 06:29 PM
OK. I am going to try to type a message again. If it goes away, you will all hear me screaming!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate, I loved the "stuck in stupid" comment you made! Too funny, but too true. Laughed about your hubby and the strange weeds in salads (Anne's hubby too on that). We went out to eat and Tim looked at his salad and mentioned that he was sure that he had sprayed for those things to kill them at one time. The zucchini boats sound good. I'm with you on getting back to the veg., salad, and meat. My leader at First Place said the same thing last week.

Mima, I've never heard of Savella, but anything that will help with the fibro is wonderful in my book. I remember you mentioning Whisper Mountain before. Hope the furnace can be fixed without much of a problem.

Anne, good for you for being down 2 pounds! I knew someone else who tried Nutri system and liked it.

Oh Beth! I totally agree about the PB eggs! I have a box in my bedroom (not of PB eggs) that I'm packing up to take to the consignment shop. I hope to take it this week. Also have some things to take to Goodwill.

Joanne, I used to be a packrat, but I am doing much better about that. When my parents passed away, it took us forever to go through everything, and I said I would never do that to Tim. I "weed" through things quite often now. Maurice must be like Christie with the crate. He usually goes right in when I am leaving or when it is bedtime.

Meme, our taxes are done, and that is a relief. We don't have a business to deal with, so I'm sure it is much easier than what all you have to do. How is Ross doing now that he has gone home? Did something happen at the Youth Convention to make him want to go home and try harder? Keeping the situation in prayers.

I have a prayer request. I am on an Emmaus Team again, and there is a woman on the team who I have served with before. I honestly feel (as do many others) that she shouldn't be permitted to serve. I have prayer about this since I learned that she was also serving, and I am still struggling with the situation. Help!

Tim and I went to Smokey Bones for lunch earlier. Made some good choices for once! Broccoli, grilled chicken, and baked potato with a bit of sour cream. I didn't even finish everything except for the broccoli.

My First Place 4 Health group is "off" this week, so the leader and I are staying in touch with each other to stay accountable. I think she suggested it to help me more than for her. She knows how I've struggled, and I know she wants me to succeed. I did finally lose the steroid pounds, and I am back to the tracker loss which makes me happy. My goal was 12 pounds for the 12 week session, and I made that goal. That will be my same goal for the next 12 week session that starts the week after this.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

Joanne D
04-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Hello Everybody...
Tammy I have some steriod pounds too. I have been on this predisone since the first of Feb. They cut them in half. I see a new primary Dr. monday. I hope he will either take me off or at least cut them again..
My hubby won't eat the bag salad either.. I have about stopped buying it. It goes bad to quickly.
As to being the pack rat that I am,I always think I must keep things as I will use them someday.. I kept a pair of jeans hanging in my closet for about 20 years. They were too small. Well guess what. I put them on a few years ago and they were too big. I took them up and now they are almost too big again..Not really bragging! Just a little.. I have boxs of yarn . I will make blankets out of them . Drawers od material. I may make quilts .. Yes I am bad!!!
Meme- Send me some of that rain! Our daughter said they are flooded too. Her hubby is happy.. Makes the grass grow for the cows..He has rye out now .. I hope it works out for Ross at home.. I used to tell my brother we raised our kids now it is time for our kids to raise theirs..
Kate- I couldn't live without my ac.. My sister hardly uses hers. Mainly because she doesn't want to pay for it.. I tell the hubby tough,put it on..
The pollen has been so bad here that he agrees because of the allergys..
Squeak.. If you live in Fl. There will be rats. mice etc.. If you have fruit trees there will be fruit rats. If you live near woods there will be field mice and rats.. Squirrels are as bad as rats.. They will get into your attics.. We have fought them for years. We went to a lot of expence to make sure we keep them out.
Happy- Good weight loss..
Easter next week. I plan on just 8 people. I hope I don't end up with too many. Last year I had 3 more than I planned for.
Have agood weekend...
Joanne

Kate53
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Good morning everyone! That rain we had was so short lived! Hope we get some more soon as the "lushness" is starting to come back to the area..(along with the humidity and heat!). Yes, there is nothing like A/C...great invention...couldn't live without it now!
Tammy, I'm sorry to say I have no idea what Emmaus is or what an Emmaus Team would do but I tend to feel it might be along a religious line. Perhaps this woman feels a "need" to serve on this team for the same reasons you feel she shouldn't? Maybe she is aware of her shortcomings or deeds and finds that being on this "team" helps her? Like I said, not sure what your team does or how it operates but could she "need" this place on the team?
I have only taken steroids for a severe cases of poison ivy/sumac many, many years ago. I used to get it so badly, I would have to have shots and pills to help clear it up. Those were horrible episodes I hope to never experience again. My whole face would be swollen and oozey with my eyelids practically closed. It usually came from someone burning it up north. Don't even want to remember that....
I have been trying out new recipes here and there and have subscribed to a great web site (www.everydayhealth.com) that sends me recipes everyday. Some look good but I will usually have to "tweak" them for my tastes. I grow fresh herbs on my patio and use them when I cook. I've always had an herb garden but especially love being able to have one year round down here!
Where I have been limiting myself to all whole grains, I am always looking for new bread type stuff. Arnold's Bread has just come out with a new round "sandwich thin" that is excellent! It comes in whole wheat, multi grain and white, is 100 calories and is great plain or toasted. Very user friendly...
The Queen had a bath yesterday...first time I have done her myself! (I used to send her to a groomer.) I was pleasantly surprised how well she behaved. The only thing I wish I could have done was use a blow dryer to dry her faster and "fluff" her but she looks and smells clean so... mission accomplished. She has been very nocturnal lately...Need to go get something done. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day.

Tammy
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Joanne, aren't those steroid pounds for the birds? Hope you will be able to go off of them soon and lose those pounds. LOL about the packrat. My mom would save things "just in case". She saved recipes galore that she had cut out of magazines and newspapers. My brother said that if she would have tried each recipe, she still would have some left even if she had lived to be 200 years old. I think he was right!

I remember you having extras last year for Easter. That makes it tough on you, so I hope you only have what you plan for this year.

Tim, Lauren, and I are headed to Frankenmuth, MI, for Easter weekend. Her mom is going to her brother's house, but Lauren can't go because of school on Fri. and Mon. We will head up Fri. afternoon and be home on Sun. afternoon.

Kate, Emmaus is a 3 day spiritual walk with God. I know this woman does feel the need to be on the team. My concern is that she is a user, and the women at her table that weekend will bear the brunt of her because she will be calling on them for many things - money, rides places, buying things for her, and the list goes on and on. Our area board members don't think she should be serving, but the pastor in charge has the final say, and he says she is fine. He doesn't know everything that she has done in the past, OR he doesn't believe it. Even her own pastor feels she shouldn't be there because of the user that she is. I know it doesn't sound very Christian of me to be this way. I have prayed and prayed for God to help me with this, and I'm not feeling any better. I know on the weekend, I will have a totally different job than she will, so I really won't have contact with her. I just worry about how the women at her table will be treated.

Ouch to the poison ivy episodes! I think I've only had it a couple of times, and I never had it bad at all. That's great that you are trying new recipes! I have a few cookbooks with recipes marked, but I never try them. We have been stuck in a rut for years. Always the same foods. Do you get Arnold's bread someplace special? I wonder if we have that around here? Glad that Queenie is smelling good! It's time for Maurice to have a bath too. He is up to 11 1/2 pounds, so he's a bit easier to bathe.

Hello to everyone!

Joanne D
04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I use Arnolds bread.. It has double fiber and 90 cal. If you are on WW points that is 1 point per slice.. It is whole grain ,whole wheat.. I sure do like Publixs multigrain bread too. I just don't know how many cal. are in it so I don't buy it very often.. I try to stay away from their other breads. I like them too much.. Bread is one of my downfalls.
Christie has gotten better about her baths. It used to be a big fight. Now she can't get out of the tub fast enough when it is done.. She lets me know what she thinks about it when I start drying her off..
I hope to have only a small crowd this year.. Too many is just too hard for me anymore.. 8 people 9 if my son-in-law changes his mind and comes.. He wants to stay home because of the animals. Dogs,cats, cattle.. They live in N/Fl.
There is always one person in a crowd who is a user.. For awhile you can feel sorry for them ,but, then it just gets old..
Dr. appointments tomorrow.. Hope he will take me off some of these meds.
Joanne

squeak351
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh!I love the Arnold Sandwich thins! The multigrain ones are so yummy! Try using them to make a "pizza". Add a salad and you have dinner in no time.

Rain- I am so tired of rain but we are still considered being in drought. Last year even the lakes were drying up. It was really scary, now it's back to raining all the time. I don't want it to stop raining, I just want it to stop raining everyday. And if I am going to put a request in, it can rain through the week but no rain on Fri, Sat or sun! LOL

Yesterday was a beautiful day and we went out on DH's john boat. We all three caught a beautiful striped bass but we gave them to Dh's friend because Dh won't clean them or eat them. DD was thrilled to reel her fish in. I got a little sun burned on my arms (didn't even think about sunscreen) and Dh had taken his shirt off. He is paying for it today. I had to rub him down in aloe and he whined the whole time. Men are such babies.

Tonight I have to cook two meals one for me and one for DH. His friend is coming over and I am cooking enough for the both of them, plus our DD and his DS. I don't want what they are having so it's two meals. BUT I am not going to complain, they are working on putting in a dishwasher for me. I don't have one at all now so it's quite a job. I am a little excited. I have been 5 years now without a dishwasher and I hate washing dishes! :D DD is excited too because I usually have her wash the dishes.

Tammy
04-06-2009, 05:17 PM
sounds like I need to check out that Arnold's bread! Tim just gave Maurice a bath, and he did very well. Well, both of them did actually!!

We've had some snow today! It isn't sticking to the ground, but it's still snowing. I don't like that. I want warmth and sunny days!!

Joanne D
04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
We saw the new primary Dr. today.. I really like him..He seemed really interested . He was disturbed at the kind of care we have been getting..He said my hubby should see a cardioligist once a year. He hasn't seen one in5 years because the other Dr said he didn't need to.He had quad bypass 14 years ago.. I have an appointment with one this Thusday..He said that due to the fact that I almost died this last time ,that if we had has proper care it might not have been as bad as it was..We see him again in a week after we have blood work tomorrow..He said that I must have had a heart attack before I got to hospital and one while in there.. They only told us about one.. It is not hard to see why my daughter and son were so upset with the other Drs.I know I am 76 but that is just a number.. I want to stay healthy till at least 95...
Kate we haven't had more than 30 min total rain in months here where I live..I am on west coast.. Very dry.
hello Everybody
Joanne

Tammy
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Joanne, so glad that you like your new doctor! It does sound like he is interested. I can understand him being disturbed about hubby not seeing the cardiologist. My dad saw one at least once a year after his bypass. I agree about wanting to stay healthy!

A few weeks ago I went to a thing called LifeLine Screening. It runs all kinds of medical tests, and then the results arrive in the mail unless their doctors find something that needs attention. I received my results today, and everything came out normal and better than normal! I am thrilled!! Apparently all the exercise and eating better is doing something right.

The reason I went for this is because a friend of mine had done it a year ago. They find something on the ultrasound of her abdomen, and notified her right away to contact her doctor and gave her results to take with her. She ended up having surgery and had a tumor the size of a football removed. It had never caused her any pain or discomfort in any way. She is a bigger person (like me) so it really wasn't noticeable. No cancer, and she feels so much better.

It was still snowing a while ago.

Kate53
04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Hello everyone. A very breezy and cool day here in Florida. Temps got down to 50 last night and will down to almost 40 tonight. Yesterday afternoon hit 91 degrees! Strange weather we are having this spring! The drought conditions are terrible and with this wind and wild fires are a real threat. Hopefully some of these idiots will think before throwing that cigarette butt out their car window!
Joanne, great to hear you have found a new primary doctor who will keep you and your hubby on track. I can't believe the other doctor saw no need for the cardiology check ups after a bypass.....that is so not good! I'm sure you will both be happier with a good doctor that pays attention to the details. And those sandwich thins are a new item from Arnolds. I found them at the end of the produce isle in Publix. They really are very tasty and yes, Beth is right about using them for mini pizzas . Great for a quick lunch.

Tammy, I have heard of those lifeline scans but I haven't seen anything like that offered around my area. I suppose I could call the local VNA to see if there is something like that here. I'll be getting my blood work done in a couple of weeks for my next doctor's visit. So far so good but I am anxious to see if my weight loss has affected my cholesterol readings. Guess we'll find out soon enough!
Beth, don't know how you have managed without a dishwasher! I cook so much that I couldn't imagine doing without one. Microwave..yes, dishwasher.. no!

Trying to get the rest of my housework done. Have been keeping on top of it. I'm not thinking of Easter this year. We used to do a "Polish" Easter with ham, pierogies, kielbasa, easter bread,etc. but that is soooo much work for just the two of us. No, maybe just a roast or something simple. I am on a roll with my diet and am trying to get back on that darn elliptical so I need to stay focused.
Thanks for explaining the Emmaus ceremony, Tammy. Perhaps everyone involved should just politely say "no" to her requests. I'm sure a "Gee, I would love to but...." would help her realize her expectations are unreasonable and she should try fending for herself. Some people can be overwhelming with their "neediness" and make life unpleasant for others. Maybe some of these women she is with on the team will be able to say "NO". There is nothing about Christianity that says you need to be used and abused, right? I hope it all works out regardless and that you all enjoy your ceremony. Good luck.

Off to finish mopping. The "Queen" has been so nocturnal the past few nights. I think it is because we are coming up to the full moon tomorrow night. I definitely think there is a correlation there with her breed....minding that flock of sheep and all. I guess I should be gratefull she feels the need to "watch out" for me...I just wish she didn't have to be so vocal about it!!
Have a great evening ladies....

Happy Canuk
04-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Hi. Well Spring has FINALLY arrived here in Alberta. It has been up in the 60F's for the past few days. The snow around me is gone, but on the north side of anything, it will take awhile still. Feels good to see the sun, but of course, with Spring and the fluctuating temps, comes pain for me. I am very stiff and sore today, but I do know this, too , shall pass.

Ths might be of interest to some of you - it was to me! I want to try it for the fatigue part as I don't have depression or anxiety.

I saw this on the news last night, and thought I would post it. We should ALL get probiotics (just buy them in the store) and see what happens. Also, said may have less heart palpitations as well as less gastric problems.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090406/probiotics_anxiety_090406/20090406?hub=CTVNewsAt11

I had the rest of the mole removed on Monday (laser) and now it is gone. Still quite red, but that will be looking much different in a week from now.

Hope you all have a nice Easter. We are going to my daughters, and I am cooking for 28 people. She has the broken arm and can't do it, so it is ME - who I THOUGHT was done with all this :lol: I shall be tired, but it's ok. Also, have 3 birthdays to celebrate - my brother had his birthday yesterday, my son has his on the 17 and my nieces hubby has his on the 15 so we will have a great party!

Mima - hope you are having a comfortable time wherever you are right now.

Meme - how is Ross doing? and you? Has some of the stress left you now that Ross is back home (I hope)

Hi to Joanne, Tammy, Squeak, and Kate.

MemeToo
04-09-2009, 02:51 AM
YEA ... TAXES ARE DONE ... at least my part is! I can take them to the CPA tomorrow morning and he can finish them. 2 down and one to go ... the two being Ross and the taxes and the one being the Easter Cantata. We have one more practice, Fri. night and then the Cantata is Sun. morning. I won't know what to do with myself Monday. :D For one thing, I have to get this nasty house cleaned up, then get the rest of my paperwork caught up. I haven't balanced a bank statement in ... hmmmm, except the business, of course. I have 3 other bank accounts I take care of. Then there is all the laundry I have let slide ... maybe I'll get caught up with all this by Summer!

I'm not sure, but I think Ross went home and slid back into the same habits as before ... so sad after all we went through here. One reason I think this is that his mom called me 2 days ago and said she wanted me to talk to him then handed him the phone. I asked him what was wrong and right away he started in telling me why he didn't want/need to do his homework. I listened for about 30 seconds and said, "be quiet and listen to me. Sit down, do your homework and stop giving your mother grief. You know you are going to have to do it eventually so what's your problem. Just do it and get it over with and stop acting like a 5 year old. I'm tired of all your whining. I'm going to hang up the phone and if your mom calls me back I'm getting in my car and coming over there and trust me, you do not want that!" He said, "yes maam." I called her later and told her to start being the mom ... for heaven's sake ... he's TWELVE! I told her to stop letting him walk all over her like that, next time just knock him down in his chair and tell him to DO IT OR ELSE! I'm so tired. Going to bed.

Kate53
04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Good morning everyone. I am going to take a day for myself! Can you believe it? A whole day to myself! I walked the Queen, she's fed, on her bed, I've showered and I'm off to see a GF who works at Dillard' Prescriptives to have a mini make over and then off to check out new mattresses. Hubby has agreed to go Sat. and check out the one I choose, because I have the pain issues. How generous can that be??? I have spent 2-3 weeks researching all options and I am leaning towards a spring-free latex model that is suppose to be great for pressure point relief and longevity. It's also a good choice for "people of size" because the latex holds up longer and sleeps cooler. I'll check out some different models and see what's what so I can narrow it down to 1 or 2 for Saturday. God forbid I should keep him out all day shopping for a mattress! We also have company coming over Sat. evening for a late lunch/earlydinner so need to plan accordingly. Just excited to get out of the house and away from my regular duties....
Very cool here past few days. We're suppose to be warming up starting today and getting even warmer by the weekend. Looks like we will be up to the mid-80's by next week which is more like the April weather we're suppose to be having. We still need lots of rain though so... all of you out there.... do a special rain dance for us, okay?
Off to enjoy my day and I hope you all enjoy yours! Will check back later....

Kate53
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Hello all! Just stopping in to see how everyone is doing. I've been busy trying to get things done for the weekend. Having company tomorrow evening when we get back from mattress shopping. Did a "fire and hire" this week! Fired the lazy landscaper I've had for 2 1/2 years and hired a new one that my neighbor uses. The place already looks better after just one visit. I got tired of babysitting the old one. Told him we were not on the same page regarding my landscaping needs and that he needed to pay closer attention to his business and not to his video games. I certainly like the guy, but he is young and just doesn't realize the potential of his business. I think he may be losing too many customers...hopefully that will be his wake up call.
Haven't heard from you Mima. I certainly hope all is well and you made it back home in one piece. Did you mention you were moving into a different apartment? Candice, Tammy, Joanne, Meme, and Beth....hope you are all doing okay and are feeling healthy. I'm going to be swimming in the pool after today. I turned the pool heater on for the weekend. Need to get some exercise...that "arm dangle" is just driving me nuts! I can almost hear it "flapping" in the wind!! Ughhhhhh! Bye for now.

Mima
04-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Good morning-we got back yesterday morning so I was really busy-still more stuff to bring in.
It all went so wel-they got the furnace and ac installed and it was working Tues afternoon. I did some data entry for the camp . We are treated so well when we go there-love those people!!! www.whispermountain.org We even had some snow!!
Went to church last night and Sunday we are going to church with Brett and Angela and then meet my kids for brunch.
The tenant is coming to talk on Monday and we can settle what she would like us to leave for the furniture-just borrow. Dennis's couch is still downstairs.Rita is coming to clean next week-I got boxes to pack.
Tammy-I have a huge problem with users!!! Kate is right=people need to say no to her. Possibly confront-listen to me -I am so brave because I don't have to do it. Wow-we listened to a Pastor in Robbinsville and he confronted someone who ran off with someone and left his wife.
Wow to you Anne for all that cooking. Have a great time!!!
I am so glad we can move the hutch and couch downstairs!!!
Joanne-Brad goes to the heart doc twice a year. So happy you got a new doc.
Hi beth-Meme-I think I used to be like your daughter with my middle son-you have to be tough but I didn't do well in that area.
DH is up-he's growing a beard for the 250th celebration here-he will be a brother of the bush and march in the parade.
Glad to be back-Mima Happy Easter-would love to be at Meme's cantata!

Joanne D
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
HAPPY EASTER ,
:easter3:EVERYBODY!:easter3::bunny2:
Hope we all don't eat too much . I for one will be on crash diet monday'
Love you guys, Joanne

Tammy
04-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Hello from Michigan! We arrived later last night than we had planned. Had I told you that Tim has joined the Emergency Medical Services in our town? He has been on duty many times (an observer for now), but they haven't had any runs. Welllllllllllllllllllllllll, yesterday he had his first run!!!! They delivered a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that awesome or what??? There were 2 paramedics, the driver, and Tim. The baby (6th one for the couple) was born breech with cord around neck before they got out of the house, but everything is fine!! Tim talked nonstop the entire 4 1/2 hours driving up here. He even had some calls on his cell phone from other squad members congratulating him on his first run and how cool it was.

Anne, glad the mole is gone! I'll have to read that article after I finish with this post.

Meme, it does sound like he fell back into his old habits. That's sad. His mother has to take charge and be the parent. I told several parents that at conferences over the years.

Kate, how was mattress shopping? I purchased a Tempur-pedic last summer after Bob passed away. We had been planning to shop for a sleep-number bed, but he never felt good enough to go anywhere. I really like the one that I chose. I miss it when I'm away from home.

The woman who is a "user" preys on people she has just met. Those of us who know her, know what she is like. I feel like I should warn all of the new women who will be there that weekend, but that's not very nice. I just keep praying that it works out for the best. I do know that it was brought to the attention of the executive board of the community the other night, and the head pastor acted like he had no idea any of it had ever happened. There were a few of us there that called him on it because we had informed him about the issues more than once. I guess I've done what I can.

Mima, glad things are getting situated for you.

Joanne, I"m with you about the diet! After this weekend, I'll need to do something!!!!

Candicej
04-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Hello..sounds like you are are doing ok without me:) Just been busy, started another healthy eating challenge on another board I have been on for years, so I am walking the tredamill again and somedays doing too much extra...want to get at least 10 pounds off so my clothes fit better. Having such a problem with my tummy and gas/indigestions bloating..see the gastro this month for my biannual endo..and 10 year colonoscopy. Been taking prilosec but it is not helping any. Gotta make sure my Barrett's is still normal since they are precancer cells...acid reflux can aggravate it.

Tammy....I do not like users and would like to be told iof I am being used! Great for Tim......Jean... Some stretch out some don't....I gotta have a big waist or I can't breath. I like soft things too.....

Mima...I had mice allthe time at the other hosue..I hated those droppings!

Joanne...you sound like you might be overdoing too soon.....Jaz had a bath the other day....he doesn't mind it but it is hard to lift him in and out.

Happy....I need to see a dermatalogist I guess....get a bunch of rough places on my skin (face) that do not go away. Internist does not know what they are. Hope yours heals fast. My toe is getting better but still hard to wear toe (tennis)shoes to walk.

Beth..hows the diswasher doing?

Kate...glad queenie is doing better, do you use those resistance bands for your rams...I hhok mine tot he tredmill and us them while I am walking...kills two birds with one stone:)

Meme..glad you have your house back....good for you on the phone call:)

Cats room all clean and smells better....scrubbed from head to toe! Been in the yard a few times but too cold right now and our back yard has a wet spot right where the flowers beds are.......

Candicej
04-12-2009, 03:32 AM
:easter2: :easter3:Happy Easter

Mima
04-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Happy E
Easter!!! Going to a brunch after church with Brett and Angela. The brunch is with my other 2-today is Suzanne;s birthday.31!!!
Did the big shopping-I will be glad when we don't have to bring them upstairs.
Tammy-that was awesome about Tim's first call. Wow!!!
Suzanne had a terrible cough and I told her to get Mucinex and she said it worked wonders.
Glad to hear from you
Candice. My foot feels better from wearing the orthotics,
Meme-I know you have a busy day. Hope it goes well.
The high here is 39 and windy,
Hi Beth-have a great day!
Joanne-I am sure people will help you-take the day off tomorrow. I know Anne is busy.
Hi Kate!!!
Mima

Kate53
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Happy Easter everyone! :easter2:

Weather very sunny and warm here. Great news about Tim's debut, Tammy. I am glad his first call was a "good" one and not some terrible accident or something. Hopefully, that is a good sign for his chosen profession! Do enjoy your time with the family over the holiday.

Candice, I am trying to "convince" myself to get my butt back on the elliptical which does have a lot of upper body action. The "poles" go back and forth with the legs, replicating a cross country skiing motion. I'm sure between that a some extra reps with 5 pound weights would definitely help. The problem is with me getting back into it! :dust:

We chose a Sealy Spring-free Latex mattress. It's going to be delivered next Saturday. We bought the "River Crest" model. I did about 4-5 hours worth of research on them before shopping to make sure we were heading in the right direction. The memory foam (Tempeurpedic) mattress felt VERY strange to me....Now we should be able to get up in the morning without all these pains!:crossed:

Had a nice visit with friends yesterday but hubby and I were very surprised they walked in with nothing. That's right...nada... No wine, food, beer, etc. And, the get together was actually their idea! :?: I made homemade whole wheat pizzas again and some SB friendly chicken wingettes. That's it for me....next time it's their house and their effort!

I'm going to put a rump roast in the oven for our dinner. Just the two of us so we can keep things casual. Might go for a dip in the pool and catch some sun on the patio. Poor Queenie is feeling the restlessness of having the house closed up and the A/C on. It always takes us about a week to get used to it. I took her for a slow, long walk this morning to make up for it.
Hope everyone enjoys their Easter Sunday.

Mima
04-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Good morning! We went to a great service with Brett and Angela.saw the kids-Becky cried when I held her-she is so cute, blonde hair and blue eyes. Debbie never forgets us.
Brunch was nice-all that concern about timing and we were seated at 1:15 and it was over at 2:30. Bobby asked the waitress for my lemon merangue pie-yummy. Then we went back to Bob's and gave Suzanne presents and she blew out the candles on her cake but everyone was too stuffed to eat it.
Back to packing-definitely optomistic about it all coming together!!! It's not the same as moving to another house. the tenant is coming over toady and I am hoping we can leave some things in the house-and we won't have to rent storage. I know she needs the twin bed . Then, whenever she leaves, it will still be ours.
Have a great day all-sure miss the warm weather but we got used to the cold in NC. Mima

Tammy
04-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Candice, it's good to hear from you! Be careful about doing too much. I'd be afraid to use the band when I'm on the treadmill. I'd probably hurt myself (or someone else).

Mima, I'm sure you'll be glad when you won't be taking things upstairs. I could use a piece of that lemon meringue pie right now! Sounds delicious. How did it go with the new tenant?

Kate, it was a huge relief to me that Tim's first run wasn't a bad accident or someone he knows. I need to get to the Y and give the elliptical a shot again. I hope your new mattress is as good for you as my new one has been for me. I absolutely love it! I can't believe your friends came with nothing!
Hope your dinner was yummy last night!

had my First Place 4 Health meeting this morning. They have started a new group on Monday mornings. I can't go on Wed. night, so I went today instead. I was shocked because I was down another pound after eating all weekend in Michigan. Apparently I made good choices, and I know that I did lots of walking. Gave blood this afternoon.

Kate53
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone! And I certainly hope you have all had a better Monday than I! That wonderful mattress we purchased on Sat and that was suppose to be delivered next Sat has disappeared into cyberspace I guess. Got a strange phonecall from Utica N.Y. first thing this morning telling me that the store where I purchased it had closed...as in empty, vacant, kaput. No mattress would be delivered. They did ask me for my charge card number that I used to purchase it so they could refund my sale. Yeah, right! Like I was going to just give this "bimbo" I don't know my card info over the phone! Don't think so! Strike one...And talk about rude....especially for being with the "corporate office". That was strike two...And not knowing where any of the processed paperwork from the sale here was....Strike three and YOU"RE OUT!! Thank God the purchase didn't have time to go through from Sat to Monday morning. I called American Express immediately and told them what happened. They suspended the charge and are taking care of everything so far. Then I had to shlepp around this afternoon looking for the same mattress but from a trustworthy store! I'm a bit "undone" this evening so I think I will mix myself a tall one, plan on leftovers tonight and call it a day!! Oh, and the kicker is that the same mattress from another store in Melbourne FL cost me $1200 more. That's because the store that went out of business (in just over 24 hours!) was selling stuff below the MSRP! I should have known that price was too good to be true! This is a good example of why it pays to use a credit card for major purchases instead of cash or checks. You always have the credit card company to back you up and follow through with these issues. It's much easier to write a check to the credit card company for the purchase and not have to chase crooks around for your money. By the way, the company that went under (Sleep City Mattress) was a subsidy of Carl's Furniture in case any of you are planning any purchases in the near future.??
Well, off to try and get rid of this tension headache...hope all is well with everyone. Yes, Tammy...my roast came out delicious. I think hubby will be enjoying it again tonight! Take care ladies....

Joanne D
04-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Kate - It will be leftovers here for a couple more days.. We have a sealy posterpedic. It was awful . We woke up hurting everyday. Our daughter bought us a memory foam topper.4 inch. Best thing we ever had.. We at least sleep with out waking up with pain.
Tammy- There are always people who come to eat with nothing in their hands. Those are the ones to remember for the next time.. They are also some of the ones who don't help with the clean up..
Mima- Glad you got home safe.. Hard to leave warm weather for cold though.. I hope this tenant is better than the last one. You are braver than I would be.. I don't think I could cope with renters..
Meme- Good for you.. The parents have to be the ones to cope with the problems.. If they can't cope with their children then they need to find a way and not dump them on someone else..
Candice- I think You are right. I think yesterday proved to me that I can't do the big family gatherings anymore .. It was almost too much for me yesterday and I just ended up in tears when our daughter left to go home..
Since I have been sick I don't seem to be coping too well with things that usually would not have bothered me.
I ate too much .. I started out good this am and ended up over eating tonight plus a piece of cake.. Not the way to get back on tract.
Hello happy...
Joanne

MemeToo
04-14-2009, 05:38 AM
I'M DONE, I'M DONE!!! :cheer:

It's such a relief to have everything over with. I even got almost all my housework done Saturday. I was needing to have some members of the choir over to work out some new songs for AFTER the Easter Cantata and there just wasn't a night this week I wanted to do that so hubby suggested I do it Sat. I looked around at my house (this was about 1 in the afternoon after the egg hunt at church and I was already tired). I said, do you even think that is possible. My house was a wreck ... I even had the sheets off the beds and in the washer. He said, sure, I'll help you. I called and invited everyone, we planned pizza and one man brought dessert. I started cleaning and hubby left to take off the trash ... didn't come back for nearly 2 hrs. Said he got stuck at his mom & dad's. Some man came by and wanted to buy their tractor or something. I thought I wasn't going to make it. He's so good to do stuff like that!!!

The Cantata was great ... the choir did so good. We had 3 members drop out because of sickness & one who was gone this weekend but we still had 19 & I was so proud of them. They are like my children! :D (As a matter of fact, that's what I call them when they start 'fussing'.) HA But really we all get along amazingly well. I had several say they were going to join after the Cantata, they didn't want to join in the middle of us practicing for it, so we'll have even more now.

Well, I have no BIG projects underway right now, so I'm just 'taking my ease'. :p Today I actually stayed in bed until nearly 11 o'clock and then, after my shower, I moved my pillows to the couch. It has been a stormy day again here and is still raining. I'm feeling it, too. I may just take off again tomorrow. (This could become a habit! ;) Oh wait ... it IS tomorrow! I'm having trouble sleeping ... could be because I slept so much today.)

Mima
04-14-2009, 06:59 AM
You need it Meme=I will do that on May 1.
Going to rheumo today to check on Methotrexate. It should be working now but sometimes I can't tell especially after packing all day yesterday.
We have a beutiful pillow top here and in FL but I put an egg crate on top of it here-awesome. I need all the help I can get.
Joanne, i am sure you will figure something out about the holidays-you have so many nice traditions that it';s harder than usual.
The credit card co-Chase-remove those false charges for us-they had gotten suspicious and tried to call but our phone here was not in service. Need to give them our cell.
Bye for now-Mima-Glad you had a nice time, Tammy!!!

Tammy
04-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Kate, sorry to hear about your mattress fiasco! I totally agree about using the credit card for big purchases.

Joanne, you are so right about those empty handed guests and not helping to clean up. Since we've moved to the smaller home, we haven't hosted a big get-together.

Meme, Hooray!!! Glad that you got things accomplished. It's a good feeling, isn't it? Agree about the dreary day yesterday. I was miserable and cold the entire day. Today it is foggy and drizzly. Nothing on my calendar for today, so maybe I'll just hang out and do nothing. Too bad we don't live closer, we could do nothing together! lol That's great about getting new members and that things went well.

Mima, you reminded me that I need to make an appointment at the rheumo. Haven't been to her since sometime in the fall. Sometimes I wonder why I go because my meds have been the same for a while, and they help more than other things that I had been on. I guess just so she and I can visit for a few minutes.

I'm going on a bus trip to a casino tomorrow with people from here in town. I went last month, and I was the youngest one there, so it was kind of fun. I received a couple coupons in the mail from the casino, so I'll get to play on their money for a while. That's a good thing!

Kate53
04-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Good morning everyone! And a much better morning it is today. I actually fell back to sleep after hubby left for work this morning and didn't wake up till 7 am! That is VERY unusual for me. Guess I needed the extra rest after yesterday. Tammy and Meme, you are having the cold, dreary weather and we are having the hot, humid stuff. Nice breeze last night but still too warm to open up the house. We even had tornedo watches in the county north of us (Brevard). Now that the A/C is on it means higher electric bills through the summer. Oh well, the price we pay to live in paradise!!
Meme, I'm sure that feeling of being done with the taxes is a great relief. I used to always wait until the last day to get mine done through the accountant when I owned the business. I even filed a few extensions here and there.... I never enjoyed doing book work. Even now I catch myself ignoring it and have to force myself to go online and get it done. I've tried to make it so simple for myself with online banking and direct deposits and I still don't like doing it. Just one of those hate-to-do things I guess.
Tammy, which casino is near you in Ohio? I used to live a couple of hours from Foxwoods in Connecticut and we live about 2 hours from Seminole Casino in N.Hollywood here. Thankfully it's far enough away so we are not tempted to entertain ourselves. My hubby loves to go to casinos and so does my sister. I've enjoyed it a few times in the past but would much prefer to buy something for the house or have a pedicure. I've never been lucky with any gambling games. I do play the Florida Lotto 2X a week though...just in case! ;)
I feel like I'm in slow motion today for some reason. Very sluggish....Maybe because it's cloudy right now our because I need to de-stress. Whatever it is, I'm hoping a quick nap will snap me out of it. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.

MemeToo
04-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Another lazy day ... kind of like drugs ... makes me want more! I'm thinking, I may take "just one more" (isn't that what a person says right before they become an addict?). :p Seriously, about all I did today was to go over to my in-laws and fill out a pile of 'new doctor' papers for them and make a pot of stew. I feel so useless. But then ... that's not really such a bad feeling. Maybe I'll see just how little I can get by with doing tomorrow. ;)

Happy Canuk
04-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Well it's time for bed, but just wanted to stop in and say hi.

Meme - I had one of those days today, after my Easter dinner cooking spree. Ended up with 30 of us, and we all had a great time. Glad it's over with, however. I didn't have to do any of the cleaning up, as my DIL and SIL took over that aspect, along with my aunt and niece. That's the worst job, anyway - besides trying to find room to put everything BACK into the fridge after dinner.

Glad you are taking some LAZY days. I washed clothes today, now how hard was that!!! I was so tired after the weekend, and after my day of work yesterday. Tomorrow, I might do something, depending on how I feel.

Had a spring storm going on here today - dropped a lot of wet, sloppy snow on us, but most has already melted. It will be gone by tomorrow for sure.

Mima - Is it good to be back home? or do you think you will move to Florida fulltime?

Hi Tammy and Joanne. Hope you gals are doing good.

Candice - hope you aren't overdoing it.

My foot is still sore. I go back to the Foot Dr. at the end of the month, so hopefully he can tell me what the heck is going on. The Orthodics don't help at all. If he can't, I will go to my Dr. and get a referral to an Orthopedic Specialist.

Well, off to bed. Have a good day tomorrow. Hope you all slept well.

Mima
04-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I went to PT for 12 visits and they gave ne great exercises and they didn't take too long. I am happy my foot is ok.
I went to the rheumo and he told me I have a form of rheumatoid arthritis-not the bad kind though. I am going to him for methotrexate shots instead of pills-they won't go through the liver. Another non-fatal disease.
Can't get anyone to clean this week so i will attempt it myself. I did some of the cupboards yesterday. Then we can bring things downstairs. Someone is coming on Sat to help and he is a tremendous worker.
It has been nice out during the day-cold at night. We won't move to FL year round-3 grandchildren here and more expected. That would be later on for more-Bob and Pam are not married yet. Suzanne may be the next one.
Kate-our electric bill is less in FL than here. Cheaper kw rate.
Did you get your mattress yet, Kate?
Bye for now-Mima

Kate53
04-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Good morning all. Sounds like everyone is having some of the "blahs" from either the weather or stress of doing so much. Glad I'm in the boat with company!
Mima, my new mattress will be arriving tomorrow sometime. I have to dis-assemble the bed first thing in the morning...take off bed skirt, sheets, mattress pad, etc...and get it all ready for the new one. It's always something around here! Need to get some cleaning done today too. I want to make some whole wheat banana nut muffins for hubby. I use Splenda instead of sugar so he can enjoy them. He had xrays done yesterday on both his knees...and it's not good. Bone on bone right now, and we don't know what his options are going to be. Not sure they will do knee replacements with his weight issue and age. He may have to use some alternantive treatments until he gets some weight off. Difficult situation, huh? Needs to exercise to lose weight but it hurts too much to exercise with his knees so he isn't losing weight! Quite a dilemma! We'll see what his doctor says when he gets the report and films.
Cloudy today here with possible rain showers due. We had some torrential rain yesterday, thank God...but surprisingly it didn't leave any "puddles" anywhere. Guess the ground sucked it up as fast as it came down! Hopefully this will help with our drought situation.
Off to run a few errands...my neighbor has asked for a favor. My phone started ringing at 7 this morning....Aren't I the popular one today??
Enjoy the day ladies! Hi to everyone!!!

MemeToo
04-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Cloudy and now sprinkling here ... another dreary day. We are supposed to have a couple of good days and then back to more storms. I'm having a lot of problems walking. My daughter broke her foot and took my cane so I'm having to use a crutch in the mornings. She is supposed to go see an orth. dr. tomorrow (I think) so maybe he'll put HER on the crutches and I can get my cane back! :p When I first get up in the mornings I can't hardly bear to put weight on my right foot ... top and ankle. MRI showed both Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis in it several years ago. Then, sometimes, it feels like one of the bones in the top of my foot pops or something and I can't walk for a while after that happens. It happened Sat. night while I had a house full of people and I still couldn't wall good Sun. morning and I had to stand for 40 minutes and direct the choir in the Easter Cantata! There isn't anything that can be done about any of that, either.

Mima ... I've been living with rheumatoid for over 30 years and it's not fun. I take Methotrexate pills ... 8 a week. They caused my hair to fall out ... twice. I wore a wig for a few years but then it came back and I quit. It has fallen out again but just in spots so now I'm wearing a hairpiece. My eyebrows also fell out.

Another jewelry party tomorrow night ... 4th one. Seems like when something like that gets started in a circle of friends it never stops. They all want me to give one but I 'just said no.' ;) I think I have more of that stuff now than the representative does! Besides, I find I LIKE saying "no" now.

Mima
04-16-2009, 06:48 AM
I am on a low dose. I would not be happy if my hair fell out. Sorry about your foot. It sounds like you have the rh my mother had.
Hope you like your bed Kate. Brad tries to get someone to help him take our bed downstairs but everyone is having physical problems. My gf has a hard time because she is overweight and hurts to exercise-Doc sent her to PT.
So tired last night I didn't stay up for Idol.
My legs hurt so I think I will just pack-I only have floor left to clean downstairs-it's not perfect but it sure is better than before. Even dog hair in refrig.
Bye for now-Mima

Kate53
04-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Good morning all. Well, hubby didn't win the lottery last night so I guess we just keep plugging away here! Took a break from ironing my bed skirt to check in and see how everyone is doing. The mattress will be here around 11-12. Mima, dog hair in the fridge?? Oh my...that would have me in a bleach and soapy water mode for sure! I have been called "Mrs. Clean" all these years by my family. I have this compulsion for cleanliness and neatness. Wish I could have helped you with all that. As sore as I get, I always feel better when I've cleaned. I have cut down to 1 Tramadol in the morning now with 2 advil. I found that the Celebrex wasn't giving me as much relief as I had hoped (especially with it's pricetag!) and I was getting cramps in my legs. Not sure if that is a side affect but I was having some issues with it so I stopped taking it and the cramps seem to stop. Still trying to get motivated to exercise more but don't seem to have it in me right now. Maybe once my hubby makes up his mind to get his weight off, it will be something to plan for together. Can't wait to hear what the doctor has to say about his options. You can bet I will go to this office visit with him!
need to get some more done before the delivery gets here. Cooking a small pork loin roast for dinner. I braise it in a dutch oven with stout beer, fresh thyme leaves and lots of sliced onions. I'm getting bored with my recipes and need to spend some time looking up and adapting new ones. I like the cook Nathan Lyon (Lyon in the Kitchen) on the Discovery Channel. He has some good recipes that I can adapt to SB easily. Enjoy the day...will check back later.

Tammy
04-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Kate, we go to casinos in southern Indiana on the Ohio River. I did ok yesterday, and we had quite a bit of fun. Lots of people watching which is always interesting. Send me one of those muffins! Sounds good.

Anne, sorry to hear that your foot is still sore. Hope you get some relief soon. Nice that you had others to help you for the Easter gathering.

Meme, hope you get the cane back soon, and I hope you get some pain relief.
We are actually having a sunny day today, and it is about 60 degrees! Nice. Good for you for saying no about the jewelry party. I'm getting better about saying no too.

Mima, sounds like you are doing too much, but I know that it has to get done.

Mima
04-17-2009, 07:06 AM
On Sunday, I am going to a Tastefully Simple party-Suzanne is picking me up and it's in town at her friend;s house. My future DIL sells it.
Well-Tim showed up with a chain saw and he and Brad worked on the yard. Hopefully, he's coming back today. But bill isn't coming tomorrow and he's the best!! Disappointed but trusting that someone else may come-that's if we ask them.
Slept downstairs last night-it was nice except Brad woke me upo and I had a hard time getting back to sleep-he had to go upstairs to eat.
We watched Slumdog Millionairre last night. Quite a movie if you can get through the gruesome part. I can see why it was best picture.
Insurance Company is giving me 300 extra dollars for the accident. And got the notice for the extra money from the stimulus. $250 each. Not bad for not working-ha !!
2 weeks left. I don't like to lose money so I don't gamble but sounds like fun, Tammy.
Hope you got a good night's sleep Kate.
Where did Beth go????
Mima

Joanne D
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Hello Everybody...
I would like to know how to get a lazy day.. Everyday there seems to be something I have to do.. I need to iron ,vacumn today. Plus the hubby wants me to go out with him to hunt shoes. He wears a boot and can't find the ones he likes.. I told him to just order the ones in Pennys. He thinks he can find them cheaper at Walmart. Well W/M doesn't sell them anymore and he keeps going to all the W/M in the area .I don't trust him to drive on 19 alone.. He is going to either rear end someone or who knows what. It is one of these cases that he won't give up the drivers seat.The arthritis has flared up in my right shoulder and I really don't want to do anything.OK I vented .
This is Greek Easter weekend.. I am not going to do it all over again.. I have lamb leftovers in the freezer and ham. I will make him a pie and that is it..
Although there has been a lot of rain in north Fl and even a good bit in the eastern part of the state we are still dry here.. My yard is brown and nothing is growing or blooming,except weeds.
Breakfast dishes are waiting for me in the sink. Oh yes I ordered some plants about 6-7 weeks ago. The check was cashed but no plants sent. Got to call them. Guess I am going to get on a roll..
Have a good weekend ..
Joanne

Kate53
04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Good morning all. We had an excellent night's sleep on the new mattress! Hubby really liked it and I didn't have the throbbing in my shoulder this morning. My hips still had some but I am sure it will get better in time with this new system. I'm trying to get my doctor to write a recommendation letter for the mattress so I can get a refund on my sales tax. $200 bucks is $200 bucks, right? Long day yesterday but finally got everything ironed and put back on the bed. Slept good too. Tonight is going to be a simple dinner of leftovers and I need to get my butt to the local vegetable stand. Need lots of lettuce and veggies for more salads. I'm trying to utilize everything in my garage freezer. We have a small second fridge out there (doesn't everyone in Florida?) and hubby keeps his beer, wine and soda in it. I use the top freezer for overflow and bargin buys. Now that hurricane season is coming up, I try to use up everything in there and just store bags of ice. We have a generator but only want to run it on 1 fridge if it becomes necessary. Some day I would like one of those "Guardian" whole house generators installed with an inground propane gas tank. Doesn't seem worthy of the expense if we don't have anymore hurricanes though, huh?
Joanne, I consider it an easy day when the phone stops ringing!! Hopefully it will be quiet this weekend. Don't know if hubby has to work Saturday yet though. If so, I will just spend the day cleaning up the outside patio/pool area. The everyday "fallout" makes everything out there dirty and dusty...need to hose down the deck after a rain storm to get rid of the dirt from the screens. Hope everyone is feeling healthy. Off to buy my veggies and then home to clean the patio and fertilize my areca palm hedge. Always something! Bye for now.

MemeToo
04-18-2009, 03:46 AM
We run 2 fridgs, one in the basement and one upstairs, both with side freezers plus we have an upright freezer. We bought a 1/2 beef not long ago so they're almost full. About the only thing we keep in the fridge in the basement is cokes & water and ice in the freezer.

Are any of you on facebook? I was thinking we might could link up and actually chat sometime if you were.

Mima
04-18-2009, 06:21 AM
I love facebook-I keep track of everyone-it's fun.
Went and got a small dishwasher last night and then ate out. The small ones cost more than the big ones but we got it at a Sears outlet.
The apt has a small frig and I hate to get a new one. We will keep one table top on in the laundry room-yes-I have a laundry room. The drinks take up the most room. No beer -Brad doesn't drink .
Telephone wire and satellite today. And one load of stuff in the trailer instead of running up and down. We are doing so well and it's so cute down there!
Boy-Kate-you sure have energy!!! I am losing mine but tomorrow will be a day of rest-almost because Angela decided to have one of the kids bd's tomorrow. It's usually only cake. Fortunately, I bought everyone's presents already.
Bye for now Mima

Kate53
04-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Good morning everyone. Mima, I think my energy level has dropped today! Feeling very tired for some reason. Slow walk with the "Queen" this morning and it is still cool out there. Had a full day yesterday though so maybe that's why. Even her royal highness slept all night...no barking! I took her for a big car ride and then a walk in the park by the Intercoastal. We have a great park off Rt 1 right on the Intercoastal Waterway. It was a wonderful, breezy day and Queenie got to meet all kinds of people. I guess I wore her out!
Really enjoying the new mattress. Even hubby says he loves sleeping on it. He has felt very rested past couple of mornings. Unfortunately he had to work today but hopefully will be home early.
Yes, Meme, I am also on Facebook. I had a cousin invite me and I joined but I don't visit it too often. I don't know how we could go about meeting up there without compromising our e-mail addresses here. I'm sure it is possible but don't know how we would go about it.
Feeling like I am way behind everything today. Time is just flying by. I never did get to those Areca palms so I should be out there doing that fertilizing. I also bought two 5 pound hand weights at Walmarts yesterday. I'm trying to get that "arm dangle" under control. I figured to start out with 5 pounds....(that is surprisingly heavy by the way!) Hope everyone has a great day.

Candicej
04-20-2009, 07:57 AM
:woo:Happy B-day to me:woo:

Kate53
04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Happy Birthday Candice!....It's my neighbor's b-day today as well so I think we should have a party!:celebrate:

A quiet day here yesterday. Hubby and I got the vehicles washed and some shopping done. Bought more tomato plants and two of those "Topsey Turvey" tomato planters. Hubby rigged up a pole to stick in the ground to hang them from by my back screen enclosure. I'll let you know how they work. I prepare a lot of Mediterranean style dishes so I always like fresh tomatoes.
Need to get some calls in to doctors offices today. I think they are going to recommend an orthopedic for hubby's knees. I sure hope they can do something for him to increase his mobility. He can't even walk around Walmart without being in pain now.
Not losing any weight these past two weeks. Guess I'm going to have to watch what I am eating more carefully. I must be getting too many whole grains...need to cut back.
Hope all is well with everyone.

Joanne D
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ,CANDICE..Do something special for yourself..
Kate -I hope the tomato plants do well. I had a tomato garden one year. The plants were taller than me.. I can't do those things anymore.. Too many outdoor critters here.. I hope the Dr. can do something for your hubbies knees. Ofcourse losing weight is the first thing he will be told.. If he is very over weight they may not do any kind of surgery.. I had a knee replacement 15 years ago.. Things are different now.. They say it is easier.. I don't want to go through that again. my left knee is really bad,but, as long as I keep my weight down it doesn't hurt as bad..
Yesterday was Greek Easter. I heated up the leftovers from last sunday that was in the freezer and the hubby and I celebrated alone.. That was how we wanted it.. Too many years we did both Easters. It is just too much work for me now..
The arthritis in my shoulder is giving me a fit.. I need to iron but know it is just going to be very painful .. I may just try to do a few at a time.. I rather just read my book..:D
Hello Everybody..Joanne

Candicej
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Kate I thought about those topsy things...but not sure where I would put them, they are so picky here about what you can have out....Might just put a plant in a pot.....I like the grape tomatoes...hope your hubbys knees get better......you always have such good sounding meals:)

Candicej
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I have been chasing ants, we had a bug man come and spray..now I am finding most of them dead....the gagrage is the worst spot. They said when we did the new landscaping it disturbed their nest around the house.

Mima
04-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Happy Birthday, Candace. Celebrating my friend;s bd Thurs-I am taking her to lunch.
Hubby transferred wires so i couldn't get on the computer but he put them back together.
Never put stuff on a cooktop and put on the wrong burner-what a mess!!!!! And it was my container of pills.
Getting a shot and chiro today!!!yeah!!
It doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere but we are! Bathroom is done. Living downstairs. Bought a new microwave last night.
Glad your new mattress is working out. Kate.
Take it easy Joanne. Bye for now-it's freezing upstairs Mima

Kate53
04-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Good morning everyone. A very long morning it has been . Spent almost 2 hours at orthaepedic office and the results are not good. Hubby needs both knees replaced. They're pretty bad by the looks of things. Other options have gone by the wayside at this point except for pain management until he can have the surgery. They do 1 knee and then about a week later do the other one. There is about a 6 week recovery/physical therapy time. So that means he can't work for approximately 2 months. We could handle that with his short term insurance but he is balking at having it done in general. He just doesn't want to go through it or miss the work. I think he is afraid they will try to get rid of him if he takes time out of work. I told him he could do the family/medical leave thing and they have to honor his position at the job. I don't know what he will decide but he really needs to do something and soon.
Making homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs today. I don't use any sugar at all in the sauce but if the tomaoes are acidic, I'll use some Splenda. I also use just a bit ofwhole wheat bread crumbs in the meatballs. Lots of garlic too! The whole wheat pasta I have been buying is really good! I can't even eat white flour stuff anymore because it tastes strange to me now....
Candice, we spray the perimeter of our house (3 feet up the walls and 3 feet out) every 4 months with a stuff called Termidor. It takes care of everything that crawls...ants, termites, beetles, spiders etc. Expensive stuff but it goes a very long way. One bottle of concentrate will last about 5 years. Good lick with those ants.
Hope things are going smooth for your move, Mima. Hi to everyone out there! Off to get my sauce on.

Mima
04-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Tiny ants came to visit-put out Terro and hope they are gone.
Went to chiro after hanging around for an hour-sign on the door, back at 2 and I had an appt at 1-he did come in early so I was glad I waited-ultrasound-ES- and adjustment-acupuncture for IBS-walk out with no payment. Wow!!!
I have one room done-bathroom. Goal is to finish kitchen today. Brad is building cabinets . 8 more days!!
Back downstairs -it's going to be 80 on Sunday.
That's quite a decision about the knees, Kate. 85 year old across the street recovered so well but he didn't have to worry about work.
Bye for now-Mima

Kate53
04-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Good morning all. Well, hubby has decided to wait until the very last possible moment to get his knees done. He's promised to start exercising and trying to get the extra weight off. We'll see! I've heard this before...but now he knows what's at stake. The surgery (results) will last longer (when he finally gets it done) if he maintains a normal weight. At least that should give him the incentive...ahhh... but will it? He's planning to do the surgery when his company has the slow down around Christmas. They close the plant he works at for 2 1/2 weeks over the holidays so he will most likely try to coordinate that schedule to his surgery schedule so he won't be missing too much work. His short term disability will give us enough to buy groceries with and we can plan ahead for the other bills. So, this gives him time to work on getting the weight off even if he has to get steroid shots in the knees to buy some time. Like I said...the best laid plans....
Breezy and cool here this morning. I went to have blood drawn early this morning...fasting is really difficult for me as I don't function well first thing in the morning without that 1 cup of coffee. Queenie got rushed on her short walk and is giving me "the look" like she's going to be a pain in my butt all day. Guess I'll have to take her for a ride and a walk along the river to placate her! She sure is a willful dog...
Need to get those tomato plants in those "turvey" things today too. Hubby drove a pole in the ground last night to hang them on out back. I still have tomatoes in my bowl from the other plants. Hope some of my neighbors like tomatoes! Off to get stuff done. Hope everyone is feeling well and enjoys the rest of the day.

Mima
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I love people that grow tomatoes-they always have so many.
Kitchen almost done. The big problem is deciding what to do with things.Lunch with gf tday for her bd.
My daughter is going like gangbusters getting ready fo dh to caome home-big party on May 16th.
That sounds like a good decision about the knees if he can stand the pain in the meantime.
And I hate blood draws but I am allowed a cup of black coffee-have to travel far.
Bye for now-Mima

Kate53
04-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Good morning everyone. A warm one here this morning and I missed the local weather report so don't know if I am going to shut up the house (A/C) yet or not. It's starting to feel like it is likely I will though! I was late getting going this morning with the Queen. She dragged her paws walking this morning too! That drives me nuts when she slows down to a "saunter" on the am walks. Usually it's to sniff every blade of grass! Oh well, need to accommodate her once in awhile I guess!
Doctors appointment Monday to weigh in and go over my blood work. I've been playing with the same 2 pounds all month....2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 2 off....need to go back to phase 1 for a week to get control here. That seems very hard to do once you've moved on to phase 2 but I really need to try. Getting motivated to exercise is a chore lately too. I've been feeling very blah....like I'm not interested in much. I have another name for it but can't use it here ;) Perhaps I am anticipating a hotter than usual summer? We still are desperate for some rain. Haven't had a drop in so long...it all stayed to the south of us the beginning of the week.
Off to the store. Need to pick up a few supplies, especially salad stuff. Making a bean, ham and cabbage soup tomorrow. The ham isn't probably that good for me but I know the beans and cabbage are on my list. I do love legumes....
Hope everyone enjoys their day. Mima, are you already moved in to your apartment or are you getting it "ready" first?

Mima
04-24-2009, 07:02 AM
We are moved in but dh is still building cabinets and closets-what a help that is. Cleaning the upstairs oven while I am on the computer.
My poor hands are hurting-that's where I have rh arthritis. I am going to have to have one of my rings cut off because of the knuckle.
Nice lunch with gf and leftovers for dinner. Supposed to go to Bible study tonight-hope we aren't too tired.
we are getting FL weather for next 4 days-the AC will be on.
Kate, I thought I would be losing weight doing all this work but I still have my 5 lbs on.
Hey all-check in-What;s going on? Mima
Love cabbage but can't eat it.

Kate53
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Another sunny morning here in Florida. No rain in sight either! We're up in the 600's for a drought factor now. That's not good! Phone call from my Drs office yesterday said I have a high potassium count on my blood work results. I'm to avoid bananas, orange juice, etc. The only thing I have changed is taking some Sytrinol for cholesterol lowering and cardiac health. I stopped that too. I have an appointment on Monday and he will send me for another blood test that afternoon to see if it has come down. I also looked up "hyperkalemia" (high potassium) and I'm thinking I might be a bit dehydrated as well. I really haven't been drinking enough water on this SB diet. Maybe 2 glasses a day and that is not enough so I am trying to "flush" myself by drinking more over the weekend. My cholesterol is all within normal limits now...yippee! My triglycerides are still a bit high (210) but did drop since Oct. I just hope this potassium thing is an isolated incident....
Soup came out excellent. Had to give some to my neighbor though because I ended up with so much. I do love to cook but I always end up with too much food. You can only eat the same thing for so many days before getting tired of it and I'm trying to use up what's in my freezer, not add to it! I just won't cook for a few days....we'll eat leftovers. As long as I have a big salad made up, I am happy.
Had to take extra pain med this morning. My hips are aching terribly lately. It's a deep throbbing kind of ache. I've been sleeping much better with the new mattress but for some reason my hips still ache. I think I need some stretching exercises...maybe that will help.
I need to get the house vacuumed and floors mopped for the weekend. Queenie has dragged in some sand from our morning walks. Hope everyone has a enjoyable day. Bye for now.

Mima
04-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Kate-Brad just went through that high potassium thing and he had to stop taking one of his meds but it's a med he needs. He also drinks little water. Hope yours comes down.
Went to Bible study-so nice to see people. Wow-what they needed to pray for makes our problems seem small. Billy is supposed to come this morning. Hope to get some more things done. Don't know how long I will last because we got home at 11 and I woke up at 5:30. My friend is coming Monday to help. We will go to Salvation Army. 9 bags and more to come.
80's for a couple of days. But we do get rain.
maybe I will put an ad on Craig's list for the air cleaners. Paid 900 for them when I was teaching-no room now. I even went up to the dreadful attic yesterday.
Hope everyone is ok-Mima

Joanne D
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Hello Everybody... This has been a busy day.. Laundry ,washed Christie and her bedding,shopping at W/M and grocery. Then the dr. called and adjusted my coumadin.. Never a dull moment...
No rain in sight here for at least another week or more.. We need it so bad.. We can only water plants or yard one time a week. No car washing..
I am trying to increase my walking.. My brother told me about eating two small squares of 70% chocolate a day to help lower high colesterol at least a year ago.. I did it for awhile before I got sick and it does help. Lately I have been doing it again.. We will see... You can get it at W/M. They also have 85%. That is sorta bitter..less sugar in it I guess. I haven't read the label..
I am still having a problem with my right shoulder.. Lots of pain off and on. Can't sleep on that side. What little I sleep ,I just want it to be without pain..
Have a good weekend everybody...Joanne

Candicej
04-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Do any of you still take estrogen? I have been completely off for a week now and can hardly stand it.....mood is terrible and I just feel like crap!!! The doc that gives it to me said I could stay on it if it was too doifficult without but other docs tell me to stop taking it. It is Estrace....one of the bioidenticles......Ovaries we taken at 36 so I have been on it for years....what ya think? I don't like feeling crappy....

Mima
04-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Well I still take it but am on the lowest dose. I tried too but I was miserable. I can't take the soy stuff because I can't take soy. I saw Dr Phil's wife talk about compounding meds-you should look it up.
Computer downstairs and fits perfectly next to bed. And vcr and dvd hooked up. Thanks Bill. My gf is coming tomorrow so we can go to Salvation Army. 10 bags.
I love Sundays-we don't work and go to lunch after church. Today is Longhorn because it's my bil's bd and he loves that place.
dd's anniversary-Jim is in Kuwait-home in 2 weeks.
Back to bed. Mima

Kate53
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Good morning everyone. Yes, Joanne. We surely do need rain desperately! We are still on a 2X week watering schedule but that might change at any time now. We have wildfires cropping up everywhere and because we are very windy right now, that makes it worse. And it's mostly these people throwing cigarette butts out of their car windows. No rain in sight for most of central Florida.:flame:
Hubby decided to get into the fitness thing I guess. He went out and bought a bicycle yesterday! I was shocked for sure! He rode around the block a couple of times this morning. He's going to try and put off having this knee replacement as long as possible so he's decided to work on getting the weight off. We'll see....I hope he can do this. His attitude can be very frustrating at times and dieting will certainly give him an "attitude".
Candice, don't know much about hormone replacement therapy. I treied Premarin for about a year about 10 years ago and hated it. I preferred to live with the hot flashes and night sweats which only lasted a short time and then I was fine. I never had that much of an issue with menopause symptoms. I was just excited not to have a menstral cycle anymore! I think if you can stand it for a bit longer, the "craziness" will subside and you will ultimately feel better. I felt very moody and "off" when I withdrew from the Chantix pill (I used it to quit smoking). I had about 10 days of feeling miserable and crabby but it finally subsided and I was fine. What about doing smaller doses gradually to lessen the effects?
A quiet day here today...at least I am hoping for one. Between the dog and my hubby I sure could use a quiet day! The two of them can be so needy sometimes and I get very frustrated when the demand gets too high. Hopefully I have made it clear enough this morning that I am feeling "tired" today and they will both ignore me! ;)
Hope everyone enjoys their day. Please pray for rain for us down here, okay? We sure do need it!

Happy Canuk
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi everybody

Mima - sounds like you are getting moved in and organized. It will be nice when it is done. Enjoy your lunch out today.

Candice - I had a hysterectomy when I was 33, but they left the ovaries. I took Premarin from the age of 50 and then about 5 yrs ago, I went on the estrogen Patch, which I really liked (Premarin never bothered me at all). After a couple of years, I was off the patch as well, and have been fine since. It think life is to short to NOT take something if you feel miserable. Suzanne Sommers and Dr. Phil's wife do the bioidenticles. Suzanne Sommers has a book on this, and said she feels years younger. Worth a read perhaps. I really never had a lot of problems with menopause, except for some hot flashes, but no mood swings.

Kate - I hope your hubby sticks to the diet and gets the weight off. Even losing 10% of your body weight can be a huge help.

I hope you and Joanne get rain soon. We have been having snow showers here. Really it is just very fat rain :lol: It is good moisture and it melts within a few hours, as it seems to come overnight. In the morning the ground is white. However the mositure comes, we will take it. Doesn't interfer with much.

Joanne - sounds like you have been a busy gal. I hope you are taking life a bit easier. It's too short to push, push, push.

Tammy and Meme - where are you? Hope all is well.

Have been working some, going to appointments, as I want everything done before we leave for holidays on teh 16 May. Getting my teeth cleaned tomorrow, and on Tuesday, have to go back and see the Foot Dr. Those orthodics are not really helping my poor old toe. Maybe nothing will. My Dr. want me to ask the Foot Dr., if surgery is an option, because if it is, he will send me to an Orthopedic Specialist. Will worry about that AFTER I come back from holidays.

I hope that you are all having a good day, and I am off to start a new thread, so please don't post here.

Joanne D
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Well ,I will try this again. The last reply is somewhere in space.
I tried to take hormone meds but, as I am prone to blood clots and had a problem with fibroids in the breast I had to quit and really didn't have too many problems with the change. I had a hysterectomy at age 40 . I too was thrilled to not have to bother with monthly cramps and generally feeling bad..
It is hard at times to get men to change their eating habits.. There are still some things my hubby will not eat or give up. Exercise is out of the guestion. He won't do it.. He won't even walk a block if he can avoid it.. He had a quad bypass 14 years ago and it still did not make a imprint on his thinking. If anything he has done less.
I hope your hubby ,Kate, will stick to it. Maybe you can slowly change his eating habits..
Yes ,I seem to be busy . There is always something waiting for me to do..
One thing I wish would slow down is all these visits to Dr. offices.. The Dr. called me yesterday to have me adjust my coumadin. Levels were a little high.. Never a dull minute.
I cut back another bush today.. My shoulder is going to hurt anyway so I decided to just go ahead and do what needs to be done.
Hello Everybody..Joanne

Happy Canuk
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Don't post here, go to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170156

It's not stickied yet. Thanks

Joanne - I hear you about Drs. I have had my fill of them as well. Just seems like it is always something going on.

The laser stuff I had done, is all healed up. I am very pleased with it and NOT pain or blood :lol: Now, if I could get my toe fixed up, I would be very happy, but the orthodics don't seem to do anything. I guess time will tell. See the Foot Dr. on Tuesday.